A Bit of Help With My Listening List

Holden
Never Going Back Again

A Bit of Help With My Listening List

Post by Holden »

Hello, Holden here! As most people here do, I keep track of all of the albums I listen to, and I have listened to 393 since I started keeping track on November 1st. Every day, I listen to the next album of AM that I haven't heard, followed by any albums for any polls such as Moderately Acclaimed, followed by albums of my choice. However, I have recently realized how centered around modern music (2010s) this has been. For example, here is the decade breakdown:
1940s: 2
1950s: 4
1960s: 36
1970s: 59
1980s: 31
1990s: 43
2000s: 41
2010s: 150
2020s: 27

So I decided to devise away to organize the AM list and tailor it to help boost these underrepresented decades. I made up a formula that uses the AM rank, the amount of albums I've heard in any given decade and year and then spits out a score and rank that orders them. What I'm most proud of is that it updates with every album I listen to, I just enter in an additional album and then it reorders the list! My new rule is to listen to the first five albums on the list before being able to select albums to listen to. This may sound unrealistic, but with the quarantine I am having no trouble at all with this. I usually am able to listen to eight albums a day now.

However, I would like to implement 2018 and 2019 albums into the ranking, but I don't know how! They don't have an AM rank, so any advice on how to basically give them one would be awesome!

Also, here is the spreadsheet if anyone would like to dissect it a bit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Holden on Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: A Bit of Help With My Listening List

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Wow, what a brilliant idea! Except for one thing... do you have any way of automatically updating the values in the DM and YM columns, or do you have to manually update the values for each album in a given year/decade? That should be easy if you just sort by year, but I figure there might be a somewhat more convenient way to do that?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 am Wow, what a brilliant idea! Except for one thing... do you have any way of automatically updating the values in the DM and YM columns, or do you have to manually update the values for each album in a given year/decade? That should be easy if you just sort by year, but I figure there might be a somewhat more convenient way to do that?
Alright, I've automated it a bit more! Now there is a second sheet with all of the dates and counts. All I do is add one to the year of an album I listen to, and then the whole sheet updates!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I will probably make one of these for myself whenever the next site update arrives. And looking at your spreadsheet, there's a lot of albums on there where I keep thinking "forget the order, you need to listen to this right now!" :mrgreen:
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:04 pm I will probably make one of these for myself whenever the next site update arrives. And looking at your spreadsheet, there's a lot of albums on there where I keep thinking "forget the order, you need to listen to this right now!" :mrgreen:
Out of sheer curiosity, want to provide some examples?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Holden wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:27 pm
Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:04 pm I will probably make one of these for myself whenever the next site update arrives. And looking at your spreadsheet, there's a lot of albums on there where I keep thinking "forget the order, you need to listen to this right now!" :mrgreen:
Out of sheer curiosity, want to provide some examples?
Okay, here's a few suggestions:
Maxinquaye
Illmatic
Cosmo's Factory
Fear of Music
Like a Prayer
Since I Left You
Another Green World
Station to Station
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I don't know about Sweepstakes Ron, but the ones I would push up quickly would be:

Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

For those of you who weren't wondering, a bit of an update: my new listening stats by decade:
1940s: 3
1950s: 10
1960s: 50
1970s: 73
1980s: 44
1990s: 55
2000s: 47
2010s: 150
2020s: 27
Total: 459

For the albums acroamor and Sweepstakes Ron recommended, I listened to some of the shorter ones. I haven't really been feeling that fast of a listening pace lately, but here are my opinions on the ones you recommended, all very good:
Maxinquaye: 9/10, not as amazing as some of the other trip hop legends, but still amazing.
Illmatic: 10/10, quite possibly my new favorite hip hop record of the 90s? I do love The Low End Theory quite a bit, however. Having also listened to albums like The Chronic when they landed in my list, it was really refreshing to hear a 90s hip hop record not being incredibly misogynistic every few seconds. This is something that really gets on my nerves about a lot of hip hop, I left The Chronic and The Marshall Mathers LP with a sick feeling in my stomach. I understand that it is sometimes satirical, but seriously, it gets under my skin.
Another Green World: 10/10, a pretty amazing ambient record, I'll leave it at that.
Station to Station: 8/10, not my favorite Bowie album, but pretty great when you compare it to albums that aren't David Bowie!
Turn on the Bright Lights: 8/10, I did enjoy it, but I'm seeming to get a bit bored of this genre in general, which of course isn't Interpol's fault! It has kept me engrossed and I've been continuing to go back to it every once in a while, it does set itself apart very well and this rating will likely go up soon!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Have to say, it's really fun to see anonymous users pop up while I'm updating my lists!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Holden wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:40 pm Have to say, it's really fun to see anonymous users pop up while I'm updating my lists!
Not gonna lie, 90% of the time it's probably just me. :mrgreen: I guess I'm especially into it because I'm excited to start my own version, but I'm still waiting for several things to occur before then.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”