Another AMF meeting !

nicolas

Another AMF meeting !

Post by nicolas »

Hi folks,

Friday night I had the pleasure to meet one of the most faithful AM fans from Australia : Mooooonbeaaaaaaam !!

He was in France for his job, invited by Montpellier University (in the south of the country), but he had time to drop by and meet us here in Paris before taking his plane back to Sydney.

That was a big and long expected meeting since we're "ancient" forum members (Moonbeam since 2004, and me since 2007).
We've been friends through AM for 10 years before meeting each other in the flesh !!

It was a "beautiful night" and we had time to share many things.

It was a short but precious time but we did the traditional cover, imitating a Eurythmics 45

original : Image
Honorio
Higher Ground

Re: Another AMF meeting !

Post by Honorio »

Hey, guys, that's fantastic! Sure you had a wonderful time together! Nicolas, I should have suspected something when I saw that you were listening to Eurythmics yesterday on Spotify… :mrgreen:
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

:D :D :whistle: :D

I discovered a great song called "Julia" on the 1984 album thanks to Moonbeam !
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

So great to hear you were able to meet each other! I'm envious on you guys. But good to see you got use of that wig again, Nicolas!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

It was wonderful meeting you and your amazing family, Nicolas! Thanks for sending out my French visit with style. Your gratin dauphinoix was amazing as well as the tarte au citron. Of course, the memory of the fromage will keep me motivated to return to France again someday. :D

May such meetings among forumers continue in the future.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

nicolas wrote::D :D :whistle: :D

I discovered a great song called "Julia" on the 1984 album thanks to Moonbeam !
Thank you for listening to some Eurythmics with me, and I agree about "Julia", one of my top 30 songs ever.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Moonbeam wrote:May such meetings among forumers continue in the future.
Amen to this. One of the things I look forward to most on this site are the times when forum members meet up, pose for album covers, and discuss the good times they had. This forum has always had a family feel to it, and it makes me happy to see so many friendships form through AM!
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

This is awesome... After being part of the forum for so many years it makes me happy to see other forum members meet up.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Sorry for the baaaaaad overxposed photo but we were running out of time and Moonbeam had to catch his plane !
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

This made me happy too. (And I'm even happier now that I'm listening to "Julia" while typing this.)

Fun album cover!

I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed meeting up. You've both had a big influence on me (not only musically) and I hope to meet both of you in person too, sooner rather than later. :greetings-waveyellow:
...will keep us together.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

This "family" is a great family ! I'm glad to be a "distant cousin speaking a bizarre dialect" of this family :-)

P.S. : and Julia is a great song moonbeam. Can you recommend some other Eurythmics songs out of the radar? Thanks.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Dan wrote:This made me happy too. (And I'm even happier now that I'm listening to "Julia" while typing this.)

Fun album cover!

I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed meeting up. You've both had a big influence on me (not only musically) and I hope to meet both of you in person too, sooner rather than later. :greetings-waveyellow:
It would be lovely to meet you someday! Maybe we can have a big AM meetup sometime if we plan well enough ahead. :)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Romain wrote:This "family" is a great family ! I'm glad to be a "distant cousin speaking a bizarre dialect" of this family :-)

P.S. : and Julia is a great song moonbeam. Can you recommend some other Eurythmics songs out of the radar? Thanks.
Yes, we really do feel like a family of sorts, don't we?

As for Eurythmics, I am happy to hear that "Julia" has appeled to you (and others!). It is truly fantastic.

Here are some under-the-radar highlights of their first 4 albums, with my reviews linked.

From In the Garden:

Take Me to Your Heart (1981): haunted synthpop meets krautrock
Belinda (1981): bursting power pop
Never Gonna Cry Again (1981): eerie synthpop

From Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This):

The Walk (1982): smoky, spooky synthpop
Step on the Beast (1982): deranged off-the-wall synthpop
Jennifer (1983): harrowing, elegant, mournful synthpop
This City Never Sleeps (1983): lonely, stark, soulful electronic
I Could Give You (A Mirror) (1983): booming, defiant synthpop

From Touch:

Paint a Rumour (1983): exotic, pulsing, eerie, robotic synthpop
The First Cut (1983): frenetic, funk-laced dance-pop
No Fear, No Hate, No Pain (No Broken Hearts): brooding, scary, soulful synthpop

From 1984: For the Love of Big Brother:

I Did It Just the Same (1984): oppressive, scatting-meets-wailing tribal FUNK
For the Love of Big Brother (1984): almost like a paranoid, techno-savvy Sade - smoooooth but spooky
Ministry of Love (1984): experimental, grandiose electronic
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Moonbeam wrote:
Dan wrote:This made me happy too. (And I'm even happier now that I'm listening to "Julia" while typing this.)

Fun album cover!

Maybe we can have a big AM meetup sometime if we plan well enough ahead. :)
Hmmm, I'm an very homebody my poor Moonbeam :? Can you imagine I have never been to Paris on 40 years while I am at 1:30 on TGV? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Romain on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Moonbeam wrote:
Romain wrote:This "family" is a great family ! I'm glad to be a "distant cousin speaking a bizarre dialect" of this family :-)

Yes, we really do feel like a family of sorts, don't we?

As for Eurythmics, I am happy to hear that "Julia" has appeled to you (and others!). It is truly fantastic.
Perfect my dear! Perfect!
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

I guess I'm the kid cousin in all of this.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Moonbeam wrote:Maybe we can have a big AM meetup sometime if we plan well enough ahead. :)
I remember that we talked about having an "AM conference" a long time ago. That would really be something!

Actually, there is already a new AM meeting coming up! Dan is coming to see me in Stockholm between Friday 30 June and Monday 3 July. Anyone who would like to join us is warmly welcome!

If one of you will join us, we could mimic this rather classic album cover. There won't be any snow in June/July(!!), but I know where the "Golden Circle" was and there are a few parks around there, so there's a chance we might find the place where the photo was taken.

Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Henrik wrote:Dan is coming to see me in Stockholm between Friday 30 June and Monday 3 July. Anyone who would like to join us is warmly welcome!
Booked that flight with a big smile on my face. And yes, the more the merrier!
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Dan wrote:
Henrik wrote:Dan is coming to see me in Stockholm between Friday 30 June and Monday 3 July. Anyone who would like to join us is warmly welcome!
Booked that flight with a big smile on my face. And yes, the more the merrier!
Everyone's in Europe! I don't think I can casually hop flights across the globe to visit fellow music buffs, but it's nice to see everyone meeting face-to-face (and hey, I can still chat with you guys over the forums!).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Romain wrote: Hmmm, I'm an very homebody my poor Moonbeam :? Can you imagine I have never been to Paris on 40 years while I am at 1:30 on TGV? :mrgreen:
I, too, have never been to Paris, Romain, although I have been to France; just like I have never been to Copenhagen although I have been to Denmark. But like you I am something of a homebody: I have never left North America. This is a riddle for you; all these things are true.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Saint-Pierre et Miquelon 8-) and.....
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote:Saint-Pierre et Miquelon 8-) and.....
Greenland, I suppose.

I too like to mention that I've been to Chile, even though I've never been to South America.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

DocBrown wrote:
Romain wrote: Hmmm, I'm an very homebody my poor Moonbeam :? Can you imagine I have never been to Paris on 40 years while I am at 1:30 on TGV? :mrgreen:
I, too, have never been to Paris, Romain, although I have been to France; just like I have never been to Copenhagen although I have been to Denmark. But like you I am something of a homebody: I have never left North America. This is a riddle for you; all these things are true.
...you rode It's a Small World?
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Pierre wrote:
Greenland, I suppose.

I too like to mention that I've been to Chile, even though I've never been to South America.

Apparently they still teach geography in France!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

DocBrown wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Greenland, I suppose.

Apparently they still teach geography in France!
If only... :? Watching the games on TV actually doesn't bring much comfort about the educational level in France.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

I've never been to Budapest, Ankara or Santiago, but I got Hungary once, so I ate Turkey Chile.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Rocky Raccoon wrote:I've never been to Budapest, Ankara or Santiago, but I got Hungary once, so I ate Turkey Chile.
For that, go to Sandwich.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Rocky Raccoon wrote:I've never been to Budapest, Ankara or Santiago, but I got Hungary once, so I ate Turkey Chile.
For that, go to Sandwich.
I used to work there.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I love how this has turned into a celebration of geography!

To bring this full circle, the first song I ever composed (at age 5) was called "Mali, Gabon, Cameroon" in honor of my 3 favorite African countries at the time. :mrgreen:
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:Maybe we can have a big AM meetup sometime if we plan well enough ahead. :)
I remember that we talked about having an "AM conference" a long time ago. That would really be something!

Actually, there is already a new AM meeting coming up! Dan is coming to see me in Stockholm between Friday 30 June and Monday 3 July. Anyone who would like to join us is warmly welcome!

If one of you will join us, we could mimic this rather classic album cover. There won't be any snow in June/July(!!), but I know where the "Golden Circle" was and there are a few parks around there, so there's a chance we might find the place where the photo was taken.

There is a conference in Barcelona from July 2-7 that I want to attend... it might not be out of the question for me to visit Stockholm first if my abstract is accepted. :whistle:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Well, that would be awesome Moonbeam! :happy-partydance:

Here is a map of a bit of the Swedish countryside, not far from where I grew up. Notice a couple of names of the places.

babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Man, Moonbeam! I'm jealous of you for getting the opportunity to travel. I know that it has its tolls, but travelling the world has always been a dream of mine. Unfortunately, right now, I'm a bit broke. Yay for health issues! (Obvious sarcasm there.)

Anyway, how did you have three favorite African countries at the age of 5?
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Post by letmeintomyzone »

I feel ignored on here.

I asked a pretty good question here,

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4958

and everyone ignored me.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

letmeintomyzone wrote:I feel ignored on here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4958

and everyone ignored me.
I dunno...for one thing, being the forums, someone was liable to circle back to your topic, so don't worry. Second, there isn't really much of a good answer for your question.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4958

and everyone ignored me.
First, letmeintomyzone, don't take what I'm going to tell you now as a personal attack, but as a piece of advice.

There are two reasons why people are ignoring you:
- One is independent from you - the thing is, the "General Discussion" board sees very little activity. Many AMers never go there, like, ever. Therefore, the topics you're posting there are very likely to be missed.
- The next issue, however, lies with your communication: you're never actually contributing to discussions! You just ask questions, sometimes people answer if the topic is of interest to them, sometimes they don't, but you don't answer to other people's topics and discussions. Therefore, at some point, it's normal that people just don't want to make the effort. They don't know you! Even though you post a lot of topics, sometimes repeating yourself as babydoll pointed out, you're not actively talking to people. Therefore they don't feel a natural need to answer to you.

Once again, nothing personal, but you're bound to disappointment if you think that people will just start noticing you just because you're starting a lot of topics. You have to show your interest for other people if you want them to get interested in you.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Moonbeam wrote:There is a conference in Barcelona from July 2-7 that I want to attend... it might not be out of the question for me to visit Stockholm first if my abstract is accepted. :whistle:
Well, I'll try not to allow myself to get excited about this as it may not happen, but that would be all kinds of wonderful.

And while we (were) on the topic of unexpected and funny town names, I thought I'd pair up a few more names of towns that actually exist, starting with a question people might have about me doing this...

[imgsize 225x150]http://www.blahbloblog.com/wp-content/u ... C_2023.jpg[/imgsize][imgsize 225x150]http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uplo ... y-town.jpg[/imgsize]

[imgsize 225x150]http://devon-beer.co.uk/assets/images/07.jpg[/imgsize][imgsize 225x150]http://media.withtank.com/77d509b818/we ... 0_wide.jpg[/imgsize]

[imgsize 225x150]https://dklomakan.files.wordpress.com/2 ... g-town.jpg[/imgsize][imgsize 225x150]http://www.historyandheadlines.com/wp-c ... batman.png[/imgsize]

[imgsize 225x150]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... Spew6lnRVA[/imgsize][imgsize 225x150]http://www.sketchysloth.com/wp-content/ ... rador0.jpg[/imgsize]

[imgsize 225x150]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3438/3352 ... b51f72.jpg[/imgsize][imgsize 225x150]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 741b32.jpg[/imgsize]
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4958

and everyone ignored me.
The various questions about video games and comic books are not of such great interest to the forum members, it would seem. You may have to go to a video game or comic book forum, or put in your own legwork. I'd imagine that numerous albums in the AM 100, for instance, have an impressive line-up of scores on Wikipedia.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Here's something you all may enjoy...

Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

What the hell's wrong with our country :lol:
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

When in Michigan, make sure to see the amazing Dick (warning: smaller than it looks).
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

There's a town in upstate NY called "Coxsackie" (pronounced "cock-sacky"). The inner-5th grader in me smiles whenever I hear its name.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

There's a neighborhood in Greenwich, Connecticut, that's pronounced "Mianus." Yes, it's exactly pronounced how it looks.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:There's a neighborhood in Greenwich, Connecticut, that's pronounced "Mianus." Yes, it's exactly pronounced how it looks.
Some of these sound like names Bart Simpson asks for when he prank-calls Moe.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”