Dev Patel - Lion
Michael Shannon - Nocturnal Animals

Best Supporting Actress

Viola Davis - Fences
Naomie Harris - Moonlight
Nicole Kidman - Lion
Michelle Williams - Manchester by the Sea
Octavia Spencer - Hidden Figures
Last edited by letmeintomyzone on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: Oscars 2017 Discussion

Post by babydoll »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Meryl Streep is not that good of an actress. Definitely did not deserve 20 nominations.

Poor Amy Adams got gypped.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Letmeintomyzone you missed the frontrunner in the Best Picture category.

Where is La La Land?
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. Meryl Streep is not that good of an actress. Definitely did not deserve 20 nominations.

It's hard for me to say whether Meryl is that good or not since I have one movie of her's all the way thru: Devil Wears Prada and she was good in it. Her movies just never interest me. I just keep thinking she must be really great to have as many noms as she gets.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

bootsy wrote:
babydoll wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. Meryl Streep is not that good of an actress. Definitely did not deserve 20 nominations.

It's hard for me to say whether Meryl is that good or not since I have one movie of her's all the way thru: Devil Wears Prada and she was good in it. Her movies just never interest me. I just keep thinking she must be really great to have as many noms as she gets.
Honestly, I never thought Meryl was a bad actress. She's actually quite good. However, the praise is ridiculous. She's so technical that it makes her distant, less emotive, at times. It's obvious in my favorite Meryl movie, The Bridges of Madison County. It works really well for The Devil Wore Prada, and to a lesser extent, The Iron Lady.

You should check some of her movies out. Like The Deer Hunter - her first Academy Award nomination. The only one you should avoid at all costs is Out of Africa.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:
bootsy wrote:

Honestly, I never thought Meryl was a bad actress. She's actually quite good. However, the praise is ridiculous. She's so technical that it makes her distant, less emotive, at times. It's obvious in my favorite Meryl movie, The Bridges of Madison County. It works really well for The Devil Wore Prada, and to a lesser extent, The Iron Lady.

You should check some of her movies out. Like The Deer Hunter - her first Academy Award nomination. The only one you should avoid at all costs is Out of Africa.
Yeah I may give some of these a try. Her movies look so boring to me but I'll give it a shot.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

bootsy wrote:
babydoll wrote:
bootsy wrote: It's hard for me to say whether Meryl is that good or not since I have one movie of her's all the way thru: Devil Wears Prada and she was good in it. Her movies just never interest me. I just keep thinking she must be really great to have as many noms as she gets.

Yeah I may give some of these a try. Her movies look so boring to me but I'll give it a shot.
Just avoid Out of Africa. It's the worst Best Picture Oscar winner in history, narrowly beating Ben-Hur. It's so bad. My mother, who is usually a sucker for these types of romantic epics, couldn't handle this.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:
bootsy wrote:
babydoll wrote: Honestly, I never thought Meryl was a bad actress. She's actually quite good. However, the praise is ridiculous. She's so technical that it makes her distant, less emotive, at times. It's obvious in my favorite Meryl movie, The Bridges of Madison County. It works really well for The Devil Wore Prada, and to a lesser extent, The Iron Lady.

Just avoid Out of Africa. It's the worst Best Picture Oscar winner in history, narrowly beating Ben-Hur. It's so bad. My mother, who is usually a sucker for these types of romantic epics, couldn't handle this.
That's saying something because most people say Crash, which I liked, when they say worst Best Picture Oscar winner. Crash is like the universal consensus.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Well, people do say How Green Was My Valley is one of the worst Best Picture winners. It's really one of the best. It's just had the misfortune of beating Citizen Kane. So people tend to focus so much on the nominees. For 2005, one film dominated the year, and it wasn't Crash. I think people just get upset about that.

The two I mentioned are just awful. The pain in the ass thing about it all was that both of them have actually ended up on TSPDT's 1000 Most Acclaimed Films.
Midaso
Wannabe

Post by Midaso »

I agree about Meryl Streep but I think it comes down to personal taste. Her type of acting and the type of movies she is normally in are just not my thing at all,but obviously it's right in the wheelhouse of Academy voters. Of course there are some movies I like that she's in - The Deer Hunter,Manhattan,Defending Your Life but in none of them is she any major factor in why I enjoy those movies. Anyway,I think most of the major awards are set in stone now: La La Land to win picture,director,actress. The big story now is whether Denzel can win best actor (ahead of Casey Affleck who has been predicted to win for a long time) which is starting to look like a possibility
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Midaso wrote:I agree about Meryl Streep but I think it comes down to personal taste. Her type of acting and the type of movies she is normally in are just not my thing at all,but obviously it's right in the wheelhouse of Academy voters. Of course there are some movies I like that she's in - The Deer Hunter,Manhattan,Defending Your Life but in none of them is she any major factor in why I enjoy those movies. Anyway,I think most of the major awards are set in stone now: La La Land to win picture,director,actress. The big story now is whether Denzel can win best actor (ahead of Casey Affleck who has been predicted to win for a long time) which is starting to look like a possibility
I think that and the possibility of La La Land not winning Best Picture are two possibilities. Everything else looks to be pretty predictable.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Blah Blah Land. I can see why people like it, but I found it too sweet and confectionery. No one should be surprised that it has so many nominations - Hollywood loves it when someone sucks up to them. My biggest annoyance with the film was the dreadful casting. How many movies about white jazz musicians is Chazelle going to make? Why pick Stone, who is already wildly famous, to play an aspiring starlet? The role would have had more impact with an unknown actor.

I'm keen to see Loving, Hidden Figures and Moonlight. The other major nominations look awful (Hacksaw Ridge in particular).

Captain Fantastic was super endearing. Viggo was great.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Maschine_Man wrote:My biggest annoyance with the film was the dreadful casting. How many movies about white jazz musicians is Chazelle going to make? Why pick Stone, who is already wildly famous, to play an aspiring starlet? The role would have had more impact with an unknown actor.
I absolutely disagree. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone have major chemistry onscreen. I still haven't seen La La Land, but I have seen Crazy Stupid Love (or whatever it was called.) I've heard wonderful things about their chemistry in the movie.

Why can't a famous actress play an aspiring starlet? After all, they were, once upon a time, an aspiring starlet. An unknown wouldn't necessarily have given that role impact. A good actress, like Stone, would have. Also, from what I've heard, Emma Stone really made the role work despite lackluster writing. Stone is also a talented actress with natural charisma; she made Easy A bearable. I don't find it hard to believe she was great in La La Land.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I quite like Stone and I didn't dislike her performance, having an unknown actress get her big break on the film would have added something truly magical to the film. I think Chazelle should have put his money where his mouth was, basically. Instead we get one of the most bankable actresses around telling us that we can all make it if we keep on trying*.

*Or if Emma Watson drops out.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Out of the nominated films I've seen I would rank them as:

1. Moonlight
2. Fences
3. Hell Or High Water
4. Hidden Figures
5. Manchester By The Sea
6. Arrival

I need to see Arrival again but my initial viewing I was very unimpressed. I think with another viewing I may 'get it'.
Moonlight was just great all around.
Fences was equally great and the performances from the entire cast were outstanding.
Hell Or High Water I liked but I don't think it will have much repeat-ability for me.
Hidden Figures had very good performances especially Monae and Costner but I felt played a little too safe. I understand they want to sell it to a wider audience but a little too sugary on top.
Manchester by the Sea I enjoyed Affleck's performance for what it needed to be but it was very somber. I also felt like it left leaving the viewer trying to figure things out.

I plan on watching Hacksaw Ridge soon. La La Land at some point and Lion I may never get to.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm always behind on movies until they're out on DVD/streaming, so I've only seen 4; however, there's always a couple that make Best Picture I have absolutely no interest in (this year being Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures, and Lion). I'll hopefully get to Hell or High Water and Fences eventually, maybe Hidden Figures.

Current rank:
Moonlight (10/10)
Arrival (9.5/10)
Manchester by the Sea (9/10)
La La Land (8.75/10)
Midaso
Wannabe

Post by Midaso »

Maschine_Man wrote:I quite like Stone and I didn't dislike her performance, having an unknown actress get her big break on the film would have added something truly magical to the film. I think Chazelle should have put his money where his mouth was, basically. Instead we get one of the most bankable actresses around telling us that we can all make it if we keep on trying*.

*Or if Emma Watson drops out.
The script was changed to suit actors the age of Stone/Gosling though,so if Gosling was going to be in it with an unknown actress,they'd have to be late 20's at least,I doubt they'd find anyone suitable. It certainly would have got nowhere near the buzz it has. Anyway,I know most people will consider Lion one of the lesser movies nominated,but I quite liked it.

1)Manchester By The Sea
2)Lion
3)Moonlight
4)Hell Or High Water
5)La La Land
6)Arrival
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I saw them all for the third year in a row.

I thought they'd be better than this, but most of the Oscars this year were the same-old, same-old. They do the bare minimum for a good film and only seek to win awards rather than be revered as classic movies.

1) Moonlight--Beautiful film. A bit Oscar Bait-y, but has a good director to balance it.
2) Arrival--Unique movie that had a good twist; was the least predictable film here.
3) La La Land--Well directed and photographed, but the musical elements didn't flow with the rest of the picture, feeling more like internal music videos than story progression. Also not a big Emma Stone fan.
4) Hidden Figures--Great story and cast, but screenplay and directorial style more suited for a play than a movie.
5) Hell or High Water--Pretty basic drama that pulled few punches for me.
6) Hacksaw Ridge--Typical Mel Gibson. Not much to say here.
7) Manchester By the Sea--Hedges kinda ruined it for me.
8) Lion--Beautiful looking film that didn't focus enough on the stakes of its story. Also, why was Dev Patel nominated for Supporting Actor when he's the main character?
9) Fences--I fell asleep.

If La La Land wins, so be it. It may not be my first choice, but it was different enough to stand out. And is worthy of its technical accomplishments.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

whuntva wrote:I saw them all for the third year in a row.

I thought they'd be better than this, but most of the Oscars this year were the same-old, same-old. They do the bare minimum for a good film and only seek to win awards rather than be revered as classic movies.

1) Moonlight--Beautiful film. A bit Oscar Bait-y, but has a good director to balance it.
2) Arrival--Unique movie that had a good twist; was the least predictable film here.
3) La La Land--Well directed and photographed, but the musical elements didn't flow with the rest of the picture, feeling more like internal music videos than story progression. Also not a big Emma Stone fan.
4) Hidden Figures--Great story and cast, but screenplay and directorial style more suited for a play than a movie.
5) Hell or High Water--Pretty basic drama that pulled few punches for me.
6) Hacksaw Ridge--Typical Mel Gibson. Not much to say here.
7) Manchester By the Sea--Hedges kinda ruined it for me.
8) Lion--Beautiful looking film that didn't focus enough on the stakes of its story. Also, why was Dev Patel nominated for Supporting Actor when he's the main character?
9) Fences--I fell asleep.

If La La Land wins, so be it. It may not be my first choice, but it was different enough to stand out. And is worthy of its technical accomplishments.
You should have stayed awake. I sort of don't believe that you did fall asleep. Even the most boring of movies I couldn't fall asleep if I tried.

Patel was probably nominated in BSA for the same reason Viola Davis was nominated for BSA because they felt they have a better chance of winning in that category.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

I'm incredibly uncultured when it comes to film, but Moonlight was astounding, and Hidden Figures was good as well. Plan on watching the rest of the nominated films before the awards
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I only have seen 5 of the movies nominated for best movie, but the 5 of them are very good and I honestly wouldn't complain if any won.

My ranking :
1) Arrival
2) Manchester by the Sea
3) La La Land
4) Hell or High Water
5) Moonlight

I didn't have any interest in Hacksaw Ridge and the other 3 are not out in France yet.

While I think Meryl Streep deserves to be the most nominated actress of all time, I feel it's another year where she is nominated more for "being Meryl Streep" than for the performance itself (see Osage County and Into the Woods), especially when Amy Adams was that great in Arrival (and in Nocturnal Animals if I believe the critics).
I really didn't like Natalie Portman's performance in Jackie (or the film as a whole), I found her mannerisms very annoying and distracting. I watched some Jackie Kennedy footages for comparison, and I think she delivered a caricature more than a faithful imitation ; I don't think she needed to be a perfect imitation, but if it was because the toned down Jackie's verbal tics it'd be fine, exagerating them is not.

I'm undecided about Mahershala Ali's performance. I mean he is pretty perfect in his role, but I don't feel it shows an award worthy range. For that matter, Jeff Bridges seems more deserving (though it's nice to see new faces winning).

Would be high time Michelle Williams got an oscar (and Amy Adams too for that matter). With Jessica Chastain they will form a trio of consistently great actress currently at the top of their careers that still haven't won.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Three quick comments before the Academy Awards ceremony:

1. So it's official. At least most of the AM Forum think like that. Meryl Streep is overrated. But, wait, where did I heard this before? Mmm, I don't know, I don't remember...

2. Only watched two nominated films so far, "La La Land" and "Manchester by the Sea," both good movies. Particularly the latter, the scene with Albinoni's "Adagio" is prodigious in my opinion. The intensity of the story slowly rises during that long scene matching the crescendo of the music, finally revealing the drama hidden until then. I've read some critics bashing the use of Albinoni music in the movie for being overused before. But I don't mind, I loved that scene.

3. There's one thing I deeply dislike about the Oscars. Year after year the nominations come to movies released on the last months of the year (9 of the 10 movies nominated this year were premiered on November and December, only "Hell or High Water" was premiered before). The main reason for that is to achieve a boost in sales for the nominations (and eventually the prizes). There is even a name for that, the Oscar season, "the time period in which Hollywood studios release their more critically acclaimed films, hoping to win at the Academy Awards" (Wikipedia). So the studios make some movies specifically for the Oscars. This "business" part of the Oscars is the aspect I dislike the most, I would prefer a honest selection of the best movies of the year independently if these movies were designed for the Oscars race.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I saw Hidden Figures and Moonlight the other day and loved them both. While neither really breaks ground in terms of genre (especially the former) they are very well executed films in seemingly every aspect.

My rankings of the main awards (strikes for films I haven't seen):

Best Picture

Moonlight
'Manchester by the Sea
Hidden Figures
Arrival
La La Land
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Lion

Best Director

Barry Jenkins - Moonlight
Kenneth Lonergan - Manchester by the Sea
Damien Chazelle - La La Land
Dennis Villenueve - Arrival
Mel Gibson - Hacksaw Ridge

Best Actor

Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
Viggo Mortensen - Captain Fantastic
Ryan Gosling - La La Land
Andrew Garfield - Hacksaw Ridge
Denzel Washington - Fences

Best Actress

Natalie Portman - Jackie
Emma Stone - La La Land
Isabelle Huppert - Elle
Ruth Negga - Loving
Meryl Streep - Florence Foster Jenkins

Best Supporting Actor

Lucas Hedges - Manchester by the Sea
Mahershala Ali - Moonlight
Jeff Bridges - Hell or High Water
Dev Patel - Lion
Michael Shannon - Nocturnal Animals

Best Supporting Actress

Naomie Harris - Moonlight
Octavia Spencer - Hidden Figures
Viola Davis - Fences
Nicole Kidman - Lion

Michelle Williams - Manchester by the Sea - She shouldn't have even been nominated for this.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Honorio wrote:3. There's one thing I deeply dislike about the Oscars. Year after year the nominations come to movies released on the last months of the year (9 of the 10 movies nominated this year were premiered on November and December, only "Hell or High Water" was premiered before). The main reason for that is to achieve a boost in sales for the nominations (and eventually the prizes). There is even a name for that, the Oscar season, "the time period in which Hollywood studios release their more critically acclaimed films, hoping to win at the Academy Awards" (Wkipedia). So the studios make some movies specifically for the Oscars. This "business" part of the Oscars is the aspect I dislike the most, I would prefer a honest selection of the best movies of the year independently if these movies were designed for the Oscars race.
I dont think all (or many) of these movies are 'made' for the Oscar's; most of these are released at festivals before and they likely figure out which to release based on early response. I doubt anyone involved in Moonlight was setting out to win Oscars at the beginning of production.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Holy crap!
There is No More Firmament.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Wow. What a mess.
I feel like that
Midaso
Wannabe

Post by Midaso »

Wow,what just happened? That is bizarre,how did they mess that up so badly? Otherwise though,no major surprises and was an enjoyable ceremony and well hosted by Kimmel
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

From what I hear, it was the envelope for the best actress award, so it said Emma Stone - La La Land. Not the presenter's fault IMO.
I feel like that
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I am so happy Moonlight won!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

That was a wacky ending. But for the first time since The Artist in 2011, my favorite film of the year was in fact Best Picture at the Oscars.

Some thoughts:

-So happy Moonlight took it. may follow a bit of the formula, but is well-directed and a very intimate story.
-Zootopia was a fine enough film, but I feel like it's gotten kind of boring how Disney always wins Best Animated Feature. Kubo deserved it more IMO.
-Is a Best Picture/Director split the norm now? Four of the past five ended like this. I certainly support doing this most years but wow!
-Did not see Hacksaw Ridge coming. I called Arrival for Sound Mixing, but Hacksaw swiping two was odd. La La Land's performance in the technical categories was an early harbinger of what was to come.
-Suicide Squad won for Makeup, a distinction shared with The Grinch, Harry and the Hendersons, and the Unfortunate Events film. Even amongst those dubious winners, the makeup here was just terrible.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

What drama with that Best Picture announcement. Reading the winner from the wrong envelope, on the biggest night of the entertainment calendar. (I think it's safe to assume that whoever was responsible for handling the envelopes will... er... not be responsible for that again next year.)

But what I find even more dramatic/surprising is that "Moonlight" actually won. I saw both "Moonlight" and "La La Land" over the weekend, and although there were many things that I liked about "La La Land", I couldn't help but feel that the movie had more style than substance. "Moonlight" on the other hand had an intimacy, as whuntva said, that greatly affected me. The beautiful camerawork went up close to the actors, and then almost every one of those actors drew me in even closer with their intricate facial expressions and deeply felt emotions. But not in a million years did I think it would beat "La La Land". I mean, that film is HUGE, both in its production values and popularity. And it's a film that shows Hollywood being impressed with itself, which is the kind of thing Oscar voters usually love. It is really quite amazing that a small, independent film about a gay black guy growing up in a rough neighborhood could beat it.

There will undoubtedly be lots of discussion about how much politics and last year's #OscarsSoWhite hashtag played a part in this year's choice of best picture, but I honestly feel the best film won. And "Moonlight" winning makes me feel that people are perhaps becoming more willing (if a film is well made) to immerse themselves in movies that depict a slice of society they might not be familiar with, and to learn from that experience or at least gain something positive from it. I can only hope.

This has put an extra spring in my step today.
...will keep us together.
Midaso
Wannabe

Post by Midaso »

It was all down to preferential voting,and La La Land being the more polarizing film among the general public with the strong backlash after the golden globes sweep. Hell,there's a strong rumour that a large portion of the academy didn't even see Moonlight. Still,it's a good underdog story,just a pity it had to happen the way it did...
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

seems like Maschine Man's predictions were pretty good.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Maschine_Man wrote: Michelle Williams - Manchester by the Sea - She shouldn't have even been nominated for this.
Why not? I thought it was the best of all the nominated performances, bar Casey Affleck. Michelle Williams has limited screen time and still seems to have one of the most three dimensional characters of the year. Sure, she has a stellar script, but it takes a top actress to deliver this much in so little time. Viola Davis gets long monologues in a stage like setting that is inherently actor friendly (that's nothing against Davis), while Williams gets short glimpses spread out far and between over a long running time. It's a great example of how a good supporting turn is used.

Then again, I loved Manchester By the Sea, my favorite movie of at least the last three years. Not that Moonlight is a bad winner, it's a great movie too. It was a rather good year I'd say. It's also a rare case in which I don't mind any of the actual Oscar winners, regardless of whether they would have been my pick or not.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

whuntva wrote: -Zootopia was a fine enough film, but I feel like it's gotten kind of boring how Disney always wins Best Animated Feature. Kubo deserved it more IMO.
Funny enough, while the company itself is responsible for the majority of Best Animated Feature wins (thanks to its own unit, Pixar, and Ghibli), the classic studio itself has only won three times: for Zootopia, Big Hero 6, and Frozen. The first time should've been for Wreck-It Ralph, but the Academy was so sorry for shutting out Pixar the previous year that they gave it to one of their most mediocre movies.

All in all, I liked this year's ceremony. Kimmel was a great host, even if the tourist bit was terrible.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Only movie I ever fell asleep during was Pina.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:
whuntva wrote: -Zootopia was a fine enough film, but I feel like it's gotten kind of boring how Disney always wins Best Animated Feature. Kubo deserved it more IMO.
Funny enough, while the company itself is responsible for the majority of Best Animated Feature wins (thanks to its own unit, Pixar, and Ghibli), the classic studio itself has only won three times: for Zootopia, Big Hero 6, and Frozen. The first time should've been for Wreck-It Ralph, but the Academy was so sorry for shutting out Pixar the previous year that they gave it to one of their most mediocre movies.
Brave is one of the best animated films of the last ten years. Better than Wreck-It Ralph and infinitely better than Frozen (seriously, no movie has ever made me gag as much as that one).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Brave is one of the best animated films of the last ten years. Better than Wreck-It Ralph and infinitely better than Frozen (seriously, no movie has ever made me gag as much as that one).
A bit harsh, I'd say, but an opinion's an opinion. Brave just didn't really stick with me. Why is it one of your favorites?
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Brave was everything Frozen should have been. It was entertaining, it was exotic, and Merida was a true princess, a role model. She was a feminist; don't get me started on Elsa and Anna. The lack of any real musicalness (the songs featured were refreshing and appropriate) in that movie were refreshing, and the songs in the latter film were terrible.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”