HENRIK FRANZON IS MY GURU

PB.82
Superunknown

HENRIK FRANZON IS MY GURU

Post by PB.82 »

From the Dutch newspaper: ‘De Volkskrant’ (translation: The People’s Paper)
Date: january 3th, 2019
Author: Peter Buwalda (1), dutch author / journalist / columnist / music lover
https://www.volkskrant.nl/columns-opini ... ~bcdaeca6/

...... HENRIK FRANZON IS MY GURU ....

For a better understanding I’ve added some numbered notes (*) at the end

“Without the Top 2000 there would have raged a civil war in the Netherlands for years, especially shortly after Sinterklaas-day (3) - so I am a supporter.

I am also Queen-fan, by the way. No bad word about Queen (4). (Queen is a strange band, don’t be mistaken, I would almost say the global “Bløf “ (5).)

Actually I never meet Queen fans, mostly Queen haters. Paradoxical, because the only thing the average Dutchman wholeheartedly agrees with is ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, the last piece of tape that keeps our people together.

My opinion about the Top 2000 in one word ?: ‘Top’. But it’s also ‘cunt’.

The latter because you have to vote. My democratic mood is moderate, I admit it immediately; choosing leaders is getting worse, let alone something as important as songs.

(I don’t give a f*** about paintings. It would be fun, an annual Top 2000 of paintings. On #1 Rembrandt’s ‘Nightwatch’, I think, the ‘Mona Lisa’, on #3 and on the number 2 position a tough Poortvliet-gnome (6). Haha, fine.)

For people like me, who latently make a point of the Top 2000 - who if they forget to swallow their medicines can also just walk into the Top 2000-pub (7) with the same name - , there is the website acclaimedmusic.net.

That site is ok, because at acclaimedmusic.net they use the exact opposite method. For a start, people have to keep their mouths shut, which is of course (the job) half done.

Furthermore Henrik Franzon, the Swedish nerd behind the 'acclaimed', is checking the facts for us all.

What Henrik Franzon does should involve more people: first as a Leo Blokhuis (8) he collects music lists - not from suckers, but from real pop professors and music journalists from all over the world - and analyses their content, like an Ionica Smeets (9).

Intelligent, well weighted, aiming for something objective. (I also imagine Henrik Franzon as a bald Ionica Smeets with Blokhuis' stubbly beard.)

That site is God. (No, not "good." God, Allah - if you like.) There is omniscience and transcendent truth. Everything is phenomenal, you can check the 10,000 songs of all time, the 3,000 albums of all time, but also the ‘best music’ per decade and per year, per genre, per country. And you can check his sources ...

(Drooling smiley.)

Best song: ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ by Bob Dylan. Praised Over the centuries and here mentioned in 103 critics' lists, which is very high. #2: ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’.

Best album: ‘Pet Sounds’ by The Beach Boys. According to 174 consulted lists, including those of authorities like Rolling Stone, NME, Mojo, but also the dutch ‘Muziekkrant Oor’. Runner up: ‘Revolver’ , Beatles.

Total enjoyment is the 1,000 best artists. (The Beatles stiff at the top, Elvis was 8, but recently he dropped to the 14th position - for a moment, I think.)

The strange thing about Henrik Franzon and his working method is that emotionally it’s water-tight. Which of course is a shame for Toto and dutch folk singer Boudewijn de Groot.

What about Queen? Good question! Queen rests at #80, between Elton John and Black Sabbath, that’s very nice. Well done!

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ is the #39 in the singles charts. Trailing songs like ‘Paper Planes’, ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ and ‘London Calling’, for which you have to search for with a tortch in the Top 2000. This is what the connoisseurs say - there is actually nothing to say further, whether you should hate Queen, or science.”

Notes:

1. About Peter Buwalda - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Buwalda
2. Top 2000 - Most popular & best listened radioshow in the Netherlands (https://www.nporadio2.nl/top2000), broadcasted each year (since 1999) from december 26th (6:00 am) till december 31st (11:59 pm). The Top 2000 is based on the votes of the listeners.
3.Sinterklaas a traditional dutch children’s feast. In recent years there’s been a fierce national discussion about the racist character of the feast ... because of ‘Black Peter’, Sinterklaas’ helper
4. Since the start in 1999 Queen’s ‘Bohémien Rapsody’ ends undisputedly this radiomarathon. More than 150,000 votes are casted for this Rhapsody
5. Bløf, most popular dutch TOP 40-band, who sing mainly in Dutch or in Zeeuws, the regional dialect of the dutch provence of Zeeland: https://youtu.be/N0OLEgc-Glk
6. Rien Poortvliet, popular dutch painter & storyteller: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rien_Poortvliet
7. During broadcast hours the studio is transformed into a pub. For which there’s a long waiting list.
8. Leo Blokhuis, dutch designer, rtv host & music journalist, who finds most of his facts on sites like Wikipedia etc. - http://leoblokhuis.nl/wordpress/
9. Ionica Smeets, a dutch Science Communication professor

Translated with the assistance of mr. Louis van Gaal, dutch soccer coach:
https://youtu.be/pnHsEiPu12w
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: HENRIK FRANZON IS MY GURU

Post by Nick »

I can't exactly say that I understand the Dutch language, the Dutch culture, or really what the author is getting at, but it's always good to see Henrik get some much deserved recognition.
PB.82
Superunknown

Post by PB.82 »

Nick wrote:I can't exactly say that I understand the Dutch language, the Dutch culture, or really what the author is getting at, but it's always good to see Henrik get some much deserved recognition.
... but you did understand the intentions of my post ... Apart from reading a - in my eyes - commical article about this forum in one of the leading newspapers in The Netherlands I wanted to give Henrik the credits he deserves ...
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

PB.82 wrote:
Nick wrote:I can't exactly say that I understand the Dutch language, the Dutch culture, or really what the author is getting at, but it's always good to see Henrik get some much deserved recognition.
... but you did understand the intentions of my post ... Apart from reading a - in my eyes - commical article about this forum in one of the leading newspapers in The Netherlands I wanted to give Henrik the credits he deserves ...
Oh yes! I understood the intention! I just had trouble following the author’s train of thought is all.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks PB.82!!! :D A very funny article that moved me a lot at the same time.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Being Dutch, this is extra funny.
All credits to Henrik, where they belong!

The translation to English is not quite perfect, but thanks anyway PB.82!
superedan
I'm New Here

Post by superedan »

Whether in the realms of mentorship, guidance, or inspiration, having a positive influence in your life can be valuable. If you have specific questions or topics related to Henrik Franzon that you'd like to discuss or learn more about, feel free to provide more context or details! Watermelon Game
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

superedan wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:06 am Whether in the realms of mentorship, guidance, or inspiration, having a positive influence in your life can be valuable. If you have specific questions or topics related to Henrik Franzon that you'd like to discuss or learn more about, feel free to provide more context or details! Watermelon Game
:character-cookiemonster:
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

:?:
superedan wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:06 am Whether in the realms of mentorship, guidance, or inspiration, having a positive influence in your life can be valuable. If you have specific questions or topics related to Henrik Franzon that you'd like to discuss or learn more about, feel free to provide more context or details! Watermelon Game
What's Henrik's favourite M&M colour?

Return to “General Discussion”