Albums of 2019

Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Re: Albums of 2019

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Titanic Rising is easily the best rock album of the year so far. Gotta say it’s a must-listen definitely, the press aren’t bluffing.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Essential
Xiu Xiu | Girl with Basket of Fruit

Excellent
Black Taffy | Elder Mantis
James Blake | Assume Form
Weyes Blood | Titanic Rising
Deerhunter | Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?

Great
Nivhek | After It's Own Death / Walking in a Spiral Towards the House
American Football | American Football (III)
Solange | When I Get Home
Ariana Grande | Thank U, Next
Sharon Van Etten | Remind Me Tomorrow
Billie Eilish | WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP WHERE DO WE GO
Gesaffelstein | Hyperion
D∆WN | New Breed

Good
2 Chainz | Rap or Go to the League
Danger Mouse & Karen O | Lux Prima
Helado Negro | This Is How You Smile
CHAI | Punk
Flume | Hi This Is Flume
Future | Future Hndrxx Presents: The WZRD

Solid
Maggie Rodgers | Heard It in a Past Life
Jenny Lewis | On the Line
Panda Bear | Buoys

Poor
Lil Pump | Harverd Dropout

Poor
Weezer | Weezer (The Teal Album)
discord
Let's Get It On

Post by discord »

I like John Garcia and the Band of Gold.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Typically, I'm not big on melodies (for me, much of the time, the more discordant the better), but even I have to admit that the new American Football album has some really nice ones.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Mercury Rev’s album keeps climbing higher on my list.

It’s a covers album that marries the southern blues with dream pop and creates deeply emotional performances.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The new Weyes Blood album is as good as people are saying. Believe the hype. My new AOTY so far. If you like Julia Holter you'll probably like this.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Listening to the new Jenny Wilson album and it is earning the “HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!” response! It’s like EXORCISM + an orchestra set out like a got damn stage play. “Säg vad som hände” in particular is a SUPERNOVA!
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

1. Better Oblivion Community Center - Better Oblivion Community Center
2. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
3. FIDLAR - Almost Free
4. Lady Lamb - Even in the Tremor
5. William Tyler - Goes West
6. Julia Jacklin - Crushing
7. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
8. Maggie Rogers - Heard It in a Past Life
9. Norah Jones - Begin Again
10. Mono - Nowhere Now Here
11. Karen O and Danger Mouse - Lux Prima
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

On the heels of the scalding, mind-blowing experience of EXORCISM, Jenny Wilson treads the same thematic terrain in its sister album Trauma, her first sung in her native Swedish. Jenny confessed that in her life, she had associated the Swedish language with lullabies in her youth, and that she felt she needed English (the "language of rock and roll") to convey the messages in her music. This makes her choice of Swedish here feel deeply personal and intimate, and it is to the album's credit.

While EXORCISM managed to foster an uneasy tension between the overarching theme of the rape she experienced a few years prior and a soundscape consisting of club-thumping, irresistible beats and fluorescent synths, Trauma meshes her electronic sound with orchestral grandeur courtesy of collaborators Hans Ek and the Norrköping Symphony Orchestra. This makes the experience all the more grand, feeling like a feast for the senses, a sort of stage play through which Jenny can shine a light onto her trauma. Through 8 songs, she gives life to the conflicting emotions that define the experience for her: her righteous anger battling with her self-blame and doubt, the strength she finds in telling her story fighting with her feelings of fading into nothingness.

The album starts with a bang. "Göra Saken Värre" sets the stage quite literally, opening with delicate strings and woodwinds giving way to a drum machine as Jenny recounts the injustice of getting something she never asked for. The song builds into a storm with a heavy synth bass propelling a danceable rhythm as Jenny grows more animated in her delivery, the orchestral swells adding great dramatic flare. In "Vem Är Rädd För Vem?", Jenny finds strength in her newfound voice in these matters, taunting her rapist and insisting that he must now be afraid of her in a thrilling flip of the script: "You were my worst nightmare, but now I'm haunting you, your poison has made me dangerous, because I'm writing about my trauma" she decrees as thunderous orchestral storms and skittering synths ignite around her. Completing the opening trifecta is the particularly spellbinding "Säg Vad Som Hände". It starts off plaintive, with piano and strings tugging at heartstrings as the words flow tenderly from Jenny like opulent pearls, gradually building as she mournfully recounts feeling betrayed by the moon and stars that were shining on the night of her rape. The song then erupts in volcanic, pulsing electronic fury 2 minutes in, Jenny's lyrics now gushing forth at full roar like dragon's breath as she relays the horrors of what happened to her, repeatedly urging herself to "say what happened" and likening herself to an ancient dragon awakened in rage while the full orchestra takes flight. The song retreats again into vulnerable tenderness, twinkling xylophones glistening like stars and eerie strings filling the night sky with fog, her repeated insistence of "say what happened" now marked with devastating sadness. The song closes with an instrumental flurry, the adrenaline-pumping electronic pulse taking hold once more before subsiding into eerie reverie. The word "epic" has had its meaning bludgeoned to death from overuse, but it is an appropriate descriptor here. "Säg Vad Som Hände" is so grandiose, so visual, so spectacularly all-encompassing that it feels like a stage play unto itself within the larger theatre of the album.

The album then shifts into slower, sadder territory, as Jenny openly wonders whether she could have prevented this violence and hatred forced upon her in "Kunde Jag (Ha Hindrat Dig)", while the instrumental "08-616 46 70", named after an emergency phone number for raped women in Sweden, rumbles like a disquieting interlude from the soundtrack to Edward Scissorhands. The following "Händelseförloppet" is a harrowing, spoken-word retelling of all of the details of her rape. The details are gruesome: starting from an innocuous night out drinking with friends who then go to a packed rave with thumping music (which makes EXORCISM's soundscape all the more harrowing in retrospect) before she loses sight of her friends and decides to go home. She approaches a taxi but felt the driver looked unreliable (how she must tear herself up over that decision), opting instead for the subway, feeling wobbly from the effects of the night. There, a guy says she shouldn't be alone and says he was going the same direction as her. She drifts off in the subway, waking up when her stop was announced on the speakers. She and her attacker get off the subway, and he suggests that he walk her to her door, and suddenly they are on her couch, and she wonders how this could happen. He flips her over on the couch and takes off her pants as she is frozen, lying still. She feels his weight on her as he covers her mouth with one hand while opening his fly with the other. He then proceeds to rape her, twice saying "I can't help it" as she suffers motionless, hearing the air squeezed out of her lungs as he finishes and the early rays of the morning start to appear. While pieces of this narrative populate other songs on this album and EXORCISM, the cold, full retelling here with the unnerving orchestral backdrop makes it the most chilling of them all.

A short, plaintive instrumental "Förvandlingen" precedes the closing "Jag Finns Inte Mer", a profoundly sad and unsettling closer in which she describes the way her memory of the attack makes her physically tense up and suffer from stomachache. Worse still, she feels an almost out-of-body lifting (or sinking) as she wonders "Is there even a Jenny Wilson left?" before concluding "I'm no longer here".

Throughout her career, Jenny Wilson has crafted enthralling music that extends across a broad palette of art pop. And while her earlier albums are well worthy of exploration, it is the potency that she has found with EXORCISM and now Trauma that makes her one of the most important artists of the decade, a hero to women and men alike for her courage and ability to turn her lowest moment into the most beautiful, powerful, life-changing artistic statements. Bravo, Jenny. Bravo!

Here is a link to a Google Sheet I have made with translations from Google.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Bob Mould - Sunshine Rock 4/5
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Sharon Van Etten is still my favorite this year, though lots of catch-up listening to do as I've been more focused on 2010s EOD listening so far this year.

There should be lots of good albums on the way soon: Sky Ferreira, Carly Rae Jepsen, Men I Trust, Holly Herndon, and Hatchie are some I'm looking forward to that I expect soon.

EDIT: Flying Lotus is coming out with a new album in May? What??
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I agree the Jenny Wilson album is awesome. Also heard a new These New Puritans album which is awesome.

Post by _______________ »

Prong ft Chaka Khan: Showing Out (Get Fresh At The Weekend 2323) is a so much better remix than the Lisa Tanfields one
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Jenny Lewis - On the Line 7.9
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising 7.9
Aleksi Perälä - Sunshine 3 7.9
2 Chainz - Rap or Go to the League 7.8
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow 7.8
American Football - American Football [LP3] 7.7
Deerhunter - Why Hasn’t Everything Already Disappeared? 7.5
Xiu Xiu - Girl with Basket of Fruit 7.1
YNW Melly - We All Shine 6.9
James Blake - Assume Form 6.8
Little Simz - Grey Area 6.7
Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next 6.5
Solange - When I Get Home 6.5
Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel 6.3
Future - The WIZRD 6.1
I feel like that
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I am not liking the new Vampire Weekend LP at all...It just feels overblown and all over the place, compared to their past releases. I can't find any consistency in Father Of The Bride whatsoever, and their sound have become dumbed down and flawed on this album.

The intellect that made Vampire Weekend what it is is still there on some places, but it lacks the beauty that saturated Modern Vampires Of The City as well. Maybe i'm being too harsh, but it's not the type of album people are gonna be going crazy about ten years from now. Definitely their worst release yet, and probably the year's most disappointing and overhyped release, in my opinion.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Essential
Weyes Blood | Titanic Rising
Xiu Xiu | Girl With Basket of Fruit
Beyoncé | Homecoming: The Live Album

Excellent
Nilüfer Yanya | Miss Universe
Vampire Weekend | Father of the Bride
Black Taffy | Elder Mantis
James Blake | Assume Form
Deerhunter | Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?

Great
Nivhek | After It's Own Death / Walking in a Spiral Towards the House
Anderson .Paak | Ventura
American Football | American Football (III)
Solange | When I Get Home
Ariana Grande | Thank U, Next
Sharon Van Etten | Remind Me Tomorrow
Billie Eilish | WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP WHERE DO WE GO
Gesaffelstein | Hyperion
D∆WN | New Breed

Good
2 Chainz | Rap or Go to the League
BLACKPINK | Kill This Love
Danger Mouse & Karen O | Lux Prima
Helado Negro | This Is How You Smile
CHAI | Punk
Flume | Hi This Is Flume
Future | Future Hndrxx Presents: The WZRD

Solid
Maggie Rodgers | Heard It in a Past Life
Ioanna Gika | Thalassa
Jenny Lewis | On the Line
Panda Bear | Buoys

Poor
Lil Pump | Harverd Dropout

Poor
Weezer | Weezer (The Teal Album)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Cold Butterfly wrote:I am not liking the new Vampire Weekend LP at all...It just feels overblown and all over the place, compared to their past releases. I can't find any consistency in Father Of The Bride whatsoever, and their sound have become dumbed down and flawed on this album.

The intellect that made Vampire Weekend what it is is still there on some places, but it lacks the beauty that saturated Modern Vampires Of The City as well. Maybe i'm being too harsh, but it's not the type of album people are gonna be going crazy about ten years from now. Definitely their worst release yet, and probably the year's most disappointing and overhyped release, in my opinion.
It's a very good album (to me of course), but it feels sort of like their Sky Blue Sky. Now, I like Sky Blue Sky an awful lot, but compared to Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and A Ghost is Born, Sky Blue Sky just feels like a step down. And that's how I see this new Vampire Weekend album. Much like Sky Blue Sky, Father of the Bride is the sound of a band settling comfortably into a groove. The band has nothing left to prove, and the frantic young man energy that powered their earlier music has been replaced by something more familiar, something less challenging. I really hate the phrase "dad rock", but that's sort of what this is. Maybe I need to have a couple of kids and buy a minivan and move to the burbs to really get it. But I don't have any kids and I own a sedan and I don't live in the burbs. Oh well.

Still a very, very good album though. The band's ear for melody is sharp and there are moments where they're stepping a little outside of their comfort zone (with the gospel choir on "Hold You Now" for instance). It has a decent shot at making my top 10 - 15 albums of the year when all is said and done. But it's no Modern Vampires of the City or anything.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The year is (roughly) 1/3rd of the way over. Here's where we stand...

Great:

1. Weyes Blood- Titanic Rising

Very Good:

2. Vampire Weekend- Father of the Bride
3. Solange- When I Get Home
4. Sharon Van Etten- Remind Me Tomorrow
5. The Comet Is Coming- Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
6. Big Thief- U.F.O.F.
7. Beyoncé- Homecoming: The Live Album
8. Fontaines D.C.- Dogrel
9. Malibu Ken- Malibu Ken
10. Little Simz- Grey Area

Good:

11. Billie Eilish- When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
12. Helado Negro- This Is How You Smile
13. Ariana Grande- Thank U, Next
14. CHAI- PUNK
15. Deerhunter- Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
16. Better Oblivion Community Center- Better Oblivion Community Center

Decent:

17. Kevin Abstract- ARIZONA baby (EP)
18. James Blake- Assume Form
19. Panda Bear- Buoys
20. Toro y Moi- Outer Peace

Poor:

21. Xiu Xiu- Girl with Basket of Fruit
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

My favourites so far...

1 | Little Simz | Grey Area
I like the sleek production, which ranges from fiery to soulful. And lyrically, I'm loving how she's both badass and feminine.
A track: Selfish

2 | James Blake | Assume Form 
His dubstep origins are still very noticeable, but this album is firmly rooted in R&B and pop. And he makes flamenco sound gracious on a track or two. The atmosphere of this really strikes a chord with me.
A track: Barefoot in the Park

3 | Our Native Daughters | Songs of Our Native Daughters 
Some of roots music's most accomplished women create an album that is often deeply powerful.
A track: Mama's Crying Long

4 | Vampire Weekend | Father of the Bride 
After a couple of listens, it doesn't excite me as much as any of their previous records. I don’t think it's quite the magnum opus the band intended it to be, but I like how they incorporate a wider variety of genres on this one. I also like that they still sound familiarly like Vampire Weekend. It's nice to have them back.
A track: This Life

5 | Field Medic | fade into the dawn 
I prefer the folk and singer/songwriter tracks over the more low-fi ones, but overall I'm touched by the openness of the lyrics and the fuzzy musical textures.
A track: The Bottle's My Lover, She's Just My Friend

6 | Sharon Van Etten | Remind Me Tomorrow 
It's confessional and has punch, which could probably be said of much of her previous work too. But the addition of synths on this one somehow makes me feel her for the first time.
A track: Seventeen

7 | Altın Gün | Gece 
Often thrilling Turkish psychedelia.
A track: Süpürgesi Yoncadan

8 | Mercury Rev | Bobbie Gentry's The Delta Sweete Revisited 
Musically more orchestral and layered than Bobbie Gentry's original, but mostly also true to its country soul.
A track: Ode to Billy Joe

9 | Leo Bud Welch | The Angels in Heaven Done Signed My Name 
Gospel blues with a production that sounds gritty in both an old-school and modern way.
A track: Don't Let the Devil Ride

10 | Damien Jurado | In the Shape of a Storm 
Intimate, sweet indie folk.
A track: Where You Want Me to Be
...will keep us together.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

New National album coming!!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I don't see it getting much love on here, but Aldous Harding's Designer is an excellent album, well above the standard set on 2017's Party. The tracks The Barrel and Fixture Picture are the standouts to me.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery just shot up the charts to my AOTY. I love the combination of influences it explores.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Jackson wrote:The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery just shot up the charts to my AOTY. I love the combination of influences it explores.
Agree.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Jirin wrote:
Jackson wrote:The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery just shot up the charts to my AOTY. I love the combination of influences it explores.
Agree.
Me three! I've never been so enthralled by a bassoon. Jazz fusion might slowly be turning into one of my favorite genres.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Fennesz has another really good minimalist album, Agora.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Only three and a half hours until the new Tyler album drops. And I am absolutely fucking hyped for it.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Cold Butterfly wrote:Only three and a half hours until the new Tyler album drops. And I am absolutely fucking hyped for it.
Yeah I'm really liking the album. IGOR.

Carly Rae Jepsen's new album is a pleasant listen. The National album is just decent IMO.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Fri May 17, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Listened to I Am Easy to Find twice this morning. Initial reaction:

It's not one of the band's best album, but it's solid. There's utterly no reason for it to be over an hour long though. I like that the band is taking chances, such as the heavy incorporation of female vocalists and electronic influences. "Rylan" and "You Had Your Soul With You" are my early favorites.
OPTrav
Superunknown

Post by OPTrav »

Yeah so Igor's really good imo but I have no clue how critics will react. With Flower Boy, I sort of knew it would be widely acclaimed but with Igor it's a different ball game. Without the rapping, you lose a bit of the structure and it's a lot looser and could be seen as repetitive. We're already seeing some of that backlash coming out from the fans so it'll be super interesting to see how it will set into the public opinion and whether critics will love it or just think its mediocre. Either way, after a couple listens I really love the album but I'm still debating whether or not it's as good or better than Flower Boy.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Listening to new National album now. Another solid album, can’t say where it ranks yet. I like they departed further from their classic style than before.

Maybe not their best ever but likely not to break their perfect record of landing in my year end top 10 since Boxer.

Right now probably the only bands left I’d automatically buy an album before hearing it are National, St Vincent, LCD Soundsystem and Kendrick Lamar.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Please tell me i’m not the only one who thinks The National are one of this generation’s most overrated bands :?
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

OPTrav wrote:Yeah so Igor's really good imo but I have no clue how critics will react. With Flower Boy, I sort of knew it would be widely acclaimed but with Igor it's a different ball game. Without the rapping, you lose a bit of the structure and it's a lot looser and could be seen as repetitive. We're already seeing some of that backlash coming out from the fans so it'll be super interesting to see how it will set into the public opinion and whether critics will love it or just think its mediocre. Either way, after a couple listens I really love the album but I'm still debating whether or not it's as good or better than Flower Boy.
I agree, this will be (and already is) a heavily divisive album, but i’m really loving it so far. As of right now I don’t think it surpasses Flower Boy, but works like this tend to be growers over time.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Cold Butterfly wrote:Please tell me i’m not the only one who thinks The National are one of this generation’s most overrated bands :?

Alas, you are the only one. This is the only band every person in the world agrees with that is amazing. You are probably still in denial.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Rob wrote:
Cold Butterfly wrote:Please tell me i’m not the only one who thinks The National are one of this generation’s most overrated bands :?

Alas, you are the only one. This is the only band every person in the world agrees with that is amazing. You are probably still in denial.
I get why people enjoy them, but personally i've never understood the hype. Never liked any of their releases, and I don't think I will anytime soon. Maybe i'm just ignorant, but could you explain their appeal to me?
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Maybe not Pavement overrated but a tad I guess. Nothing really stands out for me but I’d still rather see them rank higher than some hipster snob Brooklyn indie act.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

It’s hard to put a finger on. Their tone of alienation just really strikes a chord. They’re catchy without being corny. They ‘soft sell’ themselves musically. The atmospheric backgrounds don’t beg for your attention like most hooky pop rock, you just kind of sink in.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

The amount of time spent listening to The National skyrocketed after I graduated from college (do with that information what you will). I do really enjoy their lyrics, but they obviously have a great band dynamic as well. I also really like Matt Bernihger's vocals.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Going into my midyear mini-tournament, here's the top of my list:

1. Elena Setein - Another Kind of Revolution
2. Mercury Rev - Bobbie Gentry's The Delta Sweete Revisited
3. Little Simz - GREY Area
4. Dave - Psychodrama
5. Sundara Karma - Ulifas' Alphabet
6. Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - De Facto
7. You Tell Me - You Tell Me
8. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
9. Malibu Ken - Malibu Ken
10. Ariana Grande - thank u, next

Good chance to crack top 10 after mini-tournament:
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
KARYYN - The Quanta Series
Fennesz - Agora
American Football - American Football
The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
The National - I Am Easy To Find
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I was pretty uncertain about the new National album going into it, but I ended up liking it a lot. I think the woman vocalists really help the songs out and prevent them from falling into the same old formula that the band dips into, sometimes to their detriment.

I haven’t had a lot of time to digest the album, but I do think it’s better than Sleep Well Beast and probably tied with Trouble Will Find Me and Alligator for my 3rd favorite National album.
acr0320
Are You Experienced?

Post by acr0320 »

So far, my list goes:

1. Tyler, the Creator - Igor
2. The National - I Am Easy to Find
3. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
4. Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
5. Solange - When I Get Home
6. James Blake - Assume Form
7. Avey Tare - Cows on Hourglass Pond
8. Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
9. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
10. Deerhunter - Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared
11. Ariana Grande - thank u, next
12. Karen O & Danger Mouse - Lux Prima
13. Bob Mould - Sunshine Rock
14. Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated
15. Esperanza Spalding - 12 Little Spells

Pretty solid year so far, really looking forward to the new Sleater Kinney album
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

So back to what I said about IGOR a week ago, I really think it's Tyler's best album yet, and the album we've all expected him to make ever since he gained notoriety with Odd Future earlier in the decade.

It's the best rap album of the year so far, even though it defies the genre's conventions and what you should expect to hear in a "rap album". There are moments on this album which will simply leave you in awe as you hear the material. Earlier this week I was trying to hold back tears listening to "GONE, GONE/THANK YOU", which is one of the most powerful pieces of music i've heard in recent memory. "EARFQUAKE" is simply one of the year's best singles as well, but that's not to count out the album as a whole, which is simply beautiful and cohesive. This truly is a concept album ----- a history of the relationship, the fallout, and the aftermath which is all too relatable to all of us. IGOR is one of the year's richest musical experiences, and a must-listen.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

The new Flying Lotus album is excellent. I like the lots of songs / short run times format for his music, which allows him to explore a lot of ideas without the album ever dragging. I'll echo others' positive comments on Igor, too.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I’m listening to Igor now. I’m surprised by it, most of my exposure to Tyler is through Goblin and it’s hard to even hear the same artist across both. Goblin is so much rougher with a hostile tone and focused on attacking haters, compared to the smooth melodic nature of Igor.

In terms of this year’s rap I don’t put it above Grey Area and Psychodrama but maybe eventually.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

The last Andrew Bird album (My Finest Work Yet) is exceptional. The production is very good. Great and beautiful songs. The best Sufjan Stevens album since Chicago. ALL the songs are all little jewels. 9/10
Yann Tiersen - All makes a great comeback to his roots, a mixture of classic Tiersen, sometimes Max Richter. Very sensitive, very handsome. 8/10
The Dandy Warhols - Why you so crazy A band that I have always loved for its ability to create memorable songs... they haven't changed and it's still as good as ever. 8/10
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Romain wrote: The Dandy Warhols - Why you so crazy A band that I have always loved for its ability to create memorable songs... they haven't changed and it's still as good as ever. 8/10
Really ?

I am a huge fan of Dandys Come Down, which is a "Robinson Crusoe" record for me. 13 Tales was exceptional, but a notch under its predecessor. And it went downhill from Monkey House onwards - I all but gave up on them.
Guess I'll give this one a spin and see if I agree !
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

spiritualized wrote:
Romain wrote: The Dandy Warhols - Why you so crazy A band that I have always loved for its ability to create memorable songs... they haven't changed and it's still as good as ever. 8/10
Really ?

I am a huge fan of Dandys Come Down, which is a "Robinson Crusoe" record for me. 13 Tales was exceptional, but a notch under its predecessor. And it went downhill from Monkey House onwards - I all but gave up on them.
Guess I'll give this one a spin and see if I agree !
Après, si tu n'as pas aimé plus que cela les albums qui ont suivi les trois premiers, celui-ci ne changera pas ton avis. Moi, j'ai continué à les apprécier tout du long et leur dernier m'a, en effet, particulièrement plu.
Et puis, ce genre de groupe qui sait encore trousser une bonne et belle chanson, de façon simple, il y en a de moins en moins, donc ça m'a fait particulièrement plaisir de l'écouter. Jette-y une oreille :-)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

New single from Sleater-Kinney. Full album coming later this year.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Listyguy wrote:New single from Sleater-Kinney. Full album coming later this year.
I need to check their concert schedule.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Tickets go on sale in two weeks. Maybe I’ll be late to work that day. :)

Have S-K just decided they are content releasing one album every nine years?
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Skepta's Ignorance is Bliss was released today, a follow-up to 2015's Konnichiwa. At first listen it's a step up from that album and the best rap album of 2019 to date, holding off tough competition from fellow Brits Dave and Little Simz. The beats on here are so diverse, nuanced, and interesting, and the songs are so fully realized that virtually every track sounds like it could be a single. Between this album and a few excellent feature appearances for other artists, Skepta is at the top of his game this year.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”