Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Henrik
Site Admin

Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Henrik »

After several months of other priorities, I will now try to make another site update during the summer (only adding 2018 albums and songs) and I will need your help to collect various information.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Henrik »

First request:

When I did the eoy 2018 songs spreadsheet, I was lazy and didn't update the links in the top row of the sheet. However, it shouldn't be too hard to go through the EOY 2018 forum and add the appropriate links to the spreadsheet that is attached here. I have added the link for Village Voice Pazz & Jop as an example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

Are the needed sources confined to the names of sites already in the spreadsheet? As many of the topics in the EOY 2018 forum do not seem to have an associated spot on the spreasheet.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

BobPatience wrote:Are the needed sources confined to the names of sites already in the spreadsheet? As many of the topics in the EOY 2018 forum do not seem to have an associated spot on the spreasheet.
I only need links for the songs lists.
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

All done, except for the HipHopDX and Pretty Much Amazing topics seemed to just contain an album list.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

BobPatience wrote:All done, except for the HipHopDX and Pretty Much Amazing topics seemed to just contain an album list.
That's great! Could you post it as an attachment here?
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

This should work.

Bracketed names are names of the topics that where different from the names in the spreadsheet, but which I perceived to be the same site/magazine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Perfect! Thanks BobPatience!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I'm sure I said this before, but thank you for picking up the slack on the songs spreadsheet last year. I'm happy to take over again this year, and I'll remember to include the links in the spreadsheet.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:I'm sure I said this before, but thank you for picking up the slack on the songs spreadsheet last year. I'm happy to take over again this year, and I'll remember to include the links in the spreadsheet.
No problem, I enjoyed it a lot.

And thanks for offering your help for the 2019 sheet! This year there will also be the decade lists, so the work definitely has to be shared between several people.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Three more spreadsheets to fill in. I have filled in the first row(s) in each spreadsheet, so I hope they are self-explanatory.

If you decide to fill in a spreadsheet, I suggest you let everyone know about it before you start, so that multiple people won't be working on the same task.

Thanks in advance! :greetings-waveyellow:
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

I'll take the Spotify links.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bang Jan wrote:I'll take the Spotify links.
Thanks Bang Jan!
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Bang Jan wrote:I'll take the Spotify links.
And it's done!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I’ll do RYM genres.
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

I'll do various info.

Question: does a group of artists still just count as artist?
Especially with hiphop groups that aren't a lead artist with features, but have (seemingly) multiple lead artists, like:
Casper Magico, Nio Garcia, Darell, Nicky Jam, Bad Bunny & Ozuna - Te Boté (Remix)
Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future & James Blake - King's Dead
Lil Baby x Gunna - Drip Too Hard

And how to handle Country/State with multiple lead artists?

Additionally:
- What to do with bands fronted by both male and female musicians?
- Lotic seems to go as genderless
- What US state do I pick for the formation of boygenius and The Voidz?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

BobPatience wrote:I'll do various info.

Question: does a group of artists still just count as artist?
Especially with hiphop groups that aren't a lead artist with features, but have (seemingly) multiple lead artists, like:
Casper Magico, Nio Garcia, Darell, Nicky Jam, Bad Bunny & Ozuna - Te Boté (Remix)
Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future & James Blake - King's Dead
Lil Baby x Gunna - Drip Too Hard

And how to handle Country/State with multiple lead artists?

Additionally:
- What to do with bands fronted by both male and female musicians?
- Lotic seems to go as genderless
- What US state do I pick for the formation of boygenius and The Voidz?
Sorry for leaving all those relevant questions to you...

First, I don't need info about featured artists. For artists with a main AM entry, I already have the info. Artists who don't have any AM albums/songs in their own name don't get an AM page.
Casper Magico, Nio Garcia, Darell, Nicky Jam, Bad Bunny & Ozuna - Te Boté (Remix). Take Nicky Jam as the "lead artist", since he is the only one who has another AM song as a lead artist.
Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future & James Blake - King's Dead. I'm looking for Jay Rock here.
Lil Baby x Gunna - Drip Too Hard. None of these artists have another AM entry. In these cases I have usually treated the collaboration as a band. Questionable, but that's how it has been done... Same thing with Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey.
What to do with bands fronted by both male and female musicians? Count as female if it's at least 50% female vocals.
Lotic seems to go as genderless. The first article I stumbled on used "he", so let's go with that, even if that's not the artist's own choice. This is a dummy variable... :(
What US state do I pick for the formation of boygenius and The Voidz? New York seems appropriate for The Voidz. Leave blank for boygenius if there isn't any other good option.
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

Henrik wrote: Sorry for leaving all those relevant questions to you...

First, I don't need info about featured artists. For artists with a main AM entry, I already have the info. Artists who don't have any AM albums/songs in their own name don't get an AM page.
Casper Magico, Nio Garcia, Darell, Nicky Jam, Bad Bunny & Ozuna - Te Boté (Remix). Take Nicky Jam as the "lead artist", since he is the only one who has another AM song as a lead artist.
Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future & James Blake - King's Dead. I'm looking for Jay Rock here.
Lil Baby x Gunna - Drip Too Hard. None of these artists have another AM entry. In these cases I have usually treated the collaboration as a band. Questionable, but that's how it has been done... Same thing with Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey.
What to do with bands fronted by both male and female musicians? Count as female if it's at least 50% female vocals.
Lotic seems to go as genderless. The first article I stumbled on used "he", so let's go with that, even if that's not the artist's own choice. This is a dummy variable... :(
What US state do I pick for the formation of boygenius and The Voidz? New York seems appropriate for The Voidz. Leave blank for boygenius if there isn't any other good option.
Found on Lotic's FB page: i have made it clear on multiple occasions that i do not identify as male. my pronouns are they/them/their or she/her. So I'll add them as female.

Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey is multi-national (German and three Americans). Do I just count them as American then?

These are the rest of (hiphop) groups with no feature:
Kids See Ghosts (Kanye West and Kid Cudi, they both have an AM page already).

The Carters (Beyoncé and Jay-Z both an AM page too)

Nicky Jam feat. J Balvin. This seems to actually be credited as 'Nicky Jam x J. Balvin - X', indicating no features, but I'll add it with Nicky Jam as lead considering the 'Te Boté' case.

Artist name errors (I've not changed them in the spreadsheet):
'Fatouma Tadiawara' should be 'Fatoumata Diawara'
'Nicky Jam feat. J Balvin' should be 'Nicky Jam x J. Balvin'

I think these groups are (partly) fronted by women, but I don't know enough about them to be sure:
Bodega
Rolo Tomassi
Sunflower Bean
The Beths
The Carters

Here's the spreadsheet that I have so far. Anything mentioned up here is marked with a '*'
I'm happy to hear if something seems wrong, so I can either fix it or tell why I think it is right.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks BobPatience for your detailed work! I’ll let you know if I make/suggest any changes.

Should Kids See Ghosts’ AM entries show up on Kanye West’s and Kid Cudi’s pages? I thought KSG should be treated as a band duo, like Run the Jewels, with no entries on the separate members’ pages.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Henrik wrote: Should Kids See Ghosts’ AM entries show up on Kanye West’s and Kid Cudi’s pages? I thought KSG should be treated as a band duo, like Run the Jewels, with no entries on the separate members’ pages.
I think it is really presented as a group work, like indeed Run the Jewels, and should follow suit.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:
BobPatience wrote: Casper Magico, Nio Garcia, Darell, Nicky Jam, Bad Bunny & Ozuna - Te Boté (Remix). Take Nicky Jam as the "lead artist", since he is the only one who has another AM song as a lead artist.
Actually the main artist here are Casper Magico, Nio Garcia, Darell (in my opinion, they need to be considered as a band). They released the first version of "Te boté" on 2017

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Bot%C3%A9

Months later, they release the remix with Nicky Jam, Bad Bunny & Ozuna (which all they are really famous in the reggaeton world) but Nicky Jam is not the main artist.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

BobPatience wrote:
Henrik wrote: Sorry for leaving all those relevant questions to you...

Nicky Jam feat. J Balvin. This seems to actually be credited as 'Nicky Jam x J. Balvin - X', indicating no features, but I'll add it with Nicky Jam as lead considering the 'Te Boté' case.
In the case of the Nicky Jam and J Balvin song they released it as both main artists but the song was released with Sony (Nicky Jam label) and on the Nicky Jam's YouTube Channel, so considering Nicky as the main artist is accurate in this case.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I’ve been doing some more list-scouting as of late soicsn post some of those. I also could dig through some of the lists that have been posted lately to make sure they do t get forgotten in the shuffle.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

StevieFan13 wrote:I’ve been doing some more list-scouting as of late soicsn post some of those. I also could dig through some of the lists that have been posted lately to make sure they do t get forgotten in the shuffle.
Of course that’s always appreciated, although I’m not able to promise when they will be added to AM...
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I’ve been doing some more list-scouting as of late soicsn post some of those. I also could dig through some of the lists that have been posted lately to make sure they do t get forgotten in the shuffle.
Of course that’s always appreciated, although I’m not able to promise when they will be added to AM...
No need to promise anything! Just doesn’t hurt to have them in the running. I’ll just try not to overwhelm you like last time.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

All done!
lagire
Keep On Movin'

Post by lagire »

Henrik wrote:After several months of other priorities, I will now try to make another site update during the summer (only adding 2018 albums and songs) and I will need your help to collect various information.
Henrik, i think you should after that, make a state of play of Albums/Songs lists which are not included on AM.
It seems a lot of bit confused for me, and i think you're gonna loose some.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks for all the help, everyone!!!

One thing that I didn't ask for was how the names should be listed in the alphabetic list. For example, "Jay Rock" or "Rock, Jay"? I usually look up the RYM profiles when I'm uncertain. In this particular case, the RYM profile says that Jay is the first name and Rock is the last name. But I feel hesitant to use "Rock, Jay". His real name is Johnny Reed McKinzie, Jr.
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/profil ... _id=193173

Anyone who knows a better source for this?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Pseudonyms can still work with classic first and last names. I guess Jay Rock isn't a more unlikely artist name than, say, Iggy Pop and with him we count 'Pop' as a last name without question.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Rob wrote:Pseudonyms can still work with classic first and last names. I guess Jay Rock isn't a more unlikely artist name than, say, Iggy Pop and with him we count 'Pop' as a last name without question.
OK, I'll go with that.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

:angry-banghead:

Me right now before the update
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I just want to bring this up again in case it got lost in the shuffle before: I don't expect to occur this very update, but I firmly believe that the "1000 Songs to Change Your Life" book should be removed from AM (or, at least, severely cut down). My reasoning is (somewhat poorly) explained here: http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... 314#p99973
P.L.M.
Debut

Post by P.L.M. »

Hello!
My english is far from being perfect and I can't help you with this, but I need to thank you all for your work and dedication. You are marvelous, men!
Kind regards,
Pablo.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

How close do you think we are to the update at this stage?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bang Jan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:57 pm How close do you think we are to the update at this stage?
I have been wondering when this question would come. But it’s really more a question about how much time I have to do whatever is left. I prioritize kids, relations and exercise (and rest) this year, and right now my life is rather full with these things. Also, I have just been promoted to acting manager for a three months period at work. So I’m sorry, but I really can’t say right now.
keater
Are You Experienced?

Post by keater »

I'm willing.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

MBDTF vs TPAB :angry-banghead:
manginoja
Superunknown

Post by manginoja »

I don’t know how much more us as community members can do, but I’d also be happy to help with anything else that needs to be done! :)
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Janelle will end up with 2 top 50 albums of the decade (ArchAndroid & Dirty Computer)
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

When’s the update happening?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

mowino wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:11 am When’s the update happening?
If only there was, speaking purely hypothetically, a post from Henrik just a few posts above this one where he explicitly says that because of all his real-life responsibilities he simply cannot say with any certainty when the next site update is going to be. If such a purely hypothetical post actually existed, it might prevent people from posting questions like this.

Apologies for the sarcasm, but, really. It's. Right. Up. There.

The update will come when it comes. Frankly, we should all feel lucky that Henrik has kept the site going this long.
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

Henrik wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:45 am
Bang Jan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:57 pm How close do you think we are to the update at this stage?
I have been wondering when this question would come. But it’s really more a question about how much time I have to do whatever is left. I prioritize kids, relations and exercise (and rest) this year, and right now my life is rather full with these things. Also, I have just been promoted to acting manager for a three months period at work. So I’m sorry, but I really can’t say right now.
Hey, sorry for the off-topic.
I sent you a PM ,
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

You should let people help you IMO, it's a lot of work and surely there are people who can help you. It's understandable that you can't do it for now
It's almost 2020 and no updates yet. If it continues to accumulate, it's going to be heavier the update I suppose
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

I don't know why so many members want an update in 2019, Since the last update, I don't remember any new all-time critique lists relevant enough to substantially alter both AcclaimedMusic lists.
If I were Henrik I would only think about updates in 2020 after the end of the decade lists were published.

I can only wish
good luck to everyone involved in the update

This week I compared P4k's annual song lists to the decade list in an excel spreadsheet and it was a reasonable job, immagining how hard it must be to update the site.

:angry-screaming:
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Apologies to everyone who have been waiting for an update in 2019. I came fairly close, but during the last couple of months I haven’t had any time at all to complete the work. Now, when the decade lists are coming in, I feel it’s better to wait and do a big update next year.

I will need help with end of decade and end of year spreadsheets. I will create sheet templates when I’m back from the Montpellier meeting :happy-partydance: .
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 am Apologies to everyone who have been waiting for an update in 2019. I came fairly close, but during the last couple of months I haven’t had any time at all to complete the work. Now, when the decade lists are coming in, I feel it’s better to wait and do a big update next year.

I will need help with end of decade and end of year spreadsheets. I will create sheet templates when I’m back from the Montpellier meeting :happy-partydance: .
This seems like the right decision, Henrik - both in terms of the lists, and for you personally. Thank you for letting us know, and as always thanks for just continuing to do this for as long as you have.

I can take on the end-of-year spreadsheet again, although this will probably be the last year I do it and I may not be able to post updates as frequently as I have in the past. I can also get the ball rolling, at least, on the EOD spreadsheet too. Please feel free to send me both spreadsheet templates whenever you create them (I had actually been thinking about using my 2000s EOD spreadsheet as a starting point for the new one).
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 am Apologies to everyone who have been waiting for an update in 2019. I came fairly close, but during the last couple of months I haven’t had any time at all to complete the work. Now, when the decade lists are coming in, I feel it’s better to wait and do a big update next year.

I'm planning to include all albums from the EOY sheets in a massive template for the EOD lists, with a EOY score column that is not used for the EOD sheet ranking, but will be useful for me when deciding what albums that will be added to the site next year. For example an album that is included in two EOD lists will probably be added to the site if it has a decent EOY score as well (i.e. if it was mentioned in a few EOY lists), otherwise not.
(Of course, I' planning the same thing for the songs template sheet.)

I had a look at the EOY sheets and saw that artists in the 2011-2013 albums lists and the 2012 songs list are listed as "Surname, Firstname" and "Band, The". In all other sheets artists are listed as "Firstname Surname" and "The Band". Could I get some help to update the 2011-2013 albums lists and the 2012 songs list to "firstname surname" as well, so that it will be possible to sort by artist in the EOD template I'm planning to make? The updated excel files could be attached to posts in this topic.

http://acclaimedmusic.net/eoy/albums2011.xls
http://acclaimedmusic.net/eoy/albums2012.xls
http://acclaimedmusic.net/eoy/albums2013.xls
http://acclaimedmusic.net/eoy/songs2012.xls
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Harold wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:08 am I can take on the end-of-year spreadsheet again, although this will probably be the last year I do it and I may not be able to post updates as frequently as I have in the past. I can also get the ball rolling, at least, on the EOD spreadsheet too. Please feel free to send me both spreadsheet templates whenever you create them (I had actually been thinking about using my 2000s EOD spreadsheet as a starting point for the new one).
Thanks Harold! It means so much!!! :happy-partydance:
But do really want to do two spreadsheets?
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Henrik wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:55 pm

I had a look at the EOY sheets and saw that artists in the 2011-2013 albums lists and the 2012 songs list are listed as "Surname, Firstname" and "Band, The". In all other sheets artists are listed as "Firstname Surname" and "The Band". Could I get some help to update the 2011-2013 albums lists and the 2012 songs list to "firstname surname" as well, so that it will be possible to sort by artist in the EOD template I'm planning to make? The updated excel files could be attached to posts in this topic.
Leave these to me Henrik, I'll get them done in the next day or two

Thanks for everything!
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Many many thanks TheLastEnemy!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”