Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.10

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.10

Post by Brad »

Welcome to the round 1.10 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = June 4th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tlist.cfm?t ... Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019

Match-ups:
1. Joni Mitchell - Hejira vs. Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence
2. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. vs. George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1
3. The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge vs. 4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More!
4. Kimio Eto - Koto Music vs. Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day

Mirror mirror on the wall
Tell me mirror, what is wrong?
Last edited by Brad on Thu May 30, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.10

Post by Jirin »

Hejira 93 - Sounds Of Silence 70
Initials BB 83 - Listen Without Prejudice 81
Bigger, Better, Faster, and More 89 - Script Of The Bridge 87

Need help with both the last two.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

2. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. vs. George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1
3. The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge vs. 4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More!
4. Kimio Eto - Koto Music vs. Kid Kudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

1. Joni Mitchell - Hejira
2. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B.
3. The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
4. Kimio Eto - Koto Music
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

1. Joni Mitchell - Hejira (7/10) vs. Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence (8/10)
2. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. (TBA) vs. George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 (TBA)
3. The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge (9/10) vs. 4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More! (TBA)
4. Kimio Eto - Koto Music (TBA) vs. Kid Kudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day (TBA)
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

SIMON AND GARFUNKEL - SOUNDS OF SILENCE
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Hejira
Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1
Script of the Bridge
Koto Music
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Joni Mitchell - Hejira (1976) vs. 2. Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence (1966)
3. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. (1968) vs. 6. George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 (1990)
5. The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge (1983) vs. 8. 4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More! (1992)
4. Kimio Etó - Koto Music (1959) vs. 7. KiD CuDi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day (2009)

Favourite song from every album:
Coyote | The Sound of Silence | Bonnie and Clyde | Freedom! '90 | Up the Down Escalator | Morphine & Chocolate | Midare | Pursuit of Happiness (Nightmare)

Favourite song of the week: The Sound of Silence
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote:Hejira 93 - Sounds Of Silence 70
Initials BB 83 - Listen Without Prejudice 81
Bigger, Better, Faster, and More 89 - Script Of The Bridge 87

Need help with both the last two.
Do these work?:

Kimio Eto - Koto Music:
Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of the Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yh5tVB ... O4SLcs1_nM

But this is one is also on Spotify around here. The spelling above is wrong, as it is Kid Cudi, so perhaps that's were it went wrong. Here it is:
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

1. Joni Mitchell - Hejira

4. Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

GEORGE MICHAEL - LISTEN WITHOUT PREJUDICE VOL. 1
CupOfDreams
Different Class

Post by CupOfDreams »

Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence
Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B.
The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
Kimio Etó - Koto Music
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

THE CHAMELEONS - SCRIPT OF THE BRIDGE
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

2 | Joni Mitchell | Hejira
5 | Simon and Garfunkel | Sounds of Silence

3 | Serge Gainsbourg | Initials B.B.
4 | George Michael | Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1

1 | The Chameleons | Script of the Bridge
7 | 4 Non Blondes | Bigger, Better, Faster, More!

6 | Kimio Eto | Koto Music
8 | Kid Cudi | Man on the Moon: The End of Day

Favourite song of the week: The Chameleons | Second Skin
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

KID CUDI - MAN ON THE MOON: THE END OF DAY
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I considered nominating Sounds of Silence and did not. I did nominate Hejira, however. I have the same preferences regarding these two albums that I did four months ago.

Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

1. Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds Of Silence
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I feel like that
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1
4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More!
Kimio Eto - Koto Music
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

What kind of a line-up is this? Serge Gainsbourg, George Michael and Kid Cudi in one week? Are you trying to torture me to death? Oh wait. These albums turn out not to be bad. Never mind.

8. 4 Non Blondes – Bigger, Better, Faster, More!
When an artist gets to be known as a one hit wonder I sometimes wonder what other songs they put out. Are they hidden gems, or was that one song just the only time the artist made something good. Lou Reed was known as a one hit wonder for a long time, but only in the mainstream, as he had a significant output outside commercial avenues (he later became a two-hit wonder, when Perfect Day became a belated success in the nineties, over twenty years after the original release). 4 Non Blondes are almost the definition of a one hit wonder (though lead singer Linda Perry wrote a lot of hits for others in the 2000’s). What’s Up? was so ubiquitous that everyone will recognize it. But who can name another song by the group?

Now I can, but hardly so. The album title promises a lot, but this is a lot of forgettable stuff. I think the title What’s Up? and a few more songs… would have been a more correct title. It’s not that much is bad here (though Spaceman is terrible and Dear Mr. President is a particularly weak protest song), but there isn’t an ounce of originality here. After two funk rock like songs that admittedly rock, but are also a cliché, we get What’s Up? That song has gotten a lot of flack and is hated by as much people as it is beloved, but I kinda like it. It’s memorable and such outspoken feminism wasn’t all too common at the time. But after that it is really diminishing returns. Even the unremarkable qualities of the two first songs is lost. The lyrics are pretty bad all around and the music seems to be less inspired with each new song. This one really deserved it’s one hit and I’m glad none of the other songs became radio staples.

7. Serge Gainsbourg – Initials B.B.
Sorry to the French here, but the feeling this album gives me is the same as when watching a French comedy: I can suppress the feeling that the actors (or Gainsbourg in this case) is wanting to wink at me at each joke/ song. Gainsbourg may have a very naughty wink, but I guess it isn’t my humor, regardless of me not understanding the language. The first side of this album sounds cheeky, and I’m not even talking about the lyrics. It’s playful, but also a bit annoying. I like the second half much more, starting from Ford Mustang, with Bonnie and Clyde as the highlight. It feels like songs are played more straight, again without regard for lyrical content on my part. I guess it is an okay album in the end, but not my taste.

6. George Michael – Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1
My distaste for George Michael’s Faith (the album) has been stated somewhere else on the forum, so I wasn’t completely able to listen to this without prejudice, but prejudices were put aside when I found out the album isn’t bad at all. There are things about George Michael that will never be quite my thing. He is unable to keep things small and subtle. Even his quiet ballads are sung in a way that makes it clear Michael wants you to think it is big. There is no rawness or spontaneity or playfulness here. These things are not George Michael. He is slick, a bit larger than life and a man of broad strokes. He is a real man of the eighties, in short.

Luckily, he used these elements in a way that for the most part work for me too. Freedom! ’90 has as much realistic political value as putting a poster with the words “Freedom” on your window, but the song plays very well and has a liberating feel. The Stevie Wonder cover is quite affecting. Sure, it has an almost sanctimonious feeling, but it seems sincere. Waiting for That Day gets by on that way too. It’s not that I love everything here. Sometimes the schmaltz gets a little much, especially on the big Cowboys & Angels, but all in all this is a surprisingly likeable album.

5. Kid Cudi – Man On the Moon: The End of Day
I remember that Kid Cudi’s Speedin’ Bullet 2 Heaven was part that year of the Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2015 poll. No offence to the nominator, but that one has always staid with me as one of the worst albums I listened to from start to finish (all 90 minutes of it), so forgive me for not jumping for joy when seeing another Kid Cudi album appear.
This is something else, though, and a bit of strange beast. None of the songs are particularly weird, but the way this album is made up is unconventional. It feels like two separate albums packed as one. The first half is something of a slow burner, with a very dreamy soul-like production and Kid Cudi mostly talking instead of rapping. I liked the opening track, but otherwise this first half fell a little flat for me. It never gets really beautiful, moving or exciting. Just some well-produced tracks that ultimately don’t get to me.

Then the second half comes on. I count Enter Galactic (Love Connection Part 1) as it’s starting point. That title promises something and it delivers. It feels like waking up and finding that a party is suddenly happening. So the second half is suddenly bright, catchy, mostly upbeat and full of life. Although Kid Cudi’s own voice is sometimes a weak link I did like this half quite a bit. I think there is a concept behind this album I have not delved into and maybe it will all make sense, but as is it is quite a curious experience and not an unwelcome one, despite its flaws.

4. The Chameleons – Script of the Bridge
A very New Order like sound. In other words, poppy and danceable, but also moody and dark, mostly thanks to the sound of the guitar and bass, which sound like they have been recorded in a large but damp empty room. The lyrics have a tendency towards gloominess too. It is also a rare album that seems to get better with each new track, though it might just be me more easing into the sound. Anyway, there are some good songs here, but this is a rare album that after two listens I don’t quite know how it is going to grow with me. I like it, but how much the future will learn. Anyway, it is clearly better than it’s competitor.

3. Simon & Garfunkel – Sounds of Silence
The Sound of Silence, the song, might be the song I listened to the most. I have no way of checking it, but it is a good guess. Somehow it never grows old or boring; it keeps having the same paradoxical soothing and despairing effect. Of course, it already appeared on the album before this, but the version on The Sound of Silence is the one most heard, with electric guitar mixed in, without approval of Simon or Garfunkel. I love both versions.

The album itself, though, is not really my go-to Simon & Garfunkel LP. The three they did after this one are all masterpieces, but this one is more uneven (though a big step up from their debut). Most songs are strong, with standout pieces besides the sorta title track in I am a Rock (a go-to song for when feeling antisocial), the elegiac The Leaves That Are Green and the two-punch Richard Cory and A Most Peculiar Man, that together for some reason form a suicide duo. A honorable mention goes to a bonus track – Blues Run the Game, a beautiful Jackson C. Frank cover. The albums by Simon & Garfunkel (as well as Simon’s solo ones) usually come with bonus tracks on CD and they are usually pointless demos, but this one actually got good ones.

Sadly, there is some weak material too. Blessed is one of those tuneless things that ruined much of the debut album. It is also clumsily worded. Other songs aren’t so much bad as just a little forgettable. There is enough strong material here to return to it every now and then, but does it really deserves to rank so high at AM? I don’t think so.

2. Kimio Eto – Koto Music
Koto Music is what we are promised and that what we get. It can be so simple some times. But it doesn’t sounds simple for Kimio Eto. I already loved Midare when it appeared recently on the Unacclaimed Poll and it turns out the whole album is of this quality. I have a hard time talking about stuff like this, but let me just state the feeling of pure magic in how Eto can make this one instrument sound like a whole orchestra. It has atmosphere, a sense of deep feeling and inspires awe. It is not classical music, but at times feels like it. Wonderous discovery, that almost overtook one of my all time favorite albums here.

1. Joni Mitchell – Hejira
In a career with many great albums, Hejira has recently overtaken The Hissing of Summer Lawns as my favorite Joni Mitchell album. I feel that the two are of a piece, but that Hejira still took things further, with Joni Mitchell arriving at singer/sonwriter, jazz and folk hybrid that is still only completely hers. When Mitchell’s influence is mentioned it is usually about her lyrics (who deserve all the praise they can get, mind you), but few singer/ songwriters challenged the form of the genre so much, with only Joana Newsom going further. Hejira is one of those albums were every part that makes up a song finds its peak form: lyrics, instrumentals, structure and vocals. And none of these are usual.

Let me illustrate this with my favorite song on the album: Song for Sharon. This one is rarely mentioned when talking about Joni Mitchell or even this particular album, but that is a shame. With a length of over 8 minutes it is a long song, but it allows Mitchell’s lyrics to roam. On the one hand it is one of her usual meditations of love and marriage – and her increasing frustration with figuring out what the hell she needs it for. What makes the writing better than a simple reflection of the themes is how particular she describes the surroundings. There is a cold New York atmosphere and her “story” is peopled by strangers, friends and family. Mitchell transports me not just in her mind, but also to a specific time and place that feels real. There is also room for bitter witticisms: “There's a gypsy down on Bleecker Street / I went in to see her as a kind of joke / And she lit a candle for my love luck / And eighteen bucks went up in smoke”.

Musically we have of course the guitar by Mitchell, but it is the bass by Max Bennett that stands out, giving the song an atmospheric drive on which it can free roam. I just like the sound of it very much, which helps given the length. It wouldn’t get boring if it was twice the length I think. There is also the backing vocals (by Mitchell herself) which punctuate the most lines, almost to make the free roaming of the main vocals seem structured. That is an approach to jazz that is purely vocal, although far removed from traditional vocal jazz.

During the whole album Joni Mitchell finds new ways to let her music and her voice punctuate her stories. I don’t think she ever came closer than here; sorry Blue.

A simple overview of my votes:

Last edited by Rob on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

2. Hejira > 5. Sounds of Silence
3. Initials B.B. > 6. Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1
1. Script of the Bridge > 8. Bigger, Better, Faster, More!
4. Koto Music > 7. Man on the Moon: The End of Day

Two post-punk albums I'd never heard in two weeks? Fantastic. It's not even Christmas.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence
2. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B.
3. The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
4. Kimio Eto - Koto Music

I have doubt only for the last match. All other are easy choices.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B.
The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
Kimio Eto - Koto Music

Favorite album I couldn't vote for: Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day

I had the same reaction as Rob to "Speedin' Bullet," only a large reason why was that I heard "Man on the Moon" first and thought it was a creative, unique album. As it stands, "Speedin'" is my second lowest rated album of the 3,200 I have in my spreadsheet (and that's without taking the Beavis & Butthead interludes into consideration). As someone who typically loves experimental music, it stands alongside "Metal Machine Music" in my personal file of experimental albums gone horribly wrong.

But enough negativity - this was a really good week, especially The Chameleons and Kimio, which are particularly great.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Less than 15 hours left to vote!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

jamieW wrote:As it stands, "Speedin'" is my second lowest rated album of the 3,200 I have in my spreadsheet (and that's without taking the Beavis & Butthead interludes into consideration). As someone who typically loves experimental music, it stands alongside "Metal Machine Music" in my personal file of experimental albums gone horribly wrong.
Quite a coincidence, as I love both Speedin' Bullet and Metal Machine Music :D

I'm guilty of nominating both albums to AM competitions.
I feel like that
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

PlasticRam wrote:
jamieW wrote:As it stands, "Speedin'" is my second lowest rated album of the 3,200 I have in my spreadsheet (and that's without taking the Beavis & Butthead interludes into consideration). As someone who typically loves experimental music, it stands alongside "Metal Machine Music" in my personal file of experimental albums gone horribly wrong.
Quite a coincidence, as I love both Speedin' Bullet and Metal Machine Music :D

I'm guilty of nominating both albums to AM competitions.
Oops, sorry PlasticRam! I think you were the one who suggested Africa Express "In C Mali," which is one of my favorites from this decade, so it is just a coincidence that I mentioned these two. (BTW, "Metal Machine Music" might belong to that aforementioned "file," but it's not the lowest rated album for me. I rated that one as a 4, since there are qualities about it I appreciate.)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

19 total voters this week:
acroamor
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
CupOfDreams
DaveC
FrankLotion
Honorio
jamieW
Jirin
Listyguy
madzong
PlasticRam
Rdwdbob
Rob
Romain
Safetycat
spiritualized
StevieFan13

Winners:
1. Joni Mitchell - Hejira over Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence 10-9
2. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. over George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 11-4
3. The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge over 4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More! 13-3
4. Kimio Eto - Koto Music over Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day 11-4

Round 1.11 up soon!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”