Collaborative playlist for the AMF top 1000 albums

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Collaborative playlist for the AMF top 1000 albums

Post by Rob »

Hello everyone.
There is some interest in a playlist for the album top 1000 that is currently unfolding. During the last All Time Album poll of 2017 I made a playlist containing one song from each album. I've been toying with the idea of making a playlist for this year too, but after having made a lot of playlists for this forum already I'm a little burned out in using the same methods each time. But I got a fun idea for this new poll: let's make a playlist together.

This is how I see it:
- Every album gets two songs on the playlist.
- I make a start by picking the two songs on objective criteria. First I'll check our official AM song list to see if any of the album songs ranks. The two highest ranking will make the list. If it has no (two) songs ranking I'll pick the songs with the highest amount of streams on Spotify. Basically my standard procedure in list making.
- Then it's time for you all to take the stage. After each update on the playlist people can suggest new songs to replace the ones already in the playlist. The twist is that only people who voted for the album on their own list can vote for songs on the playlist. These people can suggest up to two songs. The suggestions will always replace the current songs based on amount of votes, so if you are fine with the songs already present just mention these. Eventually we should create a playlist based on fan votes. People can vote whenever they want; I'll keep updating the playlist until people lose interest.
- Why the first, objective step? To make sure every album has two songs regardless of whether the fans step in.

An example for how this might work.
Our #1000 is Talk Talk Talk by The Psychedelic Furs.
- First I check AM. Only one song from the album ranks, being Pretty in Pink. I add it to the playlist.
- Secondly I check Spotify. The song with the most streams after Pretty in Pink is Dumb Waiters. It also gets added to the playlist.
- Now Michel has voted for the album on his list and thinks, "Hey, Pretty in Pink is indeed great, but after that the best song is obviously Into You Like a Train", so he votes for Pretty in Pink and Into You Like a Train. I remove Dumb Waiters and add Into You Like a Train.
- Then Mr. X and Mrs Y, both voters on the album, come along and say: "What the hell, the album is great, but Pretty in Pink and Into You Like a Train actually suck! We think I Wanna Sleep With You and She Is Mine should be on the playlist". That's two votes for these songs, so they make the list, while the two other ones are removed.
- In case of a tie objectivity sets in again. So if Mr. Z comes along and says "Pretty in Pink should be back in, along with No Tears", there are suddenly three songs that have two points. Only two can be in the list, so I'll go back to the AM list and that decides that Pretty in Pink wins. From the two other songs with two points, She is Mine has the most streams, so that becomes the second entry of the playlist.
- Just to add: if I am one of the voters on the album I'm just gonna bypass the objective first step and add my two favorites and we go along from there, just for me to save some time.

It's a lot of work perhaps, but we can take or time and it seems fun to work on a collaborative playlist for once, based completely around recommendations of fans. What do you think? Is the method clear?
mileswide
Full of Fire

Re: Collaborative playlist for the AMF top 1000 albums

Post by mileswide »

It seems clear to me now as long as I've understood correctly!

Here in bold are my votes for the first 10 albums of mine to make the top 1000, quite happy to be outvoted on any of my choices:

Felt Mountain- Lovely Head and Utopia are the top 2 on AM and in my affections, so no need to change.
16 Lovers Lane- Love Goes on! is the album's sole entrant on my AT songs list but also #2 from the album on AM.
Visions of a Life- by any metric, Don't Delete the Kisses triumphs here but Yuk Foo's a great change of pace.
We Insist!- due respect to Driva Man but I insist on Triptych!
Moanin' in the Moonlight- Smokestack Lightning and Evil would've been my picks but AM got there before me.
The Marble Index- Lawns of Dawn gets the crown.
Playing with a Different Sex- It's obvious Armagh should get the nod.
Shaking the Habitual- Old Dreams Waiting to Be Realised seems to get most of the album's bad press but I was entranced from first listen.
Damaged- Padded Cell goes in hard.
Miss E- 4 My People for my muthafuckin clubheads, you feel me?

I'll leave it there for now to let others comment!
All I got inside is vacancy!
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'll toss in a few votes for my albums:

Mitski - Bury Me at Makeout Creek: "Texas Reznikoff", I think the best distillation of the album's sound.
Deafheaven - Sunbather: "Irresistible", naturally "Dream House" will (and should) make the list, but one of their softer songs deserves the honor as well.
Mitski - Puberty 2: "My Body's Made of Crushed Little Stars", a live wire of energy
Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps: "Scott Street", a fan favorite with an utterly gorgeous outro
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced: "Things Goin' On", there are definitely other tracks on the album that will likely take precedence, but this one's playful piano line has me returning perhaps most of all
The Avalanches - Wildflower: "Harmony", a certain trip at Carpinteria State Beach has forever given this song a special place in my heart
Blink-182 - Enema of the State: "Going Away to College", possibly the best Blink song IMO, both a perfect example of their style and something that transcends it into something else
Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road: "Jackson", an understated heartbreaker
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming: "Raconte Moi Une Histoire", never fails to put a smile on my face
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

This sounds super fun, how did you want this voting to work in terms of timing? As in were you wanting us to vote now or wait until you put your selected songs in the playlist first and then we would vote for which songs we'd want to replace?

Edit: also when would voting be closed on a particular album?
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Very good idea, maybe it would be better to do blocks of x albums to enable a bit of discussion about the included songs? With Rob or someone else giving the two statistic votes. It would probably take a while but sounds fun.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I'd like to participate but I'd need time for choosing my favourites. Any deadline suggested?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

rumpdoll wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:47 pm Very good idea, maybe it would be better to do blocks of x albums to enable a bit of discussion about the included songs? With Rob or someone else giving the two statistic votes. It would probably take a while but sounds fun.
Yes, I think it would work best in blocks of say 25 at a time. Whether that time should be 25 a day, or two days or longer remains to be seen. I'll make a start with it on Sunday and see how it goes. I don't think a deadline is needed. I'm fine with updating a playlist whenever need be, but I do think a slow pace makes it more digestible for everyone.

I can make the "objective" list a little quicker to keep up with the hype of the roll-out and for people who want to dive in now, or at least Sunday.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Rob wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:23 pm
rumpdoll wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:47 pm Very good idea, maybe it would be better to do blocks of x albums to enable a bit of discussion about the included songs? With Rob or someone else giving the two statistic votes. It would probably take a while but sounds fun.
Yes, I think it would work best in blocks of say 25 at a time. Whether that time should be 25 a day, or two days or longer remains to be seen. I'll make a start with it on Sunday and see how it goes. I don't think a deadline is needed. I'm fine with updating a playlist whenever need be, but I do think a slow pace makes it more digestible for everyone.

I can make the "objective" list a little quicker to keep up with the hype of the roll-out and for people who want to dive in now, or at least Sunday.
I think that sounds reasonable, I know you’re already doing a few things on this forum simultaneously Rob so let us know if you want someone to assist with all this
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

1000. Psychedelic Furs – Talk Talk Talk
Pretty in Pink (2)
No Tears (1)

999. Phil Collins – No Jacket Required
Sussudio (O)
One More Night (O)

998. Tubeway Army – Replicas
Are ‘Friends’ Electric? (2)
Down in the Park (1)
Machman (1)

997. Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…
Criminology (1)
Verbal Intercourse (1)

996. dEUS – The Ideal Crash
Sister Dew (2)
Instant Street (1)
The Ideal Crash (1)

995. Robyn – Honey
Missing U (1)
Ever Again (1)

994. Mitski – Bury Me At Makeout Creek
First Love / Late Spring (2)
Texas Reznikoff (2)
Jobless Monday (1)
Townie (1)

993. Howlin’ Wolf – Howlin’ Wolf
Spoonful (2)
Little Red Rooster (2)

992. Daryl Hall & Johnny Oats – Private Eyes
Private Eyes (O)
I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do) (O)

991. Lhasa – La Llorona
El Desierto (2)
De Cara e la Pared (2)
Mi Vanidad (1)

990. Goldfrapp – Felt Mountain
Utopia (2)
Lovely Head (1)
Human (1)

989. The Go-Betweens – 16 Lovers Lane
Love Goes On ! (2)
Streets of Your Town (1)
Love is a Sign (1)

988. Blur – The Great Escape
The Universal (2)
Country House (1)
Stereotypes (1)
Best Days (1)
Yuko and Hiro (1)

987. Serge Gainsbourgh - L'homme à tête de chou
Variations sur Marilou (1)
Flash Forward (1)

986. The Gaslight Anthem – The ’59 Sound
Meet Me By the River’s Edge (2)
The ’59 Sound (1)
Great Expectations (1)

985. X – Wild Gift
We’re Desperate (1)
In This House I Call Home (1)

984. Wolf Alice – Visions of a Life
Don’t Delete the Kisses (2)
Yuck Foo (1)
Formidable Cool (1)

983. Tom Waits – Mule Variations
Come On Up to the House (2)
Hold On (1)
Big in Japan (1)

982. Keane – Hopes and Fears
Everybody’s Changing (2)
Somewhere Only We Know (1)
Bedshaped (1)
We Might As Well Be Strangers (1)
On a Day Like Today (1)

981. Bruce Springsteen – Greetings from Asbury park, N.J.
Blinded by the Light (2)
Spirit in the Night (1)
It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City (1)

980. Sonny Sharrock – Ask the Ages
Many Mansions (1)
Promises Kept (1)

979. Joni Mitchell – Ladies of the Canyon
Big Yellow Taxi (1)
The Circle Game (1)

978. INXS – Kick
Devil Inside (1)
Need You Tonight (1)

977. Georges Brassens - 1ère série : Georges Brassens chante les chansons poétiques (...et souvent gaillardes) de... Georges Brassens
La Mauvaise reputation (2)
Le gorilla (1)
Le parapluie (1)

976. Fugazi – The Argument
Argument (2)
Cashout (2)

This is the process:
1. I have checked all albums for two "objective" cuts, based on a method described in my first post. These have been added to the playlist. That way, if no fan of the album shows up, the album will always have two songs present in the playlist. Objective songs have an 'O' in brackets between the title, meaning that they have no official points.
2. If you spot one of the albums you voted for in the poll you can post your two favorite tracks here in this topic. Just be clear on what album the tracks are from; don't just post song names and hope that I guess what album they are from. You don't have to rank the two songs, both you mention get one point. For all you out there who made lists of more than 1000 albums: like in the actual poll only the first 1000 albums you voted for count here.
3. The amount of points a song has are between the brackets. Songs with points automatically replace objective songs on the playlist. If a song gathers more votes it can rise up. The two with the most points make the playlist. An example is already the Mitski album, where two people (acroamor and me) have voted for. We both voted for Texas Reznikoff so that one has two points now. I gave a lone vote for Townie (acroamor has yet to mention a second song).
4. You can vote every day you want for each album that has appeared already. There is no deadline to do it within 24 hours after me posting the daily list. This slow process is to make it more manageable for both you and me.
5. Some albums are not on Spotify, like Ask the Ages in this first batch. I want to provide a YouTube playlist with just the songs missing here, but my own YouTube is work-related and I don't want to have other stuff on there. Would anyone else be willing to make this YouTube list? I will name in the list which albums/ songs need to be added.
6. I'll try to post the next 25 every evening, but I have a life outside of this, so times might vary.

I'm not sure if it will be a bit chaotic to do it in this topic, but we'll see.

Here are my first votes. Well, I only had one of these albums on my list so let's go:

Mitski - Bury me at Makeout Creek:
Texas Reznikoff
Townie

Acroamor and mileswise, you votes already, but usually only for one song. You get two votes per album!
Last edited by Rob on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Put me down for the shimmering Love Is a Sign for my second 16 Lovers Lane nom then, I adore those post-chorus arpeggios!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I think the choices for Honey are the ones I would pick!
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:47 pm I think the choices for Honey are the ones I would pick!
Something I didn't mention is that it is indeed good to name your two favorites of the album even if they are the "objective" picks, because this is the only way to give them "official" points. Like you see with Honey now.

Also, I will not react to each post here, but you can see your votes reflected in the post with the list, when I added the points behind the titles, like I have done now with Sweepstakes and mileswides' last posts.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

979. Joni Mitchell – Ladies of the Canyon
Big Yellow Taxi
The Circle Game
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Keane – Hopes and Fears
Everybody’s Changing
Bedshaped
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

The Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk: Pretty in Pink (just in case anyone tries to vote it out).
Mitski - Bury Me at Makeout Creek: First Love / Late Spring.
Lhasa - La Llorona: El Desierto.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

The Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk: Pretty in Pink is essential but my other vote goes to No Tears.

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx: I think Criminology and Verbal Intercourse would be better samples of this album for someone who hasn't listened to it.

Howlin' Wolf - Howlin' Wolf: Little Red Rooster and Spoonful still get my vote.

The Go-Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane: I think Love Goes On! should stay but my other vote goes to Streets of Your Town.

Tom Waits - Mule Variations: I think Big in Japan is more quintessential Tom Waits than Hold on so that gets my vote. Come on Up to the House should stay.

Fugazi - The Argument: Cashout and Argument are great as is.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

My only listed album in this block is
Deus - The ideal crash: Sister Dew, The ideal Crash: The listed songs are fine but I prefer The Ideal Crash over Instant Street which only gets really good in the last minute or so

If i'm allowed to vote for albums that are outside of my top 200 but I have opinions about:
Blur - The Great Escape: Country House, The Universal -> are good representations
Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain: Lovely Head, Utopia -> Are fine. An argument could be made for human
Raekwon - Only built 4 Cuban Linx: Criminology, Rainy Dayz
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Very good idear Rob, once again.

998. Tubeway Army | Replicas : Are 'Friends' electric and Down in The Park are the two top songs.
996. dEUS | The Ideal Crash : Sister Dew and Instant Street are the two top songs.
991. Lhasa | La Llorona : hard to take two songs, the album is perfect but I will choose El desierto and De Cara e la Pared
988. Blur | The Great Escape: like Lhasa, this album is entirely good. but I will choose The Universal and Stereotypes
987. Serge Gainsbourg | L'homme à tête de chou: Variations sur Marilou of course and Flash Forward will be my choices.
978. INXS | Kick: Devil Inside and Need You Tonight
977. Georges Brassens | 1ère série : Georges Brassens chante les chansons poétiques (...et souvent gaillardes) de... Georges Brassens (1953) AKA "La mauvaise réputation" : La mauvaise réputation and Le gorille
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
Utopia & Human

Blur - The Great Escape
Yuko And Hiro & Best Days
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Thanks everyone! The scores in the post above are updated, as is the playlist itself.
DaveC wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:07 am The Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk: Pretty in Pink (just in case anyone tries to vote it out).
You are allowed two votes per album (if you want!).
rumpdoll wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:57 am If i'm allowed to vote for albums that are outside of my top 200 but I have opinions about:
Alas, only true fans are allowed to vote for their albums.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Rob great idea here! Love the concept!
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Today's 25:

975. Laura Marling – Semper Femina
Nothing, Not Nearly (2)
Wild Fire (1)
Wild Once (1)

974. American Football – American Football
Never Meant (O)
Honestly? (O)

973. The Microphones – The Glow, Pt. 2
I Want Wind to Blow (2)
The Moon (1)
Map (1)

972. Max Roach – We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite [Not on Spotify, although a few tracks appear as part of an Abbey Lincoln compilation]
Driva’ Man (2)
Tryptich (2)
Freedom Day (1)
Tears for Johannesburg (1)
All Africa (1)

971. Abba – The Album
Eagle (2)
Take a Chance on Me (1)
Move On (1)

970. The National – Sleep Well Beast
The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness (5)
Day I Die (1)
Born to Beg (1)
Nobody Else Will Be There (1)
Carin at the Liquor Store (1)
I’ll Still Destroy You (1)

969. Sonic Youth – EVOL
Madonna, Sean and Me (2)
Shadow of a Doubt (1)
Tom Violence (1)

968. Tom Zé - Estudando o samba
Tô (1)
Vai (Menina Amanhã De Manhã) (1)

967. Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
You Want It Darker (2)
Treaty (2)
Steer Your Way (2)

966. Super Furry Animals – Radiator
Mountain People (2)
Demons (1)
Hermann Loves Pauline (1)

965. Tori Amos – Under the Pink
Cornflake Girl (1)
Yes Anastasia (1)

964. Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park
Follow Your Arrow (3)
Merry Go ‘Round (2)
Silver Lining (2)
Blowin’ Smoke (1)

963. Red Hot Chili Peppers – By the Way
Can’t Stop (2)
By the Way (1)
Dosed (1)

962. Howlin’ Wolf – Moanin’ in the Moonlight
Smokestack Lightnin’ (1)
Moanin’ at Midnight (1)

961. Radiohead – The King of Limbs
Codex (2)
Lotus Flower (1)
Give Up the Ghost (1)
Separator (1)
Little By Little (1)

960. Camel – Mirage
Lady Fantasy (2)
Freefall (1)
Nimrodel (1)

959. Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice - Jesus Christ Superstar [original concept recording]
Heaven on their Minds (1)
King Herod’s Song (1)
The Last Supper (1)
John Nineteen Fourty-One (1)

958. Tom Waits – Small Change
Tom Traubert’s Blues (Four Sheets in the Wind in Copenhagen) (2)
The Piano’s Been Drinking (Not Me) (An Evening with Pete King) (2)

957. Deep Purple – Made in Japan
Highway Star (2)
Child in Time (2)

956. Cat Power – Moon Pix
Cross Bones Style (O)
Metal Heart (O)

955. Squeeze – East Side Story
Labelled with Love (1)
Is That Love? (1)

954. Nico – The Marble Index
Frozen Warnings (3)
Evening of Light (2)
Lawns of Dawn (2)
Ari’s Song (1)

953. Tool – Lateralus
Lateralus (1)
Parabola (1)

952. Angel Olsen – All Mirrors
What It Is (2)
Lark (2)
All Mirrors (2)

951. Au-Pairs – Playing with a Different Sex
Headache for Michelle (3)
Armagh (2)
It’s Obvious (1)
Come Again (1)
Kerb Crawler (1)

And of course, you can still vote for yesterday's if you haven't yet!
Last edited by Rob on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Yesterday I had only one album, today I had a bunch. I already added the points to the list above, but to be clear, these are my picks:

Laura Marling – Semper Femina
Wild Once
Nothing, Not Nearly

Max Roach – We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite
Driva’ Man
Freedom Day

Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
Treaty
Steer Your Way

Camel – Mirage
Freefall
Lady Fantasy

Tom Waits – Small Change
Tom Traubert’s Blues (Four Sheets in the Wind in Copenhagen)
The Piano’s Been Drinking (Not Me) (An Evening with Pete King)

Deep Purple – Made in Japan
Highway Star
Child in Time

Nico – The Marble Index
Frozen Warnings
Evening of Light

Angel Olsen – All Mirrors
All Mirrors
What It Is
Very sad I couldn't vote for Summer too.

Mileswide's premature votes were also added to the tally.
votingbloc
Strange Fruit

Post by votingbloc »

986. The Gaslight Anthem – The ’59 Sound
The ’59 Sound
Meet Me By the River's Edge
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Super Furry Animals – Radiator: In this album the highlights are less obvious than some of SFA's other albums, but Hermann Loves Pauline and Mountain People are my picks.

The Microphones – The Glow, Pt. 2: Map and I Want Wind to Blow
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

994. Mitski – Bury Me At Makeout Creek
Jobless Monday
First Love / Late Spring

984. Wolf Alice – Visions of a Life
Formidable Cool
Don't Delete the Kisses

981. Bruce Springsteen – Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.
Spirit in the Night
Blinded by the Light

975. Laura Marling – Semper Femina
Wild Fire
Nothing, Not Nearly

The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
Born to Beg

Follow Your Arrow
Silver Lining

Lotus Flower
Codex

953. Tool – Lateralus
Lateralus
Parabola

952. Angel Olsen – All Mirrors
Lark
What It Is
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

980. Sonny Sharrock | Ask the Ages
Many Mansions
Promises Kept

966. Super Furry Animals | Radiator
Mountain People
Demons

954. Nico | The Marble Index
Evening of Light
Frozen Warnings

951. Au Pairs | Playing with a Different Sex
It's Obvious
Headache for Michelle
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Rob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:38 pm Thanks everyone! The scores in the post above are updated, as is the playlist itself.
DaveC wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:07 am The Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk: Pretty in Pink (just in case anyone tries to vote it out).
You are allowed two votes per album (if you want!).
Just picking out particular favourites rather than splitting hairs.
Having said that:-
Camel - Mirage: Lady Fantasy, Nimrodel.
Au Pairs - Playing with a Different Sex: Headache For Michelle and I will go for Armagh too although there are several other obvious options.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

971. ABBA – The Album
Eagle (the ~5:50 album version by the way, not the four-minutes-and-change radio edit)
Move On

Blowin' Smoke
Follow Your Arrow
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

The Microphones - The Glow, Pt. 2: Can't argue with I Want Wind to Blow and The Moon, I vote for them both to stay.

Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite: Driva' Man is fantastic, my other vote goes to Tears for Johannesburg.

The National - Sleep Well Beast: The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness is a must, and I think the dreary opener Nobody Else Will Be There does a great job setting the tone for what you're about to get with this album.

Sonic Youth - EVOL: This batch of songs are easily some of the strangest in their discography, though I think Tom Violence and Madonna, Sean, and Me serve as good introductions.

Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker: The title track You Want it Darker is the best but Steer Your Way is a close second.

Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer, Different Park: While I like Follow Your Arrow, I tend to skip that one nowadays, Silver Lining and Merry Go 'Round still represent what made her such a unique voice.

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors: This one was tough, there are a lot of great and accessible songs here but I have to go with Lark and All Mirrors because they are just so awesome.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

977. Georges Brassens - 1ère série : Georges Brassens chante les chansons poétiques (...et souvent gaillardes) de... Georges Brassens
- La mauvaise réputation
- Le parapluie

957. Deep Purple – Made in Japan
- Highway Star
- Child in Time
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Rob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:38 pm
rumpdoll wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:57 am If i'm allowed to vote for albums that are outside of my top 200 but I have opinions about:
Alas, only true fans are allowed to vote for their albums.
You just want to punish me, because I only made a 200 album list ;)

Anyway, next set:

Radiohead – The King of Limbs: I know those are outsider votes, but my favorite is the duo at the back end of the album Give up the ghost and Separator

Au-Pairs – Playing with a Different Sex; Kerb Crawler and Headache for Michelle
SL3
Different Class

Post by SL3 »

Quite a few in these two blocks were on my list:

998. Tubeway Army – Replicas
Are 'Friends' Electric?
The Machman

Note on Down in the Park: this is the more obvious choice, and if you don't know the music of Gary Numan definitely check it out. For me though the joy of Replicas is the magical merging of punk guitar into synthpop, so my pick for the second track is The Machman.

993. Howlin’ Wolf – Howlin’ Wolf
Spoonful
Little Red Rooster

991. Lhasa – La Llorona
De Cara e la Pared
Mi Vanidad

982. Keane – Hopes and Fears
We Might As Well Be Strangers
On A Day Like Today

981. Bruce Springsteen – Greetings from Asbury park, N.J.
Blinded By The Light
It's Hard to be a Saint in the City

971. Abba – The Album
Take a Chance on Me
Eagle

Day I Die

969. Sonic Youth – EVOL
Madonna, Sean & Me [aka Expressway to Your Skull]
Shadow of Doubt

965. Tori Amos – Under the Pink
[OMG this is too hard...]
Cornflake Girl [big hit]
Yes Anastasia [deep cut that really grows]

Also check out the b-side "Honey" (on the expanded edition). To quote Tori: "I kicked it off the album at the last minute because of a preference that someone else in the studio had for a different song. But I made the wrong decision, because Honey was like the blood of Under the Pink."

963. Red Hot Chili Peppers – By the Way
Dosed
Can’t Stop

962. Howlin’ Wolf – Moanin’ in the Moonlight
Smokestack Lightnin’
Moanin' at Midnight

959. Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice - Jesus Christ Superstar
John Nineteen Forty-One
Heaven On Their Minds

955. Squeeze – East Side Story
Labelled with Love
Is That Love

I'm finding deciding between tracks pretty hard. Are we going for our personal favourites, or for songs which might inspire a new listener to want to hear more? Also presumably most here are familiar with the big hits, so is it more interesting to highlight deeper album cuts? For example on Abba The Album is Move On a better choice than Take A Chance On Me? Any tips?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

The scores of the last 24-ish hours have been counted and my previous posts and the playlist have been updated.
prosecutorgodot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:40 pm Eagle (the ~5:50 album version by the way, not the four-minutes-and-change radio edit)
This playlist will only contain album cuts!
SL3 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:26 am I'm finding deciding between tracks pretty hard. Are we going for our personal favourites, or for songs which might inspire a new listener to want to hear more? Also presumably most here are familiar with the big hits, so is it more interesting to highlight deeper album cuts? For example on Abba The Album is Move On a better choice than Take A Chance On Me? Any tips?
A case can be made for every method. I just go with my personal favorites, but I feel that everyone can use their own standards.
Having said that I am amused that you just removed the two songs Jesus Christ Superstar is known for in one shameless swoop.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Here are today's 25:

950. Queens of the Stone Age - …Like Clockwork
My God is the Sun (2)
I Appear Missing (2)
Keep Your Eyes Peeled (1)
If I Had a Tail (1)
The Vampyre of Time and Memory (1)
Fairweather Friends (1)

949. Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Ragged Glory
Fuckin’ Up (1)
Country Home (1)

948. The Knife – Shaking the Habitual
A Tooth for an Eye (3)
Full of Fire (2)
Ready to Lose (1)
Old Dream Waiting to Be Realised (1)
Raging Lung (1)

947. Black Flag – Damaged
TV Party (2)
Rise Above (1)
Padded Cell (1)

946. Mac DeMarco – Salad Days
Passing Out Pieces (1)
Chamber of Reflection (1)

945. Henryk Górecki [London Sinfonietta / David Zinman / Dawn Upshaw] - Symphony No. 3
Symphony No. 3, Op 36.: II. Lento e largo—Tranquillissimo (1)
Symphony No. 3, Op 36.: I. Lento—Sostenuto tranquillo ma cantabile (O)

944. Fever Ray – Plunge
To the Moon and Back (1)
Wanna Sip (1)

943. Killer Mike – R.A.P. Music
Reagan (5)
Big Beast (2)
R.A.P. Music (1)
Southern Fried (1)
Jo Jo’s Chillin (1)

942. Aerosmith – Toys in the Attic
Walk This Way (2)
Sweet Emotion (2)

941. Mano Negra – Puta’s Fever
King Kong Five (3)
Pas assez de toi (1)
Soledad (1)
Guayaquil City (1)

940. Beach House – 7
Lemon Glow (1)
Drunk in L.A. (1)
Woo (1)

939. Comus – First Utterance
Diana (1)
The Herald (1)
Drip Drip (1)
The Bite (1)

938. Missy Elliott – Miss E… So Addictive
Get Ur Freak On (1)
4 My People (1)
One Minute Man (1)
Lick Shot (1)

937. The Sonics – Here Are the Sonics!!
Psycho (O)
Strychnine (O)

936. Chuck Berry – Berry is On Top
Johnny B. Goode (2)
Maybellene (1)
Roll Over Beethoven (1)

935. Prince – Around the World in a Day
Raspberry Beret (2)
Pop Life (1)
Paisley Park (1)

934. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Allelujah! Don’t Bend! Ascend!
Mladic (4)
We Drift Like Worried Fire (4)

933. Angelo Badalamenti – Soundtrack from Twin Peaks
Twin Peaks Theme (3)
Laura Palmer’s Theme (3)
Audrey’s Dance (1)
Dance of the Dream Man (1)

932. Mogwai – Come On Die Young
Christmas Steps (2)
Cody (1)
Chocky (1)

931. Bob Marley & the Wailers – Uprising
Redemption Song (1)
Could You Be Loved (1)

930. Deafheaven – Sunbather
Dream House (3)
Irresistible (2)
Vertigo (1)

929. The Cure – Faith
The Drowning Man (2)
Primary (1)
All Cats Are Grey (1)

928. Supergrass – I Should Coco
Caught by the Fuzz (1)
She’s So Loose (1)
Mansize Rooster (1)
Strange Ones (1)

927. The Weeknd – Beauty Behind the Madness
Can’t Feel My Face (O)
The Hills (O)

926. The Beat – I Just Can’t Stop It
Mirror in the Bathroom (1)
Twist & Crawl (1)
Last edited by Rob on Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

First day I had only one album, yesterday eight and today back to one:

Mano Negra – Puta’s Fever
King Kong Five (1)
Pas assez de toi (1)

Once again I already added these votes to my post above and once again the same goes for Mileswide's impatient early votes.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

939. Comus – First Utterance
The Herald
Drip Drip
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

943. Killer Mike – R.A.P. Music
R.A.P. Music
Reagan

We Drift Like Worried Fire
Mladic

Twin Peaks Theme
Laura Palmer's Theme

Question, do we really want to count Falling here, as it will probably also appear as a pick on Julee Cruise own album? I would say save it for Julee Cruise's album

930. Deafheaven – Sunbather
Dream House
Vertigo
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork: One of their most consistent albums, Keep Your Eyes Peeled and My God is the Sun provide two very different (but still menacing) vibes that this album dips into.

The Knife - Shaking the Habitual: Full of Fire is probably easier to get into but A Tooth For an Eye is pretty definitive of the album as a whole and still a blast to listen to. Ready to Lose was one of my favorite closing tracks of the decade so that gets my vote. Just avoid Fracking Fluid Injection.

Black Flag - Damaged: Rise Above is rightly their most popular song, and I'll stump for TV Party because how could you not?

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music: I like some other deep cuts slighter better but Big Beast and Reagan are both amazing and illustrate Mike's whole ethos of his music and politics.

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic: Walk This Way and Sweet Emotion are the most popular for a reason, they have both staying power that's carried on here in the States for 45 years now.

Missy Elliott - Miss E...So Addictive: This one was tough because while it's an excellent album, these songs sound very dated now. I'll put my vote towards One Minute Man and of course Get Ur Freak On.

Prince and the Revolution - Around the World in a Day: Raspberry Beret, obviously, and second vote goes to Pop Life which sounds to my ears like it's been transported from the late 90's.

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Uprising: Could You Be Loved could convert any Bob Marley skeptic and Redemption Song was in my AT Top 10 last time we did our songs poll so that has to stay.

Deafheaven - Sunbather: I can't think of a better introduction to Sunbather than the one we all got when it came out, Dream House and Irresistible.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

936. Chuck Berry – Berry is On Top
- Johnny B. Goode
- Maybellene

929. The Cure – Faith
- All Cats Are Grey
- The Drowning Man
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Hope I'm not too late for yesterday's options after being so impatient initially!

We Insist!: All Africa seamlessly slips into a heady Afro-fusion powered by Olatunji's drums of passion.
The Marble Index: I'm tempted to pick the bad hallucinogenic trip of Facing the Wind but I recommend the discordant lullaby of Ari's Song for anyone put off by the album's reputation as a wall-to-wall hellscape.
Playing with a Different Sex: The awkward standoff of the sexes that is Come Again joins Armagh in the pack.
Shaking the Habitual: Full of Fire burrows under your skin when it plays and stays there, as it does in my list of selections.
Damaged: TV Party was the first Black Flag song I heard and for me, there isn't a better introduction, particularly if you're under the misapprehension the band take themselves too seriously.
Miss E...: Lick Shots' rhythm is steely but Missy makes it feel elastic; the opening line "Those who hated made us more creative" serves as a mission statement for the album.
Allelujah!: We Drift like Worried Fire and Mladic nearly demolish their slow builds with precision rocking.
I Just Can't Stop It: Mirror in the Bathroom sounds as haunted as its narcissistic heart; Twist & Crawl doubles down on the doomy dub while not letting that get in the way of a good skank.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Queens of the Stone Age - …Like Clockwork: My God Is The Sun, I Appear Missing
Beach ouse - 7: Drunk in L.A.
Angelo Badalamenti - Soundtrack from Twin Peaks: Twin Peaks Theme, Laura Palmer's Theme
The Cure - Faith: The Drowning Man, Primary.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

948. The Knife – Shaking the Habitual
A Tooth for an Eye
Raging Lung

Audrey's Dance
Dance of the Dream Man
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

A bit late to the party. I thought this was gonna be a lot of work, and then it turned out I only voted for 4 of these albums...

972. Max Roach | We Insist! gets a vote for Triptych
959. Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice | Jesus Christ Superstar: The Last Supper is a must, but also King Herod's Song.
954. Nico | The Marble Index: Lawns of Dawn and Frozen Warnings
939. Comus | First Utterance: The Bite and Diana
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

941. Mano Negra – Puta’s Fever King kong Five and Soledad
935. Prince – Around the World in a Day A perfect album from the first song to the last... very hard choice. I choose Paisley Park and Rasperry Beret
932. Mogwai – Come On Die Young Cody and Chritmas Steps are my choice too.
928. Supergrass – I Should Coco Only great songs in this album. Mansize Rooster and Strange Ones are my favourite...today.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

943. Killer Mike – R.A.P. Music Reagan and Southern Fried
934. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Allelujah! Don’t Bend! Ascend! I think putting only 20 Minutes of Mladic on the list is fine, if not the second should be We drift like worried fire
932. Mogwai – Come On Die Young so many to choose from ... Christmas steps is a given. My second vote is Chocky
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

983. Tom Waits – Mule Variations
Hold on
Come on up to the House

Carin at the Liquor Store

967. Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
You Want It Darker
Treaty

Little by Little
Codex

958. Tom Waits – Small Change
Tom Traubert’s Blues (Four Sheets in the Wind in Copenhagen)
The Piano’s Been Drinking (Not Me)

950. Queens of the Stone Age - …Like Clockwork
If I Had a Tail
I Appear Missing

940. Beach House – 7
Lemon Glow
Woo

Mladic
We Drift Like Worried Fire
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Salad Days: Passing Out Pieces & Chamber Of Reflection. Total agreement with the AM picks here
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Mano Negra – Puta’s Fever:
Mala vida
King Kong Five
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm having other plans tonight and can't count the votes from today, nor react to everything, but here are today's titles:

925. Jimmy Eat World – Bleed American
The Middle (4)
Sweetness (1)
Hear You Me (1)
A Praise Chorus (1)
Authority Song (1)

924. Kate Bush – The Sensual World
The Sensual World (2)
This Woman’s Work (2)
Love and Anger (2)

923. John Coltrane – Blue Train
Blue Train (1)
Lazy Bird (1)

922. Yo La Tengo – Painful
Big Day Coming (2)
I Heard You Looking (1)

921. The Velvet Underground – VU
I Can’t Stand It (1)
She’s My Best Friend (1)

920. Sugar – Copper Blue
If I Can’t Change Your Mind (2)
Helpless (1)
The Act We Act (1)

919. Dinosaur Jr. – You’re Living All Over Me
Little Fury Things (1)
Sludgefeast (1)

918. Kashiwa Daisuke – Program Music I [Not on Spotify]
Stella (1)
Written Once, Run Melos (O)
There are only two tracks on this album.

917. George Michael – Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1
Freedom ’90 (O)
Praying for Time (O)

916. The White Stripes – Get Behind Me Satan
Blue Orchid (2)
My Doorbell (1)
The Denial Twist (1)

915. Daughters – You Won’t Get What You Want
The Reason They Hate Me (1)
Satan in Wait (1)
Guest House (1)
City Song (1)

914. Green Day – nimrod.
Redundant (1)
Prosthetic Head (1)

913. Aaliyah – Aaliyah [The album is not on Spotify, but by far most tracks are, so I don’t expect a problem]
We Need a Resolution (O)
More Than a Woman (O)

912. Ennio Morricone – C’era una volta il West/ Once Upon a Time in the West
C’era una volta il West/ Once Upon a Time in the West (1)
L’uomo dell’armonica/ Man with a Harmonica (1)

911. Tool – Ænima
Stinkfist (2)
Forty Six & 2 (2)

910. Blondie – Eat to the Beat
Atomic (1)
Union City Blues (1)

909. 16 Horsepower – Sackcloth ‘n’ Ashes
Black Soul Choir (2)
I Seen What I Saw (1)

908. The Sunday – Reading Writing and Arithmetic
Here’s Where the Story Ends (1)
Can’t Be Sure (1)
Skin & Bones (1)

907. The Kinks – Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround (Part One)
Strangers (2)
This Time Tomorrow (1)
Apeman (1)

906. Prefab Sprout – Jordan: The Comeback
One of the Broken (1)
Carnival 2000 (1)

905. The Prodigy – Music for the Jilted Generation
Poison (1)
Break & Enter (1)

904. Alvvays – Antisocialites
Dreams Tonite (1)
In Undertow (1)

903. The Sound – From the Lion’s Mouth
Winning (4)
New Dark Age (3)
Silent Air (1)

902. Ween – The Mollusk
The Mollusk (3)
Ocean Man (1)
Buckingham Green (1)
Mutilated Lips (1)
The Golden Eel (1)

901. Angel Olsen – My Woman
Shut Up, Kiss Me (3)
Sister (2)
Give It Up (1)
Last edited by Rob on Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”