2010s EOD Recommendation Thread

Jackson
Into the Groove

2010s EOD Recommendation Thread

Post by Jackson »

I've devoted almost all of my listening this year to revisiting 2010s music ahead of the coming onslaught of end of decade polls. I'm sure many of you have done the same. Ahead of our forum's own poll, which I presume will kick off towards the end of this year, I wanted to create a thread to share recommendations from what has been a great and deep decade for music.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Re: 2010s EOD Recommendation Thread

Post by Jackson »

Here are a few albums I've discovered or re-discovered this year:

Anaïs Mitchell - Hadestown (2010)
: I finally got around to listening to this cult forum favorite, though it was due to my personal listening project and not the now-popular Broadway adaptation (which I didn't realize was a thing until the Tony nominations were announced). Obviously, this is great. "Why We Build the Wall" should be an American songwriting standard.

araabMUZIK - Electronic Dream (2011): This smooth-flowing electronic album is perfect for late night listening, preferably while driving around the city. It's a standout in a great year for electronic music that also includes strong releases by Andy Stott, Oneohtrix Point Never, Nicolas Jaar, and Rustie.

Jessie Ware - Devotion (2012): This sort of catchy alt-female pop is a style I appreciate much more now than I did when this record came out. "Running" and "Wildest Moments" are absolute bangers.

Ariel Pink - Mature Themes (2012): This one gets forgotten about since it was sandwiched in between his two most popular albums, but this is another strong release for one of the greatest artists of the decade. It's got two of his best, "Baby" and "Only in My Dreams," and some other strong songs like the title track outweighing a couple of his typical filler tracks.

Autre ne Veut - Anxiety (2013): While Autre ne Veut isn't exactly obscure around these parts, I'm convinced they'd be in indie household name with, well, a different name (I've never tried saying it out loud). They have a knack for conjuring up grand choruses unexpectedly - "Play by Play" being the best example.

Jane Weaver - The Silver Globe (2014): I discovered this working backward through her work after 2017's Modern Kosmology, which was my runner-up for AOTY that year. There is a Stereolab-style krautrock sound on this album that I love.

Denzel Curry - Imperial (2016): I have been listening to Curry's work throughout the year. I have no idea how he's not one of the most critically-acclaimed rappers of the decade. "ULT" from this album should be a classic.

Skepta - Konnichiwa (2016): I was aware of this album when it came out but was somewhat disappointed in it, especially because its best three tracks were singles that came out well before the album's release. While I still think that's true, I've grown to appreciate Skepta's sound and talents more after this year's incredible Ignorance is Bliss.

Blanck Mass - World Eater (2017): Thanks to AMF for this one. I was late to the game, but this adventurous experimental rock style is right up my alley.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

A few releases that I feel don't get discussed here often that I really adore.

Best Coast - Crazy for You (2010): A California beach album if there ever was one, Best Coast never quite reached the heights they did here and on the singles that preceded it. Still, every song here is a poppy, punky (but not quite pop-punk) sugar pill.

Sharon Van Etten - Epic (2010): Yet again, I find my extolling her, but somehow, Epic has not gotten the attention that either her more recent releases or its re-released predecessor, (It Was) Because I Was In Love. A tight affair of only seven songs, each piece here is indispensable, particularly the one-two emotional closer of "One Day" into "Love More", a track that's found a wider audience through covers by Bon Iver and The National.

The Caretaker - An empty bliss beyond this world (2011): A solemn and profoundly beautiful ambient release. Has gotten some more attention in the years since its release, but I still thought fit to mention here.

Dan Deacon - America (2012): An idiosyncratic technological symphony. Dan Deacon's remained fairly under the radar despite consistently outputting strong material album after album. This song also features one of my favorite individual tracks (and music videos) of the decade, "True Thrush".

Norah Jones - Little Broken hearts (2012): A stylistic change for Jones, she collaborated on this album with producer Danger Mouse in a similar manner as this year's Lux Prima with Karen O. Some of her diehard fans panned the new direction, but I for one enjoy hearing the synthesis of her trad jazz stylings with Danger Mouse's hypermodern production style.

Jason Isbell - Southeastern (2013): A masterful country album released before the late 2010s country renaissance, Isbell's finest album to date should not be discounted. Gorgeous, heartrending songcraft with impeccable lyricism.

Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste (2014): After "212", Banks was poised to be one of the hottest artists of the decade, but serious delays (three years!) to this, her release album, as well as her own tempestuous public identity made this release not get the reception it warranted as a seriously impressive hip-hop-by-way-of-British-dance release.

Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld - Never Were the Way She Was (2015): An album of instrumental saxophone and violin duets, Stetson's proved the more recognizable name from his solo releases and his recent film scoring work on the film Hereditary. However, I'd say that this release marks both artists' respective peaks. The two instruments work incredibly together and deliver a remarkable amount of ambiance and texture in sync.

Kashiwa Daisuke - Program Music II (2016): Daisuke's previous release under the name Program Music has gotten much discussion here, particularly its masterful first half, the epic "Stella", but this decade's followup slipped under the radar. While it lacks the grand scale of its predecessor, the eight tracks here deserve just as much attention.

The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir (2017): I think that this album was ignored somewhat for its scale and for it seeming like a possible retread of their previous Large Scale Album, 69 Love Songs, but Merritt's songwriting is in rare form throughout this memoir, and the narrative progression as you live with him a half-century of his life is a truly unique experience.

Also, I feel like this is an appropriate place to ask - how will the decade poll include albums that were released across multiple parts? For example, Death Grips The Powers That B had two parts released a year apart and The Caretaker's Everywhere at the end of time had six parts released over four years. Will each release be considered separately? Or is it up to the discretion of the voter?
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Definitely a lot of albums/songs that I wish got more praise but it’s been a very rewarding decade to dig deep and have varied tastes!

Albums

Paul Weller - Wake Up the Nation (2010)
The Books - The Way Out (2010)
Ghostface Killah - Apollo Kids (2010)
Saigon - The Greatest Story Never Told (2011)
Bomb the Music Industry! - Vacation (2011)
Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin’ (2011)
Just a Band - Sorry for the Delay (2012)
Vijay Iyer - Accelerando (2012)
Plan B - Ill Manors (2012)
Russian Circles - Memorial (2013)
The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation (2013)
Jason Isbell - Southeastern (2013)
The Delines - Colfax (2014)
Le Roux - Trouble in Paradise (2014)
Shellac - Dude Incredible (2014)
Bop English - Constant Bop (2015)
Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld- Never Were the Way She Was (2015)
Susanne Sundfør - Ten Love Songs (2015)
Jambinai - A Hermitage (2016)
Brigid Mae Power - Brigid Mae Power (2016)
Ital Tek - Hollowed (2016)
Converge - The Dusk In Us (2017)
Wiley - Godfather (2017)
Oxbow - Thin Black Duke (2017)
Melissa Leveaux - Radyo siwèl (2018)
Alela Diane - Cusp (2018)
Sleep - The Sciences (2018)

Songs

Screaming Females - Laura and Marty (2010)
Hot Chip - One Life Stand (2010)
Nas & Damian Marley - As We Enter (2010)
Ambrose Akinmusire - Confessions to My Unborn Daughter (2011)
Three Trapped Tigers - Drebin (2011)
Gang Gang Dance - Glass Jar (2011)
Torche - Kicking (2012)
Dr. John - Big Shot (2012)
Amanda Palmer, The Grand Theft Orchestra - The Bed Song (2012)
Milo - Sweet Chin Music (The Fisher King’s Anthem) (2013)
Steve Gunn - Lurker (2013)
Bombino - Amidinine (2013)
Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams (2014)
A Sunny Day in Glasgow - MTLOV (Minor Keys) (2014)
Pusha T - Lunch Money (2014)
Napalm Death - How the Years Condemn (2015)
Thee Oh Sees - Withered Hand (2015)
Lightning Bolt - The Metal East (2015)
Paul Simon - Wristband (2016)
Future of the Left - 50 Days Before the Hun (2016)
Karl Blau - Fallin Rain (2016)
Songhoy Blues - One Colour (2017)
Bedouine - One Of These Days (2017)
Pile - Worms (2017)
Virginia Wing - The Second Shift (2018)
The Field - Made Of Steel, Made Of Stone (2018)
Objekt - Deadlock (2018)
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

And I guess since both me and acroamor recommended the Jason Isbell and Colin Stetson albums they should be essential listening before the decade poll :mrgreen:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Limiting myself to albums that aren't in the top 30 of their respective year on AM...

The Beach Boys- The SMiLE Sessions:

Okay, we all know this one. But it's a fantastic album and it definitely deserves a re-listen if you've only heard it once or twice. Will it even count for our EOD poll? Well, who's to say, but seeing as it's listed on AM I say that it should.

A.A.L (Against All Logic)- 2012 - 2017:

My AOTY for 2018. A.A.L is the pseudonym of Nicolas Jaar, ambient electronic musician whose work I've always respected more than enjoyed. But where Jaar's previous work was staid and calming, 2012 - 2017 is much more akin to a house album, with fantastic piano loops, soul samples, and all the other traditional trappings of the genre. Songs like "I Never Dream" sound like the past, present, and far-off future.

Justin Timberlake- The 20/20 Experience:

The former boy band member takes a seven year hiatus and comes back with a 70 minute long art pop album, where the average song length is north of seven minutes. This thing is more lush than a velvet loveseat, and its relatively complex song structures are a great continuation of the ideas found on Timberlake's 2006 album FutureSex/LoveSounds. On one song he spends seven minutes singing about fucking on the moon. If that doesn't sell you on the album I don't know what will.

Sigur Rós- Kveikur:

A much heavier, much "song-ier" album than the band's previous work, Kveikur was released back in 2013 to critical acclaim, though much less than some of their previous albums had. And this is a shame, because this album is a subtle reinvention that really works. Check out the song "Brennisteinn" for a glimpse into how heavy the band can get.

Car Seat Headrest- Twin Fantasy (Face to Face):

A re-recording of their 2011 album, but with the ultra-low-fi production cleaned up. Track to check out: "Bodies".

Kids See Ghosts- Kids See Ghosts:

Kanye West and Kid Cudi team up on one of the strangest rap albums of the decade. Is it psychedelic rap rock? Maybe? It is awesome? Absolutely. Track to check out: "Kids See Ghosts".

Spiritualized- Sweet Heart Sweet Light:

The second-best Spiritualized album, in my humble opinion. Almost as lush as that one Timberlake release. Track to check out: "Hey Jane".

C418- Minecraft - Volume Alpha:

Even outside the context of one of the great video games of all time, C418's soundtrack for Minecraft is still incredible. Probably the most "fun" an ambient album can get. Track to check out: "Mice on Venus".

Maxwell- blackSUMMERS'night:

An ultra-sensual and somewhat overlooked album from a 90s soul icon. If you're into the whole 2010s neo-soul movement (Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, et al), then this album is an absolute must. Track to check out: "Lake By the Ocean".

Deafheaven- Ordinary Corrupt Human Love:

Hey, you got shoegaze in my black metal! Hey, you got black metal in my shoegaze. The blackgaze rockers return with their most anthemic album yet, a release built for beach bonfires and long drives along the Pacific Coast, black metal screams included. Track to check out: "Honeycomb".
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

how about:

Kofelgschroa - Kofelgschroa (2012)
Bavarian "volksmusic" with a twist. Classic volks instruments like the tuba, althorn and accordeon are used in repetive pattern usually found in electronic music. Don't be afraid about the lyrics, as a german I don't understand most of it either.

Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze (2012)
Karftwerk 2.0, not only because they are from Düsseldorf

Candelilla - Heart Mutter (2013)
Produced by Steve Albini this very much sounds like female Shellac (in a good way)

Get Well Soon - LOVE (2016)
Probably germans most international sounding pop songwriter. Maybe thats why so few people listen to him here, its a pity ...

Nadine Shah - Holiday Destination (2017)
I love all three of her albums but this is probably my favorite. I don't really get why she isn't a star yet. Fans of Nick Cave or PJ Harvey should listen to this.

The Orielles - Silver Dollar Moment (2018)
Maybe these 18somethings don't reinvent the wheel but they are doing there post whatever guitar pop music with so much enthusiasm that it just makes me happy. And if you are listening to them on streaming just add the grandious 2017 single "Sugar tastes like salt" to the playlist
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

At most one per year:

Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns (2010)
Maybe the sound won't be for everyone, which has a 95% clean vocal / 5% screamo / 0% normally-accepted-rock-vocal mix, as well as electronic/rock/rap/others genre fusion. "Blackout" is still obnoxious, and "Iridescent" is still corny. But this remains one of my favorite concept albums ever. This does Kid A better than Kid A. The way the band treats sound on this album is still uniquely well-executed among everything I've heard.

Chelsea Wolfe - Apokalypsis (2011)
At this album's best, creepy gothic rock music. Maybe I can compare it as a less proggy and less alien version of Anna von Hauswolff's Dead Magic.

Ka - The Night's Gambit (2013)
A very lyrical and conceptual rapper, in prime condition.

Clarence Clarity - No Now (2015)
If an album represented what the Internet sounds like, this is it. Glitches in all directions, late 90s pop distorted and warped.

YG - Still Brazy (2016)
I call this dance-rap. Content revolves around YG's gangsta life (though there are a few nice surprises). Flows and beats are really fun.

Rina Sawayama - Rina EP (2017)
Updated, futuristic takes on 90s pop. Very catchy.

Judas Priest - Firepower (2018)
An amazing heavy metal album created in the 21st century. That should be all you need to listen to it! It's got great vocals, too.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I remember being really excited when the decade lists for the 2000s starting coming out in 2009. I thought I'd be less excited about this kind of thing 10 years later (and being 10 years older) but I'm not, goddammit. So I've spent quite a bit of time over the past couple of months revisiting my yearly songs lists of the 2010s and re-ranking them, while also discovering a few new songs along the way.

Below is my current 200 favourite songs of the 2010s. It will no doubt change a little as I discover more songs from 2019 and as critics and fellow forumers start posting their decade lists over the next year. In terms of recommendations, it's hard to point out specific tracks, but I guess the genres next to the songs below might be useful for anyone wanting to check out songs they don't know that's in a genre they like.

01 | M83 | Midnight City | 2011 | France | Synthpop, Synthwave
02 | Crystal Castles feat. Robert Smith | Not in Love | 2010 | Canada, UK | Synthpop, Electropop
03 | Azealia Banks feat. Lazy Jay | 212 | 2011 | USA, Belgium | Hip House
04 | Beyoncé feat. Kendrick Lamar | Freedom | 2016 | USA | Alternative R&B
05 | Susanne Sundfør | Kamikaze | 2015 | Norway | Synthpop, Art Pop
06 | Röyksopp & Robyn | Do It Again | 2014 | Norway, Sweden | Electropop, Electro House, Dance-Pop
07 | Janelle Monáe feat. Big Boi | Tightrope | 2010 | USA | Contemporary R&B
08 | Perfume Genius | Slip Away | 2017 | USA | Art Pop
09 | Kanye West | Power | 2010 | USA | Hip Hop
10 | The Black Keys | Run Right Back | 2011 | USA | Blues Rock, Garage Rock

11 | Old Crow Medicine Show | Sweet Home | 2014 | USA | Old-Time
12 | Janelle Monáe | Cold War | 2010 | USA | Contemporary R&B, Art Pop
13 | Ondatrópica | Tiene Sabor, Tiene Sazón | 2012 | Colombia | Cumbia
14 | Lykke Li | I Follow Rivers | 2011 | Sweden | Indie Pop, Art Pop
15 | Adele | Rolling in the Deep | 2010 | UK | Pop Soul
16 | Run the Jewels | Talk to Me | 2016 | USA | Hardcore Hip Hop
17 | Taylor Swift | Shake It Off | 2014 | USA | Dance-Pop
18 | Ibibio Sound Machine | Give Me a Reason | 2017 | UK | Funktronica, Afro-Funk, Dance-Pop
19 | Vampire Weekend | Giving Up the Gun | 2010 | USA | Indie Pop, Indietronica
20 | Vampire Weekend | Diane Young | 2013 | USA | Indie Pop, Indie Rock

21 | Charli XCX | SuperLove | 2013 | UK | Dance-Pop, Electropop, Pop Rock
22 | Sleigh Bells | Tell 'Em | 2010 | USA | Noise Pop
23 | Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea | Problem | 2014 | USA, Australia | Contemporary R&B, Dance-Pop
24 | Arcade Fire | Ready to Start | 2010 | Canada | Indie Rock, Post-Punk Revival
25 | Kanye West | Black Skinhead | 2013 | USA | Hardcore Hip Hop, Industrial Hip Hop
26 | Tame Impala | Let It Happen | 2015 | Australia | Psychedelic Pop, Synthpop, Indietronica
27 | Grinderman | Palaces of Montezuma | 2010 | UK | Pop Rock, Punk Blues
28 | Lizzo | Cuz I Love You | 2019 | USA | Pop Soul, Contemporary R&B
29 | Skepta | Shutdown | 2015 | UK | Grime
30 | Janelle Monáe | Make Me Feel | 2018 | USA | Synth Funk, Art Pop

31 | Robyn | Dancing on My Own | 2010 | Sweden | Electropop, Dance-Pop
32 | Kendrick Lamar | Backseat Freestyle | 2012 | USA | Hardcore Hip Hop
33 | Vampire Weekend | This Life | 2019 | USA | Indie Pop
34 | Drake feat. Majid Jordan | Hold On, We're Going Home | 2013 | USA | Contemporary R&B
35 | Kanye West feat. Rihanna & Kid Cudi | All of the Lights | 2010 | USA | Pop Rap
36 | The War on Drugs | Holding On | 2017 | USA | Heartland Rock
37 | Childish Gambino | This Is America | 2018 | USA | Political Hip Hop
38 | Beach House | Myth | 2012 | USA | Dream Pop, Indie Pop
39 | Sufjan Stevens | No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross | 2015 | USA | Singer/Songwriter, Indie Folk
40 | Lykke Li | Sadness Is a Blessing | 2011 | Sweden | Indie Pop, Art Pop

41 | Kosheen | Addict | 2012 | UK | Electro House, Electropop
42 | LCD Soundsystem | All I Want | 2010 | USA | Alternative Dance, New Wave
43 | Kanye West feat. Nicki Minaj, Jay-Z, Rick Ross & Bon Iver | Monster | 2010 | USA | Hardcore Hip Hop
44 | Wiley feat. Devlin | Bring Them All / Holy Grime | 2016 | UK | Grime
45 | Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars | Uptown Funk | 2014 | USA | Synth Funk
46 | Avicii | Levels | 2011 | Sweden | Electro House
47 | Hercules & Love Affair feat. John Grant | I Try to Talk to You | 2014 | USA | Electro-Disco, Deep House
48 | Leon Else | What I Won't Do | 2017 | UK | Dance-Pop, Electropop, Synthpop
49 | Seinabo Sey | Hard Time | 2014 | Sweden | Pop Soul, Alternative R&B
50 | The Black Keys | Eagle Birds | 2019 | USA | Garage Rock Revival

51 | St. Vincent | Los Ageless | 2017 | USA | Art Pop, Synthpop
52 | Cage the Elephant | Social Cues | 2019 | USA | Neo-Psychedelia, Pop Rock
53 | Sturgill Simpson | Sing Along | 2019 | USA | Boogie Rock
54 | Arcade Fire | The Suburbs | 2010 | Canada | Indie Rock
55 | Raphael Saadiq | Stone Rollin' | 2011 | USA | Neo-Soul, Rhythm & Blues
56 | Vampire Weekend | Run | 2010 | USA | Indie Pop
57 | James Blake | Retrograde | 2013 | UK | Alternative R&B, Electronic
58 | David Bowie | I Can't Give Everything Away | 2016 | UK | Art Rock
59 | Fleet Foxes | Blue Spotted Tail | 2011 | USA | Indie Folk
60 | First Aid Kit | Emmylou | 2012 | Sweden | Folk Pop

61 | Miguel | Adorn | 2012 | USA | Alternative R&B
62 | The Irrepressibles | Arrow | 2012 | UK | Chamber Pop, Art Pop
63 | The Horrors | Still Life | 2011 | UK | Neo-Psychedelia
64 | Perfume Genius | Hood | 2012 | USA | Art Pop
65 | The Black Keys | Lonely Boy | 2011 | USA | Garage Rock, Blues Rock
66 | Jungle | Busy Earnin' | 2014 | UK | Synth Funk, Funktronica, Electro-Disco
67 | Blick Bassy | Aké | 2015 | Cameroon | Central African Music
68 | Lana Del Rey | Video Games | 2011 | USA | Chamber Pop
69 | Carla Morrison | Un Beso | 2015 | Mexico | Synthpop, Art Pop
70 | Sky Ferreira | Everything Is Embarrassing | 2012 | USA | Synthpop, Alternative R&B

71 | Frank Ocean | Bad Religion | 2012 | USA | Alternative R&B
72 | Laura Veirs | July Flame | 2010 | USA | Indie Folk, Singer/Songwriter
73 | Barna Howard | Indiana Rose | 2015 | USA | Singer/Songwriter, Americana
74 | Tante Hortense & Revista do Samba | Le bel amant du Berry | 2011 | France, Brazil | Samba-Jazz
75 | Jason Isbell | Live Oak | 2013 | USA | Americana, Singer/Songwriter
76 | Gillian Welch | Dark Turn of Mind | 2011 | USA | Contemporary Folk, Americana
77 | Against Me! | Transgender Dysphoria Blues | 2014 | USA | Punk Rock
78 | Stromae | Formidable | 2013 | Belgium | Nouvelle chanson française
79 | Curtis Harding | Need Your Love | 2017 | USA | Contemporary Soul
80 | David Bowie | 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore | 2016 | UK | Jazz-Rock, Experimental Rock

81 | Susanne Sundfør | Fade Away | 2014 | Norway | Electropop, Synthpop
82 | The Tallest Man on Earth | 1904 | 2012 | Sweden | Contemporary Folk, Singer/Songwriter
83 | Marlon Williams | When I Was a Young Girl | 2015 | New Zealand | Alt-Country, Americana
84 | CHAI | Wintime | 2019 | Japan | Dance-Punk, Indie Pop
85 | Big Boi feat. Cutty | Shutterbugg | 2010 | USA | Hip Hop
86 | Ibibio Sound Machine | Tell Me (Doko Mien) | 2019 | UK | Electro, Afro-Funk
87 | ANOHNI | Drone Bomb Me | 2016 | UK | Art Pop, Electropop
88 | CHVRCHES | The Mother We Share | 2012 | UK | Synthpop, Electropop
89 | Michael Kiwanuka | Black Man in a White World | 2016 | UK | Contemporary Soul
90 | Tame Impala | The Less I Know the Better | 2015 | Australia | Synthpop, Psychedelic Pop

91 | Andrew Bird | Sisyphus | 2019 | USA | Indie Folk, Indie Pop
92 | Kelis | Bless the Telephone | 2014 | USA | Contemporary Soul, Pop
93 | Grimes | Oblivion | 2012 | Canada | Synthpop
94 | Daft Punk feat. Giorgio Moroder | Giorgio by Moroder | 2013 | France, Italy | Electronic, Jazz-Rock
95 | M.A.K.U. SoundSystem | Thank You, Thank You | 2016 | USA | Cumbia, Afrobeat
96 | Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers | Get Lucky | 2013 | France, USA | Nu-Disco
97 | Arcade Fire | Afterlife | 2013 | Canada | Alternative Dance
98 | Caribou | Can't Do Without You | 2014 | Canada | Deep House
99 | Clap! Clap! | Ashiko | 2014 | Italy | Tribal House, UK Bass
100 | Jessie Ware | Tough Love | 2014 | UK | Alternative R&B

101 | The National | The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness | 2017 | USA | Indie Rock
102 | Kaiser Chiefs | Record Collection | 2019 | UK | Indie Rock, Alternative Dance
103 | Kate Tempest | The Beigeness | 2014 | UK | UK Hip Hop
104 | Natalia Lafourcade feat. Los Macorinos | Tú sí sabes quererme | 2017 | Mexico | Folk Pop, Bolero son
105 | Joanna Newsom | On a Good Day | 2010 | USA | Chamber Folk, Singer/Songwriter
106 | Old Crow Medicine Show | Sweet Amarillo | 2014 | USA | Old-Time, Americana
107 | Crystal Castles | Celestica | 2010 | Canada | Synthpop, Dream Pop
108 | The Black Keys | Sister | 2011 | USA | Blues Rock
109 | Sia | Chandelier | 2014 | Australia | Electropop
110 | Ondatrópica | Suena | 2012 | Colombia | Cumbia, Latin Rap

111 | St. Vincent | Prince Johnny | 2014 | USA | Art Pop
112 | Ezra Furman | Driving Down to L.A. | 2017 | USA | Indietronica, Art Pop
113 | Beach House | Zebra | 2010 | USA | Dream Pop, Indie Pop
114 | Lorde | Royals | 2013 | New Zealand | Pop, Electropop
115 | The National | Anyone’s Ghost | 2010 | USA | Indie Rock
116 | Aldous Harding | Elation | 2017 | New Zealand | Singer/Songwriter, Contemporary Folk
117 | Jessie Ware | Adore You | 2019 | UK | Deep House, Dance-Pop
118 | Sufjan Stevens | Mystery of Love | 2017 | USA | Indie Folk, Singer/Songwriter
119 | Haley Heynderickx | No Face | 2018 | USA | Singer/Songwriter, Indie Folk
120 | Anaïs Mitchell feat. Justin Vernon, Ani DiFranco and Ben Knox Miller | Way Down Hadestown | 2010 | USA | Alternative Folk, Dixieland

121 | Villagers | Becoming a Jackal | 2010 | Ireland | Indie Folk, Indie Pop
122 | Fleet Foxes | Helplessness Blues | 2011 | USA | Indie Folk, Chamber Folk
123 | LCD Soundsystem | I Can Change | 2010 | USA | Synthpop, New Wave
124 | Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté | Sabu Yerkoy | 2010 | Mali | Mande Music, Songhai Music
125 | Aurelio | Nando | 2014 | Honduras | Garifuna Folk Music
126 | Sufjan Stevens | Fourth of July | 2015 | USA | Indie Folk, Singer/Songwriter
127 | James Blake | Limit to Your Love | 2010 | UK | Art Pop, UK Bass, Alternative R&B
128 | Julien Baker | Something | 2015 | USA | Singer/Songwriter, Slowcore
129 | The National | I Need My Girl | 2013 | USA | Chamber Pop, Indie Rock
130 | The Irrepressibles | Two Men in Love | 2012 | UK | Chamber Pop, Art Pop

131 | Kendrick Lamar | King Kunta | 2015 | USA | Hip Hop
132 | Foster the People | Pumped Up Kicks | 2010 | USA | Indie Pop, Pop Rock
133 | St. Vincent | Cruel | 2011 | USA | Art Pop, Indie Pop
134 | Christine and the Queens feat. Dâm-Funk | Damn, dis moi [Girlfriend] | 2018 | France, USA | Synthpop, Synth Funk
135 | Hozier | Take Me to Church | 2013 | Ireland | Chamber Pop, Pop Soul
136 | The xx | Angels | 2012 | UK | Dream Pop
137 | Oumou Sangaré | Mogoya | 2017 | Mali | Wassoulou
138 | The Roots feat. Big K.R.I.T. & Dice Raw | Make My | 2011 | USA | Conscious Hip Hop
139 | Perfume Genius | Queen | 2014 | USA | Art Pop, Indie Pop
140 | Mallu Magalhães | Você Não Presta | 2017 | Brazil | Samba-Rock

141 | Sharon Van Etten | Your Love Is Killing Me | 2014 | USA | Alternative Rock, Indie Pop
142 | Kendrick Lamar | The Blacker the Berry | 2015 | USA | Hardcore Hip Hop, Political Hip Hop
143 | Moderat | Bad Kingdom | 2013 | Germany | Indietronica
144 | Calypso Rose | Abatina | 2016 | Trinidad and Tobago | Calypso
145 | Arcade Fire | Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) | 2010 | Canada | Synthpop, Indie Pop
146 | Gorillaz | Rhinestone Eyes | 2010 | UK | Electropop
147 | Foals | Spanish Sahara | 2010 | UK | Indie Rock
148 | Gaelynn Lea | Someday We'll Linger in the Sun | 2016 | USA | Contemporary Folk
149 | Agnes Obel | Dorian | 2013 | Denmark | Singer/Songwriter, Chamber Pop
150 | Laura Marling | Soothing | 2016 | UK | Chamber Pop, Art Pop, Chamber Folk

151 | Beach House | Silver Soul | 2010 | USA | Dream Pop, Indie Pop
152 | John Grant | Caramel | 2010 | USA | Singer/Songwriter, Chamber Pop
153 | PJ Harvey | The Words That Maketh Murder | 2011 | UK | Singer/Songwriter, Art Rock, Indie Folk
154 | Spiro | Burning Bridge | 2015 | UK | Progressive Folk
155 | Rosalía | Pienso en tu mirá | 2018 | Spain | Flamenco Pop, Alternative R&B
156 | Kendrick Lamar | good kid | 2012 | UK | Hip Hop
157 | Daft Punk feat. Panda Bear | Doin' It Right | 2013 | France, USA | Synthpop, Indietronica
158 | The Black Keys | Tighten Up | 2010 | USA | Blues Rock
159 | Justin Bieber | What Do You Mean? | 2015 | Canada | Tropical House, Dance-Pop
160 | John Grant | Black Belt | 2013 | USA | Synthpop

161 | Arcade Fire | We Used to Wait | 2010 | Canada | Indie Rock, Art Rock
162 | The Very Best | Let Go | 2015 | UK | Indie Pop, East African Music
163 | Grimes | Pin | 2015 | Canada | Electropop, Synthpop
164 | Years & Years | If You're Over Me | 2018 | UK | Electropop, Dance-Pop
165 | Solange | Losing You | 2012 | USA | Alternative R&B, Synthpop
166 | Ry Cooder | Lord Tell Me Why | 2011 | USA | Gospel Blues
167 | Little Simz feat. Cleo Sol | Selfish | 2019 | UK | Neo-Soul, UK Hip Hop
168 | Tame Impala | Feels Like We Only Go Backwards | 2012 | Australia | Neo-Psychedelia, Psychedelic Pop
169 | The War on Drugs | Red Eyes | 2013 | USA | Heartland Rock, Indie Rock
170 | alt-J | Left Hand Free | 2014 | UK | Blues Rock, Indie Pop

171 | O Terno | Culpa | 2016 | Brazil | Indie Pop, Psychedelic Rock
172 | Sufjan Stevens | Love Yourself | 2019 | USA | Indietronica, Indie Pop
173 | Katie Toupin | Magnetic Moves | 2019 | USA | Pop Rock
174 | Skepta | Bullet from a Gun | 2019 | UK | UK Hip Hop, Cloud Rap
175 | Michael Kiwanuka | Home Again | 2012 | UK | Contemporary Soul
176 | Ladysmith Black Mambazo feat. Nellie Shabalala | Fikile | 2014 | South Africa | Mbube
177 | Sia feat. Kendrick Lamar | The Greatest | 2016 | Australia, USA | Dance-Pop, Electropop
178 | Caribou | Odessa | 2010 | Canada | Indietronica, Alternative Dance
179 | Beach House | The Hours | 2012 | USA | Dream Pop, Indie Pop
180 | Benjamin Clementine | London | 2015 | UK | Chamber Pop, Singer/Songwriter

181 | Sufjan Stevens | I Walked | 2010 | USA | Art Pop, Glitch Pop, Indietronica
182 | Blick Bassy | Ndjè Yèm | 2015 | Cameroon | Central African Music
183 | James Blake | The Wilhelm Scream | 2011 | UK | Art Pop, Alternative R&B, Downtempo
184 | LCD Soundsystem | Dance Yrself Clean | 2010 | USA | Alternative Dance, Indietronica
185 | Aldous Harding | The Barrel | 2019 | New Zealand | Contemporary Folk, Singer/Songwriter
186 | Melingo | Corazón & Hueso | 2011 | Argentina | Milonga, Tango
187 | Father John Misty | Funtimes in Babylon | 2012 | USA | Indie Folk, Singer/Songwriter
188 | Gregory Porter | Be Good (Lion's Song) | 2012 | USA | Vocal Jazz, Soul Jazz
189 | The National | Afraid of Everyone | 2010 | USA | Indie Rock
190 | Julia Jacklin | Comfort | 2019 | Australia | Indie Folk, Singer/Songwriter

191 | Goldfrapp | Rocket | 2010 | UK | Synthpop, Electropop, Dance-Pop
192 | iamamiwhoami | Sever | 2012 | Sweden | Art Pop, Downtempo
193 | Susanne Sundfør | Accelerate | 2015 | Norway | Synthpop, Art Pop
194 | FKA twigs | Two Weeks | 2014 | UK | Alternative R&B, Art Pop, Electronic
195 | Amira Medunjanin | Čula jesam da se dragi ženi | 2014 | Bosnia-Herzegovina | Singer/Songwriter, Balkan Folk Music
196 | Sacred Paws | Strike a Match | 2017 | UK | Indie Pop, Afro-Pop
197 | Erlend Øye | La prima estate | 2013 | Norway | Chamber Pop, Disco
198 | Gorillaz | On Melancholy Hill | 2010 | UK | Synthpop, Electropop
199 | Leyla McCalla | A Day for the Hunter, a Day for the Prey | 2016 | USA | American Folk Music
200 | LCD Soundsystem | Oh Baby | 2017 | USA | Indietronica

...will keep us together.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Rihanna | ANTI. (2016)
Autechre | Oversteps (2010)
Playboi Carti | Die Lit (2018)
Gang Gang Dance | Eye Contact (2011)
Travis Scott | Rodeo (2015)
Interpol | Interpol (2010)
Nilüfer Yanya | Miss Universe (2019)
Pure Bathing Culture | Moon Tides (2013)
Tirzah | Devotion (2018)
Lingua Ignota | Caligula (2019)
TR/ST | Joyland (2014)
Mid-Air Thief | Crumbling (2018)
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

One big winner from these early lists has been female pop. Lana Del Ray, Carly Rae Jepsen, Grimes, Robyn, Charli XCX, and Sky Ferreira all stand to improve when these lists are incorporated into AM. It's a nice acknowledgement of how great women artists have been the second half of the decade.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

My EOD songs list will consist of these 100 songs, barring discovering new stuff. The trick is ordering them. I'm still working through my albums, which of course takes way longer. A great deal of the songs artists won't have an album on my albums list. Only one track per artist, though I found a way to get three Thugger tracks because he deserves it.

Ariel Pink | Round and Round | 2010
Erykah Badu | Window Seat | 2010
Games | Strawberry Skies | 2010
Janelle Monae | Tightrope | 2010
Joanna Newsom | Good Intentions Paving Company | 2010
LCD Soundsystem | Dance Yrself Clean | 2010
M.I.A. | Bad Girls | 2010
Robyn | Dancing On My Own | 2010
Waka Flocka Flame | Hard in da Paint | 2010
Carly Rae Jepsen | Call Me Maybe | 2011
EMA | California | 2011
Frank Ocean | Novacane | 2011
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib | Thuggin' | 2011
Gang Gang Dance | Glass Jar | 2011
Lana Del Rey | Video Games | 2011
Nicolas Jaar | Space Is Only Noise If You See | 2011
The Weeknd | House of Balloons / Glass Table Girls | 2011
Andres | New For U | 2012
Azealia Banks | 212 | 2012
Fiona Apple | Every Single Night | 2012
Grimes | Oblivion | 2012
John Talabot | Destiny | 2012
Le1f | Wut | 2012
Miguel | Do You | 2012
Perfume | Fake It | 2012
Sky Ferreira | Everything Is Embarassing | 2012
SpaceGhostPurrp | The Black God | 2012
Denitia and Sene | How to Satisfy | 2012
Todd Terje | Inspector Norse | 2012
Usher | Climax | 2012
Annie | Mixed Emotions | 2013
Autre Ne Veut | Play by Play | 2013
DJ Rashad | Rollin' | 2013
Earl Sweatshirt | Chum | 2013
Haim | The Wire | 2013
Julia Holter | Horns Surrounding Me | 2013
Miley Cyrus | Wrecking Ball | 2013
Nils Frahm | Says | 2013
Omar-S | Thank U 4 Letting Me Be Myself | 2013
Savages | She Will | 2013
Schoolboy Q | Man of the Year | 2013
The Knife | Full of Fire | 2013
Caribou | Can't Do Without You| 2014
Charlie XCX | Boom Clap | 2014
D'Angelo and the Vanguard | Really Love | 2014
FKA Twigs | Two Weeks | 2014
GFOTY | Bobby | 2014
Leon Vynehall | It's Just (House of Dupree) | 2014
Moodymann feat. Andres | Lyk U Used To | 2014
Rich Gang | Lifestyle | 2014
Sia | Chandelier | 2014
Taylor Swift | Wildest Dreams | 2014
Yemi Alade | Johnny | 2014
Bjarki | I Wanna Go Bang | 2015
DeJ Loaf | Back Up | 2015
DJ Koze | XTC | 2015
Future | March Madness | 2015
Hieroglyphic Being & J.I.T.U. Ahn-Sahm-Buhl | Fuck the Ghetto / Think About Outer Space | 2015
Jack U | Where are U Now | 2015
Jamie xx | I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times) | 2015
Justin Bieber | Sorry | 2015
Kelela | Rewind | 2015
Kendrick Lamar | King Kunta | 2015
Mbongwana Star | Malukayi | 2015
Shamir | On the Regular | 2015
A Tribe Called Quest | We the People | 2016
Ariana Grande | Into You | 2016
Avalon Emerson | The Frontier | 2016
Beyonce | Formation | 2016
Denzel Curry | ULT | 2016
Jenny Hval | Conceptual Romance | 2016
Jessy Lanza | It Means I Love You | 2016
Klein | Stunt | 2016
Migos | Bad and Boujee | 2016
Mitski | Your Best American Girl | 2016
Rihanna | Work | 2016
Solange | Cranes in the Sky | 2016
YG | FDT | 2016
Young Thug | Kanye West (Pop Man) | 2016
Cardi B | Bodak Yellow | 2017
Deena Abdelwahed | Walk On, Nothing to See Here | 2017
Jules Gimbrone | Language Until it Doesn't | 2017
Karen Gwyer | The Workers Are on Strike | 2017
Lil Uzi Vert | XO Tour Llif3 | 2017
Lizzo | Truth Hurts | 2017
Objekt | Theme from Q | 2017
Selena Gomez | Bad Liar | 2017
Shinichi Atobe | Regret | 2017
SZA | The Weekend | 2017
Vince Staples | Crabs in a Bucket | 2017
Childish Gambino | This is America | 2018
Holly Herndon | Godmother | 2018
JPEGMAFIA | Just Killed a Cop Now I'm Horny | 2018
Kacey Musgraves | Slow Burn | 2018
SOPHIE | It's Okay to Cry | 2018
The 1975 | Love It If We Made It | 2018
Yves Tumor | Noid | 2018
DaBaby | Walker Texas Ranger | 2019
Megan Thee Stallion | Hot Girl Summer | 2019
Theo Parrish | This Is For You | 2019

I haven't really been active the past few years, so if someone could be so kind as to PM me when the official EOD voting starts up I'd really appreciate it!
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Albums:
Caribou | Swim | 2010
Chuck Person | Chuck Person's Eccojams Vol. 1 | 2010
Flying Lotus | Cosmogramma | 2010
Jan Garbarek and The Hilliard Ensemble | Officium Novum | 2010
LCD Soundsystem | This Is Happening | 2010
Michael Pisaro and Taku Sugimoto | 2 Seconds / B Minor / Wave | 2010
Salem | I BURIED MY HEART INNA WOUNDED KNEE | 2010
Anne Guthrie | Perhaps a Favorable Organic Moment | 2011
A$AP Rocky | Live. Love. A$AP | 2011
Chris Watson | El Tren Fantasma | 2011
Frank Ocean | Nostalgia, Ultra | 2011
Gang Gang Dance | Eye Contact | 2011
Grouper | A I A: Alien Observer | 2011
James Ferraro | Far Side Virtual | 2011
Julianna Barwick | The Magic Place | 2011
Pinch & Shackleton | Pinch & Shackleton | 2011
Tim Hecker | Ravedeath, 1972 | 2011
Andy Stott | Luxury Problems | 2012
Death Grips | The Money Store | 2012
Fiona Apple | The Idler Wheel. . . | 2012
Jason Lescalleet | Songs About Nothing | 2012
Jessie Ware | Devotion | 2012
Julia Holter | Ekstasis | 2012
Kendrick Lamar | good kid, m.A.A.d. city | 2012
Laurel Halo | Quarantine | 2012
Meta Meta | MetaL MetaL | 2012
Terrance Dixon | From the Far Future Part 2 | 2012
Vijay Iyer Trio | Accelerando | 2012
Voices from the Lake | Voices from the Lake | 2012
Wadada Leo Smith | Ten Freedom Summers | 2012
DJ Rashad | Double Cup | 2013
Haim | Days Are Gone | 2013
Jessy Lanza | Pull My Hair Back | 2013
Miley Cyrus | Bangerz | 2013
Nils Frahm | Spaces | 2013
Oneohtrix Pointnever | R Plus Sven | 2013
The Knife | Shaking the Habitual | 2013
Sky Ferreira | Night Time, My Time | 2013
Ana Tijoux | Vengo | 2014
Ariel Pink | Pom Pom | 2014
C L E A N E R S | Real Raga Shit Vol. 1 | 2014
D'Angelo and the Vanguard | Black Messiah | 2014
Francis Harris | Minutes of Sleep | 2014
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib | Pinata | 2014
John Luther Adams / Seattle Symphony | Become Ocean | 2014
Kasai Allstars | Beware the Fetish | 2014
Laura Cannell | Quick Sparrows Over the Black Earth | 2014
Leon Vynehall | Music for the Uninvited | 2014
Moodymann | Moodymann | 2014
Carly Rae Jepsen | EMOTION | 2015
Cecile McLorin Salvant | For One to Love | 2015
DJ Spooky with Kronos Quartet | Rebirth of a Nation | 2015
Holly Herndon | Platform | 2015
Levon Vincent | Levon Vincent | 2015
Matana Roberts | Coin Coin Chapter Three: River Run Thee | 2015
Max Richter | Sleep | 2015
Mbongwana Star | From Kinshasa | 2015
Sean McCann | Ten Impressions for Piano & Strings | 2015
The Internet | Ego Death | 2015
Vince Staples | Summertime '06 | 2015
A Tribe Called Quest | We Got It from Here…Thank You 4 Your Service | 2016
Beyonce | Lemonade | 2016
Denzel Curry | Imperial | 2016
Huerco S. | For Those Of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have) | 2016
Idris Ackamoor & the Pyramids | We Be All Africans | 2016
Jenny Hval | Blood Bitch | 2016
Kaytranada | 99.99% | 2016
Kepler Quartet | Ben Johnston: String Quartets Nos. 6, 7, & 8 | 2016
Klein | Only | 2016
Moor Mother | Fetish Bones | 2016
Noname | Telefone | 2016
Noura Mint Seymali | Arbina | 2016
Omar S | The Best | 2016
Rihanna | Anti | 2016
Solange | A Seat at the Table | 2016
Xenia Rubinos | Black Terry Cat | 2016
Young Thug | JEFFREY | 2016
Ellen Arkbro | For Organ and Brass | 2017
Jlin | Black Origami | 2017
Karen Gwyer | Rembo | 2017
Migos | Culture | 2017
Nicole Mitchell  | Mandorla Awakening II: Emerging Worlds | 2017
Pan Daijing | Lack | 2017
Rhiannon Giddens | Freedom Highway | 2017
SZA | Ctrl | 2017
Cardi B | Invasion of Privacy | 2018
Carolyn Sampson and Joseph Middleton | A Soprano's Schubertiade | 2018
Eiko Ishibashi | The Dreams My Bones Dream | 2018
Hannah Silva | Talk in a Bit | 2018
JPEGMAFIA | Veteran | 2018
Marie Davidson | Working Class Woman | 2018
Pusha T | Daytona | 2018
Shinichi Atobe | Heat | 2018
Sylvie Courvoisier Trio | D'agala | 2018
Tierra Whack | Whack World | 2018
Janelle Monáe | Dirty Computer | 2018
Billie Eilish | When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? | 2019
Caroline Shaw / Attacca Quartet | Orange | 2019
Erika de Casier | Essentials | 2019
Lizzo | Cuz I Love You | 2019
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Jeff wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:36 am Only one track per artist, though I found a way to get three Thugger tracks because he deserves it.
You've been disciplined to keep it at one-per-artist for songs and albums, I don't know if I could! Love the nom for From Kinshasa as well :music-listening:
All I got inside is vacancy!
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

“Made” this song list last night - this is my all-time list from a year or two ago but pared down to Only this decade’s songs. Definitely have shifted on some and added many more, but a rough idea of my EOD list.

1. Sharon Van Etten - “Tarifa”
2. Lady Lamb - “Bird Balloons”
3. Japandroids - “The House that Heaven Built”
4. Mitski - “Last Words of a Shooting Star”
5. Sharon Van Etten - “One Day”
6. Angel Olsen - “If It’s Alive, It Will”
7. Courtney Barnett - “Pedestrian at Best”
8. Sharon Van Etten - “Love More”
9. Julia Holter - “Tragedy Finale”
10. Fiona Apple - “Anything We Want”
11. Mitski - “Your Best American Girl”
12. Sharon Van Etten - “Ask”
13. Big Thief - “Mythological Beauty”
14. Julianna Barwick - “The Harbinger”
15. Azealia Banks - “212”
16. Big Thief - “Mary”
17. Bat for Lashes - “Laura”
18. tUnE-yArDs - “Es-So”
19. Sharon Van Etten - “Our Love”
20. Jay-Z and Kanye West - “Niggas in Paris”
21. Karen O - “Ooo”
22. Alabama Shakes - “Hold On”
23. Angel Olsen - “Sister”
24. Deafheaven - “Dream House”
25. The Tallest Man on Earth - “1904”
26. Haim - “The Wire”
27. Fiona Apple - “Werewolf”
28. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - “Sacrilege”
29. SZA - “Drew Barrymore”
30. Mothers - “Hold Your Own Hand”
31. Phoebe Bridgers - “Scott Street”
32. Vampire Weekend - “Hannah Hunt”
33. Phosphorescent - “Song for Zula”
34. Janelle Monae ft. Big Boi - “Tightrope”
35. Dan Deacon - “True Thrush”
36. Carly Rae Jepsen - “Run Away With Me”
37. Carly Rae Jepsen - “Call Me Maybe”
38. tUnE-yArDs - “Bizness”
39. Death Grips - “Get Got”
40. Tyler, the Creator - “Yonkers”
41. St. Vincent - “Cruel”
42. tUnE-yArDs - “Gangsta”
43. St. Vincent - “Masseduction”
44. A Tribe Called Quest ft. Kendrick Lamar - “Conrad Tokyo”
45. Tyler, the Creator ft. Kanye West and Lil Wayne - “Smuckers”
46. Taylor Swift - “Blank Space”
47. Gorillaz - “On Melancholy Hill”
48. SZA - “20 Something”
49. Courtney Barnett - “Depreston”
50. tUnE-yArDs - “Water Fountain”
51. Spoon - “Inside Out”
52. Grimes - “REALiTi”
53. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - “Home”
54. Waxahatchee - “Swan Dive”
55. DJ Shadow ft. Little Dragon - “Scale It Back”
56. Tame Impala - “Keep on Lying”
57. Sturgill Simpson - “Welcome to Earth (Pollywog)”
58. Taylor Swift - “You Belong With Me”
59. Captain Murphy ft. Earl Sweatshirt - “Between Friends”
60. Vampire Weekend - “Unbelievers”
61. Kacey Musgraves - “Late to the Party”
62. Kanye West - “Ultralight Beam”
63. Kacey Musgraves - “Merry Go Round”
64. Julia Holter - “Betsy on the Roof”
65. Kanye West - “So Appalled”
66. Lady Lamb - “Sunday Shoes”
67. Weezer - “California Kids”
68. Julia Holter - “Hello Stranger”
69. Spoon - “Do You”
70. Mitski - “Texas Reznikoff”
71. Spiritualized - “Hey Jane”
72. Japanese Breakfast - “This House”
73. Jason Isbell - “Cover Me Up”
74. Julia Holter - “In the Green Wild”
75. Mitski - “Strawberry Blond”
76. Frank Ocean - “Pyramids”
77. Waxahatchee - “Bathtub”
78. Kamasi Washington - “Truth”
79. Frank Ocean - “Lost”
80. First Aid Kit - In the Hearts of Men”
81. Haim - “Falling”
82. Karen O - “Body”
83. Kendrick Lamar - “Alright”
84. Sharon Van Etten - “I Don’t Want to Let You Down”
85. St. Vincent - “Digital Witness”
86. LCD Soundsystem - “Home”
87. Lucinda Williams - “Place in My Heart”
88. Alvvays - “Dreams Tonite”
89. Leon Bridges - ”River”
90. LCD Soundsystem - “Christmas Will Break Your Heart”
91. Julie Byrne - “Sea As It Glides”
92. M83 - “Midnight City”
93. Odd Future - “Oldie”
94. Rae Sremmurd ft. Gucci Mane - “Black Beatles”
95. Wilco - “If I Ever Was a Child”
96. Angel Olsen - “Some Things Cosmic”
97. Norah Jones - “She’s 22”
98. Todd Terje - “Strandbar”
99. Lil Uzi Vert - “XO Tour Lif3”
100. Cat Power - “Ruin”
101. Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse - “Body and Soul”
102. LMFAO - “Yes”
103. Phoebe Bridgers - “Motion Sickness”
104. Young Thug, Freddie Gibbs, and A$AP Ferg - “Old English”
105. Mothers - “Too Small for Eyes”
106. Girlpool - “Before the World Was Big”
107. Taylor Swift - “I Knew You Were Trouble”
108. Sturgill Simpson - “Keep It Between the Lines”
109. Lorde - “Liability”
110. Sturgill Simpson - “Turtles All the Way Down”
111. D.R.A.M. ft. Lil Yachty - “Broccoli”
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Jeff wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:36 am
I haven't really been active the past few years, so if someone could be so kind as to PM me when the official EOD voting starts up I'd really appreciate it!
Nice to see you back on AMF; I was hoping you'd show up again for EOD time. Lots of great picks in both of your lists.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Some lesser-known songs on my 2010s list:

"Hold My Liquor" | Kanye West (feat. Bon Iver and Chief Keef)
"Body Memory" | Björk
"On a Path" | Owen Pallett
"Need You Now" | Hot Chip
"Levitation" | Beach House
"Stay Out Here" | The Knife
"Sugarboy" | St. Vincent
"Under Cover of Darkness" | The Strokes
"Up In Hudson" | Dirty Projectors
"If You Really Love Nothing" | Interpol
"Put Your Money on Me" | Arcade Fire
"3500" | Travis Scott (feat. Future and 2 Chainz)
"Miss Camaraderie" | Azealia Banks
"Lights" | Interpol
"Ribs" | Lorde
"I Can Never Be Myself When You're Around" | Chromatics
"BOOGIE" | Brockhampton
"Hold You Now" | Vampire Weekend (feat. Danielle Haim)
"In Your Head" | Nilüfer Yanya
"Mural" | Lupe Fiasco
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

notbrianeno wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:56 am Some lesser-known songs on my 2010s list:
"Under Cover of Darkness" | The Strokes
"Put Your Money on Me" | Arcade Fire
Great choices! I can't say I'm too surprised Put Your Money on Me is lesser known, since Arcade Fire appeals more to me than anyone, but I am surprised that Under Cover of Darkness didn't become both a bigger hit and a more acclaimed song. It will feature on my EOD list for sure.
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

Agree with Under Cover Of Darkness. Among my 20 best EOD. Appeared in the wrong decade. Would have been a hit in the 2000s.
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

This duo is probably best known for https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... it-gold-2/.

This track comes two years later from their EP To All My Friends, Blood Makes the Blade Holy as Ant and Slug wax philosophical about life's travails.

[spotifytrack]https://open.spotify.com/track/1WPQ1MfG ... vOhtkrk_pg[/spotifytrack]
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

DJ Rashad's Double Cup has been the best discovery from the EOD lists for me so far. Shame on me for not being on top of that one when it came out. Of the acclaimed electronic albums this decade, it might be the most sheer fun to listen to.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Jackson wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:13 am DJ Rashad's Double Cup has been the best discovery from the EOD lists for me so far. Shame on me for not being on top of that one when it came out. Of the acclaimed electronic albums this decade, it might be the most sheer fun to listen to.
I agree with this. I always gravitated to his EPs and kind of overlooked it. I listened to it again recently and it's definitely making my EOD list.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Last edited by Cold Butterfly on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Thought this would be a fun place to discuss: there were a number of very fun and very high quality EPs released in the past decade. I've compiled a list of my favorite twenty here. Some of these, at the very top, I'll be including in my EOD lists as albums, whereas others, I'll be scooping favorite individual songs ("Headache" by Grouper, "Thinning" by Snail Mail, the title track of the SVE EP) for my EOD song lists.

(I didn't include any EPs that were essentially made irrelevant by their tracks' inclusion on later LPs, like Killer by Phoebe Bridgers, or any of a million live sessions or Tiny Desks that have come out this decade.)

1. Angel Olsen – Strange Cacti
2. Sharon Van Etten – I Don’t Want to Let You Down
3. Kamasi Washington – Harmony of Difference
4. Burial – Truant/Rough Sleeper
5. Boygenius – Boygenius
6. Courtney Barnett – How to Carve a Carrot into a Rose
7. Grouper – Paradise Valley
8. Azealia Banks - 1991
9. Burial – Kindred
10. Lady Lamb – Tender Warriors Club
11. Carly Rae Jepsen – Curiosity
12. Burial – Rival Dealer
13. Snail Mail – Habit
14. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever – Talk Tight
15. Julianna Barwick – Rosabi
16. Earl Sweatshirt – solace
17. Alvvays – Alvvays EP (Antisocialites B-Sides)
18. Olafur Arnalds – Living Room Songs
19. Earl Sweatshirt – Feet of Clay
20. Aphex Twin – Collapse

Also, I wanted to ask about eligibility for a number of these. Are we counting all EPs as albums, should the voter desire? What if the release is essentially just a single, like Truant/Rough Sleeper or Paradise Valley, which are both just two songs? And the specific example I'm most curious about is Courtney Barnett's release: The Double EP, a Sea of Split Peas. I've never actually listened to either of the two EPs compiled there as individuals, rather as just parts of a cohesive whole. What does everyone else think?
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

acroamor wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:57 pm Also, I wanted to ask about eligibility for a number of these.
I was going to reply to this a few days ago but I feel like I've been the first to follow-up on your comments a lot recently and didn't want to come across all stalker-ish :oops:

Seeing as no one else has responded yet though, I'd have a laissez-faire attitude towards accepting all EPs as albums provided they have more than 1 track, which unfortunately excludes records like solace and Steroids (Crouching Tiger Hidden Gabber Mix).

I can see the argument for a multi-track release having a minimum of 15 minutes to be eligible as I can't think of any particularly acclaimed albums that are shorter than Whack World (which is of course dead on 15:00), making Burial's Young Death/Nightmarket fail to qualify, whereas Truant/Rough Sleeper easily passes (as it should with it being 4 minutes longer than DAYTONA).

But maybe it's just futile trying to distinguish albums from EPs when Andy Stott's latest EP is three times as long as Minutemen's debut album. And that's before you get to mixtapes (though I'd unquestioningly count them as albums by another name).
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

mileswide wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:05 am
acroamor wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:57 pm Also, I wanted to ask about eligibility for a number of these.
I was going to reply to this a few days ago but I feel like I've been the first to follow-up on your comments a lot recently and didn't want to come across all stalker-ish :oops:

Seeing as no one else has responded yet though, I'd have a laissez-faire attitude towards accepting all EPs as albums provided they have more than 1 track, which unfortunately excludes records like solace and Steroids (Crouching Tiger Hidden Gabber Mix).

I can see the argument for a multi-track release having a minimum of 15 minutes to be eligible as I can't think of any particularly acclaimed albums that are shorter than Whack World (which is of course dead on 15:00), making Burial's Young Death/Nightmarket fail to qualify, whereas Truant/Rough Sleeper easily passes (as it should with it being 4 minutes longer than DAYTONA).

But maybe it's just futile trying to distinguish albums from EPs when Andy Stott's latest EP is three times as long as Minutemen's debut album. And that's before you get to mixtapes (though I'd unquestioningly count them as albums by another name).
Hahaha I wouldn't have thought a thing of it. And I'd say that's a fair move - any one-track EPs could instead be listed in the songs poll. I actually am imagining I'll probably only list Strange Cacti in my albums list (it will be top 100, for sure) and then I'll be including individual tracks from EPs 2-13 or so on that list.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

acroamor wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:17 am I'll probably only list Strange Cacti in my albums list

You won't be having any Burial EPs in your list now? You've got to have some ambient-darkwave-future-garage in your life! Unless you'll be including his Tunes 2011 to 2019 compilation? For my part, I'll be including Kindred and maybe Rival Dealer, I need to get a start on mine...
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Neil Young - Needle of Death

From A Letter Home
Originally done by Bert Jansch in 1965. (Compare sometime the verse melody for this song with "Ambulance Blues," the last song from Neil's On the Beach.)

https://youtu.be/TZUSiOUU0O4
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Jackson wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:09 am Here are a few albums I've discovered or re-discovered this year:

Anaïs Mitchell - Hadestown (2010)
: I finally got around to listening to this cult forum favorite, though it was due to my personal listening project and not the now-popular Broadway adaptation (which I didn't realize was a thing until the Tony nominations were announced). Obviously, this is great. "Why We Build the Wall" should be an American songwriting standard.
I finally legitimately liked something before it was cool! :)
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:04 pm C418- Minecraft - Volume Alpha:

Even outside the context of one of the great video games of all time, C418's soundtrack for Minecraft is still incredible. Probably the most "fun" an ambient album can get. Track to check out: "Mice on Venus".
Hell yeah homie. That album and his work altogether are massively underrated
Edre the Depeche Head
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:52 pm Neil Young - Needle of Death

From A Letter Home
Originally done by Bert Jansch in 1965. (Compare sometime the verse melody for this song with "Ambulance Blues," the last song from Neil's On the Beach.)

https://youtu.be/TZUSiOUU0O4
No escaping the similarity between the melodies, especially at the beginning of each bar, but I've long loved the emotional exhaustion of Ambulance Blues and, having not heard it before, I prefer this cover of NoD to Jansch's original, thanks for this!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

mileswide wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:32 am
acroamor wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:17 am I'll probably only list Strange Cacti in my albums list

You won't be having any Burial EPs in your list now? You've got to have some ambient-darkwave-future-garage in your life! Unless you'll be including his Tunes 2011 to 2019 compilation? For my part, I'll be including Kindred and maybe Rival Dealer, I need to get a start on mine...
I've always thought of EPs as albums if they are at least 30 minutes or so in length, and most of Burial's EPs this decade feel like LPs by another name. Kindred and Rival Dealer will certainly feature prominently in my list. I also have Andy Stott's first two EPs grouped together on my list, and I'll have Kamasi Washington's Harmony of Difference.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Jackson wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:01 pm I've always thought of EPs as albums if they are at least 30 minutes or so in length, and most of Burial's EPs this decade feel like LPs by another name. Kindred and Rival Dealer will certainly feature prominently in my list.
I'd say Rival Dealer's case is also helped by its coherent concept and mood, it's not just a bunch of disparate songs chucked together as a promotional tool, unlike some EPs.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”