AM Hall of Acclaim Voting Thread: 2012

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

AM Hall of Acclaim Voting Thread: 2012

Post by JimmyJazz »

The last four inductees were Santana, The National, Iggy Pop, and M.I.A.. The backstage inductee was Jimmy Iovine.

Moving on to another week (and year!) You can view the current inductees of the Hall in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1328

So how this game works is pretty simple: nominate at least five and no more than ten acts that you feel are deserving of being in the AMF Hall. For your list to be considered eligible, however, you have to provide a brief justification for why you personally feel the top five acts on your list deserve to be inducted. This is only required for the first five acts on your list. Additionally, you can nominate up to three “backstage wing” individuals who you feel deserve to be in the Hall. “Backstage wing” types include songwriters, producers, record company founders/owners, music video directors, and critics/scholars. This is entirely optional, however, and your list will not be deemed ineligible if you don’t nominate anyone in this category. Another thing regarding acts: Please consider their work BEFORE the year 2012 when making your choices.

The point system I will be using is as basic as possible: #1 = 10 pts., #2 = 9 pts., and so on. For the backstage lists, if you only include one person, that person will get 3 points, a 2-person list has the second person get 2 points, and so on. I will keep this poll up until the 31st Saturday night 8:00 pm UTC timezone. The top four vote getters will be the inductees of that year. In the case of a tie, a vote will be used to determine the winner.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: AM Hall of Acclaim Voting Thread: 2012

Post by PlasticRam »

Just reminding everyone of Bon Iver, two solid albums now and one good EP IMO. I will edit this post later, kinda busy right now.

Edit: Okay looks like it's not getting support... Still busy though, I will post my list ASAP.

Edit: Okay here's my list:

1. Gorillaz - I like them a lot better than Blur, which is weird. I think actually Plastic Beach is their best album. Also the thing about their earlier stuff that is pretty cool, is that I liked their songs, not knowing who they were from at the time. I just listened to the radio I mean.
2. Bon Iver - Perfect discography so far IMO. I like Justin Vernon's vocals. Also cool how he uses auto-tune in 'Woods' as an instrument, not a voice enhancer. And that led into an awesome collaboration.
3. Jimmy Cliff - Almost as important to reggae as Bob Marley. Has done a long career of good music, but only the early stuff is recognized by critics, which is okay. Great live performer.
4. Green Day - Dookie from what I've read was groundbreaking, but I think their best album is American Idiot. A huge hit with the public, makes everything else that they've done sound worse, if you know what I mean.
5. Paul McCartney - Ram is so underrated, a really great album with great melodies. Band on the Run is a little overrated IMO. Then there are a few okay albums. He is kind of unlucky to have three albums bubbling under, should be a little higher on this site.
6. Billy Joel - The Stranger is a really good album. Piano Man is awesome. His 80s stuff isn't that horrible. Prolly good that he hasn't made any new stuff since 1989 though.
7. R. Kelly - I really like the Space Jam song. Ignition is good too.

Backstage:
1. Ryan Schreiber - Strategic vote, founder of Pitchfork. Pitchfork just seems to be like the number one critical authority at the moment, so why not.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I feel like that
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I too thought that the voting of last week would last longer, otherwise RATM would be in ^^

1. Built to Spill
Forget Pavement, Built to Spill released the greatest indie trilogy of the 90s, with gut wrenching evocative guitar, wonderful lyrics and a constant evolution.
2. Modest Mouse
Modest Mouse is actually one of the very few bands to have in my book a trilogy that can compare with Built to Spill 90s output (from The Lonesome Crowded West to Good News For People Who Love Bad News). Both bands basically share the same qualities, Modest Mouse behind the rawer side of the coin.
3. Hot Chip
LCD Soundsystem is the biggest electro rock revolution, but by melting geekiness and melancholy so skillfully on the dancefloor, Hot Chip deserves the gold medal.
4. Puppetmastaz
In 2009 they released their worst album, that makes me bring them down a bit... because at the end of 2009 I was quite angry about that !
5. IAM
IAM (and related side projects) is pretty much the French Wu-Tang, mixing oriental samples, kung-fu references and most importantly some of the best written and delivered lyrics in the history of French hip-hop
6. Gorillaz
7. Rage Against the Machine
8. At the Drive-In
9. Fugazi
10. Low
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

One advantage of never backing a winner is that I can cut and paste over and over and over...

1. B.B. King. I thought we'd locked up a spot last year, but, no... To be honest, his huge discography is built around a dozen or so famous tracks reinterpreted over and over on a multitude of live albums (nineteen on RYM!), compilations and collaborations. But what tracks! He might not have invented Electric Blues, but he introduced more people to the blues than anyone else, IMO. This year he released his "Live at Albert Hall" with members of the Tedeschi-Trucks Band; while some of the stage patter bordered on "creepy old uncle" territory, his voice (recorded at age 85) is still there.

2. Carole King. Critically under-rated songwriter, she forms, along with James Taylor, the link between Tin Pan Alley and the singer-songwriter genre (as in, she belonged to both camps). Unfortunately, her second album, "Tapestry", was such a huge success that her much more modest output over the last forty years has been mostly ignored.

3. Rage Against The Machine. Politically motivated music that captures the anger of the times, plus kick ass raps, plus blistering nu-metal guitars. What's not to love?

4. Billy Joel. Ok, huge amounts of pop-cheese at his worst, but at his best (Piano Man, New York State of Mind, Movin' Out) he was the quintessential 70's songwriter.

5. Green Day. Disastrous 2012 with three TERRIBLE albums released in sequence, followed by the meltdown at the iHeart music festival (which may have been a stunt, may have been a cry for help, and may have been a really bad case of festival curating, but go back and tell me what Billy Joe said that wasn't true as in "You're cutting me short for Justin f'ing Bieber?"), Billy Joe Armstrong is still the ultimate frontman of the post-punk generation; no one puts on a better (profanity-laced) show.

6. Weezer. Except possibly Rivers Cuomo, who is subdued where Billy Joe is brash, humble where Billy Joe is boastful, and family-friendly, where Billy Joe is... not. Two great albums (blue and Pinkerton) followed by a lot of inconsistency, but even the worst of his releases have a gem or two that makes me smile and hum.

7. Caetano Veloso

8. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

9. Jefferson Airplane.

10. Norah Jones. For me 2012's "Little Broken Hearts" was her first great album. Never a critical favourite, I think she may have the best contemporary pop vocal voice.

And backstage:

1.) Barry Beckett, Roger Hawkins, Jimmy Johnson and David Hood ("the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section"). Founded the Muscle Shoals Recording Studio, arguably as important in the 70's and 80's, and continuing through today, as Berry Gordon's studio in the 60's or Sun Studios in the 50's. Artists who recorded there include the Rolling Stones (Sticky Fingers), Herbie Mann, Aretha Franklin, Bob Seger, Alabama, Lynard Skynard, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (separately), right up to the Drive-By Truckers, Bettye LaVette and the Black Keys. The original studio itself is on the U.S. Register of National Historic Places.

2.) T-Bone Burnett. A record producer since 1972, his credits include everyone from B.B. King to the Wallflowers, with two Grammys (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand and the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack) and one Oscar for Best Original Song (The Weary Kind from "Crazy Heart"). In 2012 alone, he produced albums by Diana Krall, The Chieftains, Lisa Marie Presley, and competed against himself with TWO Grammy nominations for the Hunger Games soundtrack. A musician himself, he was guitarist for Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue.

3.) Alan Parsons. Assistant recording engineer on "Let It Be" and "Abbey Road", he took over the big chair for "Dark Side of the Moon" (his first Grammy), then reinvented the Hollies over the course of five albums, THEN produced eleven albums as the Alan Parsons Project (the early ones were groundbreaking, the last was never released but by all reports was a minimalist atonal soundscape that probably would have gotten raves here at AM). I was reminded of his history when I noticed the recording engineer of a not-yet-released (in 2012) project "The Raven That Refused To Sing" which proves old Prog Rockers never die.
Last edited by DocBrown on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Actually, Doc, The National are already inducted, as mentioned in my first post :)
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

JimmyJazz wrote:Actually, Doc, The National are already inducted, as mentioned in my first post :)
You get so used to failure... :whistle:
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1. Todd Rundgren/Utopia - one of the most prolific innovators for the past 40 years. My favorites by Todd include: Hello It's Me, I Saw the Light, Can We Still Be Friends, Compassion, Just One Victory, The Last Ride, Love Is the Answer, We Gotta Get You a Woman, Bang the Drum All Day, Be Nice To Me, Caravan, Chain Letter, A Dream Goes On Forever, Fidelity, Hideaway, Hope I'm Around, It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, Izaat Love?, Long Flowing Robe, No World Order, Parole, Property, Real Man, Sometimes I Don't Know What to Feel, Time Heals, Couldn't I Just Tell You, Dust In the Wind, Crybaby, Mated, Mimi Gets Mad, and The Ikon

2. Yes - The composition and execution by Yes was amazing. Hopefully those who voted for Yes in earlier voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

3. Carole King - one of the best female songwriters ever. Hopefully those who voted for Carole King in earlier voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

4. Billy Joel - I can still remember his fantastic concert at Stony Brook in 1974. Hopefully those who voted for Billy Joel in earlier AM HOF voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

5. B. B. King - The Thrill Is Gone is one of my faves. Clearly I am attempting to join some bandwagons to get some of my favorites into the hall.

6. Genesis - One of the more talented prog rock innovators with both Gabriel and Collins as front men. Favorites include: Behind the Lines, Home By the Sea, Throwing It All Away, Misunderstanding, In Too Deep, Taking It All Too Hard, Invisible Touch, Please Don't Ask, Turn It On Again, ABACAB and Follow You, Follow Me

7. Allman Brothers - One of the first big time Southern Rock bands. Fantastic dual guitars from Dickie Betts and Duane Allman. My favorites include: Whipping Post, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Blue Sky, Melissa, Ramblin' Man, Southbound, and Jessica

8. Joe Jackson - eclectic performer who readily adapted to include jazz elements in his new wave masterpieces. Favorites include: You Can't Get What You Want, Breaking Us In Two, Is She Really Going Out With Him?, It's Different for Girls, Steppin' Out, Be My Number Two, Don't Wanna Be Like That, One More Time and Pretty Girls

9. Style Council - Paul Weller's vocals are sublime. My favorites include: My Ever Changing Moods, You're the Best Thing, How She Threw It All Away, Heavens Above, The Cost of Loving, Boy Who Cried Wolf, The Lodgers, and Shout to the Top

10. Joe Satriani - fast and melodic. My favorite guitarist since Hendrix

11. Peter Gabriel

12. Jackson Browne

13. Grateful Dead

14. Paul McCartney
Last edited by Henry on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

1. B.B. King- Simply one of the biggest and most influential figures in blues music. His innovations on the guitar are still heard today

2. Grateful Dead- One of the most prominent figures in classic psychedelic rock. These guys inspired generations of dead-heads to come.

3. Green Day- Influential punk band. They gave us Dookie, American Idiot, and "Good Riddance"

4. Justin Timberlake- He is by far the most important mainstream pop artists of this generation. Call him the modern day Michael Jackson if you will.

5. Modest Mouse- I don't think there is an indie-rock band out there who wouldn't list these guys as a major influence.
6. Herbie Hancock
7. Paul McCartney
8. Manic Street Preachers
9. Carole King
10. Rage Against the Machine
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

1. The Tallest Man on Earth (The only artist for whom 'The next Dylan' is not far from the mark)
2. Betty Davis (Raunchy, funky, spectacularly entertaining)
3. Richard & Linda Thompson (Creators of two of the greatest folk albums of all time)
4. Jorge Ben (Os Mutantes may be the best band, but Jorge is the greatest thing Brazil has ever produced)
5. Gene Clark (Both solo and with The Byrds: phenomenal)
6. Little Feat
7. Townes van Zandt
8. John Fahey
9. Jackson C. Frank
10. Cara Dillon

Backstage:
The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

OK, I find myself in a pretty strange situation. So far, four of the people I've backed have made it in, which is WAY more than I expected when I first voted. I doubt anyone else will get in, except if Bashung and Calamaro repeat the Soda scenario, which I'll try to arrange by a quick reshuffling of my top 3. But I'm still disappointed that it has to work this way.

1. Alain Bashung
This guy is the most underrated French rock singers of all times out there. Half of his albums are classics, and some songs, such as "La nuit je mens", "Ma petite entreprise", "Gaby oh Gaby", "Résidents de la République" or "Osez Joséphine" are legendary here in France.

2. Andrés Calamaro
A recent discovery, and one of the most pleasant. He is seen as one the biggest Argentinian rockers of all times. His double album "Honestidad brutal" is one of the most expensive Spanigh-language albums ever (250 000 dollars), having done roughly a hundred songs, of which "only" 37 ended on the album.

3. Léo Ferré
He might be the single greatest French chanson singer of all times. His songs showcase a versatile songwriting style with one of the most prolific vocabulary from any chanson songwriter. Favourites: "Avec le temps", "La Mémoire et la Mer", "La Solitude", "C'est extra" (this one has aged badly though)...

4. Mecano
A really sweet Spanish pop act of the 80s. "Hijo de la luna" or "Mujer contra mujer" are among the most beautiful pop ballads I ever heard.

5. Noir Désir
The greatest French rock band of all time, they just brought grunge to the hexagon, included some French influences in it and turned their sound into a sonic alternative revolution. "Tostaky", "L'Homme pressé", "Un jour en France", "Le vent l'emportera", "Aux sombres héros de la mer"...

6. IAM
They authored the French hip-hop album "L'École du micro d'argent", if you understood French lyrics, it should have been enough. :music-rockon:

7. Underworld
The guys who made me fall in love with electronic music. Give me more of "Cowgirl", "Born Slippy", "Juanita/Kiteless/This Dream of Love", "Pearl's Girl", "Jumbo"...

8. Georges Brassens
Romain has been right to back him since the beginning, he is one of the greatest French singer-songwriters of all time, but strangely he never made it in my favorites, due to a combination of radio overplay of some of his songs and lack of a personal inclination toward folk music. Still, he deserves to be up there.

9. Édith Piaf
For some reason, I was sure she was already in but it appears she's not. Well, at least this vote might be a reminder to people about how great and deserving of inclusion she is.

10. Orbital
Alongside Underworld and Aphex Twin, they were early favourites of mine in electronic music, so here they are. I would love to see more electro freaks on this forum.

Backstage wing:
1. Pierre Barouh
Mostly remembered by many as the guy who sang the title song of "A Man and a Woman/Un homme et une femme" alongside Nicole Croisille, he is most of all the guy who introduced Bossa Nova in France before founding the "Saravah" label, on which some seminal French acts recorded, such as Brigitte Fontaine, Jacques Higelin or Jean-Roger Caussimon.

2. Dee Nasty
French DJ who practically created the French hip-hop subculture.

3. Bob Ezrin
Him and Robert John "Mutt" Lange produced some of the most entertaining hard rock albums in history. I'm surprised the two of them do not gather more support from roots lovers here. It's somewhat a little strange for me to support them since their entertaining properties have more or less faded out of my tastes long ago.

4. Bob Geldof
5. Robert John "Mutt" Lange
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

BACKSTAGE WING: (Come on Angelinos. You know who this is. New York or nobody, no radio personality alive today in has the influence the magnitude of this icon. He's an LA icon and So.Californians need to get him in here.)
1. Rodney Bingenheimwr: was the first to play just about everyone from Ramones to Coldplay, Smiths, Cure, Blur, Oasis, Blondie, X, YYYs, Strokes, Travis, Bowie, Nirvana, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Runaways, the Donnas, Suede, Pulp, the Clash, Ash, Elastica, Ride, Siouxsie..., The Pandoras, James, Hole, Garbage, Red Kross, Bratmobile, the Sweet, T.Rex, Roxy Music, Belle and Sebastain, Alice Cooper, Wire, the Buzzcocks, Thin Lizzy, Gary Glitter, Silverhead, Kate Bush, Sex Pistols, Bauhaus,Garbage,the Stone Roses, Supergrass, the Damned, Dickies, Dead Kennedy's, the Germs, X Ray Spex, Bow Wow Wow, Bad Religion, NOFX, Elvis Costello, Sonic Youth, The Blasters, No Doubt, Doves, Elbow, Green Day, Manic Street Preachers, the Cramps, the Specials, Trashcan Sinatras, Placebo, The Divine Comedy, The Sundays, the Happy Mondays, Adam Ant, Devo,Madness, the English Beat, Black Flag, Bikini Kill, Gore Gore Girls, Clinic, Dandy Warhol's, Sleater-Kinney, Catherine Wheel, Nina Hagen, Suzy Quatro, the Go Gos, The Bangles, Bananarama, Oingo Boingo, Dramarama, The Negro Problem, the Horrors, The Sounds, Phantom Planet, The Killers, Interpol, Hot Hot Heat, Muse, The Circle Jerks, the Chills,
the Postmarks, Slade....I can go on for days not to mention being a stand in for Davy Jones and the proud owner of LA's legendary English Disco. Definitely my #1 in every sense of the word.

2. Kim Fowley: both he and Rodney considered Mayor of the Sunset Strip at one point. Runaways creator who would have NEVER gotten away with sexifying teenage girls (all be it with tremendous talent) the way he did back than NOW. Kind a like the John Waters of 70s glam/hard rock with his wild perversion and raunchy imagery. Recently FINALLY buried the hatchet with Lita and yes Cherie Currie.

3.Dr. Demento (come on bring some comedy to the HOF so many songwriters take themselves so seriously and believe the own SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........AVING CREAM;) that references was probably moderately amusing the first time around.

1. Cocteau Twins: Sigur Ros made it in? Yet another band that was clearly inspired by the Cocteaus yet they're not in themselves? What baffles the mind as muppet who sounds exactly like a musician I'm about to mention would say, is how people will say Liz's voice repulses them yet who do we place in the top 21 of this years Artists Poll? Whatever! Even if you think they never released a masterpiece on the level of Loveless you put Cocteaus 10 or 11 BEST singles against Loveless and The Twins could definitely hold their own. Anyway,quite simply the band that started Dreampop which evolved into shoegaze, c86, twee even highly influential on acclaimed dark metal acts as Deftones and Deafheaven. Now that is coming a long, long way. The list of bands they've influenced is in the millions. Everyone MBV, Spacemen 3 and JAMC have influenced can also be mentioned in the same breath as the Cocteaus.

2. Shonen Knife- Can't really think of any twee bands who predated them so they must be considered one of the first and cutest no doubt. Plus the were massive in Japan at one time which is beyond rare;)

3. Teenage Fanclub: while they've never really released anything I'd consider a flat out masterpiece the songs of there's i do enjoy are some of my all time faves and too this day they still manage to put out incredible tracks worthy of making a sensational addition to a tremendous catalog.

4. Manic Street Preachers - The Welsh need representation too and these riveting rockers reward with their relentless rhythmically ferocious glory. They keep putting out universally stellar stunners with sonically shimmering sentiment.

5. Ani Difranco- her name doesn't come up around here but she performs some of the most epic gigs and the smallest venues and she's much more edgy than hipster hippy types like MRS. Andy Sanberg and Laura Maurling(sorry I can't get over how dull she is as well as the former. What happened British girls??!!)
6. The Gore Gore Girls
7. The Frames
8. The Runaways
9. Whitney Houston
10. Sleater-Kinney
Last edited by luvulongTIM on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Changing up my own list a bit in order to get a consensus going:

1. Nat King Cole (In many ways, one of the most important singers of the twentieth century, paving the way for smooth, cool, and suave black performers like Gaye, Brown, Cooke, and Green, and tremendous influence on the R&B genre. One of the finest voices who ever lived.)
2. Siousxie and the Banshees (A highly influential and important punk band. Very important for women in the realm of the rock and alternative genres, and great songwriting and sound.)
3. Deep Purple (Along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, the foremost architects of the hard rock/metal genre. In many ways, compared to the two previously mentioned bands, possibly the most tasteful and intelligent musically speaking.)
4. The Shangri-Las (A massive influence on the New York punk scene, and one of the all-time great girl groups)
5. Rage Against the Machine (Totally cutting political messages fused with searing metal makes this band a unique and extremely influential one)
6. Janet Jackson
7. Edith Piaf
8. B B King
9. Janelle Monae
10. Carole King
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Blanco wrote:I have a feeling that there will be a draw.
JimmyJazz wrote:Okay, so here are the results. The four inductees of 2011 are Santana, The National, Iggy Pop, and...??? Guess what we have for #4 this year/week, folks? A tie
I knew it!
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

1. Andrés Calamaro
Calamaro has a great ability: Even his song with the simplest melody has a complex meaning. His music have perfect structures, and each of their notes is honest. You can remove the voice to any of his songs, and the feeling that causes would probably not change. Or you could take away the music and you would stay with a very, very good poem. Calamaro has been in bands such as Los Rodríguez, or Los Abuelos de la Nada, besides having an excellent solo career.
Recommendations: Los Rodríguez - Sin documentos, Los Abuelos de la Nada - Mil Horas, Andrés Calamaro - Flaca

2. Shonen Knife
Simple and fun songs. I've always been in love with Ritsuko Taneda. Man, she is perfect. Have any of you ever wondered what would happen if the Ramones would have been tender Japanese girls? Yes, they would have been Shonen Knife.
Top of The World, Twist Barbie, Tortoise Brand Pot Scrubbing Cleaner's Theme (Green Tortoise)

3. Café Tacvba
The best Mexican rock band. They have an advantage: They get all the influence from music in english language, plus Latin music influences. They are not only a very good band, but represent very well the Latin American culture, with all its contradictions and contrasts. The diversity of genres they have played is immense. Even David Bowie will not have time to match their wide variety of genres. And they not only play many genres ... they have played each of them brilliantly.
La Ingrata, Eres (One of the most beautiful love songs of all time), Las Flores

4. Caifanes
Another great Mexican band, and the second best, just after Café Tacvba. Not usually liked by people outside of Spanish-speaking countries, mainly for its touches of traditional music, such as mariachi. But from here, the mariachi music is not only dedicated to parties or serenades. It is very complex to play music that deserves respect. (That's why the uniform of the mariachi). In much the same way as when you go to a classical music concert. Here, a rock song with mariachi elements, such as La Célula que explota, is equivalent to what in English-speaking countries have, for example, Bohemian Rhapsody.
La Célula que explota, Viento, Afuera

5. Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
They are one of the most influential groups in rock in Spanish. They use reggae rhythms, jazz, and African music, seamlessly mixing them in a very special and distinguishable way. They are an unconventional band, but they are and will be one of the most listened bands in Latin America.
Matador, El Genio del Dub, Vasos Vacíos (feat. Celia Cruz)

6. Molotov
Gimme Tha Power

7. Maldita Vecindad y Los Hijos del Quinto Patio
Pachuco

8. Enanitos Verdes
La Muralla Verde

9. Héroes del Silencio

Entre dos Tierras

10. Sui Generis
Rasguña las piedras
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Thread bump!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain, are you still playing the game? Since you are the only one who voted Alain Bashung beside me, I could use some help to get him in :)

Else, I'll give the top spot to Andrés Calamaro on the next round, if he does not get in on this one. If I can get five of the acts I backed in the Hall, it will make a round number :D But I'm already happy with my score so far!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bumping this again since Moonbeam is currently on the forum, and with his vote their might just be a chance to get Siousxie and Janet in the Hall!
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

My backstage:

Julián Carrillo
He was a composer, conductor, violinist and Mexican scientist, considered by many experts as one of the most important composers of the country and an important microtonal music pioneer.

He conducted research on the microtonal music since the late nineteenth century and developed the theory of Sonido 13, the first attempt to formalize the systematic study of microtonal music. He was also director of the National Conservatory of Music and the National Symphony Orchestra of Mexico, and founded the Beethoven Symphony Orchestra and the Orchestra of Sonido 13, based in New York. He designed and built microtonal pianos and harps to play their compositions in an effort that gathered sound knowledge, strength of materials and music theory.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

1. Siouxsie and the Banshees - I'm elevating them to #1 to give them a boost. They are so much more than punk, post-punk, or goth. One of the most diverse and capable artists of the last 40 years. Listening to albums from the 1980s poll, it amazes me that they didn't place one single album but R.E.M. managed six. Sheesh.

2. Janet Jackson - My favorite artist not yet inducted. She defined pop music for me for awhile.

3. Kylie Minogue - Her run of albums from 1997-2003 is absolutely stunning.

4. Annie - Even with just 2 eligible albums at this point, she would threaten my top 10 of all time.

5. Grace Jones - The baddest chick in music history with some awesome albums to boot.

6. Janelle Monae

7. Aaliyah

8. Missy Elliott

9. Annie Lennox

10. Donna Summer
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

JimmyJazz wrote:Bumping this again since Moonbeam is currently on the forum, and with his vote their might just be a chance to get Siousxie and Janet in the Hall!

I'm pure evil;) I would have definitely put Siouxsie in my top 5 but I knew it would likely affect the outcome of my #1 band getting in the HOF. Right now it's not looking good for my #1 (HINT! HINT! fellow Cocteau Twins voter;) so I really should have voted for them and made them a shoe in to get in. Ma bad. D'oh! :angry-banghead:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

1. Ennio Morricone - I love film music and Morricone is my favorite composer. His scores for Leone's Dollar trilogy (including of course "The Good the Bad and the Ugly") and "Once Upon a Time in the West" are absolute classics.
2. Low - Another artist that has gained popularity here lately, and deservedly so. The slowcore masters.
3. Dead Can Dance - I've known and liked this band for a long time, but they really clicked with me earlier this year. Totally unique. Well, they have many followers but no one can match them.
4. Orchestra Baobab - With the discovery of their "Mouhamadou Bamba" album for the 1980 poll, they definitely became my favorite African band. Thir music is just gorgeous.
5. Astor Piazzolla - In 2008, I voted for Piazzolla basically on the merit of "Libertango" and the "Tango: Zero Hour" album. Since then I've discovered several other songs that are equally great, such as "Adios Nonino" and "Oblivion".
6. Rage Against the Machine
7. Siouxsie & The Banshees
8. Edith Piaf
9. Genesis
10. Iron Maiden
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Great work on all of this Mr. JimmyJazz. I've been working a lot, studying, so those blood-thirsty teachers won't fail me, and planning an european exchange experience. I didn't have the time to contribute to any of your threads. I hope I do in the near future when this AM Hall of Fame thing start happening yearly once again. Cheers and congratulations!

If I were to post a list -- and In case John Cage wasn't deemed eligible, although I feel his contributions went further into the popular music world than other classical artists, I'd add Brigitte Fontaine at #10 for subverting what it meant to be a female french chanson artist during most of the 60s and building an incredible legacy of avant-garde music along with Areski during the 70s.

1. John Cage
2. Os Mutantes
3. Gal Costa
4. Laurie Anderson
5. Tom Zé
6. Cateano Veloso
7. The Fall
8. Stereolab
9. Nico
10. Art Ensemble of Chicago
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

1. Cocteau Twins - never gonna give you up! Influence, voice etc.
2. Tricky - no one can make druggy decadence this fascinating and seductive; Maxinquaye is currently my number 1 for the 90s. Excellent producer too.
3. Carole King - Tapestry is propably the most underappreciated among AM top 100 albums and it's easy to see, why - it's really modest record, relatively minor compared to giants like A Love Supreme, Loveless and many others - but the fact it doesn't have their ambitions doesn't imply it achieves less musical-wise!
4. This Heat - Not the most uplifting group of all time, but their two experimental albums predate post-rock and still sound original and fresh.
5. Avalanches - their first and, unfortunately, last album is not only a brilliant idea; unlike some acts who I would love to love because they seem so smart, cool, well-meaning, sensitive... their music actually works, briliantly accessible, with its postmodern ambitions complemented by a bit of pop silliness and a load of great hooks. Frontier Psychiatrist video is one of my favourite things ever!
6. Stereolab
7. Tindersticks
8. Jefferson Airplane
9. Albert Ayler
10. Elmore James
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

1. Rage Against the Machine

(A slight boost to make sure they get in this time). Don't blame them for the rap rock sludge that followed. They did it the right way, with real anger and conviction, and their recent number one in Britain for "Killing in the Name" shows that they are symbolic of a wider musical populism and anger against cookie-cutter music.

2. Yes

In many ways, they represent both the intricacies and excesses of prog rock, but I think even their most pretentious pieces are worth listening to. At their best, they were able to craft together meticulously structured rock suites that shift from melody to melody without ever feeling disorienting.

3. Jefferson Airplane

Surprised that they're not in. They burned out quickly, but for a brief moment there in the late 60s they were one of the best psychedelic acts around, and their ability to mesh this psychedelia with their pop sensibilities makes them worthy of admission.

4. Faust

The most enigmatic of the Krautrockers, which is saying a lot, considering the genre. They could do minimalistic drone music, such as their collaboration with Tony Conrad, but could also thread together quickly-changing music that was anything but minimal, such as The Faust Tapes.

5. Yo La Tengo

No one album is really a masterpiece, but they've been remarkably consistent for decades, and have had an indirect but undeniable influence on a lot of indie music in the 90s and 00s.

6. Os Mutantes

They're my gateway into the larger tropicalia movement, but are also very excellent songwriters even when not taken in context of the larger scene.

7. Dire Straits

I think they're an underrated band, with some good songwriting and (naturally) excellent guitar work from Knopfler.

8. The Allman Brothers Band
9. Weezer
10. Gorillaz

Backstage nominees:
1. Robert Moog - Inventor of the synthesizer, which is easily as influential on popular music as the electric guitar.
2. Ryan Schreiber - founder of Pitchfork, which (like it or not) defined Internet music criticism.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Poll is closed. Results revealed soon.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

The 2012 AM Hall of Acclaim inductees are 4 acts who have been waiting in the wings for a long long time: Rage Against the Machine, B. B. King, Carole King, and (yessss!!!!) Siousxie and The Banshees! As for the backstage wing, are inductee(s) are the legendary Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section.

It should be noted that I, in fact, did include HRS's ballot, even though he didn't provide descriptions for it. This will be explained in my starting post for the final induction voting thread, which will be posted tomorrow morning.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Finally glad to see B.B. King in!
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”