Hall of Acclaim 2019 (poll closed)

Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Hall of Acclaim 2019 (poll closed)

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Category 1: Nominate at least five and no more than ten acts that you feel are deserving of being in the AMF Hall. 2019 releases can be included in your evaluations. There are no restrictions concerning voting for newer performers. The point system: #1 = 10 pts., #2 = 9 pts., and so on. This poll is kind of the Wild West here, so if you are so inclined, you can push your most likely inductees (instead of your personal favorites) to the top spots. The acts with the four-highest points will be the inductees.

Category 2: Additionally if you'd like, you can nominate up to three “backstage wing” individuals who you feel deserve to be in the Hall. “Backstage wing” types include songwriters, producers, record company founders/owners, music video directors, and critics/scholars. (This has also included session musicians, wandering guest musicians, and record company house bands. Unofficial band members like Ian Stewart are "allowed" onstage in this category, as are guest musicians; but not a Performer's official backing band like the E Street Band.) The Backstage Wing point system: #1 = 3 pts., #2 = 2 pts., #3 = 1 pt. Whoever gets the highest points will be the inductee.

Category 3: Additionally if you'd like, you can vote on a proposition of mine to induct any and all prominent backing bands for inducted Performers (the vote would look like Backing Band Inductions: Yes or No). This would induct, for instance, the E Street Band, the Revolution, the Bad Seeds, and the Crickets alongside their performers (in parentheses, or right alongside), essentially like we already have with the Miracles, the Wailers, His Magic Band, and the Heartbreakers. I will go more into this in a separate post. Edit: Just to make it tougher on myself, this will also need a minimum of 5 Yes votes to pass, so that it doesn't skate in on sheer apathy.

I will keep this poll up through the end of Saturday, January 18th, UTC timezone. In the case of a tie in any category, a tie-breaker vote will go into effect for 3 days to determine the winner, in which case I will cast the last vote (or abstain) if need be.

With that all said and taken care of, let the voting begin!
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Re: Hall of Acclaim 2019

Regarding Category 3

I'm creating this as a one-time category. Looking at the inducted Performers, I feel like the induction of backing bands has been inconsistent -- Captain Beefheart's Magic Band, but not the E Street Band; the Wailers, but not the Jimi Hendrix Experience; Tom Petty's Heartbreakers, but not Elvis Costello's Attractions; Smokey Robinson's Miracles, but not the Bad Seeds or the Crickets. (Both Nick Cave and Buddy Holly are actually listed with their band on our site's main Top Artists of All Time page!)

I assume these are casual oversights. The Rock and Roll HOF had this problem itself when it suddenly inducted several backing bands in 2012, even if decades after the main performer's induction. (They did induct the Attractions, the Experience, and the Heartbreakers all at the same time as the main performer.) In my mind, these backing bands who were left out should already be considered inducted, but I didn't want to unilaterally decide this.

My proposed changes would maybe look like what is listed below, but it wouldn't be strictly limited to this, to protect my occasional ignorance. This would also cover future inductions, sparing us issues like, "Oh, should I have included Joan Jett's Blackhearts, Bill Haley's Comets..." Only the performer's more prominent backing bands would be used; otherwise Neil Young has about 10 such bands. I greatly prefer the band to have a name, instead of "Bowie had a pretty cool band in the '90s" or whatever. This is not a perfect system, but I feel like it would right some wrongs.

Louis Armstrong (and the Hot Five / Hot Seven)
David Bowie (and the Spiders from Mars)
James Brown (and the Famous Flames / the J.B.'s)
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Elvis Costello (and the Attractions)
Jimi Hendrix / The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Buddy Holly & the Crickets
Bill Monroe (and the Blue Grass Boys)
Prince (and the Revolution)
Bruce Springsteen (and the E Street Band)
Hank Williams (and the Drifting Cowboys)
Neil Young (and Crazy Horse)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The list of inductees so far:

Performers:

ABBA
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Animal Collective
Aphex Twin
Arcade Fire
Arctic Monkeys
Louis Armstrong
The Band
Alain Bashung
The Beach Boys
Beastie Boys
The Beatles
Beck
Belle and Sebastian
Chuck Berry
Beyoncé
Big Star
Björk
Black Sabbath
Blondie
Blur
David Bowie
Georges Brassens
Jacques Brel
James Brown
Jeff Buckley
Kate Bush
Buzzcocks
The Byrds
Can
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
Johnny Cash
Nick Cave
Ray Charles
The Chemical Brothers
Chic
The Clash
Patsy Cline
Cocteau Twins
Leonard Cohen
Coldplay
Nat King Cole
Ornette Coleman
John Coltrane
Sam Cooke
Elvis Costello
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Cure
Daft Punk
Miles Davis
De La Soul
Deep Purple
Depeche Mode
Bo Diddley
DJ Shadow
Dr. Dre
Fats Domino
The Doors
Nick Drake
Bob Dylan
The Eagles
Duke Ellington
Missy Elliott
Eminem
Brian Eno
Eurythmics
The Everly Brothers
Ella Fitzgerald
The Flaming Lips
Fleetwood Mac
Foo Fighters
The Four Tops -- 2019
Aretha Franklin
Franz Ferdinand
Fugazi -- 2019
Peter Gabriel
Serge Gainsbourg
Marvin Gaye
Genesis
The Grateful Dead
Al Green
Green Day
Guns N’ Roses
Woody Guthrie
Merle Haggard
PJ Harvey
Jimi Hendrix
Billie Holiday
Buddy Holly
Howlin’ Wolf
Hüsker Dü
Janet Jackson
Michael Jackson
The Jam
Jay-Z
Jefferson Airplane
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Billy Joel -- 2019
Elton John
Robert Johnson
George Jones
Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company
Joy Division
B. B. King
Carole King
King Crimson
The Kinks
The Knife
Kraftwerk
Fela Kuti
Kendrick Lamar
LCD Soundsystem
Lead Belly
Led Zeppelin
John Lennon
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Love
Low
Lynyrd Skynyrd
M.I.A.
Madonna
Bob Marley and the Wailers
Massive Attack
Curtis Mayfield
Metallica
Charles Mingus
Joni Mitchell
Thelonious Monk
Bill Monroe
Ennio Morricone
Van Morrison
My Bloody Valentine
Nas
The National
Willie Nelson
Neutral Milk Hotel
New Order
Randy Newman
Joanna Newsom
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
The Notorious B.I.G.
N.W.A.
Oasis
Roy Orbison
OutKast
Parliament/Funkadelic
Charlie Parker
Gram Parsons
Pavement
Pearl Jam
Pet Shop Boys
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Edith Piaf
Pink Floyd
Pixies
The Pogues
The Police
Iggy Pop
Portishead
Elvis Presley
Pretenders
Primal Scream
Prince
Public Enemy
Pulp
Queen
Queens of the Stone Age
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Ramones
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Otis Redding
Lou Reed
Django Reinhardt
R.E.M.
The Replacements
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
The Rolling Stones
Roxy Music
Run-D.M.C.
Santana
Sex Pistols
Sigur Ros
Paul Simon
Simon and Garfunkel
Nina Simone
Frank Sinatra
Siousxie and the Banshees
Sleater-Kinney
Sly and the Family Stone
The Smashing Pumpkins
Bessie Smith
Elliott Smith
Patti Smith
The Smiths
Soda Stereo
Sonic Youth
The Specials
Dusty Springfield
Bruce Springsteen
Steely Dan
Sufjan Stevens
The Stone Roses
The Stooges
The Strokes
St. Vincent -- 2019
Suede
The Supremes
T. Rex
Talk Talk
Talking Heads
Television
The Temptations
A Tribe Called Quest
TV on the Radio
U2
Van Halen
The Velvet Underground
Tom Waits
Scott Walker
Muddy Waters
Weezer
Kanye West
The White Stripes
The Who
Wilco
Hank Williams
Wire
Stevie Wonder
Wu-Tang Clan
X
XTC
Yes
Neil Young
Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention
Warren Zevon

Backstage Wing:

Steve Albini (Indie record producer)
Burt Bacharach and Hal David (Songwriting team)
Lester Bangs (Music critic)
Irving Berlin (Legendary songwriter)
Rodney Bingenheimer (Best known as the first American D.J. to play hot new punk/new wave/alternative acts)
Chris Blackwell (Founder of Island Records; helped popularize reggae music)
Booker T. & the MG’s (Stax Records house band)
Leonard Chess (Chess Records founder)
Robert Christgau (Music critic)
Miles and Ian Copeland (Miles: I.R.S. Records founder; Ian: Promoter, booker, his "FBI" talent agency helped new wave acts)
Ry Cooder (Guest musician discography a mile long; produced Buena Vista Social Club)
Willie Dixon (Also a prolific blues songwriter)
DJ Kool Herc (Credited with helping originate hip-hop music)
Brian Eno (Also a record producer)
Brian Epstein (Discovered and managed the Beatles)
Michael and Stephen Thomas Erlewine (Michael: Created AllMusic; Stephen: Allmusic critic and senior editor)
Ahmet Ertegun (Atlantic Records founder)
David Fincher (Music video director)
Henrik Franzon (Acclaimed Music founder)
Alan Freed (Early rock and roll D.J.)
Dave Fridmann (Indie record producer)
Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff (Songwriting and production team credited for developing Philadelphia soul)
George Gershwin (Legendary songwriter)
Gerry Goffin and Carole King (1960s songwriting team) -- 2019
Nick Gold (World-music producer)
Michel Gondry (Music video director)
Berry Gordy (Motown founder)
Norman Granz (Founded Verve, and other labels; jazz's most successful impresario)
John Hammond (Talent scout, helped the careers of Dylan, Springsteen, Billie Holiday, Aretha, Leonard Cohen, etc., etc.)
Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland (Motown songwriting and production team)
Nicky Hopkins (Session musician, 1960s to 1990s, e.g. the Rolling Stones)
Jimmy Iovine (Record producer; co-founder of Interscope Records)
Quincy Jones (Most famously the record producer for Michael Jackson, "We Are the World")
Spike Jonze (Music video director)
Casey Kasem (D.J. for American Top 40)
Hilly Kristal (Owner of the New York City club CBGB)
Larry Levan (American D.J., dance music pioneer)
Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller (Songwriting team and producers, primarily 1950s)
Alan Lomax (Ethnomusicologist, best known for numerous field recordings of folk music)
Greil Marcus (Music critic)
George Martin (Long-time Beatles producer)
Malcolm McLaren (Promoter and manager of the Sex Pistols, the New York Dolls)
Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section (A group of studio musicians, 1960s to 1980s; most notably played on "Respect")
Les Paul (One of the pioneers of the solid-body electric guitar; credited with many recording innovations)
Bruce Pavitt (Sub Pop founder)
John Peel (Legendary long-time English D.J.)
D.A. Pennebaker (Rock and roll documentary filmmaker, e.g. Don't Look Back)
Lee “Scratch” Perry (Reggae record producer; pioneer in dub music)
Sam Phillips (Record producer, Sun Records founder)
Cole Porter (Legendary songwriter for Broadway and film musicals)
Rick Rubin (Hip-hop/rock producer; Def Jam Recordings co-founder; established American Recordings)
Ryan Schreiber (Pitchfork founder)
Martin Scorsese (Also a rock and roll documentary filmmaker)
Harry Smith (Compiled 1952’s Anthology of American Folk Music)
Phil Spector (Record producer with the "Wall of Sound")
Timbaland (R&B/hip-hop record producer)
Rudy Van Gelder (Long-time jazz engineer, most closely associated with Blue Note Records)
Ivo Watts-Russell (Joint-founder of the indie record label 4AD)
Jann Wenner (Co-founder and publisher of Rolling Stone)
Jerry Wexler (Signed and/or produced numerous Atlantic Records stars)
Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong (Motown songwriting team)
Pharrell Williams (Also a record producer)
The Wrecking Crew (Loose collective of L.A. session musicians, 1960s-1970s; de facto house band for Phil Spector)

(Basic descriptions after the fact, edited by Live in Phoenix)
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Who is even left? Here are some names you could work with (not strictly recommendations). I don't think there's a very strong correlation between this poll and the Top Artist poll, but the four-highest non-inductees from that poll were: Bee Gees, Billy Joel (both in the top 100), Gorillaz, and Swans.

2pac – Johnny Ace – Adele – Air [France] – Alice in Chains – The Allman Brothers Band – Tori Amos – Laurie Anderson – The Animals – ANOHNI/Antony and the Johnsons – Fiona Apple – The B-52's – Bad Brains – Jeff Beck – Bee Gees – Bobby Bland – Blue Öyster Cult – Bon Iver – Boogie Down Productions – Garth Brooks – Ruth Brown – Jackson Browne – Tim Buckley – Buffalo Springfield – Built to Spill – Solomon Burke – Johnny Burnette – Mariah Carey – The Cars – The Carter Family – Enrico Caruso – Cheap Trick – The Coasters – Eddie Cochran – Joe Cocker – Alice Cooper – Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young) – Bing Crosby – Crowded House – Dick Dale – D'Angelo – Dead Kennedys – Def Leppard – Lana Del Rey – Derek and the Dominos – Devo – Neil Diamond – Dion – Dire Straits – Donovan – Drake – The Drifters – Dr. John – Earth, Wind and Fire – Enya – Eric B. and Rakim – Fairport Convention – The Fall – The Four Seasons – Franco – Benny Goodman – Gorillaz – Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five – Grimes – Bill Haley and His Comets – Herbie Hancock – Emmylou Harris – Isaac Hayes – Heart – Julia Holter – John Lee Hooker – Whitney Houston – Ice Cube – Ice-T – Billy Idol – Julio Iglesias – Iron Maiden – The Isley Brothers – Jackson 5 – Etta James – Al Jolson – Louis Jordan – Albert King – Kiss – Gladys Knight and the Pips – LL Cool J – The Lovin’ Spoonful – Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers – Manic Street Preachers – Martha and the Vandellas – Paul McCartney/Wings – John Mellencamp – Janelle Monáe – The Moody Blues – Morrissey – Jelly Roll Morton – Motörhead – Billy Murray – Muse – Ricky Nelson – New York Dolls – Laura Nyro – Frank Ocean – The O’Jays – Mike Oldfield – Pere Ubu – Carl Perkins – Wilson Pickett – The Platters – Lloyd Price – The Prodigy – Bonnie Raitt – The Rascals – Jimmy Reed – The Righteous Brothers – Robyn – Jimmie Rodgers – Sonny Rollins – The Ronettes – Linda Ronstadt – Todd Rundgren – Rush – Sam and Dave – Bob Seger – Del Shannon – The Shirelles – Slayer – Slint – Soundgarden – The Spinners – Spoon – The Staple Singers – Stereolab – Rod Stewart – Barbra Streisand – Donna Summer – Swans – Taylor Swift – Tame Impala – James Taylor – Richard and Linda Thompson – TLC – Tool – Traffic – Big Joe Turner – Tina Turner (w/ or w/o Ike) – Ritchie Valens – Vampire Weekend – Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble – Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps – John Williams – Lucinda Williams – Jackie Wilson – George Winston – Bobby Womack – Link Wray – The xx – The Yardbirds – Yeah Yeah Yeahs – The Zombies – ZZ Top
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Here is the master list of eligible Backstage Wing nominations, with short or edited descriptions, plus the name of one forum member who made the nomination. (Let me know if you think my description missed the mark.) I added some names that I thought would be of some note.

William Ackerman and Anne Robinson (Founders of Windham Hill Records, a new age record label from 1976 to 2007) (Live in Phoenix)

Moses Asch (Ran the Asch [later Folkways] label from 1948 until his death in 1986; some of America's greatest folk songs were originally recorded for Asch) (EmilienDelRey)

Kurt Ballou ("Probably the greatest producer of heavy rock and metal albums in the last 20 years, responsible for dozens of modern classics") (FrankLotion)

Pierre Barouh (Introduced Bossa Nova in France before founding the "Saravah" label, on which some seminal French acts recorded) (Pierre)

Adrian Belew (King Crimson frontman has also played and/or toured with Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Talking Heads, Laurie Anderson, Nine Inch Nails, Paul Simon, Tom Tom Club) (notbrianeno)

Pedro Bell (Made the elaborate album cover designs and other artwork for numerous Funkadelic and George Clinton solo albums. Bell also wrote many of the liner notes of the records under the name Sir Lleb.) (Live in Phoenix)

Emile Berliner (Inventor best known for inventing the flat disc record and the Gramophone) (Rocky Raccoon)

Otis Blackwell (His compositions include "Fever," "Great Balls of Fire," "Breathless," "Don't Be Cruel," "All Shook Up," "Return to Sender" [with Winfield Scott]; and "Handy Man") (The_Claw)

T-Bone Burnett (Record producer; credits include everyone from B.B. King to the Wallflowers, with over a dozen Grammys [e.g., Raising Sand; O Brother, Where Art Thou?], and one Oscar ["The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart]) (DocBrown)

John Cale (Record producer and arranger on a number of albums, including the Stooges' debut and a trilogy by Nico; produced Patti Smith's Horses) (luney6)

Julián Carrillo (Composer, conductor, violinist and Mexican scientist, considered by many experts as one of the most important composers in the country and an important microtonal music pioneer) (Blanco)

Dick Clark (From 1956 to 1989, hosted American Bandstand, a popular music-performance and dance show also credited with introducing rock and roll to many Americans) (luvulongTIM)

Michel Colombier, Alain Goraguer, and Jean-Claude Vannier (Three of the Gainsbourg arrangers. And three great composers too.) (Romain)

Anton Corbijn (Director and photographer with his very own style: Nirvana’s “Heart Shaped Box,” Joy Division’s “Atmosphere,” and personal favourite Depeche Mode "Never Let Me Down Again") (Honorio)

Don Cornelius (American television show host and producer who was best known as the creator of the nationally syndicated dance and music show Soul Train [hosted 1971 to 1993]) (luvulongTIM)

Roger Dean (Album cover artist for bands like Yes and Asia) (Live in Phoenix)

Dee Nasty (French DJ who practically created the French hip-hop subculture) (Pierre)

DJ Premier (Has worked with Big Daddy Kane, Christina Aguilera, Common, D'Angelo, Dr. Dre, Game, Janet Jackson, Jay-Z, Kanye West, KRS-One, Ludacris, Mac Miller, Mobb Deep, Mos Def, Nas, The Notorious B.I.G., Rakim, Snoop Dogg) (EmilienDelRey)

Coxsone Dodd (Studio One owner/producer) (Mindrocker)

Tom Dowd (Atlantic Records' chief engineer and a producer; popularized multitrack recording; recorded both for Atlantic, Stax and Muscle Shoals and worked with jazz, R&B, soul and rock legends) (The_Claw)

Dr. Demento (American radio broadcaster specializing in novelty songs, comedy, and strange or unusual recordings; brought ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic to national attention) (luvulongTIM)

Dr. Dre (Produced for -- and in some cases, overseen the careers of -- 2Pac, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, 50 Cent, The Game, Kendrick Lamar, Anderson .Paak) (Live in Phoenix)

The Dust Brothers (Paul's Boutique, Odelay and MmmBop, 'nuff said!) (nassim)

Thomas Edison (His 1877 phonograph is the recording industry's Big Bang [originally too lo-fi for serious music recording, and improved on for years without him]. Co-founded Edison Records in 1888.) (Live in Phoenix)

Manfred Eicher (Founder of ECM Records and record producer) (Schüttelbirne)

Daniel Ek (Founder of Spotify. Changed the music listening experience and made streaming albums easier and more accessible.) (Mattceinicram)

El-P (Co-founder of the Definitive Juxrecord label; a major driving force in alternative hip hop, producing for Aesop Rock, Mr. Lif, and Cage, among others) (nassim)

Bob Ezrin (Produced some of the most entertaining hard rock albums in history [credits include Alice Cooper's '70s run, Lou Reed's Berlin, Kiss's Destroyer; co-producer of Pink Floyd's The Wall]) (Pierre)

Anthony Fantano ("Probably the most popular music critic of all time, and second only to Ebert & Roeper among critics of all mediums") (prosecutorgodot)

Flood (Post-punk and alternative rock record producer and audio engineer: New Order, U2, Nine Inch Nails, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Sigur Rós, The Smashing Pumpkins, Brian Eno) (notbrianeno)

Kim Fowley (Runaways manager; kinda like the John Waters of 70s glam/hard rock with his wild perversion and raunchy imagery) (luvulongTIM)

The Funk Brothers (Performed the backing to most Motown recordings from 1959 until 1972. One of the most successful groups of studio musicians in music history.) (Live in Phoenix)

Bob Geldof (Singer of the Boomtown Rats, co-founder of Band Aid, actor in The Wall, he has earned his place in pop music history) (Pierre)

Charlie Gillett (Radio presenter, musicologist and writer [e.g. The Sound of the City book]; promoted world music; discovered and promoted such acts as Dire Straits and Ian Dury) (DaveC)

Nigel Godrich (Producer of Radiohead's studio albums since OK Computer. Has worked with Beck, Paul McCartney, U2, R.E.M., Pavement and Roger Waters.) (Gillingham)

Peter Guralnick (Music biographer, including an acclaimed two-volume Elvis biography in the '90s) (Live in Phoenix)

Rick Hall (Record producer, owner of FAME Studios. "I'd recommend the documentary Muscle Shoals for his story. It's amazing how much great music came out of there, and he had a lot to do with it.") (andyd1010)

W.C. Handy ("Possibly the most important backstage guy in popular music. The blues became part of the musical landscape thanks to his compositions [like 'St. Louis Blues'], which also helped developed jazz.") (Rob)

Martin Hannett (Producer, particularly of Joy Division's two LPs, significantly shaping the sound of those records) (Live in Phoenix)

Hipgnosis (English art design group [primarily Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey Powell, and later Peter Christopherson]. Album cover clients included Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Wings, T. Rex, and especially Pink Floyd.) (Live in Phoenix)

Jessica Hopper (American writer; author of The First Collection of Criticism by a Living Female Rock Critic, a compilation of her essays, reported pieces, zines, and reviews) (StevieFan13)

Robert Hunter and John Perry Barlow (The lyricists for Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir, respectively, of the Grateful Dead) (Live in Phoenix)

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (Went from playing in The Time to being major R&B songwriters and producers: Janet Jackson [nine #1 hits], TLC, Michael Jackson, Boyz II Men, Usher, Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey. Wrote 41 U.S. top ten hits.) (Live in Phoenix)

Eddie Kramer (Recording producer and engineer: Jimi Hendrix [all four original albums], the Beatles, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, The Kinks, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones and Carlos Santana) (Live in Phoenix)

Robert John "Mutt" Lange (Produced some of the most entertaining hard rock albums in history [AC/DC's Highway to Hell, Back in Black; Def Leppard's Pyromania, Hysteria]) (Pierre)

Bill Laswell (Everywhere-at-once figure as a producer, player, composer and multiple-label entrepreneur [Ramones, Swans, Herbie Hancock, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Motörhead, the Last Poets, Whitney Houston, Fela Kuti, etc.]) (Live in Phoenix)

Teo Macero (Jazz saxophonist, composer, record producer; producer at Columbia Records for twenty years; credits include Bitches Brew, and Dave Brubeck's Time Out) (sonofsamiam)

Robert Mapplethorpe (Creator of a disturbing but fascinating universe with his provocative black and white pictures, not hiding pornographic subjects. Favourite cover art: Patti Smith's Horses.) (Honorio)

Marley Marl (DJ, producer [LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out], rapper, record label founder; influenced hip hop icons such as RZA, DJ Premier, and Pete Rock) (StevieFan13)

Dave Marsh (For his many written words concerning the world of music and his part in organizing the real RnR HOF) (Rocky Raccoon)

Jimmy Miller (Producer, notably the Rolling Stones' most famous run [even the main drummer on "You Can't Always Get What You Want," "Tumbling Dice"]; Steve Winwood's '60s run; also Screamadelica) (Henry)

Robert Moog (Inventor of the synthesizer, which is easily as influential on popular music as the electric guitar) (Kingoftonga)

Giorgio Moroder (Dubbed the "Father of Disco", pioneering Italo disco and electronic dance music; his work with synthesizers heavily influenced several music genres) (The_Claw)

Shadow Morton ("For his contributions to my favorite girl group of all time, The Shangri-Las." Wrote and produced "Remember [Walking in the Sand]", "Leader of the Pack", and other hits) (HRS)

James Murphy (Has worked on the side with Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, Pulp) (notbrianeno)

The Neptunes (I know Pharrell is already on the list but I think the Neptunes with Chad Hugo deserve even more recognition for their contribution to pop music) (FrankLotion)

Michael Nesmith (Monkee, songwriter [including "Different Drum"], actor, producer, novelist; won the first Grammy for Video of the Year for Elephant Parts; wrote/directed one-hour Monkees '90s comedy special) (jap123)

Jack Nitzsche (Just seemed to pop up in the '60s through '80s -- collaborations with Phil Spector, the Rolling Stones, Neil Young; co-wrote "Needles and Pins"; film work included co-writing "Up Where We Belong" [Oscar winner]) (Live in Phoenix)

Alan Parsons (Assistant recording engineer on "Let It Be" and "Abbey Road," engineer for Dark Side of the Moon, reinvented the Hollies, produced 11 albums as the Alan Parsons Project) (DocBrown)

Conny Plank (Principal krautrock producer, also many new wave/postpunk acts in the 80s) (Mindrocker)

Ann Powers (Music critic, writer [NPR, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Spin, Village Voice]; co-authored book Piece by Piece with Tori Amos) (Pierre)

Mark Radcliffe (Radio broadcaster; best known for his broadcasting work for the BBC since the 1980s [e.g., Mark and Lard, The Folk Show]) (Akhenaten)

The Raelettes (American girl group from the 1950s to 2003, formed, as the name suggests, to provide backing vocals for Ray Charles) (Pierre)

Duke Reid (Jamaican record producer, DJ and label owner; dominated the Jamaican music scene of the 1960s, specializing in ska and rocksteady) (Live in Phoenix)

David Ritz (Autobiographies co-written by Ritz include: Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Jerry Wexler, Etta James, B.B. King, Neville Brothers, Janet Jackson, Morris Day. Author of Respect: The Life of Aretha Franklin. Co-wrote "Sexual Healing" song.) (Live in Phoenix)

Sylvia Robinson (Founder and CEO of Sugar Hill Records, "The Mother of Hip–Hop"; credited as the driving force behind "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang, and Grandmaster Flash's "The Message") (EmilienDelRey)

Nile Rodgers (Produced David Bowie's Let's Dance, Madonna's Like a Virgin; later worked with The B-52s, Mick Jagger, Bryan Ferry, Lady Gaga, and Daft Punk [three Grammy Awards]) (bootsy)

(Richard) Rodgers and (Oscar) Hammerstein (Songwriting team behind Oklahoma!, South Pacific, The King and I, and The Sound of Music. The "Lennon/McCartney" style of dual songwriting credit was based on these kinds of teams.) (Live in Phoenix)

Todd Rundgren (Production credits include Badfinger's Straight Up, Grand Funk Railroad's We're an American Band, New York Dolls, Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell, XTC's Skylarking) (Henry)

RZA (Produced many Wu-Tang solo and affiliate projects) (Gillingham)

Gustavo Santaolalla (One of the most-awarded and recognized musicians in South America. Santaolalla has produced over a hundred albums, which form a kind of map of Latin alternative music.) (Blanco)

Stéphane Saunier (Arranged the live performances on the French show Nulle Part Ailleurs [including Jeff Buckley, Nirvana, Pulp, and Elliott Smith]. The show was known as the best place to perform.) (Nassim)

Piero Scaruffi (Music critic; he has some unorthodox opinions, but a lot of the time the criticism is objective. He reviews a lot of genres that someone like Robert Christgau hasn't even touched on.) (PlasticRam)

Sly and Robbie (Drummer Sly Dunbar and bassist Robbie Shakespeare, a prolific Jamaican rhythm section and production duo, associated primarily with the reggae and dub genres) (Live in Phoenix)

Charles Stepney (Record producer, arranger, songwriter and musician; noted for his work with The Dells, Ramsey Lewis, Rotary Connection and Earth, Wind & Fire) (EmilienDelRey)

Bernie Taupin (Elton John’s long-time lyricist; also co-wrote Heart’s “These Dreams") (luvulongTIM)

Ike Turner (In the ‘50s, a producer/talent scout for innumerous R&B acts including Howlin' Wolf, Bobby Bland and Elmore James, and of course his future wife Tina) (Mindrocker)

Tony Visconti (Producer, including 11 David Bowie studio albums from the ‘60s to Low to Blackstar, and 10 T. Rex albums) (Live in Phoenix)

Andy Warhol (Sticky Fingers and Velvet Underground album covers, among many others; Lou Reed: "In a sense, he really did produce [the Velvets' debut], because he was this umbrella that absorbed all the attacks when we weren't large enough to be attacked.") (Live in Phoenix)

Richard Weize (Founder of Bear Family Records, a Germany-based label that specializes in extravagant reissues of archival material, including country music and 1950s rock and roll) (Live in Phoenix)

Kanye West (Executive producer on his own albums; producing credits include The Blueprint, Common's Be and countless other albums and songs) (PlasticRam)

Vivienne Westwood (British fashion designer, largely responsible for bringing modern punk and new wave fashions into the mainstream; made clothes for Malcolm McLaren's "SEX" boutique) (Pierre)

Joel Whitburn (For decades, he and his company have examined music charts [1890s-onward] and published reference books like The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits 1955–2009) (Live in Phoenix)

Hype Williams (Music video director: "Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check", "Gettin' Jiggy wit It", "No Scrubs", Kanye West's "Gold Digger." Has collaborated with Kanye on 20 videos, and with Busta Rhymes on 16 videos.) (bootsy)

Brian Wilson (Equally as gifted as George Martin and his hero Phil Spector) (madzong)

Tom Wilson (Producer: Bob Dylan, the Mothers of Invention, Simon & Garfunkel, the Velvet Underground [their debut's real producer], Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra, Eddie Harris, Nico, Eric Burdon and the Animals) (Live in Phoenix)

Tony Wilson (Behind some of Manchester's most successful bands. He was one of the five co-founders of Factory Records and the founder and manager of the Haçienda nightclub. Promoted the culture of Manchester throughout his career.) (Akhenaten)

Francis Wolff & Alfred Lion (Wolff: Record company executive, photographer for Blue Note record label. Lion: Record executive, co-founded Blue Note Records, which featured many of the biggest names in jazz 1940s-1960s.) (EmilienDelRey)

Tim Yohannan (Founder of the punk subculture fanzine Maximum Rocknroll [print run 1982 to 2019], and strong presence within it even after his death in 1998. "MRR" continues in its radio show format, along with its website.) (Live in Phoenix)
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

1. John Williams
We haven't inducted the guy who's probably been the film soundtrack (several times over) to your childhood/teenage years? The Star Wars films, Schindler's List, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, the Indiana Jones films, Jaws, Jurassic Park, 1984 Summer Olympic Games, etc.... 5 Academy Awards, plus the American Film Institute selected the 1977 Star Wars as the greatest American film score of all time.
2. Oingo Boingo
3. Billy Idol
4. The Moody Blues
5. Justin Hayward
6. Sting
7. Suzanne Vega
8. Tori Amos
9. Enya
10. Soundgarden

Backstage
1. Thomas Edison
2. Dr. Dre
3. Bob Geldof

Backing Band Inductions: Yes
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Re: Hall of Acclaim 2019 (poll closes at the end of Jan. 18th)

Post by bonnielaurel »

1. Whitney Houston
  2. Tori Amos
  3. Dire Straits
  4. Billy Joel
  5. Donna Summer
  6. Suzanne Vega
  7. Muse
  8. Grimes
  9. Earth, Wind and Fire
  10. Gladys Knight and The Pips
BACKSTAGE WING
  1. Giorgio Moroder
  2. Gerry Goffin and Carole King
  3. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

1. Billy Joel
2. Tori Amos
3. Gladys Knight and the Pips
4. 2Pac
5. Earth, Wind and Fire
6. Manic Street Preachers
7. Donna Summer
8. LL Cool J
9. Devo
10. Paul McCartney/Wings
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

1. Tim Buckley
2. St Vincent
3. Godspeed! You Black Emperor
4. Pere Ubu
5. Arvo Part
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

1. Bad Religion
2. The Offspring
3. Yellow Magic Orchestra
4. Dead Kennedys
5. Lil Peep

- Bad Religion really should be in here for their contribution to the punk scene with the founding of Epitaph and pioneering the melodic hardcore and skate punk sound. Without their sound and label it is likely bands such as The Offspring and other 90s punk bands would never had the chance to take off.

- The Offspring go hand and hand with Bad Religion. Not only do The Offspring hold the record for best selling independent album but are one of the main bands in the punk revival.
Edre the Depeche Head
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

1 | Thrice
2 | Muse
3 | Vampire Weekend
4 | Lana Del Rey
5 | Blink-182
6 | Fiona Apple
7 | Father John Misty
8 | Avenged Sevenfold
9 | Florence and the Machine
10 | The Black Keys

I'll reiterate my previous backstage nomination of Rick Hall.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

1. Bon Iver
2. Billy Joel
3. Sting
4. Earth, Wind & Fire
5. New York Dolls
6. Laurie Anderson
7. Lauryn Hill
8. Alison Krauss
9. Nina Hagen Band
10. Comedian Harmonists

Backstage

1. Manfred Eicher (Founder of ECM Records and record producer)
2. T-Bone Burnett
3. Thomas Edison
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I'm doing all I can to favour impact over personal taste in my top 5 at least but do excuse any egregious biases that seep through!

1. Wiley
The Godfather of Grime, one of the few artists who enjoys unanimous agreement on having created a genre singlehandedly. Every grime artist of the original wave has had firsthand associations with him, be it in the form of mentorship, collaboration, beef or all three in the cases of Dizzee Rascal and Skepta, whom Wiley convinced to swap decks for a mic. The genre has changed dramatically in production values and fortunes since its founder gave it the nascent name of 'eskibeat' but Wiley's foundations remain, namely jungle-inspired rapping over roughed-up, sped-up 2-step beats and, even more crucially, a DIY ethic that has allowed the scene to dominate British culture without ceding an ounce of creative control.

2. Fugazi
Another proponent of DIY, Ian MacKaye started his own label to get his message out there with Minor Threat's debut EP. And his message certainly found an audience; his legacy would be secure solely based on Minor Threat and his later band Fugazi's indelible influence on the formation of post-hardcore, emo and 90s punk. Yet, his name will always be synonymous with the Straight Edge movement borne by the song of the same name's rejection of rock 'n' roll vices, the reverberations of which having only being felt by a relative few but never having left them.

3. Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Admittedly the artist I've heard least of my 10 and one whose story has only just started to be recalled in recent years. Arguably the individual most responsible for gospel's commercial peak on the cusp of the Second World War, Sister Rosetta is most notable in a modern context for allegedly being the first recording artist to use distortion on her electric guitar. Even towards the end of her career, Tharpe was inspiring audiences, her gig supporting Muddy Waters in 1963 at Manchester's Twisted Wheel rivalling the Sex Pistols at the Free Trade Hall in the same city for its reported guestlist, with Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards and Brian Jones all supposedly being in attendance.

4. Dr. Feelgood
The missing link between the rock of the old guard and UK punk. Yes, punk wouldn't have happened without Ramones but the Feelgoods signposted how British youth could make the sound authentic to them. Their back-to-basics approach appealed to bands starting out who felt stadium rock was beyond their reach but it was Wilko Johnson's jagged riffs that really distinguished the band, finding their largest echo in Gang of Four's funky post-punk, thereby indirectly influencing an untold number of artists.

5. Emmylou Harris
It doesn't feel right to me to see Gram Parsons in the Hall without Emmylou, his solo albums would lack their emotional core without her- to think, she was never a country singer before starting sessions for GP. Whatever Gram discovered in her was worth unearthing even if it were only for her innate talent for harmony singing- when I've seen performances of her, whoever she's singing with, she seems to know how best to bring the best out of their voices while not trying to seize the spotlight. Thankfully, she is of course a mellifluous solo singer as well and one that has made her best run of albums since hitting 50.

6. Iron Maiden
7. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
8. 2Pac
9. The Carter Family (Can the Circle Be Unbroken?, not Can I Get A...?)
10. Madness

Backstage wing
1. Nile Rodgers
2. Sylvia Robinson
3. Martin Hannett
(I am incredulous that The Funk Brothers haven't been nominated though, which kind of brings me to...)

Backing band inductions: 100% yes. Music seems to be becoming ever-more collaborative with some would-be solo geniuses being increasingly loath to acknowledge outside involvement. Even in the past and even with the greatest talents, probably only Prince could do it all. There's no way for us to include every contributor to the music we love but automatically inducting backing bands would help redress the balance.
Last edited by mileswide on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All I got inside is vacancy!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

mileswide wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:57 pm
Backstage wing
1. Nile Rodgers
2. Sylvia Robinson
3. Martin Hannett
(I am incredulous that The Funk Brothers haven't been nominated though, which kind of brings me to...)
I imagine the issue is that there are people (like myself) who don't know studio musicians that well. Looking at their description ("performed the backing to most Motown recordings from 1959 until 1972. They are considered one of the most successful groups of studio musicians in music history"), the Funk Brothers seem like a no-brainer to be inducted within at least the next few years. I will add them to the master list above. (Incidentally, I am going to add a very brief description next to the Backstage Wing members who have been inducted -- there are some I'm not even familiar with.)
CupOfDreams
Different Class

Post by CupOfDreams »

1) Swans
2) Stereolab
3) Fugazi
4) Gang of Four
5) Donovan
6) The Four Tops
7) Tame Impala
8) Dr. John
9) Air
10) Bobby Womack

Backstage:
1) Martin Hannett
2) Gerry Goffin & Carole King
3) Bill Laswell
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:20 pm I imagine the issue is that there are people (like myself) who don't know studio musicians that well.
I'd only first heard of the Funk Brothers through the doc Standing in the Shadows of Motown, I was just surprised there was something you knowledgeable people weren't aware of!

I suppose it didn't help that Motown didn't credit session musicians in liner notes until 1971. Due to this loss in royalties, they also appeared on other labels' recordings under pseudonyms to avoid Gordy Berry's attention, including Jackie Wilson's Higher and Higher, John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom, Band of Gold by Freda Payne and Give Me Just a Little More Time by Chairmen of the Board (the latter two at Invictus, the label founded by their former Motown colleagues Holland-Dozier-Holland).

There simply wouldn't be a Motown Sound as we know it without them, so I'm grateful you've added them to the master list :mrgreen:
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1) Todd Rundgren/Utopia
2) The Style Council
3) Chicago
4) Steve Winwood
5) The Allman Brothers
6) The Doobie Brothers
7) The English Beat
8) Journey
9) Joe Satriani
10) Joe Jackson

Backstage:
1) Todd Rundgren
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

1. Sharon Van Etten
2. Mitski
3. Titus Andronicus
4. The Olivia Tremor Control
5. Fugazi
6. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
7. St. Vincent
8. Taylor Swift
9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
10. Vampire Weekend

Backstage:
1. Robert Mapplethorpe
2. Martin Scorsese
3. T-Bone Burnett
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

acroamor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:19 am
Backstage:
1. Robert Mapplethorpe
2. Martin Scorsese
3. T-Bone Burnett
Scorsese was already inducted in the 2008 class :geek:
Henry wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:59 am 1) Todd Rundgren/Utopia
Henry, usually you just put Todd Rundgren…?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

mileswide wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:56 pm
(Sidenote: if anyone's voting for either Minor Threat or Fugazi, I'll be willing to alter my entry to the relevant band)
By now, I've mentally considered this a Fugazi vote. (Maybe Henry is doing the same dynamic with his #1 vote.)

=============================================

At the moment, we have a four-way tie for Backstage Wing. If that sort of thing keeps up, I'll probably run a tie-breaker vote for a whole week.

=============================================

At the moment, Category 3 (the Backing Bands induction vote) doesn't look like it is getting traction. Perhaps people favor the status quo on this.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:41 pm By now, I've mentally considered this a Fugazi vote.
I've now edited it to such to make it official :)
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji »

1. Journey
2. Taylor Swift
3. Chicago
4. Four Tops
5. The Allman Brothers Band
6. Joe Jackson
7. Steve Winwood
8. The Doobie Brothers
9. Bobby Womack
10. Emmylou Harris
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll

Signature:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll is the music version of election day.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

A little over a week left :text-bump:

Consider it a hard deadline, since you only have to cough up 5 to 13 names (instead of hundreds of songs/albums).

For the record, Rush isn't in yet...
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Tom Snyder for the backstage wing for giving the punk rock movement a platform to thrive by frequenting his show.

1. Lush
2. Shonen Knife
3. Teenage Fanclub
4. Guided by Voices
5. Manic Street Preachers
6. Supergrass
7. Sinead O’ Conner
8. Billy Bragg
9. Vampire Weekend

And since pop stars are really finally getting over with critics especially female, I decided to see how well this individual was listing.....0 albums even bubbling and her arch rival Britney ranks 500 notices ABOVE her???? She deserves better for someone who’s got Britney beat by miles in the talent department so, breaking tradition.......
10. Christina Aguilera
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

1. Soundgarden
2. Alice in Chains
3. Jimmy Cliff
4. Françoise Hardy
5. Antônio Carlos Jobim
6. The B-52's
7. The Allman Brothers Band
8. Sarah Vaughan
9. Donna Summer
10. Yellow Magic Orchestra
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

1. Rush

Suddenly in a Rush mood after Neil Peart's death. At the moment they are the most underrated band for me.

2. Léo Ferré

The French moment. In France we usually say that Brassens, Brel and Ferré were the three giants of French chanson in the golden age, and he's therefore the last piece of the puzzle missing.

3. Laura Nyro

Criminally underrated. Why isn't she considered a giant?

4. Sade

As years pass I love her more and more.

5. Tina Turner

An overdue icon.

6. Andrés Calamaro

Overproductive genius of Spanish-language rock. The footprint he has left among our Spanish-speaking fellows is huge, with his excessively sprawling solo output, and all the bands he's been a part of.

7. Albert Ayler

Between him and Don Cherry it's a tie for which free jazz icon should follow in Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane's footsteps by being inducted.

8. Underworld

Underworld, Orbital and Air are one holy trinity of electronic music acts who should be inducted, so that at least all the big classics would be in.

9. Journey

The biggest AOR act. Love the genre or not, I've come to the conclusion that the general critical approach is sometimes wrong, and Journey played a big role in that evolution. Their music is just good.

10. Death

For fun. They are not the creators of death metal, but they were critical in the genre's breakout.

Backstage wing:

1. Bob Geldof

For all his contributions in various fields about music.

2. Vivienne Westwood

Got her on my mind as a side-effect of that book about punk that got me voting for Bingenheimer too.

3. Nigel Godrich

Unpopular opinion time :violence-duel: I think he might be the real genius in Radiohead's career. I've always felt their music was more interesting for their production than the actual songs.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

Only including acts whose first album came out no later than 2009.

1. John Mellencamp
2. The Four Tops
3. Derek and the Dominos
4. Vampire Weekend
5. Buddy Guy
6. Soundgarden
7. St. Vincent
8. Living Colour
9. The Zombies
10. Bill Haley and His Comets
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

1. Madness
2. Paul McCartney
3. Donna Summer
4. Manic Street Preachers
5. St. Vincent
6. Sinéad O’Connor
7. Tori Amos
8. Billy Joel
9. Muse
10. Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

1. Roy Harper
2. Manic Street Preachers
3. Four Tops
4. Gentle Giant
5. Camel
6. The Moody Blues
7. Muse
8. Fiona Apple
9. Songs: Ohia/Jason Molina
10. Gang of Four
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

A little under 48 hours left (UTC time zone ... so about 45 1/2 hours left). Some exciting/heartbreaking finalist changes of late.
The_Claw
Different Class

Post by The_Claw »

1. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
2. Paul McCartney & Wings
3. Bee Gees
4. The Prodigy
5. Ike & Tina Turner
6. Eric B & Rakim
7. St. Vincent
8. Donna Summer
9. The Four Tops
10. LL Cool J

Backdoor Wing:
1. Otis Blackwell
2. Goffin & King
3. Anton Corbijn
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

24 hours!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

1. Built to Spill
2. Modest Mouse
3. Fugazi
4. Hot Chip
5. Car Seat Headrest
6. Gorillaz
7. Four Tet
8. Run the Jewels
9. Burial
10. Slint

Backstage wing.
Giorgio Moroder
El-P
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

1. Lana Del Rey
2. Taylor Swift
3. Robyn
4. Kacey Musgraves
5. Vampire Weekend
6. Courtney Barnett
7. Sade
8. Frank Ocean
9. Father John Misty
10.Grimes

Backstage
1. Todd Rundgren
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

This poll is CLOSED.

Sort of. It looks like three performers are locked in, and then there's a tie; and then the Backstage Wing got surprisingly tied up again. I will start a tie-breaker poll tomorrow. As for the results, I think it's better to present everything at once. (Backing Band Inductions didn't pass, anyway.)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Re: Hall of Acclaim 2019 (poll closed)

The winners have all been determined, and I will roll out the results tomorrow morning (i.e. 12+ hours from now).

You're not necessarily supposed to know one of the quotes or references below, but if you do, you'll have figured out one of the performer inductees early.

I feel like I almost died making [redacted] ... The thing you don't have control over is writing--you have to pull it out of yourself, stretch yourself … you pace the room with something like the dry heaves, having no control over the muse, horrified that it won't come. You're always in the desert looking for the oasis ... You have to lay your guts on the table...
This singer was greatly inspired by a part from Jimi Hendrix's "If 6 Was 9" ("I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die / So let me live my life the way I want to"), and made his/her own sort of assertion of it.
Q: What do you do when you’re not together? Does it ever happen? Take vacations away from each other?
A: … We actually we see each other every day in [redacted]. We play golf a little bit, we’ll go to the football game, or we’ll come over--
Q: --I don’t believe this story!
[T]here was a woman who had been sent to the insane asylum ... [then] she created an entire wedding dress out of toilet paper and spit--and it was the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen. So: creators create.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I’m gonna have to wait another year to get Billy Joel in, aren’t I? And he’s gonna lose to an artist who’s been around four decades less than he has, right?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Billy Joel

Some kind words: "[A]s the first disc [of The Essential Billy Joel] unfurls, even cynics may wonder why he's been dogged by the critics, since singer/songwriter pop doesn't come better than 'Say Goodbye to Hollywood,' 'New York State of Mind,' 'Only the Good Die Young,' 'My Life,' 'It's Still Rock and Roll to Me,' 'Don't Ask Me Why,' 'Allentown,' and their seven companions." (Allmusic)

Top 10 rated studio albums (Rate Your Music)
1. The Stranger (#1 Acclaimed Music)
2. 52nd Street (#2 Acclaimed Music)
3. Turnstiles
4 (tie). Glass Houses
4 (tie). The Nylon Curtain
6. An Innocent Man
7. Piano Man
8. Cold Spring Harbor
9. Streetlife Serenade
10. Storm Front

Top rated best-of: The Essential Billy Joel

Top 10 Acclaimed Music songs:
1. Piano Man
2. Just the Way You Are
3. Uptown Girl
4. New York State of Mind
5. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
6. Allentown
7. The Longest Time
8. The River of Dreams
9. Only the Good Die Young
10. I’ve Loved These Days
"I feel like I almost died making The Nylon Curtain," [Billy Joel] said. "The thing you don't have control over is writing--you have to pull it out of yourself, stretch yourself...you pace the room with something like the dry heaves, having no control over the muse, horrified that it won't come. You're always in the desert looking for the oasis, and all that's out there with you is the piano, this big, black beast with 88 teeth. You have to lay your guts on the table and go through them 11 times on an album. Fifty thousand packs of cigarettes later, you start getting it."
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The Four Tops

Some kind words: "[N]othing outside of Phil Spector's epic work for the Righteous Brothers and Ike and Tina Turner rivals the sweep of 'Baby I Need Your Loving,' 'It's the Same Old Song,' 'I Can't Help Myself' or, especially, 'Reach Out I'll Be There' and 'Standing in the Shadows of Love.' On the last two numbers, both released in 1966, the Tops and Motown came of age--cinematic orchestral arrangements, lyrics of an utmost poetic immediacy, and the straining of [Levi] Stubbs's voice toward a pitch of just-short-of-transcendent frustration make for music of spine-tingling intensity." (Rolling Stone)

Top 10 rated studio albums (Rate Your Music):
1. Reach Out (#1 Acclaimed Music)
2. Second Album
3. Main Street People
4. Four Tops
5. Meeting of the Minds
6. Still Waters Run Deep
7. Nature Planned It
8. Keeper of the Castle
9 (tie). Dynamite
9 (tie). Four Tops Now!

Top rated best-of: Anthology (1974)

Top Acclaimed Music songs:
1. Reach Out I'll Be There
2. I Can't Help Myself
3. Baby I Need Your Loving
4. Bernadette
5. It's the Same Old Song
6. Standing in the Shadows of Love
7. 7 Rooms of Gloom
8. Still Water (Love)
9. Ask the Lonely
American Bandstand, 1981
Dick Clark: What do you do when you’re not together? Does it ever happen? Take vacations away from each other?
The Four Tops: … We actually we see each other every day in Detroit. We play golf a little bit, we’ll go to the football game, or we’ll come over--
Dick Clark: --I don’t believe this story! Naw, this can’t be!
The Four Tops: It’s the truth, we see each other. In fact, Lawrence and I [Levi] stay about two blocks from each other; Duke and Obie stay next door!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Fugazi

Some kind words: Fugazi produces "pure, high-intensity punk rock of rare intelligence and artistry without any concession to the tug of commercialism … [Their debut] blends a classic DC-core sensibility with a mature, objective outlook and crisply produced mid-tempo songs that are dynamic, aggressive and accessible. Repeater is a blueprint for the post-hardcore world … [T]heir sound reiterates why punk rock still matters." (Trouser Press/Pitchfork)

Albums, ranked (Acclaimed Music / Rate Your Music for the last three)
1. Repeater
2. The Argument
3. 13 songs [compilation of debut EPs]
4. In on the Kill Taker
5. Red Medicine
6. Steady Diet of Nothing
7. End Hits
8. First Demo [archival]
9. Instrument soundtrack

Top 5 Acclaimed Music songs:
1. Waiting Room
2. Repeater
3. Merchandise
4. Margin Walker
5. Bed for the Scraping
Q: [Y]ou're often looked at as the ultimate DIY punk. You're even admired by people who don't seem to follow your example at all. Is that weird?

Ian MacKaye: No, because I was a Hendrix fan, and he had a deep impact on me, and I certainly didn’t do what he did. In his song "If 6 Was 9," he had the line "I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die / So let me live my life the way I want to." I think most people would agree, especially considering that song was used on the Easy Rider soundtrack, that it was sort of a declaration of the right to be a freak and do whatever drugs you wanted to. But what I heard was exactly what he said—live your life the way you want to—and it deeply inspired me to think about that in my own life and make my own sort of declaration of that.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

St. Vincent

Some kind words: "The smartest indie-rock star of her generation." Over the course of her career through her self-titled album "she has gone from a prodigiously talented, occasionally precious genre-juggler to an assured pop visionary -- establishing herself along the way as a bona fide guitar god" (Rolling Stone)

Albums, ranked (Acclaimed Music / Rate Your Music for the last three)
1. St. Vincent
2. MASSEDUCTION
3. Strange Mercy (#1 Rate Your Music)
4. Actor
5. Marry Me
6. MassEducation
7. Love This Giant (with David Byrne)

Top 10 Acclaimed Music songs:
1. Digital Witness
2. New York
3. Cruel
4. Los Ageless
5. Prince Johnny
6. Birth in Reverse
7. Who
8. Surgeon
9. Krokodil
10. Pills
Creators create. I was at a museum once [in Switzerland] and there was a woman who had been sent to the insane asylum. Her dream in life was that she wanted to get married, and so, she created an entire wedding dress out of toilet paper and spit. And it was the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen. So: creators create; the people have an irresistible urge to make something no matter where they are. They’re going to find a way to build it, make it. And that’s really the thing that drives me the most is a desire to just make things. I just want to make things. And hopefully make great things. And play shows that people may like or dislike, but they won’t forget.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Top Eleven point total:

The Four Tops -- 31 points (tie)
Fugazi -- 31 (tie)
Billy Joel -- 29
St. Vincent -- 27 pts. and fourteen tie-breaker votes

Manic Street Preachers -- 27 pts. and six tie-breaker votes
Tori Amos -- 25
Vampire Weekend -- 24
Donna Summer -- 23
Taylor Swift -- 21
Paul McCartney/Wings -- 19 (tie)
Muse -- 19 (tie)

Backstage Wing:
Gerry Goffin & Carole King -- 6 pts. and thirteen tie-breaker votes
Giorgio Moroder -- 6 pts. and four tie-breaker votes
Todd Rundgren -- 6 pts. and four tie-breaker votes
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wow. Very glad I was proven wrong!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

A lovingly curated rollout, Live in Phoenix, and the quotes amused me- I thought they were all going to be from the same act, which I guessed was St. Vincent based on the "Creators create" anecdote. The Nylon Curtain couldn't have been more stressful for Billy Joel to make than his solo debut when he tried to end it all by drinking furniture polish.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Thanks mileswide. My quotes were intended to cause at least a little bit of confusion. Back in the '90s when I came of age, there were all these lines drawn in publications and interviews over who was cool (practically over who was even supposed to be allowed to record music). So it's kind of funny that I can use some quotes of musicians from different backgrounds and eras, and then a lot of the musicians can sound a little bit like each other -- apparently they can all even sound like someone from a later era than their respective heydays!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I spose it shows that musicians have always resorted to some pretty questionable things in realising their vision, like pushing themselves close to death or playing golf :D
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Here are some stats and trivia. Main page stats are from early 2020.

================================================

Number of Performer inductees: 240

(Number of Performer inductees in Cleveland's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: 227. We have more induction years, but they induct more acts per year, so they will eventually overtake our number.)

Of our non-inductees:

Artists in the top 100 of the AMF All Time Artists List 2019 poll:
Bee Gees (#72)

Additional names (ranked among #102-138):
Gorillaz, Swans, Muse, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Paul McCartney (and Wings), Stereolab, Lana Del Rey, Spiritualized

(Highlighting the disparity between the two polls, the Four Tops tied for first in their induction here, while they fell out of the top 500 in the Artists poll!)

Artists with a top 100 all-time album, main page:
Derek and the Dominos (#89 album)

The Top Artist of the Decade, main page:
1890-1949: Benny Goodman (#7)
(1890s: #1 decade | Sousa's Band)
(1900s: #1 decade | Fisk Jubilee Singers)
(1910s: #1 decade | Original Dixieland Jazz Band)
(1920s: #3 decade | Jelly Roll Morton)
(1930s: #4 decade | Benny Goodman)
(1940s: #5 decade | Louis Jordan)
1950s: Sonny Rollins (#10)
1960s: Nico (#38)
1970s: Rod Stewart (#41)
1980s: Echo and the Bunnymen (#31)
1990s: The Prodigy (#25)
2000s: Yeah Yeah Yeahs (#15)
2010s: Frank Ocean (#3)

Henrik provided the individual decade info for 1890-1949. ("Note: This ranking is based on a somewhat different all-time ranking of albums and songs than the online version.")

Remaining Top 101-200 Artists of All Time, main page:
102. Frank Ocean
116. Vampire Weekend
117. Bon Iver
127. Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
141. Drake
144. Paul McCartney [including Wings]
154. Rod Stewart
165. Spoon
175. Tame Impala
176. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
178. The Prodigy
181. Alice Cooper
185. The xx
189. Herbie Hancock
190. Air [France]
192. Morrissey
194. Manic Street Preachers
198. ANOHNI/Antony and the Johnsons
199. Bee Gees
200. Dire Straits

Quickest inductions, in terms of first ranked acclaim / class year***
***Only meaningfully applies to '60s performers and onward, since we started with the Class of 1960 (i.e. music from 1959)

One year of ranked acclaim:
Björk
Dr. Dre
Guns N' Roses
N.W.A.
Oasis
Portishead
Ramones
The Replacements
The Strokes

Two years of ranked acclaim:
Arcade Fire
The Band
The Beatles
The Clash
Elvis Costello
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Nick Drake
Aretha Franklin
Jimi Hendrix
Massive Attack
Pearl Jam
Pixies
Public Enemy
Sex Pistols
The Smiths
The Stone Roses
The Stooges
The Velvet Underground
The White Stripes
Neil Young

All of the 1st-year inductees got in on the strength of an album. Some of the 2nd-year inductees suffered from a "Love Me Do" situation, where a full-length album wasn't released until their 2nd year of acclaim. Among the two listed groups, some performers' first works went totally unranked, of course.

Quickest inductions, in real time, from first ranked acclaim***
***Only meaningfully applies to performers whose ranked acclaim began in 1999 or later. The class years through 2008 were apparently began and finished in 2008, or finished slightly later ("For over a year in the real world") ("This feature was running back in 2008 under the administering of the old AMF member Schleuse"). But I don't have access to the time-stamped original posts, so there is going to be a lot of "approx."

5 years in real time
Arcade Fire (approx.)
Franz Ferdinand (approx.)
Kendrick Lamar
Sufjan Stevens (approx.)
TV on the Radio (approx.)
Kanye West (approx.)

6 years
The Knife (approx.)
LCD Soundsystem (approx.)

7 years
The Strokes (approx.)

8 years
Coldplay (approx.)
The National
The White Stripes (approx.)

9 years
Animal Collective
M.I.A.
Joanna Newsom

Odd trivia:

Inductees with only one year of ranked acclaim:
Neutral Milk Hotel (Ranked acclaim 1998)
N.W.A. (Ranked acclaim 1988)

Inductees with no ranked albums:
Georges Brassens
Patsy Cline
Merle Haggard
Robert Johnson
George Jones
Lead Belly
Bill Monroe
Édith Piaf
Django Reinhardt
Bessie Smith
Soda Stereo
Hank Williams (11 ranked songs, the most of this group)

Inductees with no ranked songs!
Low (4 ranked albums)

Lowest-ranked inductees, Top Artists of All Time, main page:
Two are ranked just outside the top 1,000.
(The rankings bottom out at 3999. There are no inductees who are Not Ranked.) The two performers were inducted for the classes of 1983 and 2010, respectively. You can put it together from there, if you'd like. I've sorta been accused of "rank shaming" in the past, so I won't be more specific.

Inductee with the oldest ranked acclaim:
Bessie Smith, 1923 ("Downhearted Blues," "T Ain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do")

Some inductees who were passed over the most, since the inaugural Class of 1960
(This is an inexact science, and not a definitive list. Would we work from the endpoint of the performer's career? The end of their ranked acclaim? Their first year of worthy induction? Well, when is that? What about, say, Iggy Pop having no acclaim for a 26-year stretch? I decided to go with the end of a performer's ranked acclaim as a worthy marker. At one time, I had thought Billy Joel's 25 years of neglect was close to some kind of record, but Bessie Smith is the record-holder, and Joel wouldn't make the top 10.)

Passed over 20+ times from end of ranked acclaim:
ABBA
Buzzcocks
Can
Patsy Cline
Cocteau Twins
Cream
Serge Gainsbourg
Genesis
Billy Joel
Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company
B.B. King
King Crimson
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Charlie Parker (ranked acclaim technically ended at 1953)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Django Reinhardt (ranked acclaim technically ended at 1940)
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Wire
(Most future inductees with ranked acclaim ending in the '90s)

Passed over 30+ times from end of ranked acclaim:
Deep Purple -- 30 times
The Grateful Dead -- 30 times
Woody Guthrie -- 31 times (ranked acclaim technically ended at 1951)
Jefferson Airplane -- 38 times
Love -- 33 times
Nina Simone -- 39 times
Van Halen -- 30 times
Yes -- 31 times
(Most future inductees with ranked acclaim ending in the '80s)

Passed over 40+ times from end of ranked acclaim:
Georges Brassens -- 41 times
The Four Tops -- 48 times
Carole King -- 40 times
Ennio Morricone -- 46 times
(Most future inductees with ranked acclaim ending in the '70s)

Passed over 50+ times from end of ranked acclaim:
Nat King Cole -- 54 times (ranked acclaim technically ended at 1957)
Édith Piaf -- 52 times
Bessie Smith -- 57 times (ranked acclaim technically ended at 1931)
(Most future inductees with ranked acclaim ending in the '60s)

Passed over 60+ times from end of ranked acclaim:
(Future inductees with ranked acclaim ending in the '50s or earlier)

The top 10 inductees passed over the most times:
(The max number possible is currently 60 times, with the starting point of the Class of 1960):
1. Bessie Smith -- 57 times
2. Nat King Cole -- 54 times
3. Édith Piaf -- 52 times
4. The Four Tops -- 48 times
5. Ennio Morricone -- 46 times
6. Georges Brassens -- 41 times
7. Carole King -- 40 times
8. Nina Simone -- 39 times
9. Jefferson Airplane -- 38 times
10. Love -- 33 times

The list of inductees, statistical breakdown
The Class of 1960 is the inaugural class. Until very recently, acts were judged by their existing work up to the year before their class induction -- for example, for Miles Davis's Class of 1961 induction, only his work through 1960 counted toward his appraisal. The method of displaying the ranked acclaim is a bit subjective; I considered there to be a gap when there was 7 years or more between ranked acclaim.

ABBA (Class of 2005 / Ranked acclaim 1974 to 1982 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
AC/DC (Class of 1981 / Ranked acclaim 1975 to 1990 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Aerosmith (Class of 2000 / Ranked acclaim 1973 to 1976; 1987 to 2001 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Animal Collective (Class of 2010 / Ranked acclaim 2004 to 2015 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Aphex Twin (Class of 2010 / Ranked acclaim 1991 to 2001; 2014 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Arcade Fire (Class of 2005 / Ranked acclaim 2003 to 2017 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Arctic Monkeys (Class of 2016 / Ranked acclaim 2005 to 2013 / Inducted by forum 2017)
Louis Armstrong (Class of 1962 / Ranked acclaim 1926 to 1938; 1954 to 1967 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Band (Class of 1970 / Ranked acclaim 1968 to 1978 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Alain Bashung (Class of 2014 / Ranked acclaim 1980 to 1982; 1991; 1998 / Inducted by forum 2014)
The Beach Boys (Class of 1965 / Ranked acclaim 1962 to 1973 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Beastie Boys (Class of 1990 / Ranked acclaim 1985 to 2004; 2011 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Beatles (Class of 1964 / Ranked acclaim 1962 to 1970; 1995 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Beck (Class of 1997 / Ranked acclaim 1993 to 2017 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Belle and Sebastian (Class of 2007 / Ranked acclaim 1996 to 2010 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Chuck Berry (Inaugural Class of 1960 / Ranked acclaim 1955 to 1964; 1972 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Beyoncé (Class of 2017 / Ranked acclaim 2003 to 2017 / Inducted by forum 2017)
Big Star (Class of 1975 / Ranked acclaim 1972 to 1978 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Björk (Class of 1994 / Ranked acclaim 1993 to 2017 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Black Sabbath (Class of 1974 / Ranked acclaim 1970 to 1980 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Blondie (Class of 1980 / Ranked acclaim 1976 to 1980; 1999 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Blur (Class of 1995 / Ranked acclaim 1990 to 2003; 2010 to 2015 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
David Bowie (Class of 1973 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1986; 1993 to 1998; 2013 to 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Georges Brassens (Class of 2014 / Ranked acclaim 1952 to 1954; 1962 to 1972 / Inducted by forum 2014)
Jacques Brel (Class of 1970 / Ranked acclaim 1957 to 1968; 1977 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
James Brown (Class of 1964 / Ranked acclaim 1956 to 1985 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Jeff Buckley (Class of 2003 / Ranked acclaim 1994 to 1998 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Kate Bush (Class of 1990 / Ranked acclaim 1978 to 1989; 2005 to 2011 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Buzzcocks (Class of 2006 / Ranked acclaim 1977 to 1979 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Byrds (Class of 1968 / Ranked acclaim 1965 to 1970 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Can (Class of 1999 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1974 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band (Class of 1981 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1980 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Johnny Cash (Class of 1963 / Ranked acclaim 1955 to 1970; 1994 to 2006 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Nick Cave (Class of 1992 / Ranked acclaim 1984 to 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Ray Charles (Class of 1962 / Ranked acclaim 1954 to 1972 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Chemical Brothers (Class of 2000 / Ranked acclaim 1994 to 2005; 2015 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Chic (Class of 1985 / Ranked acclaim 1977 to 1979 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Clash (Class of 1979 / Ranked acclaim 1977 to 1985 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Patsy Cline (Class of 1986 / Ranked acclaim 1957 to 1963 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Cocteau Twins (Class of 2013 / Ranked acclaim 1983 to 1990 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Leonard Cohen (Class of 1972 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1974; 1984 to 1992; 2001; 2012 to 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Coldplay (Class of 2003 / Ranked acclaim 2000 to 2011 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Nat King Cole (Class of 2014 / Ranked acclaim 1941 to 1957 / Inducted by forum 2014)
Ornette Coleman (Class of 2005 / Ranked acclaim 1958 to 1977; 1986 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
John Coltrane (Class of 1963 / Ranked acclaim 1958 to 1966; 1974 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Sam Cooke (Class of 1965 / Ranked acclaim 1957 to 1964; 1985 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Elvis Costello (Class of 1979 / Ranked acclaim 1977 to 1989; 1996 to 1998 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Cream (Class of 1990 / Ranked acclaim 1966 to 1969 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Creedence Clearwater Revival (Class of 1970 / Ranked acclaim 1968 to 1971 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Cure (Class of 1983 / Ranked acclaim 1978 to 1992 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Daft Punk (Class of 2004 / Ranked acclaim 1995 to 2005; 2013 to 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Miles Davis (Class of 1961 / Ranked acclaim 1949 to 1976; 1986 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
De La Soul (Class of 1998 / Ranked acclaim 1988 to 1996; 2005 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Deep Purple (Class of 2015 / Ranked acclaim 1968 to 1974; 1984 / Inducted by forum 2015)
Depeche Mode (Class of 1993 / Ranked acclaim 1981 to 2005 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Bo Diddley (Class of 1965 / Ranked acclaim 1955 to 1962 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
DJ Shadow (Class of 1998 / Ranked acclaim 1993 to 2002; 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Dr. Dre (Class of 1993 / Ranked acclaim 1992 to 1999 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Fats Domino (Class of 1966 / Ranked acclaim 1950 to 1961 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Doors (Class of 1975 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1971 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Nick Drake (Class of 1971 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1972; 1986 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Bob Dylan (Class of 1965 / Ranked acclaim 1962 to 2012 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Eagles (Class of 1999 / Ranked acclaim 1972 to 1979 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Duke Ellington (Class of 1962 / Ranked acclaim 1926 to 1943; 1956 to 1968 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Missy Elliott (Class of 2018 / Ranked acclaim 1997 to 2005; 2015 / Inducted by forum 2019)
Eminem (Class of 2000 / Ranked acclaim 1997 to 2010 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Brian Eno (Class of 2010 / Ranked acclaim 1973 to 1981; 1995; 2008 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Eurythmics (Class of 1999 / Ranked acclaim 1982 to 1987 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Everly Brothers (Class of 1964 / Ranked acclaim 1957 to 1961; 1968; 1984 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Ella Fitzgerald (Class of 1966 / Ranked acclaim 1938 to 1948; 1956 to 1960 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Flaming Lips (Class of 2001 / Ranked acclaim 1993 to 2009 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Fleetwood Mac (Class of 1978 / Ranked acclaim 1968 to 1987 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Foo Fighters (Class of 2016 / Ranked acclaim 1995 to 2011 / Inducted by forum 2017)
The Four Tops (Class of 2019 / Ranked acclaim 1964 to 1970 / Inducted by forum 2020)
Aretha Franklin (Class of 1969 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1973; 1982 to 1985; 1998 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Franz Ferdinand (Class of 2007 / Ranked acclaim 2003 to 2009 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Fugazi (Class of 2019 / Ranked acclaim 1988 to 2001 / Inducted by forum 2020)
Peter Gabriel (Class of 1998 / Ranked acclaim 1977 to 1992 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Serge Gainsbourg (Class of 2009 / Ranked acclaim 1958 to 1984 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Marvin Gaye (Class of 1972 / Ranked acclaim 1962 to 1982 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Genesis (Class of 2013 / Ranked acclaim 1971 to 1986 / Inducted by forum 2013)
The Grateful Dead (Class of 2018 / Ranked acclaim 1968 to 1970; 1987 / Inducted by forum 2019)
Al Green (Class of 1975 / Ranked acclaim 1970 to 1977 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Green Day (Class of 2016 / Ranked acclaim 1994 to 2004 / Inducted by forum 2017)
Guns N’ Roses (Class of 1988 / Ranked acclaim 1987 to 1991; 2008 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Woody Guthrie (Class of 1991 / Ranked acclaim 1940; 1951 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Merle Haggard (Class of 1972 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1973; 1983 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
PJ Harvey (Class of 1994 / Ranked acclaim 1991 to 2000; 2007 to 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Jimi Hendrix (Class of 1968 / Ranked acclaim 1966 to 1970 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Billie Holiday (Class of 1961 / Ranked acclaim 1937 to 1945; 1954 to 1958 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Buddy Holly (Inaugural Class of 1960 / Ranked acclaim 1957 to 1959 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Howlin’ Wolf (Class of 1969 / Ranked acclaim 1951 to 1965 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Hüsker Dü (Class of 1987 / Ranked acclaim 1984 to 1987 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Janet Jackson (Class of 2017 / Ranked acclaim 1986 to 2001; 2015 / Inducted by forum 2017)
Michael Jackson (Class of 1983 / Ranked acclaim 1971 to 1972; 1979 to 2001 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Jam (Class of 1981 / Ranked acclaim 1977 to 1982 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Jay-Z (Class of 2002 / Ranked acclaim 1996 to 2017 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Jefferson Airplane (Class of 2014 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1975 / Inducted by forum 2014)
The Jesus and Mary Chain (Class of 2004 / Ranked acclaim 1984 to 1994 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Billy Joel (Class of 2019 / Ranked acclaim 1973 to 1983; 1993; Inducted by forum 2020)
Elton John (Class of 1982 / Ranked acclaim 1970 to 1976; 1983 to 1985 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Robert Johnson (Class of 1962 / Ranked acclaim 1936 to 1938 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
George Jones (Class of 1993 / Ranked acclaim 1959 to 1962; 1970 to 1980 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company (Class of 1997 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1971 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Joy Division (Class of 1981 / Ranked acclaim 1978 to 1980 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
B. B. King (Class of 2012 / Ranked acclaim 1951 to 1971; 1988 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Carole King (Class of 2012 / Ranked acclaim 1962; 1971 / Inducted by forum 2013)
King Crimson (Class of 2008 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1974; 1981 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Kinks (Class of 1968 / Ranked acclaim 1964 to 1972 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Knife (Class of 2007 / Ranked acclaim 2002 to 2006; 2013 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Kraftwerk (Class of 1979 / Ranked acclaim 1974 to 1983 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Fela Kuti (Class of 1980 / Ranked acclaim 1972 to 1981 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Kendrick Lamar (Class of 2016 / Ranked acclaim 2012 to 2017 / Inducted by forum 2017)
LCD Soundsystem (Class of 2008 / Ranked acclaim 2002 to 2010; 2017 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Lead Belly (Class of 1977 / Ranked acclaim 1934 to 1942 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Led Zeppelin (Class of 1972 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1979; 1990; 2003 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
John Lennon (Class of 1974 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1980; 1984 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Jerry Lee Lewis (Class of 1963 / Ranked acclaim 1957 to 1964 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Little Richard (Class of 1961 / Ranked acclaim 1955 to 1958; 1965 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Love (Class of 2001 / Ranked acclaim 1966 to 1967 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Low (Class of 2015 / Ranked acclaim 1994 to 2005 / Inducted by forum 2015)
Lynyrd Skynyrd (Class of 2006 / Ranked acclaim 1973 to 1977 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
M.I.A. (Class of 2011 / Ranked acclaim 2004 to 2015 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Madonna (Class of 1986 / Ranked acclaim 1983 to 2005 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Bob Marley and the Wailers (Class of 1974 / Ranked acclaim 1964 to 1980; 1983 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Massive Attack (Class of 1992 / Ranked acclaim 1990 to 1998 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Curtis Mayfield (Class of 1978 / Ranked acclaim 1970 to 1975 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Metallica (Class of 1988 / Ranked acclaim 1983 to 1996 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Charles Mingus (Class of 1966 / Ranked acclaim 1953 to 1964; 1972 to 1976 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Joni Mitchell (Class of 1973 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1976 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Thelonious Monk (Class of 1967 / Ranked acclaim 1948 to 1963 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Bill Monroe (Class of 1969 / Ranked acclaim 1940; 1947 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Ennio Morricone (Class of 2015 / Ranked acclaim 1966 to 1968 / Inducted by forum 2015)
Van Morrison (Class of 1971 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1979; 1986 to 1989 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
My Bloody Valentine (Class of 1992 / Ranked acclaim 1988 to 1991; 2013 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Nas (Class of 2000 / Ranked acclaim 1994 to 2002 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The National (Class of 2011 / Ranked acclaim 2005 to 2017 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Willie Nelson (Class of 1984 / Ranked acclaim 1974 to 1983 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Neutral Milk Hotel (Class of 2001 / Ranked acclaim 1998 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
New Order (Class of 1985 / Ranked acclaim 1981 to 1993; 2001 to 2005; 2015 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Randy Newman (Class of 1988 / Ranked acclaim 1968 to 1983; 1999; 2007 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Joanna Newsom (Class of 2013 / Ranked acclaim 2004 to 2015 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Nine Inch Nails (Class of 2004 / Ranked acclaim 1989 to 2007 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Nirvana (Class of 1992 / Ranked acclaim 1988 to 1994; 2002 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Notorious B.I.G. (Class of 1998 / Ranked acclaim 1994 to 1997 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
N.W.A. (Class of 1989 / Ranked acclaim 1988 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Oasis (Class of 1995 / Ranked acclaim 1994 to 2008 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Roy Orbison (Class of 1964 / Ranked acclaim 1956 to 1964; 1989 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
OutKast (Class of 2001 / Ranked acclaim 1993 to 2007 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Parliament/Funkadelic (Class of 1976 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1979 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Charlie Parker (Class of 1980 / Ranked acclaim 1945 to 1953 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Gram Parsons (Class of 1976 / Ranked acclaim 1973 to 1974 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Pavement (Class of 1995 / Ranked acclaim 1991 to 1999 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Pearl Jam (Class of 1993 / Ranked acclaim 1991 to 1999; 2006 to 2013 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Pet Shop Boys (Class of 1991 / Ranked acclaim 1985 to 1999; 2013 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Class of 2018 / Ranked acclaim 1976 to 1994 / Inducted by forum 2019)
Édith Piaf (Class of 2013 / Ranked acclaim 1940 to 1951; 1958 to 1960 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Pink Floyd (Class of 1974 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1983; 1994 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Pixies (Class of 1989 / Ranked acclaim 1987 to 1991 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Pogues (Class of 1991 / Ranked acclaim 1984 to 1988 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Police (Class of 1982 / Ranked acclaim 1978 to 1983 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Iggy Pop (Class of 2011 / Ranked acclaim 1977; 1986 to 1990; 2016 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Portishead (Class of 1995 / Ranked acclaim 1994 to 1997; 2008 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Elvis Presley (Inaugural Class of 1960 / Ranked acclaim 1954 to 1972 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Pretenders (Class of 1982 / Ranked acclaim 1979 to 1986; 1994 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Primal Scream (Class of 2004 / Ranked acclaim 1986 to 2006 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Prince (Class of 1983 / Ranked acclaim 1979 to 1994; 2006 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Public Enemy (Class of 1989 / Ranked acclaim 1987 to 1994 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Pulp (Class of 1996 / Ranked acclaim 1991 to 2001; 2013 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Queen (Class of 1982 / Ranked acclaim 1973 to 1991 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Queens of the Stone Age (Class of 2003 / Ranked acclaim 1998 to 2017 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Radiohead (Class of 1996 / Ranked acclaim 1992 to 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Rage Against the Machine (Class of 2012 / Ranked acclaim 1992 to 1999 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Ramones (Class of 1977 / Ranked acclaim 1976 to 1980; 1985; 1995 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (Class of 2006 / Ranked acclaim 1989 to 2006; 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Otis Redding (Class of 1967 / Ranked acclaim 1962 to 1970 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Lou Reed (Class of 1976 / Ranked acclaim 1972 to 1982; 1989 to 1992 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Django Reinhardt (Class of 1983 / Ranked acclaim 1937 to 1940 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
R.E.M. (Class of 1984 / Ranked acclaim 1981 to 2004 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Replacements (Class of 1985 / Ranked acclaim 1984 to 1990 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (Class of 1966 / Ranked acclaim 1960 to 1967 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Rolling Stones (Class of 1967 / Ranked acclaim 1964 to 1994; 2012 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Roxy Music (Class of 1975 / Ranked acclaim 1972 to 1982 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Run-D.M.C. (Class of 1987 / Ranked acclaim 1983 to 1988 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Santana (Class of 2011 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1972; 1989; 1998 to 1999 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Sex Pistols (Class of 1978 / Ranked acclaim 1976 to 1978 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Sigur Rós (Class of 2009 / Ranked acclaim 1999 to 2013 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Paul Simon (Class of 1987 / Ranked acclaim 1972 to 1990; 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Simon and Garfunkel (Class of 1969 / Ranked acclaim 1965 to 1970; 1975 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Nina Simone (Class of 2009 / Ranked acclaim 1958 to 1969 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Frank Sinatra (Class of 1961 / Ranked acclaim 1940 to 1946; 1953 to 1969; 1980 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Siousxie and the Banshees (Class of 2012 / Ranked acclaim 1978 to 1991 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Sleater-Kinney (Class of 2005 / Ranked acclaim 1996 to 2005; 2014 to 2015 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Sly and the Family Stone (Class of 1970 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1973 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Smashing Pumpkins (Class of 1994 / Ranked acclaim 1990 to 1998 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Bessie Smith (Class of 2017 / Ranked acclaim 1923 to 1931 / Inducted by forum 2017)
Elliott Smith (Class of 1999 / Ranked acclaim 1995 to 2004 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Patti Smith (Class of 1977 / Ranked acclaim 1974 to 1979; 1988; 1996 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Smiths (Class of 1985 / Ranked acclaim 1983 to 1987 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Soda Stereo (Class of 2010 / Ranked acclaim 1985 to 1990 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Sonic Youth (Class of 1989 / Ranked acclaim 1984 to 1995; 2002 to 2006 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Specials (Class of 1987 / Ranked acclaim 1979 to 1984 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Dusty Springfield (Class of 2009 / Ranked acclaim 1963 to 1969; 1987 to 1989 / Inducted by forum 2013)
Bruce Springsteen (Class of 1976 / Ranked acclaim 1973 to 2010 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Steely Dan (Class of 1979 / Ranked acclaim 1972 to 1980 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Sufjan Stevens (Class of 2007 / Ranked acclaim 2003 to 2015 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Stone Roses (Class of 1990 / Ranked acclaim 1988 to 1994 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Stooges (Class of 1971 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1973 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Strokes (Class of 2002 / Ranked acclaim 2001 to 2011 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
St. Vincent (Class of 2019 / Ranked acclaim 2009 to 2017 / Inducted by forum 2020)
Suede (Class of 1997 / Ranked acclaim 1992 to 1996 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Supremes (Class of 1986 / Ranked acclaim 1964 to 1970 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
T. Rex (Class of 1988 / Ranked acclaim 1970 to 1973 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Talk Talk (Class of 1994 / Ranked acclaim 1984 to 1991 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Talking Heads (Class of 1980 / Ranked acclaim 1977 to 1988 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Television (Class of 1978 / Ranked acclaim 1975 to 1978 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Temptations (Class of 1973 / Ranked acclaim 1964 to 1972 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
A Tribe Called Quest (Class of 1997 / Ranked acclaim 1990 to 1993; 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
TV on the Radio (Class of 2008 / Ranked acclaim 2003 to 2008 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
U2 (Class of 1984 / Ranked acclaim 1980 to 2009 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Van Halen (Class of 2017 / Ranked acclaim 1978 to 1986 / Inducted by forum 2017)
The Velvet Underground (Class of 1968 / Ranked acclaim 1966 to 1970; 1974; 1985 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Tom Waits (Class of 1984 / Ranked acclaim 1973 to 1992; 1999 to 2011 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Scott Walker (Class of 1996 / Ranked acclaim 1967 to 1969; 1984; 1995; 2006; 2014 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Muddy Waters (Class of 1963 / Ranked acclaim 1948 to 1964; 1977 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Weezer (Class of 2018 / Ranked acclaim 1994 to 2008 / Inducted by forum 2019)
Kanye West (Class of 2006 / Ranked acclaim 2003 to 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The White Stripes (Class of 2002 / Ranked acclaim 2000 to 2007 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
The Who (Class of 1967 / Ranked acclaim 1964 to 1982 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Wilco (Class of 2003 / Ranked acclaim 1996 to 2016 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Hank Williams (Inaugural Class of 1960 / Ranked acclaim 1947 to 1953 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Wire (Class of 2002 / Ranked acclaim 1977 to 1979 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Stevie Wonder (Class of 1973 / Ranked acclaim 1963 to 1985 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Wu-Tang Clan (Class of 1996 / Ranked acclaim 1992 to 2000 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
X (Class of 1986 / Ranked acclaim 1978 to 1987 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
XTC (Class of 1991 / Ranked acclaim 1978 to 1992; 1999 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Yes (Class of 2015 / Ranked acclaim 1971 to 1973; 1983 / Inducted by forum 2015)
Neil Young (Class of 1971 / Ranked acclaim 1969 to 1979; 1989 to 1995; 2010 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention (Class of 1977 / Ranked acclaim 1966 to 1982 / Inducted by forum c.2008)
Warren Zevon (Class of 2008 / Ranked acclaim 1976 to 1978; 2003 / Inducted by forum c.2008)

Backstage Wing:

Steve Albini (Class of 1995)
Burt Bacharach and Hal David (Class of 1970)
Lester Bangs (Class of 1974)
Irving Berlin (Class of 1985)
Rodney Bingenheimer (Class of 2018)
Chris Blackwell (Class of 2010)
Booker T. & the MG’s (Class of 2006)
Leonard Chess (Class of 1983)
Robert Christgau (Class of 1997)
Miles and Ian Copeland (Class of 1985)
Ry Cooder (???) (Class of 1998?)
Willie Dixon (Class of 1970)
DJ Kool Herc (Class of 1984)
Brian Eno (Class of 1982)
Brian Epstein (Class of 1969)
Michael and Stephen Thomas Erlewine (Class of 2007)
Ahmet Ertegun (Class of 1968)
David Fincher (Class of 1997)
Henrik Franzon (Class of 2005)
Alan Freed (Class of 1961)
Dave Fridmann (Class of 2004)
Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff (Class of 1990)
George Gershwin (Class of 1971)
Gerry Goffin and Carole King (Class of 2019)
Nick Gold (Class of 1999)
Michel Gondry (Class of 2001)
Berry Gordy (Class of 1967)
Norman Granz (Class of 1993)
John Hammond (Class of 1973)
Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland (Class of 1979)
Nicky Hopkins (Class of 2002)
Jimmy Iovine (Class of 2011)
Quincy Jones (Class of 2000)
Spike Jonze (Class of 1996)
Casey Kasem (Class of 2016)
Hilly Kristal (Class of 1981)
Larry Levan (Class of 1998)
Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller (Class of 1963)
Alan Lomax (Class of 1972)
Greil Marcus (Class of 2015)
George Martin (Class of 1966)
Malcolm McLaren (Class of 1978)
Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section (Class of 2012)
Les Paul (Class of 1976)
Bruce Pavitt (Class of 1992)
John Peel (Class of 1986)
D.A. Pennebaker (Class of 1977)
Lee “Scratch” Perry (Class of 1980)
Sam Phillips (Inaugural Class of 1960)
Cole Porter (Class of 1962)
Rick Rubin (Class of 1987)
Ryan Schreiber (Class of 2013)
Martin Scorsese (Class of 2008)
Harry Smith (Class of 1964)
Phil Spector (Class of 1965)
Timbaland (Class of 2003)
Rudy Van Gelder (Class of 1995)
Ivo Watts-Russell (Class of 1994)
Jann Wenner (Class of 1975)
Jerry Wexler (Class of 1991)
Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong (Class of 1988)
Pharrell Williams (Class of 2017)
The Wrecking Crew (Class of 2014)

Backstage Wing ties: 1970, 1985, 1995, 1997
Backstage Wing vacancies: 1989, 2009

Note: I have nothing proving that Ry Cooder was ever inducted into the Backstage Wing. The closest thing I found is schleuse's comment for the 1999 backstage wing winner ("for the second year in a row this slot is filled by a mover behind Buena Vista Social Club"). Yet for 1998, the "dance music pioneer" Larry Levan was inducted. The quote I mentioned would apply to Cooder, but not to Levan. I am awkwardly forced to assume that Cooder got in through a tie vote (or Cooder beat out Levan?), even though I have no evidence of this...
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

As mentioned elsewhere, the AMF Hall of Acclaim, sort of like Cleveland's R&R Hall of Fame Class of 2021, is going to be late, just because I don't want to work on it anytime soon. By the way, as I sometimes mention, I wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to take over the Hall of Acclaim, though I also don't mind doing it every year either.

In the meantime, if you'd like, you can look at a bunch of induction and non-induction trivia that I compiled earlier this year, contained in the post above.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

I shouldn't put this off for too long, since the idea is that you're supposed to vote on music released through the end of 2020, and ignore 2021. I noticed an old JimmyJazz post for 2015's Hall where he opened up voting for all of February; so I will likely follow that model and open up voting in a week. Again, if you scroll upward a little, you can look at a bunch of Hall trivia that's slightly dated at this point, but will suffice until God knows if or when I update it.
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks for running this, Live in Phoenix! And amazing stats above!!!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”