Hadestown July 5

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Hadestown July 5

Post by whuntva »

I have tickets to the show for July 5. I look forward to seeing it and I will tell you my thoughts once I see it. I love the album and would love to see it performed.

For those who would like to see it, or maybe you already HAVE seen it, I am sure it will be a good time.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Hadestown July 5

Post by Jirin »

whuntva wrote:I have tickets to the show for July 5. I look forward to seeing it and I will tell you my thoughts once I see it. I love the album and would love to see it performed.

For those who would like to see it, or maybe you already HAVE seen it, I am sure it will be a good time.
I didn't know it was still touring, I should check the schedule.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Jirin wrote:
whuntva wrote:I have tickets to the show for July 5. I look forward to seeing it and I will tell you my thoughts once I see it. I love the album and would love to see it performed.

I didn't know it was still touring, I should check the schedule.
I'm pretty sure Whuntva is talking about the Broadway production. It's not touring right now. The musical is up for 14 Tony Awards on June 9.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I meant the production, I thought it was a one-off thing. So it's not moving around to different places, it's running in a fixed Broadway location?
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Jirin wrote:I meant the production, I thought it was a one-off thing. So it's not moving around to different places, it's running in a fixed Broadway location?
As far as I know, it is a set location. The Walter Kerr Theater in New York to be precise.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Hadestown cleaned up at the Tony awards this weekend. Awesome to see a work that started out as an obscure AMF favorite album getting mainstream recognition!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I saw the play yesterday and it was spectacular! They added new songs to fill the extra hour of runtime, but the new additions worked well. Since the Album had some missing pieces from the myth, the narrator of Hermes and some of the dialogue was great. While listening to the album, I always felt the story and soundtrack was best suited for a visual medium, but it surprised me to realize Anais Mitchell at first had no plans for theater. Though the staging was able to bridge the gaps between songs and make the storytelling more coherent. So much of the action was at a revolving platform at the center of the stage, with the wheel turning representing time. I kept watching to see if they tripped, but I was thankful they knew the exact choreography not to mess up.

Though I knew most of the songs, the performances matched or perhaps exceeded those on the album. With "Why We Build the Wall" at the Act I finale bringing down the house. This was about what I visualized the album to be when I first heard it back in the day, and was glad this team did it justice. I sat next to a girl who went in cold, not even knowing the myth of Orpheus, and she was in tears at the end. She said "I didn't know it would end that way!" And hearing her say that showcased the power the story still has for me.

Rachel Chavkin's direction was what sold the show for me. Making great use of lighting and darkness, the turntable at the center, and emphasis on the depression elements of the piece took my breath away. As a Broadway play, the acting was solid. While de Shields was the Tony winner, deservedly so, I felt Patrick Page's Hades deserved to be in the discussion as well. His gravelly bass matched Gregg Brown's performance almost exactly, and his character presence and body acting were something to behold.

Overall, this was a great adaptation of a forum favorite and well worth going to see live if you can afford it. And I await the possibility of Hadestown: The Movie. Or perhaps an OBC album to fill the gaps left by both the original album and the Off-Broadway live recording.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I feel happy that the show was great and you had a good time, whuntva.

Hello critics! You will listen to ”Hadestown” before making your end of decade album list, right??? And while you’re at it, why not consider ”Why We Build the Wall” for the songs list? Pop and hip hop singles aren’t everything.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”