The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by babydoll »

BleuPanda wrote:Also, can I request you do something similar to what I did at the beginning of the song poll, listing everyone's favorite act that didn't make the final list?
I'll be the only person with their #1 not represented! :music-rockon:
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm almost worried all of my top 100 will make it...though, I guess there are a few critically acclaimed acts that I don't notice many other fans of here.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

BleuPanda wrote:I'm almost worried all of my top 100 will make it...though, I guess there are a few critically acclaimed acts that I don't notice many other fans of here.
I'd be happy if all of my top 100 made it (for the most part). I don't think many people will cater well to Britney Spears.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

babydoll wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:Also, can I request you do something similar to what I did at the beginning of the song poll, listing everyone's favorite act that didn't make the final list?
I'll be the only person with their #1 not represented! :music-rockon:
Nah babydoll, my number one also won't be represented. XD
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

JimmyJazz wrote:There is officially less than 2 weeks left for this poll. Once again, anyone wishing to submit a ballot or revise their already submitted lists should do so very soon!

I may do a PM blast for those who have said they will or have voted in the past.
I'm almost done. I'll send my list this weekend - too much work on the weekdays to finalize.
That's a great idea! I also would like to suggest to put in the artist's essential album and 3 key tracks along with a little commentary like for example:
50. Nick Drake: folk singer of gentle, haunting songs who found wide acclaim and recognition decades after his early death.
essential album: Five Leaves Left
key songs: River Man, Pink Moon, One of These Things First
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Dexter wrote:
That's a great idea! I also would like to suggest to put in the artist's essential album and 3 key tracks along with a little commentary like for example:
50. Nick Drake: folk singer of gentle, haunting songs who found wide acclaim and recognition decades after his early death.
essential album: Five Leaves Left
key songs: River Man, Pink Moon, One of These Things First
For this, I propose we use the songs and albums poll. We show all their entrants in the Top 1000, similar to how on the last EOY I listed the ranking tracks in the Songs Poll for each album in the Albums Poll.

Just a thought.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Does this mean we wouldn't be submitting comments? I'm fine either way, I suppose.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

babydoll wrote:Okay, Bruno, the rest of my thoughts on your artist. I've spent all day thinking about them.

Lauryn Hill should be counted as a solo artist. If you group her with Fugees, you're going to have to group Wyclef Jean and Pras along. As such, she should be considered a solo artist. It is along with that thought that George Michael should be counted as solo apart from Wham! (even with similar styles).

Parliament/Funkadelic probably should be considered as one since they are frequently paired together. The Jackson 5/The Jacksons are basically the same.

When people think of Paul McCartney's solo career, they probably think of Wings songs, so therefore I would campaign for those two to get grouped together.

As always, this is JimmyJazz's list so he has the final word over all this.
I would agree about the P-Funk and Jacksons. Just in case nobody is aware of the history, when the Jackson 5 disembarked for Epic records (minus Jermaine), Motown would not let them use their name (hence they became the Jacksons).

However, I would disagree about George Michael. He was Wham!. He wrote the songs; he arranged the songs; he produced the songs; he sang the songs. In terms of Billboard reference books, they always list Wham! under George Michael. Billboard does not do this for, say, Simon and Garfunkel or The Fugees because they recognize that these other groups/duos were not one-person shows (e.g. Simon may have written all the major songs, but Garfunkel was a great singer).
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

stone37 wrote:
babydoll wrote:Okay, Bruno, the rest of my thoughts on your artist. I've spent all day thinking about them.

Lauryn Hill should be counted as a solo artist. If you group her with Fugees, you're going to have to group Wyclef Jean and Pras along. As such, she should be considered a solo artist. It is along with that thought that George Michael should be counted as solo apart from Wham! (even with similar styles).

Parliament/Funkadelic probably should be considered as one since they are frequently paired together. The Jackson 5/The Jacksons are basically the same.

When people think of Paul McCartney's solo career, they probably think of Wings songs, so therefore I would campaign for those two to get grouped together.

I would agree about the P-Funk and Jacksons. Just in case nobody is aware of the history, when the Jackson 5 disembarked for Epic records (minus Jermaine), Motown would not let them use their name (hence they became the Jacksons).

However, I would disagree about George Michael. He was Wham!. He wrote the songs; he arranged the songs; he produced the songs; he sang the songs. In terms of Billboard reference books, they always list Wham! under George Michael. Billboard does not do this for, say, Simon and Garfunkel or The Fugees because they recognize that these other groups/duos were not one-person shows (e.g. Simon may have written all the major songs, but Garfunkel was a great singer).
I wrote that like months ago, and even then with George Michael's omnipresent role in Wham!, most people I know think of Wham! and George Michael's solo careers are two different things, with the exception of "Careless Whisper" which has a confusing role. Thus that's why I wrote that they should be counted separately, despite their similarities. I'm all for separating artists from bands, and vice versa - Paul McCartney's role with Wings is an exception. But you should have objected to this months ago instead of nine days before the deadline.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

babydoll wrote:
stone37 wrote:

I wrote that like months ago, and even then with George Michael's omnipresent role in Wham!, most people I know think of Wham! and George Michael's solo careers are two different things, with the exception of "Careless Whisper" which has a confusing role. Thus that's why I wrote that they should be counted separately, despite their similarities. I'm all for separating artists from bands, and vice versa - Paul McCartney's role with Wings is an exception. But you should have objected to this months ago instead of nine days before the deadline.
I have been away from AM for quite awhile. Just logged back in yesterday. I thought I would comment on an issue I found interesting.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi everyone, sorry for the long absence. Been busy moving during all of this...

We officially have hit the 50 ballots mark! I got lists from stone37, ordinaryperson, VanillaFire1000, and Petri. I also received luney6's revised list.

I still need to PM blast other possible voters for this final week of voting, but we already have the best turn out for this poll in its history!

I will repeat: if you want to submit a list or a revision, do so before midnight of Thursday June 30th! If you submit it before the midnight of your timezone, I won't reject it either!

As for the format of the poll, when it comes to albums and songs, I will just do what we usually do and list the albums and songs that ranked in the previous polls. Dexter's small commentary idea is also probably what I am going to do, in order to save time and avoid the hassle of the whole user comments fiasco currently.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Also, in regards to the Wham/George Michael thing, I will go with the rules previously established already.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Submitted my list.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I feel for last-minute voters I should establish this right off the bat: a ballot needs to have AT LEAST 50 artists on it, no fewer.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I think most of my artists toward the top will be on the list. Maybe not the particular one you can probably guess. (I'd consider it a personal victory if this person came anywhere near the top 100). But toward the middle I have a few artists like Anais Mitchell and Fennesz who almost certainly won't.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

53 ballots now, with Jirin, Miguel, and Merlo having submitted. Keep 'em coming people!
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Did you get my revised submission?
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Yes.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

I'm out, unfortunately. No time for list-making right now! :(
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

JimmyJazz wrote:53 ballots now, with Jirin, Miguel, and Merlo having submitted. Keep 'em coming people!
53???? Wow, I don't remember us getting that many for any poll ever (someone correct me if I'm wrong). :music-rockon:
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jimmy, the idea of extending the top 100 to a top 150-200-whatever was toyed with earlier this month, although I agree with people that it should only be done if the differences in scores are relevant enough to make a longer list interesting. Now that we're nearly over, what are your thoughts about it? I know you plan to post a complete top 500 no matter what, but do you believe developing the list a little longer would be worth it? If it was, would it be too much of a bother at this point? I'm just curious :greetings-waveyellow:
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Only two more days left everyone!!!

As for what Pierre has said, I will probably still just list the Top 500. I am still toying with whether it will be a detailed presentation for a Top 200...
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:As for what Pierre has said, I will probably still just list the Top 500. I am still toying with whether it will be a detailed presentation for a Top 200...
Huh, yeah, I didn't mean developing further than a top 500, but having a detailed presentation longer than the top 100. Sorry for expressing myself badly :?
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

JimmyJazz wrote:Only two more days left everyone!!!

As for what Pierre has said, I will probably still just list the Top 500. I am still toying with whether it will be a detailed presentation for a Top 200...
Submitted mine. Whew! I broke out a sweat.

JimmyJazz, after the deadline, Is it okay for us to post our lists on this thread? I'm very interested to see the picks of the other voters.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I will start a separate thread for the individual ballots after the results have been unveiled, as is the typical process on the forum. Just got three more lists, with Dexter, Craig, and Moonbeam. This brings us to 56!!! Just shy of four currently that would bring us to 60. Awesome turnout everybody!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Hype!

When do you think the presentation will begin?
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

JimmyJazz wrote:I will start a separate thread for the individual ballots after the results have been unveiled, as is the typical process on the forum. Just got three more lists, with Dexter, Craig, and Moonbeam. This brings us to 56!!! Just shy of four currently that would bring us to 60. Awesome turnout everybody!
This is really great.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bumping this every now and then to make sure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

57th ballot with TimmyWing's!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Less than two days now!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

sent
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

59 ballots with Brad and Neil having sent two. Just one short of 60!!!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

...And with Toni's submissions, we have officially reached 60 ballots folks. :happy-partydance: :music-guitarred: :music-listening: :music-rockon:
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

JimmyJazz wrote:...And with Toni's submissions, we have officially reached 60 ballots folks. :happy-partydance: :music-guitarred: :music-listening: :music-rockon:
Woot Woot!
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Wow, it must have been the greatest number of participants in any of our polls.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Final day of voting everyone!!! We already have 60 ballots, far more than other poll, but more ballots won't hurt either!

I will accept submissions up to midnight of today. This includes midnight for people of different time zones as well
kaue
Superunknown

Post by kaue »

Sent!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Just sent mine!
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Toni wrote:Wow, it must have been the greatest number of participants in any of our polls.
Acclaimed Music is the best world music forum

It's time to raise to 100x100

Do you think it is possible to get 100 am'ers send their list of the 100 best songs of their lives?

Only 100. I believe that if we say "can send the list with 500, 2,000, 10,000 songs" that has a deterrent effect.

Just 100 songs from 100 am'ers.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Otisredding wrote:
Toni wrote:Wow, it must have been the greatest number of participants in any of our polls.
Acclaimed Music is the best world music forum

It's time to raise to 100x100

Do you think it is possible to get 100 am'ers send their list of the 100 best songs of their lives?

Only 100. I believe that if we say "can send the list with 500, 2,000, 10,000 songs" that has a deterrent effect.

Just 100 songs from 100 am'ers.
Maybe by sending a message on the Facebook group to reactivate some old forumers. I doubt we can reach it, but it's not completely impossible.
AM is a great forum in term of quality and atmosphere, but it's still relatively small in size :
There are 399 users who have sent at least one message in the forum (which means than over 1000 users have never posted anything, Wonder how many are bots). Only 182 of them have sent more than 10 messages, though I'm pretty sure a bunch of those below 10 have participated in at least one poll, including this one : by the way welcome to kaue, renan antonio and profeta, proving you don't need to post to take part in the polls.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

There's a facebook group?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

BleuPanda wrote:There's a facebook group?
Same question :o
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bumping this periodically on the last day.
profeta
Start Me Up

Post by profeta »

Nassim wrote:by the way welcome to kaue, renan antonio and profeta, proving you don't need to post to take part in the polls.
Thanks, Nassim!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Pierre wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/15184325211/
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nassim wrote:
Pierre wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/15184325211/
Wow, indeed it's been inactive for a while now. I think it was potentially a good idea though. Maybe we should consider relaunching this.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Got Dan's revised ballot. Only so many hours until the poll closes everyone!
Karla
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Karla »

Hi everyone, this is my first participation in the forum.

I took courage and sent my list. Hope there's still time.
So come on let it go..
Just let it be... :music-listening:
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

JimmyJazz wrote:Got Dan's revised ballot. Only so many hours until the poll closes everyone!
Thanks for taking my updated ballot :) I look forward to seeing the final results! :D
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

...Actually, I was referring to Dan, Daniel. But I also have your revised list too!

63 ballots now! Midnight keeps approaching!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”