The Last of Us: Part II

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

The Last of Us: Part II

Post by letmeintomyzone »

96 on Metacritic, higher than the original.

Anyone got to play this yet?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: The Last of Us: Part II

Post by Nassim »

For some reason I tend to play those big AA games a couple years after their releases for some reason.
In any case, I have just started Xenoblade Chronicles and Persona 4 Golden just dropped on Steam so I won't have free time to play another game for a while, and if I have I'd rather try to get better at MK11 or sneak in a few Civilization VI games !

Anyway, I know the Metacritic is high, but both kotaku and polygon reviews are less positive, because of the story and worldview of the game much more than any technical issue, and those 2 are my "go to" sources for quality opinions on video games.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: The Last of Us: Part II

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm also in the 'currently playing Xenoblade' boat, which is going to take some time. And with how short Naughty Dog games tend to be, I feel the need to wait for a price drop. I also agree with a lot of the reviews saying it's unnecessarily bleak in an era when we don't really need that. So I'm sure it's fine, but I also feel like many of the critics praising the narrative are too easily convinced. It may be daring to tell a narrative few games attempt, but is acting more serious actually enough? Too many mainstream games get praised for simply being 'serious,' but not all great stories are serious, and there are a ton of 'serious' works in other mediums which end up saying nothing at all.

And, boy, do some critics really not know how to make a convincing argument. I have seen multiple people say it's "not fun" as if that's a positive. Like, yes, not all games need to be 'fun,' but there has to be a better way to describe something which is thoroughly engaging despite a dire atmosphere. "Not fun" is the most negative way to describe that experience.

Return to “General Discussion”