R.I.P. George Martin (1926-2016)

Setherex
Movin' On Up

R.I.P. George Martin (1926-2016)

Post by Setherex »

Sir George Martin, the iconic producer best known for his work with the Beatles, has died. Ringo Starr confirmed the news on Twitter. He was 90.

Martin, often called "the Fifth Beatle," gave the Beatles their first recording contract and produced virtually all of their music (aside from the work Phil Spector did on Let It Be). He was born in London in 1926, and after leaving the Navy in 1947, he studied piano and oboe. In the 1950s, he recorded jazz, lounge, and comedy records for Parlophone, where he eventually became head of A&R.

He was a prolific producer beyond his work with the Beatles, helming records by Kate Bush, Jeff Beck, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, America, Billy J. Kramer, Cheap Trick, the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Celine Dion, the Action, and solo efforts by Starr and Paul McCartney. He produced Elton John's 1997 single "Candle in the Wind," which is one of the best-selling songs of all time. He won several Grammy Awards over the years and was nominated for an Oscar for his work on A Hard Day's Night. He was knighted in 1996.
http://pitchfork.com/news/64025-george- ... -has-died/
Last edited by Setherex on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Re: R.I.P. George Martin (1926-2016)

Post by luney6 »

R.I.P.

So many musicians have died this year.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

And I'm afraid many more will die this year (it's still March!). 2016 is a scary year.

George Martin rightly deserves the unofficial "Fifth Beatle" title. Not Billy Preston, not Brian Epstein, not Pete Best.
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Martin is underrated compared to the four members of the Beatles. A true genius. Rest in peace.
I feel like that
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I didn't realize Martin was that much older than the Beatles. Rest in peace.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Setherex, did you choose A Day in the Life out of all the Beatles just to annoy me?

But no, George Martin was one of the groundbreaking pioneers of rock music. Would Tomorrow Never Knows or Strawberry Fields Forever be the same without him? No.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

babydoll wrote:Setherex, did you choose A Day in the Life out of all the Beatles just to annoy me?

But no, George Martin was one of the groundbreaking pioneers of rock music. Would Tomorrow Never Knows or Strawberry Fields Forever be the same without him? No.
I don't think any Beatles music would be the same without him. He was their producer and their arranger. As he matured, so did the Beatles music. The four Beatles would have some seriously amateur songs, if not for his ability to put convert their ideas into respectable music.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

babydoll wrote:Setherex, did you choose A Day in the Life out of all the Beatles just to annoy me?
:whistle:

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”