Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards

Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

What a disgrace. The Clash album is number one and the album they stole the idea from is not even in the top 100.

And WHY would anybody like that Patti Smith cover? She's an ugly woman who looks like a skinny man, with no curves at all. She looks revolting to me.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: 2014 Album Cover Poll - Results

Post by Pierre »

OK, I came around without logging in, which in the present case means "without my anti-Bruce glasses on", and I deeply regret it. Seriously, such a comment about Patti Smith should be enough to get this guy banned from the forum.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bruce wrote:And WHY would anybody like that Patti Smith cover? She's an ugly woman who looks like a skinny man, with no curves at all. She looks revolting to me.
Misogyny on the net. Gotta love it :mrgreen:

Hey, dumbass, did you ever think that everyone voted for these covers for their artistic quality, not that you would ever know that what that even is. Not everyone chooses covers featuring women on them for their "good looks". Not all of us dudes approach and treat women with our dicks replacing our mind and sense.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Bruce wrote:And WHY would anybody like that Patti Smith cover? She's an ugly woman who looks like a skinny man, with no curves at all. She looks revolting to me.
You're a sexist pig, and I'm pretty sure you're only doing this in an attempt to sidetrack this topic.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

BleuPanda wrote:
You're a sexist pig, and I'm pretty sure you're only doing this in an attempt to sidetrack this topic.
I'm just giving my honest opinion of the results.

Do any of you think that the results are a problem when the Clash album is number one and the album that it stole its idea from is not even on the list? According to jimmy the covers are being judged for their artistic quality. If that was true how can the Clash album POSSIBLY rank higher than the Elvis album?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Bruce wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:

Do any of you think that the results are a problem when the Clash album is number one and the album that it stole its idea from is not even on the list? According to jimmy the covers are being judged for their artistic quality. If that was true how can the Clash album POSSIBLY rank higher than the Elvis album?
While I agree Elvis Presley should be on the list, you're missing the image itself on London Calling. It's the guitar being smashed into the ground that is iconic.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Bruce wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:

I don't give a dang about it.

We're not criticizing your "honest" opinion about the results, but your attitude toward women. You're a disgusting person, Bruce.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

How dare Tom Waits steal the London Calling cover for Rain Dogs? :angry-nono:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pointless and/or repulsive arguings will be moved to this thread.

Sorry, but that's the way it gotta be. At least for a while.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Barney, Brabble & Brawl

Post by Jirin »

I petition we rename this thread: Bawlers, Brawlers and Bastards. ;)
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

BleuPanda wrote: While I agree Elvis Presley should be on the list, you're missing the image itself on London Calling. It's the guitar being smashed into the ground that is iconic.
Are you saying that the Elvis cover is not more iconic than the Clash cover?
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Barney, Brabble & Brawl

Post by Henrik »

Jirin wrote:I petition we rename this thread: Bawlers, Brawlers and Bastards. ;)
You got it! The original is always the best of course...
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Pierre wrote:We're not criticizing your "honest" opinion about the results, but your attitude toward women. You're a disgusting person, Bruce.
Are you saying that you don't prefer to look at attractive women than to look at ugly women?

Do you have a problem with this thread in the Digital Dream Door Forums?

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/forum/viewt ... f=55&t=534
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Re: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards

Post by Listyguy »

Only Bruce could manage to get a poll on ALBUM COVERS locked. Seriously, God damn.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Bruce wrote:
Pierre wrote:We're not criticizing your "honest" opinion about the results, but your attitude toward women. You're a disgusting person, Bruce.
Are you saying that you don't prefer to look at attractive women than to look at ugly women?

The acclaim for the cover of Horses has nothing to do with Smith's looks. It's all in her attitude, the jacket slung over her shoulder. Horses is the precursor to the punk movement, and her style on the cover is a perfectly poignant example of the style. This isn't how women are supposed to dress or look, and that's the greatness. It's a subtle act of rebellion.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

BleuPanda wrote:This isn't how women are supposed to dress or look, and that's the greatness. It's a subtle act of rebellion.
Are you saying that she intentionally wanted to look unfeminine.....and that if she wanted to, she could make herself look very attractive?

Does everything have to be PC around here. Do you guys actually want me to believe that you don't enjoy looking at hot women?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

BleuPanda wrote: The acclaim for the cover of Horses has nothing to do with Smith's looks. It's all in her attitude, the jacket slung over her shoulder. Horses is the precursor to the punk movement, and her style on the cover is a perfectly poignant example of the style. This isn't how women are supposed to dress or look, and that's the greatness. It's a subtle act of rebellion.
I would tell her to go listen to song number 206 on this site and pay close attention to the lyrics.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Bruce wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:This isn't how women are supposed to dress or look, and that's the greatness. It's a subtle act of rebellion.
Are you saying that she intentionally wanted to look unfeminine.....and that if she wanted to, she could make herself look very attractive?

Does everything have to be PC around here. Do you guys actually want me to believe that you don't enjoy looking at hot women?
So the only positive quality a woman can posses is her attractiveness? The attitude in the "Horses" cover is what draws me to it, Smith's attractiveness has no part in it.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

BleuPanda wrote:
Bruce wrote:

The acclaim for the cover of Horses has nothing to do with Smith's looks. It's all in her attitude, the jacket slung over her shoulder. Horses is the precursor to the punk movement, and her style on the cover is a perfectly poignant example of the style. This isn't how women are supposed to dress or look, and that's the greatness. It's a subtle act of rebellion.
There is, of course, a much larger problem with lookism, which is the number of female artists who have struggled because they don't fit the record company mould, while talentless beauty pageant queens get autotuned pap at the top of the charts. I think Patti Smith is a beautiful confident woman in the style of Nina Simone, Janis Joplin and Britney Howard (thought I was going somewhere else with that, didn't you?)
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Nick wrote: So the only positive quality a woman can posses is her attractiveness? The attitude in the "Horses" cover is what draws me to it, Smith's (lack of) attractiveness has no part in it.
Of course not, but we're just talking here about "looking" at women on album covers. You're not gonna ever meet this person or have any interaction with them. You're just gonna look at them on an album cover. The cover should be judged entirely on its own merits, which means you should judge it as if you never heard any of the music on the album.

Judging the cover based on factors that have nothing to do with the cover is just as bad as judging the woman's music based on her looks.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Bruce wrote:

Uh, yes. I do not enjoy looking at hot women. I greatly prefer looking at hot men.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Then again, attractiveness and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as the saying says. What one man may find attractive in a woman may not be the same as the other.

Thumbs up to the BleuPanda comment btw. Not everyone on this forum is necessarily the same as you in various respects and aspects of their personal life, pig.

Finally, the whole fuckin point of this poll is great album ART. Patti Smith's cover art symbolizes the rebellious zeitgeist of punk, and 70s feminism. PJ Harvey or Hole's covers from the 90s symbolize feminism in that decade, similarly.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:Pointless and/or repulsive arguings will be moved to this thread.

Sorry, but that's the way it gotta be. At least for a while.
No need to say you're sorry, Henrik, you made it clear last time that if we were ever to start arguing about Bruce's personality and attitude again, this sanction would follow, and we proceeded anyway. I knew this would end this way. Of course, you're the final judge on whoever is responsible for this childish situation, but I take the responsability of what I said and have no intention of backing down from it. I think that Bruce is the only person really accountable for that and think every single word of what I said about him. I consider him an egotistical, mysoginistic, reactionary and thick-headed person and in my opinion, and I state it clearly, you would avoid yourself the chore of moving those discussions and you would do yourself and us a favour by banning Bruce from this forum again, and definitely this time. Frankly, if you were to implement that polling mod, one of the first poll to hold would be whether Bruce must be banned or not, and I would not hide my vote.

Now for the last dumb thing to escape Bruce's foul mouth...
Bruce wrote:

First thing first, I'd need to log in to see the topic on DDD Forums, but I don't care about it, since as people said already, you missed the point completely. Of course, I'd enjoy looking at Rihanna more than Beth Ditto, but that was not what I talked about. What I was trying to tell you is that you're expressing it in an extremely contemptuous and mysoginistic way. You have no respect for women whatsoever, and thus to my eyes you're despicable.

Beside that, Patti Smith's cover art for "Horses" is one of the greatest photograph ever, her attitude, the way she looks at the camera, the way she dresses, everything is powerful here. She conveys the rebellious spirit of rock and her rebuttal of the clichés of feminine beauty better than any Wanda Jackson or Ronettes cover arts ever did before (if you assume they even tried). But I believe this was said already and you simply ignored it as usual. Furthermore, you've already stated that you asked nothing more from music than being good for partying, and only considered the people we called artists as craftsmen, which is a view that the forumers have almost universally disapproved of. Since you believe you're right against a few dozens of forumers, I will call it quit now. This post is long enough already.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

DocBrown wrote: I think Patti Smith is a beautiful confident woman in the style of Nina Simone, Janis Joplin and Britney Howard
Janis Joplin was anything but confident. She suffered from low self esteem.

The Joplins felt that Janis always needed more attention than their other children, with her mother stating, "She was unhappy and unsatisfied without [receiving a lot of attention]. The normal rapport wasn't adequate." As a teenager, she befriended a group of outcasts, one of whom had albums by blues artists Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey and Lead Belly, whom Joplin later credited with influencing her decision to become a singer.

Primarily a painter while still in school, she first began singing blues and folk music with friends. While at Thomas Jefferson High School, she stated that she was mostly shunned. Joplin was quoted as saying, "I was a misfit. I read, I painted, I didn't hate niggers."

As a teen, she became overweight and her skin broke out so badly she was left with deep scars which required dermabrasion. Other kids at high school would routinely taunt her and call her names like "pig", "freak", "nigger lover" or "creep".

By early 1969, Joplin was allegedly shooting at least $200 worth of heroin per day, although efforts were made to keep her clean during the recording of I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama!. Gabriel Mekler, who produced the Kozmic Blues, told publicist-turned-biographer Myra Friedman after Joplin's death that the singer had lived in his house during the June 1969 recording sessions at his insistence so he could keep her away from drugs and her drug-using friends.

WOODSTOCK - Initially Joplin was eager to get on the stage and perform, but she kept getting delayed as bands were contractually obliged to perform before her. Faced with a ten-hour wait after arriving at the backstage area, she shot heroin with Caserta and was drinking alcohol, so by the time she hit the stage, she was "three sheets to the wind".

In addition to Woodstock, Joplin also had problems at Madison Square Garden in 1969. Biographer Myra Friedman claimed to have witnessed a duet Joplin sang with Tina Turner during a concert by The Rolling Stones at the Garden on Thanksgiving Day. Friedman described Joplin during this performance as "so drunk, so stoned, so out of control, that she could have been an institutionalized psychotic rent by mania."
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

BleuPanda wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Uh, yes. I do not enjoy looking at hot women. I greatly prefer looking at hot men.
And I assume you prefer looking at hot men rather than at ugly men?

Don't worry, there's a DDD thread for hot men too:

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/forum/viewt ... f=55&t=642
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Of course I do, but my definition of hot is massively different than what I'm assuming you think it is. I'm more of a James Murphy kind of guy. And my opinions on the quality of images has nothing to do with attraction, unless it's porn of course ;)
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Pierre wrote: Beside that, Patti Smith's cover art for "Horses" is one of the greatest photograph ever, her attitude, the way she looks at the camera, the way she dresses, everything is powerful here. She conveys the rebellious spirit of rock and her rebuttal of the clichés of feminine beauty better than any Wanda Jackson or Ronettes cover arts ever did before (if you assume they even tried).
The rock and roll that I like best is not so much about rebellion. I think that's a romantic myth that you younger guys have taken to mean much more than it really did. The top female acts of all time (the Supremes, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Brown, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Barbra Steisand) were not about rebellion at all.

My girlfriend told me that when she saw the Ronettes live in 1964 she thought that Ronnie Spector was the most beautiful and glamorous woman she had ever seen, with the hair and eyelashes, etc....she wished she could like like her.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Bruce wrote:
Pierre wrote: Beside that, Patti Smith's cover art for "Horses" is one of the greatest photograph ever, her attitude, the way she looks at the camera, the way she dresses, everything is powerful here. She conveys the rebellious spirit of rock and her rebuttal of the clichés of feminine beauty better than any Wanda Jackson or Ronettes cover arts ever did before (if you assume they even tried).
The rock and roll that I like best is not so much about rebellion. I think that's a romantic myth that you younger guys have taken to mean much more than it really did. The top female acts of all time (the Supremes, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Brown, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Barbra Steisand) were not about rebellion at all.

My girlfriend told me that when she saw the Ronettes live in 1964 she thought that Ronnie Spector was the most beautiful and glamorous woman she had ever seen, with the hair and eyelashes, etc....she wished she could like like her.
Your demonstration is invalid.

1. The rock you like best is not so much about rebellion. That's great, but that doesn't stop rock culture in general from having a commonly accepted rebellious consonance today. That the songs you like to listen to in particular are not talking about rebellion is of no importance. As far as I can see, you're far from being a demonstrative sample of the music audience.

2. You think it's a romantic myth that "us younger guys" (what does allow you to believe only young guys think that?) have taken to mean much more than it really did. That's what you think. The commonly accepted view tells otherwise. But whatever you draw in your blinders, I don't care about.

3. The top female acts, etc. According to YOU. I'd like to listen to anything by Tina Turner (preferably her solo career), Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, The Slits, Kim Gordon or Debbie Harry before even thinking about listening to something by Barbra Streisand.

4. Your girlfriend said that Ronnie Spector was a beautiful girl. I won't argue, she surely was. That doesn't have anything to do with the rest.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Pierre wrote:OK, I came around without logging in, which in the present case means "without my anti-Bruce glasses on", and I deeply regret it. Seriously, such a comment about Patti Smith should be enough to get this guy banned from the forum.
Anti-Bruce glasses, I Like that. Is there a cream I can rub on with a BPF45?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pierre wrote:you would do yourself and us a favour by banning Bruce from this forum again, and definitely this time
I have sent Bruce a PM saying that he will be banned again. I have just given him 30 more minutes to give him a chance to respond.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:
Pierre wrote:you would do yourself and us a favour by banning Bruce from this forum again, and definitely this time
I have sent Bruce a PM saying that he will be banned again. I have just given him 30 more minutes to give him a chance to respond.
Oh my, is this it? :scared-eek:
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Am I the only one that gets the feeling Bruce is divorced?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Henrik wrote:
Thank you, Henrik, you have certainly made the right choice. I'm sure this will be welcome news to all members of this forum whose names are not Bruce. Please do not let him make a new account this time.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Pierre wrote:3. The top female acts, etc. According to YOU.
No, according to record sales, popularity, longevity, and general historical significance.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Listyguy wrote:Am I the only one that gets the feeling Bruce is divorced?
I've been with the same woman for 14 years now.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:
It's a shame that you would ban someone for merely expressing an opinion about Patti Smith's looks.

I did not get personal with anybody on the site, despite several of them calling me names.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Bruce is not a complete troll. Good points sometimes. It's like ending the life of the cat that pees on the rug sometimes. It's a good cat. This is a true story, my cat does pee in the wrong place every now and then. But I won't have it killed. Pretty terrible comparison, I mean Bruce is a smart guy. And I don't like Bruce as much as my cat. Not trying to be funny, just whatever, idk.

Edit: And yeah, good points Pierre and JimmyJazz.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I feel like that
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

PlasticRam wrote:Bruce is not a complete troll. Good points sometimes.
Yeah, but everything is in the "sometimes". Besides, I've not criticized his opinions that much, what has always bothered me most was his behaviour.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

PlasticRam wrote:Bruce is not a complete troll. Good points sometimes.
It is not the (very occasional) good points he makes (I am thinking of the weighting of older, pre-album artists which Henrik ended up choosing and that I personally like, that's like the ONLY point that comes up for me). It is the fact that he trolls and acts horribly and offensively, and like Pierre said, the fact that his agenda is not to have a genuine conversation it is just to be obnoxious and prove that he is indisputably right. That is entirely the definition of a troll.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Bruce wrote:
It's a shame that you would ban someone for merely expressing an opinion about Patti Smith's looks.
I honestly cannot fathom the absolute lack of self-awareness you must posses for you to even believe for a moment that this is the sole reason for your ban.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nick wrote:
Bruce wrote:
I honestly cannot fathom the absolute lack of self-awareness you must posses for you to even believe for a moment that this is the sole reason for your ban.
You express my thoughts perfectly.

So... Is it done? I don't see him appearing at the bottom in the active registered users for the forum. Does it mean he's gone for good?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Bruce wrote: I did not get personal with anybody on the site, despite several of them calling me names.
SavoyBG wrote:Since I know that Henrik is too much of a cunt to let this post stay in the forum, I am going to PM it to as many of you as I can before I post it.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Well, the banning is done. I don't feel happy though. Exhausted rather. I wish it was possible to have a friendly forum without having to interfere. I think we all became "pigs" in the end, with old anger coming up to the surface. To a newcomer, it might have looked like all-against-one bullying.

But let's move on and make the forum the comfy place again, that many of you have said this place generally is.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:Well, the banning is done. I don't feel happy though. Exhausted rather. I wish it was possible to have a friendly forum without having to interfere. I think we all became "pigs" in the end, with old anger coming up to the surface. To a newcomer, it might have looked like all-against-one bullying.

But let's move on and make the forum the comfy place again, that many of you have said this place generally is.
I do understand your feeling, Henrik. I would like to say that I don't feel happy either, and that it's sad this man refused to learn from his mistakes and our complaints... But I feel better now that he's gone, I would be hypocrite to say otherwise.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Thank you Henrik, you made the right call. I hope he doesn't find a way around his ban again.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Listyguy wrote:I hope he doesn't find a way around his ban again.
This is what I have been worried about, all since he came back. It might just get worse if create new accounts and don't reveal who he is. How can we defend ourselves against that?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Henrik wrote:
This is what I have been worried about, all since he came back. It might just get worse if create new accounts and don't reveal who he is. How can we defend ourselves against that?
If he can actually hide who he is, that probably suggests a change in attitude. I'm pretty sure we can figure it out, and if we can't, it probably won't matter.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

BleuPanda wrote:
Henrik wrote:
If he can actually hide who he is, that probably suggests a change in attitude. I'm pretty sure we can figure it out, and if we can't, it probably won't matter.
This is exactly right. Unfortunately, the most recognizable trait about Bruce was always his poor attitude, which far eclipsed his extensive knowledge of (some) music. If his attitude were to change to the point that he was unrecognizable, then there probably wouldn't be a problem. He might even be able to make some positive contributions to the discussions.

In the very beginning, when he was still SavoyBG, I made an attempt to talk to him about his attitude. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I think I told him I'd be happy to reply to recommendations of his or respond to anything positive. I told him at that time I would never again respond to another negative post of his. Needless to say, I've been awfully quiet lately. Thanks again, Henrik, for always trying to make this site the friendliest place possible. Hopefully, incidents like this will be extremely rare, since I know it would never be enjoyable to ban someone from the forum (however necessary it might be).
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

Thank you Henrik... As much as I liked to hope that the Bruce situation would resolve itself some other way, it would have taken a miracle (not to mention a complete attitude readjustment on Bruce's part)... Regardless, I look forward to a forum free of the anger and frustration that he brought in his wake :happy-partydance:

PS: Also, love the new avatars Pierre and BleuPanda :D
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

jamieW wrote:
In the very beginning, when he was still SavoyBG
It's the same person? :o I hadn't realised, I thought he was a just friend of his that had migrated over from somewhere else hahaha

In response to that absolutely vile post at the start of the thread. They did not just steal the idea. Appropriation, homage and recycling are a big (and acceptable) part of visual art, especially in album art. Not to mention the design of the cover is objectively better. The letters correctly frame the subject, 'calling' actually hits the bottom of the frame (unlike 'presley'), and the crispness of the typography is balanced against the blurred photo. That being said I think the Elvis cover should be in the top 50 as well.

Also that Patti Smith album cover is brilliant and she is a babe, so, nuh.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”