AcclaimedMusic TVTropes Page

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

AcclaimedMusic TVTropes Page

Post by whuntva »

A long time ago, I made a TVTropes Page for AcclaimedMusic:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... aimedMusic

With only four tropes, it needs a little work. I appreciate the site's efforts to archive the albums list also, but I feel this page could use some overhauling. If you have any tropes you would like to add, feel free to tell me or if you have an account, do it yourself. I think this is great but would appreciate some assistance.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
mileswide
Full of Fire

Re: AcclaimedMusic TVTropes Page

Post by mileswide »

I'm hooked on TVTropes, I always have at least a tab open (I don't always exercise such restraint), it didn't even occur to me to search for AM on there though!

I did consider re-iterating how great we are through tropes like "Shown Their Work" and "GIFT: Completely averted" but I decided to plump for these for now (I don't have an account):

Top Ten Lists: ...and top 100, top 1000, top any other number you should care to mention. The raison d'être (Gratuitous French) of the main site and a key point of discussion on the forums to the point that Obsessed Are the Listmakers, especially when all-time polls are held.

Come for X, Stay for Y: Come for the critics' best ever songs and albums, stay to discuss your own and others' all-time favourites! Or vice versa! (YMMV)

MMK3 Mantra: Word of God on the aggregation of critics' highest rated artists "This artist ranking should not be taken too seriously".

Quality by Popular Vote:
- Discussed and zig-zagged in the forums; little evidence of the absolute conviction that Rock Is Authentic, Pop Is Shallow but a Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism can be applied towards poptimism for example, with varying degrees of appreciation of or frustration among AMers with this trend in music journalism.
- Inverted somewhat with the annual Moderately Acclaimed Albums and Unacclaimed Songs competition, which aim to determine the forum's favourite music overlooked by critics, but downplayed in that a popular vote is required to reach this conclusion (Captain Obvious).

Needs More Love: Could well be the rallying cry behind any nomination for the forums' various tournaments but particularly the Moderately Acclaimed/Unacclaimed polls. May result in strong Critical Dissonance if a forum consensus emerges in favour of a work perceived as having experienced an unjust Critical Backlash or treated as an Old Shame by the artist needing to be
Rescued from the Scrappy Heap.

That's all I can come up with at the moment, hopefully the tropes weren't too contrived, nor the writing too convoluted!
All I got inside is vacancy!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Liking the recent additions, especially the ones specific to the AT albums poll, are you responsible for them, whuntva? Just one thing though:

- Reading my Quality by Popular Vote suggestion back, I can see I wasn't clear that I was referring to AMF users reacting to professional music reviewers' increasing tendency towards poptimism, rather than to the same sentiment amongst other AMers. There is evidence of the latter, though, so I'd personally just alter "this trend in music journalism" to "this trend in music criticism" (we could be argued to be critics on here but I doubt that most of us are journalists).

I massively endorse everything else, however, especially "It almost functions like a listening club for musical enthusiasts" ^this, truly the best thing about the site!
All I got inside is vacancy!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

mileswide wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:55 pm Liking the recent additions, especially the ones specific to the AT albums poll, are you responsible for them, whuntva? Just one thing though:

- Reading my Quality by Popular Vote suggestion back, I can see I wasn't clear that I was referring to AMF users reacting to professional music reviewers' increasing tendency towards poptimism, rather than to the same sentiment amongst other AMers. There is evidence of the latter, though, so I'd personally just alter "this trend in music journalism" to "this trend in music criticism" (we could be argued to be critics on here but I doubt that most of us are journalists).

I massively endorse everything else, however, especially "It almost functions like a listening club for musical enthusiasts" ^this, truly the best thing about the site!
I did include them. As far as I know, I am the only one to add tropes.

But keep suggestions coming. The more, the merrier.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

Return to “General Discussion”