Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6 - Round 1.16

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6 - Round 1.16

Post by Brad »

Finally - the last week of the first round!
Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.
And please don't be afraid to vote in match-ups that don't include your own nominations!
Comments are encouraged but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = July 6th at 10am EST.

Match-ups:
1. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach vs. Stevie Wonder - Music Of My Mind
2. Tears For Fears - Songs From the Big Chair vs. Can - Soon Over Babaluma
3. Cryoshell - Cryoshell vs. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
4. Reiko Ike - Koukotsu no Sekai vs. Silverchair - Diorama

Ten true summers we'll be there and laughing too
(RIP Chris Squire)
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6 - Round 1.16

Post by whuntva »

Plastic Beach

A nostalgic experimental album that ushered in the 2010s in style.

Cryoshell

I am aware Danish alt-metal is a VERY niche genre, but I feel giving it a good introduction was best. ALL my albums were knocked out first round, but Ill keep voting anyway. Besides, Nine Types of Light wasn't very good anyway. The albums before and after were better.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1. Stevie Wonder - Music Of My Mind is preferred over Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
2. Tears For Fears - Songs From the Big Chair is preferred over Can - Soon Over Babaluma
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach 75-74
Can - Soon Over Babaluma 79-71
TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light 82-38

(Sorry, Cryoshell just reminds me too much of bands like Linkin Park and Evanescence.)
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I haven't managed to hear Reiko Ike - Koukotsu no Sekai yet. (I wonder if it is on Apple streaming..)
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I feel like that
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

DaveC wrote:I haven't managed to hear Reiko Ike - Koukotsu no Sekai yet. (I wonder if it is on Apple streaming..)
It's on Spotify under English title You, Baby.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (2010) vs. Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind (1972)
2. Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair (1985) vs. Can - Soon Over Babaluma (1974)
3. Cryoshell - Cryoshell (2010) vs. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light (2011)
4. Reiko Ike - Koukotsu no Sekai (1971) vs. Silverchair - Diorama (2002)

Hardest decision of the week: Albarn vs. Wonder

Electropop, Soul, New Wave, Krautrock, Alternative Rock, Art Rock, Kayōkyoku and Alternative Rock.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Since the usual Spotify-playlist hasn't shown up yet, I made one. Better late than never:

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'll abstain from the fourth vote. If it ends up in a tie I'll vote Silverchair.

Hard to listen to an album where somebody is just making sex noises through the whole thing.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Poliuks wrote:
DaveC wrote:I haven't managed to hear Reiko Ike - Koukotsu no Sekai yet. (I wonder if it is on Apple streaming..)
It's on Spotify under English title You, Baby.
Thanks, I assumed that was a different album.

Silverchair do sound rather generic, but they do it quite well.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach vs. Stevie Wonder - Music Of My Mind By far, the hardest choice since the beginning. Two album I love.
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Not a terrible interesting week to close the first round, but not a particular bad one either.

Difficult. I like the variety of Gorillaz once again, but i have to go with Wonder here. I listened to Music of My Mind sometime before, but put it away as a less interesting album than the other ones Wonder was making at the time. Turns out that was a mistake. It's very good.

I'm not too fond of the typical eighties sound of Tears for Fears, but for its type it is actually pretty good, with some catchy songs. Still an easy victory for Can, whose work is more unique and awesome.

Both of these don't do much for me. Nine Types of Light has an amazing opening track and not much else that stands out. Cryoshell has no such powerhouse, but is better overall. However, I doubt I'll remember any of these two albums a year from now.

Well, I'll remember Koukotsu no Sekai for sure. Only as the album with sexual moaning, but still. It sounds like Je t'aime moi non plus brought to full album length. It's funny at first, but too silly and too repetitive to be a good album for me. Diorama is far less a novelty and more a real album and wins this, although I should say that it joins Nine Types of Light and Cryshell in being not particularly memorable for me. It seems like a summation of many albums in this game.
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

2. Can - Soon Over Babaluma
3. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

1. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

24-1/2 hours left to vote!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Everyone- I have a conflict tomorrow at 10am so results will be delayed a few hours. Feel free to vote until then!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Strong ending for the first round. Winners in red.

Plastic Beach was better than I remembered, although not nearly as consistent as Demon Days. Still, I like the weirdness of the Gorillaz better than this Stevie Wonder offering.

I've always been a fan of The Hurting more than Songs From the Big Chair, although the singles on the latter are solid. But Soon Over Babaluma bookends a remarkable four-album run from Can.

I've never understood why Nine Types of Light didn't seem to get a lot of critical respect. It's a great album.
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Brad wrote:Finally - the last week of the first round!
Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.
And please don't be afraid to vote in match-ups that don't include your own nominations!
Comments are encouraged but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = July 6th at 10am EST.

Match-ups:

Ten true summers we'll be there and laughing too
(RIP Chris Squire)
1. Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind
2. pass
I have listened to both a while ago and don't have strong memories of either. Songs From the Bigh Chair was fairly low on my 80s poll ballot but I remember it being quite ok, and Soon Over Babaluma is bar far the Can album that made the weakest impression, but it's still Can... no time to listen to both once more before the deadline unfortunately.
3. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
Sorry whuntva, I know how it feels to have all your albums kicked out on the first round (I've been quite lucky this time around), I actually stopped nominating albums from certains genres, it was too frustrating to see great hip-hop albums be eliminated by run of the mill rock albums.
Anyway, I'd have happily voted against Nine Types of Light has I don't find it any special, but I found Cryoshell pretty bad. I should be one of the AMers most likely to enjoy it, as I still have a bunch of nü metal albums in my top 100, but that one is really not good, the riffs are very repetitive, the Linkin Park style rap is terrible, the lead voice reminds me of Evanescence and Lacuna Coil and I don't want to be reminded of them... at best it's a tampered down Within Temptation, and that's not very high praise. Doesn't sound like a very niche album to be honest (I mean it's not grindcore or death metal), more of one aiming for making the cover of Kerrang and getting heavy radio rotation, but 10 years late for that.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

15 participants this week:
antonius
Brad
DaveC
Henry
Honorio
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Michel
Nassim
phil
PlasticRam
Poliuks
Rob
Romain
whuntva

1. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach over Stevie Wonder - Music Of My Mind 7-6
2. Can - Soon Over Babaluma over Tears For Fears - Songs From the Big Chair 8-5
3. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light over Cryoshell - Cryoshell 8-3
4. Silverchair - Diorama over Reiko Ike - Koukotsu 4-3

Round 2 starts real soon!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

After the first round I'm going to post a lot of stats (that I hope you find interesting):

a) RYM Rating:
When I was looking for the styles of the selections in Rateyourmusic I was surprised to see that almost every album was ranked there between 3 and 4. In fact this could be the perfect definition of "Moderately Acclaimed Album": an album with a RYM rating between 3,00 and 3,99. The mean value of our selections was 3,65. On the next graphics you can see the distribution of the RYM ratings, most of the albums were more exactly placed between 3.51 and 4.00.

Only 1 album of the 128 nominated albums was not ranked on RYM (the one by My Glorious). And only 5 albums of the other 127 were outside of the range, 4 of them got a rating higher than 4 and only one a rating lower than 3 (a scarce 2,49). Any guesses? I'll wait two or three days to give the names of these albums.

b) Year of release:
Our selection showed a very interesting distribution by decades: more centered on recent releases, with few early albums (only 5 albums from the 1960s) and a lot of albums from the XXI Century, including 22 albums from the 2010s (and we're only half way through the decade!). The mean value was 1992 and on the graphic you can see the distribution by decades.

c) Music genres:
We had here also a very interesting distribution. As everyone could expect the style more frequently selected was Rock but we had a wide representation of genres, including (alphabetically ordered) Ambient, Classical Music, Electronic, Experimental, Film Soundtrack, Folk, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Regional Music, Rock, Singer/Songwriter and Ska. I used the classification of styles published in RYM (see here). By the way, it's surprising (but refreshing) to see that maybe the best music genre classification out there comes from an amateur (user-based) site. You can see our distribution of styles on the next graphic.

If we analyse also the sub-styles, the more represented is Alternative Rock with no less than 26 albums (by the way it seems odd calling still Alternative Rock a style that includes almost every rock album released on the last 30 years other than metal). Other substyles with 3 albums or more were Contemporary Folk, Pop Rock, Soul, Country, Metal and Progressive Rock.
You can see the complete list of styles and substyles on our list here:

d) Album length:
I also have been keeping track of the albums length (like I did last year). Here there are the Top 10s of longer and shorter albums:

Longer albums:
1. Natural Snow Buildings - Shadow Kingdom (159'33")
2. Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome: The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert, June 8, 1963 (121'46")
3. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (103'40")
4. The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions (79'24")
5. D'Angelo - Voodoo (78'55")
6. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz (74'48")
7. Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark (72'34")
8. Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld (72'34")
9. The Roots - Things Fall Apart (70'13")
10. Swans - Children of God (69'55")

Shorter albums:
1. Golpes Bajos - Golpes Bajos (15'28")
2. Ólafur Arnalds - Living Room Songs (23'08")
3. Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand the Rain (27'14")
4. Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II (30'04")
5. The Adverts - Crossing the Red Sea with the Adverts (31'55")
6. Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik (32'53")
7. Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician (32'37")
8. Jane Birkin - Ex fan des sixties (32'53")
9. Djeli Moussa Diawara - Djeli Moussa Diawara (33'22")
10. The Kills - Midnight Boom (33'59")

And here's a graphic showcasing that most of the albums were between 30 and 50 minutes: the mean value was 47'49"

e) Nationality:
One of the great things about this Forum is the open-minded attitude of the participants. You only need to see the many different nationalities represented in our nominations, coming from no less than 22 different nationalities. As expected USA and UK had the main share of the cake (58 and 33 respectively). On the next two graphics you can see the most represented nations (a) and the nations with only 1 album (b). The most glaring absence was in my opinion Brazil.

And on the next graphic you can see the distribution by continents. The most surprising thing to me was Asia defeating Africa.

And there were all the stats about the nominations round. Now something about the first round…

f) Participation:
I complained on the first week of this edition that on previous editions there were more people willing to nominate albums that willing to listen other people's nominations. This time it was not an exception, with nominations coming from 24 different voters but with a maximum peak of 20 voters (on the third week). Moreover many voters only voted on selected match-ups, sometimes the ones that included their own nominations (nothing wrong with that, it's a free forum).
The only ones that voted on each and every one of the 64 match-ups were Brad, DaveC and me. Well, I should include Rob in this group, he voted on every match-up except one (because he couldn't get to listen to NPG's "Exodus"). jamieW was also on this selected group but he missed the last 2 weeks (if I remember well you are a teacher and June is not a good month for you, am I right?). And Jirin voted every week but abstained on some match-ups. And many others voted on more than half of the weeks (Kingoftonga, Maschine_Man –the one that provided the extremely useful playlists-, Nassim, phil, PlasticRam, Poliuks, Romain and whuntva).
We had a total of 27 voters with different degrees of participation. On the next graphic you can see the number of participants-per-week, the first line was the total (ranging from 13 to 20, mean value 15.5) and the second line the total of voters on the 4 match-ups per week (ranging from 6 to 14, mean value 8.1).

g) Winners:
Like I did last year, I've been keeping track of the "winners," the ones with more of their nominations passing to the next round. The first time I participated on the game (Moderately Acclaimed 4) three of my nominations came to semifinals, something that did not happened the following editions, including this one.
Oddly 2 of the Top 3 winners were not regular voters, especially the absolute winner on this first round, our beloved webmaster Henrik, with 6 of his 7 nominations passing to the second Round. Kingoftonga and TimmyWing were tied on second position, followed by Rob and Romain and with host Brad barely missing the Top 5.
And yes, none of the nominations of whuntva passed to the second round (I'm sorry about that but I should admit that I only voted for one of your nominations, Swans' "Children of God").
The table:

And finally not a statistic but a personal list. This could be the Top 10 of albums I'm going to miss the most on the Second Round (excluding my own nominations):
1. Style Council - Our Favourite Shop
2. Joni Mitchell - Hejira
3. Pepe Deluxe - Queen of the Wave
4. Ennio Morricone - The Mission
5. American Football - American Football
6. Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan
7. The Roots - Things Fall Apart
8. Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
9. Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand the Rain
10. Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
Last edited by Honorio on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

This is outstanding. Thank you Honorio... Truly awesome!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Wow my nominations got destroyed this year. Last year I think I was 6/7 or something like that. Which of my nominations made it, Brad? I haven't been paying close enough attention. :whistle:
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

^^I was completely shut out!

I dunno if I just have different taste or I didn't pick right.

Great stats Honorio! I would love if you tried something like that for Unacclaimed or something.

But I do wnat to point out My Glorious is Austrian and they weren't included in the "one Album" bit.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

It's sort of a crap shoot, and it's also dependent on luck of the draw; an album with not a lot of support can squeak by in a weak bracket, where strong albums can get shut out by forum favorites. I think last year or the year before only one of my picks moved on, so this is a nice change...

I hope people don't make picks based on what they think will move on; I like the diversity of the current set-up. Some albums are doomed to get shut out, but they can still be interesting listens. And even if my Timewind pick didn't advanced, convincing 10 others to listen to Klaus Schulze is its own reward...
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Brad wrote:This is outstanding. Thank you Honorio... Truly awesome!
whuntva wrote:Great stats Honorio! I would love if you tried something like that for Unacclaimed or something.
Many thanks, Brad and whuntva.
Of course I can do this on other threads, in fact it's almost done for the classical poll. I was planning to include Centuries, Styles (Romantic, Baroque) and Nationalities. The most difficult part is the latter because of the historical changes on the borders of many countries in Europe. For instance Beethoven was born in Bonn, now Germany but then capital of the Electorate of Cologne part of the Holy Roman Empire. So I thought including the nation where the village or city where the composer was born now takes part. But then I found out that the village where Austrian composer Gustav Mahler was born now is part of the Czech Republic. And Hungarian composer Béla Bartók was born in a village now part of Romania. So I still have to decide which approach I should take.
I could include some graphics too in the (fantastic) AM Songs Poll hosted by BleuPanda but the problem is not making the graphics but compiling the information. It was quite easy doing it for the 128 nominations of this game but it's hard to do it for 1000 songs. At least I can elaborate the stats that JimmyJazz is providing.
Listyguy wrote:Which of my nominations made it, Brad?
Traveling Wilburys' "Volume 1"
Kingoftonga wrote:I hope people don't make picks based on what they think will move on; I like the diversity of the current set-up. Some albums are doomed to get shut out, but they can still be interesting listens.
Amen to that. That's the best part of this game, to being "forced" to listen some albums that I surely won't get to listen spontaneously. And finding interesting aspects in all of them!!
whuntva wrote:But I do wnat to point out My Glorious is Austrian and they weren't included in the "one Album" bit.
Corrected, I just edited the stats. Since there was no information on Wikipedia, Rateyourmusic and Allmusic (the sources I used) I searched on the web and I found (incorrect) information that located them on the UK. Now I checked it again and I found information on the Deutsch Wikipedia that confirms they are Austrians. Sorry.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Honorio wrote:
Listyguy wrote:Which of my nominations made it, Brad?
Traveling Wilburys' "Volume 1"
I actually forgot I nominated that :?
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Amazing information, Honorio! Hey, do you think it would be asking too much if I ask you to show us a comparison between the nationality of the albums in the first round and those who passed to the second? That would be more than great. Whatever the answer, thank you very much. Your graphics are awesome.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

You are a crazy man Honorio.

And I like that ! It's a very pleasant surprise to see these stats.

And for the albums rank higher than 4 : Stevie Wonder for sure is one of them. And maybe "My Morning Jacket" and "Gorillaz".
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

I think you might have successfully guilt-tripped me into voting properly from now on... :?
It is perhaps unfair that I should pop in just to see "my precious" nominations get through, since they mean so much to me, but other people could feel the same about theirs and they wouldn't have gotten through!

So, to express my gratitude for so many of my nominations doing so, I'm gonna try my best to listen to every album in the second round and vote regularly from now on. :-)

Galaxie 500 - On Fire vs. Kate Bush - The Dreaming is kind of devastating... I mean, I know which one I'll vote for, but it could go either way...
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Kingoftonga wrote: I hope people don't make picks based on what they think will move on; I like the diversity of the current set-up.
I also think this can't be stressed enough. Nobody is going to like all the albums included, but diversity is key to the appeal of this game. If you're afraid people won't like an album, still give it a chance. I like to be put out of my comfort zone here, even if it means I sometimes have to sit through an album I can't stand. As it is now I like the mix of albums that are right up my alley, pleasant surprises, interesting oddities and the occasional album that doesn't work for me.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Blanco wrote:Hey, do you think it would be asking too much if I ask you to show us a comparison between the nationality of the albums in the first round and those who passed to the second?
Of course, Blanco. As you can see USA performance was not too good (from 58 to 24 albums) compared with UK (32 to 20 albums). And we still have 15 different nationalities on the second round.

TimmyWing wrote:So, to express my gratitude for so many of my nominations doing so, I'm gonna try my best to listen to every album in the second round and vote regularly from now on. :-)
That's fantastic! I'm sure you will enjoy the trip. There are great albums on this second round…
Rob wrote:I like the mix of albums that are right up my alley, pleasant surprises, interesting oddities and the occasional album that doesn't work for me.
You hit the nail, that's an exact description of how I feel too about the whole list.
Romain wrote:And for the albums rank higher than 4 : Stevie Wonder for sure is one of them. And maybe "My Morning Jacket" and "Gorillaz".
Nope, none of them. I'm going to give a clue: "RYM users like prog".
And no guesses for the lowest ranked album? The one with a rating of 2.49… A clue: it was rated by 1133 users, so it may be a popular album.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Honorio wrote:
Romain wrote:And for the albums rank higher than 4 : Stevie Wonder for sure is one of them. And maybe "My Morning Jacket" and "Gorillaz".
And no guesses for the lowest ranked album? The one with a rating of 2.49… A clue: it was rated by 1133 users, so it may be a popular album.
Yes, this prog oriented RYM site is incredible. I don't have any idea wich albums can have more than 4 stars now.

Honorio, I just count four French album in the original list. Where is the fifth? (Noir Désir, Jacques Higelin, Jane Birkin, Lafayette Afro Rock Band and...)
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

Romain wrote:
Honorio wrote:
Yes, this prog oriented RYM site is incredible. I don't have any idea wich albums can have more than 4 stars now.

Honorio, I just count four French album in the original list. Where is the fifth? (Noir Désir, Jacques Higelin, Jane Birkin, Lafayette Afro Rock Band and...)
Natural Snow Buildings are from France (despite singing in English).
Two albums with average rating >4 must be Meddle and Selling England by the Pound, others I'm not sure about.

EDIT: Ah, 2.49 album is surely Back to Bedlam.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Poliuks wrote:Natural Snow Buildings are from France (despite singing in English).
Two albums with average rating >4 must be Meddle and Selling England by the Pound, others I'm not sure about.
EDIT: Ah, 2.49 album is surely Back to Bedlam.
Exactly, Poliuks, 100% of correct answers:
- Natural Snow Buildings are from France.
- "Meddle" and "Selling England by the Pound" are two of the 4 albums with a RYM higher than 4 (4.01 the former and 4.08 the latter).
- "Back to Bedlam" was the 2.49 album, exactly.
Clues for the other two albums:
- One of them is named after a Greek meal.
- The other one (the one with the higher rating) is only "moderately" acclaimed mostly because of its release date.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Poliuks wrote: Natural Snow Buildings are from France (despite singing in English).
Thanks Poliuks, I don't know this.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Honorio wrote:- One of them is named after a Greek meal.
Souvlaki!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Honorio wrote:- The other one (the one with the higher rating) is only "moderately" acclaimed mostly because of its release date.
SMILE Sessions?
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Brad wrote:Souvlaki!
Brad wrote:SMILE Sessions?
Exactly, Brad!!!

Those were the big four:
1. The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions (RYM rating 4.30, #87 of all-time according to RYM)
2. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (rating 4.08, #115 all-time)
3. Slowdive - Souvlaki (rating 4.07, #112 all-time)
4. Pink Floyd - Meddle (rating 4.01, #83 all-time)
Note: I just noticed that RYM all-time list is not ordered by rankings alone, probably their formula includes the total number of ratings too.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Honorio wrote:And we stll have 15 different nationalities on the second round.
Thanks, man! Hopefully the variety of nationalities will continue.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”