EOY 2014 Albums - Spreadsheet Updates

Harold
Into the Groove

EOY 2014 Albums - Spreadsheet Updates

Post by Harold »

Since several of the major UK players have weighed in early with their lists, I thought I'd post the spreadsheet. Included are the following:

USA: Decibel; Revolver; American Songwriter
UK: Mojo; Q; Uncut; NME
Rest of the World: Sonic [Sweden], Intro [Germany]

Henrik, you'll probably want to make this a sticky post. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Re: EOY 2014 Albums - Spreadsheet Updates

Post by notdarkyet »

Love the way you do this every year Harold. A big thank you for it!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

The War on Drugs is killing it so far.
I feel like that
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Swans and Flying Lotus are a bit lower than I anticipated and you were right - Sturgill Simpson seems to have come out of nowhere. Must check that album put before the end of the year. Otherwise, similar to what was expected.

Will definitely be keeping tabs on how the list evolves over the next month. Cheers Harold - keep up the top work!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Matski wrote:Swans and Flying Lotus are a bit lower than I anticipated and you were right
They'll climb up, the lists included so far are not from the most adventurous sources.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

It's me or it's not a year with an obvious leader. The game is going to be tight I think.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Great, Harold!

Waht about EOY 2014 Songs? :mrgreen:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruno wrote:Great, Harold!

Waht about EOY 2014 Songs? :mrgreen:
I took care of that last year, and I can do it again, but I am really busy with other work at the moment, so if anyone wants to start on a spreadsheet that would be great. If so, use the last year's EOY songs sheet as a template.

Let me take this opportunity to thank you again, Harold! Great start! I'm not sure what Romain meant that there's no obvious leader... It might still be tight in the end, but then the US sources have to pick another favorite than The War on Drugs.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Harold
Into the Groove

EOY 2014 Albums - Spreadsheet Update, December 1

Post by Harold »

Added in this update:

USA: Rolling Stone; Paste; Glide
UK: The Guardian [#10-40]; The Line of Best Fit; The Quietus
Rest of the World: Mondosonoro-International (Spain); Gaffa (Sweden); Gaffa (Denmark); Blow Up (Italy)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Looking at the bottom of the spreadsheet, I realized that I somehow screwed up the entry of the lower reaches of the Decibel list. I've fixed the errors, but considering that the corrections don't impact the top 347 albums on the version I just posted, those corrections will be included on the next update. Apologies to all you Thantifaxath fans out there!
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

The biggest surprise for me so far is the almost-complete lack of mentions for tUnE-yArDs' Nikki Nack. Considering how beloved the last album was (#1 on Pazz & Jop for 2011, among other things), and how well received this one was upon release, I would certainly have expected it to show up on more than one list. Maybe that will change.

What is it with Lana Del Rey, anyway? That's two albums in a row now which were lukewarm on Mega-Critic all year and then suddenly explode on the EOY lists, this one even more so. It's a little bizarre.

Highest-rated MegaCritic album to not have a single EOY mention yet: Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra, Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

notdarkyet noticed that disappointing lack of mentions for 'Nikki Nack' in the Predictions thread too. While they were able to recognise how good the album is, maybe critics kept other albums within their personal rotation for longer. Who knows...
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

As someone who actually enjoyed the new U2, I'm kind of glad to see it in the top 50 so far.....
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

Nice to see St. Vincent doing so well. Hope she manages to keeps her position.
Ulysses
Are You Experienced?

Post by Ulysses »

Not sure if it's because you don't count 'best of all time' lists here, but I noticed that Pitchfork's 'top 100 albums from the decade so far' list wasn't included in the ratings. Maybe that's consciously so, but felt like mentioning it.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Ulysses wrote:Not sure if it's because you don't count 'best of all time' lists here, but I noticed that Pitchfork's 'top 100 albums from the decade so far' list wasn't included in the ratings. Maybe that's consciously so, but felt like mentioning it.
The Pitchfork list will count when it's added to the website in the next update, but since this is strictly a board for EOY lists, it won't count towards the spreadsheet.
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

Harold wrote:The biggest surprise for me so far is the almost-complete lack of mentions for tUnE-yArDs' Nikki Nack. Considering how beloved the last album was (#1 on Pazz & Jop for 2011, among other things), and how well received this one was upon release, I would certainly have expected it to show up on more than one list. Maybe that will change.

What is it with Lana Del Rey, anyway? That's two albums in a row now which were lukewarm on Mega-Critic all year and then suddenly explode on the EOY lists, this one even more so. It's a little bizarre.

Highest-rated MegaCritic album to not have a single EOY mention yet: Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra, Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything.
Disagree on Nikki Nack - I adored Who-Kill but Nikki-Nack is just missing something on an intangible level...it's a very daring, adventurous album, but for me nothing on it truly congeals, with the possible exception of the skit Dine on the Tots. I actually felt it was the most disappointing release of the year...far from the worst, just the most disappointing...so many songs that feel about to launch into the stratosphere but at the end of the day nothing on it truly takes flight.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA: Stereogum; Pretty Much Amazing
UK: The Guardian [#6-9]; Gigwise; Time Out; The Skinny; MusicOMH
Rest of the World: Rumore (Italy); OOR (Netherlands); FasterLouder (Australia); Magic RPM (France)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Harold wrote:What is it with Lana Del Rey, anyway? That's two albums in a row now which were lukewarm on Mega-Critic all year and then suddenly explode on the EOY lists, this one even more so. It's a little bizarre.
I think Mega-Critic isn't very predictive for the EOY lists when it comes to multi-million sellers. It doesn't matter if it's Lana Del Rey, Taylor Swift or Daft Punk. Probably the critics are ungenerous with their ratings for albums that get so much attention anyway and/or the bar is set higher for major artists. However, the EOY lists are more of a "what we listened to" statement, where there's usually plenty of room for a few major artists, especially if they "defined the year".
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Mega-Critic, while very useful for discovering music, isn't all that great of a predictor for EOY lists for another reason too. On Mega-Critic, an album that gets 20 reviews, and 10 of those reviews give it a perfect 100 and the other 10 give it a 0, is going to have a Mega-Critic score of 50 (i.e. a really, really low score). Meanwhile, an album that gets 20 reviews, and each of those 20 reviews gives it a score of 70, is going to have a Mega-Critic score of 70 (i.e. a decent, though not great score). Ultimately, the one that scored 70 is going to outpace the one that scored 50 by a huge distance in Mega-Critic, but come EOY time, the one that got 10 incredible reviews is going to be at the top, or near the top, of all of those lists, giving it a high EOY placement. While on the other hand, the album that scored 70 from all 20 reviewers probably won't make any EOY lists at all.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Nick made a good point. But simply put, the albums we remember come December are often different from the albums that got high scores upon first release. One great example is Sleaford Mods. The reviews were overall mixed, but when I listened to it, it definitely caught my attention and etched itself into my mind. Apparently it did that to enough critics that they remembered it after so many months. A memorable album is more important than one that may get excellent reviews but doesn't make as big of an impact. Another opposite example is Ex Hex's Rips. An album I deemed excellent when I first heard it (and indeed, it received universally excellent reviews), but one that I didn't find myself returning to much. And now it's relatively forgotten on the EOY lists. And that's why I listen to EOY lists more than reviews. Yes some of it is popularity, but much of it is which music stood the test of time for the year.

One last example. I wasn't a fan of Beck's latest when I first heard it, but somehow it became one of my most played LPs as I gained more and more appreciation for it. If I reviewed it back in February, the score wouldn't be too high. But it would perhaps make my personal EOY list.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

As a blanket rule, I find that end of year lists are more favorable to familiar artists than initial reviews. I believe The Field's From Here We Go To Sublime? was the best reviewed album of 2007, but it wound up placing between a bunch of average reviewed albums by more familiar artists like Kanye West, Wilco and PJ Harvey.
kufala
Are You Experienced?

Post by kufala »

[quote="Harold"]The biggest surprise for me so far is the almost-complete lack of mentions for tUnE-yArDs' Nikki Nack. Considering how beloved the last album was (#1 on Pazz & Jop for 2011, among other things), and how well received this one was upon release, I would certainly have expected it to show up on more than one list. Maybe that will change.

Update: Nikki Nack is no.9 in the SPIN EOY list!
Harold
Into the Groove

EOY 2014 Albums - Spreadsheet Update, December 9

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA: Entertainment Weekly; A.V. Club; PopMatters; NPR; Spin; Magnet
UK: The 405; Fact; Wire
Rest of the World: Rockerilla (Italy)
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: EOY 2014 Albums - Spreadsheet Update, December 9

Post by Harold »

Harold wrote:Updated with:

USA: Entertainment Weekly; A.V. Club; PopMatters; NPR; Spin; Magnet
UK: The 405; Fact; Wire
Rest of the World: Rockerilla (Italy)
Also #4-5 from The Guardian, of course. The three remaining albums are almost certainly - unless Benji sneaks in there - the spreadsheet's top three.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

The day has come that Taylor Swift is quite critically acclaimed. I don't know what I'm gonna do now.
I feel like that
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

PlasticRam wrote:The day has come that Taylor Swift is quite critically acclaimed. I don't know what I'm gonna do now.
Just go with it, man - it's T-Swift's world now, and we're just living in it. I have to say, 1989 is a pretty state-of-the-art pop record - the idea she's selling that it's her "first pop album" is utter nonsense, of course (what's she been doing?), but Pop Circa Now it most certainly is, with huge hooks and massive shoutalong choruses filling nearly every song. I didn't necessarily expect it to hit the top 20 on the spreadsheet (I expect it to stay there), but I figured her time had come, critically speaking.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

It's worth stating that all of her albums received solid reviews, even if this is her first to garner particularly high EOY success. She has always been a talented singer-songwriter, even if her media persona made her easy to poke fun at. The success of 1989 isn't as shocking as, say, if Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber put out acclaimed albums.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Harold wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:The day has come that Taylor Swift is quite critically acclaimed. I don't know what I'm gonna do now.
Just go with it, man - it's T-Swift's world now, and we're just living in it. I have to say, 1989 is a pretty state-of-the-art pop record - the idea she's selling that it's her "first pop album" is utter nonsense, of course (what's she been doing?), but Pop Circa Now it most certainly is, with huge hooks and massive shoutalong choruses filling nearly every song. I didn't necessarily expect it to hit the top 20 on the spreadsheet (I expect it to stay there), but I figured her time had come, critically speaking.
And I still do not know who is she, what she sing and and I have never seen what she looks like... unlike Bieber or One Direction or Minaj for example where even if I do not listen there, I see them regularly broadcast on tv.
I think it's really an american thing.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Romain wrote:
Harold wrote:
And I still do not know who is she, what she sing and and I have never seen what she looks like... unlike Bieber or One Direction or Minaj for example where even if I do not listen there, I see them regularly broadcast on tv.
Not really, here in the Netherlands Shake It Off is unstoppable on the radio at the moment. She has become prominent however, only after going pop. Her early country years never got much attention here.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

In Australia, they are about to sell tickets to her show which is NEXT December. Crazy.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

To be fair, she's always been held in fairly high esteem in certain circles. It's just that rock critics traditionally ignore mainstream pop music, though that's slowly starting to change.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Jeff wrote:
To be fair, she's always been held in fairly high esteem in certain circles. It's just that rock critics traditionally ignore mainstream pop music, though that's slowly starting to change.
Also, she wasn't always mainstream pop. Early on she was country, which gets even less attention by major critics. It's only after fully embracing pop that she's getting the accolades now.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

irreduciblekoan wrote:Also, she wasn't always mainstream pop. Early on she was country, which gets even less attention by major critics. It's only after fully embracing pop that she's getting the accolades now.
Though your comment about embracing pop is right, she has definitely been within the realm of "mainstream" pop since, at latest, 2010's "Speak Now." The most significant change Swift is making isn't the transition from country to pop - that happened before most audiences knew who she was - it's the transition from pop to electropop.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Yeah, that's true. And also, let's not overthink this. 1989 IS her best and biggest album, after a career of solid albums. Listening to it, one can tell that Swift was consciously trying to become a critical darling by embracing the sort of style most critics are going for these days. And she succeeded on the strength of her talent.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Not a single placement for Timber Timbre??????????????????????????????????
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik wrote:Not a single placement for Timber Timbre??????????????????????????????????
It's on the Exclaim! list, which I will add as usual once all of their discrete genre lists are posted.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Romain wrote:
Harold wrote:
No way, you're waaaaaaayyyyy more likely to hear a Taylor Swift song than a Bieber or One Direction one, whether it's when you turn on the radio, watch a music TV channel or enter any shop. I have actually never heard One Direction on the radio, you pretty much only see them in shows like "Le Petit Journal" when they poke fun at their fans. Only started in 2012 though, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" and "I Knew You Were Trouble" were massive hits but the 2010 songs I don't think so much.
It's possible that Bieber and OneD sold more records than her in France, the big difference though is that Taylor's music permeates over much more generations and medias, Bieber and OneD seems to inhabit that same strange "teenage only" space as the Jonas Brothers, Tokio Hotel or tektonik music did which make any people over 20 say "who the f*** are they and why is there so many people to see them ?", it's like those teens live in a completely different dimension. They might generate more money, because teens go crazy, but they don't seem to hit the collective mind as broader appealing pop stars like Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars or Lady Gaga.
Tokio Hotel, tektonik and Jonas Brothers are already forgotten (or remembered with shame) and OneD will go the same way... not completely sure for Bieber, he seems somewhere in between.
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

yay !!! the ultimate list of the year ! great job guys.
my favorite album (INTERPOL - ELPINTOR) of the year is only 58th .... :(
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Nassim wrote: No way, you're waaaaaaayyyyy more likely to hear a Taylor Swift song than a Bieber or One Direction one, whether it's when you turn on the radio, watch a music TV channel or enter any shop. I have actually never heard One Direction on the radio, you pretty much only see them in shows like "Le Petit Journal" when they poke fun at their fans. They might generate more money, because teens go crazy, but they don't seem to hit the collective mind as broader appealing pop stars like Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars or Lady Gaga.
Tokio Hotel, tektonik and Jonas Brothers are already forgotten (or remembered with shame) and OneD will go the same way... not completely sure for Bieber, he seems somewhere in between.

It's excatly that. They are names that I hear regularly but I never really know what they are singing (except Baby, baby baby whooo). But Taylor swift is totally unknown, really, I never see a single picture of here and I never see his name appear in magazines, even to make fun of here. In fact, the only place I've heard of it, it's here.
It's not like Bruno Mars or Lady Gaga, even if I do not want to know them, they intagrated the popular culture.
Harold
Into the Groove

EOY 2014 Albums - Spreadsheet Update, December 12

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA: Amazon; AllMusic; Slant; Austin Town Hall; Billboard; Consequence of Sound
UK: Drowned in Sound; Dummy; Digital Fix; Clash
Rest of the World: Soundi [Intl & Natl] (Finland); De Volkskrant (Netherlands); The Age (Australia)
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Reception for Andy Stott is disappointing. Luxury Problems did very well on the spreadsheet (and AM update), and if not AS great, Faith In Strangers was close and certainly one of the year's best electronic releases.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm really surprised (and saddened- this album is a definite top 10 of the year for me) that "The Long Goodbye" by LCD Soundsystem hasn't made a single list so far. There are 780 albums on the spreadsheet, but the final release by one of the past decade's greatest artists probably won't be joining them. I wonder if this is the death knell of live albums relationship with critical acclaim. When was the last time a live album cracked the top 3000 anyway? Because if LCD freakin' Soundsystem couldn't do it with an album of their last concert ever, then who can?
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Is it just me or is this the weirdest consensus for EOY albums in recent memory?

Coming into this year, who had The War on Drugs, St. Vincent, FKA Twigs, Run the Jewels, and Sun Kil Moon as the top 5?? Maybe there haven't been as many high-profile releases this year as usual, but seems like a strange bunch. Like, why is this the St. Vincent album to really threaten for album of the year, and not her previous two? And I like the Sun Kil Moon album, but they've been going for a long time without nearly as much mainstream acclaim.

I guess I'm not sure what I really expected heading into EOY season. I thought Todd Terje might be more of a favorite than has been the case. For the record, I don't dislike these albums, just think it's kind of a funny group.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

It is an odd top five (if it settles with them) though I enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. Think you were spot on with picking off 'St. Vincent' and 'Benji' as being weird highlights. Both records are a worthy listens but neither are my favorite that their respective artists has so far released, whereas I'd say 'Lost in the Dream' and 'Run the Jewels 2' are.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jackson wrote:Is it just me or is this the weirdest consensus for EOY albums in recent memory?
It's a little weird, but is it any weirder than, say, 2012? In 2012 we had Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar, Tame Impala, Swans, and Grizzly Bear as AM's top 5 of the year. Of those 5, only Grizzly Bear would've been even a reasonably safe pick at the start of 2012.
birdsingreek
I'm New Here

Post by birdsingreek »

Just appearing from lurker mode to point out that Amazon UK have their own list. I don't know if it's eligible to be included and am not Excel savvy so hesitant to fiddle with the spreadsheet myself.

EDIT:
The Telegraph
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Post by letmeintomyzone »

What albums will make it into the top 400?

Predicting:
Lost in the Dream
St. Vincent
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

letmeintomyzone wrote:Lost in the Dream
How many Springsteen albums will it beat?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Henrik wrote:
letmeintomyzone wrote:Lost in the Dream
How many Springsteen albums will it beat?
As great as the acclaim for "Lost in the Dream" is, I don't see it breaking the top 150 on its entry into AM. So that means that the only Springsteen albums ranked higher than it will be "Born to Run", "Darkness on the Edge of Town", "Nebraska", and "Born in the U.S.A.".

Return to “EOY 2014”