Unacclaimed Followup and Greatest Hits Announcement

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Unacclaimed Followup and Greatest Hits Announcement

Post by whuntva »

Another Unacclaimed is in the books. Amadou & Mariam join Kashiwa Daisuke and Shiina Ringo as official Unacclaimed champions (neither Nina nor Curtis won officially in Unacclaimed I).

So now, we have the hangover. Unacclaimed V will keep the current format. I thought the expansion made the tournament richer and more songs got represented by everyone.

So in the interim, I think after four tournaments we can have a "Greatest Hits" poll. Where many old songs return in a friendly ranking of all our favorite hidden gems.

The rules are simple. You may rank anywhere from 15-100 songs of the 300-some songs that have graced this poll. Every song is eligible, whether they won it all or were knocked out in the first round (even if they were eventually listed on AM, as was the case with "Sinnerman"). The formula for this poll would be the same as the one for the traditional EOY.

If you need your memory jogged, here are all the eligible songs from Unacclaimed tournaments past:

Unacclaimed I
Unacclaimed II
Unacclaimed III
Unacclaimed IV

Since I am not too good with spreadsheets, I do not feel as though I am an appropriate host for this tournament. But if anyone wants to take up the mantle, you are more than welcome to do so.

Once again, thank you for playing! This tournament would be nothing without its voters.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: Unacclaimed Followup and Greatest Hits Announcement

Post by Moonbeam »

I love it! I'd be happy to host if there are no other takers.

A few things that would helpful for me and for everyone else:

It would be great to have a common spreadsheet that everyone uses to fill in rankings. In addition to the usual columns of artist and song, it would make sense to have a column containing a publicly accessible link to the song in question (YouTube, Spotify, Dailymotion, etc.) so that those accessing it have an easy way to listen to songs with which they are unfamiliar. If no one objects, I can start the spreadsheet with the artist and song columns to share and others can fill in links as they are able.

I also think there could be some (minor) adjustments to the eligibility of ballots. Given many people have not participated in all tournaments, I think it would make sense to apply a formula which acknowledges this. I can think of two ways to proceed:

1. Applying a version of what Henrik does for the EOY lists: add a rank of (X + 30) to songs not included in a voter's list of top X Unacclaimed songs
2. Doing what has been done in decade polls where unranked songs are given a rank of (X + 1)/2

To use an example, let's say PosterX submits a list of 100 songs. The remaining 220 songs would be given rankings of 130 under scenario 1 and a ranking of 50.5 under scenario 2.

My preference is for option 1, but I think it's worth a discussion.

Under either option, it would be possible to accept lists ranking any number of the 320 songs.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I have started a spreadsheet here with links to access the songs. I'd appreciate any help from you with providing links to songs I have yet to provide (I have links for almost all songs in Unacclaimed 3 and 4).
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I really like this idea. Since I've been around for a while, I think I've heard nearly all of these songs, but there are a great many I'll need to re-familiarize myself with. It seems likely I'd be able to rank all 320 songs; but my question is when the deadline for this would be? (I apologize if I'm thinking too far ahead.)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Excellent idear for the game and good idear for this spredsheat Moondbeam.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Moonbeam wrote:I love it! I'd be happy to host if there are no other takers.

A few things that would helpful for me and for everyone else:

It would be great to have a common spreadsheet that everyone uses to fill in rankings. In addition to the usual columns of artist and song, it would make sense to have a column containing a publicly accessible link to the song in question (YouTube, Spotify, Dailymotion, etc.) so that those accessing it have an easy way to listen to songs with which they are unfamiliar. If no one objects, I can start the spreadsheet with the artist and song columns to share and others can fill in links as they are able.

I also think there could be some (minor) adjustments to the eligibility of ballots. Given many people have not participated in all tournaments, I think it would make sense to apply a formula which acknowledges this. I can think of two ways to proceed:

1. Applying a version of what Henrik does for the EOY lists: add a rank of (X + 30) to songs not included in a voter's list of top X Unacclaimed songs
2. Doing what has been done in decade polls where unranked songs are given a rank of (X + 1)/2

To use an example, let's say PosterX submits a list of 100 songs. The remaining 220 songs would be given rankings of 130 under scenario 1 and a ranking of 50.5 under scenario 2.

My preference is for option 1, but I think it's worth a discussion.

Under either option, it would be possible to accept lists ranking any number of the 320 songs.
That is fine. You may start the poll when ready on your terms.

Some of the links for II should still work. I linked everything in that post. So it's just a few from I missing and they shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Anyone else, feel free to make a playlist of all the eligible songs.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

whuntva wrote: That is fine. You may start the poll when ready on your terms.

Some of the links for II should still work. I linked everything in that post. So it's just a few from I missing and they shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Anyone else, feel free to make a playlist of all the eligible songs.
Great! It looks like I will host this poll, which I am happy to do. :)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

jamieW wrote:I really like this idea. Since I've been around for a while, I think I've heard nearly all of these songs, but there are a great many I'll need to re-familiarize myself with. It seems likely I'd be able to rank all 320 songs; but my question is when the deadline for this would be? (I apologize if I'm thinking too far ahead.)
If I am hosting this poll, I would likely make the deadline April 30th or later for 2 reasons:

(1) It would give everyone a chance to listen to the songs.
(2) I have extended the deadline of my Prince poll to April 1st and hence want to finish that first.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

OK, I have updated the spreadsheet with all links taken from the source games. Those links that are still missing are unavailable. I can fill them in, but the risk is that I might include a version that is different to the one nominated. As such, if anyone who has nominated songs would care to check the spreadsheet and supply the appropriate link to any missing songs, I would be grateful.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”