Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - The Finals!

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - The Finals!

Post by Brad »

Welcome to the Final Round of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019. This is it!

Vote for your favorite album in this match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = November 19th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tlist.cfm?t ... Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019

Match-ups:
1. Grimes - Art Angels vs. Mitski - Bury Me at Makeout Creek

Going For The One!
Myself
Let's Get It On

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - The Finals!

Post by Myself »

Grimes
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

1 | Grimes | Art Angels
2 | Mitski | Bury Me at Makeout Creek
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

A rather easy choice.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I'm OCD, so Brad, could you add in that Red won MAA2016 11-4? It would mean the world to me.

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=462048
I feel like that
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

1. Grimes - Art Angels

While I feel like there were quite a few albums I would’ve preferred to win this than Art Angels I did for it in every round even up against some stiff competition so I guess I can’t complain.

With that said, I would be happy if Mitski won it all since Makeout Creek seems to be more in spirit with an artist and album that is “moderately acclaimed”.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Art Angels
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Grimes FTW
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Disappointed but not particularly surprised to see that Art Angels has such a strong lead. And I will say it's funny, even though I've done quite poorly on the prediction leaderboard in general, I am now (along with Bang Jan, our inevitable winner) one of only two people who could still get the overall winner correct.

And now, in advance of my EOD list putting it as the #1 overall and in spite of what looks like overwhelming opposition, I must utter like Milhouse five despondent words:
Bury Me at Makeout Creek
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

I nominated Mitski.

I am voting for Grimes.

Thanks!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

PlasticRam wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:01 pm I'm OCD, so Brad, could you add in that Red won MAA2016 11-4? It would mean the world to me.

done, I think
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Brad wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:10 pm
PlasticRam wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:01 pm I'm OCD, so Brad, could you add in that Red won MAA2016 11-4? It would mean the world to me.

done, I think
It was 11-4, not 10-4.

I'm sorry I'm so tiresome.
I feel like that
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

PlasticRam wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:16 am
Brad wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:10 pm

done, I think
It was 11-4, not 10-4.

done. i think.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Brad wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:43 am
PlasticRam wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:16 am
Brad wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:10 pm done, I think
It was 11-4, not 10-4.

done. i think.
Thanks a million!!!
I feel like that
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Both great albums. Impressive that our final two were from two adjacent years in the 2010s after so much variation in the early rounds. My vote has to go to:

ART ANGELS
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Grimes - Art Angels

Grimes would be a great winner. She combines modern electronic sounds and dance beats with artistic ideas and an eccentric style.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

GRIMES - ART ANGELS
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

As with the semi-finals this is an agonising choice. I will vote for the more consistent album: Bury Me at Makeout Creek.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

The final! So, as I did on the previous 4 editions, it's time to include the songs where Brad's quotes come from. Again we have a fantastic collection of quotes and a fantastic collection of songs. If you click on the following links you will find live versions or official clips of the songs to showcase the look of the artists. If you prefer to listen to the original studio versions you have the Spotify playlist.

1.1 Get the Party Started! (Pink | Get the Party Started | 2001)
1.2 Take a bow for the new revolution! (The Who | Won't Get Fooled Again | 1971)
1.3 We're comin' to your town / We'll help you party it down (Grand Funk Railroad | We're an American Band | 1973)
1.4 Which do you choose / A hard or soft option? (Pet Shop Boys | West End Girls | 1984)
1.5 You feel alright when you hear the music ring (Dire Straits | Sultans of Swing | 1978)
1.6 I was dreaming of a steel guitar engagement (The Rolling Stones | Let It Bleed | 1969)
1.7 Voices scream / Nothing's seen / Real's a dream (Aerosmith | Toys in the Attic | 1975)
1.8 Whatever will be, will be (Doris Day | Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera) | 1956)
1.9 Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky (R.E.M. | Fall on Me | 1986)
1.10 Mirror mirror on the wall / Tell me mirror, what is wrong? (De La Soul | Me Myself and I | 1989)
1.11 If you have ghosts, you have everything (Roky Erickson and the Aliens | If You Have Ghosts | 1981)
1.12 Walk thru the fire / Fly thru the smoke (Dr. John | I Walk on Guilded Splinters | 1968)
1.13 Ma-ma-ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa (The Rivingtons | Mama-Oom-Mow-Mow | 1963)
1.14 He not busy being born / Is busy dying (Bob Dylan | It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) | 1965)
1.15 Blow your tuneless trumpet / The choice is yours! (The Mekons | Blow Your Tuneless Trumpet | 1989)
1.16 You got to move, child! (The Rolling Stones | You Gotta Move | 1971)
2.1 Mountains come out of the sky / ...and they stand there! (Yes | Roundabout | 1971)
2.2 Look-Ka Py Py! (The Meters | Look-Ka Py Py | 1969)
2.3 Summer summer summertime / Time to sit back and unwind! (DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince | Summertime | 1991)
2.4 Repair is the dream of the broken thing. / Like a message broadcast on an overpass / all my favorite singers couldn't sing (Silver Jews | We Are Real | 1998)
2.5 Get your motor runnin'! (Steppenwolf | Born to Be Wild | 1968)
2.6 Blowing through the jasmine in my mind (Seals and Crofts | Summer Breeze | 1972)
2.7 Oh I'm sleeping under strange strange skies (The Rolling Stones | Moonlight Mile | 1971)
2.8 Falling on my head like a memory (Eurythmics | Here Comes the Rain Again | 1983)
3.1 Not everybody does it / But everybody should (George Michael | I Want Your Sex | 1987)
3.2 It doesn't matter where you've been / As long as it was deep, yeah (The Cars | Just What I Needed | 1978)
3.3 We've waited so long, waited so long (Eddie Money | Two Tickets to Paradise | 1977)
3.4 It's getting near dawn, / When lights close their tired eyes (Cream | Sunshine of Your Love | 1967)
4.1 I'm in love. What's that song? (The Replacements | Alex Chilton | 1987)
4.2 What do they know about partying / Or anything else? (Black Flag | Six Pack | 1981)
Quarter-Finals It's the music that we choose! (Gorillaz | 19-2000 | 2001)
Semi-Finals Race For The Prize! (The Flaming Lips | Race for the Prize | 1999)
Finals Going For The One! (Yes | Going for the One | 1977)

Hope I got the versions right... And now my vote:

2. Grimes - Art Angels (2015) vs. 1. Mitski - Bury Me at Makeout Creek (2014)

I don't know what to do without you
I don't know where to put my hands
I've been trying to lay my head down
But I'm writing this at 3am

I don't need the world to see
That I've been the best I can be, but
I don't think I could stand to be
Where you don't see me

On sunny days I go out walking
I end up on a tree-lined street
I look up at the gaps of sunlight
I miss you more than anything

I don't need the world to see
That I've been the best I can be, but
Where you don't see me

And autumn comes when you're not yet done
With the summer passing by, but
Where you don't see me

Mitski forever
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Not voting, because I heard Mitski's album for the first time only once a couple days ago, and haven't heard Art Angels in years.

But commenting on Art Angels:
First, it has bothered me that the cover art is so fascinating but the music is rather safe. The cover art seems more appropriate for some death metal or something, but instead it's mostly cutesy, slightly-edgier-than-mainstream pop music.
I've always thought of the trilogy of "Artangels", "Easily" and "Pin" as sorta the musical heart of the album, in terms of where Grimes' ideas are coming from. Those songs are pretty much just kinda Madonna worship, and everything else on the album circles that musical style in an attempt to update dance-pop.
For my feelings on these updating attempts, there are some half-baked ideas in the first third of the album. The last third has better, but sorta still unrewarding, ideas.
My favorite track is, like most people, "RealiTi." I put the demo version at the same level as the album version, I don't prefer one over the other. I also like "Scream", because the Taiwanese rapping is really cool. I like some of the Madonna worship songs, and that's most of my likes. I used to think "Kill v Maim" was awesome, but I don't really care for it all too much anymore.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Honorio wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:51 am
Love it H!... spent way too much time here at work going through the live clips. Excellent finds!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

While voting in the previous round, I had in mind listening to both finalists one last time and having a head-to-head of each track by number. This would have been easier if there had been a change in one of the finalists (VU has 10 songs like Bury Me, Judges 2 & Art Angels both comprise 14 tracks) but Mitski's album re-release had 4 more songs and I've managed to find live versions of the bonus tunes, if not the right versions (at KEXP rather than at WNYU), so I'm going to do it anyway!

In the red corner, please welcome the Weeaboo World Princess Grimes - Art Angels!
In the blue corner, we have the Shooting Star Mitski - Bury Me at Makeout Creek!

Texas Reznikoff Ideal introduction to the album, showing Mitski's elegant but unpolished side before her soaring alt-rock style
Townie Quietly rebellious
First Love/Late Spring Feels wrong for Scream to miss out as Art Angels' most boundary-pushing song but FL/LS exudes songcraft from Mitski's soulful, controlled vocals to the careful instrumental interjections
Flesh without Blood Combination of what sounds like the Amen Break before 2nd chorus and undulating bassline during that chorus seals it
I Don't Smoke Addictive in its despondency
Kill vs. Maim Feeling charitable and giving this one to Grimes for its comparative energy
Drunk Walk Home The most visceral thing on BMaMC, can't help but feel her hopelessness
I Will Authentic plea to love herself with Rebellion (Lies)-like bassline; shame because Easily's "I'm the sweetest damn thing you ever saw" is the most arresting line on Art Angels
Carry Me Out Appealing change in dynamics
Last Words of a Shooting Star All the more poignant for being understated and morbidly comic about death
World Princess II Track skips from one drum pattern to the next, stays light on its toes
Venus Fly Monàe fits in effortlessly into Grimes' world, the juddering bass line also a highlight
Life in the Vivid Dream Jolts to a halt just when it seems like it's going to drop but it's a welcome moment of calm
Last Words of a Shooting Star (Live) Twice on one album isn't too much for Mitski's most touching song

Grimes - Art Angels: 5 v. Mitski - Bury Me at Makeout Creek: 9!

It won't surprise anyone to see me opt for Bury Me at Makeout Creek but Art Angels is getting better for me, I may even like it as much as everyone else one day!
All I got inside is vacancy!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Excellent, mileswide!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Honorio wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:24 am Excellent, mileswide!
You're only saying that because I'm voting the same as you :D
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Of course not! I loved the head-to-head approach!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Honorio wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 pm Of course not! I loved the head-to-head approach!
Aw nice one, cheers, I try my best but I'm an amateur, you have a far greater knowledge of music and flair for writing :mrgreen:

Possible scope for it to be rolled out into a wider game with match-ups like Close to the Edge vs Karma, Safe as Milk vs Kala or Double Nickels on the Dime vs. Chris Brown's Heartbreak on a Full Moon? (ok, maybe not the last one)

If anyone likes the idea, don't worry; if it happens, I will, unlike with a certain other poll I hosted, see the project through and not rely on the work of others (sorry again Honorio). This probably isn't the best place to ask and I can open another thread but any thoughts?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Grimes vs. Mitksi

Though Art Angels has grown on me more and more with each round, it goes up against an album that didn't need to grow. So I vote for:

Bury Me At Make-Out Creek!

As usual I'll post my top 20 discoveries through this game of the year. This only includes albums I had not listened to before. Sometimes I heard of them, but never actually heard them. So if your favorite is missing in these 10, just pretend I already new it.

1. Lou Reed & John Cale - Songs for Drella
2. Flotation Toy Warning - Bluffer's Guide to the Flight Deck
3. Tom Waits - Heartattack and Vine
4. Tokyo Jihen - Kyôiku
5. Kimio Eto - Koto Music
6. Elvis Costello - Get Happy!!
7. Mogwai - Young Team
8. Mano Negra - Puta's Fever
9. Loscil - Submers
10. Tom Waits - Closing Time
11. Micachu - Jewellery
12. Gavin Bryars - Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet
13. The The - Soul Mining
14. The Velvet Underground - VU
15. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
16. Ravi Shankar - Shankar Family and Friends
17. Hedningarna - Hippjokk
18. Buffy Sainte-Marie - It's My Way
19. Mahmoud Ahmed - Era Mela Mela
20. Anne Clark - Changing Places

All of these, and a few others are great and made this game worthwhile, regardless of whether they made it past the first round. Whoever nominated any of these, thanks!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

14 hours left to get your votes in!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

With just under an hour left in this year's tournament, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you all for participating this year. We had more nomination lists than ever in 2019 (our 10th year of this tournament!), and week-to-week participation has been consistent and higher than we've seen in recent years. With that in mind, I have no intention on stopping now...

Assuming you'll have me as host again, I will be soliciting for 2020 nominations in early January, leaving over a month for you to make submissions before kicking off the next tournament in March. So while we're going on hiatus, feel free to start mentally preparing your most excellent "under-acclaimed" album lists once again and we'll continue the fun.

I feel like I say this every year, and yet never enough: I truly do appreciate the colorful commentary many of you provide week-to-week. So many of you are so good at presenting your thoughts in such a clear & concise manner - I may not always agree, but I always enjoy the discussion. I only wish I had the writing talent you guys have.

Thanks you again... up next, our new Champion will be crowned!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

"Townie" is probably my favorite song from these two albums, but I find Art Angels to be slightly more consistent overall.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Moderately Acclaimed Album X CHAMPION 2019:

Grimes - Art Angels
defeats Mitski - Bury Me At Makeout Creek 11-5

Past Winners:
2010: Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
2011: The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
2012: Fela Kuti and Afrika 70 - Zombie
2013: Jacques Brel - Jacques Brel - Olympia 1964
2014: Jacques Brel - [Ces gens-là]
2015: Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
2016: King Crimson - Red
2017: Saint Etienne - So Tough
2018: Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

Grimes was nominated twice - bonnielaurel was the one who got it into the tournament, as the #1 ranked nomination (Listyguy was the other nominator, but had it listed at #7).

One point of interest to note (as I look over the completed bracket) - Art Angels won by a historic landslide in the first round, beating Sung Tongs 18-0, then just narrowly scraped by Tidal in the next round, with an 11-10 score (you can see here how important each vote is!).

Bury Me At Makeout Creek and VU were both my nominations (both falling to the eventual champion). Jirin got the nomination for Colin Stetson in (though acroamor had it on his list as well)

Once again... thanks! See you soon!
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

That was fun! I voted for Art Angels every week from the start. Great job Brad. Looking forward to the next version.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Oh yes... congrats to Bang Jan for his second consecutive victory in the "Predict-It!" bracket... he picked the champion and blew away the competition with 244 points (I was second, with 172 points, followed by Sweepstakes Ron with 144).
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Thanks for the work, Brad! A worthy winner, regardless of the cover.
I feel like that
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

PlasticRam wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:21 pm Thanks for the work, Brad! A worthy winner, regardless of the cover.
I think I got the score right on the bracket PR!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Assuming I haven't made any errors, here are the extrapolated standings, estimating how well each entry would do against the winner:

1. Grimes - Art Angels (50)
2. Fiona Apple - Tidal (47.6190476190476)
3. David Bowie - Young Americans (43.6507936507936)
4. Bob Dylan - Desire (42.1052631578947)
4. The Velvet Underground - VU (42.1052631578947)
6. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There (41.1764705882353)
7. Pink Floyd - Animals (39.8891966759003)
7. Joni Mitchell - Hejira (39.8891966759003)
9. Tom Waits - Heartattack and Vine (39.6284829721362)
10. Crowded House - Crowded House (38.2775119617225)
11. Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence (37.7897652719055)
12. Echo and the Bunnymen - Crocodiles (37.4269005847953)
13. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (35.2941176470588)
14. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me (33.7595907928389)
15. Blur - 13 (33.3333333333333)
16. Le Tigre - Le Tigre (32.4233042499296)
17. Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking (32.2250639386189)
18. Jackson Browne - Running on Empty (31.5173899661434)
19. Mitski - Bury Me at Makeout Creek (31.25)
20. Lou Reed/John Cale - Songs For Drella (31.0249307479224)
20. Mano Negra - Puta's Fever (31.0249307479224)
22. Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners (30.8221534227726)
23. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music (29.7213622291022)
24. Bee Gees - Bee Gees' 1st (29.4117647058824)
24. Tokyo Jihen - Kyōiku (29.4117647058824)
26. Tom Waits - Closing Time (29.3920396559265)
26. Elvis Costello - Get Happy!! (29.3920396559265)
28. Wire - Chairs Missing (28.9566020313943)
29. Mogwai - Young Team (28.5714285714286)
30. Super Furry Animals - Radiator (28.1570800065178)
31. Colin Stetson - New History Warfare, Vol. 2: Judges (27.7777777777778)
32. Gene Clark - No Other (27.5777162203755)
33. The Replacements - Tim (27.0676691729323)
34. blink-182 - Enema of the State (26.7942583732057)
35. The Smiths - Meat is Murder (26.6666666666667)
36. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. (26.5927977839335)
37. Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy (26.4189886480908)
38. Mahmoud Ahmed - Era Mela Mela (26.3157894736842)
38. Buffy Sainte-Marie - It's My Way (26.3157894736842)
40. Todd Terje - It's Album Time (26.1262574719347)
41. Oval - 94 Diskont (25.7224880382775)
42. Coldplay - Parachutes (25.3829498775774)
43. Au Pairs - Playing With a Different Sex (25.0285155613492)
43. The The - Soul Mining (25.0285155613492)
45. Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas (25)
46. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel... (24.9512670565302)
47. Janet Jackson - janet (24.8649304923208)
48. The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge (24.6913580246914)
49. Pauline Oliveros, Stuart Dempster & Panaiotis - Deep Listening (24.5098039215686)
50. Gavin Bryars - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet (24.2214532871972)
51. Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish (24.1346400055867)
52. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape (24.0601503759399)
53. Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps (23.6842105263158)
54. Roxy Music - Country Life (23.4835454649696)
55. Pet Shop Boys - Concrete (23.3426704014939)
56. Ravi Shankar - Shankar Family and Friends (23.0263157894737)
57. The Milennium - Begin (22.9144289294665)
58. Jesca Hoop - Hunting My Dress (22.6244343891403)
59. The Sound - Jeopardy (22.0588235294118)
60. Screaming Trees - Dust (22.0440297419449)
61. Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain (20.9218698921216)
62. Billy Joel - Piano Man (20.8333333333333)
63. Kadhja Bonet - Childqueen (20.7612456747405)
64. Kino - Kino (The Black Album) (20.3970132944819)
65. Crowded House - Woodface (20.1680672268908)
66. Lou Reed - Street Hassle (20.0228124490794)
67. Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg (20)
68. David Bowie - Lodger (19.6855775803144)
69. Heatmiser - Mic City Sons (19.6078431372549)
70. Buckingham Nicks - Buckingham Nicks (19.3905817174515)
71. Elliott Smith - From a Basement on a Hill (19.2076830732293)
72. St. Vincent - Marry Me (19.2043895747599)
73. Lorde - Pure Heroine (18.9689802149173)
74. U2 - Boy (18.7134502923977)
75. The Olivia Tremor Control - Music from the Unrealized Film Script, Dusk at Cubist Castle (18.4420640978362)
76. Margaret Glaspy - Emotions and Math (18.421052631579)
77. Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun (18.3823529411765)
77. Sky - Sky 2 (18.3823529411765)
79. Kimio Eto - Koto Music (17.8571428571429)
80. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (17.6126590987272)
81. Spinners - Spinners (17.5438596491228)
82. Section 25 - From the Hip (17.5070028011205)
83. Alabama 3 - Exile On Coldharbour Lane (17.4291938997821)
84. Peter Gabriel - Us (17.3010380622837)
85. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (17.2697368421053)
86. Micachu - Jewellery (17.0940170940171)
87. Boo Radleys - Everything's Alright Forever (17.0705685108977)
88. Anne Clark - Changing Places (16.0664174220214)
89. Missy Elliott - Supa Dupa Fly (15.8730158730159)
90. múm - Finally We Are No One (15.6914024190912)
91. The Sound - From the Lions Mouth (15.4320987654321)
92. Neil Diamond - Hot August Night (15.2505446623094)
93. Hedningarna - Hippjokk (14.7058823529412)
94. Etta James - At Last! (14.6453089244851)
95. Global Communication - 76:14 (14.3020088921995)
96. George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 (14.1828254847645)
97. Paul Oakenfold - Goa Mix (14.0350877192982)
98. The Mutton Birds - Salty (14.0056022408964)
99. The Crocketts - The Great Brain Robbery (13.4563629373318)
99. BADBADNOTGOOD - III (13.4563629373318)
101. Youssou N'Dour - The Guide (Wommat) (13.3084908171413)
102. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (13.2963988919668)
103. Rush - Permanent Waves (12.8029263831733)
104. Floatation Toy Warning - Bluffer's Guide To The Flight Deck (12.1932632220698)
105. Ambrose Akinmusire - The Imagined Savior Is Far Easier To Paint (12.0663650075415)
106. Benjamin Britten - War Requiem [London Symphony Orchestra / Benjamin Britten] (11.9612114998505)
107. The xx - I See You (11.9553542240695)
108. C.A. Quintet - Trip Thru Hell (11.6959064327485)
109. Enya - Shepherd Moons (11.6343490304709)
110. Paramore - After Laughter (10.6691053193111)
111. Gemini Eye - The Is of Being (10.4660600623692)
112. Kid Kudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day (9.52380952380952)
113. 4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More! (9.25925925925926)
114. Charly Bliss - Guppy (8.81834215167548)
115. Laurie Spiegel - The Expanding Universe (8.23045267489712)
116. Prince - "Love Symbol Album" (8.09716599190283)
117. Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss (7.71604938271605)
118. Clint Boon Experience - The Compact Guide To Pop Music and Space Travel (7.54147812971343)
119. Gong-Flying Teapot - Radio Gnome Invisible (6.82822740435909)
120. Sting - ...Nothing Like the Sun (6.54697969413329)
121. Rei Kondoh/Masami Ueda/Hiroshi Yamaguchi - Okami Original Soundtrack (6.03318250377074)
122. The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Welcome to the Infant Freebase (5.51146384479718)
123. Popcaan - Where We Come From (3.68037276918477)
124. Tim Minchin - Ready for This? (3.54893088457102)
125. Neil Cicierega - Mouth Moods (3.52733686067019)
126. Loscil - Submers (3.46020761245675)
127. Beyoncé - 4 (2.71333604666938)
128. Animal Collective - Sung Tongs (0)
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Damn what a bad final
Edre the Depeche Head
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Will we get a full list of nominated albums?
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

This competition opened my ears to so many awesome albums and that's got to mean more than the result, so cheers to Brad and everyone who nominated!
Brad wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 pm I only wish I had the writing talent you guys have.
You do yourself a disservice, I had to chuckle at the entry you wrote for Red Tape on Biggest Fan, I'd be all up for seeing more of your comments!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Thanks for another great year of this, Brad!
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Thanks again Brad for all this! This tournament was the reason I joined this forum last year and it’s still a lot of fun.

Also thanks to everyone for your great recommendations, some of these have become new favorites for me!
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Thank you again Brad, looking forward to the next edition.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Edre Peraza wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:40 pm Damn what a bad final
Idk, both Art Angels and Bury Me are masterpieces imo.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks, Brad! For the first time in AM history one of my nominations has won a tournament. Of course I knew the album is well regarded, but I didn't expect it to win. There were a lot of interesting discoveries too.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Just checked the end-of-decade albums spreadsheet and shocked to find that not a single critic has listed Bury Me at Makeout Creek.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Submission lists:

acroamor1: Micachu - Jewellery
acroamor2: Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
acroamor3: The Olivia Tremor Control - Music from the Unrealized Film Script, Dusk at Cubist Castle
acroamor4: Colin Stetson - New History Warfare, Vol. 2: Judges
acroamor5: Margaret Glaspy - Emotions and Math
acroamor6: Buckingham Nicks - Buckingham Nicks
acroamor7: Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
acroamor8: Save Ferris - It Means Everything
acroamor9: Van Morrison - Common One
acroamor10: Elliott Smith - Roman Candle

Akhenaten1: Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
Akhenaten2: Alabama 3 - Exile On Coldharbour Lane
Akhenaten3: Pet Shop Boys - Concrete
Akhenaten4: David Bowie - Lodger
Akhenaten5: Clint Boon Experience - The Compact Guide To Pop Music and Space Travel
Akhenaten6: Mercury Rev - All Is Dream
Akhenaten7: Little Boots - Hands
Akhenaten8: U2 - Zooropa
Akhenaten9: Thea Gilmore - The Counterweight
Akhenaten10: Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine - A World Without Dave

andy10101: Fiona Apple - Tidal
andy10102: Coldplay - Parachutes
andy10103: Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
andy10104: blink-182 - Enema of the State
andy10105: Elvis Costello - Get Happy!!
andy10106: Spoon - They Want My Soul
andy10107: Weezer - Weezer ["The Green Album"]
andy10108: Thrice - Beggars
andy10109: Beach House - Bloom
andy101010: The National - Sleep Well Beast

Bang Jan1: Super Furry Animals - Radiator
Bang Jan2: Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking
Bang Jan3: Rush - Permanent Waves
Bang Jan4: The Sound - From the Lions Mouth
Bang Jan5: Benjamin Britten - War Requiem [London Symphony Orchestra / Benjamin Britten]

BleuPanda1: Mogwai - Young Team
BleuPanda2: The The - Soul Mining
BleuPanda3: Le Tigre - Le Tigre
BleuPanda4: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
BleuPanda5: Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's
BleuPanda6: Hot Chip - In Our Heads
BleuPanda7: Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
BleuPanda8: Low - I Could Live in Hope
BleuPanda9: IDLES - Brutalism
BleuPanda10: The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland

bonnielaurel1: Grimes - Art Angels
bonnielaurel2: Sting - ...Nothing Like the Sun
bonnielaurel3: Janet Jackson - janet
bonnielaurel4: George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1
bonnielaurel5: Beyoncé - 4
bonnielaurel6: Joan Baez - Joan Baez
bonnielaurel7: Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
bonnielaurel8: Neneh Cherry - Raw Like Sushi
bonnielaurel9: Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook
bonnielaurel10: Astor Piazzolla - Tango: Zero Hour

Brad1: Lou Reed - Street Hassle
Brad2: The Velvet Underground - VU
Brad3: Mitski - Bury Me at Makeout Creek
Brad4: Bee Gees - Bee Gees' 1st
Brad5: Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
Brad6: Angel Olsen - Half Way Home
Brad7: Four Tops - Reach Out

CupOfDreams1: Wire - Chairs Missing
CupOfDreams2: Echo and the Bunnymen - Crocodiles
CupOfDreams3: Boo Radleys - Everything's Alright Forever
CupOfDreams4: Roxy Music - Country Life
CupOfDreams5: Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss
CupOfDreams6: Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
CupOfDreams7: Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
CupOfDreams8: The Legendary Pink Dots - Any Day Now
CupOfDreams9: Tarantella - Esqueletos
CupOfDreams10: Forest Swords - Engravings

DaveC1: Au Pairs - Playing With a Different Sex
DaveC2: The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
DaveC3: Anne Clark - Changing Places
DaveC4: Floatation Toy Warning - Bluffer's Guide To The Flight Deck
DaveC5: Tokyo Jihen - Kyōiku
DaveC6: Low - Drums and Guns
DaveC7: Lhasa - La Llorana
DaveC8: Avishai Cohen Trio - Gently Disturbed
DaveC9: Sharon van Etten - Because I was in Love
DaveC10: АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover]

FrankLotion1: Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
FrankLotion2: Missy Elliott - Supa Dupa Fly
FrankLotion3: Charly Bliss - Guppy
FrankLotion4: Etta James - At Last!
FrankLotion5: Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
FrankLotion6: Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation 1814
FrankLotion7: The Moldy Peaches - The Moldy Peaches
FrankLotion8: Dolly Parton - Coat Of Many Colors
FrankLotion9: Carpenters - Close to You
FrankLotion10: Patti Smith - Gone Again

hectorthebat1: Gavin Bryars - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet
hectorthebat2: Sky - Sky 2
hectorthebat3: Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
hectorthebat4: Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
hectorthebat5: Elliott Smith - From a Basement on a Hill
hectorthebat6: Travis - The Man Who
hectorthebat7: Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have it So Much Better
hectorthebat8: Elton John - Elton John
hectorthebat9: The Beatles - "Yesterday" ...and Today
hectorthebat10: Bob Dylan - New Morning

Honorio1: Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas
Honorio2: The Milennium - Begin
Honorio3: Lou Reed/John Cale - Songs For Drella
Honorio4: Youssou N'Dour - The Guide (Wommat)
Honorio5: The The - Soul Mining
Honorio6: Bob Dylan - Desire
Honorio7: Suede - Coming Up
Honorio8: Damien Rice - O
Honorio9: Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
Honorio10: Madness - One Step Beyond

Jirin1: The Sound - Jeopardy
Jirin2: Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Part 2
Jirin3: Tom Waits - Closing Time
Jirin4: Ambrose Akinmusire - The Imagined Savior Is Far Easier To Paint
Jirin5: Mahmoud Ahmed - Era Mela Mela
Jirin6: Jenny Scheinman - Mischief & Mayhem
Jirin7: Future Bible Heroes - Eternal Youth
Jirin8: Squarepusher x Z Robots - Music For Robots
Jirin9: Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth
Jirin10: Iggy Pop - The Idiot

Kingoftonga1: Kino - Kino (The Black Album)
Kingoftonga2: Peter Gabriel - Us
Kingoftonga3: Section 25 - From the Hip
Kingoftonga4: Paul Oakenfold - Goa Mix
Kingoftonga5: Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis
Kingoftonga6: Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
Kingoftonga7: Cat Power - Sun
Kingoftonga8: John Carpenter - Lost Themes
Kingoftonga9: Miles Davis - On the Corner
Kingoftonga10: Everything But the World - Walking Wounded

Listyguy1: Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Listyguy2: U2 - Boy
Listyguy3: Buffy Sainte-Marie - It's My Way
Listyguy4: Heatmiser - Mic City Sons
Listyguy5: Nic Jones - Penguin Eggs
Listyguy6: Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With the Arab Strap
Listyguy7: Grimes - Art Angels
Listyguy8: Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill
Listyguy9: Queen - The Game
Listyguy10: Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages

luney61: St. Vincent - Marry Me
luney62: Kimio Eto - Koto Music
luney63: Gong-Flying Teapot - Radio Gnome Invisible
luney64: Ravi Shankar - Shankar Family and Friends
luney65: Hedningarna - Hippjokk
luney66: Fripp & Sylvian - The First Day
luney67: Red House Painters - Down Colorful Hill
luney68: Gabor Szabo - Dreams
luney69: Hugo Largo - Drum
luney610: Fugazi - Repeater

madzong1: The Replacements - Tim 
madzong2: Roxy Music - Country Life
madzong3: Hole - Celebrity Skin
madzong4: The Cult - Electric
madzong5: X - Los Angeles 
madzong6: The Jam - In The City
madzong7: The Auteurs - New Wave
madzong8: Lou Reed - The Blue Mask
madzong9: Elton John - Madman Across The Water
madzong10: L7 - Bricks Are Heavy

Nassim1: Laurie Spiegel - The Expanding Universe
Nassim2: Pauline Oliveros, Stuart Dempster & Panaiotis - Deep Listening
Nassim3: Global Communication - 76:14
Nassim4: Loscil - Submers
Nassim5: Oval - 94 Diskont
Nassim6: Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
Nassim7: Gas - Königsforst
Nassim8: Biosphere - Substrata
Nassim9: Motion Sickness of Time Travel - Motion Sickness of Time Travel
Nassim10: Virginia Astley - From Gardens Where We Feel Secure

PlasticRam1: Kid Kudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day
PlasticRam2: 4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More!
PlasticRam3: Popcaan - Where We Come From
PlasticRam4: Enya - Shepherd Moons
PlasticRam5: Billy Joel - Piano Man
PlasticRam6: Burkhard Dallwitz - The Truman Show
PlasticRam7: Ricky Nelson - Ricky Sings Again
PlasticRam8: Malcolm McLaren - Duck Rock
PlasticRam9: Genesis - Invisible Touch
PlasticRam10: Yoko Ono - Fly

Rdwdbob 1: Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
Rdwdbob 2: Neil Diamond - Hot August Night
Rdwdbob 3: My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
Rdwdbob 4: Spinners - Spinners
Rdwdbob 5: Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery
Rdwdbob 6: Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
Rdwdbob 7: Brian Wilson - Brian Wilson
Rdwdbob 8: Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me
Rdwdbob 9: Lindsay Buckingham - Out Of The Cradle
Rdwdbob 10: Spoon - They Want My Soul

Rob1: Gene Clark - No Other
Rob2: Rei Kondoh/Masami Ueda/Hiroshi Yamaguchi - Okami Original Soundtrack
Rob3: Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg
Rob4: C.A. Quintet - Trip Thru Hell
Rob5: Jesca Hoop - Hunting My Dress
Rob6: Coil - Horse Rotorvator
Rob7: Johnny Cash - Orange Blossom Special
Rob8: Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13: Trouble No More 1979
Rob9: Phoebe Bridgers - Stanger in the Alps
Rob10: XTC - English Settlement

Romain1: David Bowie - Young Americans
Romain2: Mano Negra - Puta's Fever
Romain3: Pink Floyd - Animals
Romain4: Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B.
Romain5: Prince - "Love Symbol Album"
Romain6: Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest
Romain7: Damien Rice - My favorite faded fantasy
Romain8: Yann Tiersen - Rue des Cascades
Romain9: Astor Piazzola - Maria De Buenos Aires
Romain10: Glass Animals - Zaba

Safetycat1: Crowded House - Woodface
Safetycat2: Neil Cicierega - Mouth Moods
Safetycat3: Tom Waits - Heartattack and Vine
Safetycat4: The Mutton Birds - Salty
Safetycat5: Hot Chip - In Our Heads
Safetycat6: Split Enz - Time and Tide
Safetycat7: The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Safetycat8: Goldfish - Get Busy Living
Safetycat9: The Blues Brothers - The Blues Brothers
Safetycat10: David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything that Happens Will Happen Today

spiritualized1: Screaming Trees - Dust
spiritualized2: The Crocketts - The Great Brain Robbery
spiritualized3: The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Welcome to the Infant Freebase
spiritualized4: múm - Finally We Are No One
spiritualized5: Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun
spiritualized6: Placebo - Placebo
spiritualized7: Veronica Falls - Veronica Falls

starchman461: Gemini Eye - The Is of Being
starchman462: Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
starchman463: Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence
starchman464: The Smiths - Meat is Murder
starchman465: The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
starchman466: The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come
starchman467: The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
starchman468: Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
starchman469: Love - Four Sail
starchman4610: Suede - Dog Man Star

StevieFan131: Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
StevieFan132: Paramore - After Laughter
StevieFan133: Blur - 13
StevieFan134: Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
StevieFan135: Laura Nyro - Eli and the Thirteenth Confession
StevieFan136: The Waterboys - This is the Sea
StevieFan137: Tim Minchin - Ready for This?
StevieFan138: Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Blood
StevieFan139: The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional
StevieFan1310: Various Artists - Eurovision Song Contest 2018: Official Soundtrack

Sweepstakes Ron1: The xx - I See You
Sweepstakes Ron2: BADBADNOTGOOD - III
Sweepstakes Ron3: Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
Sweepstakes Ron4: Todd Terje - It's Album Time
Sweepstakes Ron5: Massive Attack - Protection
Sweepstakes Ron6: Passion Pit - Gossamer
Sweepstakes Ron7: A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
Sweepstakes Ron8: Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest
Sweepstakes Ron9: Moloko - Statues
Sweepstakes Ron10: Goldfrapp - Supernature
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

When I saw Art Angels appear in the competition I knew it would brush away most of the other albums with extreme ease and would be a candidate for a win. The thing is, I thought there was a candidate more likely to win and in my prediction bracket I predicted Art Angels would fall to Mount Eerie's A Crow Looked at Me. Of course that never happened. The two never met as A Crow already lost in the first round. It's a rookie mistake I keep making: thinking you all will like something as much as I do.

As it stands, Art Angels is a solid winner, even if it is my least favorite of all the albums that won up to now (I have never heard Seventeen Seconds). It is a winner, though, that doesn't feel quite as unacclaimed as most competitors (and winners) in this game. I suspect that after we are done with all the End-of-decade lists it might actually take up a spot on Acclaimed Music that will make it ineligible for this game. That it is a forum favorite has also long been noted. I prefer my winners to be more really hidden gems or underappreciated finds, but there you go.

Still, I came to appreciate the album more as this game progressed. It seemed a bit thin at first (I always preferred Visions), with only a few standout songs, but listening to it over and over has made me see that it is actually quite consistent. Perhaps it is the status as a foundation-shifting, experimental album that it has at some places that put me on the wrong foot and made me approach the album in the wrong way. To me it is now a delightfully off-kilter electropop album, with many songs that are real gems. So, even if it is not my choice winner by some measure in this game, it is still one that can carry the prize on its shoulders with pride.

Thanks again, Brad, for organizing this game. This remains the best poll on this site for broadening horizons and also to share some under-appreciated albums and actually getting people to listen to them. I still feel the game takes up too much of my listening time (I guess half of my album time throughout the whole year) and am still in favor of working with half such a list, but otherwise I still love it and am curious to see what people come up with next.

One last thing: over the years some people here have noted that they sometimes don’t nominate an album because they think it won’t fit the forum’s taste. Please reconsider. More diversity is always a plus and this game could do with some more genres that just aren’t represented that much on this forum, like prog, metal, country and even to some extend hiphop that isn’t Kanye, Kendrick or Outkast. Even if an album doesn’t get far, it doesn’t mean it can’t reach an appreciative audience here.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

mileswide wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:20 pm You do yourself a disservice, I had to chuckle at the entry you wrote for Red Tape on Biggest Fan, I'd be all up for seeing more of your comments!
Thanks man - this really means a lot!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

No worries bud, you fully deserve it! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Brad wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 pm With just under an hour left in this year's tournament, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you all for participating this year. We had more nomination lists than ever in 2019 (our 10th year of this tournament!), and week-to-week participation has been consistent and higher than we've seen in recent years. With that in mind, I have no intention on stopping now...

Assuming you'll have me as host again, I will be soliciting for 2020 nominations in early January, leaving over a month for you to make submissions before kicking off the next tournament in March. So while we're going on hiatus, feel free to start mentally preparing your most excellent "under-acclaimed" album lists once again and we'll continue the fun.

I feel like I say this every year, and yet never enough: I truly do appreciate the colorful commentary many of you provide week-to-week. So many of you are so good at presenting your thoughts in such a clear & concise manner - I may not always agree, but I always enjoy the discussion. I only wish I had the writing talent you guys have.
Thank you very much Brad for another wonderfully hosted edition of the MAA game, tenth edition no less!

Glad to see that participation is increasing after a decade, 27 nominating albums instead the 18 of the ninth edition. The new ones (comparing only with MAA9, not the rest) were acroamor, Akhenaten, bonnielaurel, CupOfDreams, FrankLotion, luney6, madzpng, Nasim, PlasticRam, Rdwdbob, Safetycat and starchman46.
Hope you don't mind but I ranked the nominators according to the "success" of our nominations, one point for every album on Round 2, one point for every album on Round 3, etc. And this year the winner was… Brad, our host! Thanks mainly to two of his nominations getting to semifinals (VU and Mistki). The Top 5 was:
1. Brad (16 points).
2. Jirin (11 points).
3. DaveC (10 points).
4. Honorio (9 points, 11 if I include the votes for "Soul Mining," also nominated by BleuPanda).
5. Romain (9 points).
Oddly last year DaveC and me were #3 and #4 too. The ones falling out of the Top 5 of last year were Rob (last year's winner), BleuPanda and Steviefan13.

About next year I was about to say that I was not going to participate because I wanted to concentrate on the 2010s. But, since maybe the 2010s poll (I mean with the decade poll format) is going to wait until 2023 I don't really know what I'm going to do. We will see…

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”