AMF Hall of Acclaim 2010 Edition: Voting Thread

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

AMF Hall of Acclaim 2010 Edition: Voting Thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

Moving on to another week (and year!) You can view the current inductees of the Hall in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1328

So how this game works is pretty simple: nominate at least five and no more than ten acts that you feel are deserving of being in the AMF Hall. For your list to be considered eligible, however, you have to provide a brief justification for why you personally feel the top five acts on your list deserve to be inducted. This is only required for the first five acts on your list. Additionally, you can nominate up to three “backstage wing” individuals who you feel deserve to be in the Hall. “Backstage wing” types include songwriters, producers, record company founders/owners, music video directors, and critics/scholars. This is entirely optional, however, and your list will not be deemed ineligible if you don’t nominate anyone in this category. Another thing regarding acts: Please consider their work BEFORE the year 2010 when making your choices.

The point system I will be using is as basic as possible: #1 = 10 pts., #2 = 9 pts., and so on. For the backstage lists, if you only include one person, that person will get 3 points, a 2-person list has the second person get 2 points, and so on. I will keep this poll up until the 16th Saturday night 8:00 pm UTC timezone. The top four vote getters will be the inductees of that year. In the case of a tie, a vote will be used to determine the winner.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: AMF Hall of Acclaim 2010 Edition: Voting Thread

Post by Pierre »

As promised in the other topic. I don't feel like rewriting new comments, so I simply copy-pasted my previous post minus Serge Gainsbourg plus Aphex Twin and some minor changes.

1. Soda Stereo
The greatest band singing in Spanish. They have sold albums by the millions, and they are considered in Latin America as a kind of latino U2.

2. Léo Ferré
He might be the single greatest French chanson singer of all times. His songs showcase a versatile songwriting style with one of the most prolific vocabulary from any chanson songwriter. Favourites: "Avec le temps", "La Mémoire et la Mer", "La Solitude", "C'est extra" (this one has aged badly though)...

3. Andrés Calamaro
A recent discovery, and one of the most pleasant. He is seen as one the biggest Argentinian rockers of all times. His double album "Honestidad brutal" is one of the most expensive Spanigh-language albums ever (250 000 dollars), having done roughly a hundred songs, of which "only" 37 ended on the album.

4. Alain Bashung
This guy is the most underrated French rock singers of all times out there. Half of his albums are classics, and some songs, such as "La nuit je mens", "Ma petite entreprise", "Gaby oh Gaby", "Résidents de la République" or "Osez Joséphine" are legendary here in France.

5. Mecano
A really sweet Spanish pop act of the 80s. "Hijo de la luna" or "Mujer contra mujer" are among the most beautiful pop ballads I ever heard.

6. Noir Désir
The greatest French rock band of all time, they just brought grunge to the hexagon, included some French influences in it and turned their sound into a sonic alternative revolution. "Tostaky", "L'Homme pressé", "Un jour en France", "Le vent l'emportera", "Aux sombres héros de la mer"...

7. IAM
They authored the French hip-hop album "L'École du micro d'argent", if you understood French lyrics, it should have been enough. :music-rockon:

8. Animal Collective
With 2009 behind, "Merriweather Post Pavilion" counts, and I think that this album and "Strawberry Jam" are some of the greatest achievements in the indie milieu.

9. Underworld
The guys who made me fall in love with electronic music. Give me more of "Cowgirl", "Born Slippy", "Juanita/Kiteless/This Dream of Love", "Pearl's Girl", "Jumbo"...

10. Aphex Twin
Richard D. James revolutionized electronic and ambient music. Without him, Moby or Radiohead would probably have followed sharply different paths, and he's also a really impressive artist in his own right. I still regularly play his first album.

Backstage wing:
1. Chris Blackwell
I can't believe he's not in yet!

2. Pierre Barouh
Mostly remembered by many as the guy who sang the title song of "A Man and a Woman/Un homme et une femme" alongside Nicole Croisille, he is most of all the guy who introduced Bossa Nova in France before founding the "Saravah" label, on which some seminal French acts recorded, such as Brigitte Fontaine, Jacques Higelin or Jean-Roger Caussimon.

3. Dee Nasty
French DJ who practically created the French hip-hop subculture. I hesitated much with Geldof and Ezrin, but I followed with my unreasonable support for French and Spanish artists.

Just for the sake of it:
4. Bob Ezrin
5. Bob Geldof
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Alain Bashung : an absolute stylish guy who created some of the best French songs of all times.
2. Brian Eno : his three first solo albums are three masterpieces and deserve a lot more acclaimed.
3. George Brassens : I learned French with this guy and I continue to discover the beauty of the languagewith his poetic songs.
4.Ennio Morricone : a real genius. Simply the best film music composer of the world.
5. Les Rita Mitsouko : a forgot this group the last time. Like Bashung this group is a pilar of the French chansons.
6. MGMT
7. Gorillaz
8. Antony and the Johnstons
9. Arctic Monkeys
10. The Libertines

Backstage wings :
Alain Goraguer, Michel Colombier and Jean-Claude Vannier, three of the Gainsbourg arrengers (I don't know if it's the good word in english). And three great composers too.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Like Pierre, I'm going to cut and paste from my 2009 nominations, with one small change, because, when Pierre is right, he's right. Ok, two small changes, because I understand strategic voting and want to be able to change my 2011 nominations.

Les artistes:

1. Carole King. Critically under-rated songwriter, she forms, along with James Taylor, the link between Tin Pan Alley and the singer-songwriter genre (as in, she belonged to both camps). Unfortunately, her second album, Tapestry was such a huge success that her much more modest output over the last forty years has been mostly ignored.

2. Carlos Santana. Great guitarist. First live show I ever saw (on the Abraxas tour, to date myself.) Had a second wind with his duets album early in the 00's (actually Supernatural was released in June 1999, but most of the singles followed) which introduced him to a whole new generation, and deservedly so. Never went away for lovers of Latin Jazz.

3. Rage Against The Machine. Politically motivated music that captures the anger of the times, plus kick ass raps, plus blistering nu-metal guitars. What's not to love?

4. B.B. King is not in the Hall of Acclaim? What, nobody loves him but his mother? And she could be jiving too?

5. Billy Joel. Ok, huge amounts of pop-cheese at his worst, but at his best (Piano Man, New York State of Mind, Movin' Out) he was the quintessential 70's songwriter.

And backstage:

1.) Barry Beckett, Roger Hawkins, Jimmy Johnson and David Hood ("the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section"). Founded the Muscle Shoals Recording Studio, arguably as important in the 70's and 80's, and continuing through today, as Berry Gordon's studio in the 60's or Sun Studios in the 50's. Artists who recorded there include the Rolling Stones (Sticky Fingers), Herbie Mann, Aretha Franklin, Bob Seger, Alabama, Lynard Skynard, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (separately), right up to the Drive-By Truckers, Bettye LaVette and the Alabama Shakes. The original studio itself is on the U.S. Register of National Historic Places. (It's only 2010!)

2.) T-Bone Burnett. A record producer since 1972, his credits include everyone from B.B. King to the Wallflowers, with two Grammys (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand and the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack) and one Oscar for Best Original Song (The Weary Kind from "Crazy Heart"). A musician himself, he was guitarist for Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue.

3.) Chris Blackwell. Because Pierre's right (Pierre sees my Jimmy Iovine, and raises one genre.)
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Hate to sound repetitive.
Backstage Wing
1. Rodney Bingenheimwr: was the first to play just about everyone from Ramones to Coldplay, Smiths, Cure, Blur, Oasis, Blondie, X, YYYs, Strokes, Travis, Bowie, Nirvana, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Runaways, the Donnas, Suede, Pulp, the Clash, Ash, Elastica, Ride, Siouxsie..., The Pandoras, James, Hole, Garbage, Red Kross, Bratmobile, the Sweet, T.Rex, Roxy Music, Belle and Sebastain, Alice Cooper, Wire, the Buzzcocks, Thin Lizzy, Gary Glitter, Silverhead, Kate Bush, Sex Pistols, Bauhaus,Garbage,the Stone Roses, Supergrass, the Damned, Dickies, Dead Kennedy's, the Germs, X Ray Spex, Bow Wow Wow, Bad Religion, NOFX, Elvis Costello, Sonic Youth, The Blasters, No Doubt, Doves, Elbow, Green Day, Manic Street Preachers, the Cramps, the Specials, Trashcan Sinatras, Placebo, The Divine Comedy, The Sundays, the Happy Mondays, Adam Ant, Devo,Madness, the English Beat, Black Flag, Bikini Kill, Gore Gore Girls, Clinic, Dandy Warhol's, Sleater-Kinney, Catherine Wheel, Nina Hagen, Suzy Quatro, the Go Gos, The Bangles, Bananarama, Oingo Boingo, Dramarama, The Negro Problem, the Horrors, The Sounds, Phantom Planet, The Killers, Interpol, Hot Hot Heat, Muse, The Circle Jerks, the Chills,
the Postmarks, Slade....I can go on for days not to mention being a stand in for Davy Jones and the proud owner of LA's legendary English Disco. Definitely my #1 in every sense of the word.

2. Kim Fowley: both he and Rodney considered Mayor of the Sunset Strip at one point. Runaways creator who would have NEVER gotten away with sexifying teenage girls (all be it with tremendous talent) the way he did back than NOW. Kind a like the John Waters of 70s glam/hard rock with his wild perversion and raunchy imagery. Recently FINALLY buried the hatchet with Lita and yes Cherie Currie.

3.Dr. Demento (come on bring some comedy to the HOF so many songwriters take themselves so seriously and believe the own SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........AVING CREAM;) that references was probably moderately amusing the first time around.

1. Cocteau Twins: Sigur Ros made it in? Yet another band that was clearly inspired by the Cocteaus yet they're not in themselves? What baffles the mind as muppet who sounds exactly like a musician I'm about to mention would say, is how people will say Liz's voice repulses them yet who do we place in the top 21 of this years Artists Poll? Whatever! Even if you think they never released a masterpiece on the level of Loveless you put Cocteaus 10 or 11 BEST singles against Loveless and The Twins could definitely hold their own. Anyway,quite simply the band that started Dreampop which evolved into shoegaze, c86, twee even highly influential on acclaimed dark metal acts as Deftones and Deafheaven. Now that is coming a long, long way. The list of bands they've influenced is in the millions. Everyone MBV, Spacemen 3 and JAMC have influenced can also be mentioned in the same breath as the Cocteaus.

2. Shonen Knife- Can't really think of any twee bands who predated them so they must be considered one of the first and cutest no doubt. Plus the were massive in Japan at one time which is beyond rare;)

3. Teenage Fanclub: while they've never really released anything I'd consider a flat out masterpiece the songs of there's i do enjoy are some of my all time faves and too this day they still manage to put out incredible tracks worthy of making a sensational addition to a tremendous catalog.

4. Manic Street Preachers - The Welsh need representation too and these riveting rockers reward with their relentless rhythmically ferocious glory. They keep putting out universally stellar stunners with sonically shimmering sentiment.

5. Saint Etienne: At first despised amongst their "Britpop" piers they got the last laugh because to this day this eclectic ensemble elevates electrifying elements with their bombastic blend of blistering beats and sunny surprises with each riveting release.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

This is mostly copy and paste.

1. Animal Collective - Haven't actually heard their other albums aside from Merriweather Post Pavilion, but I think that's one of the greatest of all time, so they are I think qualified to be in the Hall of Acclaim. I mean I see that their other albums are pretty acclaimed too, obv if they were like a one-album-wonder, it would be different. If I had to describe their sound in one word, it would be 'fresh'. Anyway, I really should listen to their other albums.
2. Jimmy Cliff - Almost as important to reggae as Bob Marley. Has done a long career of good music, but only the early stuff is recognized by critics, which is okay. Great live performer.
3. Green Day - Dookie from what I've read was groundbreaking, but I think their best album is American Idiot. A huge hit with the public, makes everything else that they've done sound worse, if you know what I mean.
4. MIA - Two great albums with really good flow, and of course Paper Planes is a really awesome song on its own.
5. Paul McCartney - Ram is so underrated, a really great album with great melodies. Band on the Run is a little overrated IMO. Then there are a few okay albums. He is kind of unlucky to have three albums bubbling under, should be a little higher on this site.
6. Gorillaz - I like them a lot better than Blur, which is weird. I think actually Plastic Beach is their best album, so they would be higher if 2010 was taken into account.
7. Billy Joel - The Stranger is a really good album. Piano Man is awesome. His 80s stuff isn't that horrible. Prolly good that he hasn't made any new stuff since 1989 though.
8. R. Kelly - I really like the Space Jam song. Ignition is good too.

Backstage:
1. Piero Scaruffi. I will edit my post tomorrow to base this.

Edit: Okay so Piero Scaruffi. I tihnk Beatles is the greatest artist of all time, but I really respect the fact that he makes half a dozen valid arguments why they're not so good. The opposite of him is that girl born in the year 1950, who just think omg Beatles they are so cute I don't care what their music sounds like. I mean if the Beatles had made crappy music, I think they would've still been reasonably popular. I wish I could explain myself better. Questions are allowed.

Also a lot of his recommended albums that he introduced to me are great. It makes sense why he would like them. His reviews are really good and informative.

That being said, in some ways he is batcrap crazy.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I feel like that
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

PlasticRam wrote:6. Gorillaz - I like them a lot better than Blur, which is weird. I think actually Plastic Beach is their best album, so they would be higher if 2010 was taken into account.
You may want to edit this...
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

PlasticRam wrote: Backstage:
1. Piero Scaruffi. I will edit my post tomorrow to base this.
Probably should, considering the feelings that Scaruffi's reviews often stir up. :mrgreen:
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Same votes as before.

1. Siouxsie and the Banshees - I'm elevating them to #1 to give them a boost. They are so much more than punk, post-punk, or goth. One of the most diverse and capable artists of the last 40 years.

2. Janet Jackson - My favorite artist not yet inducted. She defined pop music for me for awhile.

3. Kylie Minogue - Her run of albums from 1997-2003 is absolutely stunning.

4. Annie - Even with just 2 eligible albums at this point, she would threaten my top 10 of all time.

5. Brian Eno - I can't believe how long it took for me to get into him despite loving Roxy Music. A true genius.

6. Grace Jones

7. Aaliyah

8. Missy Elliott

9. Annie Lennox

10. Donna Summer
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

I'm recycling my list from last time with just a few adjustments.

1. B.B. King- Simply one of the biggest and most influential figures in blues music. His innovations on the guitar are still heard today

2. Grateful Dead- One of the most prominent figures in classic psychedelic rock. These guys inspired generations of dead-heads to come.

3. Animal Collective- These guys are simply a great indie rock icon. Strawberry Jam and Merriweather Post Pavilion is enough to qualify them for me.

4. Green Day- Influential punk band. They gave us Dookie, American Idiot, and "Good Riddance"

5. Justin Timberlake- He is by far the most important mainstream pop artists of this generation. Call him the modern day Michael Jackson if you will.

6. Brian Eno
7. Modest Mouse
8. MIA
9. Herbie Hancock
10. Paul McCartney
Last edited by Mattceinicram on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:6. Gorillaz - I like them a lot better than Blur, which is weird. I think actually Plastic Beach is their best album, so they would be higher if 2010 was taken into account.
You may want to edit this...
JimmyJazz wrote:Another thing regarding acts: Please consider their work BEFORE the year 2010 when making your choices.
I feel like that
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Almost copy/paste for me too !

1. Built to Spill
Forget Pavement, Built to Spill released the greatest indie trilogy of the 90s, with gut wrenching evocative guitar, wonderful lyrics and a constant evolution.
2. Modest Mouse
Modest Mouse is actually one of the very few bands to have in my book a trilogy that can compare with Built to Spill 90s output (from The Lonesome Crowded West to Good News For People Who Love Bad News). Both bands basically share the same qualities, Modest Mouse behind the rawer side of the coin.
3. Animal Collective
With MPP out and Hot Chip's One Life Stand still to be released, I have to give the edge to the freak folkers (I consider Feels and The Warning to be both around my #20 of all time, Strawberry Jam and Made in the Dark in the 60s or so, so MPP + Leaf House gives them the edge). They are indeed a very adventurous band, but as nicolas (who doesn't like them much said) they also sound like they are having fun, which sometimes matters to me !
4. Hot Chip
Though I like Hot Chip's next 2 albums, their best 2 had already been released at the end of 2008, putting melancholy back on the dancefloor with an obvious talent for catchy pop melodies and a knack for irresistable beats.
5. Puppetmastaz
In 2009 they released their worst album, that makes me bring them down a bit... because at the end of 2009 I was quite angry about that !
6. IAM
7. Gorillaz
8. Rage Against the Machine
9. At the Drive-In
10. Fugazi
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

1. Soda Stereo
The biggest rock band from Argentina. Excellent musicians, their surreal lyrics seem to have no apparent meaning. Rather, they have a different meaning for each person who listen to them. They did not write music, they made feelings. They were the perfect blend of romance and eroticism, passion and melancholy, popularity and quality.

2. Andrés Calamaro
Calamaro has a great ability: Even his song with the simplest melody has a complex meaning. His music have perfect structures, and each of their notes is honest. You can remove the voice to any of his songs, and the feeling that causes would probably not change. Or you could take away the music and you would stay with a very, very good poem.

3. Shonen Knife
Simple and fun songs. I've always been in love with Ritsuko Taneda. Man, she is perfect. Have any of you ever wondered what would happen if the Ramones would have been tender Japanese girls? Yes, they would have been Shonen Knife.

4. Rockdrigo González
The quintessential rock musician. (Although he played mostly folk.) He was an intellectual who changed Freud's books by a guitar and a harmonica. He played for the city, and the city itself took him. It was the main exponent of called Cave Rock (Rock Rupestre), which he describes thus:
"Not that cave musicians have escaped from the old Museum of Natural Sciences, much less, from the Museum of Anthropology, nor who have come from the hills hidden in a truck full of chickens and beans. Cave rockers is only a name that hang all those who are not very handsome, nor have tenor voice, nor compose like the great heights of aesthetic wisdom, or worse, do not have sophisticated electronic equipment full of sinters and very crazy effects to amaze the first clueless guy who passes by."

5. Café Tacvba
The best Mexican rock band. They have an advantage: They get all the influence from music in english language, plus Latin music influences. They are not only a very good band, but represent very well the Latin American culture, with all its contradictions and contrasts. The diversity of genres they have played is immense. Even David Bowie will not have time to match their wide variety of genres. And they not only play many genres ... they have played each of them brilliantly.

6. Estopa
7. Quiero Club
8. Las Ultrasónicas
9. Manu Chao
10. Joaquín Sabina
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1. Todd Rundgren/Utopia - one of the most prolific innovators for the past 40 years. My favorites by Todd include: Hello It's Me, I Saw the Light, Can We Still Be Friends, Compassion, Just One Victory, The Last Ride, Love Is the Answer, We Gotta Get You a Woman, Bang the Drum All Day, Be Nice To Me, Caravan, Chain Letter, A Dream Goes On Forever, Fidelity, Hideaway, Hope I'm Around, It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, Izaat Love?, Long Flowing Robe, No World Order, Parole, Property, Real Man, Sometimes I Don't Know What to Feel, Time Heals, Couldn't I Just Tell You, Dust In the Wind, Crybaby, Mated, Mimi Gets Mad, and The Ikon

2. Style Council - Paul Weller's vocals are sublime. My favorites include: My Ever Changing Moods, You're the Best Thing, How She Threw It All Away, Heavens Above, The Cost of Loving, Boy Who Cried Wolf, The Lodgers, and Shout to the Top

3. Allman Brothers - One of the first big time Southern Rock bands. Fantastic dual guitars from Dickie Betts and Duane Allman. My favorites include: Whipping Post, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Blue Sky, Melissa, Ramblin' Man, Southbound, and Jessica

4. Joe Jackson - eclectic performer who readily adapted to include jazz elements in his new wave masterpieces. Favorites include: You Can't Get What You Want, Breaking Us In Two, Is She Really Going Out With Him?, It's Different for Girls, Steppin' Out, Be My Number Two, Don't Wanna Be Like That, One More Time and Pretty Girls

5. Genesis - One of the more talented prog rock innovators with both Gabriel and Collins as front men. Favorites include: Behind the Lines, Home By the Sea, Throwing It All Away, Misunderstanding, In Too Deep, Taking It All Too Hard, Invisible Touch, Please Don't Ask, Turn It On Again, ABACAB and Follow You, Follow Me

6. Santana
7. Carole King
8. Yes (is yes still eligible for this vote?)
9. Joe Satriani (move the last three up one if Yes is not eligible)
10. Peter Gabriel
11. Jackson Browne
Last edited by Henry on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Strategic voting time!

1. Brian Eno (Very little needs to be said about why this man deserves to be in the Hall. One of the most important people in modern music, simply put.)
2. M.I.A. (One of the greatest music acts to emerge in the new millennium, forming a unique sound and image synthesizing hip-hop, punk, and her own South Asian heritage. A creator of passionate political messages that speak to the modern day, post-9/11 immigrant in the Western world.)
3. Nat King Cole (In many ways, one of the most important singers of the twentieth century, paving the way for smooth, cool, and suave black performers like Gaye, Brown, Cooke, and Green, and tremendous influence on the R&B genre. One of the finest voices who ever lived.)
4. Siousxie and The Banshees (A highly influential and important punk band. Very important for women in the realm of the rock and alternative genres, and great songwriting and sound.)
5. Deep Purple (Along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, the foremost architects of the hard rock/metal genre. In many ways, compared to the two previously mentioned bands, possibly the most tasteful and intelligent musically speaking.)
6. The Shangri-Las
7. Janet Jackson
8. Aphex Twin
9. Iggy Pop
10. Rage Against the Machine

Backstage vote:

Chris Blackwell
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

1. The National (Simple, the most consistent and greatest band of the past decade)
2. The Tallest Man on Earth (The only artist for whom 'The next Dylan' is not far from the mark)
3. Betty Davis (Raunchy, funky, spectacularly entertaining)
4. Richard & Linda Thompson (Creators of two of the greatest folk albums of all time)
5. Jorge Ben (Os Mutantes may be the best band, but Jorge is the greatest thing Brazil has ever produced)
6. Gene Clark
7. Little Feat
8. Townes van Zandt
9. John Fahey
10. Jackson C. Frank

Backstage:
The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Hey POLIUKS! I really, really enjoyed you last list of bands you voted for. You should vote again this time around. Maybe some of your bands have a stronger chance of being inducted this time.
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

That's what I meant to do :). Hopefully Cocteau Twins will be inducted sooner or later, with a little help from me and my friends.
1. Animal Collective - undoubtly one of the leading groups of the new millenium, at their best they manage to merge weirdness and fun and create innovative, trippy mixture (and Leaf House is, indeed, a wonderful song). With MPP already released they should waltz into the Hall.
2. Cocteau Twins - as luvulongTIM pointed out, ancestors of countless shoegaze groups... which doesn't really impress me quite as much as Elizabeth Frazer's vocals; I know, calling someone an angel is kinda pretentious, but I can't really think of better comparision this time. Anyway, they deserve credit and inclusion for both factors.
3. Tricky - no one can make druggy decadence this fascinating and seductive; Maxinquaye is currently my no. 1 for the 90s. Excellent producer too.
4. This Heat - Not the most uplifting group of all time, but their two experimental albums predate post-rock and still sound original and fresh.
5. Eno - propably the one who, objectively, deserves the inclusion most. In the past I struggled to truly get his music, but this times are (hopefully) over. Still need to get further into his output, but my favorite songs of him are propably Golden Hours and On Some Faraway Beach.
6. Albert Ayler - possibly my favorite jazz musician, with solos of rarely seen raw emotional power - I am not much of a film expert, but I think Bergman's Cries and Whispers is a good comparision; Spiritual Unity is highly recommended.
7. Derek & the Dominoes
8. Elmore James
9. Carole King
10. Santana
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

1. Os Mutantes - The best Brazilian group of 'em all, absurdist rockers whose music somehow stands the test of time better than so many of their anglo counterparts.

2. Brian Eno - He should be in on his first four albums alone...what a tremendous run.

3. Sun Ra - Of all the avant garde musicians, Sun Ra was the most truly OUT, in sound and vision and character. Just the sheer amount of great records he realized over a 3-decade period should get him in immediately.

4. The Ronettes - Maybe the best girl group of them all.

5. Gil Scott-Heron - The true progenitor of rap, but with great songs that also bridge into jazz. His entire '70s output is worth checking out, and it's curious that he isn't feted more.

6. Boredoms - Starting out as true guerrilla art, the amazing moment was when they morphed into a far east, turn of the millennium Can.

7. The Shangri-Las - How are they not in already?
8. Caetano Veloso - A master
9. Prefab Sprout - Some of the best pop songwriting ever, really
10. This Heat
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Ok folks, I'm going to be off the radar for a bit. This means that I'm leaving this poll open for an extended time period. The poll will close at 8:00 PM on Sunday UTC.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

My votes are almost verbatim from last "year," with the addition of Brian Eno, who for some reason I thought was already in under performers.

1. Aphex Twin

Not the first electronic artist by any stretch, but definitely the one responsible for bringing electronica into the modern age. For about ten years there, his output was unimpeachable, and is still wildly influential.

2. Iggy Pop

Sure, he's already in for the Stooges. But I think Iggy is deserving for a solo entry as well; The Idiot and Lust for Life are both excellent albums, and "The Passenger" is one of my favorite songs.

3. Brian Eno

He should get in for composing the Windows start-up sound alone, right? :D More seriously, his influence on electronic and ambient music is profound, and for a brief time there in the 70s he was successfully navigating a line between academic minimalism and popular dance music.

4. Jefferson Airplane

Surprised that they're not in. They burned out quickly, but for a brief moment there in the late 60s they were one of the best psychedelic acts around, and their ability to mesh this psychedelia with their pop sensibilities makes them worthy of admission.

5. Rage Against the Machine

Don't blame them for the rap rock sludge that followed. They did it the right way, with real anger and conviction, and their recent number one in Britain for "Killing in the Name" shows that they are symbolic of a wider musical populism and anger against cookie-cutter music.

6. Faust

The most enigmatic of the Krautrockers, which is saying a lot, considering the genre. They could do minimalistic drone music, such as their collaboration with Tony Conrad, but could also thread together quickly-changing music that was anything but minimal, such as The Faust Tapes.

7. Yo La Tengo

No one album is really a masterpiece, but they've been remarkably consistent for decades.

8. Dire Straits

I think they're an underrated band, with some good songwriting and (naturally) excellent guitar work from Knopfler.

Backstage nominees:
1. Robert Moog - Inventor of the synthesizer, which is easily as influential on popular music as the electric guitar.
2. Ryan Schreiber - founder of Pitchfork, which (like it or not) defined Internet music criticism.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

1. Brian Eno - one of the best music creators of all time, he would make it both off of his own work and as a producer

2. Aphex Twin - like a Miles Davis for electronic music, always innovating and changing his sound

3. Robert Wyatt - a legend who released great albums over multiple decades...if Scott Walker is in, where's Wyatt?

4. Stereolab - the best sounding group of the 90s, if not ever. They released great music nearly every year from `92-`00

5. Yes - the most critically underrated group ever in my opinion. At their peak, their musicianship was second only to King Crimson and their sound could take you to another world. The fact that they are cheesy should not be held against them--do we hold it against the Flaming Lips?

6. Faust - Can and Kraftwerk are in...now it's time for Faust and Neu! While Faust is grouped in with the general krautrock scene, they sounded like no one else. Listen to how ridiculously creative their first few albums were

7. Boards of Canada - Maybe they should wait a couple years to get in since they did release an excellent album in 2013, but their legacy was cemented well before that.

8. Fugazi - Repeater and The Argument are their only two albums I've really gotten into, but that's enough to put them in. They're a legendary band in the alternative/indie/punk space.

9. Mercury Rev - Like Stereolab, they're the sound of the 90s to me, releasing four albums ranging from very good to great across very different styles. Their peak was just as strong as the Flaming Lips, though they didn't have the longevity.

10. The Zombies - While you can say their output's a little thin, several classic singles + one all time great album is better than what several of the inducted acts from the 60s have. I will be vouching for them more as time goes on.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Let me first say that I was very pleased with the inductions last week/year. I voted for Nina Simone and Serge Gainsbourg, and Sigur Ros and Dusty Springfield were excellent choices too.

Like most others I'm copying most of my comments from last round.

1. Ennio Morricone - I love film music and Morricone is my favorite composer. His scores for Leone's Dollar trilogy (including of course "The Good the Bad and the Ugly") and "Once Upon a Time in the West" are absolute classics.
2. Low - Another artist that has gained popularity here lately, and deservedly so. The slowcore masters.
3. Brian Eno - He's got two songs in my all-time top 25 ("By This River" and "Golden Hours"). I'm surprised the latter isn't considered a stand-out from "Another Green World". I love his ambient stuff too. He's got so many strings to his bow!
4. Dead Can Dance - I've known and liked this band for a long time, but they really clicked with me earlier this year. Totally unique. Well, they have many followers but no one can match them.
5. Astor Piazzolla - In 2008, I voted for Piazzolla basically on the merit of "Libertango" and the "Tango: Zero Hour" album. Since then I've discovered several other songs that are equally great, such as "Adios Nonino" and "Oblivion".
6. Orchestra Baobab
7. Genesis
8. Iron Maiden
9. Prefab Sprout
10. Judas Priest
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Poll closed. Results will be unveiled sometime tomorrow.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I added some comments so my vote is actually eligible.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Go Soda!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Blanco wrote:Go Soda!
I would feel a little bad if Soda made it with only two n°1 spots, but that's the rules of the game. If the votes keep on being so fragmented, Soda, Bashung and Calamaro might actually make it in during the next rounds.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

The 2010 induction page is coming soon guys (just been very busy, apologies), but I'll announce the four inductees here: Brian Eno, Animal Collective, Aphex Twin, and (thanks to Blanco and Pierre), Soda Stereo! Additionally, we have a backstage inductee this week/year: Chris Blackwell.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Cool. So POLIUKS we might stand a chance next time. Your Animal Collective vote got them inducted so if we both put Cocteau Twins as our #1 they could finally get the respect and placement in music history that they so deserve. :happy-partydance:
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Pierre wrote:
Blanco wrote:Go Soda!
I would feel a little bad if Soda made it with only two n°1 spots, but that's the rules of the game. If the votes keep on being so fragmented, Soda, Bashung and Calamaro might actually make it in during the next rounds.
Yes, exactly. I agree with you. Although I believe that under the circumstances, there will be more strategic votes each time, so I guess that remedied the situation. But yes, that means that will be inducted those artists whose voters know how to vote strategically, rather than those who actually have popular acclaim in the forum. A Yay! and a Boo...

So in the next week/year the competition will be more hard-fought, I guess. Which makes it more interesting. I have a feeling that there will be a draw.
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

luvulongTIM wrote:Cool. So POLIUKS we might stand a chance next time. Your Animal Collective vote got them inducted so if we both put Cocteau Twins as our #1 they could finally get the respect and placement in music history that they so deserve. :happy-partydance:
Hopefully! However, I find the complete lack of other votes for Cocteau Twins a bit weird - they have established position in music history and AMF doesn't seem to have a particular bias against them (from what I remember Treasure did quite good in its year poll). Some people in my country simply adore them - Fraser was voted the best female singer of all time by Porcys (and not without a reason!).
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Poliuks wrote:
luvulongTIM wrote:Cool. So POLIUKS we might stand a chance next time. Your Animal Collective vote got them inducted so if we both put Cocteau Twins as our #1 they could finally get the respect and placement in music history that they so deserve. :happy-partydance:
Hopefully! However, I find the complete lack of other votes for Cocteau Twins a bit weird - they have established position in music history and AMF doesn't seem to have a particular bias against them (from what I remember Treasure did quite good in its year poll). Some people in my country simply adore them - Fraser was voted the best female singer of all time by Porcys (and not without a reason!).
Exactly!!!!! And people have the nerve to actually say they can't stand her voice? Which all this emotionless nonsense that comes out of indie music. And the music that tries to have emotion just plain has terrible vocals especially the folksy low fi songwriter stuff. Massive Attack loved her so much they picked her OVER Madonna to sing on their masterpiece Mezzinine. In fact SHE WROTE Teardrop about the death of her ex Jeff Buckey so that proves she really can write. She hates it but she's nicknamed the Voice of God. And Robin just play the most beatiful melodic hooks you can imagine. To say they were ahead of their time is such an understatement. They invented shoegaze before it was even called shoegaze. With MBV finally releasing an acclaimed album this year all the raves over this one and of course Loveless and all those accolades I hear about them can be said just as easily about the Cocteau Twins.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

luvulongTIM wrote:
Poliuks wrote:
Exactly!!!!! And people have the nerve to actually say they can't stand her voice? Which all this emotionless nonsense that comes out of indie music. And the music that tries to have emotion just plain has terrible vocals especially the folksy low fi songwriter stuff. Massive Attack loved her so much they picked her OVER Madonna to sing on their masterpiece Mezzinine. In fact SHE WROTE Teardrop about the death of her ex Jeff Buckey so that proves she really can write. She hates it but she's nicknamed the Voice of God. And Robin just play the most beatiful melodic hooks you can imagine. To say they were ahead of their time is such an understatement. They invented shoegaze before it was even called shoegaze. With MBV finally releasing an acclaimed album this year all the raves over this one and of course Loveless and all those accolades I hear about them can be said just as easily about the Cocteau Twins.
I love Liz Fraser, but it's not more wrong for someone to say they can't stand her voice than for you to say you can't stand Tom Waits or Stephen Malkmus. To each their own you know. What I'm saying is that you would get more people to listen to the music you recommend if you didn't attack someone else or another genre at the same time.

In my book, the only really great about Cocteau Twins is "Treasure" and (again) Liz Fraser's voice, and that's not enough for my top 10 ballot, but I definitely wouldn't mind them getting in.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Ok!Ok! New Years Resolution. I'm gonna do a lot more tongue biting when it come to bands and songwriters I think are insanely overhyped. If I go blind I'll blame it on you guys for having my eyes rolling constantly. LOL! UNLESS others do it like in the polls. Than the gloves are off. I'm a follower, what can I say;) :mrgreen:
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Post by Letmerollittoyou »

Plastic Ram, I'm probably going to be misjudged for posting this much information,but I know * a lot * about The Beatles since I've been studying about them since I was 11 years old. You incomprehensibly claimed that even though you consider The Beatles the greatest artists of all time,Piero Scaruffi gives at least a half a dozen reasons why they are not so good.

Here is An Excellent Rebuttal Of Popular Music Reviewer Piero Scaruffi's Popular Horrible Lies About The Beatles

I recently found this great blog post by a guitar player and musically academically knowledgeable guy debunking the totally ignorant,ludicrous hateful lies by cognitive scientist and music critic Piero Scaruffi about The Beatles that ignorant Beatles haters calling them a talentless boy band,are quoting on so many sites for many years now and still are.This guy very accurately points out what I knew from the moment that I read Scaruffi's garbage back in 2001,he says that Scaruffi tells consistent and deliberate lies about what The Beatles did,how they were regarded and what they were attempting to do,and that the lies he tells are a deliberate and consistent effort to make The Beatles look overrated to people.

https://factorysunburst.wordpress.com/2 ... omment-517

Here is another very good rebuttal of him by a different guy in 2009.

http://www.last.fm/es/user/RadioheadOas ... he_beatles

On a heavy metal site someone posted Scaruffi's horrible inaccurate bullsh*t about The Beatles and a guy said that Scaruffi made up contrived bullsh*t about The Beatles and that a lot of people think he knows what he's talking about because he's a cognitive scientist.Many people elsewhere have said that Scaruffi just made up most of this bullsh*t,he made all of it up,the only facts he got right are John,Paul,George,Ringo,George Martin and Brian Epstein's names and when someone makes up that many lies about a subject you really can't trust them especially about that subject at all.

I actually emailed this idiot Scaruffi back in 2001 to try to debunk his ignorant lies about The Beatles,and he emailed me back three times,and I was civil to him,(which wasn't easy,and I had to control myself from not cursing him,but I know that wasn't going to work to get through to him) and he was civil to me too,but you just can't get through to him.He actually said that he thought I'm one of the most intelligent Beatles fans he ever communicated with because I never mentioned The Beatles record sales as to why they are great and he actually claimed that this all the majority of Beatles fans said to him,that they sold the most records,which he denies that they did in his horrid article. I don't believe him at all I'm sure that a lot of knowledgeable fans did inform him of a lot of academic and music scholarship that debunks his stupid,horrible lies but he just doesn't want to recognize it because he irrationally hates The Beatles and he wants everyone else to hate them too .

A guy on the site Future Legends in the section on The Beatles said in 2008 when someone posted Scaruffi's lies about The Beatles,that most of the article is not factual,and that it's the worst hatchet job he's ever read.
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Here is a very good educational you tube video by Mean MrMayo who is a member of The Beatles fan site,Abbryd debunking this stupid,ridiculous,ludicrous myth that The Beatles were ever a boy band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmVlDCm5NOU

And,

Here is a 2011 amazon.com customer discussion where quite a few posters especially DK Pete do a very good job debunking this totally ignorant nonsense calling The Beatles a boy band,after a moron started this (unfortunately common) discussion,The Beatles Were The First Boy Band!

https://www.amazon.com/forum/music/ref= ... CJDLBBOKZR

Even in this 2011 discussion asking this totally stupid,ignorant,ludicrous question if The Beatles were a boy band,people who said they aren't even Beatles fans know it's absolute nonsense to call them a boy band,and as one of the fans said,The Beatles are the most talented,forward thinking bands and to call them a boy band is a complete insult to The Beatles.Another said they do have a problem with them being called this,because they are nothing like boy bands musically and it's derogatory.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthre ... 330&page=3

The Beatles were *NEVER* a ''boy band''! As a poster Reverend Rock,who is a rock musician,reverend and a big Beatles fan said on a classic rock site years ago,that anyone who knows The Beatles history knows it's ludicrous to even *suggest* such a thing! And what a huge insult to their enormous talent as true singers,song writers and musicians! The Beatles were a *zillion* times more talented and cool than any stupid,uncool,untalented real boy band!

The Monkees are the first true boy band because they didn't even start off as a genuine band, they were all musical but they were originally hired as actors to play members of a TV pop rock band for their TV show, they didn't start off playing together like Paul at age 15,George age 14 and John age 16 playing guitars and singing,then playing a few years later for 8 hours a night in sleazy strip clubs( and The Beatles had sex with many young women groupies,many who were teen girls and strippers) like The Beatles did in Hamburg Germany(or anywhere) for 2 years in a row,taking speed pills to stay awake to do it,and working their a*ses off playing as a real rock n roll band,and then playing successfully in the Cavern club as a real rock n roll band for years by the time they made it big.

And The Beatles wrote and played a lot of great rock n roll and pop rock songs in their early days. John and Paul wrote the rock n roll song I Wanna Be Your Man write in front of Keith Richards and Mick Jagger in 1963 and they were both really impressed that they could just write a song just like that,and it inspired them to start writing their own songs and both bands became good friends from then on. And this song was one of The Rolling Stones first hits.

There is just no comparison to The Monkees etc. A guy so accurately said on a message board many years ago when some idiots called them a ''boy band'' that The Beatles were *never* a boy band,not even during their 1963-1965 period. And another guy said a few years after this on another forum,when some idiot said this,that he too once thought the early Beatles were a boy band like NYSNC,or The Back Street Boys,until he got out of 7th grade.

Every time some ignorant person unjustly calls them a boy band,I'm sure John Lennon's ashes must be turning with outrage.I'm sure he would go on to these sites and say I was *not* the founder and the leader of some f*king,stupid,uncool,untalented, boy band get that through your stupid f*cking heads!

And younger people don't know what type of music was out in 1963,even though I wasn't born yet,I know that The Beatles early songs like She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand were hard rock compared to the music out then.There was just Bobby Darin,The Four Seasons,Bobby Vinton and The Beach Boys surfing hits.

Not only is this so ignorant,ridiculous,and false on a creative and musical level,but on their personal level too. I guarantee true genuine boy bands don't have groupies.

The Beatles had sex with *tons* of young women groupies,many who were just teen girls especially during their touring years of 1963-1966 ironically they did this the most during the joke fake cleaned up image Brian Epstein created for them in their early days.In reality they were like pimps playing the part of priests! It's no coincidence that in The Beatles Anthology video series that Paul,George and Ringo made,the story that is reported of The Beatles being thrown out of a US hotel in August 1965 because Paul was found in his hotel bedroom with an underage girl, that is included in the first great Beatles documentary from 1982 The Complete Beatles which none of them had any involvement making,is completely left out of The Beatles Anthology.

Paul McCartney also said in Hunter Davies 1968 first edition of the only authorized Beatles biography called,The Beatles, that he had sex at age 15 with a girl who was older and bigger than him,and most 15 year old boys weren't having sex in 1957,and he said he bragged about it to his classmates the next day and that he was the first one in his class to have sex.Paul also said in this book,that he would go into strip clubs at only 13 and he was the lad in his class that drew nude women.He also got another girl who was his girl friend,pregnant when he was 17 and she was 16,and Paul's father and her parents wanted them to get married but she had a miscarriage.

Hunter Davies says in his 1985 update of his Beatles biography, that The Beatles were no different from any other rock band when it came to groupies and he said they just had more to chose from. He said it was up to the road manager to say to these young women,you,you and you 5 minutes later which is really sexist and disgusting but it's totally typical for every rock band which is what they always were.

From Me To You,and especially She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand were praised by some music critics even from the beginning,like William Mann of The London Times in December 1963 pointed out their interesting unusual chords and arrangements and London Times music critic Richard Buckle also in late 1963 called John and Paul the greatest composers since Beethoven after they wrote the music for a play Mods and Rockers.

Bob Dylan ,Roger McGuinn of The Byrds as early as 1963 and 1964 pointed out that even in early Beatles songs like She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand had unusual and interesting chords and they arranged them.

Here in this article about The Beatles chords,Bob Dylan is quoted saying what he thought in 1964 about The early Beatles music,he said that they were doing things nobody was doing and that their chords were outrageous,just outrageous and their harmonies made it all valid.

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/VOL ... ords.shtml

Here in Rolling Stone Magazine's 100 Greatest Song Writers Bob Dylan is number 1,Paul McCartney is number 2, and John Lennon is number 3, Bob Dylan is quoted about a car trip when he heard a lot of Beatles songs on the radio, he said they were doing things and that he knew they were pointing the direction where music had to go.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... ohn-lennon

Roger McGuinn has said that he started to play a 12 string guitar after he saw and heard George Harrison playing in in the A Hard Day's Night movie.He also said that The Beatles unusually used folk rock chords in their pop rock and rock n roll music and he said they invented folk rock without knowing it.

And John and Paul wrote one of The Rolling Stones first hits the rock n roll song, I Wanna Be Your Man in late 1963 right in front of them. And Keith Richards and Mick Jagger were impressed and said wow,how can you write a song just like that and it inspired them to start writing their own songs and both bands became good friends from then on.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney were such amazingly talented singer song writers that they were already writing hit songs for other artists as early as 1963 when their own song writing success was getting off the ground,besides The Rolling Stones,they also wrote hit songs in 1963 for Billy J.Krammer and The Dakatos,Celia Black,and Peter and Gordon etc.

Paul wrote his first song at age 14 and was playing guitar,John wrote heavy deep poetry but didn't start writing songs until he met Paul and was impressed that he wrote his own songs,and he too started to write his own songs at age 16,and they wrote together and never stopped from then on. Paul wrote the very pretty song I'll Follow The Sun at only 16.Even when The Beatles first came to America in February 1964 many people said how rare it was for *adult* rock n roll bands and solo artists to write their own songs,and Paul and John were already doing this as teenagers in the mid 1950's.

And even though I wasn't born yet in 1963 I know what type of music was popular on the radio,non rock n roll songs like Bobby Vinton,The Four Seasons,Bobby Darin and The Beach Boys surfing hits,The early Beatles songs like She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand and I Saw Her Standing there etc were hard rock for 1963 and ahead of their time.

The Beatles even in their early days were writing and playing on records as well in concerts,both love ballads,and great rocking rock n roll and pop rock songs that they both wrote and cover songs including their great rocking performances in Sweden where the audience was quiet during their performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDAJ ... WFOO9CWfUQ

I have tons of great strong information that totally debunks Scaruffi's extremely ignorant,ludicrous lies about The Beatles.To debunk the countless ignorant lies Scaruffi writes about The Beatles,The Beatles were very good musicians and they got that way from playing 8 hours a night for 2 years in a row in the sleazy strip clubs in Hamburg Germany and then they played live successfully in The Cavern Club for years before they started recording their first album.They were also very innovative in the recording studio and countless well known successful rock and other types of musicians have and still call them The greatest band ever and call John Lennon and Paul McCartney the two the greatest song writers of the 20th century,over their own bands and solo selves etc etc.They also did write many songs about drugs and more than a few about sex etc.

As The All Music Guide says in their excellent Beatles biography "That it's difficult to summarize their career without restating cliches that have already been digested by tens of millions of rock fans, to start with the obvious,they were the greatest and most influential act of the rock era and introduced more innovations into popular music than any other rock band of the 20th century."

"Moreover they were among the few artists of *any* discipline that were simultaneously the best at what they did *and* the most popular at what they did." They also say as singers John Lennon and Paul McCartney were among the best and most expressive in rock.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-beat ... /biography

Also on an excellent site,The Evolution of Rock Bass Playing McCartney Style by Dennnis Alstrand,Stanley Clarke,Sting,Will Lee,Billy Sheehan,George Martin and John Lennon are quoted saying what a great,melodic and influential bass player Paul has always been.

http://www.alstrand.com/evolution/evolution.html

And Wilco's John Stirratt was asked in Bass Player which bass players have had the most impact on his playing and the first thing he said was, Paul McCartney is one of the greatest bass players of all time,if you listen to what he was tracking live in the studio it's unbelievable." "With his tone and musicality he was a huge influence,he covered all of his harmonic responsibilities really well but his baselines were absolutely melodic and inventive."

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/artic ... oots-wilco

In this 2010 interview the blogger says that John Stirratt has an affinity for good melodies so it's not surprising that Paul McCartney is one of his musical icons and then he quotes him saying that he's always absolutely in awe of his playing,including Paul's Beatles years.

http://audreeanne.blogspot.com/2010/02/ ... -talk.html

And in an online 1977 Eric Clapton interview,Eric Clapton In His Own Words he says that there was always this game between John and George,and he said partly because John was a pretty good guitar player himself

http://www.superseventies.com/ssericclapton.html . He played live with John as a member of John's 1969 Plastic Ono Band.

And there is a great online article by musician and song writer Peter Cross,The Beatles Are The Most Creative Band Of All Time and he says that many musicians besides him recognize Paul as one of the best bass guitar players ever.He too says that John and Paul are the greatest song composers and that to say that John and Paul are among 2 of the greatest singers in rock and roll is to state the obvious,and that John,Paul and George were all excellent guitarists and that George is underrated by people not educated about music but that Eric Clapton knew better,he also says that both John and Paul played great leads as well as innovative rhythm tracks.

John Lennon co-wrote,sang and played guitar on one of David Bowie's first hits Fame in 1975 and David invited John to play guitar on his version of John's beautiful Beatles song Across The Universe.Brain May,Ozzy Osbourne,and Liam Gallagher and many more call The Beatles The Greatest Band Ever.'

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Beatles-a ... &id=222245

Also on MusicRadar Tom Petty,Joe Perry and Richie Sambora in What The Beatles Mean To Me all say how cool and great they thought The Beatles were when they first saw them on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964 when they were just teen boys,Richie was only 5.Tom Petty said he thought they were really really great.

Robin Zander of Cheap Trick said he's probably one of the biggest Beatles fans on the planet.Brad Whitford of Aerosmith said that a lot of that Beatles influence comes from Steven Tyler's collaboration with Mark Hudson both whom are absolute Beatles freaks and he said I guess the goal is to try and emulate probably some of the best music of the last 50 years which has to be The Beatles.

They were the greatest *rock* band ever! (NEVER A G*d dam*ed stupid,uncool,untalented boy band as so many ignorant morons misperceive them as!) And I have always loved this great blues rocker by Paul,She's A Woman.

Except live there isn't the piano,blending with the great rocking guitars,Paul's great prominent booming bass,and his great rock vocal! And once again it's amazing how good they sound on such limited,primitive sound systems of the time and with no feedback monitors so they couldn't even hear themselves singing and playing,yet they still played and sang great and in sync with each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNgLiPyuCY

Here is their great April 1965 New Music Express Winner's Poll concert from April 11,1965.They won three years in a row.And notice that there are men and women of ages in the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COSSsu1GSCk

Here they performed Paul's great rocking I Saw Her Standing There in Sweden in October 1963 which The Beatles recorded in February 1963 on their first album Please Please Me which was recorded in just one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkySom9bTfM

The Beatles performing their rocking cover of Long Tall Sally with Paul's great rocking vocal June 1964.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiXtk296YmE

Here in 1964 June in Melbourne Australia they are playing John's great rock song that they had recorded in February 1964 on their first great early album A Hard Day's Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Dpt7TI9q0

And here they performed Paul's very good hard rocking,especially for early 1965,I'm Down at The Ed Sulivian Theater August 14,1965 one night before their live Shea Stadium performance.

https://vimeo.com/133531241

Here is their even harder rocking performance at Shea Stadium on August 15,1965 than they did on their record version of Paul's I'm Down. And they did what a great rock n roll band would do,they ended this rock n roll concert with this rocking song.

https://vimeo.com/146526352

Here they performed a rocking cover of Dizzy Miss Lizzy with John's great rock vocal,at the same She Stadium concert.

https://vimeo.com/14652584

Here is another great rocking Beatles performance of the cover Twist and Shout in June 1964 in Melbourne Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdIzcm95NCM

And what a huge disgusting insult to all of them as very talented musicians,and to John and Paul as extremely talented song composers and great singers,and to John Lennon's memory and was never the founder and leader of some stupid,uncool,untalented boy band! And I'm certain that if John were still living he would come on youtube and other message boards and say I was *never* the founder and leader of any f**king stupid,uncool,untalented boy band get that through your stupid f**king heads!

If Beethoven,Mozart and Bach had screaming teenage girls in their audiences and they formed a band together they would have been a boy band too right?

Award winning classical composer and music professor Dr.Glen Gass's Beatles course he's been teaching since 1982 and he's been teaching a course in rock music in general since then.

http://courses.music.indiana.edu/rock/beatles.html

31 Year old Beatles and music scholar Arron Krerowicz plays many instruments & writes his own music too

http://www.aaronkrerowicz.com/faq.html

The early Beatles lyrics were more simple but a lot of their early music was actually much more complex. Just one of many examples I always loved this very early John song written and recorded in 1962 Ask Me Why.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ex-epsPWoc

I have always loved this great beautiful song written by John,with such typical beautiful melodies and harmonies John and Paul usually wrote,and John's usual beautiful singing voice.And this was amazingly recorded in 1962 on only two track tape! with such limited,primitive recording technology but it of course still sounds great.Except I hate mono it's limited sounding and only makes their already limited recording technology sound even more limited.I tried to find the stereo version of this song on youtube but I couldn't find it.

Here university of Pennsylvania musicologist Alan W.Pollack who did an 11 year extensive analysis of every one of the 200 Beatles songs,analyzes Ask Me Why and explains that it's structurally complex.

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DAT ... /amw.shtml

Here is Alan's whole Beatles song analysis series

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DAT ... s_on.shtml

Both VH1 and MTV have been using Richie Unterberger's excellent All Music Guide’s long Beatles biography as their Beatles biography they both used to not have a very good biography of The Beatles.Here are great Beatles biographies that totally debunk this totally stupid,inaccurate,ludicrous,ridiculous myth that they were ever a ‘’boy band’’.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-beat ... /biography

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles

The Beatles own documentary The Beatles Anthology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJczmuZ ... Z-OeU#t=13

The great 1982 Beatles documentary,The Complete Beatles narrated by award winning British actor Malcolm McDowell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG8GbhS ... 51&index=2

And any great reputable accurate Beatles biography would debunk this ludicrous,stupid myth.And I have *never* read or heard *any* legitimate serious rock critics or rock music journalists describe them this way and for extremely great reasons.
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Ozzy Osbourne has been a big Beatles fan since he was an early teenager,and he picked She Loves You as one of his favorite songs for Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest songs and Sgt.Pepper is one o his favorite albums. He says that not loving The Beatles is like not loving oxygen and he called The Beatles the greatest band to ever walk the earth.

Here Ozzy Osbourne says that he doesn't anyone will ever be as great as The Beatles and he said they were all great,even George Harrison and Ringo Starr were great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD0_MtCDcQQ

Here is a video of Ozzy Osbourne meets Paul McCartney for the first time and they hug each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkudA0P27Q0

Here Ozzy Osbourne says how hearing She Loves You at age 15 inspired him to go into music.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/enter ... 20049.html
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

In 2010 I read an online article that had an interview with Ernie Isley of The Isley Brothers about a recent tribute to Jimi Hendrix, in which he says that Jimi played for The Isley Brothers & lived with them & that they & he were fans of The Fab Four from the moment they all watched them on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964. I always thought that Jimi was only a later period Beatles fan,I knew he played Sgt.Pepper live the weekend it came out,& he played Day Tripper live also,& several people on different message boards said that when he was asked where the direction of music was going,he said ask The Beatles.
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

In this 2008 interview asking Keith Richards who the five greatest bands ever are besides The Rolling Stones,he said obviously he put The Beatles in there. This was 6 years of course before he ridiculously criticized The Beatles brilliant Sgt.Pepper album that The Rolling Stones tried but failed to copy and equal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNKckhYqNBk
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Bob Dylan talks of Beatles friendship

Legend admits: 'I'm in awe of McCartney'

May 16, 2007

Bob Dylan has spoken in depth about his longstanding friendship with The Beatles and his particular bond with George Harrison.

Talking to Rolling Stone magazine, Dylan talked freely about Harrison’s struggle to find his voice within the songwriting collective of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

"George got stuck with being the Beatle that had to fight to get songs on records because of Lennon and McCartney. Well, who wouldn’t get stuck?" he asked.

Dylan highlighted the writing talents of Harrison, saying: "If George had had his own group and was writing his own songs back then, he’d have been probably just as big as anybody."

Speaking against popular belief, the singer also denounced any rumors of competitiveness towards Lennon and McCartney, asserting, "They were fantastic singers. Lennon, to this day, it’s hard to find a better singer than Lennon was, or than McCartney was and still is."

Nodding his cap to McCartney in particular, Dylan concluded: "I’m in awe of McCartney. He’s about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he’s never let up... He’s just so damn effortless.''

http://www.nme.com/news/bob-dylan/28350
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

This 1999 review of Mark Lewisohn's excellent Beatles studio diary book where many of The Beatles recording engineers and tape operators and their producer George Martin are interviewed (and it shows how truly innovative,brilliant and creative especially John and Paul were in the recording studio),The Beatles Recording Sessions titled, Behind The Creative Genius Of A Groundbreaking Band by a musician himself says it all, he says that as a musician he found Mark Lewisohn's portrayal of The Beatles genius and in parenthesis he says, especially that of John Lennon and Paul McCartney, to be completely thorough and accurate, as well as insightful. He then says if you are to buy any one Beatles book,buy this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... 1454910054

And this reviewer RAS who became a big Beatles fan after he read The Beatles Recording Sessions book,said,I think The Beatles ARE BRILLIANT and he said he despairs what his life would be like without The Beatles!! He said that when he first saw this book,he said Oh another garbage Beatles book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Beat ... geNumber=2
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Award winning classical composer and music professor Dr.Glen Gass's Beatles course he's been teaching since 1982 and he's been teaching a course in rock music in general since then.

http://courses.music.indiana.edu/rock/beatles.html

http://info.music.indiana.edu/faculty/c ... lenn.shtml
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

31 Year old Beatles academic and music scholar Arron Krerowicz plays many instruments & writes his own music too

http://www.aaronkrerowicz.com/faq.html
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Also, classical composer Leonard Bernstein called John and Paul the greatest composers of the 20th century so did Elton John on a 1991 CBS Morning news show,he was asked who he musically admires and he said you can talk about your Rogers and Hammerstein but for the quanity of quality songs that Lennon and McCartney wrote in that short period of time,he said he thinks they were the greatest song writers of the 20th century.Brian Wilson said this too on a 1995 Nightline Beatles tribute show. The Beatles are in the Vocal Hall of Fame and John and Paul have been in the song writing Hall of Fame since 1987,Keith Richards and Mick Jagger have been in it since 1993,but as of now no members of The Who,or Led Zeppelin are in The Song Writing Hall Of Fame or The Vocal Hall Of Fame,The Rolling Stones aren't in The Vocal Hall of Fame either and The Beatles were awarded about 20 prestigious Ivor Novello awards as great singers and song writers in just a remarkable 8 year recording career,John and Paul won the first one in early 1964.

They also won an Oscar for their film score of their 1970 film Let It Be.
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

8 Schools (Universities) That Offer Classes On The Beatles

http://blog.cappex.com/blog/college-ran ... e-beatles/
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Also in an excellent Beatles book Ticket To Ride by Denny Somach where so many other well known popular respected rock musicians and artists are interviewed about The Beatles praising them including Jimmy Page,Brian Wilson who says he's always loved The Beatles. And Brian Wilson called John & Paul the greatest song writers of the 20th century on a 1995 Nightline Beatles tribute show,(which had on music artists from every type of music,a young black jazz musician,a middle aged black opera singer,Steve Winwood,Meatloaf,and classical violinist Isak Perleman,who said he plays his children Bach,Beethoven Mozart and The Beatles)and he played With A Little Help From My Friends on the piano and he said he just loves this song. He also said that Sgt.Pepper is the greatest album he ever heard and The All Music Guide says in their Beach Boys biography,that Brian had a nervous breakdown after he heard it. Brian also said that when he first heard The Beatles brilliant 1965 folk rock album Rubber Soul he was blown away by it.He said all of the songs flowed together and it was pop music but folk rock at the same time and he couldn't believe they did this so great,this inspired him to make Pet Sounds.

John Lodge and Justin of The Moody Blues are interviewed in this book and Bill Wyman and Ron Wood says how The Rolling Stones became good friends with The Beatles in 1963 after John and Paul wrote 1 of their first hits,the Rock n Roll song,I Wanna Be You're Man.

Ron Wood was asked what his favorite Beatles songs and he said there are so many apart from the obvious like Strawberry Fields I Want To Hold Your Hand is one he said he used to like a lot ,and he said he really loved We Can Work It Out.He also says that The Beatles used to have a radio show every Friday where they played live and spoke and he would never miss an episode. He said in fact whoever has the rights to those shows should dig them up,because they are incredible.

Justin Hayward says that the album he always really loved ,and he said it was when they started experimenting with chord structures ,was A Hard Day's Night.He says they began to move away from the standard 3 chord thing and just went into more interesting structures .He said A Hard Day's Night was the album for him and their song If I Fell was the song.He said it started in a different key to how it ended up,and it's a beautifully worked out song and that there are some songs on that album that were very emotional and evocative. He said that for everybody just starting to write songs as he was,it was a real turn on and eye opener.
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

University Of Berklee Multi-talented Musician,Guitar Teacher,First Female Guitar Teacher,And Now Music Professor Has Loved The Beatles Since She Saw Them On The ED Sullivan Show When She Was 4 Years Old.

https://www.berklee.edu/news/4635/meet-the-beatle

https://www.berklee.edu/people/lauren-passarelli
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Bass Player & Berklee Music Professor Suzane M.Clark Teaches Courses On The Beatles,Solo Beatles & Music Of John Lennon

https://www.berklee.edu/people/suzanne-m-clark
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

University Of Southern California Music Professor And Musician,Bill Biersach Has Always Been A Huge Beatles Fan & And Has Been Teaching A Beatles Course For 40 Years.

https://music.usc.edu/bill-biersach-40- ... s-and-usc/

http://dailytrojan.com/2012/04/16/popul ... roversial/
Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Great Beatles Course By Music Professor John Covach University Of Rochester he is also a musician and plays in a Beatles tribute band

https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-beatles

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”