The Acclaimed Music Artists Poll 2013 : top 20 and full list

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: The Acclaimed Music Artists Poll 2013 : top 20 and full

Post by JimmyJazz »

Wonderful list, and wonderful presentation Nassim!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Quick question: When do we get to post our lists? Should we start another thread for that topic?
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

slick wrote:
Henry wrote:I am having some difficulty understanding the strength of Lush in this poll.

I would appreciate it if those who voted for Lush could recommend a few songs other than the sole song De Luxe that is listed as bubbling under. While De Luxe is enjoyable enough it is not a song that wows me yet. Clearly Lush has impressed a number of voters though.
I did not vote for Lush, but they have been a band I have always enjoyed. The early stuff plays well with bands like Cocteau Twins, MBV, The Sundays, Catherine Wheel's 1st album and my personal favorite Ride. Try "Nothing Natural", "For Love" and "Sweetness and Light" to get a real grasp. Their '92 album 'Spooky' evolves a little bit and is a very enjoyable album without any standout singles. Their later work is more aggressive and fit more with the Britpop scene of the mid 90's, "Ladykillers", "Single Girl" and my favorite song from them "Hypocrite" are all outstanding.
Thanks for the suggestions. One of the reasons I do not care if a list that results from one of our polls are considered "viable" is that I am perusing the lists for performers that I am not familiar with so that I expand my exposure to those performers.

That is why I am especially grateful to folks like Slick who take the time to provide answers to my many questions about such performers.

I have listened to your suggestions. I enjoyed Nothing Natural - it's energy is captivating yet restrained. The harmony vocals in Sweetness and Light caught my ear.

For Love is also quite good and provides less of the constant layered sound of the two previous songs.

Ladykillers does not work as well for me as Lush's earlier offerings, but I can understand why others enjoy the song. Single Girl is pretty good but again doesn't captivate me like Lush's earlier material.

Hypocrite with its compelling urgency may also be my favorite of the Lush songs I have heard to date.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Thank you Nassim. This rollout has been really enjoyable.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I am wondering if anyone other than myself voted for any of the following performers:

Jackson Browne, Doobie Brothers, Steve Winwood, Donald Fagen, Derek and the Dominos, Chick Corea (Return to Forever), Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Blind Faith, Anita Baker, The Rascals, America, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Linda Ronstadt,Traffic, Huey Lewis, Pete Townsend and Squeeze.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Great presentation, as always. Many thanks to Nassim for running this great poll.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Fantastic presentation, Nassim. No issues whatsoever with the point calculations, that's quite an achievement!

As I've already said, I enjoyed the outcome too. Gotta be one of the most eclectic lists we've had.

Radiohead 300 points outside the top 3, who knew?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I also want to congratulate you on the fantastic presentation, Nassim. I know how much work goes into formatting a presentation like this, and you seem to have put a lot of time and effort into finding those beautiful pictures.

Worthy #1, of course. Maybe one day another artist will become my favourite, but for now Beatlemania is still very much alive and well on planet Dan.

[imgsize 300x200]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aPoLU6LabYg/U ... emania.jpg[/imgsize][imgsize 300x200]http://anothergirl83.tripod.com/sitebui ... scream.jpg[/imgsize]
...will keep us together.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

Henry wrote:I am wondering if anyone other than myself voted for any of the following performers:

Jackson Browne, Doobie Brothers, Steve Winwood, Donald Fagen, Derek and the Dominos, Chick Corea (Return to Forever), Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Blind Faith, Anita Baker, The Rascals, America, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Linda Ronstadt,Traffic, Huey Lewis, Pete Townsend and Squeeze.
Henry,

Several of these artists were on my "Bubbling Under" list: Townsend (#206), Squeeze (#187), Jackson Browne (#179), Derek and the Dominos (#124), Steve Winwood (#117). The Rascals did make my official list, coming in at #90.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

First, I also wanted to send my appreciation to Nassim for all of his work. It was an interesting and visually stimulating countdown.

Second, after taking a chance to read through the top 500, and after reading Henry's email, I was curious who were my highest ranking artists not to make the top 500 list...

Here are the results in reverse order...

10) LL Cool J (#84). It may not be fashionable, but Mama Said Knock You Out, is track for track, one of the best rap albums ever. Lesser Known Recommendation: "Six MInutes of Pleasure."

09) Lovin' Spoonful (#83). They had a brief burst of hits in the mid-60s, but almost all of them are pop gems. Lesser Known Recommendation: "Darling Be Home Soon."

08) Merle Haggard (#77). Cash gets more attention, but no country artist made better records in the late 60s. Lesser Known Recommendation: "I Take a Lot of Pride in What I am."

07) Bangles (#70). Nice mainstream pop group. Most of the hits are good. Their debut LP is great. Lesser Known Recommendation: "James."

06) John Mellencamp (#68). The poor man's Bruce Springsteen, but still lots of good singles. Lesser Known Recommendation: "Jackie Brown."

05) Dionne Warwick (#67). Maybe the most underrated singer of the 60s. Great vocalist and the best interpreter of the David-Bacharach songbook. Lesser Known Recommendations: "The Windows of the World," "Deja Vu."

04) Jackson 5/Jacksons (#63). I kind of wonder if I missed them on the list. It's hard to imagine they could not crack the top 500 just for their 69-71 barrage of classics alone. Lesser Known Recommendation: "Maybe Tomorrow," "Get It Together."

03) Bread (#59). For some a guilty pleasure, and they can be icky at times, but Gates has a beautiful voice and most of their ballads are tasteful and melodic. Some of the up-tempo tracks are also great. Lesser Known Recommendations: "Aubrey," "She's the Only One," "Down on My Knees."

02) War (#54). Great funk group. Really strong singles artist from '70 to '75. Lesser known Recommendations: "All Day Music," "Me and Baby Brother," "The Cisco Kid."

01) Hall and Oates (#53). A relentless hit machine during their peak years ('80 to '84). Most of the singles are great 80s pop. Lesser known Recommendations: "DId It in a Minute," "Somet Things are Better Left Unsaid," and "Looking for a Good Sign."
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I left out WAR too and weeks later remembered they should have been included in my list ;(
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Thanks a lot for the results Nassim, I enjoyed the ride.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

I have wasted far too much time here the past two weeks. :angry-nono: Thanks Nassim.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Great work, Nassim, everything was just flawlessly done.

Can't wait to see the individual lists!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Henry wrote:I am wondering if anyone other than myself voted for any of the following performers:

Yes for Rascals (they got a vote from stone37), no for all the others.

For this kind of question and many more (and while waiting for the individual lists), I'll upload the spreasheet !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Just a comment... mea culpa here; it is rather sad that such a small, international, multilingual group (only 35 respondents) accepts the common wisdom that 98% of the world's greatest artists perform primarily in English, that 62% live in the United States, and that roughly 90% have testicles.

If I'm still around the next time we do this, I'll certainly be a little more creative in my choices.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

DocBrown wrote:roughly 90% have testicles.
Are you counting MJ as in that group? :mrgreen:
DocBrown wrote: If I'm still around the next time we do this, I'll certainly be a little more creative in my choices.
Your favorites are your favorites. Don't change them just to try and be politically correct.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Bruce wrote:
Your favorites are your favorites. Don't change them just to try and be politically correct.
Actually, it's just the reverse, Bruce. I was entirely too self-editing this time around. As in "I can't include Regina Spektor! She's a guilty pleasure!" But if someone can include Nightwish in their top ten, than Regina is number nine next time around.

Right behind t.A.t.u
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Bruce wrote:
DocBrown wrote:roughly 90% have testicles.
Are you counting MJ as in that group? :mrgreen:
DocBrown wrote: If I'm still around the next time we do this, I'll certainly be a little more creative in my choices.
60% of my top of my top 10 alone were lead by women and that's not counting the heavenly vocals of Isobell Campbell so women pretty much dominated my list and did British artists. I learned from the best. Thanks Rodney :music-listening:
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

For the time being, I have given up trying to enjoy songs by the following four top 100 acts. I have listened repeatedly to the songs by each of these performers and received exceptionally little enjoyment for the effort:

21. Tom Waits
46. Public Enemy
58. Nick Cave
91. Pavement

I can take much solace in songs from the other 96 acts in the top 100, all of said acts presently fitting within my top 1000 favorite performers.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

DocBrown wrote:Just a comment... mea culpa here; it is rather sad that such a small, international, multilingual group (only 35 respondents) accepts the common wisdom that 98% of the world's greatest artists perform primarily in English, that 62% live in the United States, and that roughly 90% have testicles.

If I'm still around the next time we do this, I'll certainly be a little more creative in my choices.
I'm always frustrated by comments like this. What specific artists do you think missed out? Not that I'm 100% in agreement with the list or anything, but you have to back up your comments.

In terms of the male/female ratio specifically, two things:

1) I could be wrong, but I don't think you counted mostly male groups with female vocalists (like Portishead) or groups with significant female contributions (My Bloody Valentine, The Velvet Underground) in the 90%.

2) I've seen similar comments about the under-representation of females made many times on this board and elsewhere. Do these people take into account the male slant in music critique could come from the sample of available artists, and not any bias against females?

Some genres probably should have relatively even split between male and female artists, like R&B, pop, singer-songwriter, folk, indie pop, and shoegaze. But what if I want to list electronic artists? Or rap artists? Or metal? Or jazz? Or punk? Or 60s/70s rock? Or classical? Even if you picked most of the conceivable women artists from these genres, I'd have a hard time imagining you'd get anything better than a 90/10 split. So it's very possible to have a list that's, say, an 80/20 male female with no bias against female artists whatsoever. To make the argument of bias against females you'd have to somehow demonstrate that worthy females were being excluded relative to males in their given genre. From these results, I frankly don't see it. Sure, most acclaimed artists in this poll and elsewhere are male, but that's probably more due to the sample of people who perform music, not inherent bias against female artists.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Henry wrote:For the time being, I have given up trying to enjoy songs by the following four top 100 acts. I have listened repeatedly to the songs by each of these performers and received exceptionally little enjoyment for the effort:

21. Tom Waits

91. Pavement

I can take much solace in songs from the other 96 acts in the top 100, all of said acts presently fitting within my top 1000 favorite performers.
Thank you so much for including those two. I think I found a new best friend :)

And also my favorite genre is dreampop (which includes shoegaze) simply because of how women dominate the genre. Hell a woman pretty music invented it especially vocally with men even trying to sing like her.(along with Robin Guthrie speaking of PAVing the way)
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Jackson wrote:I'm always frustrated by comments like this. What specific artists do you think missed out? Not that I'm 100% in agreement with the list or anything, but you have to back up your comments.

1) I could be wrong, but I don't think you counted mostly male groups with female vocalists (like Portishead) or groups with significant female contributions (My Bloody Valentine, The Velvet Underground) in the 90%.

2) I've seen similar comments about the under-representation of females made many times on this board and elsewhere. Do these people take into account the male slant in music critique could come from the sample of available artists, and not any bias against females?

Some genres probably should have relatively even split between male and female artists, like R&B, pop, singer-songwriter, folk, indie pop, and shoegaze. But what if I want to list electronic artists? Or rap artists? Or metal? Or jazz? Or punk? Or 60s/70s rock? Or classical? Even if you picked most of the conceivable women artists from these genres, I'd have a hard time imagining you'd get anything better than a 90/10 split. So it's very possible to have a list that's, say, an 80/20 male female with no bias against female artists whatsoever. To make the argument of bias against females you'd have to somehow demonstrate that worthy females were being excluded relative to males in their given genre. From these results, I frankly don't see it. Sure, most acclaimed artists in this poll and elsewhere are male, but that's probably more due to the sample of people who perform music, not inherent bias against female artists.
I don't think any artists "missed out". People voted for their favourites, I hope. My point is that our favourites, collectively, the consensus of the group, looks a lot like the critical favourites (no surprise). With the variation increasing exponentially as you go higher in the list, a random number generator using the AM top 1000 artists as a baseline would probably generate a similar list.

1> No, I did not misrepresent the numbers by missing out on female frontwomen, or the women in Trip-Hop (I love Trip-Hop). Arcade Fire, for example: eight members, 12 testicles. Lots of all male groups on the list, but apparently no votes for the Go-Go's, or the Runaways, or Savages (Okay, Savages don't deserve any votes on the strength of one album, but I needed a third all-female group). I'm not saying this is wrong, it's just what it is.

2> I do think there has always been misogyny in the music industry, at the record labels, within the ranks of critics, etc. in the past. I hope that misogyny is dying everywhere, but if a list is based on historical realities, than women did not get an even break in the past. Therefore they will continue to be under-represented as a result of systemic discrimination for the foreseeable future. If there are substantially more men than women on every acclaimed list there are two possible reasons: women make less music, or: men make better music. I will accept the former as a given, although that is intuitive, rather than based on empirical research. I don't accept the latter. The top twenty had not one female artist, excepting only the VU, who collaborated with Nico on one album. Not a band member, just a collaboration. You mean to say that not one female artist in history was a match for the top twenty men? Yes, all of those twenty bands deserve whatever acclaim they have received. I just wonder why it's such a sausage party at the top.

I have heard people say they don't like the female voice in Rock and Roll. It's their karma if they want to wear their misogyny on their sleeve. I trust none of those troglodytes are contributors to these worldly and intellectual forums ;)

When I say mea culpa, I mean just that. I voted for a lot of artists at the top of my list because, hey, I'd look really foolish if my top ten choices weren't critical darlings, wouldn't I? Reflecting on the discussion as Nassim rolled out the list, I realized that my choices really didn't accurately reflect what I listen to every day. So if I had a do-over, I might swap Kate Bush for Bob Dylan as my first choice. I love them both, I think they're both brilliant songwriters, but I listen to Kate Bush about twice as often as Bob. He's probably the better songwriter,IMO, and he has a deeper catalogue, but let's face it, he sings like an asthmatic bullfrog with a mouthful of gravel, and what singer with a sibilance problem would ever write a song like "Isis"?

So, I don't mean to frustrate you, Jackson. I'm just a little frustrated with myself when I recognize that I didn't vote for the bands I loved most, but at least in part for the bands that most conformed to the norms of the group.

edit: JimmyJazz added "PS 2: I would like to note that the VU did have a permanent female band member, Maureen Tucker, better known as "Moe", who was their highly distinctive drummer." Duh, I knew that once upon a time. Call me a moron.

edit2: and for my final (I promise) comment on the subject, I did not say it was immoral, wrong or unexpected that the final consensus list would be largely American, english and male. I said it was sad. As in an American tourist in Paris who's happiest memory is finding a McDonald's right around the corner from his hotel. Sad.
Last edited by DocBrown on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I wasn't wanting to get into this conversation, but I now feel the need to. I can see, personally, where both DocBrown and Jackson are coming from. I agree with you, Doc, that in music, and in the arts in general, misogyny is quite rampant. As a cinephile, I can say that the world of filmmaking is an even bigger "sausage fest" than the pop music industry. I voted for quite a few female acts myself, I am glad that Bjork almost got into the Top 20, and that both PJ Harvey and Madonna rose up in their rankings. Nevertheless, I do feel the need to point a few things out. While it probably seems pitiful, this, from my eyes, appears to be the best showing for women in this entire poll's history. Bush, Simone, and Holiday (all of whom I voted for), finally got into the Top 100 when they hadn't before. In the case of Holiday, and in particular Simone who is ranked at a pitifully low number on the AM artist list, I wouldn't say either is a "critical darling", at least in the most broad sense of the word. So, plenty of people on this forum, including myself, clearly have no problems with female acts, and love many of them. We are not a bunch of "troglodytes". It probably doesn't help that there are, to my knowledge, no women on this forum, and on most music forums in general. The male/female music ratio would possibly be benefited if this trend would change, although, and this is where I am inclined to agree with Jackson, it possibly wouldn't as well. As it stands, I can name plenty of great female acts or groups featuring women, but the number of male exclusive acts I can name would far exceed that number. That is a shame, but at the same time, considering the way recorded music history has played out so far, it's not entirely unusual. The number of "major, famous" pop acts who are male is simply larger than the number of females. This is not to say that the great female acts are not truly great and can't compete with the great male acts (all one needs is to journey through the oeuvres of each of the female acts in this Top 100 to see that), but the male acts will have an advantage simply due to their sheer number, and even more so because of the way history has played out. I sincerely hope that will change in the future, but there are a variety of societal changes that have to occur in various areas and aspects of society for such a change to finally occur.

And there is my two cents.

PS I happen to love the singing of both Bob Dylan and Kate Bush, but that is just my opinion.
PS 2: I would like to note that the VU did have a permanent female band member, Maureen Tucker, better known as "Moe", who was their highly distinctive drummer.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

You guys may be interested in this list I did for Digital Dream Door:

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-women.html

By the way, were there any female voters among the 35 who submitted lists for this project? Are there any regular female posters in the forum?
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

DocBrown wrote:
Jackson wrote:I'm always frustrated by comments like this. What specific artists do you think missed out? Not that I'm 100% in agreement with the list or anything, but you have to back up your comments.

Lots of all male groups on the list, but apparently no votes for the Go-Go's, or the Runaways, or Savages (Okay, Savages don't deserve any votes on the strength of one album, but I needed a third all-female group).

I happily voted for the Runaways or at least I'm pretty sure I did. Dylan did try to sing once in a while and his elderly voice is somewhat endearing. Besides Dylan sounds like Ella Fitz freakin Gerald compared to #21 One scats while one sounds like scat ;)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Henry wrote:For the time being, I have given up trying to enjoy songs by the following four top 100 acts. I have listened repeatedly to the songs by each of these performers and received exceptionally little enjoyment for the effort:

21. Tom Waits
46. Public Enemy
58. Nick Cave
91. Pavement

While my favorite artist in there is by far Pavement, I would say that it's more likely that you find something enjoyable in Nick Cave's music. He released albums with completely differents sounds from one another, I for one completely dislike 2/3 of his albums but find some of the others wonderful, especially Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus which I think is the one you are the most likely to enjoy (but maybe I'm wrong and you already gave it a try).
Bruce wrote:By the way, were there any female voters among the 35 who submitted lists for this project? Are there any regular female posters in the forum?
Well there are a bunch of voters there I'm not sure of the gender (Hymie, Merlo...) but I would guess there wasn't any female.
And of the forum posters, I think we just have bonnielaurel who votes monthly on the year polls but that's about all.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Nassim, you did a incredible job here. Great presentation and great results.

I'm really sorry for not being able to play. Thanks.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Thank you, Nassim.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

luvulongTIM wrote:I needed a third all-female group.
Why not Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members, the Shirelles or the Ronettes?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

21. Tom Waits
46. Public Enemy
58. Nick Cave
91. Pavement

What about the Velvet Underground?
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Really great job, Nassim!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Listyguy wrote:

21. Tom Waits
46. Public Enemy
58. Nick Cave
91. Pavement

What about the Velvet Underground?
There are at least 4 VU songs that I enjoy. But, they are clearly not one of my faves.
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

luvulongTIM wrote:

21. Tom Waits

91. Pavement

Thank you so much for including those two. I think I found a new best friend :)

And also my favorite genre is dreampop (which includes shoegaze) simply because of how women dominate the genre. Hell a woman pretty music invented it especially vocally with men even trying to sing like her.(along with Robin Guthrie speaking of PAVing the way)
You have a 3rd... Tom Waits would top my worst artists of all time list beating out the likes of Paris Hilton, William Hung & Stryper. Never understood the appeal.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Do you Tom Waits haters like Captain Beefheart?
I feel like that
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

PlasticRam wrote:Do you Tom Waits haters like Captain Beefheart?
Even as an admirer of Tom Waits, I must say that I just enjoy the Beef better. I understand where people come from comparing them, but I find them two great experimental voices that approached things with strong differences. Anyway, the Cap was a more charismatic performer on record and I think his brand of experimentalism and surrealism appeals the most to my ears.

Edit: Also, until his death, Captain Beefheart had the important task of sharing his thoughts on recordings by PJ Harvey every time she finished an album. And she was also inspired enough to open To Bring You My Love with the very same opening lines of Safe as Milk and shape I Think I'm a Mother with the Captain's spirit and even wordplay. Tom Waits might have had peak-career Rickie Lee Jones, but Polly and Don are my favorite musical partners that never happened!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Some artists that I'm a big fan of I have a REALLY hard time understanding why someone wouldn't like their music. And other artists I'm a big fan of I have a REALLY easy time understanding why someone wouldn't like their music.

Tom Waits is in the second group for me.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

DocBrown wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Actually, it's just the reverse, Bruce. I was entirely too self-editing this time around. As in "I can't include Regina Spektor! She's a guilty pleasure!" But if someone can include Nightwish in their top ten, than Regina is number nine next time around.

Right behind t.A.t.u
Hell yeah! These are the types of lists I want to see. :happy-partydance:
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Nassim, you have done an amazing job with this. The picture selection was top notch and the timing of the results was excellent! I feel kind of silly continuing with comments for the top 40, so I'll just say that this list had enough great surprises to keep me happy.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

As for female bias, it is sad that there seems to be a glass ceiling for them. This list is more female-friendly than most I've seen, but I also think it is demonstrably biased against females. There are plenty of examples of artists with similar sounds where the male wins hands down: Radiohead over Björk, Ramones over Blondie, The Cure over Siouxsie and the Banshees, and (hell) Kanye West over Janelle Monae, just to name a few. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with preferring male vocals or performers - we all have certain characteristics that we enjoy more musically. However, I think it would be disingenuous to suggest that there isn't a bias against female artists in this list, although it is certainly less than the gender bias apparent in critics' lists.

The genre point is a good one, though. There certainly are some genres that have far more male artists than females, and these genres are viewed rather favorably here in comparison to genres with a predominance of female performers such as dance-pop.

This seems pretty evident when I look at the list of female or female-fronted artists who appeared only on my ballot:

Kylie Minogue
Annie
Annie Lennox
(The Human League, if they count)
Bat for Lashes
Kim Wilde
Aaliyah
Roxette
Missy Elliott
Mtume
iamamiwhoami
Bagarre
Sade
Yazoo
Salt-n-Pepa
Debbie Harry
Joan Jett
Tantra
Berlin
Evelyn Champagne King
Chic
Tom Tom Club
Deee-Lite
Nico
Sheila E.
Dannii Minogue
Peaches

Most of these could be categorized as synth pop, electro pop, funk or R 'n B, and none of those genres are particularly popular here...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Moonbeam wrote: ...and (hell) Kanye West over Janelle Monae, just to name a few.
For the record, I think that Ms. Monae is a far greater artist than Kanye is (or ever will be). But, then again, that may be derived from my view of Kanye being one of the most overrated music acts on the planet. :whistle:
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Moonbeam wrote:As for female bias, it is sad that there seems to be a glass ceiling for them. This list is more female-friendly than most I've seen, but I also think it is demonstrably biased against females. There are plenty of examples of artists with similar sounds where the male wins hands down: Radiohead over Björk, Ramones over Blondie, The Cure over Siouxsie and the Banshees, and (hell) Kanye West over Janelle Monae, just to name a few. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with preferring male vocals or performers - we all have certain characteristics that we enjoy more musically. However, I think it would be disingenuous to suggest that there isn't a bias against female artists in this list, although it is certainly less than the gender bias apparent in critics' lists.

The genre point is a good one, though. There certainly are some genres that have far more male artists than females, and these genres are viewed rather favorably here in comparison to genres with a predominance of female performers such as dance-pop.

This seems pretty evident when I look at the list of female or female-fronted artists who appeared only on my ballot:

Kylie Minogue
Annie
Annie Lennox
Bat for Lashes
Kim Wilde
Aaliyah
Roxette
Missy Elliott
Mtume
iamamiwhoami
Bagarre
Sade
Yazoo
Salt-n-Pepa
Debbie Harry
Joan Jett
Tantra
Berlin
Evelyn Champagne King
Chic
Tom Tom Club
Deee-Lite
Nico
Sheila E.
Dannii Minogue
Peaches

Most of these could be categorized as synth pop, electro pop, funk or R 'n B, and none of those genres are particularly popular here...
Debbie Harry solo or Blondie? Cause I'd be absolutely shocked if we were the only two who voted for Blondie. Same thing with Joan Jetts' Blackhearts or Runaways. Starting to get into Sheila E. Just her hits alone are tremendous so her deep cuts must be just as thrilling and lately if you listen to big pop artists like One Direction and the Pussycat Dolls you can clearly hear them sampling Glamorous Life which is criminally ranked only as a bubbler if I'm correct. Deee-Lite's awesome even stuff not on their debut and I never noticed how high Chic was ranked for their albums which is kind of rare for straight up disco.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

luvulongTIM wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:As for female bias, it is sad that there seems to be a glass ceiling for them. This list is more female-friendly than most I've seen, but I also think it is demonstrably biased against females. There are plenty of examples of artists with similar sounds where the male wins hands down: Radiohead over Björk, Ramones over Blondie, The Cure over Siouxsie and the Banshees, and (hell) Kanye West over Janelle Monae, just to name a few. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with preferring male vocals or performers - we all have certain characteristics that we enjoy more musically. However, I think it would be disingenuous to suggest that there isn't a bias against female artists in this list, although it is certainly less than the gender bias apparent in critics' lists.

Kylie Minogue
Annie
Annie Lennox
Bat for Lashes
Kim Wilde
Aaliyah
Roxette
Missy Elliott
Mtume
iamamiwhoami
Bagarre
Sade
Yazoo
Salt-n-Pepa
Debbie Harry
Joan Jett
Tantra
Berlin
Evelyn Champagne King
Chic
Tom Tom Club
Deee-Lite
Nico
Sheila E.
Dannii Minogue
Peaches

Debbie Harry solo or Blondie? Cause I'd be absolutely shocked if we were the only two who voted for Blondie. Same thing with Joan Jetts' Blackhearts or Runaways. Starting to get into Sheila E. Just her hits alone are tremendous so her deep cuts must be just as thrilling and lately if you listen to big pop artists like One Direction and the Pussycat Dolls you can clearly hear them sampling Glamorous Life which is criminally ranked only as a bubbler if I'm correct. Deee-Lite's awesome even stuff not on their debut and I never noticed how high Chic was ranked for their albums which is kind of rare for straight up disco.
I voted for Blondie and Debbie solo! Both careers are worthy, IMO. Joan Jett got a solo nod from me (I guess that counts The Blackhearts). And yes, Sheila E. and Deee-Lite are criminally overlooked! They are both so much more than one single!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Awesome job, here, Nassim, I did not vote but it was an interesting results. If I'm still around next time, I might give it a shot.

Moonbeam, since you're so much in those 80s female fronted acts, you should definitely try Mylène Farmer, Jeanne Mas, Buzy, Lio, Luna Parker, maybe 70s and 80s France Gall, and maybe AS Dragon (who actually wrote a tribute song to Blondie, Debbie Harry and Siouxsie!) and Plastiscines. Most of them are despised by French critics, but French critics are kind of incompetent when it comes to synthpop.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”