AMF Hall of Acclaim 2014: Voting Thread (REAL LAST THREAD!)

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

AMF Hall of Acclaim 2014: Voting Thread (REAL LAST THREAD!)

Post by JimmyJazz »

This is the only round of voting for the AM Hall this year.
Please read this, as it has some important info in it this time:

So how this game works is pretty simple: nominate at least five and no more than ten acts that you feel are deserving of being in the AMF Hall. For the past few weeks, I have made it so that a list won't be eligible unless the first five acts have justifications for them. Recently, however, thanks to HRS's recent ballot in the 2012 voting thread, I have decided to change the rules a little. For this last voting round, you DO NOT have to give justifications for your first five picks, although it is still strongly encouraged. Hopefully, this will help get even more votes for the final four inductees (until next year, that is!). Additionally, you can nominate up to three “backstage wing” individuals who you feel deserve to be in the Hall. “Backstage wing” types include songwriters, producers, record company founders/owners, music video directors, and critics/scholars. This is entirely optional, however, and your list will not be deemed ineligible if you don’t nominate anyone in this category. Another thing regarding acts: Please consider their work BEFORE the year 2014 when making your choices.

The point system I will be using is as basic as possible: #1 = 10 pts., #2 = 9 pts., and so on. For the backstage lists, if you only include one person, that person will get 3 points, a 2-person list has the second person get 2 points, and so on. I will keep this poll up until the 10th Saturday night 8:00 pm UTC timezone. The top four vote getters will be the inductees of that year. In the case of a tie, a vote will be used to determine the winner.

With that all said and taken care of, Let the final countdown begin!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: AMF Hall of Acclaim 2014: Voting Thread (REAL LAST THREA

Post by JimmyJazz »

Here are the current inductees, updated to reflect the recent additions (be prepared for a long post!):

ABBA
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Animal Collective
Aphex Twin
Arcade Fire
Louis Armstrong
The Band
The Beach Boys
Beastie Boys
The Beatles
Beck
Belle and Sebastian
Chuck Berry
Big Star
Björk
Black Sabbath
Blondie
Blur
David Bowie
Jacques Brel
James Brown
Jeff Buckley
Kate Bush
Buzzcocks
The Byrds
Can
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
Johnny Cash
Nick Cave
Ray Charles
The Chemical Brothers
Chic
The Clash
Patsy Cline
Cocteau Twins
Leonard Cohen
Coldplay
Ornette Coleman
John Coltrane
Sam Cooke
Elvis Costello
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Cure
Daft Punk
Miles Davis
De La Soul
Depeche Mode
Bo Diddley
DJ Shadow
Dr. Dre
Fats Domino
The Doors
Nick Drake
Bob Dylan
The Eagles
Duke Ellington
Eminem
Brian Eno
Eurythmics
The Everly Brothers
Ella Fitzgerald
The Flaming Lips
Fleetwood Mac
Aretha Franklin
Franz Ferdinand
Peter Gabriel
Serge Gainsbourg
Marvin Gaye
Genesis
Al Green
Guns N’ Roses
Woody Guthrie
Merle Haggard
PJ Harvey
Jimi Hendrix
Billie Holiday
Buddy Holly
Howlin’ Wolf
Hüsker Dü
Michael Jackson
The Jam
Jay-Z
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Elton John
Robert Johnson
George Jones
Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company
Joy Division
B. B. King
Carole King
King Crimson
The Kinks
The Knife
Kraftwerk
Fela Kuti
LCD Soundsystem
Leadbelly
Led Zeppelin
John Lennon
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Love
Lynyrd Skynyrd
M.I.A.
Madonna
Bob Marley and the Wailers
Massive Attack
Curtis Mayfield
Metallica
Charles Mingus
Joni Mitchell
Thelonious Monk
Bill Monroe
Van Morrison
My Bloody Valentine
Nas
The National
Willie Nelson
Neutral Milk Hotel
New Order
Randy Newman
Joanna Newsom
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
The Notorious B.I.G.
N.W.A.
Oasis
Roy Orbison
OutKast
Parliament/Funkadelic
Charlie Parker
Gram Parsons
Pavement
Pearl Jam
Pet Shop Boys
Edith Piaf
Pink Floyd
Pixies
The Pogues
The Police
Iggy Pop
Portishead
Elvis Presley
Pretenders
Primal Scream
Prince
Public Enemy
Pulp
Queen
Queens of the Stone Age
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Ramones
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Otis Redding
Lou Reed
Django Reinhardt
R.E.M.
The Replacements
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
The Rolling Stones
Roxy Music
Run-D.M.C.
Santana
Sex Pistols
Sigur Ros
Paul Simon
Simon and Garfunkel
Nina Simone
Frank Sinatra
Siousxie and the Banshees
Sleater-Kinney
Sly and the Family Stone
The Smashing Pumpkins
Elliott Smith
Patti Smith
The Smiths
Soda Stereo
Sonic Youth
The Specials
Dusty Springfield
Bruce Springsteen
Steely Dan
Sufjan Stevens
The Stone Roses
The Stooges
The Strokes
Suede
The Supremes
T. Rex
Talk Talk
Talking Heads
Television
The Temptations
A Tribe Called Quest
TV on the Radio
U2
The Velvet Underground
Tom Waits
Scott Walker
Muddy Waters
Kanye West
The White Stripes
The Who
Wilco
Hank Williams
Wire
Stevie Wonder
Wu-Tang Clan
X
XTC
Neil Young
Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention
Warren Zevon

Here is the Backstage Wing:

Steve Albini
Burt Bacharach and Hal David
Lester Bangs
Irving Berlin
Chris Blackwell
Booker T. & the MG’s
Leonard Chess
Robert Christgau
Miles and Ian Copeland
Ry Cooder
Willie Dixon
DJ Kool Herc
Brian Eno
Brian Epstein
Michael and Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Ahmet Ertegun
David Fincher
Henrik Franzon
Alan Freed
Dave Fridmann
Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff
George Gershwin
Nick Gold
Michel Gondry
Berry Gordy
Norman Granz
John Hammond
Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland
Nicky Hopkins
Jimmy Iovine
Quincy Jones
Spike Jonze
Hilly Kristal
Larry Levan
Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller
Alan Lomax
George Martin
Malcolm McLaren
Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section
Les Paul
Bruce Pavitt
John Peel
D.A. Pennebaker
Lee “Scratch” Perry
Sam Phillips
Cole Porter
Rick Rubin
Ryan Schreiber
Martin Scorsese
Harry Smith
Phil Spector
Timbaland
Rudy Van Gelder
Ivo Watts-Russell
Jann Wenner
Jerry Wexler
Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Wow. That is one hell of an eclectic list of great musicians/contributors!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1. Yes - The composition and execution by Yes was amazing. Hopefully those who voted for Yes in earlier voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

2. Todd Rundgren/Utopia - one of the most prolific innovators for the past 40 years. My favorites by Todd include: Hello It's Me, I Saw the Light, Can We Still Be Friends, Compassion, Just One Victory, The Last Ride, Love Is the Answer, We Gotta Get You a Woman, Bang the Drum All Day, Be Nice To Me, Caravan, Chain Letter, A Dream Goes On Forever, Fidelity, Hideaway, Hope I'm Around, It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, Izaat Love?, Long Flowing Robe, No World Order, Parole, Property, Real Man, Sometimes I Don't Know What to Feel, Time Heals, Couldn't I Just Tell You, Dust In the Wind, Crybaby, Mated, Mimi Gets Mad, and The Ikon

3. Billy Joel - I can still remember his fantastic concert at Stony Brook in 1974. Hopefully those who voted for Billy Joel in earlier AM HOF voting threads will continue to so in this year's thread.

4. Allman Brothers - One of the first big time Southern Rock bands. Fantastic dual guitars from Dickie Betts and Duane Allman. My favorites include: Whipping Post, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Blue Sky, Melissa, Ramblin' Man, Southbound, and Jessica

5. Joe Jackson - eclectic performer who readily adapted to include jazz elements in his new wave masterpieces. Favorites include: You Can't Get What You Want, Breaking Us In Two, Is She Really Going Out With Him?, It's Different for Girls, Steppin' Out, Be My Number Two, Don't Wanna Be Like That, One More Time and Pretty Girls

6. Style Council - Paul Weller's vocals are sublime. My favorites include: My Ever Changing Moods, You're the Best Thing, How She Threw It All Away, Heavens Above, The Cost of Loving, Boy Who Cried Wolf, The Lodgers, and Shout to the Top

7. Joe Satriani - fast and melodic. My favorite guitarist since Hendrix

8. Grateful Dead

9. Moody Blues

10. Chicago

Bubbling Under
11. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
12. The Beat
13. Jackson Browne
14. Doobie Brothers
15. Steve Winwood
16. James Taylor
17. Tom Petty
18. Bob Seger
19. Donald Fagen
Last edited by Henry on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

So, let's see... For my last new entry, I hesitated between three acts, namely MC Solaar, Los Prisioneros and Étienne Daho. But 2013 came and Daho just released what may very well be the best album in his already hit-packed career, so he skyrockets in.

1. Alain Bashung

2. Andrés Calamaro

3. Étienne Daho

4. Léo Ferré

5. Mecano

6. Noir Désir

7. IAM

8. Underworld

9. Georges Brassens

10. Orbital

Backstage:

1. Pierre Barouh

2. Dee Nasty

3. Bob Ezrin

4. Bog Geldof
5. Robert John "Mutt" Lange
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

jamieW wrote:Wow. That is one hell of an eclectic list of great musicians/contributors!
I know! A massive one at that!

You know, I quite like it though, it really does represent all genres, styles, and eras of pop. The only thing I feel it lacks currently is more diverse international representation, which some of our regular users are helping to correct, like with Pierre and Blanco getting Soda Stereo in. Honorio and Nicolas could probably provide some really good contributions in this regard, as well ;)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:
jamieW wrote:The only thing I feel it lacks currently is more diverse international representation, which some of our regular users are helping to correct, like with Pierre and Blanco getting Soda Stereo in. Honorio and Nicolas could probably provide some really good contributions in this regard, as well ;)
We're trying, at least :D Romain and Michel also voted before, I hope they do it again. I have not completely lost hope of getting Alain Bashung in the Hall :mrgreen:
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

JimmyJazz wrote:
jamieW wrote:Wow. That is one hell of an eclectic list of great musicians/contributors!
I know! A massive one at that!

You know, I quite like it though, it really does represent all genres, styles, and eras of pop. The only thing I feel it lacks currently is more diverse international representation, which some of our regular users are helping to correct, like with Pierre and Blanco getting Soda Stereo in. Honorio and Nicolas could probably provide some really good contributions in this regard, as well ;)
All true: but with Piaf, Brel, Gainsbourg, Fela, Reinhardt and Soda Stereo already inducted, it's still far more diverse than most. The international artist I'd like to see inducted the most this time would be Georges Brassens. (Maybe I can help with that!)
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Pierre wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:
jamieW wrote:The only thing I feel it lacks currently is more diverse international representation, which some of our regular users are helping to correct, like with Pierre and Blanco getting Soda Stereo in. Honorio and Nicolas could probably provide some really good contributions in this regard, as well ;)
We're trying, at least :D Romain and Michel also voted before, I hope they do it again. I have not completely lost hope of getting Alain Bashung in the Hall :mrgreen:
Yep, I will make sure that Bashung and Brassens get spots on my list. Long live European Communists! ;)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Yep, I will make sure that Bashung and Brassens get spots on my list. Long live European Communists! ;)
Ah ah ah, that would be awesome of you :D But honestly, on the basis of the last votes, if I had to bet on the next included international acts, it would rather be Caetano Veloso, Os Mutantes or Shonen Knife. They seem to have quite a lot of support!
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

You know, I still feel guilty that I referred to my nominees last time as the "Foreign" wing of the Hall of Acclaim. How terribly imperialist of me! If I vote too for Bashung, may I have my honourary European Communist card back?
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

1. Os Mutantes
2. Caetano Veloso
3. Neu!
4. Todd Rundgren
5. Gal Costa
6. Nico
7. Stereolab
8. Brigitte Fontaine
9. Milton Nascimento
10. Fugazi

Backstage wing:

1. Henrik

I have no ideia if this is even possible, but seeing that Ryan from Pitchfork was inducted, why not Henrik? For creating a website that had everything to fade in the background of web 2.0, but instead, just enhances its name throughout the years as a strong and reliable online reference. For developing this huge work of collecting lists, creating spreadsheets and updating the website. It takes time, dedication and passion -- especially when you have a family to take care of. For also creating this great place for discussion, for the exchange of ideas and artists, even stories. So, thank you Henrik and the supporting people who made this possible.

I discovered AM through wikipedia and googling almost simultaneously. I was at the start of my transition from a more mainstream taste to a more indie driven approach, especially female artists. This marked the beginning of where I am today. If my parents failed me raising in gospel music that was empty spiritually, this gave me the antidote when I was only fourteen years old. Those are the rankings that fed my curiosity, that enlarged the reaches of my ears, that gave me new worlds to fall into. This is the place that introduced me to the classics that I've grown to love and the ones that I dismissed but otherwise learnt to admire for the impacts they had on other people's lives. It's been five years. When I discovered the forum and started to post there were plenty of things that happened that now are embarrassing memories. Be it someone during the 60s poll arguing that placing VU at the top is not as legitime because we were voting with our 00s lens, while I argued that if we didn't we would be placing Katy Perry records at the top of the 00s poll in a few years; or when my english was not good, my naiveté at its height, and I misunderstood positions and wasn't able to express myself. There's one of those moments I will always carry with me because it catalyzed a lot of what came after. One day I received a question about brazilian music -- I believe from Stephan or Jirin -- only to realise I didn't know the music from my country. He was asking for more artists and I just didn't have any, despising the mainstream music of my country. I lived inside my generational mass, and this mass I lived with in my hometown, here in Brazil, is far away from the past that permeated the music of Tropicalia or Bossa. I answered "Novos Baianos" at the time because it was the sole old band that I was introduced to. That same day I started researching about brazilian music. Yes, this place not only gave me the classics, it also allowed me to reconnect with something I didn't know I had lost. Moreover, the mix of opinions, backgrounds, countries, all of this ensured the creation of such a cosmopolitan, but never elitist community, interesting to watch and participate. It is a sheer pleasure to see legends from my country being hailed in the same breadth of legends from anglophone countries. The freedom of tastes was also a joy. To see Moonbeam post great posts about Janet Jackson was freeing in the sense that other forums are too quick to point out what's supposed to be great music and what is 'trash'. I'd take my freedom over good and bad music delimitations any day.

Months ensued and my way of arguing and writing started to mirror more and more the ways I watched going on around here. Suddenly plenty of people that I never met outside this platform soon looked like great friends. Some even turned into and I appreciate their friendship to this date. Participating of Moderately Acclaimed and watching the polls and other games helped me to discover new music, find new ways to entertain myself online without feeling like wasting my time. AM even surpassed the boundaries of my own life. The music I discovered around here soon started to impact the lives of my friends, of colleagues. These days they are all are attached to artists that I'd never have the pleasure to stumble upon hadn't someone posted something about them here. Musicians took me to poets, and those took me to writers and the film polls took me to They Shoot Pictures Don't They. This place has redefined the way I communicate, the way I perceive art -- even as much as some artists themselves have. I'm only speaking about the subjective impacts. I know that there are people who treat it as another forum; only looking for lists and the product of the hard work of Henrik. There's nothing wrong with that. I must say, though, that there's something special going on when the faces repeat themselves among the posts -- and the people that created them are somehow bound to this place.

2. Shadow Morton

For his contributions to my favorite girl group of all time, The Shangri-las.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thank you HRS for your vote, and for your kind words and touching story! But it seems like you didn't check the list above carefully enough... :greetings-waveyellow:
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Henrik wrote:Thank you HRS for your vote, and for your kind words and touching story! But it seems like you didn't check the list above carefully enough... :greetings-waveyellow:
Damn! That's true. I won't erase it, though! :mrgreen:

Now that's another embarrassing memory to keep! :P
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I just realized, Henry has voted for Peter Gabriel at number 8, but according to the list provided by JimmyJazz, he already is in the Hall.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Alain Bashung : obvious. The only one who can rivalise with Gainsbourg.

2. Georges Brassens : the master of the French words.

3. Michel Polnareff : he deserve to be here, without a doubt.

4. The Divine Comedy : incredible songs, I don't understand why he his so hatred here.

5. Hubert-Félix Thiefaine : this guy is good. Like Bashung but with a little lack of chef-d'oeuvres.

Backstage :

Bruce.... not The Boss. We are proud of you.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

1. Grateful Dead- One of the most prominent figures in classic psychedelic rock. These guys inspired generations of dead-heads to come.

2 . Modest Mouse- I don't think there is an indie-rock band out there who wouldn't list these guys as a major influence.

3. Allman Brothers- This is one of the best acts that southern rock has to offer.

4. Paul McCartney- Sure he's had some weak spots with his solo work, but he still remains one of, if not the greatest songwriters of all time.

5. Billy Joel- "Piano Man", "The Stranger" I'm really surprised he hasn't made it in yet.

6. Iron Maiden

7. Herbie Hancock

8. Manic Street Preachers

9. Jimmy Cliff

10. Crosby, Stills, and Nash

Backstage Wing:
1. Clarence Clemmons- Saxophone player and one of the most prominent members of Springsteen's E-Street Band
2. Piero Scaruffi- Big name Italian music historian and critic.
3. Daniel Ek- founder of Spotify. Changed the music listening experience and made streaming albums easier and more accessible.

Edit: Piero not Peter Scaruffi
Last edited by Mattceinicram on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Romain wrote: Backstage :

Bruce.... not The Boss. We are proud of you.
:mrgreen:
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Mattceinicram wrote: 2. Peter Scaruffi- Big name Italian music historian and critic.
Don't you mean Piero? I'm gonna vote him too when I have time to make my list.
I feel like that
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

PlasticRam wrote:
Mattceinicram wrote: 2. Peter Scaruffi- Big name Italian music historian and critic.
Don't you mean Piero? I'm gonna vote him too when I have time to make my list.
yah thanks for pointing out my mistake! I'll fix it!
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

1. Andrés Calamaro
Calamaro has a great ability: Even his song with the simplest melody has a complex meaning. His music have perfect structures, and each of their notes is honest. You can remove the voice to any of his songs, and the feeling that causes would probably not change. Or you could take away the music and you would stay with a very, very good poem. Calamaro has been in bands such as Los Rodríguez, or Los Abuelos de la Nada, besides having an excellent solo career.
Recommendations: Los Rodríguez - Sin documentos, Los Abuelos de la Nada - Mil Horas, Andrés Calamaro - Flaca

2. Shonen Knife
Simple and fun songs. I've always been in love with Ritsuko Taneda. Man, she is perfect. Have any of you ever wondered what would happen if the Ramones would have been tender Japanese girls? Yes, they would have been Shonen Knife.
Top of The World, Twist Barbie, Tortoise Brand Pot Scrubbing Cleaner's Theme (Green Tortoise)

3. Café Tacvba
"Tonight we are saluting a band that has been together for over twenty years. In those two decades, they have been able to absorb, process and produce a whole new world of sounds. Their eclectic and ever-changing music has made these extraordinary musicians internationally known. Café Tacvba creates a unique sound by embracing and incorporating music from all over the globe, weaving it together with the traditions of their own colorful roots deep in the heart of Mexico. With each new record, they mix genres, hopping from rock to folk, to techno, to punk, to ska- sometimes all in one song. This band has always been in a state of perpetual state of creative growth. Throughout their career, they have maintained a firm commitment to their mission – to make interesting music that creates a common space where language does not matter…. Café Tacvba, in one way or another, has spoken to us all.” – Morrissey
La Ingrata, Eres (One of the most beautiful love songs of all time), Las Flores

4. Caifanes
Another great Mexican band, and the second best, just after Café Tacvba.
La Célula que explota, Viento, Afuera

5. Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
They are one of the most influential groups in rock in Spanish. They use reggae rhythms, jazz, and African music, seamlessly mixing them in a very special and distinguishable way. They are an unconventional band, but they are and will be one of the most listened bands in Latin America.
Matador, El Genio del Dub, Vasos Vacíos (feat. Celia Cruz)

6. Molotov
Gimme Tha Power

7. Maldita Vecindad y Los Hijos del Quinto Patio
Pachuco

8. Enanitos Verdes
La Muralla Verde

9. Héroes del Silencio

Entre dos Tierras

10. Sui Generis
Rasguña las piedras

Backstage:

Gustavo Santaolalla
He is a composer, musician and music producer twice winner of the Academy Award.
In the 70s he led the band Arco Iris, a pioneer of the "Argentine national rock '. Today, thanks to its valuable contribution, is one of the musicians and most awarded and recognized the continent. Under his production have grown large Latin American bands. So you can say that thanks to him there are Divididos, Maldita Vecindad, Café Tacuba, Juanes, Molotov, Julieta Venegas, Jorge Drexler, Bersuit Vergarabat, La Vela Puerca, and many, many more. Santaolalla has produced over a hundred albums, and at this point those albums form a kind of map of Latin alternative music.

Julián Carrillo
He was a composer, conductor, violinist and Mexican scientist, considered by many experts as one of the most important composers of the country and an important microtonal music pioneer.
He conducted research on the microtonal music since the late nineteenth century and developed the theory of Sonido 13, the first attempt to formalize the systematic study of microtonal music. He was also director of the National Conservatory of Music and the National Symphony Orchestra of Mexico, and founded the Beethoven Symphony Orchestra and the Orchestra of Sonido 13, based in New York. He designed and built microtonal pianos and harps to play their compositions in an effort that gathered sound knowledge, strength of materials and music theory.
blackandbianco
Start Me Up

Post by blackandbianco »

Unfortunately can't contribute much to the potential international additions, oh well. Sweet group that's in so far though. And so:

1. Herbie Hancock
2. Eric B. and Rakim
3. The Ronettes
4. Nat King Cole
5. Gil Scott-Heron
6. Gang of Four
7. Burial
8. The Roots
9. Tricky
10. Modest Mouse
11.Weezer
12. Boredoms
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

1. Nat King Cole
2. Deep Purple
3. Alain Bashung
4. Georges Brassens
5. Janet Jackson
6. The Shangri-Las
7. Shonen Knife
8. Janelle Monae
9. Os Mutantes
10. Andres Calamaro

Backstage:

1. The Wrecking Crew (I can't believe these guys aren't in the backstage wing yet. They all worked on some legendary productions for Phil Spector and The Beach Boys, and are a crucial component to many of those records success!)
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

1. Alain Bashung
2. Tindersticks
3. Léo Ferré
4. Noir Désir
5. Deep Purple
6. The Fall
7. Tricky
8. Van Halen
9. The Cars
10. Pere Ubu
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:1. The Wrecking Crew (I can't believe these guys aren't in the backstage wing yet. They all worked on some legendary productions for Phil Spector and The Beach Boys, and are a crucial component to many of those records success!)
Looks like Bashung is well on its way this time... I can repay your vote by putting The Wrecking Crew as my n°1 backstage entry, if you want. After all, none of my backstage entries has any chance of getting in, and I know and appreciate The Wrecking Crew's work, "Pet Sounds" being one of my favourite albums.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

luvulongTIM! please vote! Not that I want you to support certain band of beautiful and talented Japanese girls in colorful clothes :P
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Okay, I've extended the deadline to Sunday evening, just to give some weekend users a chance to get their votes in. Remember, everybody, this is the last voting for this category in a long time, like, until next year! So if you were thinking about submitting some lists, now is the time to do it!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Guys...?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

1. Jimmy Cliff - Would really like to see him in the Hall of Acclaim. Almost as important to reggae as Bob Marley. Has done a long career of good music, but only the early stuff is recognized by critics, which is okay. Great live performer. He would be an international addition!
2. Paul McCartney - New is another good album to his resume.
3. Yes
4. Gorillaz
5. Bon Iver - Perfect discography so far IMO.
6. Billy Joel
7. Drake
8. Frank Ocean
9. R. Kelly
10. Green Day

Backstage:

1. Piero Scaruffi. Italian music critic. I think Beatles is the greatest artist of all time, but I really respect the fact that he makes half a dozen valid arguments why they're not so good. The opposite of him is that girl born in the year 1950, who just thinks omg Beatles they are so cute I don't care what their music sounds like. I mean if the Beatles had made crappy music, I think they would've still been reasonably popular. Also a lot of his recommended albums that he introduced to me are great. It makes sense why he would like them. His reviews are really good and informative.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
I feel like that
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

List coming today or tomorrow.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

1. Angelique Kidjo. One of the first African artists to get widespread global distribution, she has not only popularized Beninese music, but opened up Afrobeat and Carribean Zouk to much wider popular acclaim. Forced to abandon Benin as a refugee, she has reinvested in many African charitable, social and political ventures to support political and social equality, particularly for African women.

2. Caetano Veloso. As a founder of Tropicalismo, he helped popularize Brazilian rhythms and traditional music by fusing them to Rock and Roll. Latin voters here have nominated Os Mutantes, but I've always found Veloso's music more accessible. Certainly, for me, he is the most important Latin songwriter, the equivalent of a Serge Gainsborough or Bob Dylan. Veloso also was persecuted for his political stance, imprisoned and exiled by Brazil's former military dictatorship. He has been active in recent years in the fight against poverty, homelessness and AIDS, both in Brazil and around the world.

3. Crowded House. The first Australian rock band to have great success stateside and in Europe (perhaps moreso the latter). Neil Finn is another of the truly great songwriters of the 90's, and Tim Finn proved his rock credentials with Split Enz in the 70's, as well as his work with Crowded House.

4. Norah Jones. A great vocal performer and interpreter, I think she may have the best contemporary pop voice, the modern day equivalent of Patsy Cline. She has collaborated with a who's who of today's musicians from country, rock, hip-hop, world music and pop.

5. Youssou N'Dour. Another great African voice, popularized Mbalax (Senegalese) music, collaborated with everyone from Lou Reed to Bran Van 3000.

6. Jimmy Cliff. The second greatest popularizer of reggae. After Chris Blackwell.

7. Billy Joel

8. Weezer

9. Tindersticks

10. Alain Bashung. Just jumpin' on this years' bandwagon.

And backstage:

1.) T-Bone Burnett. A record producer since 1972, his credits include everyone from B.B. King to the Wallflowers, with two Grammys (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand and the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack) and one Oscar for Best Original Song (The Weary Kind from "Crazy Heart"). In 2012 alone, he produced albums by Diana Krall, The Chieftains, Lisa Marie Presley, and competed against himself with TWO Grammy nominations for the Hunger Games soundtrack. A musician himself, he was guitarist for Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue.

2.) Alan Parsons. Assistant recording engineer on "Let It Be" and "Abbey Road", he took over the big chair for "Dark Side of the Moon" (his first Grammy), then reinvented the Hollies over the course of five albums, THEN produced eleven albums as the Alan Parsons Project (the early ones were groundbreaking, the last was never released but by all reports was a minimalist atonal soundscape that probably would have gotten raves here at AM). I was reminded of his history when I noticed the recording engineer of a 2013 Steven Wilson project "The Raven That Refused To Sing" which proves old Prog Rockers never die.

3.) Yeah, the Wrecking Crew deserve it.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Blanco wrote: I've always been in love with Ritsuko Taneda. Man, she is perfect.
Does your girlfriend know about this?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

DocBrown wrote:You know, I still feel guilty that I referred to my nominees last time as the "Foreign" wing of the Hall of Acclaim. How terribly imperialist of me! If I vote too for Bashung, may I have my honourary European Communist card back?
DocBrown wrote:10. Alain Bashung. Just jumpin' on this years' bandwagon.
Thank you, comrade! "We are proud of you." :mrgreen:
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

1. Yes

In many ways, they represent both the intricacies and excesses of prog rock, but I think even their most pretentious pieces are worth listening to. At their best, they were able to craft together meticulously structured rock suites that shift from melody to melody without ever feeling disorienting.

2. Jefferson Airplane

Surprised that they're not in. They burned out quickly, but for a brief moment there in the late 60s they were one of the best psychedelic acts around, and their ability to mesh this psychedelia with their pop sensibilities makes them worthy of admission.

3. Os Mutantes

They're my gateway into the larger tropicalia movement, but are also very excellent songwriters even when not taken in context of the larger scene.

4. Faust

The most enigmatic of the Krautrockers, which is saying a lot, considering the genre. They could do minimalistic drone music, such as their collaboration with Tony Conrad, but could also thread together quickly-changing music that was anything but minimal, such as The Faust Tapes.

5. The Cars

Still the best of the "New Wave" acts, and successful at making really weird music that nonetheless manages to be commercially appealing.

6. Yo La Tengo

No one album is really a masterpiece, but they've been remarkably consistent for decades, and have had an indirect but undeniable influence on a lot of indie music in the 90s and 00s.

7. Dire Straits

I think they're an underrated band, with some good songwriting and (naturally) excellent guitar work from Knopfler.

8. The Allman Brothers Band
9. Weezer
10. Gorillaz
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I removed a couple of favorites from my last vote to make room for a pair of legends who seem to have a great chance of making it this time:

1. The Moody Blues (Although I will always continue to vote for these guys!)
2. The Cars
3. Jefferson Airplane
4. Georges Brassens
5. Nat King Cole
6. Billy Joel
7. Gil Scott-Heron
8. Gorillaz
9. Janet Jackson
10. Tindersticks
Last edited by jamieW on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

^ Genesis made it in

1. The Moody Blues
2. The Grateful Dead
3. Jefferson Airplane
4. John Williams
5. Justin Hayward
6. Suzanne Vega
7. Tori Amos
8. Billy Idol
9. Oingo Boingo
10. Crowded House
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Live in Phoenix wrote:^ Genesis made it in
Oops. How quickly I forget! (I'm getting old.) Thanks, Live in Phoenix! (And double-thanks for the Moody Blues vote.) I will edit my post, and add back an artist very closely connected to Genesis instead.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

jamieW wrote:
Oops. How quickly I forget! (I'm getting old.) Thanks, Live in Phoenix! (And double-thanks for the Moody Blues vote.) I will edit my post, and add back an artist very closely connected to Genesis instead.
...who is also already in! :D
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henrik wrote:
jamieW wrote:
...who is also already in! :D
Wow! If I could learn to read...

Okay, let's try this one more time!
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Am I in time?

1. Os Mutantes - The best Brazilian group of 'em all, absurdist rockers whose music somehow stands the test of time better than so many of their anglo counterparts.

2. The Ronettes - Maybe the best girl group of them all.

3. The Shangri-Las - I feel they are underrated because Phil Spector did not produce them, but the sheer number of great tracks is amazing...even the minor singles and album tracks are well worth checking out.

4. Sun Ra - Of all the avant garde musicians, Sun Ra was the most truly OUT, in sound and vision and character. Just the sheer amount of great records he realized over a 3-decade period should get him in immediately.

5. Gil Scott-Heron - The true progenitor of rap, but with great songs that also bridge into jazz. His entire '70s output is worth checking out, and it's curious that he isn't feted more.

6. Boredoms - Starting out as true guerrilla art, the amazing moment was when they morphed into a far east, turn of the millennium Can.

7. Caetano Veloso - A master
8. Prefab Sprout - Some of the best pop songwriting ever, really
9. This Heat
10. Jorge Ben

Backstage Wing:

1. Shadow Morton
2. Teo Macero
3. Conny Plank
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

1. Modest Mouse
Switching Modest Mouse and Built to Spill's position because 1) Modest Mouse got a slightly bigger chance to make it to the hall 2)if I trust my last.fm stats, they are by far the band I listened to the most in 2013
2. Built to Spill
Forget Pavement, Built to Spill released the greatest indie trilogy of the 90s, with gut wrenching evocative guitar, wonderful lyrics and a constant evolution.
3. Hot Chip
LCD Soundsystem is the biggest electro rock revolution, but by melting geekiness and melancholy so skillfully on the dancefloor, Hot Chip deserves the silver medal.
4. Puppetmastaz
In 2009 they released their worst album, that makes me bring them down a bit... because at the end of 2009 I was quite angry about that !
5. IAM
IAM (and related side projects) is pretty much the French Wu-Tang, mixing oriental samples, kung-fu references and most importantly some of the best written and delivered lyrics in the history of French hip-hop
6. Gorillaz
7. At the Drive-In
8. Fugazi
9. Low
10. Burial
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Backstage wing :

Stéphane Saunier : From 87 to 2001 aired in France TV the show Nulle Part Ailleurs, a talk show with pretty much one live music performance by day. The show was known by artists to be the best place to perform and they would advice each other to play there, meaning some major artists would make their only european tv appearance there (it was the case for AC/DC I think). No genre was excluded, sets ranked from heavy metal (first european TV on Slipknot got the chanel some calls from angry spectators) to chanson française, hip-hop to indie rock, world music to pop, best sellers to perfect unknown.
There's a tentative list of people who played there on RYM and while its 16 pages longs, I'm pretty sure it's incomplete.
Stephane Saunir was the guy in charge of those live performance, finding artists and arranging everything. He is still in charge of La Musicale and L'album de la Semaine, but the major success of Nulle Part Ailleurs and its cult status made it a wonderful gateway into music for anyone who grew up in the 90s in France.

They made in a summer (2001 I think) a serie of one hour retrospectives around several genres and I had recorded the American rock, the English rock and the Hard-rock metal ones... that's a vcr I have watched again and again !

A few of my fav :

Jeff Buckley - Grace (which I consider the great tv live performance I have ever seen)
Bjork - Bachelorette/Joga
Nirvana - Drain You
Pulp - Common People
And of course, Elliott Smith - Waltz #2 which I don't seem to find anymore.

2. The Dust Brothers :
Paul's Boutique, Odelay and MmmBop, 'nuff said !
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Somebody called on me so here it goes BUT the person I put at #1 on my BACKSTAGE LIST is who I'd rather get in.

BACKSTAGE
1. RODNEY BINGENHEIMER(continue reading on)

Artists/Bands
1. Shonen Knife (first played by.....RODNEY BINGENHEIMER
2. Manic Street Preachers (first played by RODNEY BINGENHEIMER)
3. The Divine Comedy (first played by...RODNEY BINGENHEIMER)
4. Saint Etienne(first played by RODNEY BINGENHEIMER)
5. The Gore Gore Girls (first played by RODNEY BINGENHEINER)
6. Supergrass (" " ")
7. Guided by Voices
8. Ani Difrancio
9. Lilys
10. Apples in Stereo
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

1. Janet Jackson - My favorite artist not yet inducted. She defined pop music for me for awhile.

2. Kylie Minogue - Her run of albums from 1997-2003 is absolutely stunning.

3. Annie - Even with just 2 eligible albums at this point, she would threaten my top 10 of all time.

4. Grace Jones - The baddest chick in music history with some awesome albums to boot.

5. Janelle Monae - With The Electric Lady in tow, she's already among my top 20 artists ever.

6. Sun Ra - I'll throw him a bone since sonofsamiam nominated him too. He's easily my favorite jazz artist, novice though I am with the genre.

7. Gorillaz

8. Donna Summer

9. Annie Lennox

10. Aaliyah
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Sorry for not having found the time to participate in theses last rounds of the Hall of Acclaim. Many thanks JimmyJazz for ruling it so wonderfully:

01. CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG: if every work they released as solo artists, as a band or as a duo from 1969 to 1972 could be filed as a C,S,N&Y work they would be a Top 10 band for sure. I mean: “Neil Young”, “Crosby, Stills & Nash”, “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere”, “Déjà vu”, “After the Gold Rush”, “Stephen Stills”, “Four-Way Street”, “Songs for Beginners”, “If I Could Only Remember My Name”, “Stephen Stills 2”, “Harvest”, “Crosby & Nash” and “Manassas”. Impressive, isn’t it?
My favourite album: Déjà vu (1970).
My Top 3 Songs: Our House (1970), Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (1969), Ohio (1970).

02. PREFAB SPROUT: sophisticated but not cold sounds, clever but not impenetrable songwriting, imaginative but not overwhelming arrangements, they should be in.
My favourite album: Steve McQueen (1985).
My favourite song: Goodbye Lucille #1 (Johnny Johnny) (1985).

03. TODD RUNDGREN: a genial singer-songwriter, a skilled multi-instrumentalist (he play almost all instruments in his albums) and a talented producer.
My favourite album: Something/Anything? (1972).
My favourite song: I Saw the Light (1972).

04. ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN: Door-influenced psychedelia and Joy Division-influenced post-punk are the two main foundations for the sound of Echo & The Bunnymen, dark but brilliant, thunderous but majestic.
My favourite album: Ocean Rain (1984).
My favourite song: The Killing Moon (1984).

05. CAETANO VELOSO: an innovator of Brazilian music, he fused the sounds of bossa-nova, psychedelic rock and African roots with an arty and avant-garde edge creating Tropicália.
My favourite album: Transa (1972).
My favourite song: Qualquer coisa (1975).

06. THE STYLE COUNCIL: they had an eclectic approach to exciting genres as sixties pop, Motown soul, smooth jazz, bossa nova, French pop and synth pop with a decided social content.
My favourite album: Café Bleu (1984).
My favourite song: My Ever Changing Moods (1984).

07. DEEP PURPLE: the pioneers of the hard rock, almost as ambitious as Led Zeppelin and almost as loud as Black Sabbath, and the most competent players of their instruments. Virtuoso-rock.
My favourite album: Made in Japan (1972).
My favourite song: Highway Star (1972).

08. JOE JACKSON: fascinating evolution, from the sharp new wave hero of the late 70s to the sophisticated crooner of the mid 80s, fishing in the fertile waters of jazz, latin, funk and… pop.
My favourite album: Body and Soul (1984).
My favourite song: Not Here Not Now (1984).

09. JAPAN: from the nasty late 70s (they began as a clone of New York Dolls) to the glamorous early 80s (they ended as an electronic Roxy Music fascinated by the Far East images and sounds).
My favourite album: Tin Drum (1981).
My favourite song: Visions of China (1981).

10. RUFUS WAINWRIGHT: and to end this sophisticated list (hey, not that much, there is Deep Purple on it) here it comes sophistication at its peak. Son of two prestigious singers-songwriters and classically-trained, Rufus displays a fascinating and lush concept of pop.
My favourite album: Want Two (2004).
My favourite song: The One You Love (2004).

Backstage wing:
01. GERRY GOFFIN & CAROLE KING: at the beginning of the 60s they were a real teenage couple writing splendid teenage symphonies from the Brill Building that fulfilled the teenager dreams. Favourite song: THE CHIFFONS One Fine Day (1963).
02. ANTON CORBJIN: a director and photographer with a very own style that, although not only (see Nirvana’s “Heart Shaped Box” in 1993), is mainly based in black and white suggestive images as the ones in Joy Division’s “Atmosphere” (1988) or my favourite one: DEPECHE MODE Never Let Me Down Again (1987).
03. ROBERT MAPPLETHORPE: not many years ago we saw the passing of Mapplethorpe victim of AIDS, the creator of a disturbing but fascinating universe with his provocative black and white pictures, not hiding pornographic subjects. His connection with the rock world came by the hand of friend, muse and former lover Patti Smith. Favourite cover art: PATTI SMITH "Horses"
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

1. Tricky
2. This Heat
3. Tindersticks
4. Elmore James
5. Jefferson Airplane
6. The United States of America
7. Boards of Canada
8. Gang of Four
9. Stereolab
10. Albert Ayler
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

1. Prefab Sprout
2. Iron Maiden
3. Nat King Cole
4. Gil Scott-Heron
5. Georges Brassens
6. Ennio Morricone
7. Dead Can Dance
8. Astor Piazzolla
9. Deep Purple
10. Junior Boys
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

1. Modest Mouse
2. Weezer
3. Boards of Canda
4. Burial
5. Billy Joel
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Poll is closed. Thanks to everyone for voting! This was the biggest turnout we've had in the entire new voting period! Results will be announced later.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

The four inductees this year are... (Drumroll please)

Alain Bashung!!!
Georges Brassens
Nat King Cole
Jefferson Airplane

The backstage entry for this year is The Wrecking Crew.

Thanks again to everyone for voting over the past few months! It is truly great to be a member of forum with so many different tastes in music, I must say!

I will create the induction pages for all of the previous new entrants, as well as create an interesting little thread that I will propose once those pages have been created.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”