BleuPanda
Higher Ground

R.I.P. Prince (1958-2016)

Post by BleuPanda »

Harold
Into the Groove

Re: R.I.P. Prince (1958-2016)

Post by Harold »

TMZ reported it first ... I was hoping against hope that they were wrong and that the reported fatality at his estate might be someone else. But given that medical emergency he suffered last week I'm afraid it's true. Really, really shocking.

Can we have a do-over on 2016, please?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Dammit, first Bowie, now Prince... This year sucks in terms of music deaths!

57?!? God knows who will go next, the year is still early, crossing my fingers...
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. This is terrible. I knew he was sick but he performed right after that. RIP. This year has sucked.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Why? Just why? I still haven't recovered from David Bowie's death. Parade, Purple Rain, Sign 'O' the Times, and 1999 is getting replayed a lot for the next month.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I can't believe it...and only 57...what the fuck man.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

This is terrible. Really really terrible. Prince and Bowie are two of my absolute favorites. Artistic idols, even.

Really feeling for Moonbeam right now, too. I know he hasn't posted in a while. I hope he's okay.
Greg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Greg »

My first thought upon hearing this was "Oh god, Moonbeam..." :(
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Nick wrote:Really feeling for Moonbeam right now, too. I know he hasn't posted in a while. I hope he's okay.
Greg wrote:My first thought upon hearing this was "Oh god, Moonbeam..." :(
Yes that's what I thought first too...
It's 4 in the morning in Sydney so he probably hasn't read the news yet... Heck, actually reminds me of the day I woke up in Sydney to a text message for a friend telling me "sorry man" and realised MCA had died, I really sympathize with him... His facebook wall is being flooded right now actually, we're not the only one who made the connection.
(On an unrelated he seems to be enjoying the father's life quite a lot recently, so the most important things are going pretty fine)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Jesus, Moonbeam is not going to be okay. I was not okay after David Bowie's death and I am not okay right now. God bless him.

(I was a lurker here for a seriously long time.)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Yeah I remember Moonbeam. Wonder what happened to him but man this will hit him hard.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I hold many of the same sentiments as you all with regards to Moonbeam. My immediate reaction was to think of him.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

What the F, man. Bewildering. We don't even quite know what happened. I guess just some freak occurrence. Prince was one of those handful of musicians where I committed to listening to so many of his records, whole decades, the ups, the downs, the whatever.

Prince's first manager on CNN: "I will make one statement: Posthumuously... the body of work that Prince will leave for all of us, it's yet to be discovered at this point, and I think it's going to be phenomenal for years and years to come."
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

From what he messaged me when he helped with Album Ranker, Moonbeam is a college professor. I can understand his business.

I hope he's not too distraught.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Noooooooo !
Merde merde merde, no no no Bowie and Prince, shit, it's not possible. My two last heroes on music are dead.
The music will not be the same now, it was the last artist that I am still waiting music with childish impatience.

His last album was excellent, too bad....I will dance with "Big City" again and again.
Thanks you Prince for all your music and the wonderful moments you give too us.

Moonbeam, I think of you too.

Really, sometimes it snows in april ! It's a cold cold day.
Last edited by Romain on Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I'm speechless. Together with Bob Marley, David Bowie and Prince are my favorite solo artists. Suddenly all of them are dead.........
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Henrik wrote:I'm speechless. Together with Bob Marley, David Bowie and Prince are my favorite solo artists. Suddenly all of them are dead.........
Didn't know that about you Henrik that those were your 3 favorites. That's awesome. :music-rockon:
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Yes Henrik, it's hard...mine were Bowie/Prince/Gainsbourg/Brassens well above the other artists...all dead... that feeling that your world, once solid, collapses gradually.
Last edited by Romain on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

It's just so surreal. The year started with the announcement that my favorite band was getting back together, and then a revolutionary new album from Bowie came out that same week. I thought this would be a year of rebirths, not death.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

BleuPanda wrote:It's just so surreal. The year started with the announcement that my favorite band was getting back together, and then a revolutionary new album from Bowie came out that same week. I thought this would be a year of rebirths, not death.
Which band was that?
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Where I live, it actually HAS snowed this April. Why, oh why did I not take that as a sign?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

luney6 wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:It's just so surreal. The year started with the announcement that my favorite band was getting back together, and then a revolutionary new album from Bowie came out that same week. I thought this would be a year of rebirths, not death.
Which band was that?

LCD Soundsystem
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I have to admit that I don't really feel that much sadness when old legends, who haven't recorded in years, pass away.

But this year is different. Both Bowie and Prince still seemed so vital!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

This year, A House's song "Endless Art" seems very fitting.

All Dead, Yet Still Alive in Endless Time, In Endless Art

Give it a spin, you may realise your favorite artists are still very much alive...although the song does need a bit of an update for 2016...
Last edited by spiritualized on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Henrik wrote:I have to admit that I don't really feel that much sadness when old legends, who haven't recorded in years, pass away.

That's the hard part, especially with Bowie. Literally only two days after dropping an album. It wasn't just an unexpected death, but the death of someone I was paying close attention to in the moment for other, happier reasons. I even had a listening party with friends on the eve of his death without realizing.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Henrik wrote:I have to admit that I don't really feel that much sadness when old legends, who haven't recorded in years, pass away.

I see your point. I got sad at the deaths of artists that I grew up on. Bowie's death probably didn't hit me as hard as most others only because I started really getting into his music in the last couple of years, which I'm so glad I did but death's like Prince, MJ, Cobain, Biggie, Pac, Eazy E and some others were just so shocking not only in how they died but those were artists that were directly in my teens, 20s, and 30s of my life where I was listening heavily to their music. Like those artists that died, I can't believe Prince is gone today.

The one that will probably hit me more than any of these will be Stevie Wonder. The point you make about legends not recording in years applies to him because he hasn't released an album in a longggggg time. He still does shows and concerts and tributes and stuff like that so he's not totally out of the picture. But he is my all time favorite and it will be tough when that day comes. Hopefully we get some more music from him soon.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

I recall saying Bowie's death was the most affecting celebrity death of my lifetime. Couldn't have imagined the shock would be matched just a few months later.

All I feel are chills.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm reminded of when I found out Bowie died. I was just having a conversation with my girlfriend and her parents about Bowie the night before. I was singing the praises of "Blackstar" and we were all talking about seeing him live sometime. Then I woke up the next morning to a facebook message from my girlfriend telling me that he died.

Or when I found out that Michael Jackson died. It was the day of my senior prom and I had been busy all day so I hadn't heard anything. The DJ even played a Michael Jackson tribute mashup of a bunch of his songs, which I gleefully danced to without realizing he was dead. When I got home, very very late that night, I found a note from my brother on the front door saying that he died. That's how big of a deal it was to us. That my brother had to leave a note telling me about his death.

I'm just glad that I've had the chance to see Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan live. I was lucky enough to catch them, but the next generation of Paul and Dylan fans won't be. If you have the chance to see any aging musician you love live, do it. Prince was 57 and he died. Your favorite 80 year old rocker won't live forever.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

It has been a miserable year for the deaths of legendary musicians, but this one hits me the hardest personally. I grew up with Prince, and "Purple Rain" was one of the first cassette tapes (remember those?) I ever bought when I was 13. I then went out and bought "1999," which I liked nearly as much. I've been very, very sad since I heard the news earlier today.

Like many others, my first thought was of Moonbeam, and how much I miss his participation on AM. I'm hoping at some point he will post a tribute to Prince in the forum. Moonbeam is such a gifted writer, with a wonderful way with words, and I can't imagine a better person to pay tribute to an incredible artist who left us far too soon.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Nick wrote:I'm just glad that I've had the chance to see Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan live. I was lucky enough to catch them, but the next generation of Paul and Dylan fans won't be. If you have the chance to see any aging musician you love live, do it. Prince was 57 and he died. Your favorite 80 year old rocker won't live forever.
Yeah, I'm so happy I've had a chance to see Bob Dylan, and I'm seeing Brian Wilson this summer.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Losing two all-time top 10 pop artists in the same year, both at relatively low ages, is hard to believe. Prince and Bowie are two legends who I think music fans will still be talking about 50 years from now. Both were pop culture icons with many chart topping hits without making any artistic sacrifices along the way. There aren't many people ever who have been like that.

As to the point of seeing your favorite artists while you still can, I should probably go online and get those Bob Dylan tickets for this summer now.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

That's it. Sometimes It Snows in April is just too heartbreaking to listen so soon after the news of his death. Damn it, I promised myself I wouldn't cry.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Absolutely shattered. I can't even really process this right now. I can say that I can count the number of people in my life whose death would mean more than Prince's on one hand. Maybe that says something about me, but it's the truth.

Although I have been largely absent from this forum, this is the first place I came to look after taking a few hours with my family to grieve. This is such a great community, and I appreciate all of the moving posts about Prince and the kind messages to me. I don't know if I'm quite up for a full tribute other than to say that a very large part of who I am is due to Prince. I felt like an outsider for a long time as a kid in a fairly small town. Although I had a lot of happy memories, a great deal of my childhood and adolescence made me feel like a bit of a freak (in hindsight I'm sure many feel this way). In Prince, I found someone who I could champion, and in no small part through his music and his messages I developed my personal view of the world, spirituality, and confidence. If this 5'3" biracial enigma could kick so much ass while wearing bikini briefs and heels and not let the world beat it out of him, then so could I. There was literally one person in my grade of 400+ students who also was brave enough to identify as a Prince fan - most others disliked him and tried to make me feel foolish for liking him. This led me to look for other Prince fans online, first at prince.org, but also elsewhere (including this place). And it was in this online world of fellow purple freaks that I found the love of my life, who happened to live in Australia. 4 years later, I moved to Australia and got married, and since that time, I started and completed a PhD, got a job as a full-time lecturer, and had a son. Without Prince, I would have none of these things, and I probably would not be on this forum.

My poor wife found out the news at around 3:30 am and had to bear the grief until I woke at 4:40 and I insisted she tell me what was wrong. She wanted to let me sleep, because somehow, I have to get on a plane today for a 24-hour trip to Helsinki for a research visit. When my son woke up and I picked him up, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that the best way to honor Prince would be to love my wife and son, the best of the many gifts he has given me. I'm supposed to leave in 2 hours for this journey, but all I want to do is hold them.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I was lucky enough to see Prince twice a couple months ago, and they were contenders for the best shows I've ever seen. This post I made on Facebook afterward will have to do for a tribute for now.

Prince - Piano and a Microphone

Before I get into details of the show, I thought I’d provide a little background. I took a few years of piano lessons when I was young – I really enjoyed learning to play songs (and even dabbling in some awful compositions named after various other interests, as one particular concoction called “Mali/Gabon/Cameroon” will attest). I gave it up after it became a competitive endeavor – I never viewed piano playing in a competitive light, so performing and being graded at recitals didn’t really feel right, so I stopped at around age 11.

Concurrent with that time period, I started paying close attention to popular music in 1989, mostly through MTV. That was also the year that I became a fan of Prince, and quickly learned to love all of his classic albums thanks to Nathan’s rapidly growing CD collection and my not-as-rapidly growing tape collection. My experience with piano had a role to play in shaping my taste, as I would attempt to adapt my favorite songs to the piano, either through purchased sheet music or through approximation by ear. It’s no surprise that my favorite Madonna song was the piano heavy “Oh Father”, and a combination of my affinity for piano and love of video games made synth pop a personal gold mine. Hence I worked through classics like “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” note by note.

Prince was especially ripe for the picking, so through the years I picked up several of his songs across different styles. The funk of “Controversy”, the lilting beauty of “Noon Rendezvous” and “Moonbeam Levels”, and the dramatic flair of “Anna Stesia” were all fair game, and I performed the latter at the International Dinner at Valparaiso University in 2001. Through the years, piano offered both an escape from academic and personal stresses in my life and a conduit to work through emotions – I played an adaptation of George Winston’s adaption of the Pachelbel Kanon at my dad’s funeral and a version of Winston’s “Some Children See Him” at my grandmother’s. So while Prince has rightly earned his place as a guitar god to many (including me), he has also been a piano/synth maestro for me. And as the acoustic guitar driven The Truth is lionized as a rare, no-frills offering, the piano-helmed One Nite Alone is the album I turn to when I’m in the mood for solitary introspection.

I should also say that it has been a little while since I have been fully in the Prince loop. I keep a casual eye on what is going on, and had kept up with purchasing CDs (I really liked Art Official Age), but a combination of not having as much time and Prince’s increasing insistence on what Aaron perfectly called a whack-a-mole strategy to distributing his music has meant that I have not been the superfan of yore greedily seeking out every purple morsel. Nonetheless, I was all ears when I heard that he was going to perform two shows at Paisley Park with just a piano and microphone. Reviews that gushed about how personal and even vulnerable these shows were made perfect sense to me given my own experiences with piano – there is something about an instrument that is so grandiose, that requires its companion to remain seated, and that is usually played alone which makes for a perfect recipe for bringing inner reflections to life across a canvass of 88 keys.

When he made the surprise announcement that he would bring this show to Australia, Tracy and I knew we had to try our best to witness it. We were lucky enough to grab tickets to two shows amidst the maelstrom of technological shortcomings. It is our 10th wedding anniversary in June, and this is how we chose to celebrate. My work colleagues were sure to ask me whether I had bought tickets, and were a bit perplexed not just because we were going to two shows, but that we were going to two shows on the same night. I suppose only Prince fans would know how he can easily vary show set lists and that even if a song is played in multiple shows, it can sound wildly different each time.

The shows were being held at the State Theatre, which is renowned for its acoustics and art, decked out with chandeliers, statues and paintings of famous composers and artists from centuries past, and even knights’ armor.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=stat ... BygC&dpr=1

The capacity of the theatre is listed at 2,775, so there really aren’t bad seats in the house. For both shows, we were near the front of the elevated dress circle and had clear view of the whole stage. The stage featured a piano, underneath of which were a bunch of flowers. Around 20 lit candles lined the corners of the stage, and a projector from the back of the theatre illuminated the backing screen with kaleidoscopes of color.

As the room went dark and the orchestral music that had been playing went silent, a purple door projected onto the screen encased Prince’s silhouette to the shrieks and screams of all in attendance. The door glowed bright yellow as the screen raised and out came Prince, wielding a cane and wearing a black beanie with metallic letters spelling “PRINCE” around the edge. He apologised for being late and then launched into a crowd-pleasing “Let’s Go Crazy”. Immediately, the acoustics of the venue made their presence felt – I’ve never heard him so clearly in concert before. Both his voice and his piano playing were flawless. Prince was playful and kept the mood upbeat with “Funk n Roll”, “Take Me With U”, and “Raspberry Beret”, which saw him invite a woman on stage to dance. An iPad sat atop the piano with lyrics that he could quickly toggle through as the set list evolved. Newly dubbed “Sydneyapolis” was having a blast! You might think that being constrained to a piano would limit Prince’s renowned showmanship, but he ensured the show was highly interactive, repeatedly walking away from the piano at various points, even off stage, offering a full display of facial expressions when he invited the audience to sing along.

The first real treat came with “Starfish and Coffee”, which he played in full! The audience seemed to know the song as well given their reaction. A gorgeous rendition of “Love… Why Will Be Done” came soon after, and Prince played around with the rhythmic structure of the verses (“I see all of your creations as one perfect complex, no one more beautiful or special than the next”). The following “I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man” was another real highlight, its slower tempo really inviting the sadness of the song to come through.

Another personal highlight came with “Controversy”, as I had played it so many times before. As with most of the upbeat songs, it was significantly blues-ified, but the funk of that heavy first note of each measure held strong! Prince scatted his way through what plays as an instrumental section on the album.

As far as I’m concerned, his falsetto has never sounded better live. He showcased it to perfection on “A Case of U”, “The Breakdown”, and a particularly playful “How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore”, in which he revealed to the audience was in “the drop”, referring to the way the first chord cuts out as if the floor fell out beneath it. All of the screeches and wails that you hear on the record were there for all to hear, and he threw in several more for good measure! His lower register sounded sublime as well, and “I Love U in Me” has long been a favorite of mine for this reason, and he didn’t disappoint.

He was also quite playful during “Cream”, in which he invited us to sing along but repeatedly protested when we began to sing “his parts”. Heck, he even put his ban on profanity on hold by singing the full “she had the cutest ass he’d ever seen” line in “Girls and Boys”!

The first encore began with “Little Red Corvette”, which was a real crowd pleaser. The most surprising part of the entire show might have been when he inserted a few runs of the main line of “Fur Elise” into an instrumental medley that featured “The Question of U” and “Under the Cherry Moon”. He closed this encore with “Nothing Compares 2 U”, which really shone with a piano-only treatment.

The second encore was pure party music, with “Black Sweat” raising the energy and “Kiss” taking it further. He invited a boy around 10 years old on stage to dance, and he killed it with wild footwork!

He returned for a final encore to leave us with “Purple Rain”, which included this funny inversion of the lyric: “It’s such a shame our friendship will never end”! I really liked that it was performed with a lot less bombast than is typical for a Prince show, the classic “woooo-oooh-ooh-oohs” sung almost as a hush.

The show made for an incredible experience, and some Prince first-time concert-goers sitting next to us were left very impressed!

Start: 7:04 pm
End: 8:46 pm

Setlist:
Let’s Go Crazy
Funk n Roll
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
Starfish and Coffee
Stand
Love… Thy Will Be Done
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
Controversy
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Venus de Milo
A Case of U
Rock n Roll Love Affair
Girls and Boys
Black Muse
Cream
I Love U in Me
The Breakdown
Money Don’t Matter 2 Night
How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore
--------------------------------------------------
Little Red Corvette
A Question of U (inst.)/Fur Elise/Under the Cherry Moon (inst.)
Slow Down
Nothing Compares 2 U
Black Sweat
Kiss
Purple Rain

After leaving our seats, we thought we would be able to stay within the venue just outside the dress circle as our subsequent tickets were literally within 5 feet of those for the first show, but we had to re-enter so our tickets could be scanned. Luckily enough, this gave us the opportunity to meet a married couple of enthusiastic fans, Rory and Tori! They were so instantly warm and friendly, and it turns out that Rory also hailed from South Africa originally! Who would have thought we would be talking about mieliepap at a Prince show?! They mentioned that their kids were also Prince fans and were disappointed they couldn’t come, and that they would fly anywhere for a Prince show to celebrate Rory’s 50th birthday in a few years. It’s always great to meet fans who are as excited as we are!

When the second show opened with the “dearly beloved” intro to “Let’s Go Crazy”, we wondered whether there would be a lot of similarity between the shows, but it quickly gave way to “Controversy”. Although there were a number of songs in common between shows, they were often performed quite differently. Case in point, “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World”, which had been performed more or less similarly to the album version during the first show. This time, though, he tantalized with the chords of “Noon Rendezvous” during the verses before returning to the normal chord structure for the chorus. Each time it gave way to the verses, I hoped beyond home that he would actually perform “Noon Rendezvous”, a song whose beauty is equal parts seductive and elegant in a way only Prince can manage, and which I had recorded on piano for a birthday CD for Tracy years ago.

And then it happened. “I’ve been wondering what to wear”, he sang, and I could no longer contain myself, shrieking my approval! And no, this song would not be rendered as a mere snippet – we were treated to a good 4 minutes of this bliss. His performance was completely reverent of the original version, and I savored every second in absolute awe. In a night as special as this, it absolutely stood out as one of the most special moments I’ve ever experienced at a Prince show.

As playful as Prince was during the first show, he was even more so for the second show, at times sprinting around the piano with shoes that announced his movement with the red lights you’d find on a 6-year-old. No sign of age 57 anywhere to be seen.

He clearly gave a lot of attention to some of his newer songs, as “Rock n Roll Love Affair” was performed as a raucous blues stomper in which he beckoned for our voices. He warned that he would be getting into the “heavy stuff” with a furiously funky screed of “Act of God”, in which he worked up such a fervor that he brought it back for a reprise after a cover of “Unchain My Heart”, and ran off the stage at the end. “Black Muse” was also ear-marked as “heavy stuff”, performed in a much more somber tone than it offers on the CD. Showcasing his vocal diversity, he reproduced the… well… screwball tone on the ever-fun “Screwdriver”. The most surprising of these was a stripped down version of “Time”, another real treat.

The end of the main set was packed with high points, as Prince sprinted back from off stage to tease out a verse and chorus of “Partyman”. “Condition of the Heart” was the kind of song this sort of show was made for, and his voice was just as delicate and whimsical as the occasion required. “Do Me, Baby” was as sizzling as ever, and the celebratory “I Wanna Be Your Lover” even featured some of the vamping from the end of the album version which I love so much.

The first encore brought out the tried and true feel-good mashup of “Take Me With You”/”Raspberry Beret” and the delicious “Starfish and Coffee”. The new surprise was a frolicking closer “Paisley Park” which finished with audience in full song.
The second encore took a more sacred tone, with “Love… Thy Will Be Done” and “Nothing Compares 2 U”, and while it was very special in its own right, it had no chance to live up to what came next.

To the degree that “Noon Rendezvous” left me in awe, the last encore left me in stupefied wonder when he opened with “Don’t need no reefer, don’t need cocaine” and it dawned on me that he was playing PURPLE FREAKING MUSIC (it’s called “Purple Music”, but given its status as a wildly experimental outtake from 1982 that never saw the light of day, I feel FULLY JUSTIFIED THROWING ‘FREAKING’ IN THERE, OK?!). The hypnotic frenzy of the outtake was reborn as a high-paced bluesy frenzy. The ragged affect in his voice kept the weirdness factor alive and well, and though he finished with a lively rendition of “Free Yourself”, I was so shell-shocked to hear “Purple Music” come to life that I hardly remember it.

Start: 10:24 pm
End: 12:10 am

Set list:
Let’s Go Crazy intro
Controversy
Ruff Enuff
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Noon Rendezvous
Venus de Milo
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
Stand
Rock n Roll Love Affair
Little Red Corvette
Slow Down
Screwdriver
I Love U, But I Don’t Trust U Anymore
The Ballad of Dorothy Parker
Time
How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore
When She Comes
Act of God
Unchain My Heart
Act of God (reprise)
Partyman
Black Muse
Condition of the Heart
Do Me, Baby
I Wanna Be Your Lover
------------------------------------------
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
Starfish and Coffee
Paisley Park
Love… Thy Will Be Done
Nothing Compares 2 U
Purple Music
Free Yourself

The night was full of big moments in terms of my Prince fandom, and the synchronicity of celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary with the love of my life who I met thanks to the guy who was performing a piano-helmed set of shows complete with many songs I had worked my way through on the keys over the years made it extra special. ♥

Aside from these personal connections, the shows themselves were otherworldly. I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that his voice has never shone as brightly live in any of the previous 25 concerts of his I had seen. This was standout performance after standout performance – I mean I haven’t even talked about “I Love U, But I Don’t Trust U Anymore” and how his vocals were able to top the studio version. These shows are absolutely RIPE to be recorded and filmed for a widespread CD/DVD release. These shows are incredibly unique and intimate high points in the history of one of the greatest live performers the world has seen. If you’ve made it all the way through this overlong review, my hat is off to you, but less than it is off to Prince. Hot damn!
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

2016 is just not a good year (and not just for losses of a celebrity nature).

RIP, Purple One- a huge musical loss.
Midaso
Wannabe

Post by Midaso »

Sad news,never knew about his health problems so it came as a big surprise to me. One of the true greats RIP
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Sometimes it snows in April
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

All doves are crying

Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

A personnal best-of for all the songs of his album (+ 2 bonus):

1978 - For you - 03 - Soft and wet
1978 - For you - 04 - Crazy you
1979 - Prince - 01 - I wanna be your lover
1979 - Prince - 04 - When we're dancing close and slow
1979 - Prince - 06 - Bambi
1980 - Dirty Mind - 01 - Dirty mind
1980 - Dirty Mind - 02 - When you were mine
1980 - Dirty Mind - 03 - Do it all night
1980 - Dirty Mind - 05 - Uptown
1980 - Dirty Mind - 07 - Sister
1980 - Dirty Mind - 08 - Partyup
1981 - Controversy - 01 - Controversy
1981 - Controversy - 02 - Sexuality
1981 - Controversy - 03 - Do Me, Baby
1981 - Controversy - 04 - Private Joy
1981 - Controversy - 05 - Ronnie, Talk to Russia
1981 - Controversy - 06 - Let's Work
1981 - Controversy - 07 - Annie Christian
1981 - Controversy - 08 - Jack U Off
1982 - 1999 - 01 - 1999
1982 - 1999 - 02 - Little red corvette
1982 - 1999 - 03 - Delirious
1982 - 1999 - 04 - Let's pretend we're married
1982 - 1999 - 05 - Automatic
1982 - 1999 - 06 - Something in the water
1982 - 1999 - 07 - Free
1982 - 1999 - 08 - Lady cab driver
1982 - 1999 - 09 - All the critics love U in New
1982 - 1999 - 10 - International lover
1984 - Purple rain - 01 - Let's go crazy
1984 - Purple rain - 02 - Take me with U
1984 - Purple rain - 03 - The beautiful ones
1984 - Purple rain - 04 - Computer blue
1984 - Purple rain - 05 - Darling Nikki
1984 - Purple rain - 06 - When doves cry
1984 - Purple rain - 07 - I would die 4 you
1984 - Purple rain - 08 - Baby I'm a star
1984 - Purple rain - 09 - Purple rain
1984 - Purple rain - 10 - bonus - Erotic City
1984 - Purple Rain - 13 - bonus - 17 Days
1985 - Around the world in a day - 01 - Around the world in a day
1985 - Around the world in a day - 02 - Paisley park
1985 - Around the world in a day - 04 - Raspberry beret
1985 - Around the world in a day - 05 - Tamborine
1985 - Around the world in a day - 06 - America
1985 - Around the world in a day - 07 - Pop life
1985 - Around the world in a day - 08 - The ladder
1985 - Around the world in a day - 11 - bonus - hello
1985 - Around the world in a day - 12 - bonus - girl
1986 - Parade - 01 - Christopher Tracy's parade
1986 - Parade - 02 - New position
1986 - Parade - 03 - I wonder U
1986 - Parade - 04 - Under the cherry moon
1986 - Parade - 05 - Girls And Boys
1986 - Parade - 06 - Life can be so nice
1986 - Parade - 09 - Do U lie
1986 - Parade - 10 - Kiss
1986 - Parade - 11 - Anotherloverholenyohead
1986 - Parade - 12 - Sometimes it snows in april
1986 - Parade - 13 - bonus - Alexa_De_Paris_(Extended)
1987 - Sign O' the times - 01 - Sign O' the times
1987 - Sign O' the times - 02 - Play in the sunshine
1987 - Sign O' the times - 03 - Housequake
1987 - Sign O' the times - 04 - The ballad of Dorothy Parker
1987 - Sign O' the times - 05 - It
1987 - Sign O' the times - 06 - Starfish and coffee
1987 - Sign O' the times - 07 - Slow love
1987 - Sign O' the times - 08 - Hot thing
1987 - Sign O' the times - 09 - Forever in my life
1987 - Sign O' the times - 10 - U got the look
1987 - Sign O' the times - 11 - If I was your girlfriend
1987 - Sign O' the times - 12 - Strange relationship
1987 - Sign O' the times - 14 - The cross
1987 - Sign O' the times - 16 - Adore
1987 - Sign O' the times - 18 - bonus _shockadelica
1987 - Sign O' the times - 21 - bonus - A Place In Heaven
1987 - Sign O' the times - 23 - bonus - All My Dreams
1987b - The black album - 01 - Le Grind
1987b - The black album - 02 - Cindy C
1987b - The black album - 06 - Superfunkycalifragisexy
1987b - The black album - 07 - 2 nigs united 4 west compton
1987b - The black album - 08 - Rockhard in a funky place
1988 - Lovesexy - 01 - No
1988 - Lovesexy - 02 - Alphabet St
1988 - Lovesexy - 03 - Glam Slam
1988 - Lovesexy - 04 - Anna Stesia
1988 - Lovesexy - 05 - Dance on
1988 - Lovesexy - 06 - Lovesexy
1988 - Lovesexy - 07 - When 2 R in love
1988 - Lovesexy - 08 - I Wish U Heaven
1988 - Lovesexy - 11 - bonus - escape
1989 - Batman - 01 - The future
1989 - Batman - 02 - Electric chair
1989 - Batman - 04 - Partyman
1989 - Batman - 05 - Vicki waiting
1989 - Batman - 07 - Lemon crush
1989 - Batman - 08 - Scandalous
1989 - Batman - 09 - Batdance
1989 - Batman - 11 - bonus - feel_u_up
1990 - Graffiti Bridge - 01 - Can't stop this feeling I got
1990 - Graffiti Bridge - 04 - The question of U
1990 - Graffiti Bridge - 06 - Round and round
1990 - Graffiti Bridge - 08 - Joy in repetition
1990 - Graffiti Bridge - 11 - Shake !
1990 - Graffiti Bridge - 12 - Thieves in the temple
1990 - Graffiti Bridge - 14 - Melody cool
1990 - Graffiti Bridge - 15 - Still would stand all time
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 01 - Thunder
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 02 - Daddy pop
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 03 - Diamonds and pearls
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 04 - Cream
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 05 - trollin'
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 06 - Willing and able
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 07 - Get off
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 08 - Walk don't walk
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 10 - Money don't matter 2 tonight
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 11 - Push
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 12 - Insatiable
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 13 - Live 4 love
1991 - Diamonds and pearls - 14 - bonus - _i_love_u_in_me
1992 - The Love Symbol album - 01 - My name is Prince
1992 - The Love Symbol album - 02 - Sexy M.F
1992 - The Love Symbol album - 03 - Love 2 the 9's
1992 - The Love Symbol album - 04 - The morning papers
1992 - The Love Symbol album - 05 - The max
1992 - The Love Symbol album - 07 - Blue light
1992 - The Love Symbol album - 14 - 7
1993 - Gold Nigga - 01 - Goldnigga Pt. 1
1993 - Gold Nigga - 05 - Deuce & a quarter
1993 - Prince & Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (live)
1993 - The B-sides - 12 - Peach
1994 - Come - 01 - Prince - Come
1994 - Come - 02 - Prince - Space
1994 - Come - 03 - Prince - Pheromone
1994 - Come - 04 - Prince - Loose!
1994 - Come - 05 - Prince - Papa
1994 - Come - 06 - Prince - Race
1994 - Come - 07 - Prince - Dark
1994 - Come - 09 - Prince - Letitgo
1995 - The Gold Experience - 01 - p control
1995 - The Gold Experience - 03 - endorphinmachine
1995 - The Gold Experience - 07 - the most beautiful girl in the world
1995 - The Gold Experience - 14 - shy
1995 - The Gold Experience - 15 - billy jack bitch
1995 - The Gold Experience - 16 - i hate u
1995 - The Gold Experience - 18 - gold
1995b - Exodus - 02 - Get wild
1995b - Exodus - 18 - Hallucination rain
1995b - Exodus - 20 - The exodus has begun
1996 - Chaos And Disorder - 01 - Chaos And Disorder
1996 - Chaos And Disorder - 02 - I Like It There
1996 - Chaos And Disorder - 03 - Dinner With Delores
1996 - Chaos And Disorder - 06 - Zannalee
1996 - Chaos And Disorder - 08 - Into The Light
1996b - Emancipation - 01 - Jam of the year
1996b - Emancipation - 02 - Right back here in my arms
1996b - Emancipation - 03 - Somebodys somebody
1996b - Emancipation - 04 - Get yo groove on
1996b - Emancipation - 05 - Courtin time
1996b - Emancipation - 06 - Betcha by golly wow
1996b - Emancipation - 10 - Eye cant make U love me
1996b - Emancipation - 13 - Sex in the summer
1996b - Emancipation - 15 - Soul sanctuary
1996b - Emancipation - 16 - Emale
1996b - Emancipation - 17 - Curious child
1996b - Emancipation - 18 - Dreamin' about U
1996b - Emancipation - 20 - The holy river
1996b - Emancipation - 22 - Saviour
1996b - Emancipation - 24 - Friend, lover, sister, mother, wife
1996b - Emancipation - 25 - Slave
1996b - Emancipation - 29 - La, la, la means eye love you
1996b - Emancipation - 34 - One of us
1996b - Emancipation - 35 - The love we make
1996b - Emancipation - 36 - Emancipation
1998 - Crystal Ball - 01 - Crystal Ball
1998 - Crystal Ball - 02 - Dream Factory
1998 - Crystal Ball - 03 - Acknowledge Me
1998 - Crystal Ball - 04 - Ripopgodazippa
1998 - Crystal Ball - 05 - Lovesign
1998 - Crystal Ball - 06 - Hide The Bone
1998 - Crystal Ball - 07 - 2morrow
1998 - Crystal Ball - 08 - So Dark
1998 - Crystal Ball - 09 - Movie Star
1998 - Crystal Ball - 11 - Interactive
1998 - Crystal Ball - 12 - Da Bang
1998 - Crystal Ball - 13 - Calhoun Square
1998 - Crystal Ball - 14 - What's My Name
1998 - Crystal Ball - 15 - Crucial
1998 - Crystal Ball - 20 - Strays Of The World
1998 - Crystal Ball - 21 - Days Of Wild
1998 - Crystal Ball - 23 - Poompoom
1998b - The Truth - 01 - The Truth
1998b - The Truth -02 - Donït Play Me
1998b - The Truth -08 - The Other Side Of The Pillow
1998b - The Truth -09 - Fascination
1998c - New Power Soul - 01 - New Power Soul
1998c - New Power Soul - 02 - Mad Sex
1998c - New Power Soul - 07 - Freaks On This Side
1998c - New Power Soul - 09 - The One
1998c - New Power Soul - 11 - Wasted Kisses
1999 - The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale - 01 - The Rest Of My Life
1999 - The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale - 02 - It's About That Walk
1999 - The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale - 03 - She Spoke 2 Me
1999 - The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale - 04 - 5 Women
1999 - The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale - 05 - When The Lights Go Down
1999 - The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale - 07 - There Is Lonely
1999 - The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale - 08 - Old Friends 4 Sale
1999 - The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale - 09 - Sarah
1999 - The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale - 10 - Extraordinary
1999a - Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic - 01 - Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic
1999a - Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic - 03 - The Greatest Romance Ever Sold
1999a - Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic - 08 - The Sun, The Moon and Stars
1999a - Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic - 11 - Prince - Beautiful Strange
1999a - Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic - 12 - Baby Knows
2001 - The Rainbow Children - 01 - Rainbow children
2001 - The Rainbow Children - 04 - The work part 1
2001 - The Rainbow Children - 12 - Family name
2002 - One Nite Alone - 04 - ACaseOfU
2002 - One Nite Alone - 07 - Avalanche
2003 - N.E.W.S. - 04 - South
2004a - The Chocolate Invasion - 06 - Vavoom
2004a - The Chocolate Invasion - 01 - When Eye Lay My Hands On U
2004a - The Chocolate Invasion - 02 - Judas Smile
2004a - The Chocolate Invasion - 03 - Supercute
2004a - The Chocolate Invasion - 04 - Underneath The Cream
2004a - The Chocolate Invasion - 05 - Sexme-Sexmenot
2004a - The Chocolate Invasion - 07 - High
2004a - The Chocolate Invasion - 08 - The Dance
2004a - The Chocolate Invasion - 10 - U Make My Sun Shine
2004b - The Slaughterhouse - 04 - Golden Parachute
2004b - The Slaughterhouse - 05 - Hypnoparadise
2004b - The Slaughterhouse - 06 - Props N' Pounds
2004b - The Slaughterhouse - 07 - Northside
2004b - The Slaughterhouse - 08 - Peace
2004b - The Slaughterhouse - 10 - The Daisy Chain
2004b -The Slaughterhouse - 09 - 2045_ Radical Man
2004c - C Note - 05 - Empty Room
2004d - Musicology - 01 - Musicology
2004d - Musicology - 02 - Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circumstance
2004d - Musicology - 11 - Dear Mr. Man
2006 - 3121 - 01 - 3121
2006 - 3121 - 04 - black_sweat
2006 - 3121 - 08 - Fury
2006 - 3121 - 09 - the word
2007 - Planet Earth - 02 - guitar
2007 - Planet Earth - 06 - mr._goodnight
2007 - Planet Earth - 08 - chelsea_rodgers
2009 - LotusFlow3r - 02 - boom
2009 - LotusFlow3r - 05 - colonized_mind
2009 - LotusFlow3r - 06 - feel_good_feel_better_feel_wonderful
2009 - LotusFlow3r - 09 - wall_of_berlin
2009 - LotusFlow3r - 10 - money
2009 - LotusFlow3r - 11 - dreamer
2009 - MplSound - 02 - chocolate_box
2009 - MplSound - 03 - dance_4_me
2009 - MplSound - 06 - valentina
2009 - MplSound - 08 - ol_skool_company
2009 - MplSound - 09 - no_more_candy_4_u
2010 - 20ten - 04 - Sticky Like Glue
2010 - 20ten - 05 - Act of God
2010 - 20ten - 07 - Laydown (extended)
2014 - Art Official Age - 04 - The Gold Standard
2014 - Art Official Age - 05 - U Know
2014 - Art Official Age - 11 - Funknroll
2014 - Plectrumelectrum - 01 - Wow
2014 - Plectrumelectrum - 02 - Pretzelbodylogic
2014 - Plectrumelectrum - 06 - Fixurlifeup
2015 - HITnRUN Phase One - 07 - X's Face
2015 - HITnRUN Phase One - 08 - Hardrocklover
2015 - HITnRUN Phase One - 11 - June
2016 - HITnRUN Phase Two - 03 - 2 Y. 2 D.
2016 - HITnRUN Phase Two - 05 - Stare
2016 - HITnRUN Phase Two - 12 - Big City

We will probably have new songs for years and years, his vault is so huge. This guy have more songs not recorded on albums than songs recorded.

Two bonus :
Prince - We Can Funk
Prince - Moonbeam Levels
Last edited by Romain on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

=(

Sad News. What a great artist. One of my favorites.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

As bad as 2016 has been for deaths of great musicians, I feel that it might get worse in the coming years. I started thinking about all of the greats who are starting to get up there in age after Bowie's death: Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Page and Plant, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, Sly Stone, Paul and Ringo, Mick Jagger and Aretha Franklin (to name a few). And what I think might be the saddest (and most troubling) part is that when I made that list, Prince didn't even cross my mind.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Listyguy wrote:As bad as 2016 has been for deaths of great musicians, I feel that it might get worse in the coming years. I started thinking about all of the greats who are starting to get up there in age after Bowie's death: Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Page and Plant, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, Sly Stone, Paul and Ringo, Mick Jagger and Aretha Franklin (to name a few). And what I think might be the saddest (and most troubling) part is that when I made that list, Prince didn't even cross my mind.
Let's not forget that there are a few 1950s pioneers who are, amazingly, still alive: Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, and Jerry Lee Lewis, to name the most prominent. All at least 82 years old.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I'm not going to quote Romain's post a couple of posts above this one because it would take up a lot of the page but that is one heck of a list man. Props to you for coming up with something like that.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

What's also hard-hitting about the deaths of Bowie and Prince is how much they changed our cultural landscape. I try to compare it to James Murphy; LCD Soundsystem is my favorite band, but there's no real connection beyond that music. Bowie and Prince, on the other hand, are cultural forces.

A lot of my older queer friends were hit especially hard by Bowie's death; to them growing up in the 70s and 80s, he was proof it was okay to dress effeminately and be a little different. It appears many of my friends also found solace in Prince's style. In many ways, both men redefined what it meant to be a man, and in a way that helped everyone get a better idea of themselves. Bowie can wear dresses, Prince can deck himself out in purple, and they're still more badass than anyone else.

Like, I honestly can't think of any living individual musicians who gripped culture like these two. I'm not sure we ever will - and that's pointedly a good thing. No one has to step into the shoes of proving it's alright to be different, as that is now a fact of our everyday lives.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Harold wrote:
Listyguy wrote:As bad as 2016 has been for deaths of great musicians, I feel that it might get worse in the coming years. I started thinking about all of the greats who are starting to get up there in age after Bowie's death: Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Page and Plant, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, Sly Stone, Paul and Ringo, Mick Jagger and Aretha Franklin (to name a few). And what I think might be the saddest (and most troubling) part is that when I made that list, Prince didn't even cross my mind.
Let's not forget that there are a few 1950s pioneers who are, amazingly, still alive: Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, and Jerry Lee Lewis, to name the most prominent. All at least 82 years old.
I feel really bad now, because I thought he died years ago. Turns out he's still alive.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

First thought: Fuck. A music legend has died. A special legend.

Second thought: I hope Moonbeam and Romain are OK. (Glad to know that they are both OK, under the circumstances.)

Third thought: I feel like a total bitch for saying this, but I didn't always agree with what post-80s Prince represented.

Fourth thought: For 80s Prince, though, I have limitless respect. Not only did he create exhilarating, original music, he also altered perceptions about masculinity and about what it means to be a man. In a hundred years from now, that will still be remembered.
...will keep us together.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

BleuPanda wrote:What's also hard-hitting about the deaths of Bowie and Prince is how much they changed our cultural landscape. I try to compare it to James Murphy; LCD Soundsystem is my favorite band, but there's no real connection beyond that music. Bowie and Prince, on the other hand, are cultural forces.

A lot of my older queer friends were hit especially hard by Bowie's death; to them growing up in the 70s and 80s, he was proof it was okay to dress effeminately and be a little different. It appears many of my friends also found solace in Prince's style. In many ways, both men redefined what it meant to be a man, and in a way that helped everyone get a better idea of themselves. Bowie can wear dresses, Prince can deck himself out in purple, and they're still more badass than anyone else.

Like, I honestly can't think of any living individual musicians who gripped culture like these two. I'm not sure we ever will - and that's pointedly a good thing. No one has to step into the shoes of proving it's alright to be different, as that is now a fact of our everyday lives.
Interesting Bleu I don't think so either. I would say Madonna, maybe? Beyonce if she can stay on top or near it for another 15-20 years or at least relevant. I also would say Kanye but there are too many people that dislike him but he does get people talking positive or negative. He is going to have to get out of this ego-driven attitude that he has created for himself despite making very good music for over a decade now. Almost like if he changed himself to a humble Kanye in the next 10 years he would probably have people come around to him but that's like asking for a miracle. Taylor Swift could also get in this conversation if she goes the Beyonce route I mentioned. I don't know I'm throwing out name that probably won't get to the level of Bowie or Prince but just felt that it is an interesting topic you brought up. And then you could maybe even throw in Drake I mean you know he's....

JUST KIDDING.

The legends that are still living as Harold and Listguy mentioned are great artist/musicians but they don't have that cultural appeal or a lot of it like you said. Age plays a factor as those artists are in their 70s or older and they have released any new albums music that have caught on with a lot of people. Bowie of course was still kicking out great albums and has the best album this year so far and Prince always put out new music and toured and showed up at events.
Last edited by bootsy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:
Harold wrote:
I feel really bad now, because I thought he died years ago. Turns out he's still alive.
A lot of people did. He was reported to have died in Hurricane Katrina but was found alive.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

bootsy wrote:
babydoll wrote:
Harold wrote:
A lot of people did. He was reported to have died in Hurricane Katrina but was found alive.
No, I just thought he was in his late '30s in his prime. Yikes.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Bootsy and BleuPanda, I would have to say Madonna was bigger than the two mentioned. I am sorry for saying this about two of your musical heroes, but she was SO much bigger in the '80s than Prince. In fact, out of the '80s artists bigger than Prince, the only ones bigger than him were Michael, Madonna, and Whitney.

David Bowie really only had nine top 20 hits (in the U.S.) overall, but he certainly remained a cultural phenomenon, and Bleu, he certainly was a gay icon. His death was tough for a lot of people, not only gay men who had a presence in the '70s and '80s, but he wasn't quite on a MAJOR scale.

Ugh, I just felt crappy for writing this. But yeah, Madonna certainly gripped pop culture unlike no other, including Michael and The Beatles and Elvis. Her death will be big news.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”