AMF Favorite Books 2020 Edition: Voting Thread

Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Re: AMF Favorite Books 2020 Edition: Voting Thread

Post by Michel »

BleuPanda wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:22 pm
Gillingham wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:49 am 44 | Truman Capote | In Cold Blood
Michel wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:11 pm 22. Truman Capote - In Cold Blood

This is non-fiction, correct? I haven't read it, so is there an argument for its inclusion here?
You are right. Please remove that title and add this one:

Richard Price - Clockers
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

BleuPanda wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:22 pm
Gillingham wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:49 am 44 | Truman Capote | In Cold Blood
Michel wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:11 pm 22. Truman Capote - In Cold Blood

This is non-fiction, correct? I haven't read it, so is there an argument for its inclusion here?
It's up for debate really. Yes, it could be classified as non-fiction, but it's also written as a novel by a well known fiction writer.
So lines do get a bit blurry, but I could follow a purist line not allowing this book.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

You can add 'Jonathan Franzen - Freedom' as number 50 and put the titles up to 45 once place higher.
Thanks!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Edited my list to add If on a Winter's Night a Traveler and removed The Lord of the Rings. Of course, I could have left LotR since I have 50 spaces to go, but I feel like the jump between Stormlight Archive and Catcher in the Rye is a bit of a gap. My 49-60 space includes Catcher in the Rye, Slaughterhouse Five, Lord of the Rings, Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Sound and the Fury, and Wuthering Heights - essentially, it's a set of classics I recognize as great works but don't exactly love as much as the 48 placed above, and none of them really need the support. But I like having a solid number, so Catcher in the Rye and Slaughterhouse Five benefit.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

1 | William Shakespeare | King Lear
2 | Fyodor Dostoyevsky | Crime and Punishment
3 | Dante Alighieri | The Divine Comedy
4 | Ralph Ellison | Invisible Man
5 | William Shakespeare | Hamlet
6 | George Orwell | 1984
7 | Harper Lee | To Kill a Mockingbird
8 | William Faulkner | The Sound and the Fury
9 | John Milton | Paradise Lost
10 | James Joyce | A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
11 | Ray Bradbury | Fahrenheit 451
12 | Kurt Vonnegut | Slaughterhouse-Five
13 | Toni Morrison | Beloved
14 | Cormac McCarthy | The Road
15 | J.D. Salinger | The Catcher in the Rye
16 | Charlotte Brontë | Jane Eyre
17 | Jane Austen | Pride and Prejudice
18 | Edgar Allan Poe | Short Stories
19 | Zora Neale Hurston | Their Eyes Were Watching God
20 | Chinua Achebe | Things Fall Apart
21 | Franz Kafka | The Trial
22 | John Steinbeck | Of Mice and Men
23 | Fyodor Dostoyevksy | The Brothers Karamazov
24 | Virginia Woolf | To the Lighthouse
25 | Oscar Wilde | The Importance of Being Earnest
26 | Vladimir Nabokov | Pale Fire
27 | James Joyce | Ulysses
28 | Homer | The Odyssey
29 | William Shakespeare | Twelfth Night
30 | Samuel Beckett | Waiting for Godot
31 | H.G. Wells | The War of the Worlds
32 | Charles Dickens | A Christmas Carol
33 | Margaret Atwood | The Handmaid's Tale
34 | Johann Wolfgang Goethe | Faust, First Part
35 | Joseph Heller | Catch-22
36 | Sophocles | Oedipus Rex
37 | Theodore Dreiser | An American Tragedy
38 | William Shakespeare | Othello
39 | Mary Shelley | Frankenstein or The Modern Prometheus
40 | David Foster Wallace | Infinite Jest
41 | Arthur Miller | The Crucible
42 | F. Scott Fitzgerald | The Great Gatsby
43 | Anton Chekhov | The Cherry Orchard
44 | Mark Twain | A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
45 | James Joyce | Dubliners
46 | William Shakespeare | Romeo and Juliet
47 | Gabriel García Márquez | One Hundred Years of Solitude
48 | Jane Austen | Sense and Sensibility
49 | H.G. Wells | The Time Machine
50 | Don DeLillo | White Noise
51 | John Irving | A Prayer for Owen Meany
52 | Henry James | The Turn of the Screw
53 | Charles Dickens | Oliver Twist
54 | Douglas Adams | The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy [Series]
55 | Aristophanes | Lysistrata
56 | Cormac McCarthy | Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West
57 | William Golding | Lord of the Flies
58 | John Updike | Rabbit, Run
59 | Roberto Bolaño | 2666
60 | William Shakespeare | The Tempest
61 | Daphne du Maurier | Rebecca
62 | Albert Camus | The Stranger
63 | Virginia Woolf | Mrs. Dalloway
64 | Kazuo Ishiguro | The Remains of the Day
65 | Louisa May Alcott | Little Women
66 | Arthur Miller | Death of a Salesman
67 | Sylvia Plath | The Bell Jar
68 | Virgil | The Aeneid
69 | John Kennedy Toole | A Confederacy of Dunces
70 | Miguel de Cervantes | Don Quixote
71 | Jonas Jonasson | The Hundred-Year-Old Man who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared
72 | S.E. Hinton | The Outsiders
73 | William Faulkner | As I Lay Dying
74 | Thomas Mann | Doktor Faustus
75 | Lorraine Hansberry | A Raisin in the Sun
76 | Tom Wolfe | The Bonfire of the Vanities
77 | Agatha Christie | And Then There Were None
78 | Charles Dickens | Great Expectations
79 | Henrik Ibsen | A Doll's House
80 | Tennessee Williams | The Glass Menagerie
81 | John Steinbeck | The Grapes of Wrath
82 | Stephen King | The Stand
83 | Franz Kafka | In the Penal Colony
84 | William Shakespeare | Macbeth
85 | George Orwell | Animal Farm
86 | Ray Bradbury | Something Wicked This Way Comes
87 | Joseph Conrad | Heart of Darkness
88 | Leo Tolstoy | Anna Karenina
89 | Khaled Hosseini | The Kite Runner
90 | John Irving | The World According to Garp
91 | Philip K. Dick | Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
92 | George Bernard Shaw | Saint Joan
93 | James Baldwin | If Beale Street Could Talk
94 | Carson McCullers | The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
95 | Ernest Hemingway | The Sun Also Rises
96 | Aldous Huxley | Brave New World
97 | HP Lovecraft | The Call of Cthulhu
98 | Jonathan Swift | Gulliver's Travels
99 | Tom Stoppard | Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
100 | Homer | The Iliad
101 | Robert Louis Stevenson | The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
102 | Victor Hugo | Les Misérables
103 | Shirley Jackson | The Haunting of Hill House
104 | Geoffrey Chaucer | The Canterbury Tales
105 | Alexandre Dumas | The Count of Monte Cristo
106 | Thomas Harris | Red Dragon
107 | Roald Dahl | Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
108 | Stephen King | It
109 | Voltaire | Candide
110 | Reginald Rose | Twelve Angry Men
111 | Charles Dickens | A Tale of Two Cities
112 | Jane Austen | Emma
113 | William Shakespeare | A Midsummer Night's Dream
114 | Henrik Ibsen | Peer Gynt
115 | J.R.R. Tolkien | The Hobbit
116 | Ian McEwan | Atonement
117 | Mark Twain | The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
118 | Sophocles | Antigone
119 | Amy Tan | The Joy Luck Club
120 | Herman Melville | Billy Budd
121 | Edward Albee | Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?
122 | David Mamet | Glengarry Glen Ross
123 | Emily Brontë | Wuthering Heights
124 | Tennessee Williams | A Streetcar Named Desire
125 | Franz Kafka | The Metamorphosis
126 | Ken Kesey | One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
127 | Oscar Wilde | The Picture of Dorian Gray
128 | Alice Walker | The Color Purple
129 | Nevil Shute | On the Beach
130 | Jonathan Franzen | The Corrections
styrofoamboots
Wannabe

Post by styrofoamboots »

BleuPanda, just a random note: it looks like rumpdoll and I both voted for The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, which is the first book in the Mistborn series. Not that it has enough points to make the list, but the points for the book should count towards the series, based on the poll rules.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

styrofoamboots wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:47 pm BleuPanda, just a random note: it looks like rumpdoll and I both voted for The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, which is the first book in the Mistborn series. Not that it has enough points to make the list, but the points for the book should count towards the series, based on the poll rules.
Yes, I already have these votes as Mistborn in my excel sheet - I am the lone vote for Sanderson's Stormlight Archives, so I recognized the title.
styrofoamboots
Wannabe

Post by styrofoamboots »

BleuPanda wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:01 pm
styrofoamboots wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:47 pm BleuPanda, just a random note: it looks like rumpdoll and I both voted for The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, which is the first book in the Mistborn series. Not that it has enough points to make the list, but the points for the book should count towards the series, based on the poll rules.
Yes, I already have these votes as Mistborn in my excel sheet - I am the lone vote for Sanderson's Stormlight Archives, so I recognized the title.
Awesome, thanks
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

Pauler wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:26 am I read quite a few books during college (The Kite Runner, Me Talk Pretty One Day & Never Let Me Go were a few favorites) but then stopped from 2013-2018 when I moved back to Vietnam. Only in 2019 & 2020 have I started reading seriously again and based on the ones I come across - mostly books written by Vietnamese-American or Asian-American authors.

01. Viet Thanh Nguyen - The Sympathizer
02. Ted Chiang - Stories of Your Life & Others
03. Ocean Vuong - On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
04. Yaa Gyasi - Homegoing
05. Ted Chiang - Exhalation
06. Amor Towles - A Gentleman in Moscow
07. Colson Whitehead - The Nickel Boys
08. Thi Bui - The Best We Could Do
09. Min Jin Lee - Pachinko
10. Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go
Is it possible to add a new one in my list? :) Recently read Circe by Madeline Miller and I'd like to make that my #11.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Pauler wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:18 am
Pauler wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:26 am I read quite a few books during college (The Kite Runner, Me Talk Pretty One Day & Never Let Me Go were a few favorites) but then stopped from 2013-2018 when I moved back to Vietnam. Only in 2019 & 2020 have I started reading seriously again and based on the ones I come across - mostly books written by Vietnamese-American or Asian-American authors.

01. Viet Thanh Nguyen - The Sympathizer
02. Ted Chiang - Stories of Your Life & Others
03. Ocean Vuong - On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
04. Yaa Gyasi - Homegoing
05. Ted Chiang - Exhalation
06. Amor Towles - A Gentleman in Moscow
07. Colson Whitehead - The Nickel Boys
08. Thi Bui - The Best We Could Do
09. Min Jin Lee - Pachinko
10. Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go
Is it possible to add a new one in my list? :) Recently read Circe by Madeline Miller and I'd like to make that my #11.
Certainly! I almost bumped the recommendation thread after reading this recently but figured it would be too late to convince anyone, so I'm happy someone happened to do so by chance.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:15 pm 1 | Thomas Mann | Der Zauberberg [The Magic Mountain] | 1924
That's an intriguing #1. What about it makes it your #1?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:15 pm 1 | Thomas Mann | Der Zauberberg [The Magic Mountain] | 1924
Uhh, make sure to tell me if you edit your list because I had your #1 and 2 flipped in the spreadsheet; were there any other changes?

Same for anyone else - I already have everything in the spreadsheet so I will not notice any changes you make unless you notify me.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

BleuPanda wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:48 am
Uhh, make sure to tell me if you edit your list because I had your #1 and 2 flipped in the spreadsheet; were there any other changes?

Same for anyone else - I already have everything in the spreadsheet so I will not notice any changes you make unless you notify me.
Sorry, I didn't really change my list. There was just a small mistake I made, that I corrected:

76 | Wilhelm Busch | Max und Moritz – Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen [Max and Moritz: A Story of Seven Boyish Pranks] | 1865 Anonymous | أَلْفُ لَيْلَةٍ وَلَيْلَةٌ [1001 Nights] | ?
77 | Dawn Cook | Truth [series] | 2002-04

But 1001 Nights is number 77 and everything else is bumped down one spot.
Instead of replacing every number I took the original list and re-numbered it (which is much faster); the problem is that in the original list 1 and 2 were still flipped, which I didn't realize.
Number 1 is Belphegor, Number 2 is The Magic Mountain. The only change would be 1001 Nights at 77 if you hadn't seen that before.
Sorry again for the confusion!
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:38 am
That's a hard question to answer.
I wrote something about the two highest entries on my list; I'm not completely satisfied, but here you have it:
The Magic Mountain is a novel of massive scale, even though there really isn't a lot of story. Hans Castorp visits his friend in a sanatorium on top of a mountain and stays for seven years. In German literature there's the tradition of the bildungsroman, a novel about a young person's experiences in the world. I'm quite fond of this genre and The Magic Mountain is an exceptional bildungsroman, but at the same time, it also represents a parody of the genre. Ultimately it's a story about a young, rich guy spending years in isolation on a mountain (reminiscent of the ivory tower), while the world goes to shit. So on the one hand it's story about alienation from the world; on the other hand it presents a story of a person starting to educate himself and become a better person in the process. He meets various different persons, most notably Settembrini and Naptha, two mentor figures who are completely different and whose discussions are among the greatest moments in the novel. Mann has a wonderful writing style especially in his descriptions. His characters are clearly defined in a very short time without becoming caricatures. It's lengthy and bulky, but few books have ever invoked an emotional reaction quite like this one.
One of those is my Number 1, Wezel's Belphegor. That one is pretty crazy: Wezel creates three characters and puts them through the wringer of the world. Belphegor is an idealist, convinced that the world is a good place and when he realises it isn't he tries to change it for the better. Medardus is convinced that everything is predestined by God, so he looks for the positive in all the bad things. Fromal is a rationalist who accepts the world for what it is and tries to use it for his advantage. These three characters are set on a journey throughout the world, occasionally splitting up and eventually meeting back up again. The novel is a harsh critique of Enlightenment and the form of idealism it created by showing a world that isn't good and can't be changed for the better. Everything is completely over the top. The first book starts with Belphegor being repeatedly beaten up (it's pretty violent, he loses an eye), his former lover is later revealed to have also been the lover of the Pope with whom she made plans to conquer the world. It's a biting satire, clearly inspired by Candide and Gulliver's Travels. Sadly, Wezel is almost completely forgotten.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:55 am
prosecutorgodot wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:38 am
That's a hard question to answer.
I wrote something about the two highest entries on my list; I'm not completely satisfied, but here you have it:
The Magic Mountain is a novel of massive scale, even though there really isn't a lot of story. Hans Castorp visits his friend in a sanatorium on top of a mountain and stays for seven years. In German literature there's the tradition of the bildungsroman, a novel about a young person's experiences in the world. I'm quite fond of this genre and The Magic Mountain is an exceptional bildungsroman, but at the same time, it also represents a parody of the genre. Ultimately it's a story about a young, rich guy spending years in isolation on a mountain (reminiscent of the ivory tower), while the world goes to shit. So on the one hand it's story about alienation from the world; on the other hand it presents a story of a person starting to educate himself and become a better person in the process. He meets various different persons, most notably Settembrini and Naptha, two mentor figures who are completely different and whose discussions are among the greatest moments in the novel. Mann has a wonderful writing style especially in his descriptions. His characters are clearly defined in a very short time without becoming caricatures. It's lengthy and bulky, but few books have ever invoked an emotional reaction quite like this one.
One of those is my Number 1, Wezel's Belphegor. That one is pretty crazy: Wezel creates three characters and puts them through the wringer of the world. Belphegor is an idealist, convinced that the world is a good place and when he realises it isn't he tries to change it for the better. Medardus is convinced that everything is predestined by God, so he looks for the positive in all the bad things. Fromal is a rationalist who accepts the world for what it is and tries to use it for his advantage. These three characters are set on a journey throughout the world, occasionally splitting up and eventually meeting back up again. The novel is a harsh critique of Enlightenment and the form of idealism it created by showing a world that isn't good and can't be changed for the better. Everything is completely over the top. The first book starts with Belphegor being repeatedly beaten up (it's pretty violent, he loses an eye), his former lover is later revealed to have also been the lover of the Pope with whom she made plans to conquer the world. It's a biting satire, clearly inspired by Candide and Gulliver's Travels. Sadly, Wezel is almost completely forgotten.
Thanks! It is a good bildungsroman. There's even a brief music segment in the tail end of the book.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm currently looking at doing a top 200 with this list. We are currently at 220 works with at least two votes, and I'll start with an honorable mention section for our personal favorites which did not make the final 200.

We're at 24 lists, which is three more than the last time around! Hopefully we'll get a few more lists, too.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

100. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Graphic novel, 2003)
99. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (1956)
98. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (1966)
97. Circe by Madeline Miller (2018)
96. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (1898)
95. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (1968)
94. The Stranger by Albert Camus (1942)
93. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (1915)
92. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1935)
91. The Makioka Sisters by Jun'ichiro Tanizaki (1943-1948)
90. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (1929)
89. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane (1895)
88. The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass (1959)
87. Beloved by Toni Morrison (1987)
86. The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (1984)
85. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (1995)
84. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (2001)
83. Perfume by Patrick Suskind (1985)
82. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)
81. Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware (Graphic novel, 2000)
80. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (1980)
79. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (1987)
78. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2004)
77. Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (Graphic novel, 1991)
76. Blindness by Jose Saramago (1995)
75. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (2007)
74. Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki (1914)
73. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (2000)
72. The Alchemist by Pablo Coelho (1998)
71. White Teeth by Zadie Smith (2000)
70. The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker (1991-1995)
69. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (1985)
68. Atonement by Ian Mcewan (2001)
67. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway (1940)
66. The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer (1948)
65. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (2000)
64. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)
63. Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (Graphic novel, 1986)
62. The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1891)
61. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (1844)
60. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1879-1880)
59. Wuthering Heights by Brontë (1847)
58. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (1952)
57. Harry Potter: The Complete Series by J. K. Rowling (1997-2007)
56. Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier (1938)
55. Bleak House by Charles Dickens (1853)
54. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (1955)
53. Moby-Dick by Herman Melville (1851)
52. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)
51. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsy (1866)
50. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)
49. Lord of the Flies by William Golding (1954)
48. White Noise by Don DeLillo (1985)
47. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (1922)
46. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (1979)
45. The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (1939)
44. If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino (1979)
43. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)
42. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)
41. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (1877)
40. The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (1987)
39. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (1962)
38. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré (1963)
37. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)
36. Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)
35. The Children of Men by P. D. James (1992)
34. Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain (2012)
33. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (2001)
32. His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman (1995-2000)
31. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (1980)
30. The Stand by Stephen King (1978)
29. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (2002)
28. A Personal Matter Kenzaburo Oë (1964)
27. Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs (1959)
26. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (1962)
25. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1885)
24. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
23. All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren (1946)
22. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)
21. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (1996)
20. The Rabbit Quartet by John Updike (1960-1990)
19. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (1969)
18. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson (1971)
17. The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy (1984)
16. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (1929)
15. Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (1953)
14. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1932)
13. Call of the Wild by Jack London (1903)
12. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (1961)
11. On the Road by Jack Kerouac (1957)
10. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (1902)
9. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (2005)
8. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien (1954-1955)
7. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)
6. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (1994)
5. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)
4. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (1949)
3. The Road by Cormac McCarthy (2006)
2. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (1926)
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Dexter wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:42 am 100. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Graphic novel, 2003)
99. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (1956)
98. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (1966)
97. Circe by Madeline Miller (2018)
96. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (1898)
95. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (1968)
94. The Stranger by Albert Camus (1942)
93. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (1915)
92. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1935)
91. The Makioka Sisters by Jun'ichiro Tanizaki (1943-1948)
90. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (1929)
89. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane (1895)
88. The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass (1959)
87. Beloved by Toni Morrison (1987)
86. The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (1984)
85. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (1995)
84. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (2001)
83. Perfume by Patrick Suskind (1985)
82. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)
81. Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware (Graphic novel, 2000)
80. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (1980)
79. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (1987)
78. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2004)
77. Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (Graphic novel, 1991)
76. Blindness by Jose Saramago (1995)
75. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (2007)
74. Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki (1914)
73. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (2000)
72. The Alchemist by Pablo Coelho (1998)
71. White Teeth by Zadie Smith (2000)
70. The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker (1991-1995)
69. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (1985)
68. Atonement by Ian Mcewan (2001)
67. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway (1940)
66. The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer (1948)
65. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (2000)
64. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)
63. Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (Graphic novel, 1986)
62. The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1891)
61. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (1844)
60. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1879-1880)
59. Wuthering Heights by Brontë (1847)
58. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (1952)
57. Harry Potter: The Complete Series by J. K. Rowling (1997-2007)
56. Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier (1938)
55. Bleak House by Charles Dickens (1853)
54. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (1955)
53. Moby-Dick by Herman Melville (1851)
52. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)
51. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsy (1866)
50. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)
49. Lord of the Flies by William Golding (1954)
48. White Noise by Don DeLillo (1985)
47. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (1922)
46. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (1979)
45. The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (1939)
44. If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino (1979)
43. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)
42. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)
41. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (1877)
40. The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (1987)
39. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (1962)
38. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré (1963)
37. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)
36. Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)
35. The Children of Men by P. D. James (1992)
34. Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain (2012)
33. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (2001)
32. His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman (1995-2000)
31. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (1980)
30. The Stand by Stephen King (1978)
29. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (2002)
28. A Personal Matter Kenzaburo Oë (1964)
27. Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs (1959)
26. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (1962)
25. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1885)
24. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
23. All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren (1946)
22. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)
21. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (1996)
20. The Rabbit Quartet by John Updike (1960-1990)
19. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (1969)
18. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson (1971)
17. The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy (1984)
16. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (1929)
15. Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (1953)
14. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1932)
13. Call of the Wild by Jack London (1903)
12. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (1961)
11. On the Road by Jack Kerouac (1957)
10. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (1902)
9. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (2005)
8. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien (1954-1955)
7. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)
6. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (1994)
5. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)
4. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (1949)
3. The Road by Cormac McCarthy (2006)
2. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (1926)
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

While graphic novels are listed as eligible, I think that is also implicitly limited to fictional graphic novels - either way, nobody else has voted for Persepolis or Maus, so you should probably replace them
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I'll replace them with classics:

100. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (1927)
99. Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

...fell out of love with "Infinite Jest" (No. 61 on my last list).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Here is ordinaryperson's list from 2017:
01 | Hunter S. Thompson | Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
02 | Kurt Vonnegut | Slaughterhouse Five
03 | Fyodor Dostoyevsky | Crime and Punishment
04 | Stephen King | The Shining
05 | Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons | Watchmen
06 | William Gibson | Neuromancer
07 | William Shakespeare | King Lear
08 | Phillip K. Dick | Ubik
09 | William Shakespeare | Hamlet
10 | Kazuo Ishiguro | Never Let Me Go
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

...finished Atonement today and edited my list yet again - also decided to use my top 75 since that's about where I cut off my 9/10 rated books in my file and that seems a better cutoff than the arbitrary 50. I can be very indecisive.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

1. Sasameyuki - Jun'ichirō Tanizaki
2. Der Steppenwolf [Steppenwolf] - Herman Hesse
3. Ма́стер и Маргари́та [The Master and Margarita] - Mihail Bulgakov
4. Narziß und Goldmund [Narcissus and Goldmund] - Herman Hesse
5. Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death (1969) - Kurt Vonnegut
6. Ennen päivänlaskua [Not Before Sundown / Troll - a love story] - Johanna Sinisalo
7. Human Acts - Han Kang
8. Der Process [The Trial] - Franz Kafka
9. Nineteen-Eighty-Four - George Orwell
10. The Secret History - Donna Tartt
11. Nesnesitelná lehkost bytí [The Unbearable Lightness of Being] - Milan Kundera
12. He eivät tiedä mitä tekevät - Jussi Valtonen
13. The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster
14. O : romaani (tai yleispätevä tutkielma siitä miksi asiat ovat niin kuin ovat) - Miki Liukkonen
15. Punainen erokirja - Pirkko Saisio
16. Lunar Park - Bret Easton Ellis
17. Ghost World - Daniel Clowes
18. Bröderna Lejonhjärta [The Brothers Lionheart] - Astrid Lindgren
19. A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara
20. Watership Down (1972) - Richard Adams
21. The Moomins Series - Tove Jansson
22. Enkelten verta [The Blood of Angels] - Johanna Sinisalo
23. Sunset Park - Paul Auster
24. And Then There Were None (1939) - Agatha Christie
25. Anna minun rakastaa enemmän - Juha Itkonen
26. The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck - Don Rosa
27. The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
28. Eurooppalaiset unet - Emma Puikkonen
29. Sinuhe egyptiläinen [The Egyptian] - Mika Waltari
30. The Goldfinch (2013) - Donna Tartt
31. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - Hayao Miyazaki
32. Luonnollinen ravinto - Annika Idström
33. Sankarit - Johanna Sinisalo
34. The Housekeeper and the Professor - Yoko Ogawa
35. Tintin -series - Hergé
36. Pussikaljaromaani - Mikko Rimminen
37. L’Étranger (The Outsider [UK], or The Stranger [US]) - Albert Camus
38. The Road - Cormac McCarthy
39. Akira - Katsuhiro Otomo
40. Crooked House - Agatha Christie
41. The Crossing - Cormac McCarthy
42. Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder
43. Tuntematon sotilas [The Unknown Soldier] - Väinö Linna
44. Seksistä ja matematiikasta - Iida Rauma
45. The Adventure Series - Enid Blyton
46. The Outsiders - SE Hinton
47. The Little Friend (2002) - Donna Tartt
48. 4 3 2 1 - Paul Auster
49. The Malloreon -series - David Eddings
50. Watchmen - Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons
51. The Vegetarian - Han Kang
52. The Belgariad -series - David Eddings
53. Pölkky - Mikko Rimminen
54. Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
55. Solar - Ian McEwan
56. Post-alfa - Paperi T
57. Epileptic - David Beauchard
58. The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia - Ursula K. Le Guin
59. Keep the Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell
60. Žert [The Joke] - Milan Kundera
61. Hateship, friendship, courtship, loveship, marriage - Alice Munro
62. The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13¾ - Sue Townsend
63. Dracula - Bram Stoker
64. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
65. The Vagrants - Yiyun Li
66. Anomalia - Laura Gustafsson
67. Glamorama - Bret Easton Ellis
68. Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
69. Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
70. Purge [Puhdistus] - Sofi Oksanen
71. Taivaanpallo & Merenpeitto - Olli Jalonen
72. Mother Night (1961) - Kurt Vonnegut
73. Das Schloss [The Castle] - Franz Kafka
74. We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver
75. Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt
76. La Peste [The Plague] - Albert Camus
77. South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami
78. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Márquez
79. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
80. It - Stephen King
81. Että hän muistaisi saman - Elina Hirvonen
82. Maria-perkele - Päivi Virtanen
83. Hiljaisuuden mestari - Miki Liukkonen
84. 2666 - Roberto Bolano
85. The Word for World Is Forest - Ursula K. Le Guin
86. Maailman luonnollisin asia - Mikko Rimminen
87. Beat the Reaper - Josh Bazell
88. Earthsea -series - Ursula K. Le Guin
89. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
90. High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Now for the fun stage of trying to find a suitable quote for every book and being paranoid it might be mis-attributed and I'll embarrass myself!
Greg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Greg »

Top 100/250 Novels

1 | Moby-Dick; or, The Whale | Herman Melville | U.S. | 1851 | 594 pgs.
2 | Бра́тья Карама́зовы (The Brothers Karamazov) | Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский (Fyodor Dostoevsky) | Russia | 1880 | Trans. Richard Pevear & Larissa Volokhonsky | 796 pgs.
3 | Under the Volcano | Malcolm Lowry | England | 1947 | 397 pgs.
4 | Петербург (Petersburg) | Андре́й Бе́лый (Andrei Bely) | Russia | 1913 | Trans. David McDuff | 597 pgs.
5 | Мёртвые души (Dead Souls) | Николай Васильевич Гоголь (Nikolai Gogol) | Russia | 1842 | Trans. George Reavey | 583 pgs.
6 | Der Tod des Virgil (The Death of Virgil) | Hermann Broch | Austria | 1945 | Trans. Jean Starr Untermeyer | 493 pgs.
7 | Sartor Resartus | Thomas Carlyle | England | 1834 | 273 pgs.
8 | Voyage au bout de la nuit & Mort à crédit (Voyage to the End of the Night & Death on the Installment Plan) | Louis-Ferdinand Céline | France | 1932-1936 | Trans. Ralph Manheim | 1038 pgs.
9 | Madame Bovary. Mœurs de province | Gustave Flaubert | France | 1856 | Trans. Lowell Bair | 424 pgs.
10 | Война и миръ (War and Peace) | Лев Николаевич Толстой (Leo Tolstoy) | Russia | 1867 | Trans. Constance Garnett | 1388 pgs.
11 | Der Zauberberg (The Magic Mountain) | Thomas Mann | Germany | 1924 | Trans. John E. Woods | 706 pgs.
12 | Die Schlafwandler (The Sleepwalkers) | Hermann Broch | Austria | 1932 | Edwin & Willa Muir | 648 pgs.
13 | Обломов (Oblomov) | Ива́н Алекса́ндрович Гончаро́в (Mikhail Goncharov) | Russia | 1859 | Trans. David Magarshack | 484 pgs.
14 | The Good Soldier: A Tale of Passion | Ford Madox Ford | England | 1915 | 307 pgs.
15 | Tess of the d'Urbervilles | Thomas Hardy | England | 1891 | 414 pgs.
16 | Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften (The Man Without Qualities) | Robert Musil | Austria | 1943 | Trans. Sophie Wilkins | 1130 pgs.
17 | Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness in the West | Cormac McCarthy | U.S. | 1985 | 337 pgs.
18 | Die Leiden des jungen Werthers (The Sorrows of Young Werther) | Johann Wolfgang von Goethe | Germany | 1774 | Trans. Catherine Hutter | 255 pgs.
19 | Terra Nostra | Carlos Fuentes | Mexico | 1975 | Trans. Margaret Sayers Peden | 778 pgs.
20 | Europe Central | William T. Vollmann | U.S. | 2005 | 811 pgs.
21 | Die Ringe des Saturn (The Rings of Saturn) | W.G. Sebald | Germany | 1995 | Trans. Michale Hulse | 296 pgs.
22 | Der grüne Heinrich (Green Henry) | Gottfried Keller | Switzerland | 1855 | Trans. A.M. Holt | 706 pgs.
23 | Kotik Letaev | Андре́й Бе́лый (Andrei Bely) | Russia | 1918 | Trans. Gerald Janecek | 268 pgs.
24 | La regenta | Leopoldo Alas | Spain | 1885 | Trans. John Rutherford | 734 pgs.
25 | Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války (The Good Soldier Švejk) | Jaroslav Hašek | Czechia | 1923 | Trans. Cecil Parrott | 752 pgs.
26 | La vie de Gargantua et de Pantagruel (Gargantua and Pantagruel) | François Rabelais | France | 1564 | Trans. J.M. Cohen | 712 pgs.
27 | Fortunata y Jacinta (Fortunata and Jacinta) | Benito Pérez Galdós | Spain | 1887 | Trans. Agnes Moncy Gullón | 818 pgs.
28 | 豊饒の海 (The Sea of Fertility) (春の雪 (Spring Snow) / 奔馬 (Runaway Horses) / 暁の寺 (The Temple of Dawn) / (天人五衰 (The Decay of the Angel)) | 三島 由紀夫 (Yukio Mishima) | Japan | 1969-1971 | Trans. Michael Gallagher, E. Dale Saunders, Cecilia Segawa Seigle, & Edward Seidensticker | 1376 pgs.
29 | Doktor Faustus: Das Leben des deutschen Tonsetzers Adrian Leverkühn, erzählt von einem Freunde (Doctor Faustus) | Thomas Mann | Germany | 1947 | Trans. H.T. Lowe-Porter | 510 pgs.
30 | Les 120 Journées de Sodome ou l'école du libertinage (The 120 Days of Sodom, or The School of Libertinage) | Marquis de Sade | France | 1785 | Trans. Austryn Wainhouse & Richard Seaver | 497 pgs.
31 | Wuthering Heights | Emily Brontë | England | 1847 | 287 pgs.
32 | Les Misérables | Victor Hugo | France | 1862 | Trans. Norman Denny | 1231 pgs.
33 | Преступление и наказание (Crime and Punishment) | Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский (Fyodor Dostoevsky) | Russia | 1866 | Trans. David Magarshack | 558 pgs.
34 | Austerlitz | W.G. Sebald | Germany | 2001 | Trans. Anthea Bell | 298 pgs.
35 | Adventures of Huckleberry Finn | Mark Twain | U.S. | 1884 | 292 pgs.
36 | Анна Каренина (Anna Karenina) | Лев Николаевич Толстой (Leo Tolstoy) | Russia | 1877 | Trans. Louise & Aylmer Maude | 860 pgs.
37 | Cane | Jean Toomer | U.S. | 1923 | 116 pgs.
38 | Vanity Fair | William Makepeace Thackeray | England | 1848 | 866 pgs.
39 | The Petty Demon | Фёдор Сологу́б (Fyodor Sologub) | Russia | 1907 | Trans. S.D. Cioran | 355 pgs.
40 | Dracula | Bram Stoker | Ireland | 1897 | 520 pgs.
41 | Dhalgren | Samuel R. Delany | U.S. | 1975 | 801 pgs.
42 | Lalka (The Doll) | Bolesław Prus | Poland | 1889 | Trans. David Welsh | 683 pgs.
43 | The Big Sleep | Raymond Chandler | U.S. | 1939 | 231 pgs.
44 | A Farewell to Arms | Ernest Hemingway | U.S. | 1929 | 332 pgs.
45 | The Power and the Glory | Graham Greene | England | 1940 | 221 pgs.
46 | House Made of Dawn | N. Scott Momaday | Kiowa | 1968 | 212 pgs.
47 | Jakob von Gunten | Robert Walser | Switzerland | 1909 | Trans. Christopher Middleton | 176 pgs.
48 | Мастер и Маргарита (The Master and Margarita) | Михаил Афанасьевич Булгаков (Mikhail Bulgakov) | U.S.S.R. | 1967 | Trans. Diana Burgin & Katherine Tiernan O'Connor | 372 pgs.
49 | Boussole (Compass) | Mathias Énard | France | 2015 | Trans. Charlotte Mandell | 445 pgs.
50. Le città invisibili (Invisible Cities) | Italo Calvino | Italy | 1972 | Trans. William Weaver | 165 pgs.
51 | Cien años de soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude) | Gabriel García Márquez | Colombia | 1967 | Trans. Gregory Rabassa | 383 pgs.
52 | Crash | J.G. Ballard | England | 1973 | 223 pgs.
53 | Dom Casmurro | Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis | Brazil | 1899 | Trans. Robert Scott-Buccleuch | 216 pgs.
54 | To the Lighthouse | Virginia Woolf | England | 1927 | 209 pgs.
55 | Middlemarch, a Study of Provincial Life | George Eliot | England | 1872 | 908 pgs.
56 | The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner | James Hogg | Scotland | 1824 | 272 pgs.
57 | El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha (Don Quixote) | Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra | Spain | 1615 | Trans. John Rutherford | 1023 pgs.
58 | The Alexandria Quartet (Justine / Balthazar / Mountolive / Clea) | Lawrence Durrell | England | 1957-1960 | 1083 pgs.
59 | Le Rouge et le Noir (The Red and the Black) | Stendhal | France | 1830 | Trans. Margaret R.B. Shaw | 509 pgs.
60 | Rayuela (Hopscotch) | Julio Cortázar | Argentina | 1963 | Trans. Gregory Rabassa | 564 pgs.
61 | Il Gattopardo (The Leopard) | Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa | Italy | 1958 | Trans. Archibald Colquhoun | 319 pgs.
62 | Nostromo | Joseph Conrad | England | 1904 | 474 pgs.
63 | Sons and Lovers | D.H. Lawrence | England | 1913 | 497 pgs.
64 | The Golden Bowl | Henry James | U.S. | 1904 | 591 pgs.
65 | Underworld | Don DeLillo | U.S. | 1997 | 827 pgs.
66 | Women | Charles Bukowski | U.S. | 1978 | 290 pgs.
67 | À la recherche du temps perdu (In Search of Lost Time) (Du côté de chez Swann (Swann's Way) / À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs (Within a Budding Grove) / Le Côté de Guermantes (The Guermantes Way) / Sodome et Gomorrhe (Sodom and Gomorrah) / La Prisonnière (The Captive) / Albertine disparue (The Fugitive) / Le Temps retrouvé (Time Regained)) | Marcel Proust | France | 1913-1927 | Trans. C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, & Andreas Mayor | 4288 pgs.
68 | The Grapes of Wrath | John Steinbeck | U.S. | 1939 | 619 pgs.
69 | Der Process (The Trial) | Franz Kafka | Bohemia | 1925 | Trans. Willa & Edwin Muir | 281 pgs.
70 | Min kamp (My Struggle) | Karl Ove Knausgård | Norway | 2009-2011 | Trans. Don Bartlett & Martin Aitken | 3864 pgs.
71 | Hyperion; oder, Der Eremit in Griechenland (Hyperion; or, The Hermit in Greece) | Friedrich Hölderlin | Germany | 1799 | Trans. William R. Trask | 173 pgs.
72 | Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus | Mary Shelley | England | 1818 | 239 pgs.
73 | 2666 | Roberto Bolaño | Chile | 2004 | Trans. Natasha Wimmer | 898 pgs.
74 | В кру́ге пе́рвом (The First Circle) | Александр Исаевич Солженицын (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn) | U.S.S.R. | 1968 | Trans. Thomas P. Whitney | 580 pgs.
75 | Bleak House | Charles Dickens | England | 1853 | 665 pgs.
76 | The Rainbow & Women in Love | D.H. Lawrence | England | 1915-1920 | 1072 pgs.
77 | Идіотъ (The Idiot) | Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский (Fyodor Dostoevsky) | Russia | 1869 | Trans. David Magarshack | 591 pgs.
78 | L'Assommoir (The Drinking Den) | Émile Zola | France | 1877 | Trans. Robin Buss | 440 pgs.
79 | The Secret Agent | Joseph Conrad | England | 1907 | 245 pgs.
80 | U.S.A. Trilogy (The 42nd Parallel / 1919 / The Big Money) | John Dos Passos | U.S. | 1930-1936 | 1437 pgs.
81 | Look Homeward, Angel: A Story of the Buried Life | Thomas Wolfe | U.S. | 1929 | 522 pgs.
82 | The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter | Carson McCullers | U.S. | 1940 | 307 pgs.
83 | Light in August | William Faulkner | U.S. | 1932 | 507 pgs.
84 | Sátántangó & Az ellenállás melankóliája (Satantango & The Melancholy of Resistance) | László Krasznahorkai | Hungary | 1985-1989 | Trans. George Szirtes | 588 pgs.
85 | A Handful Of Dust | Evelyn Waugh | England | 1934 | 308 pgs.
86 | Tropic of Cancer | Henry Miller | U.S. | 1934 | 318 pgs.
87 | Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer / Count Zero / Mona Lisa Overdrive) | William Gibson | Canada | 1984-1988 | 893 pgs.
88 | Buddenbrooks | Thomas Mann | Germany | 1901 | Trans. John E. Woods | 731 pgs.
89 | Бѣсы (Demons) | Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский (Fyodor Dostoevsky) | Russia | 1872 | Trans. Constance Garnett | 735 pgs.
90 | Die Schuldlosen (The Guiltless) | Hermann Broch | Austria | 1950 | Trans. Ralph Manheim | 292 pgs.
91 | Decamerone (The Decameron) | Giovanni Boccaccio | Italy | 1353 | Trans. G.H. McWilliam | 833 pgs.
92 | Illusions perdues (Lost Illusions) | Honoré de Balzac | France | 1843 | Trans. Herbert J. Hunt | 681 pgs.
93 | こゝろ (Kokoro) | 夏目 漱石 (Natsume Sōseki) | Japan | 1914 | Trans. Edwin McClellan | 248 pgs.
94 | Nesnesitelná lehkost bytí (The Unbearable Lightness of Being) | Milan Kundera | Czechia | 1984 | Trans. Michael Henry Heim | 314 pgs.
95 | The Sheltering Sky | Paul Bowles | U.S. | 1949 | 335 pgs.
96 | L'Éducation sentimentale (Sentimental Education) | Gustave Flaubert | France | 1869 | Trans. Douglas Parmée | 489 pgs.
97 | Le Chartreuse de Parme (The Charterhouse of Parma) | Stendhal | France | 1839 | Trans. Margaret R.B. Shaw | 488 pgs.
98 | Os Maias: Episódios da Vida Romântica (The Maias: Episodes of Romantic Life) | José Maria de Eça de Queirós | Portugal | 1888 | Trans. Patrick McGowan Pinheiro & Ann Stevens | 633 pgs.
99 | The Neapolitan Novels (L'amica geniale (My Brilliant Friend) / Storia del nuovo cognome (The Story of a New Name) / Storia di chi fugge e di chi resta (Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay) / Storia della bambina perduta (The Story of the Lost Child)) | Elena Ferrante | Italy | 2011-2014 | Trans. Ann Goldstein | 1693 pgs.
100 | Company K | William March | U.S. | 1933 | 260 pgs.

101 | Die Verwirrungen des Zöglings Törleß (Young Törless) | Robert Musil | Austria | 1906 | Trans. Eithne Wilkins & Ernst Kaier | 217 pgs
102 | Отцы и дети (Fathers and Sons) | Иван Сергеевич Тургенев (Ivan Turgenev) | Russia | 1862 | Trans. Rosemary Edmonds | 294 pgs.
103 | Generation X | Douglas Coupland | Canada | 1991 | 183 pgs.
104 | Death Comes for the Archbishop | Willa Cather | U.S. | 1927 | 297 pgs.
105 | Die Verzauberung (The Spell) | Hermann Broch | Austria | 1976 | Trans. H.F. Broch de Rothermann | 391 pgs.
106 | Die Aufzeichnungen des Malte Laurids Brigge (The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge) | Rainer Maria Rilke | Bohemia/Austria | 1910 | Trans. Michael Hulse | 180 pgs.
107 | Der Golem (The Golem) | Gustav Meyrink | Austria | 1914 | Trans. Mike Mitchell | 262 pgs.
108 | The Ginger Man | J.P. Donleavy | U.S. | 1955 | 347 pgs.
109 | For Whom the Bell Tolls | Ernest Hemingway | U.S. | 1940 | 471
110 | Los pasos perdidos (The Lost Steps) | Alejo Carpentier | Cuba | 1953 | Trans. Harriet De Onís | 278 pgs.
111 | A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man | James Joyce | Ireland | 1916 | 247 pgs.
112 | Lolita | Vladimir Nabokov | Russia/U.S. | 1955 | 317 pgs.
113 | 山の音 (The Sound of the Mountain) | (川端 康成 (Yasunari Kawabata) | Japan | 1954 | Trans. Edward Seidensticker | 276 pgs.
114 | Vurt | Jeff Noon | England | 1993 | 342 pgs.
115 | Lord Jim | Joseph Conrad | England | 1900 | 375 pgs.
116 | Manuscrit trouvé à Saragosse (The Manuscript Found in Saragossa) | Jan Potocki | Poland | 1814 | Trans. Ian MacLean | 630 pgs.
117 | As I Lay Dying | William Faulkner | U.S. | 1930 | 261 pgs.
118 | Plateforme (Platform) | Michel Houellebecq | France | 2001 | Trans. Frank Wynne | 259 pgs.
119 | Der Weg ins Freie (Road to the Open) | Arthur Schnitzler | Austria | 1908 | Trans. Horace Samuel | 412 pgs.
120 | The Heart of the Matter | Graham Greene | England | 1948 | 271 pgs.
121 | The Sound and the Fury | William Faulkner | U.S. | 1929 | 326 pgs.
122 | Melmoth the Wanderer | Charles Robert Maturin | Ireland | 1820 | 659 pgs.
123 | Lebens-Ansichten des Katers Murr nebst fragmentarischer Biographie des Kapellmeisters Johannes Kreisler in zufälligen Makulaturblättern (The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr) | E.T.A. Hoffmann | Germany | 1821 | Trans. Anthea Bell | 349 pgs.
124 | Dandelion Wine | Ray Bradbury | U.S. | 1957 | 239 pgs.
125 | Heart of Darkness | Joseph Conrad | England | 1899 | 120 pgs.
126 | London Fields | Martin Amis | England | 1989 | 470 pgs.
127 | Invisible Man | Ralph Ellison | U.S. | 1952 | 581 pgs.
128 | Kosmos (Cosmos) | Witold Gombrowicz | Poland | 1965 | Trans. Eric Mosbacher | 166 pgs.
129 | Shadow Country: A New Rendering of the Watson Legend | Peter Mathiessen | U.S. | 2008 | 892 pgs.
130 | Far From the Madding Crowd | Thomas Hardy | England | 1874 | 384 pgs.
131 | Die Wahlverwandtschaften (Elective Affinities) | Johann Wolfgang von Goethe | Germany | 1809 | Trans. R.J. Hollingdale | 299 pgs.
132 | Wilhelm Meisters Lehrjahre & Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre, oder Die Entsagenden (Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship & Wilhelm Meister's Journeyman Years, or The Renunciants) | Johann Wolfgang von Goethe | Germany | 1796-1821 | Trans. H.M. Waidson | 853 pgs.
133 | Der Nachsommer (Indian Summer) | Adalbert Stifter | Austria | 1857 | Trans. Wendell Frye | 478 pgs.
134 | Der Mensch erscheint im Holozän (Man in the Holocene) | Max Frisch | Switzerland | 1979 | Trans. Geoffrey Skelton | 113 pgs.
135 | The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman | Laurence Sterne | Ireland | 1760 | 596 pgs.
136 | The Sun Also Rises | Ernest Hemingway | U.S. | 1926 | 251 pgs.
137 | Gulliver's Travels, or Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World. In Four Parts. By Lemuel Gulliver, First a Surgeon, and then a Captain of Several Ships | Jonathan Swift | Ireland | 1726 | 360 pgs.
138 | The Catcher in the Rye | J.D. Salinger | U.S. | 1951 | 214 pgs.
139 | Ask the Dust | John Fante | U.S. | 1939 | 165 pgs.
140 | Les Faux-monnayeurs (The Counterfeiters) | André Gide | France | 1925 | Trans. Dorothy Bussy | 467 pgs.
141 | A Moment in the Sun | John Sayles | U.S. | 2011 | 955 pgs.
142 | Мы (We) | Евге́ний Ива́нович Замя́тин (Yevgeny Zamyatin) | Russia | 1924 | Trans. Clarence Brown | 225 pgs.
143 | Nazarín | Benito Pérez Galdós | Spain | 1895 | Trans. Jo Labanyi | 204 pgs.
144 | White Noise | Don DeLillo | U.S. | 1985 | 326 pgs.
145 | Bekenntnisse des Hochstaplers Felix Krull. Der Memoiren, erster Teil (Confessions of Felix Krull, Confidence Man (The Early Years)) | Thomas Mann | Germany | 1954 | Trans. Denver Lindley | 384 pgs.
146 | La Peste (The Plague) | Albert Camus | France | 1947 | Trans. Stuart Gilbert | 308 pgs.
147 | At the Mountains of Madness | H.P. Lovecraft | U.S. | 1936 | 102 pgs.
148 | The Painted Bird | Jerzy Kosiński | U.S. | 1965 | 234 pgs.
149 | Naissance d'un pont (Birth of a Bridge) | Maylis de Kerangal | France | 2010 | Trans. Jessica Moore | 249 pgs.
150 | En la orilla (On the Edge) | Rafael Chirbes | Spain | 2013 | Trans. Margaret Jull Costa | 410 pgs.
151 | The Postman Always Rings Twice | James M. Cain | U.S. | 1934 | 116 pgs.
152 | Kar (Snow) | Orham Pamuk | Turkey | 2002 | Trans. Maureen Freely | 463 pgs.
153 | Ulysses | James Joyce | Ireland | 1922 | 783 pgs.
154 | Le Père Goriot (Old Goriot) | Honoré de Balzac | France | 1835 | Trans. Marion Ayton Crawford | 303 pgs.
155 | Vathek, an Arabian Tale | William Beckford | England | 1786 | 170 pgs.
156 | The Stand | Stephen King | U.S. | 1978 | 817 pgs.
157 | Двенадцать стульев (The Twelve Chairs) | Илья Арнольдович Файнзильберг & Евгений Петрович Катаев (Ilya Ilf & Yevgeni Petrov) | U.S.S.R. | 1928 | Trans. John H.C. Richardson | 395 pgs.
158 | The Sea | John Banville | Ireland | 2005 | 195 pgs.
159 | The Plumed Serpent | D.H. Lawrence | England | 1926 | 445 pgs.
160 | Дар (The Gift) | Владимир Владимирович Набоков (Vladimir Nabokov) | U.S.S.R. | 1952 | Trans. Michael Scammell & Vladimir Nabokov | 366 pgs.
161 | The Red Badge of Courage | Stephen Crane | U.S. | 1895
162 | The VALIS Trilogy (VALIS / The Divine Invasion / The Transmigration of Timothy Archer) | Philip K. Dick | U.S. | 1981-1982 | 734 pgs.
163 | Господа Головлёвы (The Golovlyov Family) | Михаи́л Евгра́фович Салтыко́в-Щедри́н (Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin) | Russia | 1880 | Trans. S.D. Cioran | 284 pgs.
164 | Days Between Stations | Steve Erickson | U.S. | 1985 | 253 pgs.
165 | The Rabbit Angstrom Novels (Rabbit, Run / Rabbit Redux / Rabbit is Rich / Rabbit at Rest) | John Updike | U.S. | 1960-1990 | 1506 pgs.
166 | Das Schloss (The Castle) | Franz Kafka | Bohemia | 1926 | Trans. Mark Harman | 315 pgs.
167 | The Old Man and the Sea | Ernest Hemingway | U.S. | 1952 | 127 pgs.
168 | Portnoy's Complaint | Philip Roth | U.S. | 1969 | 289 pgs.
169 | Snow Crash | Neal Stephenson | U.S. | 1992 | 440 pgs.
170 | St. Mawr | D.H. Lawrence | England | 1925 | 159 pgs.
171 | A Fan's Notes | Frederick Exley | U.S. | 1968 | 385 pgs.
172 | Last Exit to Brooklyn | Hubert Selby, Jr. | U.S. | 1964 | 304 pgs.
173 | The Long Goodbye | Raymond Chandler | U.S. | 1953 | 379 pgs.
174 | Little Dorrit | Charles Dickens | England | 1857 | 721 pgs.
175 | Barchester Towers | Anthony Trollope | England | 1857 | 533 pgs.
176 | The Way of All Flesh | Samuel Butler | England | 1903 | 443 pgs.
177 | Pale Fire | Vladimir Nabokov | Russia/U.S. | 1962 | 315 pgs.
178 | The History of Luminous Motion | Scott Bradfield | U.S. | 1989 | 274 pgs.
179 | The Ibis Trilogy (Sea of Poppies / River of Smoke / Flood of Fire) | Amitav Ghosh | India | 2008-2015 | 1680 pgs.
180 | Effi Briest | Theodor Fontane | Germany | 1895 | Trans. Douglas Parmée | 266 pgs.
181 | McTeague | Frank Norris | U.S. | 1899 | 348 pgs.
182 | The Day of the Locust | Nathanael West | U.S. | 1939 | 128 pgs.
183 | Le Procès-Verbal (The Interrogation) | J.M.G. Le Clézio | France | 1963 | Trans. Daphne Woodward | 243 pgs.
184 | Les Gommes (The Erasers) | Alain Robbe-Grillet | France | 1953 | Trans. Richard Howard | 256 pgs.
185 | The Purple Cloud | M.P. Shiel | England | 1901 | 295 pgs.
186 | The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket | Edgar Allan Poe | U.S. | 1838 | 245 pgs.
187 | Ennui | Maria Edgeworth | Ireland | 1809 | 221 pgs.
188 | Les Chants de Maldoror (Maldoror) | Comte de Lautréamont | France | 1869 | Trans. Paul Knight | 286 pgs.
189 | Middle C | William H. Gass | U.S. | 2013 | 395 pgs.
190 | Waiting for the Barbarians | J.M. Coetzee | South Africa | 1980 | 156 pgs.
191 | Pedro Páramo | Juan Rulfo | Mexico | 1955 | Trans. Margaret Sayers Peden | 124 pgs.
192 | Satyricon | Gaius Petronius Arbiter | Rome | 1st c. AD | Trans. William Arrowsmith | 192 pgs.
193 | Bastard Out of Carolina | Dorothy Allison | U.S. | 1992 | 309 pgs.
194 | Mrs. Dalloway | Virginia Woolf | England | 1925 | 194 pgs.
195 | Berlin Alexanderplatz | Alfred Döblin | Germany | 1929 | Trans. Eugene Jolas | 635 pgs.
196 | Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas (Epitaph for a Small Winner) | Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis | Brazil | 1881 | Trans. William L. Grossman | 209 pgs.
197 | Great Expectations | Charles Dickens | England | 1861 | 443 pgs.
198 | Der Steppenwolf (Steppenwolf) | Hermann Hesse | Switzerland | 1927 | 218 pgs.
199 | La Nausée (Nausea) | Jean-Paul Sartre | France | 1938 | Trans. Lloyd Alexander | 178 pgs.
200 | A Scanner Darkly | Philip K. Dick | U.S. | 1977 | 278 pgs.
201 | Notre-Dame-des-Fleurs (Our Lady of the Flowers) | Jean Genet | France | 1943 | Trans. Bernard Frechtman | 307 pgs.
202 | Lulet e ftohta të marsit (Spring Flowers, Spring Frost) | Ismail Kadare | Albania | 2000 | Trans. David Bellos & Jusuf Vrioni | 182 pgs.
203 | Ferdydurke | Witold Gombrowicz | Poland | 1937 | Trans. Danuta Borchardt | 281 pgs.
204 | Henderson the Rain King | Saul Bellow | U.S. | 1959 | 341 pgs.
205 | The Monk: A Romance | Matthew Lewis | England | 1796 | 445 pgs.
206 | Catch-22 | Joseph Heller | U.S. | 1961 | 463 pgs.
207 | La última niebla (House of Mist) | María Luisa Bombal | Chile | 1935 | 245 pgs.
208 | El ruido de las cosas al caer (The Sound of Things Falling) | Juan Gabriel Vásquez | Colombia | 2011 | Trans. Anne McLean | 302 pgs
209 | Jude the Obscure | Thomas Hardy | England | 1895 | 510 pgs.
210 | Already Dead: A California Gothic | Denis Johnson | U.S. | 1997 | 435 pgs.
211 | Válka s mloky (War with the Newts) | Karel Čapek | Czechia | 1936 | Trans. M. & R. Weatherall | 348 pgs.
212 | Mysterier (Mysteries) | Knut Hamsun | Norway | 1892 | Trans. Sverre Lyngstad | 313 pgs.
213 | Règne animal (Animalia) | Jean-Baptiste Del Amo | France | 2016 | Trans. Frank Wynne | 371 pgs.
214 | 地球往事 (Remembrance of Earth's Past) (三体 (The Three-Body Problem) / 黑暗森林 (The Dark Forest) /死神永生 (Death's End) | 刘慈欣 (Liu Cixin) | China | 2006-2010 | Trans. Ken Liu & Joel Martinsen | 1531 pgs.
215 | Hangover Square | Patrick Hamilton | England | 1941 | 280 pgs.
216 | Роман с кокаином (Novel with Cocaine) | М. Агеев (M. Ageyev) | U.S.S.R. | 1934 | Trans. Michael Henry Heim | 204 pgs.
217 | Stranger in a Strange Land | Robert A. Heinlein | U.S. | 1961 | 438 pgs.
218 | The Man with the Golden Arm | Nelson Algren | U.S. | 1949 | 343 pgs.
219 | The Naked and the Dead | Norman Mailer | U.S. | 1948 | 721 pgs.
220 | Three Men in a Boat & Three Men on the Bummel | Jerome K. Jerome | England | 1889-1900 | 344 pgs.
221 | Le comte de Monte-Cristo (The Count of Monte Cristo) | Alexandre Dumas | France | 1846 | 1130 pgs.
222 | Герой нашего времени (A Hero of Our Time) | Михаил Юрьевич Лермонтов (Mikhail Lermontov) | Russia | 1840 | Trans. Paul Foote | 184 pgs.
223 | Heinrich von Ofterdingen (Henry von Ofterdingen) | Novalis | Germany | 1802 | Trans. Palmer Hilty | 169 pgs.
224 | The Red Riding Quartet (Nineteen Seventy-Four / Nineteen Seventy-Seven / Nineteen Eighty / Nineteen Eighty-Three) | David Peace | England | 1999-2002 | 1417 pgs.
225 | Insensatez | Horacio Castellanos Moya | El Salvador | 2004 | Trans. Katherine Silver | 142 pgs.
226 | ねじまき鳥クロニクル (The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle) | 村上 春樹 (Haruki Murakami) | Japan | 1995 | Trans. Jay Rubin | 607 pgs.
227 | The Plague of Doves | Louise Erdrich | U.S. | 2008 | 313 pgs.
228 | A High Wind in Jamaica | Richard Hughes | England | 1929 | 279 pgs.
229 | A Voyage to Arcturus | David Lindsay | England | 1920 | 272 pgs.
230 | Dreaming in Cuban | Cristina García | U.S. | 1992 | 245 pgs.
231 | Outline | Rachel Cusk | England | 2014 | 249 pgs.
232 | Le Dernier Homme (The Last Man) | Jean-Baptiste Cousin de Grainville | France | 1805 | Trans. I.F. & M. Clarke | 157 pgs.
233 | Drop City | T.C. Boyle | U.S. | 2003 | 497 pgs.
234 | The Rosy Crucifixion (Sexus / Plexus / Nexus) | Henry Miller | U.S. | 1950-1959 | 1462 pgs.
235 | The Picture of Dorian Gray | Oscar Wilde | Ireland | 1890 | 165 pgs.
236 | The Hobbit | J.R.R. Tolkien | England | 1937 | 255 pgs.
237 | The Drop Edge of Yonder | Rudolph Wurlitzer | U.S. | 2008 | 275 pgs.
238 | Lord of the Flies | William Golding | England | 1954 | 208 pgs.
239 | Persuasion | Jane Austen | England | 1817 | 255 pgs.
240 | I promessi sposi (The Betrothed) | Alessandro Manzoni | Italy | 1827 | Trans. Bruce Penman | 719 pgs.
241 | The Cornelius Quartet (The Final Programme / A Cure for Cancer / The English Assassin: A Romance of Entropy / The Condition of Muzak) | Michael Moorcock | England | 1968-1977 | 858 pgs.
242 | Black No More | George Schuyler | U.S. | 1931 | 222 pgs.
243 | Crotchet Castle | Thomas Love Peacock | England | 1831 | 156 pgs.
244 | The Black Dahlia | James Ellroy | U.S. | 1987 | 325 pgs.
245 | Winter in the Blood | James Welch | U.S. | 1974 | 138 pgs.
246 | The Patrick Melrose Novels (Some Hope / Never Mind / Bad News / Mother's Milk / At Last) | Edward St. Aubyn | England | 1992-2012 | 845 pgs.
247 | Petals of Blood | Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o | Kenya | 1977 | 409 pgs.
248 | Slaughterhouse-Five | Kurt Vonnegut | U.S. | 1969 | 215 pgs.
249 | Southern Reach Trilogy (Annihilation / Authority / Acceptance) | Jeff VanderMeer | U.S. | 2014 | 877 pgs.
250 | Comedia de Calisto y Malibea (Celestina) | Fernando de Rojas | Spain | 1499 | Trans. Peter Bush | 219 pgs.

Top 100

Decades/Centuries

14th c. - 1
16th c. - 1
17th c. - 1
18th c. - 3
1810s - 1
1820s - 1
1830s. - 3
1840s - 4
1850s - 5
1860s - 5
1870s - 4
1880s - 6
1890s - 3
1900s - 6
1910s - 5
1920s - 9
1930s - 9
1940s - 7
1950s - 2
1960s - 6
1970s - 6
1980s - 4
1990s - 2
2000s - 3
2010s - 3

Countries

U.S. - 19
England - 18
Russia/U.S.S.R. - 13
France - 12
Germany - 7
Austria - 4
Italy - 4
Spain - 3
Czechia - 2
Japan - 2
Switzerland - 2
Argentina - 1
Bohemia - 1
Brazil - 1
Canada - 1
Chile - 1
Colombia - 1
Hungary - 1
Ireland - 1
Kiowa - 1
Mexico - 1
Norway - 1
Poland - 1
Portugal - 1
Scotland - 1

Writers

Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский (Fyodor Dostoevsky) (Russia) - 4
Hermann Broch (Austria) - 3
Thomas Mann (Germany) - 3
Андре́й Бе́лый (Andrei Bely) (Russia) - 2
Joseph Conrad (England) - 2
Gustave Flaubert (France) - 2
D.H. Lawrence (England) - 2
W.G. Sebald (Germany) - 2
Stendhal (France) - 2
Лев Николаевич Толстой (Leo Tolstoy) (Russia) - 2

Top 250

Decades/Centuries

1st c. - 1
14th c. - 1
15th c. - 1
16th c. - 1
17th c. - 1
18th c. - 7
1800s - 4
1810s - 3
1820s - 5
1830s - 6
1840s - 6
1850s - 8
1860s - 8
1870s - 5
1880s - 8
1890s - 11
1900s - 12
1910s - 8
1920s - 24
1930s - 21
1940s - 14
1950s - 18
1960s - 16
1970s - 13
1980s - 11
1990s - 10
2000s - 13
2010s - 14

Countries

U.S. - 69
England - 47
France - 25
Russia/U.S.S.R. - 22
Germany - 14
Austria - 9
Ireland - 9
Italy/Rome - 6
Spain - 6
Japan - 4
Poland - 4
Switzerland - 4
Bohemia - 3
Czechia - 3
Brazil - 2
Canada - 2
Chile - 2
Colombia - 2
Mexico - 2
Norway - 2
Albania - 1
Argentina - 1
China - 1
Cuba - 1
El Salvador - 1
Hungary - 1
India - 1
Kenya - 1
Kiowa - 1
Portugal - 1
Scotland - 1
South Africa - 1
Turkey - 1

Writers

Hermann Broch (Austria) - 4
Joseph Conrad (England) - 4
Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский (Fyodor Dostoevsky) (Russia) - 4
Ernest Hemingway (U.S.) - 4
D.H. Lawrence (England) - 4
Thomas Mann (Germany) - 4
Charles Dickens (England) - 3
William Faulkner (U.S.) - 3
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Germany) - 3
Thomas Hardy (England) - 3
Vladimir Nabokov (Russia/U.S.) - 3
Honoré de Balzac (France) - 2
Андре́й Бе́лый (Andrei Bely) (Russia) - 2
Raymond Chandler (U.S.) - 2
Don DeLillo (U.S.) - 2
Philip K. Dick (U.S.) - 2
Gustave Flaubert (France) - 2
Witold Gombrowicz (Poland) - 2
Graham Greene (England) - 2
James Joyce (Ireland) - 2
Franz Kafka (Bohemia) - 2
Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis (Brazil) - 2
Henry Miller (U.S.) - 2
Robert Musil (Austria) - 2
Benito Pérez Galdós (Spain) - 2
W.G. Sebald (Germany) - 2
Stendhal (France) - 2
Лев Николаевич Толстой (Leo Tolstoy) (Russia) - 2
Virginia Woolf (England) - 2
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Greg was the last list I was expecting. We have passed the 'soft' deadline, but I won't be posting the results until after waking up tomorrow, so anyone still considering submitting can do so before the 'hard' deadline of me starting the results topic (it only takes a few minutes for me to add a list, so no worries).

With Greg's list, we have 269 novels which have received at least two votes. I was hoping that every book with at least 3 votes would end up in our top 200, but two of those novels fell right outside at #204 and #208. If nothing else, this suggests we have a strong top 200 - a single #1 vote would have only landed at #187. We received 27 lists compared to 21 in 2017.

Return to “General Discussion”