Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Drummers

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Drummers

Post by Listyguy »

So Rolling Stone finally put out a list of the greatest drummers. I haven't looked through the whole thing yet, but I'd say having Bonzo and Keith Moon at the top is a pretty reasonable list (as far as rock drummers go), and I was glad to see Mitch Mitchell in the top 10.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... m-20160329
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Drummers

Post by babydoll »

Presumably they did one a long time ago or something, because I kept seeing "Rolling Stone made Ringo Starr #5 on their list of all-time drummers."
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

I mean, all of us here with correct musical opinions agree that Charlie Watts is a better drummer than John Bonham, right? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Setherex on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

babydoll wrote:Presumably they did one a long time ago or something, because I kept seeing "Rolling Stone made Ringo Starr #5 on their list of all-time drummers."
I think that was a reader's poll. That list also had Dave Grohl at #4.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Listyguy wrote:
babydoll wrote:Presumably they did one a long time ago or something, because I kept seeing "Rolling Stone made Ringo Starr #5 on their list of all-time drummers."
I think that was a reader's poll. That list also had Dave Grohl at #4.
Proof it was a readers' poll.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I should admit that this is a very very nice list. It's a quite balanced list, picking on different styles and not only relying on technical proficiency but also in the ability of generating an original sound. Some missteps include maybe too high positions for drummers whose main merit (IMO) was to be in a great band and not their own abilities as drummers (Charlie Watts, Ringo Starr or Levon Helm for instance). Well, it's Rolling Stone after all (even if I acknowledge again that the list is very good). My Top 3 would have been 1º Bill Bruford 2º Stewart Copeland and 3º Tony Allen.

But let me include a Top 10 of glaring omissions (well, at least the Top 5, the rest are personal favourites):

1. OMAR HAKIM
An astonishing and versatile session drummer, equally apt for Jazz, Funk or Rock. You can listen to him backing David Bowie, Madonna, Daft Punk, Dire Straits or Miles Davis and as member of Weather Report.
Recommended listening: Daft Punk – Giorgio by Moroder (2013)

2. MAX ROACH
A history-making Jazz drummer, part of the mythical "Quintet" and featured as side-man on legendary albums like "Study in Brown," "Brilliant Corners," "Saxophone Colossus" and as leader on the amazing "We Insist!".
Recommended listening: Max Roach – Triptych: Prayer, Protest, Peace (1960)

3. JAKI LIEBEZEIT
Creator of the "Motorik beat," quoting Wikipedia he's "best known for his exceptional "metronome" style of playing; other members of Can have suggested that he sounds as though he is "half-man, half machine"."
Recommended listening: Can – Halleluhwah (1971)

4. ART BLAKEY
Another legendary Jazz drummer, founder of the Jazz Messengers, it was called 'Thunder' by his peers, "perhaps the best at maintaining independence with all four limbs" according to Max Roach.
Recommended listening: Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – The Freedom Rider (1961)

5. PHIL SELWAY
A quite underrated drummer despite his intricate drum patterns for Radiohead (you can check some of them here) in songs like "15 Steps," "I Might be Wrong," "Paranoid Android" or (my favourite)…
Recommended listening: Radiohead – Pyramid Song (2001)

6. STEVE JANSEN
Another underrated drummer, brother of David Sylvian, just listen to his tribal drumming on Japan – Visions of China (1981) from 2:17 to 2:35

7. DENNIS DAVIS
The "precise, funky and yet experimental drumming style" of Davis was a capital part of Bowie's sound from 1975 to 1980, listen to David Bowie – Breaking Glass (1977)

8. ANTONIO SÁNCHEZ
A Mexican Jazz drummer mainly known for his brilliant almost-only-drums score for "Birdman," you can listen to Antonio Sánchez – Doors and Distance (2014)

9. DAVID LOVERING
Simple but effective, his style perfectly fitted the jarring pop sound of his band, listen to his manic drumming on Pixies – Bone Machine (1988)

10. ERIC JIMÉNEZ
Closing the list with a Spanish drummer, member of Lagartija Nick and Los Planetas, you can listen to him integrating Flamenco and Rock influenced by the Andalusian sacred processions on Morente & Lagartija Nick – Omega (1996)
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Surely The Rolling Stones' greatest drummer is Charlie Watts ... ;-)
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Honorio wrote: Some misteps include maybe too high positions for drummers whose main merit (IMO) was to be in a great band and not their own abilities as drummers (Charlie Watts, Ringo Starr or Levon Helm for instance).
You did that on purpose. :angry-cussingblack:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Although everyone and their great grandma loves Radiohead, Phil Selway is totally underrated as a drummer. The percussion on "In Rainbows" is one of my favorite things about that album.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Nick wrote:Although everyone and their great grandma loves Radiohead, Phil Selway is totally underrated as a drummer. The percussion on "In Rainbows" is one of my favorite things about that album.
I agree with Nick
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Setherex wrote:I mean, all of us here with correct musical opinions agree that Charlie Watts is a better drummer than John Bonham, right? :mrgreen:
Agreed. :D

Here is an interesting and (at times) funny discussion I found on another forum (entertaining if nothing else). At least couple of the guys on there are drummers, while a few are guitarists: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/arc ... 71345.html

I quite like the Rolling Stone list though. Kind of interesting to see Christian Vader on there. Glad to see John French and Moe Tucker on there. I think that he is one of the most original and accomplished drummers to have existed. :mrgreen:

It's a pity though, that Mike Giles and Jaki Liebezeit are not on there. They are two of my favorite drummers. In fact, I think that only Halleluwah is a big reason as to why Jaki should be on that list. :music-listening:
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Nick wrote:Although everyone and their great grandma loves Radiohead, Phil Selway is totally underrated as a drummer. The percussion on "In Rainbows" is one of my favorite things about that album.
I kind of agree, but didn't Radiohead use drum machines on that album?
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

No Carl Palmer on the list. These people do not know what a good drummer is.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Zombeels wrote:No Carl Palmer on the list. These people do not know what a good drummer is.
It's not based on a technical sense. Basically, it's based on which band they were in and how well known they are. :scared-shocked:
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Nice to see Brian Chippendale and Janet Weiss, even ranked low. Lightning Bolt especially isn't exactly in Rolling Stones' usual alley.

Surprised that Jimmy Chamberlain isn't top 50 (Geek U.S.A. is one of the best prove of drums proficiency ever put on tape) and Dave Grohl isn't top 20.

All in all I like treble's list better. One of the many reasons if the inclusion of one of my favorite, Modest Mouse's Jeremiah Green. There are a lot of incredible drum moments in The Lonesome Crowded West, Doing the Cockroach is especially an incredibly cathartic moment of crazy drumming. Styrofoam Boots/It's All Nice on Ice is fantastic too.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Chamberlain really should be higher.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”