What Album Is Too Low on AM?

Holden
Never Going Back Again

What Album Is Too Low on AM?

Post by Holden »

If there was one single album on AM that you think is too low, what album is it? My pick is Soundgarden’s Badmotorfinger.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: What Album Is Too Low on AM?

Post by PlasticRam »

808s and Heartbreak by Kanye. I predict it will rise in the rankings in the years to come.
I feel like that
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Whitechocolatespaceegg by Liz Phair. Think it came in last EVEN AS A BUBBLER for that year so it narrowly edged out another all time fave, Someone to Drive You Home by the Long Blondes and Supergrass’ Life on Other Planets which I also think ended up as one of the last bubblers for that year.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Pretty much anything from the WonderStuff 80s/early 90s catalogue, Fountains of Wayne’s Welcome Interstate Managers, Suede’s Coming Up....yeah I get it, it’s the first without their acclaimed guitarist but they still pull it off. Sleater-Kinney’s One Beat, PJ Harvey’s Is This Desire, Sinead O Connors Lion and the Cobra, Anything from Chameleons, all off the top of my head. There’s PLENTY that didn’t even make the ranking.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Anything by Sleater-Kinney
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

Pretty much everything by Swans, but especially Soundtracks for The Blind is unbelievably low
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My knee-jerk snarky reaction is "anything that's ranked lower on AM than my personal rankings" but instead I'll use this space to make my perennial plug for:

The Verlaines - Bird Dog

A top 10 album for me, completely unrecognized on AM.

Thanks!
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

StevieFan13 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 pm Anything by Sleater-Kinney
This I agree with in a big way. If you asked me who I thought were the two greatest bands ever, I’m easily saying The Velvet Underground and Sleater-Kinney.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Summerteeth by Wilco is a top 20 album of all time in my book.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Cold Butterfly wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:13 pm
StevieFan13 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 pm Anything by Sleater-Kinney
This I agree with in a big way. If you asked me who I thought were the two greatest bands ever, I’m easily saying The Velvet Underground and Sleater-Kinney.
I gathered the former. Dig Me Out should be in the top 300 at least, not brushing the top 500. The Woods too.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
ArcadeFire
Wannabe

Post by ArcadeFire »

Vampire Weekend - Contra
The Wrens - The Meadowlands
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

If you look at the RYM top 100 or so compared to the AM list Fishmans are probably the least represented by critics, with the highest ranked live album on RYM and a studio album in the top 100, neither of which are anywhere to be found on the AM list, and probably never will be (although this can be explained by them being a somewhat obscure group who mainly gained traction online only in the last ten years or so). If anyone hasn't heard the live version of Long Season, I would definitely reccommend it.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Nick wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:09 pm Summerteeth by Wilco is a top 20 album of all time in my book.
Maybe not that high for me, but a 10/10 album for me, definitely deserves higher!
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Jap123 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:08 pm If you look at the RYM top 100 or so compared to the AM list Fishmans are probably the least represented by critics, with the highest ranked live album on RYM and a studio album in the top 100, neither of which are anywhere to be found on the AM list, and probably never will be (although this can be explained by them being a somewhat obscure group who mainly gained traction online only in the last ten years or so). If anyone hasn't heard the live version of Long Season, I would definitely reccommend it.
Link? I just discovered Long Season testing out Sonemic this week and love it. Fishmans and Swans (and of course Radiohead) are all over their lists. It's interesting also how similar BEA and RYM are, both including a lot of the same songs/albums/artists that don't have a lot of traction on this site.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Brad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:46 pm My knee-jerk snarky reaction is "anything that's ranked lower on AM than my personal rankings" but instead I'll use this space to make my perennial plug for:

The Verlaines - Bird Dog

Thanks!
I love that album too. A good kiwi band!

The albums that come to mind for me are:

- Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030: Current Ranking = Bubbling Under
- UNKLE - Psyence Fiction: Current ranking = 2415
- Nightmares On Wax - Smokers' Delight: Current ranking = Bubbling Under (It only just fell off the chart when one of the last few the last updates were made)
- Handsome Boy Modeling School - So How's Your Girl?: Current Ranking = Bubbling under
- Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - ACME: Current Ranking = Bubbling Under
- The Chills - Submarine Bells: Current Ranking = Bubbling Under
- The Bats - Daddy's Highway: Current Ranking = Bubbling Under
Last edited by Madzong on Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

andyd1010 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:17 pm
Jap123 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:08 pm If you look at the RYM top 100 or so compared to the AM list Fishmans are probably the least represented by critics, with the highest ranked live album on RYM and a studio album in the top 100, neither of which are anywhere to be found on the AM list, and probably never will be (although this can be explained by them being a somewhat obscure group who mainly gained traction online only in the last ten years or so). If anyone hasn't heard the live version of Long Season, I would definitely reccommend it.
Link? I just discovered Long Season testing out Sonemic this week and love it. Fishmans and Swans (and of course Radiohead) are all over their lists. It's interesting also how similar BEA and RYM are, both including a lot of the same songs/albums/artists that don't have a lot of traction on this site.
I just finished listening to Long Season solely because of this thread. Wow. What a treat. It's a real shame that it's nowhere to be found on AM, though I fully understand why an obscure Japanese dream pop/post-rock band from the 90s wouldn't be making a whole lot of recent lists.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Brad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:46 pm
The Verlaines - Bird Dog

Thanks!
If you love the Dunedin Sound / Flying Nun, then I would recommend:

The Bats - Daddy's Highway
The Chills- Submarine Bells
The Clean - Boodle Boodle Boodle / OR / The Clean Anthology
Toy Love - Toy Love
The 3D's - The Venus Trail
Straitjacket Fits - Hail
Straitjacket Fits - Melt

And a more recent addition:

The Mint Chicks - Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! (One of the guys from this band went on to form Unknown Mortal Orchestra)

The reason these bands don't really rate well on Acclaimed Music is that there are so few critics lists here in New Zealand (Safety Cat has also noted this too). Sadly most NZ music publications have folded as well and what few lists I have found have less than 20 songs or albums, so would not qualify for this site.

I have found a few older lists but these haven't been included in the recent site updates as these have just included newer lists.

Oh well...
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

madzong wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:51 amIf you love the Dunedin Sound / Flying Nun, then I would recommend:

Toy Love - Toy Love
Straitjacket Fits - Hail
Straitjacket Fits - Melt

The Mint Chicks - Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! (One of the guys from this band went on to form Unknown Mortal Orchestra)
Thanks man - I know most of these intimately - I actually saw The Bats and The Chills on the their respective U.S. tours for those albums (then the Chills again for Soft Bomb tour), Straitjacket Fits for Melt tour, and Chris Knox solo in the early '90's (my garage band in the old days covered "Sheep" and "Don't Ask Me" from Toy Love). Agree - all great (also have seen the Verlaines 5 times - huge fan).

This stuff flared up mildly in the in the U.S. college music circuit around the time I joined our college radio station in '88... I got heavily into it and never let go.

I'm not sure I've heard the 3D's outside of compilations so I'll go back and check that out... also, The Mint Chicks sounds familiar but will check it out. Thanks for the list... hoping others will explore these great sounds as well!
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Brad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:37 pm
madzong wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:51 amIf you love the Dunedin Sound / Flying Nun, then I would recommend:

Toy Love - Toy Love
Straitjacket Fits - Hail
Straitjacket Fits - Melt

Thanks man - I know most of these intimately - I actually saw The Bats and The Chills on the their respective U.S. tours for those albums (then the Chills again for Soft Bomb tour), Straitjacket Fits for Melt tour, and Chris Knox solo in the early '90's (my garage band in the old days covered "Sheep" and "Don't Ask Me" from Toy Love). Agree - all great (also have seen the Verlaines 5 times - huge fan).

This stuff flared up mildly in the in the U.S. college music circuit around the time I joined our college radio station in '88... I got heavily into it and never let go.

I'm not sure I've heard the 3D's outside of compilations so I'll go back and check that out... also, The Mint Chicks sounds familiar but will check it out. Thanks for the list... hoping others will explore these great sounds as well!
No worries :) it's just nice to have a fellow fan!

I hope you enjoy!

Also:

- JPS Experience - Bleeding Star (Originally called the Jean-Paul Sartre Experience - but had to change name to avoid being sued)
- The Headless Chickens - Body Blow (the 1993 version is probably the better choice) / Or / Chickens Hits
- Look Blue Go Purple - Bewitched (EP)
- Look Blue Go Purple - LBGPEP2 (EP)
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull. It's a travesty that there is not a single trace of Earth on AM
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

https://open.spotify.com/track/61QOvLPX4kjn3TQ7OJV2dL

No better way to spend 40 minutes
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K&D Sessions (1998)
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Holden wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:12 pm
Nick wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:09 pm Summerteeth by Wilco is a top 20 album of all time in my book.
Maybe not that high for me, but a 10/10 album for me, definitely deserves higher!
I agree. While Yankee Hotel Foxtrot gets most of the attention Summerteeth is a far better album.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Zombeels wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:18 pm
Holden wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:12 pm
I agree. While Yankee Hotel Foxtrot gets most of the attention Summerteeth is a far better album.
I consistently put YHF in my top 10 albums, while I think Summerteeth is around Top 40, but both are utterly awesome!
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Where are the AM charts anyway. Anyone have a link? Not easy to find on the board index.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Zombeels wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:20 pm Where are the AM charts anyway. Anyone have a link? Not easy to find on the board index.
The AM top 3,000 albums chart and top 10,000 songs chart are on the front page of the website. They are located on the left hand side of the page.

http://acclaimedmusic.net/

If instead you meant the forum polls, those are located here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3
OttoSlade
Superunknown

Post by OttoSlade »

"No Control" by Bad Religion
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
The Style Counsel - Our Favourite Shop
Utopia - Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Yes - The Yes Album
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Lynyrd Synyrd - Street Survivors
Journey - Infinity
Joe Jackson - I'm the Man
Genesis - Duke
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Aliens
Steve Winwood - Arc of a Diver
The Pretenders - Learning to Crawl
The Beat - Special Beat Service
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears
Squeeze - East Side Story
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Nick wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:40 pm
Zombeels wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:20 pm Where are the AM charts anyway. Anyone have a link? Not easy to find on the board index.
The AM top 3,000 albums chart and top 10,000 songs chart are on the front page of the website. They are located on the left hand side of the page.

http://acclaimedmusic.net/

If instead you meant the forum polls, those are located here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3
thank You. I've never seen that page. I've just been at the forums.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Screaming Trees - Dust
Stereo MC's - Connected
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Nick wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:15 am
I just finished listening to Long Season solely because of this thread. Wow. What a treat. It's a real shame that it's nowhere to be found on AM, though I fully understand why an obscure Japanese dream pop/post-rock band from the 90s wouldn't be making a whole lot of recent lists.
I'm adding my name to the "just now discovered Long Season" list, although it's because of RYM. It was the only album in their top 100 that I hadn't heard. I'm not sure if they recently changed their ranking algorithm or what, because I don't think I'd ever seen it on any of their charts before.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”