FKA Twigs - MAGDALENE

Cold Butterfly
Different Class

FKA Twigs - MAGDALENE

Post by Cold Butterfly »

With 5 stars from NME and a 9.4 from Pitchfork, it looks like FKA Twigs' second studio album will place high on many year-end lists. Considering that FKA Twigs is one of this decade's most critically acclaimed artists, I figured I would make this a topic.

On first listen I can say that it's really good. One of my favorites of the year so far, actually. As of this moment though, i don't think it's as innovative as LP1 was. Nevertheless, this is a great album, and one which has generated quite a buzz.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Re: FKA Twigs - MAGDALENE

Post by acroamor »

Listening now and connecting with it substantially more than I did with LP1. Another one of the late 2019 records that publications will be kicking themselves for leaving off end of decade lists. Also, it's very counterintuitive to me that these mags are all dropping best of decade lists before best of year lists.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

acroamor wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:46 pm Listening now and connecting with it substantially more than I did with LP1. Another one of the late 2019 records that publications will be kicking themselves for leaving off end of decade lists. Also, it's very counterintuitive to me that these mags are all dropping best of decade lists before best of year lists.
I love this album. FKA twigs has been the best surprise for me this year, as I used to not understand why she was so acclaimed. I'll have to revisit LP1 now. It makes sense from the standpoint that publishing EOY lists now would exclude 1/6 of the year, versus excluding 1/60th of the decade. It's still silly though, and a shame for great albums like this that will be ridiculously under-ranked.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

This is an instantly great album.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I like it, but I'm craving a more substantive connective tissue on the instrumental side of things. You have an old-school opera track with almost no drums on the opener, jumping to standard trap banger on "holy terrain."
Standout musical moment is the sample of kids chanting on "Fallen Alien."

Also agree that it's not as refreshing as LP1 (or M3LL155X).
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I'm really liking this on first few listens - it's essentially an entire album in the style and tone of the impressive single "Cellophane"
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Not my bag. I liked Melissa or however it is spelled.
I feel like that
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

PlasticRam wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:54 pm Not my bag. I liked Melissa or however it is spelled.
I don't think there's a track called Melissa on this album :mrgreen:
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Cold Butterfly wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:34 pm
PlasticRam wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:54 pm Not my bag. I liked Melissa or however it is spelled.
They’re referring to her M3LL155X EP (apparently it was supposed to be pronounced as Melissa)
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

FrankLotion wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:58 pm
Cold Butterfly wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:34 pm
They’re referring to her M3LL155X EP (apparently it was supposed to be pronounced as Melissa)
Oh yeah, i see he was referring to the EP now

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”