Favorite Album Artwork this Decade?

FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Favorite Album Artwork this Decade?

Post by FrankLotion »

I know it’s early in the year but I wanted to open a space where people can show appreciation for some album artwork that may have resonated with them over the last decade! Even as streaming has dominated the way most people consume music, the cover of an album (or single) remains an inseparable part of the presentation of the work that many artists and designers labor over, so I feel it is only right to give them a little love.

So yeah, if there’s any cover art that came out since 2010 that really stuck with you, I’d love to see it! You can even make a list of your favorites if you want!
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Re: Favorite Album Artwork this Decade?

Post by FrankLotion »

I’ll start with Kendrick Lamar:
B783C232-561F-4A3C-8C1C-2870D7E42F90.jpeg
While this somehow ended up being only my third favorite album of his this decade, this artwork stands out the most for me. This cover really says so much about Kendrick and his intention to show his unique perspective by just slightly editing a very candid and innocuous photo. I always appreciate an image that conveys a lot without being too loud about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Swans - The Seer. Meanwhile, I am dragging my feet on listening to their followup because the cover art is goofy.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Live in Phoenix wrote:Swans - The Seer. Meanwhile, I am dragging my feet on listening to their followup because the cover art is goofy.
This one’s great! I actually kind of find most of Swans’ album artwork to be a little goofy (in a good way). I would definitely listen to To Be Kind if you’re a fan of the Seer, as long as you have the patience for it
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

No contest.

FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Nick wrote:No contest.

This was going to be my next one!!! I have the vinyl at home and when it’s literally bathed in sunlight it gives the room this warm pink glow, also whoever picked that typeface deserves an award

Also Moonbeam I don’t think I actually looked at the album art for that Jenny Lewis record when I listened to it in MAA 2018, it’s weirdly hypnotic looking but very striking (like the album)
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Sunbather is a great example of a situation where album art probably attracted critical acclaim. I can't imagine Sunbather would have done as well if it had a generic metal album cover.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was Andy Stott's album covers. They're all distinctive, unique, and accentuate the dark, bass-heavy music. I love the black and white aesthetic - wonder how he thought of it.

DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Hurray for the Riff Raff. The Navigator
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

This POS makes me giggle
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

There is No More Firmament.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

prosecutorgodot wrote:This POS makes me giggle
Thanks for bringing that one back - how quickly that whole thing was forgotten!
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Eliza Doolittle - Eliza Doolittle (2010): funny

Christina Aguilera - Bi-on-ic (2010): futuristic

Jaga Jazzist - One Armed Bandit (2010): elementary

Lindi Ortega - Little Red Boots (2011): sensual

Laura Marling - Once I Was an Eagle (2013): stylish

GoGo Penguin - V2.0 (2014): minimalistic

Grimes - ArtAngels (2015): experimental

Arca - Mutant (2015): scary
Last edited by bonnielaurel on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Here are some other favorites of mine, that haven't been already listed in this thread...

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

ordinaryperson wrote:Image
What's this one?
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Jackson wrote:
ordinaryperson wrote:Image
What's this one?
Birth of a New Day (新しい日の誕生) by 2814
There is No More Firmament.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Devo - Something For Everyone

MGMT - Congratulations
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

DocBrown wrote:Image

Hurray for the Riff Raff. The Navigator
This is a good case of an album cover that actually got me to listen to the album. It seems to promise a story somehow. I fell in love with the music on it as well. One of the best.

When we did an albums cover poll a few years ago I also voted the one for Vampire Weekend's Contra near the top. I wrote about that expression on the lady that is hard to define. A great photograph. Also a shout-out to the covers mentioned for Sunbather, Art Angels and the ones by Andy Stott.

I can't find the time to make a list these days, but I do like a good album cover almost as much as good music, so I like the idea of posting one example every now and then. Let's start with the favorite of all that I physically own on vinyl:

In Lana Del Rey's music there frequently seems to be a nod to 1950's culture (her next album will be called Norman Fucking Rockwell, no less) and this photo seems to suggest the sunny sheen of the kind of Americana that belongs to the coasts of either California or Florida in these days. You can imagine old-fashioned Cadillacs driving past, with boys with slick Elvis hair at the wheel. I like how the bus almost functions as a wall, dwarfing Del Rey somewhat. The typeset is also perfectly matched to the image and to the era it wants to suggest.

The backside become the literal backside of that photo:
(This example is cut off wrong, but I can't find a clear version of the complete art for some reason).

The insides of this double LP are also beautifully designed, as is the accompanying booklet. It is a concept album with a story-line and the whole package is designed to not only get you into the right atmosphere musically, but also visually. I liked some other artwork for Lana Del Rey music, but nothing comes close to this one.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

This one I noticed on MegaCritic this week and really captivated me:

This is amazing in many ways. Of course, it is easy to draw attention with many (half-)naked people, but the way it is used is noticeable. I love how both the artist name as well as the album title work together with that image. In the middle of the picture stands singer Rebecca Taylor and she looks very uncomfortable being naked and surrounded by all these people. That reflects her pseudonym, Self Esteem. The title is Compliments Please, which she gets in too big a way with all these sexy people hugging her, which doesn't seem to help her self esteem at all. So this weird image becomes a funny statement on her artist name. The classic "window" enforces the look of ancient statues that the people somehow evoke.

Haven't heard the album yet, by the way, but this is a cover that makes me want to.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool (2016)

Easily one of Radiohead's best album covers. It flows nice just like the album.

Drab Majesty - The Demonstration (2017)

A great cover for a great band. Another cover that perfectly fits the music.

Post Malone - Beerbongs & Bentleys (2018)

*CD Cover*
*Vinyl Cover*

I am not sure how well received I will be since I love Post Malone. I like the way he is shaking up popular music with his mix of hip hop, rock, and pop. The Beerbongs & Bentleys cover really strikes me for some reason, both the CD and the Vinyl cover although I prefer the CD.

Pink Floyd - Endless River (2014)

By no means a great album, but an excellent album cover none the less.

Tame Impala - Lonerism (2012)

Not what I picture when I hear the music but it many ways it just works so well...

XXXTENTACION - ? (2018)

Another artist that gets a lot of criticism and I totally understand it. But for some reason the simplistic cover clicks with me well because of his mysterious image.

Kanye West - Ye (2018)

Recently started getting into his music and the words on this cover perfectly represent Kanye, his personality, and how the media portrays him.

Keane - Strangeland (2012)

One of my favorite bands from 00s but this album lacks a little for me but this cover is beautifully crafted.

The Drums - The Drums (2010)

This cover perfectly embodies the juvenile and fun sound of the band.

Thom Yorke - Suspira (2018)

The genius hits us again with a striking cover of high contrast unlike any of his previous work.

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds - Who Built The Moon? (2017)

By far his best work IMO.

Paper Towels - Year Of The Dog (2018)

So this guy is a local artist I know and love and I love his sound and style.

Depeche Mode - Delta Machine (2013)

My favorite band of all time. Their albums and covers never cease to impress me.
Edre the Depeche Head
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Edre Peraza wrote: I am not sure how well received I will be since I love Post Malone. I like the way he is shaking up popular music with his mix of hip hop, rock, and pop. The Beerbongs & Bentleys cover really strikes me for some reason, both the CD and the Vinyl cover although I prefer the CD.
Beerbongs & Bentleys actually made the AMF's poll for 2018's best albums. Although I am a fan of so-called "soundcloud rap", i've never really liked any of Post Malone's stuff, except for "White Iverson" and "Better Now". He seems like an artist tended to cater to the mainstream in my opinion, but that's just me. But he's one of the most popular musicians in the world right now, so I guess that doesn't matter to the public :o
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Cold Butterfly wrote:
Edre Peraza wrote: I am not sure how well received I will be since I love Post Malone. I like the way he is shaking up popular music with his mix of hip hop, rock, and pop. The Beerbongs & Bentleys cover really strikes me for some reason, both the CD and the Vinyl cover although I prefer the CD.
Beerbongs & Bentleys actually made the AMF's poll for 2018's best albums. Although I am a fan of so-called "soundcloud rap", i've never really liked any of Post Malone's stuff, except for "White Iverson" and "Better Now". He seems like an artist tended to cater to the mainstream in my opinion, but that's just me. But he's one of the most popular musicians in the world right now, so I guess that doesn't matter to the public :o
I understand. He is defiantly an acquired taste. He isn't really soundcloud rap since he has a lot of rock and folk influence. I can see him doing rock or folk in the future.
Edre the Depeche Head
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

As is the case with most of their most recent work I find the music to be pretty middling but I love the album art, this one being particularly great minus the awkwardly placed photo of the band in the upper right...

VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

Started the decade as the best and ended it.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Not mad keen on what I've heard of the singles on the album but the cover for Skepta's Ignorance Is Bliss is visually arresting (apologies for the grainy resolution):

All I got inside is vacancy!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I expressed my love for J Balvin’s ”Vibras” in another topic, but the album cover is what might stand out the most.

Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Just discovered this:

From The First Glass Beach Album, by The Glass Beach. No clue about the music inside, but this is a cover to lose yourself in.
Last edited by Rob on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

All of these are really great! I’ve never seen the last few covers with exception to Janelle, the Skepta artwork in particular is pretty amusing :P

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”