AM Hall of Acclaim Voting Thread: 2013 (LAST THREAD IN POLL)

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

AM Hall of Acclaim Voting Thread: 2013 (LAST THREAD IN POLL)

Post by JimmyJazz »

The last four inductees were Rage Against the Machine, B. B. King, Carole King, and Siousxie and the Banshees. The backstage inductee was the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section.

This is the last round of voting for the AM Hall this year, and I would like to take the time to say that it has been a blast hosting this poll! Thanks to everyone for voting, and demonstrating their unique but always great musical tastes! You can view the current inductees of the Hall in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1328

Please read this, as it has some important info in it this time:

So how this game works is pretty simple: nominate at least five and no more than ten acts that you feel are deserving of being in the AMF Hall. For the past few weeks, I have made it so that a list won't be eligible unless the first five acts have justifications for them. Recently, however, thanks to HRS's recent ballot in the 2012 voting thread, I have decided to change the rules a little. For this last voting round, you DO NOT have to give justifications for your first five picks, although it is still strongly encouraged. Hopefully, this will help get even more votes for the final four inductees (until next year, that is!). Additionally, you can nominate up to three “backstage wing” individuals who you feel deserve to be in the Hall. “Backstage wing” types include songwriters, producers, record company founders/owners, music video directors, and critics/scholars. This is entirely optional, however, and your list will not be deemed ineligible if you don’t nominate anyone in this category. Another thing regarding acts: Please consider their work BEFORE the year 2013 when making your choices.

The point system I will be using is as basic as possible: #1 = 10 pts., #2 = 9 pts., and so on. For the backstage lists, if you only include one person, that person will get 3 points, a 2-person list has the second person get 2 points, and so on. I will keep this poll up until the 7th Saturday night 8:00 pm UTC timezone. The top four vote getters will be the inductees of that year. In the case of a tie, a vote will be used to determine the winner.

With that all said and taken care of, Let the final countdown begin!
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: AM Hall of Acclaim Voting Thread: 2013 (LAST THREAD IN P

Post by Blanco »

Thanks for hosting this game, James!

1. Andrés Calamaro
Calamaro has a great ability: Even his song with the simplest melody has a complex meaning. His music have perfect structures, and each of their notes is honest. You can remove the voice to any of his songs, and the feeling that causes would probably not change. Or you could take away the music and you would stay with a very, very good poem. Calamaro has been in bands such as Los Rodríguez, or Los Abuelos de la Nada, besides having an excellent solo career.
Recommendations: Los Rodríguez - Sin documentos, Los Abuelos de la Nada - Mil Horas, Andrés Calamaro - Flaca

2. Shonen Knife
Simple and fun songs. I've always been in love with Ritsuko Taneda. Man, she is perfect. Have any of you ever wondered what would happen if the Ramones would have been tender Japanese girls? Yes, they would have been Shonen Knife.
Top of The World, Twist Barbie, Tortoise Brand Pot Scrubbing Cleaner's Theme (Green Tortoise)

3. Café Tacvba
The best Mexican rock band. They have an advantage: They get all the influence from music in english language, plus Latin music influences. They are not only a very good band, but represent very well the Latin American culture, with all its contradictions and contrasts. The diversity of genres they have played is immense. Even David Bowie will not have time to match their wide variety of genres. And they not only play many genres ... they have played each of them brilliantly.
La Ingrata, Eres (One of the most beautiful love songs of all time), Las Flores

4. Caifanes
Another great Mexican band, and the second best, just after Café Tacvba. Not usually liked by people outside of Spanish-speaking countries, mainly for its touches of traditional music, such as mariachi. But from here, the mariachi music is not only dedicated to parties or serenades. It is very complex to play music that deserves respect. (That's why the uniform of the mariachi). In much the same way as when you go to a classical music concert. Here, a rock song with mariachi elements, such as La Célula que explota, is equivalent to what in English-speaking countries have, for example, Bohemian Rhapsody.
La Célula que explota, Viento, Afuera

5. Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
They are one of the most influential groups in rock in Spanish. They use reggae rhythms, jazz, and African music, seamlessly mixing them in a very special and distinguishable way. They are an unconventional band, but they are and will be one of the most listened bands in Latin America.
Matador, El Genio del Dub, Vasos Vacíos (feat. Celia Cruz)

6. Molotov
Gimme Tha Power

7. Maldita Vecindad y Los Hijos del Quinto Patio
Pachuco

8. Enanitos Verdes
La Muralla Verde

9. Héroes del Silencio

Entre dos Tierras

10. Sui Generis
Rasguña las piedras

Backstage:

Julián Carrillo
He was a composer, conductor, violinist and Mexican scientist, considered by many experts as one of the most important composers of the country and an important microtonal music pioneer.
He conducted research on the microtonal music since the late nineteenth century and developed the theory of Sonido 13, the first attempt to formalize the systematic study of microtonal music. He was also director of the National Conservatory of Music and the National Symphony Orchestra of Mexico, and founded the Beethoven Symphony Orchestra and the Orchestra of Sonido 13, based in New York. He designed and built microtonal pianos and harps to play their compositions in an effort that gathered sound knowledge, strength of materials and music theory.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Yes, thanks JimmyJazz, for all your work in reviving this tradition. Not only are you performing a valuable public service (keeping me off the streets), but as a result of bringing the AM Hall of Acclaim up to date, you have immortalized these sixteen (soon to be twenty) artists for as long as the internet continues to perpetuate ill-thought selfies, juvenile flame wars and American hegemony. :mrgreen:

Not only that, but last month three of my regular votes were inducted, along with my long-time top backstage pick. I feel like I should be writing an acceptance speech for the award ceremonies. My tux is at the cleaners.

And since this is the last time to pick for a full year(!) I'm going to change my approach, and try to improve the Hall of Acclaim's Foreign wing.

1. Angelique Kidjo. One of the first African artists to get widespread global distribution, she has not only popularized Beninese music, but opened up Afrobeat and Carribean Zouk to much wider popular acclaim. Forced to abandon Benin as a refugee, she has reinvested in many African charitable, social and political ventures to support political and social equality, particularly for African women.

2. Caetano Veloso. As a founder of Tropicalismo, he helped popularize Brazilian rhythms and traditional music by fusing them to Rock and Roll. Latin voters here have nominated Os Mutantes, but I've always found Veloso's music more accessible. Certainly, for me, he is the most important Latin songwriter, the equivalent of a Serge Gainsborough or Bob Dylan. Veloso also was persecuted for his political stance, imprisoned and exiled by Brazil's former military dictatorship. He has been active in recent years in the fight against poverty, homelessness and AIDS, both in Brazil and around the world.

3. Crowded House. The first Australian rock band to have great success stateside and in Europe (perhaps moreso the latter). Neil Finn is another of the truly great songwriters of the 90's, and Tim Finn proved his rock credentials with Split Enz in the 70's, as well as his work with Crowded House.

4. Norah Jones. Ok, not a foreign artist, although her father was Ravi Shankar. A great vocal performer and interpreter, I think she may have the best contemporary pop voice, the modern day equivalent of Patsy Cline. She has collaborated with a who's who of today's musicians from country, rock, hip-hop, world music and pop.

5. Youssou N'Dour. Another great African voice, popularized Mbalax (Senegalese) music, collaborated with everyone from Lou Reed to Bran Van 3000.

6. Edith Piaf. Like Pierre last month, I'm surprised to learn she is not already in. The first chanteusse I ever heard, her unmistakeable vocal style is just rivetting. I've literallly stopped in my tracks to listen to her voice in a crowded shopping mall at Christmas.

7. Jimmy Cliff. The second greatest living popularizer of reggae. After Chris Blackwell.

And backstage, cut and paste:

1.) T-Bone Burnett. A record producer since 1972, his credits include everyone from B.B. King to the Wallflowers, with two Grammys (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand and the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack) and one Oscar for Best Original Song (The Weary Kind from "Crazy Heart"). In 2012 alone, he produced albums by Diana Krall, The Chieftains, Lisa Marie Presley, and competed against himself with TWO Grammy nominations for the Hunger Games soundtrack. A musician himself, he was guitarist for Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue.

2.) Alan Parsons. Assistant recording engineer on "Let It Be" and "Abbey Road", he took over the big chair for "Dark Side of the Moon" (his first Grammy), then reinvented the Hollies over the course of five albums, THEN produced eleven albums as the Alan Parsons Project (the early ones were groundbreaking, the last was never released but by all reports was a minimalist atonal soundscape that probably would have gotten raves here at AM). I was reminded of his history when I noticed the recording engineer of a not-yet-released (in 2012) project "The Raven That Refused To Sing" which proves old Prog Rockers never die.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:For this last voting round, you DO NOT have to give justifications for your first five picks, although it is still strongly encouraged.
I'll take it, most of my entries have been around since the beginning of the game anyway!

Thank you again JimmyJazz for hosting this game, it's been really enjoyable throughout!

Reshuffling the top one last time to boost Édith Piaf, I've actually thought it up a little and I find her absence amazing.

1. Andrés Calamaro

2. Édith Piaf

3. Alain Bashung

4. Léo Ferré

5. Mecano

6. Noir Désir

7. IAM

8. Underworld

9. Georges Brassens

10. Orbital

Backstage:

1. Pierre Barouh

2. Dee Nasty

3. Bob Ezrin

4. Bog Geldof
5. Robert John "Mutt" Lange
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

My own top ten, without explanations this time, and strategic voting for foreign acts:

1. Edith Piaf
2. Nat King Cole
3. Janet Jackson
4. Os Mutantes
5. Janelle Monae
6. The Shangri-Las
7. Shonen Knife
8. Georges Brassens
9. Deep Purple
10. Genesis

Backstage:

1. Ryan Schreiber
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1. Genesis - One of the more talented prog rock innovators with both Gabriel and Collins as front men. Favorites include: Behind the Lines, Home By the Sea, Throwing It All Away, Misunderstanding, In Too Deep, Taking It All Too Hard, Invisible Touch, Please Don't Ask, Turn It On Again, ABACAB and Follow You, Follow Me

2. Billy Joel - I can still remember his fantastic concert at Stony Brook in 1974. Hopefully those who voted for Billy Joel in earlier AM HOF voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

3. Yes - The composition and execution by Yes was amazing. Hopefully those who voted for Yes in earlier voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

4. Todd Rundgren/Utopia - one of the most prolific innovators for the past 40 years. My favorites by Todd include: Hello It's Me, I Saw the Light, Can We Still Be Friends, Compassion, Just One Victory, The Last Ride, Love Is the Answer, We Gotta Get You a Woman, Bang the Drum All Day, Be Nice To Me, Caravan, Chain Letter, A Dream Goes On Forever, Fidelity, Hideaway, Hope I'm Around, It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, Izaat Love?, Long Flowing Robe, No World Order, Parole, Property, Real Man, Sometimes I Don't Know What to Feel, Time Heals, Couldn't I Just Tell You, Dust In the Wind, Crybaby, Mated, Mimi Gets Mad, and The Ikon

5. Allman Brothers - One of the first big time Southern Rock bands. Fantastic dual guitars from Dickie Betts and Duane Allman. My favorites include: Whipping Post, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Blue Sky, Melissa, Ramblin' Man, Southbound, and Jessica

6. Joe Jackson - eclectic performer who readily adapted to include jazz elements in his new wave masterpieces. Favorites include: You Can't Get What You Want, Breaking Us In Two, Is She Really Going Out With Him?, It's Different for Girls, Steppin' Out, Be My Number Two, Don't Wanna Be Like That, One More Time and Pretty Girls

7. Style Council - Paul Weller's vocals are sublime. My favorites include: My Ever Changing Moods, You're the Best Thing, How She Threw It All Away, Heavens Above, The Cost of Loving, Boy Who Cried Wolf, The Lodgers, and Shout to the Top

8. Joe Satriani - fast and melodic. My favorite guitarist since Hendrix

9. Peter Gabriel

10. Grateful Dead

I changed my vote to push some possibilities forward since Todd has ZERO chance this year (or likely any year).
Last edited by Henry on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

1. Tindersticks
2. Alain Bashung
3. Peter Gabriel
4. Léo Ferré
5. Noir Désir
6. Deep Purple
7. The Fall
8. Tricky
9. Pere Ubu
10. Devo

I changed my vote to be more strategic (and finally closer to my wishes...).
Last edited by Michel on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

1. Grateful Dead- One of the most prominent figures in classic psychedelic rock. These guys inspired generations of dead-heads to come.

2. Green Day- Influential punk band. They gave us Dookie, American Idiot, and "Good Riddance"

3. Justin Timberlake- He is by far the most important mainstream pop artists of this generation. Call him the modern day Michael Jackson if you will.

4. Modest Mouse- I don't think there is an indie-rock band out there who wouldn't list these guys as a major influence.

5. Paul McCartney- Sure he's had some weak spots with his solo work, but he still remains one of, if not the greatest songwriters of all time.

6. Arctic Monkeys

7. Herbie Hancock

8. Manic Street Preachers

9. Jimmy Cliff

10. Crosby, Stils,l and Nash
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Thank you, JimmyJazz! I kept my original choices, slightly switching the more out there John Cage for Joanna Newsom, replacing Nico for Brigitte Fontaine and pushing Caetano higher, since other people are also voting for him. Viva tropicália!

1. Joanna Newsom - musicianship, word smithery, consistency, and a fully-formed, unique musical persona, that many would kill for.
2. Caetano Veloso
3. Os Mutantes - my favorite band from my home country. they took psychedelia to a whole new level marrying them with the sounds and the subjects of the land.
4. Gal Costa
5. Laurie Anderson - the woman behind the recent avant singer/songwriters, whose sense of humor and imagination never cease to amaze.
6. Tom Zé - a grower for life. zé encapsules curiosity for sounds; be it words or instruments.
7. Brigitte Fontaine
8. The Fall
9. Stereolab
10. Art Ensemble Of Chicago - the all-time masters of avant-garde jazz.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

1. Jimmy Cliff - Would really like to see him in the Hall of Acclaim. Almost as important to reggae as Bob Marley. Has done a long career of good music, but only the early stuff is recognized by critics, which is okay. Great live performer.
2. Paul McCartney
3. Yes
4. Gorillaz
5. Bon Iver
6. Green Day
7. Billy Joel
8. R. Kelly

Backstage:
1. Ryan Schreiber
I feel like that
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

1. The Tallest Man on Earth (The only artist for whom 'The next Dylan' is not far from the mark)
2. Betty Davis (Raunchy, funky, spectacularly entertaining)
3. Richard & Linda Thompson (Creators of two of the greatest folk albums of all time)
4. Jorge Ben (Os Mutantes may be the best band, but Jorge is the greatest thing Brazil has ever produced)
5. Gene Clark (Both solo and with The Byrds: phenomenal)
6. Little Feat
7. Townes van Zandt
8. John Fahey
9. Jackson C. Frank
10. Cara Dillon
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Let me try to put some people in…

1. Joanna Newsom
Ridiculously talented – how do you even MAKE a Joanna Newsom? Despite her Ys album being recorded by Steve Albini(?!?), her ultra-literate, harp-centric music sounds like it could have come out a hundred years ago. Lou Reed once said something about how intensity had nothing to do with playing very loud or fast; in the case of total commitment to one’s music, Lou might as well have been talking ahead of time about Ms. Newsom.

2. Genesis
It’s hard to talk about Genesis without sounding like Patrick Bateman (“Do you like Phil Collins?”), so I’ll keep this brief. The Phil Collins era is generally a lot of nice guy music, some of it good, certainly a different beast by the ‘80s; but I would vote for induction based on the Peter Gabriel era, where even with their first album, recorded during school holidays, the band had an odd splendor, of the speaking-in-tongues variety (I don’t think I ever figured out any of their songs, though it seemed to at least make sense to Mr. Gabriel and that was enough for me).

3. Grateful Dead
One of those “I can’t believe they’re not in” bands. They should get a medal just for outlasting every hippie band by an outstanding margin, and for just basically doing what they always did on top of that. Even if you excluded all the live albums—save 1969’s Live/Dead landmark—they made worthwhile (short) music for years upon years.

4. Oingo Boingo
Hmm, why do I think these guys ain’t gettin’ in anytime soon. Authenticity would be all the rage by the 1990s, though I’d argue that it in its own curveball ‘80s attack, Oingo Boingo seemed as good a response as any to the human condition, through some ridiculous, excessive, nutty music made by a nearly double-digit-member band.

5. Billy Idol
See Oingo Boingo, strike “nutty,” replace “nearly double-digit-member band” with “guitarist Steve Stevens.”

6. The Moody Blues
They did record a good deal of pothead music (in the ‘60s, no less! [/sarcasm]). Still, throwing out some of their excesses, they always had a strong melodic sense, landing one of their biggest successes as far along as 1986; and they had strength in numbers with everyone in the band contributing songs. Rolling Stone once said no one has purveyed as much nonsense, but then another time they called them the Sistine Chapel of popular music.

7. Justin Hayward
Push comes to shove, I’d probably vote for Songwriter over the Sex Pistols’ album as my top album of 1977. Obviously, Justin Hayward does not carry the thrill of being social napalm like Johnny Rotten, but he has managed to sustain a very long career as the musical equivalent of an old friend throughout the years, whereas I’m not sure what Mr. Lydon is even up to these days, not to belabor the point. Hayward has not released too many solo albums, (he did release one this year), but I typically liked each one more than the recent Moody Blues release, no matter how good it had been.

8. John Williams
35-plus years after the release of Star Wars, the ultimate summer blockbuster, the film can't help but show its age, no matter how much CGI and 3D that Lucas pumps into it; but John Williams' score still faithfully conveys everything that you felt as a kid when you saw the film for the first time. The smallest gestures, stuff no one probably remembers filming -- the droids' short pod flight to Tatooine, Obi-Wan and Luke standing before Mos Eisley, Luke climbing to the gunner's seat for an outer space dog fight -- become epic myth in Williams' hands. And that’s one just movie Williams got his hands on – can you think of anymore? How many hundreds of millions of dollars has this guy helped bring in?

9. Suzanne Vega
In my 20s, I was very much into austere, wintry music, and it’d be hard to find a better example than Mrs. Vega’s first two albums. The fact that she was raised in New York, however, may explain the occasional toughness in her lyrics, and the lack of singer-songwriter sentimentality. More than anything, though, I remember her gorgeous yet dispassionate voice – more like she was instilling subconscious truths than trying to make you “feel her pain” or anything. She won an MTV Video Music Award without a single twerk. Her ‘90s albums then wandered a bit into other territory, still of virtue as long as you didn’t expect that wintry angel to hang around forever.

10. Jefferson Airplane
Exhibit C (after the Moody Blues and Neil Young) of falling for what’s in your parent’s music collection as a kid. If you count all the Starship business, they lasted about as long as the Grateful Dead did (long enough to appear as Jefferson Starship on the dreaded Star Wars Holiday Special); my interest dropped off sharply post-Blows Against the Empire, but still a classic hippie band. I direct the uninitiated to Surrealistic Pillow.

Backstage:
Ryan Schreiber
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Hey one of my top 5 might actually make it in this time. Probably not the Cocteaus but Shonen Knife is a fine consolation prize

BACKSTAGE WING: (Come on Brits and Angelinos. You know who this is. New York or nobody, no radio personality alive today in has the influence the magnitude of this icon. He's an LA icon and So.Californians need to get him in here.)
1. Rodney Bingenheimer: was the first to play just about everyone from Ramones to Coldplay, Smiths, Cure, Blur, Oasis, Blondie, X, YYYs, Strokes, Travis, Bowie, Nirvana, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Runaways, the Donnas, Suede, Pulp, the Clash, Ash, Elastica, Ride, Siouxsie..., The Pandoras, James, Hole, Garbage, Red Kross, Bratmobile, the Sweet, T.Rex, Roxy Music, Belle and Sebastain, Alice Cooper, Wire, the Buzzcocks, Thin Lizzy, Gary Glitter, Silverhead, Kate Bush, Sex Pistols, Bauhaus,Garbage,the Stone Roses, Supergrass, the Damned, Dickies, Dead Kennedy's, the Germs, X Ray Spex, Bow Wow Wow, Bad Religion, NOFX, Elvis Costello, Sonic Youth, The Blasters, No Doubt, Doves, Elbow, Green Day, Manic Street Preachers, the Cramps, the Specials, Trashcan Sinatras, Placebo, The Divine Comedy, The Sundays, the Happy Mondays, Adam Ant, Devo,Madness, the English Beat, Black Flag, Bikini Kill, Gore Gore Girls, Clinic, Dandy Warhol's, Sleater-Kinney, Catherine Wheel, Nina Hagen, Suzy Quatro, the Go Gos, The Bangles, Bananarama, Oingo Boingo, Dramarama, The Negro Problem, the Horrors, The Sounds, Phantom Planet, The Killers, Interpol, Hot Hot Heat, Muse, The Circle Jerks, the Chills,
the Postmarks, Slade....I can go on for days not to mention being a stand in for Davy Jones and the proud owner of LA's legendary English Disco. Definitely my #1 in every sense of the word.

2. Kim Fowley: both he and Rodney considered Mayor of the Sunset Strip at one point. Runaways creator who would have NEVER gotten away with sexifying teenage girls (all be it with tremendous talent) the way he did back than NOW. Kind a like the John Waters of 70s glam/hard rock with his wild perversion and raunchy imagery. Recently FINALLY buried the hatchet with Lita and yes Cherie Currie.

3.Dr. Demento (come on bring some comedy to the HOF so many songwriters take themselves so seriously and believe the own SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........AVING CREAM;) that references was probably moderately amusing the first time around.

1. Cocteau Twins: Sigur Ros made it in? Yet another band that was clearly inspired by the Cocteaus yet they're not in themselves? What baffles the mind as muppet who sounds exactly like a musician I'm about to mention would say, is how people will say Liz's voice repulses them yet who do we place in the top 21 of this years Artists Poll? Whatever! Even if you think they never released a masterpiece on the level of Loveless you put Cocteaus 10 or 11 BEST singles against Loveless and The Twins could definitely hold their own. Anyway,quite simply the band that started Dreampop which evolved into shoegaze, c86, twee even highly influential on acclaimed dark metal acts as Deftones and Deafheaven. Now that is coming a long, long way. The list of bands they've influenced is in the millions. Everyone MBV, Spacemen 3 and JAMC have influenced can also be mentioned in the same breath as the Cocteaus.

2. Shonen Knife- Can't really think of any twee bands who predated them so they must be considered one of the first and cutest no doubt. Plus the were massive in Japan at one time which is beyond rare;)

3. Teenage Fanclub: while they've never really released anything I'd consider a flat out masterpiece the songs of there's i do enjoy are some of my all time faves and too this day they still manage to put out incredible tracks worthy of making a sensational addition to a tremendous catalog.

4. Manic Street Preachers - The Welsh need representation too and these riveting rockers reward with their relentless rhythmically ferocious glory. They keep putting out universally stellar stunners with sonically shimmering sentiment.

5. Ani Difranco- her name doesn't come up around here but she performs some of the most epic gigs and the smallest venues and she's much more edgy than hipster hippy types like MRS. Andy Sanberg and Laura Maurling(sorry I can't get over how dull she is as well as the former. What happened British girls??!!)
6. The Gore Gore Girls
7. The Frames
8. Saint Etienne
9. Whitney Houston
10. Sleater-Kinney
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Where is everyone? Guys, this is the LAST POLL for th year!!!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm pretty sure none of them have been inducted:

1- Game Theory
They released two of the best albums of the 80s. It's a shame nobody knows abou them.
2- Van Halen
I'll admit they have some bad music, but their debut was stellar and they had a steady flow of good singles after that.
3- Green Day
Again, I realize they've given us some really bad music, but "Dookie" and "Good Riddance" are enough to get my vote.
4- The Cars
These guys had one of the best debut albums of all time!
5- Def Leppard
So they had some really bad hair metal songs (I'm noticing a theme here), they also had some amazing songs.
6- Billy Joel
The Piano Man, Long Island native. What's not to love?
7- Foo Fighters
They don't get as much respect as they should because of Dave Grohl living in the shadow of Kurt Cobain, but thy're an great band.
8- Tom Petty
9- Soundgarden
10- Boston
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

1. Yes

In many ways, they represent both the intricacies and excesses of prog rock, but I think even their most pretentious pieces are worth listening to. At their best, they were able to craft together meticulously structured rock suites that shift from melody to melody without ever feeling disorienting.

2. Jefferson Airplane

Surprised that they're not in. They burned out quickly, but for a brief moment there in the late 60s they were one of the best psychedelic acts around, and their ability to mesh this psychedelia with their pop sensibilities makes them worthy of admission.

3. Faust

The most enigmatic of the Krautrockers, which is saying a lot, considering the genre. They could do minimalistic drone music, such as their collaboration with Tony Conrad, but could also thread together quickly-changing music that was anything but minimal, such as The Faust Tapes.

4. Os Mutantes

They're my gateway into the larger tropicalia movement, but are also very excellent songwriters even when not taken in context of the larger scene.

5. The Cars

Still the best of the "New Wave" acts, and successful at making really weird music that nonetheless manages to be commercially appealing.

6. Yo La Tengo

No one album is really a masterpiece, but they've been remarkably consistent for decades, and have had an indirect but undeniable influence on a lot of indie music in the 90s and 00s.

7. Dire Straits

I think they're an underrated band, with some good songwriting and (naturally) excellent guitar work from Knopfler.

8. The Allman Brothers Band
9. Weezer
10. Gorillaz

Backstage nominees:
Ryan Schreiber - founder of Pitchfork, which (like it or not) has defined Internet music criticism.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

1. Built to Spill
Forget Pavement, Built to Spill released the greatest indie trilogy of the 90s, with gut wrenching evocative guitar, wonderful lyrics and a constant evolution.
2. Modest Mouse
Modest Mouse is actually one of the very few bands to have in my book a trilogy that can compare with Built to Spill 90s output (from The Lonesome Crowded West to Good News For People Who Love Bad News). Both bands basically share the same qualities, Modest Mouse behind the rawer side of the coin.
3. Hot Chip
LCD Soundsystem is the biggest electro rock revolution, but by melting geekiness and melancholy so skillfully on the dancefloor, Hot Chip deserves the silver medal.
4. Puppetmastaz
In 2009 they released their worst album, that makes me bring them down a bit... because at the end of 2009 I was quite angry about that !
5. IAM
IAM (and related side projects) is pretty much the French Wu-Tang, mixing oriental samples, kung-fu references and most importantly some of the best written and delivered lyrics in the history of French hip-hop
6. Gorillaz
7. At the Drive-In
8. Fugazi
9. Low
10. Foo Fighters (who without a doubt will be the first of those bands to get in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame)
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

1. Cocteau Tweans
2. Jefferson Airplane
3. Tindersticks
4. Tricky
5. This Heat
blackandbianco
Start Me Up

Post by blackandbianco »

1. Herbie Hancock
2. Eric B. and Rakim
3. The Ronettes
4. Nat King Cole
5. Gil Scott-Heron
6. Gang of Four
7. Tricky
8. Modest Mouse
9. The Roots
10. Edith Piaf
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

1. Genesis
2. Cocteau Twins!!!
3. Edith Piaf - I really tried to get her in during schleuse's game in 2008, so I'm really happy to see all her sudden votes now!
4. Nat King Cole
5. Ennio Morricone
6. Low
7. Dead Can Dance
8. Orchestra Baobab
9. Astor Piazzolla
10. Iron Maiden

I hope there will be a 2014 vote in January as well!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Sorry to jump in on this the final week (especially since I initially promised to participate), but, as I said, I've been ridiculously busy. Since I don't have a lot of time, I just figured I'd go through the artists who have been nominated by others already and give my favorites a boost. My top 8 made my top 100 artists, and 9-10 just barely missed.

1. The Moody Blues (Creators of my all-time favorite song, which is as polarizing as the band themselves. Either you love their orchestral melodrama--as I obviously do--or you don't.)
2. The Cars
3. Jefferson Airplane
4. Peter Gabriel
5. Billy Joel
6. Genesis
7. Gil Scott-Heron
8. Gorillaz
9. Janet Jackson
10. Tindersticks
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I'm actually going to extend this voting to Sunday night. This is the last one (until the new year!), and I want to get votes from Moonbeam, sonofsamiam, Romain, and Honorio among others. Hopefully some who haven't participated may do so as well, like Nick, Nicolas, Dan, Gillingham, and Jirin.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Just bumping this to make sure everyone got the message!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bumping once again!
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Oops! I’ve been absorbed in other things and have only stumbled across this thread now. If it’s not too late…

1. Astor Piazzolla
2. Orchestra Baobab
3. Joanna Newsom
4. Édith Piaf
5. Jorge Ben
6. Georges Brassens
7. Nat King Cole
8. Peter Gabriel
9. Gal Costa
10. Townes van Zandt
...will keep us together.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Poll is now closed. The results will be revealed soon, and the next AM Hall poll won't be held until after the New Year.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Again, thanks for hosting this, James!
It seems that this year no Latin artist will enter the hall... But we will be back! Muahahaha!
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Wow Piaf killed in this one even against fellow inductees (unless my math is wrong) Genesis
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

As luvulongTIM pointed out, The top winner of the AM Hall of Acclaim for 2013 is Edith Piaf. The other three inductees are Genesis, Cocteau Twins (!!!), and Joanna Newsom. Oh, and the backstage entry is Ryan Schreiber.

Thank you all for participating these past few weeks! It has been a great pleasure hosting my first ever AM poll. The second week of January will be when we truly wrap up this poll, however, as we do the 2014 AM Hall of Acclaim voting thread.
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I will probably wait until we hold the final poll for 2014 before I create the remaining Hall of Acclaim induction pages.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”