AM Hall of Acclaim 2011 Voting Thread

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

AM Hall of Acclaim 2011 Voting Thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

I will get to the presentations later, but for reference the last four inductees were Eno, Animal Collective, Aphex Twin, and Soda Stereo. The backstage inductee was Chris Blackwell.

Moving on to another week (and year!) You can view the current inductees of the Hall in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1328

So how this game works is pretty simple: nominate at least five and no more than ten acts that you feel are deserving of being in the AMF Hall. For your list to be considered eligible, however, you have to provide a brief justification for why you personally feel the top five acts on your list deserve to be inducted. This is only required for the first five acts on your list. Additionally, you can nominate up to three “backstage wing” individuals who you feel deserve to be in the Hall. “Backstage wing” types include songwriters, producers, record company founders/owners, music video directors, and critics/scholars. This is entirely optional, however, and your list will not be deemed ineligible if you don’t nominate anyone in this category. Another thing regarding acts: Please consider their work BEFORE the year 2011 when making your choices.

The point system I will be using is as basic as possible: #1 = 10 pts., #2 = 9 pts., and so on. For the backstage lists, if you only include one person, that person will get 3 points, a 2-person list has the second person get 2 points, and so on. I will keep this poll up until the 23rd Saturday night 8:00 pm UTC timezone. The top four vote getters will be the inductees of that year. In the case of a tie, a vote will be used to determine the winner.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Re: AM Hall of Acclaim 2011 Voting Thread

Post by Mattceinicram »

1. B.B. King- Simply one of the biggest and most influential figures in blues music. His innovations on the guitar are still heard today

2. Grateful Dead- One of the most prominent figures in classic psychedelic rock. These guys inspired generations of dead-heads to come.

3.The National- One of the most consistently great artists of the 21st century. They have a stream of great albums such as Alligator, Boxer, and now High Violet.

4. Green Day- Influential punk band. They gave us Dookie, American Idiot, and "Good Riddance"

5. Justin Timberlake- He is by far the most important mainstream pop artists of this generation. Call him the modern day Michael Jackson if you will.

6. Modest Mouse
7. MIA
8. Herbie Hancock
9. Paul McCartney
10. Manic Street Preachers
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
StationToStation
Start Me Up

Post by StationToStation »

Shoot, I missed 2010! Alright here's another go:

1. Iggy Pop
Imagine The Stooges are in from before, Iggy solo deserves to get his solo work in now as well. "Lust For Life" one of the finest albums of the 70's, easily.
2. Van Halen
Throw away Van Hagar for a moment and the early years is enough to get them in.
3. Weezer
On Blue Album and Pinkerton alone. The rest I can do without but they kept churning out music and influenced many artists along the way.
4. Fugazi
I'm afraid their discography is just as impressive if not more than impressive than just about all the artists I've got here.
5. Charlatans U.K.
Let's slip the Charlies in here for being the true survivors of Madchester and releasing an extensive discography most bands dream of having. Plus they've overcome one tragedy after another (even up to 2011 and not including John Brookes recent death).
6. Jane's Addiction
7. Rage Against The Machine
8. Genesis
9. Paul McCartney
10. TV On The Radio

Thanks!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1. Todd Rundgren/Utopia - one of the most prolific innovators for the past 40 years. My favorites by Todd include: Hello It's Me, I Saw the Light, Can We Still Be Friends, Compassion, Just One Victory, The Last Ride, Love Is the Answer, We Gotta Get You a Woman, Bang the Drum All Day, Be Nice To Me, Caravan, Chain Letter, A Dream Goes On Forever, Fidelity, Hideaway, Hope I'm Around, It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, Izaat Love?, Long Flowing Robe, No World Order, Parole, Property, Real Man, Sometimes I Don't Know What to Feel, Time Heals, Couldn't I Just Tell You, Dust In the Wind, Crybaby, Mated, Mimi Gets Mad, and The Ikon

2. Yes - The composition and execution by Yes was amazing. Hopefully those who voted for Yes in earlier voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

3. Carole King - one of the best female songwriters ever. Hopefully those who voted for Carole King in earlier voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

4. Santana - the extended notes can be a bit offputting, but his ability to move from frenzied energy to wonderful melodies never grows old for me. Hopefully those who voted for Santana in earlier voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

5. Genesis - One of the more talented prog rock innovators with both Gabriel and Collins as front men. Favorites include: Behind the Lines, Home By the Sea, Throwing It All Away, Misunderstanding, In Too Deep, Taking It All Too Hard, Invisible Touch, Please Don't Ask, Turn It On Again, ABACAB and Follow You, Follow Me

6. Billy Joel - I can still remember his fantastic concert at Stony Brook in 1974. Hopefully those who voted for Billy Joel in earlier AM HOF voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

7. Allman Brothers - One of the first big time Southern Rock bands. Fantastic dual guitars from Dickie Betts and Duane Allman. My favorites include: Whipping Post, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Blue Sky, Melissa, Ramblin' Man, Southbound, and Jessica

8. Joe Jackson - eclectic performer who readily adapted to include jazz elements in his new wave masterpieces. Favorites include: You Can't Get What You Want, Breaking Us In Two, Is She Really Going Out With Him?, It's Different for Girls, Steppin' Out, Be My Number Two, Don't Wanna Be Like That, One More Time and Pretty Girls

9. Style Council - Paul Weller's vocals are sublime. My favorites include: My Ever Changing Moods, You're the Best Thing, How She Threw It All Away, Heavens Above, The Cost of Loving, Boy Who Cried Wolf, The Lodgers, and Shout to the Top

10. Joe Satriani - fast and melodic. My favorite guitarist since Hendrix

11. Peter Gabriel

12. Jackson Browne
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Ok, friends, so far a vote from me has been the kiss of death; only Chris Blackwell has entered the AMHOA with my tepid backing. So I'm going to juggle last year's votes and see if that helps.

1. B.B. King is not in the Hall of Acclaim? What, nobody loves him but his mother? And she could be jiving too? LISTEN, EVEN Lucille IS MORE FAMOUS THAN SOME OF THESE ACTS.

2. Carlos Santana. Great guitarist. First live show I ever saw (on the Abraxas tour, to date myself.) Had a second wind with his duets album early in the 00's (actually Supernatural was released in June 1999, but most of the singles followed) which introduced him to a whole new generation, and deservedly so. Never went away for lovers of Latin Jazz.

3. Carole King. Critically under-rated songwriter, she forms, along with James Taylor, the link between Tin Pan Alley and the singer-songwriter genre (as in, she belonged to both camps). Unfortunately, her second album, Tapestry was such a huge success that her much more modest output over the last forty years has been mostly ignored.

4. Rage Against The Machine. Politically motivated music that captures the anger of the times, plus kick ass raps, plus blistering nu-metal guitars. What's not to love?

5. Billy Joel. Ok, huge amounts of pop-cheese at his worst, but at his best (Piano Man, New York State of Mind, Movin' Out) he was the quintessential 70's songwriter.

6. Green Day. Disastrous 2012 not yet to be considered, Billy Joe Armstrong is the ultimate frontman of the post-punk generation; no one puts on a better (profanity-laced) show.

7. Weezer. Except possibly Rivers Cuomo, who is subdued where Billy Joe is brash, humble where Billy Joe is boastful, and family-friendly, where Billy Joe is... not.

8. The National. The ultimate in indie consistency.

9. M.I.A.

10. Caetano Veloso

And backstage:

1.) Barry Beckett, Roger Hawkins, Jimmy Johnson and David Hood ("the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section"). Founded the Muscle Shoals Recording Studio, arguably as important in the 70's and 80's, and continuing through today, as Berry Gordon's studio in the 60's or Sun Studios in the 50's. Artists who recorded there include the Rolling Stones (Sticky Fingers), Herbie Mann, Aretha Franklin, Bob Seger, Alabama, Lynard Skynard, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (separately), right up to the Drive-By Truckers, Bettye LaVette and the Black Keys. The original studio itself is on the U.S. Register of National Historic Places.

2.) T-Bone Burnett. A record producer since 1972, his credits include everyone from B.B. King to the Wallflowers, with two Grammys (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand and the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack) and one Oscar for Best Original Song (The Weary Kind from "Crazy Heart"). A musician himself, he was guitarist for Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue.

3. Jimmy Iovine. Another great producer, most notably with Bruce Springsteen's amazing streak beginning with Born To Run.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

BACKSTAGE WING: (Come on Angelinos. You know who this is. New York or nobody, no radio personality alive today in has the influence the magnitude of this icon. He's an LA icon and So.Californians need to get him in here.)
1. Rodney Bingenheimwr: was the first to play just about everyone from Ramones to Coldplay, Smiths, Cure, Blur, Oasis, Blondie, X, YYYs, Strokes, Travis, Bowie, Nirvana, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Runaways, the Donnas, Suede, Pulp, the Clash, Ash, Elastica, Ride, Siouxsie..., The Pandoras, James, Hole, Garbage, Red Kross, Bratmobile, the Sweet, T.Rex, Roxy Music, Belle and Sebastain, Alice Cooper, Wire, the Buzzcocks, Thin Lizzy, Gary Glitter, Silverhead, Kate Bush, Sex Pistols, Bauhaus,Garbage,the Stone Roses, Supergrass, the Damned, Dickies, Dead Kennedy's, the Germs, X Ray Spex, Bow Wow Wow, Bad Religion, NOFX, Elvis Costello, Sonic Youth, The Blasters, No Doubt, Doves, Elbow, Green Day, Manic Street Preachers, the Cramps, the Specials, Trashcan Sinatras, Placebo, The Divine Comedy, The Sundays, the Happy Mondays, Adam Ant, Devo,Madness, the English Beat, Black Flag, Bikini Kill, Gore Gore Girls, Clinic, Dandy Warhol's, Sleater-Kinney, Catherine Wheel, Nina Hagen, Suzy Quatro, the Go Gos, The Bangles, Bananarama, Oingo Boingo, Dramarama, The Negro Problem, the Horrors, The Sounds, Phantom Planet, The Killers, Interpol, Hot Hot Heat, Muse, The Circle Jerks, the Chills,
the Postmarks, Slade....I can go on for days not to mention being a stand in for Davy Jones and the proud owner of LA's legendary English Disco. Definitely my #1 in every sense of the word.

2. Kim Fowley: both he and Rodney considered Mayor of the Sunset Strip at one point. Runaways creator who would have NEVER gotten away with sexifying teenage girls (all be it with tremendous talent) the way he did back than NOW. Kind a like the John Waters of 70s glam/hard rock with his wild perversion and raunchy imagery. Recently FINALLY buried the hatchet with Lita and yes Cherie Currie.

3.Dr. Demento (come on bring some comedy to the HOF so many songwriters take themselves so seriously and believe the own SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........AVING CREAM;) that references was probably moderately amusing the first time around.

1. Cocteau Twins: Sigur Ros made it in? Yet another band that was clearly inspired by the Cocteaus yet they're not in themselves? What baffles the mind as muppet who sounds exactly like a musician I'm about to mention would say, is how people will say Liz's voice repulses them yet who do we place in the top 21 of this years Artists Poll? Whatever! Even if you think they never released a masterpiece on the level of Loveless you put Cocteaus 10 or 11 BEST singles against Loveless and The Twins could definitely hold their own. Anyway,quite simply the band that started Dreampop which evolved into shoegaze, c86, twee even highly influential on acclaimed dark metal acts as Deftones and Deafheaven. Now that is coming a long, long way. The list of bands they've influenced is in the millions. Everyone MBV, Spacemen 3 and JAMC have influenced can also be mentioned in the same breath as the Cocteaus.

2. Shonen Knife- Can't really think of any twee bands who predated them so they must be considered one of the first and cutest no doubt. Plus the were massive in Japan at one time which is beyond rare;)

3. Teenage Fanclub: while they've never really released anything I'd consider a flat out masterpiece the songs of there's i do enjoy are some of my all time faves and too this day they still manage to put out incredible tracks worthy of making a sensational addition to a tremendous catalog.

4. Manic Street Preachers - The Welsh need representation too and these riveting rockers reward with their relentless rhythmically ferocious glory. They keep putting out universally stellar stunners with sonically shimmering sentiment.

5. Ani Difranco- her name doesn't come up around here but she performs some of the most epic gigs and the smallest venues and she's much more edgy than hipster hippy types like MRS. Andy Sanberg and Laura Maurling(sorry I can't get over how dull she is as well as the former. What happened British girls??!!)
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Only a couple of votes, and it's near the end of the poll! I'm sorry I haven't gotten to the presentations just yet, things have been very busy. I will probably create all of the other induction pages when we wrap up 2013's voting week. I apologize for delaying things.

Now for my votes:

1. M.I.A. (One of the greatest music acts to emerge in the new millennium, forming a unique sound and image synthesizing hip-hop, punk, and her own South Asian heritage. A creator of passionate political messages that speak to the modern day, post-9/11 immigrant in the Western world.)
2. Nat King Cole (In many ways, one of the most important singers of the twentieth century, paving the way for smooth, cool, and suave black performers like Gaye, Brown, Cooke, and Green, and tremendous influence on the R&B genre. One of the finest voices who ever lived.)
3. Siousxie and the Banshees (A highly influential and important punk band. Very important for women in the realm of the rock and alternative genres, and great songwriting and sound.)
4. Deep Purple (Along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, the foremost architects of the hard rock/metal genre. In many ways, compared to the two previously mentioned bands, possibly the most tasteful and intelligent musically speaking.)
5. The Shangri-Las (One of the all-time great girl groups, and it's a real shame they are not in the Rock Hall of Fame, considering their massive influence on the New York punk scene of the 70s i.e. Ramones, Blondie)
6. Janet Jackson
7. Iggy Pop
8. Rage Against the Machine
9. The Ronettes
10. Janelle Monae
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

1. Gorillaz - I like them a lot better than Blur, which is weird. I think actually Plastic Beach is their best album. Also the thing about their earlier stuff that is pretty cool, is that I liked their songs, not knowing who they were from at the time. I just listened to the radio I mean.
2. The National - High Violet is awesome. I did not like Trouble Will Find Me, so they would be lower if 2013 was taken into account. The singer's vocals sort of annoy me, but not on High Violet so much.
3. Jimmy Cliff - Almost as important to reggae as Bob Marley. Has done a long career of good music, but only the early stuff is recognized by critics, which is okay. Great live performer.
4. Green Day - Dookie from what I've read was groundbreaking, but I think their best album is American Idiot. A huge hit with the public, makes everything else that they've done sound worse, if you know what I mean.
5. MIA - Two great albums with really good flow, and of course Paper Planes is a really awesome song on its own.
6. Paul McCartney - Ram is so underrated, a really great album with great melodies. Band on the Run is a little overrated IMO. Then there are a few okay albums. He is kind of unlucky to have three albums bubbling under, should be a little higher on this site.
7. Billy Joel - The Stranger is a really good album. Piano Man is awesome. His 80s stuff isn't that horrible. Prolly good that he hasn't made any new stuff since 1989 though.
8. R. Kelly - I really like the Space Jam song. Ignition is good too.

Backstage:
1. Jimmy Iovine. Kind of a strategic vote, but of course a brilliant producer. In 2011 he did American Idol, so this is the last time I'd vote for him.

I will stop nominating Scaruffi, but if someone else does, then I will vote for him too.
I feel like that
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

1. Iggy Pop

Sure, he's already in for the Stooges. But I think Iggy is deserving for a solo entry as well; The Idiot and Lust for Life are both excellent albums, and "The Passenger" is one of my favorite songs.

2. Jefferson Airplane

Surprised that they're not in. They burned out quickly, but for a brief moment there in the late 60s they were one of the best psychedelic acts around, and their ability to mesh this psychedelia with their pop sensibilities makes them worthy of admission.

3. Rage Against the Machine

Don't blame them for the rap rock sludge that followed. They did it the right way, with real anger and conviction, and their recent number one in Britain for "Killing in the Name" shows that they are symbolic of a wider musical populism and anger against cookie-cutter music.

4. Faust

The most enigmatic of the Krautrockers, which is saying a lot, considering the genre. They could do minimalistic drone music, such as their collaboration with Tony Conrad, but could also thread together quickly-changing music that was anything but minimal, such as The Faust Tapes.

5. Yo La Tengo

No one album is really a masterpiece, but they've been remarkably consistent for decades, and have had an indirect but undeniable influence on a lot of indie music in the 90s and 00s.

6. Dire Straits

I think they're an underrated band, with some good songwriting and (naturally) excellent guitar work from Knopfler.

7. The National
8. Os Mutantes
9. The Allman Brothers Band
10. Weezer

Backstage nominees:
1. Robert Moog - Inventor of the synthesizer, which is easily as influential on popular music as the electric guitar.
2. Ryan Schreiber - founder of Pitchfork, which (like it or not) defined Internet music criticism.
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

Hm, time for some strategic votes...
1. Cocteau Twins - as luvulongTIM pointed out, ancestors of countless shoegaze groups... which doesn't really impress me quite as much as Elizabeth Frazer's vocals; I know, calling someone an angel is kinda pretentious, but I can't really think of better comparision this time. Anyway, they deserve credit and inclusion for both factors.
2. Santana - nowadays he is not very... fashionable, but rockist in me has (almost) always enjoyed his solos - Prince would surely support me here!
3. This Heat - Not the most uplifting group of all time, but their two experimental albums predate post-rock and still sound original and fresh.
4. Tricky - no one can make druggy decadence this fascinating and seductive; Maxinquaye is currently my number 1 for the 90s. Excellent producer too.
5. Avalanches - their first and, unfortunately, last album is not only a brilliant idea; unlike some acts who I would love to love because they seem so smart, cool, well-meaning, sensitive... their music actually works, briliantly accessible, with its postmodern ambitions complemented by a bit of pop silliness and a load of great hooks. Frontier Psychiatrist video is one of my favourite things ever!
6. Carole King
7. Stereolab - as a tribute to European Communism.
8. Jefferson Airplane
9. Albert Ayler
10. Elmore James
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

1. Andrés Calamaro
Calamaro has a great ability: Even his song with the simplest melody has a complex meaning. His music have perfect structures, and each of their notes is honest. You can remove the voice to any of his songs, and the feeling that causes would probably not change. Or you could take away the music and you would stay with a very, very good poem.

2. Shonen Knife
Simple and fun songs. I've always been in love with Ritsuko Taneda. Man, she is perfect. Have any of you ever wondered what would happen if the Ramones would have been tender Japanese girls? Yes, they would have been Shonen Knife.

3. Carlos Santana
Many years ago, when I was a child, in my house we used to have an old record player, the kind that are so big that if they fall over you, you will die. Hahaha, well, I was very young. My parents had a collection of cassettes and acetate discs that used to listen at the turntable. I well remember one day I was walking down the hall, and I heard this music that caught my attention. I approached the turntable and asked what that was. "It's Santana," they said. "It sounds weird." "It's a guitar. It's a musical instrument. Santana is the best guitar player. Sounds good, right?" Until then, I had never paid attention to any of the music played in my house. But there was something about that music... Maybe that day I had no idea what a guitar was, but I knew one thing: I really liked it.

Even today, almost twenty years later, every time I hear that melody I remember that feeling. Now I close my eyes and smile, as the satisfaction that comes when a large problem is fixed suddenly. My first contact with music accompanies me now as a great and dear friend, thanks to Santana. And his name, his name is Europa.

4. Café Tacvba
The best Mexican rock band. They have an advantage: They get all the influence from music in english language, plus Latin music influences. They are not only a very good band, but represent very well the Latin American culture, with all its contradictions and contrasts. The diversity of genres they have played is immense. Even David Bowie will not have time to match their wide variety of genres. And they not only play many genres ... they have played each of them brilliantly.

5. Caifanes
Another great Mexican band, and the second best, just after Café Tacvba. Not usually liked by people outside of Spanish-speaking countries, mainly for its touches of traditional music, such as mariachi. But from here, the mariachi music is not only dedicated to parties or serenades. It is very complex to play music that deserves respect. (That's why the uniform of the mariachi). In much the same way as when you go to a classical music concert. Here, a rock song with mariachi elements, such as La Célula que explota, is equivalent to what in English-speaking countries have, for example, Bohemian Rhapsody.

6. Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
7. Molotov
8. Maldita Vecindad y Los Hijos del Quinto Patio
9. Enanitos Verdes
10. Héroes del Silencio
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Poll is closed. Results will come soon.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Okay, so here are the results. The four inductees of 2011 are Santana, The National, Iggy Pop, and...??? Guess what we have for #4 this year/week, folks? A tie: the very low turn-out for this week contributed to this. I will keep the thread up until 8:00 PM UTC tomorrow. Until that time, choose which of these two artists you would prefer to see inducted:

M.I.A.
Rage Against the Machine
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I will start things off by choosing my own #1 choice, M.I.A.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

rage
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Dammit! I thought for sure my #1 stood a chance the way things turned out last week. Arrrrrg! :angry-banghead: Can't stand Rage so by default

M.I.A
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

JimmyJazz wrote:Okay, so here are the results. The four inductees of 2011 are Santana, The National, Iggy Pop, and...??? Guess what we have for #4 this year/week, folks? A tie: the very low turn-out for this week contributed to this. I will keep the thread up until 8:00 PM UTC tomorrow. Until that time, choose which of these two artists you would prefer to see inducted:

M.I.A.
Rage Against the Machine
Ah, I thought these rounds ended on Sundays, but that was only last week, wasn't it? Anyway, looking at other people''s votes I don't think my ballot would have changed anything (and I have nothing against Santana, The National and Iggy Pop being inducted). And as for M.I.A. vs. Rage Against the Machine...I love them equally! If a deciding vote is necessary I might be able to take a stand later, but I'm so unsure about this that I would prefer if I don't have to.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

M.I.A.

I liked Matangi too, but obv it should not be considered yet.
I feel like that
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I missed the round too, but I promise I will vote for the next. As for the problem at hand, I vote for M.I.A.

I might consider trying to listen to the Cocteau Twins. The passion demonstrated here for them by some forumers is intriguing, and as a fan of MBV's Loveless, Sigur Rós and Massive Attack, it now seems strange that I've never ever listened to a single song by them.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Rage Against the Machine
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

M.I.A.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Just making sure, two votes isn't enough to get Jimmy Iovine inducted?
I feel like that
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Jimmy Iovine is the backstage entry this year/week,
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Sorry I delayed this mini poll, but the winner (and fourth inductee) is, finally, M.I.A.!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”