The OK Reviewer Project: Best Albums Of 2010

Razorback3200
I'm New Here

The OK Reviewer Project: Best Albums Of 2010

Post by Razorback3200 »

Hello everybody, I'm new here, but your participation in this project would be greatly appreciated. This project was inspired by the book ''All Time Top 1000 Albums'' by Colin Larkin. But instead of doing an All-Time albums list, I'm going to be compiling lists of the best albums of the 2010's, as well as the 2000's, the goal being to make a series of lists detailing the most beloved albums of the 21st century. Lists for every year of the 21st century, as well as lists for the 2000's and 2010's as a whole, and finally a big list combining both decades. The lists will be coming from the users on this forum, as well as users of Sputnikmusic and RateYourMusic. I might add more sites further down the road, but I want to focus on the main three for now.

So this is where you guys come in. If you're interested in participating, post your Top 10 Albums Of 2010, and please include a description for why you included each album, as I want to include a summary of each album in each list. Thank you, and have a nice day!
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Re: The OK Reviewer Project: Best Albums Of 2010

Post by acroamor »

Interested in this project. I'm going to post my list here for now and will edit with the descriptions later!

1. Sharon Van Etten - Epic
2. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
3. Best Coast - Crazy for You
4. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
5. Angel Olsen - Strange Cacti
6. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
7. Janelle Monae - The Archandroid
8. Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
9. Wacka Flocka Flame - Flockaveli
10. Taylor Swift - Speak Now
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Razorback3200 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:09 pm Hello everybody, I'm new here, but your participation in this project would be greatly appreciated. This project was inspired by the book ''All Time Top 1000 Albums'' by Colin Larkin. But instead of doing an All-Time albums list, I'm going to be compiling lists of the best albums of the 2010's, as well as the 2000's, the goal being to make a series of lists detailing the most beloved albums of the 21st century. Lists for every year of the 21st century, as well as lists for the 2000's and 2010's as a whole, and finally a big list combining both decades. The lists will be coming from the users on this forum, as well as users of Sputnikmusic and RateYourMusic. I might add more sites further down the road, but I want to focus on the main three for now.

So this is where you guys come in. If you're interested in participating, post your Top 10 Albums Of 2010, and please include a description for why you included each album, as I want to include a summary of each album in each list. Thank you, and have a nice day!
I'd love to participate, but unfortunately I don't have the time right now. What's the deadline?
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2. The Drums - The Drums
3. Wavves - King Of The Beach
4. Keane - Night Train
5. Erland & The Carnival - Erland & The Carnival
6. Warpaint - The Fool
7. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
8. Alexander Perls - The Hits
9. My Chemical Romance - Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
10. Jimmy Eat World - Invented
Edre the Depeche Head
Razorback3200
I'm New Here

Post by Razorback3200 »

Cold Butterfly wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:11 pm
Razorback3200 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:09 pm Hello everybody, I'm new here, but your participation in this project would be greatly appreciated. This project was inspired by the book ''All Time Top 1000 Albums'' by Colin Larkin. But instead of doing an All-Time albums list, I'm going to be compiling lists of the best albums of the 2010's, as well as the 2000's, the goal being to make a series of lists detailing the most beloved albums of the 21st century. Lists for every year of the 21st century, as well as lists for the 2000's and 2010's as a whole, and finally a big list combining both decades. The lists will be coming from the users on this forum, as well as users of Sputnikmusic and RateYourMusic. I might add more sites further down the road, but I want to focus on the main three for now.

I'd love to participate, but unfortunately I don't have the time right now. What's the deadline?
No deadline yet, I'm just doing this for fun, take as much time as you want
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

acroamor wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:08 pm Interested in this project. I'm going to post my list here for now and will edit with the descriptions later!

1. Sharon Van Etten - Epic
A brief album of seven tracks, but each one carries such an impressive grace and tenderness. She experiments with a variety of sonic stylings, from the stripped-down opener to the country tinge of "Save Yourself" to the immersive soundscapes of "Dsharpg" and "Love More". A masterpiece.
2. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
There's nothing I can say about this album that hasn't already been said, so I'll just mention that it's the first rap album that I ever knew every single word to.
3. Best Coast - Crazy for You
To be young in summer at the beach is a truly magical thing, and all the more impressive that Cosentino and co. have bottled it so well here.
4. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
My favorite LCD Soundsystem album. I've found with them that there's often a large disparity between their best tracks on an album and their worst, which prevents me from loving both Sound of Silver and American Dream as much as I'd like to.
5. Angel Olsen - Strange Cacti
Actually an EP, six quick tracks recorded in a lo-fi style. But the strongest songs on this album ("If It's Alive, It Will", "Some Things Cosmic", and "Creator, Destroyer") stand as some of my favorite tracks of the entire decade, catapulting this record to a high placement.
6. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
I was resistant to this when I first listened to it after release, but it grew on me with time, particularly after listening to Hey Ocean's remarkable cover of "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)".
An amazing concept album that I'm still wrapping myself around to this day.
8. Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
Big Boi's strongest solo outing, and for that matter, the strongest solo outing of any ex-OutKast member (ahem, Andre?). Tracks like "Shine Blockas", "Tangerine", "Shutterbugg", and "General Patton" are nothing but fun.
9. Wacka Flocka Flame - Flockaveli
An album that I got heavily exposed to as an Atlanta resident and in many ways an omen of the trap sound's renaissance over the course of the decade. Flocka hit it first.
10. Taylor Swift - Speak Now
The Taylor Swift album that fully established her as a capital-A artist. Not just cutesy pop-country about boys and trucks, but these were thoughtful, emotional pieces written - completely alone - by a fully-formed adult songwriter. She's had better records, and with better singles, but there's a bevy of strong material here, particularly fan favorites "Dear John" and "Back to December", as well as the infectious single "Mean".
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I will fill in the descriptions for the rest of the top 10 later. These are the ones I have stronger memories for.

1. The National - High Violet
Almost every National album I've heard, I ended up not quite getting it on the first listen and then putting it at or near the top of my list. Their hypnotic disaffectedness and the way their songs build up and stick in your brain just keeps bringing you back.

2. Anais Mitchell - Hadestown
A folk opera that's a retelling of Orpheus where hell is a dystopian laissez faire capitalist state. What else is there to say? Bon Iver plays Orpheus and his begging tone is perfect for the part. Why We Build The Wall could just as easily be about Trumpism, you can almost hear it in his voice and see the crowd's response as video of a Trump rally. Hadestown successfully modernizes an ancient myth in a compelling, relevant way.

3. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
4. Sleigh Bells - Treats
5. Dungen - Skit I Allt
6. Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here?
8. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
9. Shining - Blackjazz
10. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part Two (Return Of The Ankh)
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

acroamor wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:43 pm 6. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
I was resistant to this when I first listened to it after release, but it grew on me with time, particularly after listening to Hey Ocean's remarkable cover of "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)".
Thanks for sharing! I'm a huge Arcade Fire fan, and this is the first great cover I've heard of one of their songs. Beautiful.
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

01 Zeus - Say Us
02 Analog Rebellion - Ancient Electrons
03 Menomena - Mines
04 Erland & The Carnival - Erland & The Carnival
05 Woods - At Echo Lake
06 Electric President - The Violent Blue
07 Smiles And Frowns - The Smiles And Frowns
08 Hudson Bell - Out Of The Clouds
09 Broken Bells - Broken Bells
10 Vampire Weekend - Contra
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

This is possibly my favorite year ever in music. Incredible depth.

1 | Kanye West | My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
My favorite hip-hop album by a mile, and the only one in which I enjoy every song.

2 | Arcade Fire | The Suburbs
Somehow I had never been introduced to Arcade Fire until this album surprisingly won Grammy of the Year. Every song is good, and all of the acclaimed tracks are standouts, especially Sprawl II and the title track. Sprawl II foreshadowed their transition to a more electronic sound, and the album overall does a nice job bridging the gap during their stylistic evolution. This album also contains one of my favorite bonus tracks ever, Culture War.

3 | The National | High Violet
As with MBDTF and The Suburbs, I like every single song. Jirin explained the appeal well. The album really picks up in the middle with Bloodbuzz Ohio, my favorite song by them, and then the Runaway-Conversation 16-England run is one of my favorite stretches on any album, with all three songs in my all-time top 1,000.

4 | Beach House | Teen Dream
This album has a very soothing atmosphere and is full of gorgeous melodies. This is especially the case with Zebra, one of the great songs of the 21st century.

5 | The Black Keys | Brothers
Finally we arrive at an album that has a couple songs outside my top 10,000, but boy is the start of this album outstanding through the first four songs, and the rest is solid. It's still pretty far away, but this album is the most reminiscent of The Rolling Stones to me this century, with a lot of great bluesy rock.

6 | Avenged Sevenfold | Nightmare
Avenged Sevenfold, the least respected band that I love, was my favorite band as a teenager. This was the last album before they started to decline. I attribute the decline mostly to the death of The Rev, possibly my favorite drummer - he died while they were recording the album, and he is featured on much of it. Fiction is a chilling song, the last one The Rev wrote, three days before his death. Synyster Gates is also my favorite guitar soloist, and he shows off in most of the songs, most impressively in Save Me. I also think they have by far the best choruses and melodies out of any metal band (unless Thrice counts as metal). The reason this album isn't higher is that I think the middle is uneven, but there are some huge standouts bookending it.

7 | LCD Soundsystem | This Is Happening
8 | Vampire Weekend | Contra
9 | Laura Marling | I Speak Because I Can
10 | Sufjan Stevens | The Age of Adz
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Last edited by Cold Butterfly on Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

1) Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Perhaps a bit cliche, but not without reason. Kanye reaches top form production, and some of his best songs like "All of the Lights" and "Monster" are in top form here. His chops as a producer bleed all over the album. The mousic video for it isn't half bad either.

2) Gorillaz-Plastic Beach

Gorillaz continued to reinvent themselves after the landmark Demon Days. From the funky styles of "Stylo" to the tripped out "Rhinestone Eyes", the Gorillaz combined abstract storytelling with great music.

3) Cryoshell-[self-titled]

Where metal, pop, and ambient collide. Each track tells a story and each story is a new adventure. A Gothic masterpiece of sound with crisp production from the pride of Denmark.

4) Birds of Tokyo-[self-titled]

Ian Kenny transitions from metal to pop-rock well. "Plans" may well be the song of the decade.

5) Deerhunter-Halcyon Digest

Adds some dream pop and shoegaze into the 2010's. Seems to fit the sound quite well.

6) Arcade Fire-The Suburbs

From underdogs to pop stars. "The Suburbs" combines everything we love about the band in one package.

7) Jimi Hendrix-Valleys of Neptune

Back from the dead, Hendrix's old work still holds up. The title track in particular is still one of the better rock songs this decade.

8) Janelle Monae-The Archandroid

A breakthrough like no other. Janelle needs more love.

9) John Butler Trio-April Uprising

A personal, affectionate album. John Butler fills every track with passion and every note with a beautiful rhythm and melody. This is something I can listen to over and over and never grow tired of.

10) The National-High Violet

This album introduced me to The National. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it grew on me after a few listens. Berninger's gravelly baritone set the mood for the rest of the decade, and I was moved by how well the instrumentals blended with the vocals. Worth the acclaim.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”