AMF Chart Week 11 2016

Vote for up to 10 of your favorite songs!

Poll ended at Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 am

Azealia Banks - "The Big Big Beat"
2%
case/lang/veirs - "Atomic Number"
6%
Courtney Barnett - "Three Packs a Day"
6%
Daughter - "Alone / With You"
4%
David Bowie - "Lazarus"
9%
Grimes - "Artangels"
7%
Gwen Stefani - "Make Me Like You"
1%
Kanye West - "Ultralight Beam"
6%
The Kills - "Doing It to Death"
4%
KING - "The Greatest"
4%
Lana Del Rey - "Music to Watch Boys To"
4%
M83 - "Do It, Try It"
5%
MaidaVale - "Standby Swing"
3%
Mitski - "Your Best American Girl"
4%
PJ Harvey - "The Community of Hope"
4%
PJ Harvey - "The Wheel"
9%
Promise and the Monster - "Time of the Season"
3%
Radiohead - "Spectre"
5%
Savages - "Adore"
8%
Suede - "Outsiders"
7%

Total votes: 137

Setherex
Movin' On Up

AMF Chart Week 11 2016

Post by Setherex »

Welcome to Week 11 of the AMF Chart! The chart where a changing of the rules has, maybe, possibly, stirred up the charts a bit?

Here are your rankings for Week 10 (number of weeks on the chart so far in parentheses):
1. PJ Harvey - "The Wheel" (7)
2. David Bowie - "Lazarus" (9)
3. Courtney Bartnett - "Three Packs a Day" (4)
4. Savages - "Adore" (9)
5. Grimes - "Artangels" (6)
6. Radiohead - "Spectre" (9)
7. Kanye West - "Ultralight Beam" (3)
8. Mitski - "Your Best American Girl" (1)
9. case/lang/veirs - "Atomic Number" (1)
10. KING - "The Greatest" (1)
11. FKA twigs - "Good to Love" (2)
11. School of Seven Bells - "Open Your Eyes" (2)
13. Emma Pollock - "Cannot Keep a Secret" (1)
13. Pinkshinyultrablast - "The Cherry Pit" (1)
13. Sturgill Simpson - "Brace for Impact (Live a Little)" (1)
16. Lush - "Out of Control" (2)
17. Pinegrove - "Old Friends" (1)
17. yudachi - "(die staadt) norm" (1)
19. Kevin Gates - "2 Phones" (1)
19. Kristin Kontrol - "X-Communicate" (1)
Total Votes: 147

The top 10 songs from last week's chart went through to this week's. So for the first week under our new 10-vote per week rule, it seems to me, and please correct me if I'm wrong... there isn't much of a big shift on the charts this week. I do say, the high spread of votes throughout all the songs is very refreshing - rather than 0 votes for the last place song or two, both still received a couple supporters. And so, as three very solid songs leave the chart, and three very solid songs enter, it remains to be seen what will come of our 2016 refresher. Next week, regardless, should be a big one, though. :music-guitarred:

2016 Chart-Toppers by Week (by vote count, not chart position; total weeks atop chart in parentheses):
1. David Bowie - "Blackstar" (2)
2. David Bowie - "Blackstar" (3)
3. David Bowie - "Blackstar" (4)
4. David Bowie - "Blackstar" (5)
5. PJ Harvey - "The Wheel"
6. PJ Harvey - "The Wheel" (2)
7. PJ Harvey - "The Wheel" (3)
8. David Bowie - "Lazarus"
9. David Bowie - "Lazarus" (2)
10. PJ Harvey - "The Wheel" (4)

2016 Hall of Fame (10 weeks of advancing votes; automatically retired from chart):
None so far...

Here is this week's 17-song Spotify chart (with 2 songs included below via YouTube link, and 1 via external link):

Kanye West - "Ultralight Beam" (streaming on Tidal)
Here is your 2016 AMF Chart playlist of all songs on the chart so far this year:

Thank you all for voting and nominating continuously every week! Please don't be afraid to supply us with nominations - all songs six months old and younger (or who have received promotion via album/video/single in the last six months) are accepted! And seconding nominations by others gives those songs a better chance at making the next poll!

As per usual, the next poll will be created as close to Sunday at 19:00 UTC as I can make it. Best of voting! :D
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Re: AMF Chart Week 11 2016

Post by Otisredding »

My nomination

Highlights from MCCH (I think these songs have not gone through AMF Chart)

Chairlift - Moth to the Flame
DIIV - Dopamine
King - The Right One
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Eurovision Song Contest time again! Here in Sweden we have just chosen our contestant in our "Melodifestivalen". There has been a discussion that the classic schlager no longer has any chance in Melodifestivalen. It has been replaced by modern styles. All the artists in the final were very young. The songs are more based on rhythm than melody. The best example of this is the winner, which also was my favorite, so I nominate

Frans - If I Were Sorry

We'll have to see if it will do well in the Eurovision Song Contest. With a bit of Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran I think will score high in western European countries, but I'm not sure about eastern Europe.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Henrik wrote:Eurovision Song Contest time again!
Jeeez ! already ????
France will once again fail miserably, but then again, it really doesn't matter :) I think of the Eurovision song contest as a musical, international Intervilles. Pretty sure that only my Francophile forumers will understand me :)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Annnd my nominations are....

SEXWITCH - Helelyos - TOY pair up with Natasha Khan from Bat for Lashes to deliver a brilliant krautrock laden track, almost tribal.

Cavern of Anti-Matter : Melody in High Feedback Tones - ATTENTION ALL STEREOLAB FANS (of which I am a huge one, having met them, invited them to play for their first French gig and followed them throughout their career) - this is the new record from Tim Gane and Joe Dilworth. More Krautrock-influenced muzak.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

I nominate David Bowie's Girl Loves Me.
I also nominate Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman. I was surprised by how fresh it sounds compared to The Way or Break Free. It's actually really good, so I wouldn't dismiss it as a song from the second coming of Mariah Carey.

I would love to second the nomination for King's The Right One (even though it probably wouldn't do well with The Greatest already in the charts) and Chairlift's Moth to the Flame.

I also would like to re-nominate Anderson .Paak's The Seasons | Carry Me.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Nominating

Wussy - Donny's Death Scene
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Henrik wrote:Eurovision Song Contest time again!
Otisredding wrote:DIIV - Dopamine
Also, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think this song has already been entered on our Chart? It would have been sometime in 2015. But I can't exactly remember. I'll give you a definitive answer when I get back to my computer tonight. :D
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Here in this forum we love our polls, to vote between songs, so if all great artists wanted to represent their countries, then the Eurovision Song Contest would be amazing, right? It's too bad that's not the case. But it's sad that a lot of people think that an ESC song is bad by default. I used to hate Melodifestivalen/ESC too, but I enjoy it more and more. Mostly because the music gets better and better. Since 2012 I think I have a couple of songs from the shows among my top 100 songs from each year.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Henrik wrote:Here in this forum we love our polls, to vote between songs, so if all great artists wanted to represent their countries, then the Eurovision Song Contest would be amazing, right? It's too bad that's not the case. But it's sad that a lot of people think that an ESC song is bad by default. I used to hate Melodifestivalen/ESC too, but I enjoy it more and more. Mostly because the music gets better and better. Since 2012 I think I have a couple of songs from the shows among my top 100 songs from each year.
Maybe not top 100, but I, too, find a handful of hidden gems throughout the ESC every year. Rarely any that 'wow' or seriously impress me - it hasn't been that way for several, several years - but some that I'll put on rotation for the next few months.

And then the majority of them, which I find a hardship in getting through. Of course the ESC is a wonderful opportunity for artists. But the completionist in me feels disrespectful unless I listen to every entry every year. And let me tell you, Henrik, that isn't a pleasant endeavor :angry-nono:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Setherex, where are you from? I used to think that you are from the US.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Henrik wrote:Setherex, where are you from? I used to think that you are from the US.
I am indeed, California-born and raised. Residing over in Los Angeles now. Not much of a 'thriving music scene' here -trending L.A. music is just trending music in America currently.

But I like to stay on top of worldly things. Can't be xenophobic when it comes to culture, you lose out on too much :D
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I vote for 8 songs this week. The best surprise is MaidaVale. Thanks.
I nominate for this week :
Bachar Mar-Khalifé - Kyrie Eleison
The Last Shadow Puppets - Everything You've Come To Expect
Captain Kid - Sun One

P.S. : Spiritualized, vive les vachettes !
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Hey Setherex, I'm hoping that an outtake that might be almost 40 years old, but never released until now, might qualify for a nomination. If so: Bruce Springsteen - 'Meet Me In The City'.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Rdwdbob wrote:Hey Setherex, I'm hoping that an outtake that might be almost 40 years old, but never released until now, might qualify for a nomination. If so: Bruce Springsteen - 'Meet Me In The City'.
Perfectly fine on my end. We go by release dates in these parts. ;)

And just confirming for OtisRedding, DIIV's "Dopamine" was indeed a Charter in 2015.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Oh, dear heavens. I just realized from looking back at the forum charts that my re-nomination of The Seasons | Carry Me is actually invalid. The reason? It never appeared on the charts before. Somehow I got it confused with The Waters. So I postpone my nomination to next week.
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

Romain wrote:I nominate for this week :
Big big second for this nomination.

Should have seconded this last week, but I nominate "Drone Bomb Me" by ANOHNI, as well as:
Kendrick Lamar - "untitled 02"
Santigold - "Rendezvous Girl"
tombeet
Strange Fruit

Post by tombeet »

My nominations for this week:
Esperanza Spalding - Earth to Heaven
Frankie Cosmos - On the Lips
BABYMETAL - Karate

and my third vote for The Last Shadow Puppets as well
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

TimmyWing wrote:
Romain wrote:I nominate for this week :
Big big second for this nomination.

Should have seconded this last week, but I nominate "Drone Bomb Me" by ANOHNI, as well as:
Kendrick Lamar - "untitled 02"
Santigold - "Rendezvous Girl"
And I seconded "Drone Bomb Me" by ANOHNI. ;)
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

babydoll wrote:I also nominate Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman. I was surprised by how fresh it sounds compared to The Way or Break Free. It's actually really good, so I wouldn't dismiss it as a song from the second coming of Mariah Carey.
Always a pleasure to second a truly great pop song.

My weekly reminder to get your votes, nominations, and seconding nominations in before the new poll tomorrow. My noms for the week:

Kamaiyah - "How Does It Feel"
Terrace Martin feat. Kamasi Washington & Rosegold - "Think of You"
Margo Price - "Hands of Time"

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”