The 2012 AMF All-Time Songs Poll: Results

slick
Movin' On Up

Re: The 2012 AMF All-Time Songs Poll: Results

Post by slick »

Thank You to Sonofsamiam for putting this together, great presentation. I really enjoyed the results. Out of the top 1000 I counted 17 songs that I dislike and 14 I am not familiar with and will be checking out later tonight. I have to say to all who voted that we did an excellent job creating an amazing list that creates a true sense of greatness. It makes me happy to be part of an awesome forum with an amazing group of music fans. Keep up the great work and I look forward to taking part of more greatness in the future. I am offering up this shot of Jager to my fellow AMFer's... cheers!!!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I've thought of a possible side project to this poll. Some of the most exciting games on the forum have been when posters nominate items for inclusion. We all want to cheerlead for our favorites, after all! Anyway, here's what I was thinking:

1. We match up (randomly) users who posted lists for the poll (or those who have a list but were too late to submit).
2. The paired users go through each other's lists to identify the songs that they don't know.
3. Based on these lists, both parties in each pair nominate a certain number (10? 20?) of songs from the list of these unknown songs to listen to and report back!

It might be a good way to "cross-fertilize" the lists if there's interest.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Moonbeam wrote:I've thought of a possible side project to this poll. Some of the most exciting games on the forum have been when posters nominate items for inclusion. We all want to cheerlead for our favorites, after all! Anyway, here's what I was thinking:

1. We match up (randomly) users who posted lists for the poll (or those who have a list but were too late to submit).
2. The paired users go through each other's lists to identify the songs that they don't know.
3. Based on these lists, both parties in each pair nominate a certain number (10? 20?) of songs from the list of these unknown songs to listen to and report back!

It might be a good way to "cross-fertilize" the lists if there's interest.
Excellent idea Moonbeam!!!

Kudos to Sonofsamiam for a great presentation. Your efforts are admired and greatly appreciated.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Not surprised to see Gimme Shelter win, didn't that also win Bracketology? Also B.O.B. was in the finals there, no?

I am pretty surprised to see Heroes beat Life On Mars.
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Really enjoyed the results! Quite surprised to see how much changed since the last poll, but nice that it wasn't just a repeat (only 4 songs made the top 10 on both this list and the 2010 list!) I was expecting another "God Only Knows"/"A Day in the Life"/"Like a Rolling Stone" top 3, so it's a fresh, and welcome change to have a completely different winner (that didn't even make the top 5 last time!)

Nice to see that the votes for the Beatles' "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End" medley wasn't severed into three separate entries.
Gillingham wrote:Didn't see that last one coming. One as U2's highest placed song.
...and rightfully so.
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Here is a tally of all of the artists with 2 or more songs in the top 1000:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Bob Dylan

Radiohead

David Bowie

Led Zeppelin

Prince

Jimi Hendrix Experience

R.E.M.
Bruce Springsteen
The Velvet Underground

U2
The Who

The Clash
Pink Floyd
Neil Young

Marvin Gaye
Kraftwerk
Van Morrison
Pixies
Sly and The Family Stone
Stevie Wonder

The Beach Boys
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Cure
Nirvana
Elvis Presley
Simon and Garfunkel

Arcade Fire
Björk
James Brown
Johnny Cash
Nick Cave (and The Bad Seeds)
Elvis Costello (and The Attractions)
Brian Eno
Serge Gainsbourg
The National
Pavement
The Replacements
Roxy Music
The Stooges
Talking Heads
Tom Waits
The Zombies

Blur
Jacques Brel
Leonard Cohen
John Coltrane
Daft Punk
The Doors
Aretha Franklin
Michael Jackson
Jay-Z
Joy Division
The Kinks
John Lennon
Bob Marley and The Wailers
Roy Orbison
OutKast
Parliament/Funkadelic
Portishead
Public Enemy
Queen
The Smiths
Sufjan Stevens
The Temptations
Kanye West
The White Stripes

Aerosmith
The Band
Black Sabbath
Blondie
Jeff Buckley
Ray Charles
Coldplay
Sam Cooke
Dire Straits
The Flaming Lips
Fleetwood Mac
Gorillaz
Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Elton John
Robert Johnson
The Knife
LCD Soundsystem
Little Richard
Love
Madonna
Massive Attack
Curtis Mayfield
Metallica
Kylie Minogue
New Order
Oasis
Pearl Jam
The Police
Otis Redding
Lou Reed
The Smashing Pumpkins
Elliott Smith
Patti Smith
Steely Dan
TV on the Radio
Wilco
Wu-Tang Clan

AC/DC
Louis Armstrong
The Association
The Avalanches
Beastie Boys
Beck
The Bee Gees
Chuck Berry
Big Star
George Brassens
Kate Bush
The Byrds
Can
Chic
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Cliff
Cream
Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young)
Miles Davis
Deep Purple
Deerhunter
Depeche Mode
DJ Shadow
Nick Drake
Eagles
Eminem
Fatboy Slim
Peter Gabriel
Al Green
Green Day
Guns N' Roses
PJ Harvey
Buddy Holly and The Crickets
The Human League
The Jam
The Killers
King Crimson
Leadbelly
Jerry Lee Lewis
Lynyrd Skynyrd
M.I.A.
MGMT
Paul McCartney (and Wings)
Charles Mingus
Joni Mitchell
Moby
The Monkees
Iggy Pop
Primal Scream
The Ramones
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Righteous Brothers
Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
Erik Satie
Gil Scott-Heron
The Sex Pistols
Sigur Rós
Nina Simone
Sonic Youth
Cat Stevens
The Stone Roses
The Streets
The Strokes
The Supremes
T.I.
Justin Timberlake
Tindersticks
Van Halen
Weezer
Jackie Wilson
Wire
Bill Withers
Robert Wyatt
XTC
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Ok I've given up trying to go through all of these songs, but needless to say THANK YOU!!! The results were more unpredicable than ever - when Like A Rolling Stone was second, I thought "oh, so God Only Knows is 1st! what a surprise!".

Jaws were dropped.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Thank you very much to sonof. A job well done and presented in a couple of days. Impeccable.

Gimme Shelter is a big winner. These are their merits, but we place Gimme Shelter where nobody has: the best song ever.

Blender (USA) - Standout Tracks from the 500 CDs You Must Own (2003) No Order
Bruce Pollock (USA) - The 7.500 Most Important Songs of 1944-2000 (2005) No Order
Pitchfork (USA) - Top 200 Songs of the 60s (2006) 12
Rolling Stone (USA) - The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (2004) 38
TIME (USA) - The All-Time 100 Songs (2011) No Order
Q (UK) - The 1001 Best Songs Ever (2003) 25
Q (UK) - The Ultimate Music Collection (2005) No Order
The Observer (UK) - 31 31 Songs That Changed Music Fans' Lives (2003) No Order
Rolling Stone (Germany) - Top 100 Songs by The Rolling Stones (2005) 3
Toby Creswell (Australia) - 1001 Songs (2005) No Order
Schwah
Strange Fruit

Post by Schwah »

For years on this site, I continually argued that Gimme Shelter was the greatest song of all time, and always voted it #1 in previous polls (despite not being nearly as big a Stones fan as many on the forum). Then after a year when I was pretty much absent from the forum, I decide to drop Gimme Shelter to #3. My new #1, Try a Little Tenderness dropped from 2010 (Watch the Throne fatigue?). My #2, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, fell 272 (!) places. And my deposed #1 winds up winning the whole damn thing. Obviously I'm pleased, but it's (slightly) funny how that worked out.

Great job sonofsamiam!

Once again, I am truly sorry that life does not allow me to participate in the forum like I had in the past. Seems like there continues to be great discussion here.

Stay classy, AM Forum!
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henry wrote:
Jackson wrote:Not my favorite section there, why couldn't "Imagine", "No Woman No Cry", and "Hotel California" been among the songs that fell out of the top 100? I do love "Marquee Moon", "Blue Monday", and "House of the Rising Sun".
I wonder if bruno_antonio wants to share any views regarding the classic rock bashers. I am starting to appreciate the light-hearted cajoling of folks like nj compared the basher perspectives.
Sorry, I do not understand what you meant.

By the way, great top 1000. Everyone is to be congratulated, and I am shocked with the first choice, haha. Great song!
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Thanks Sonofsamian!!

I have fewer and fewer time for AM with the job and family but I really appreciate this poll !!

About "classic rock"... well, I love "Hotel California", spent so many hours listening to this song in front of my mirror with a tennis racket for a guitar when I was a teenager. I know the final guitar chorus by heart... A good song.
Maybe there is too much classic rock, but it's our common ground. There is no lack for other genres in many of our lists (rap, soul, classical, jazz, electro, country, world, blues, vocal pop...), but there is more consensus on classic rock that's all.
I mean if you look at the AM 3000, it's a rock list. Even most records from other genres seem to be taken from a classic rock point of view. Hope I'm getting understood.
And most of the classic rock here rules. I was one of those who voted for "Free Bird". I know it's not cool at all, but I don't give a damn lol... Funny but classic soul is cool while classic rock is not ???????
No offense taken, or given of course. I love electric guitars and solos. I've always found post-punk too depressive and gloomy, classic rock was more... generous.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Bruno_Antonio wrote:
Henry wrote:
Jackson wrote:Not my favorite section there, why couldn't "Imagine", "No Woman No Cry", and "Hotel California" been among the songs that fell out of the top 100? I do love "Marquee Moon", "Blue Monday", and "House of the Rising Sun".
I wonder if bruno_antonio wants to share any views regarding the classic rock bashers. I am starting to appreciate the light-hearted cajoling of folks like nj compared the basher perspectives.
Sorry, I do not understand what you meant.

By the way, great top 1000. Everyone is to be congratulated, and I am shocked with the first choice, haha. Great song!
Bruno, sorry to confuse you. I think Nicolas put this issue in perspective quite nicely.

My concern is with folks who treat their subjective views as the only comprehendible view that one could reasonably have and do not leave the door open for other subjective tastes of others to be considered reasonable.

I do not have any affection for such condescension - which was directed to some of the songs that both you and I rated quite highly.

It appears that I may overly-sensitive about this condescension and your lack of reaction tends to affirm that I over-sensitive in this matter.
Last edited by Henry on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henry wrote:Bruno, sorry to confuse you. I think Nicolas put this issue in perspective quite nicely.

My concern is with folks who treat their subjective views as the only comprehensive view that one could reasonably have and do not leave the door open for other subjective tastes of others to be considered reasonable.

I do not have any affection for such condescension - which was directed to some of the songs that both you and I rated quite highly.

It appears that I may overly-sensitive about this condescension and your lack of reaction tends to affirm that I over-sensitive in this matter.
No problem.

I could not answer before, but now I have seen post by post.

Actually, I posted the top was a mix based on personal taste and greatness. That is, you can find various cliches. But for me, it is very hard to escape them.

Overall, I liked the top 1000, but I think many artists have many songs and proportion may not be as fair. There are artists who were giants with a few songs.

Congratulations sonofsamiam with fast and excellent job by posting it here.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Thanks so much, sonofsamiam! That was a very well-run poll, and you're much quicker at revealing results than I am.

I missed out on the last couple of days of results, so here are my comments on much of the top 100. I see that some comments I made earlier may have been interpreted as a little negative, but these comments will help people realize it's a few songs that bother me, and I really do like most of the consensus favorites. I will say that I always prefer more interesting placements to less interesting placements, and when I complain it's only because I sometimes wish our poll results were less predictable or featured more idiosyncratic songs.

[001] The Rolling Stones | Gimme Shelter
[002] Bob Dylan | Like a Rolling Stone

I had these two separated by about 10 places, with LARS a bit higher, but like everyone else, I'm thrilled to see a new number 1.

[003] The Beatles | A Day In The Life: I didn't vote for it but this is one of the truly great Beatles songs in atmosphere and ambition.
[004] David Bowie | "Heroes" : Not surprising at all to see this as our top of the 70s, this appeals to everyone.
[005] Led Zeppelin | Stairway to Heaven: I'd love to see the list broken down between voters for this song and people who didn't vote for this song.
[006] The Beach Boys | Good Vibrations: We could run this poll annually for the next 50 years and this song might never leave the top 10.
[007] Otis Redding | (Sittin' on) The Dock of The Bay
[008] Jimi Hendrix Experience | All Along The Watchtower
[009] The Clash | London Calling: Great to see this in the top 10!
[010] Stevie Wonder | Superstition
[011] The Rolling Stones | Sympathy for The Devil: I could tell this was doing very well from the individual lists. Most unique sound out of the Stones' classics.
[012] Radiohead | Paranoid Android
[013] Prince | When Doves Cry: This and "Billie Jean" are the two 80s pop songs I would put in a time capsule. Undeniable.
[014] Michael Jackson | Billie Jean
[015] The Beach Boys | God Only Knows : I'm stunned this song dropped! I thought it was going to be number 1 this year, honestly.
[016] Bruce Springsteen | Born To Run: Fantastic song obviously, but why such a huge spread between it and "Thunder Road"?
[017] OutKast | B.O.B. : I could tell from the individual lists that this was heading for a great showing, and I'm extremely happy it placed as our top song from the 00s. I only appreciate this more with each listen.
[018] The Rolling Stones | (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: This song is obviously a classic, but it's always been more in the 'objectively great song' category than the 'personal favorite' category for me.
[019] The Kinks | Waterloo Sunset: There was a time when the lyrics had more personal relevance to me, and that probably explains why it fell from 1 to 3 this time around. I feel like a broken record, but I'll say it again: if you like this song, the Kinks have plenty more great songs like it. As for this song itself, well, it's otherworldly.
[020] Nirvana | Smells Like Teen Spirit: As many times as I've heard it, still blown away by its greatness. Deserves its accolades.
[021] Marvin Gaye | I Heard It Through The Grapevine: Wow, would not have thought this would beat "What's Going On." I prefer it though, this is pretty much the perfect pop song.
[022] Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit: I didn't vote for it, but I love its placement here. Feels unique to this forum.
[023] Joy Division | Love Will Tear Us Apart
[024] The Ronettes | Be My Baby: Great gain from last time, this song is unbelievable.
[025] Chuck Berry | Johnny B. Goode
[026] OutKast | Hey Ya! : People still get excited when this comes on almost 10 years after its release. I think "Call Me Maybe" has been the only pop song since to produce nearly this kind of euphoria among the general public.
[027] David Bowie | Life on Mars?
[028] U2 | One
[029] Pulp | Common People: A great band at their most ambitious and grandiose.
[030] Talking Heads | Once In a Lifetime: Fantastic placement, this song sounds like it could have come out this year.
[031] The Beatles | Tomorrow Never Knows : Glad to see another great showing for Tomorrow Never Knows, by far my favorite Beatles song. I really wish they had done a little more of this style of all-in psychedelia.
[032] R.E.M. | Losing My Religion
[033] Queen | Bohemian Rhapsody: This one is pretty much played out for me at this point, but I obviously see why people like it.
[034] The Rolling Stones | Paint It, Black: I should vote for this next time. Love the eerie atmosphere.
[035] The Beatles | Strawberry Fields Forever: Don't mind seeing this drop a little, I love the sound but I prefer a song it obviously inspired--"Hilly Fields."
[036] Lou Reed | Walk on The Wild Side: Interesting that this beat every VU song, but it's certainly great, especially the bassline.
[037] Marvin Gaye | What's Going On
[038] The Mamas and The Papas | California Dreamin'
[039] David Bowie | Space Oddity
[040] Sam Cooke | A Change Is Gonna Come: Vocal still blows me away every time.
[041] Pink Floyd | Wish You Were Here: Never really understood this one.
[042] The White Stripes | Seven Nation Army: A modern classic, one of the few songs in the poll I've enjoyed since it came out.
[043] Bob Dylan | Tangled Up In Blue: Still my favorite Dylan.
[044] LCD Soundsystem | All My Friends: Has fallen in my personal list along with the general list; "The Past is a Grotesque Animal" does the same thing a little better in my opinion.
[045] The Verve | Bitter Sweet Symphony: Beautiful song, one of my most played ever and it hasn't gotten old.
[046] Gnarls Barkley | Crazy: Along with "Hey Ya", it's the song from my generation that most unites critics and the general public.
[047] The Velvet Underground | Heroin: Glad this topped the VU songs in the poll, an unbelievably emotional buildup.
[048] Derek and The Dominoes | Layla: Definitely the best thing Clapton ever did, I can get behind this one.
[049] Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five | The Message
[050] U2 | With or Without You: Wouldn't mind if I never heard it again.
[051] The Who | Won't Get Fooled Again: Always preferred Baba O'Riley.
[052] Pixies | Debaser: The greatest rock song of all time.
[053] U2 | Sunday Bloody Sunday: Definitely my favorite U2 song, I considered ranking it.
[054] The Who | Baba O'Riley: The intro is definitely the coolest thing the Who ever did.
[055] The Beatles | I Am The Walrus: An interesting song, but not exactly sure how it's a consensus favorite.
[056] The Smiths | There Is a Light That Never Goes Out: The pinnacle of everything the Smiths were trying to achieve.
[057] The Beatles | Hey Jude: The last few minutes are unlistenable.
[058] Al Green | Let's Stay Together: Al Green to me is an artist with lots of very good songs but few transcendentally great songs, it's kind of funny this is ranked so much higher than everything else by him. Don't mind seeing it though.
[059] Guns N' Roses | Sweet Child O' Mine: Probably my favorite song out of the classic rock monoliths. The guitar performance on this and the "where do we go now?" breakdown at the end are just undeniable.
[060] The Doors | Light My Fire: Used to dislike it for the lengthy solos, now I like it for the lengthy solos. Very psychedelic.
[061] The Animals | House of The Rising Sun: One of the best vocal performances of all-time, this song exactly hits the emotion it was going for.
[062] John Lennon | Imagine: I think the music on here is solid, but it's time for the general public to admit that these lyrics are really terrible. Says a lot without really saying anything.
[063] Television | Marquee Moon: Sounds like a classic from the first note.
[064] Oasis | Wonderwall: I like this song (especially for the drumming), but how is it that much higher than "Live Forever"?
[065] The Kinks | You Really Got Me: Great song, but like "Satisfaction", there are dozens of Kinks songs I would listen to over this.
[066] Bob Dylan | Subterranean Homesick Blues: Singing along with this is very entertaining.
[067] New Order | Blue Monday: Retook its spot as my favorite New Order song from "Temptation" recently. Sounds more like an event than a song.
[068] The Four Tops | Reach Out I'll Be There: How was this so low last time? And so high this time? I bet next time, it's somewhere in between.
[069] Eagles | Hotel California: My comment on this one seemed to spark some backlash, but I've never liked it and never will like it. The guitar solo in particular just bores me.
[070] Bob Marley and The Wailers | No Woman, No Cry
[071] Beck | Loser: Just a really, really entertaining listen.
[072] Patti Smith | Gloria: Cool gain, I didn't expect this. Great build-up to the soaring choruses over the last couple minutes.
[073] Bruce Springsteen | Thunder Road: Springsteen's greatest achievement, lyrically and musically.
[074] The Bee Gees | Stayin' Alive: Pleasantly surprised by this placement, this song is fun.
[075] Aretha Franklin | Respect: I've always respected it more than liked it.
[076] Elvis Presley | Suspicious Minds
[077] Simon and Garfunkel | Bridge Over Troubled Water
[078] Blur | Song 2: I disagree with sonofsam; while a poll of Blur fans would have some vote-splitting, in a general poll it's no surprise at all that this is a standout.
[079] Johnny Cash | Hurt: Glad this song has emerged as a classic, I love early and late Cash but this song is his emotional pinnacle.
[080] The Stooges | I Wanna Be Your Dog: One of my favorite results of the entire top 100. This song is just so badass.
[081] M.I.A. | Paper Planes: Still sounds fresh after 5 years and a lot of plays.
[082] Sufjan Stevens | John Wayne Gacy, Jr. : I think there are a few songs better on Illinois, but I love this placement! A true AMF-core pick.
[083] The Who | My Generation: Never enjoyed this song, I think the stuttering puts me off.
[084] Public Enemy | Fight The Power: Glad to see PE in the top 100.
[085] The Smiths | How Soon Is Now?: Has held up better than most Smiths songs for me, probably their best lyric too.
[086] The Knife | Heartbeats: A classic. I can never not listen to this song after hearing the first note.
[087] Red Hot Chili Peppers | Under The Bridge
[088] Radiohead | Karma Police
[089] Stevie Wonder | Living for The City: I want to like this song more, the breakdown in the middle kind of puts me off.
[090] Eurythmics | Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This): Didn't vote for it but cool placement!
[091] Sonic Youth | Teen Age Riot: Too bad this dropped, this is one of the greatest rock songs ever.
[092] The Jackson 5 | I Want You Back
[093] The Beatles | Eleanor Rigby: Used to like this one a lot more.
[094] Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out: Nice to see that this has staying power, I think it's one of the best representatives of the early-00s rock sound.
[095] Arcade Fire | Rebellion (Lies): Voted this much higher last time; I now think "Wake Up" is by far the best song on the record and was surprised to see it fall out of the top 100.
[096] The Velvet Underground | Venus In Furs: Glad a song like this can make T100. Creepy brilliance.
[097] The Beatles | In My Life: Lennon out-McCartneys McCartney.
[098] Ray Charles | What'd I Say: Very happy to see a gain here, this is one of the greatest songs of the 50s.
[099] Bob Dylan | Desolation Row: Nice rise here, this song is masterful.
[100] Eminem feat. Dido | Stan: I used to like this song but can't stand it anymore; I think it's good musically but can't take how arrogant the lyrics are.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jackson wrote:[100] Eminem feat. Dido | Stan: I used to like this song but can't stand it anymore; I think it's good musically but can't take how arrogant the lyrics are.
Because he wrote a story that includes himself he is arrogant?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

[quote="Jackson[005] Led Zeppelin | Stairway to Heaven: I'd love to see the list broken down between voters for this song and people who didn't vote for this song.

Since I was one of the voters who loves this song, I thought I would explain why I do (as I did "Nights in White Satin.") As with "Nights," I was fairly young when I heard this song (about 8 years old or so), and the eerie melody, along with the dark, mystical lyrics and vocals made me lose sleep at night. (Especially when my babysitter would play it while I was trying to fall asleep in my pitch-black bedroom.) I always felt like the explosion after the bridge, including Page's guitar and Plant's screaming, high-pitched vocals, were what would become the standards for future heavy metal music (which, admittedly, may not seem like such a positive thing in many people's eyes). I completely understand that this song has been overplayed beyond logic, and for years it has been bludgeoned over people's heads as the epitome of "great" music to the point of nausea. However, I don't hold these extrinsic traits against it (or any other song, for that matter.) To me, all these years later, it's still timeless. When I make a list, I can only be as honest as possible regarding how the song makes me feel. For this reason, I included "Stairway To Heaven" in my Top 10, as well as "Nights in White Satin," "Strange Fruit," and a few other songs that a lot of people probably haven't heard (and may even dislike if they did). With all this said, I would like to add that I thought your list of favorite songs was particularly outstanding, Jackson, and I'm looking forward to hearing all of the ones that I haven't before the next poll rolls around. I have a very diverse taste in music (as does just about everyone I've seen so far in this forum), and some of my favorites from this year include acts like Chromatics, John Talabot, the Swans, iamamiwhoami, Kendrick Lamar, Polica, Silversun Pickups, Air, Quakers, Mount Eerie, Saint Etienne, and Grizzly Bear. But whenever I make an all-time list, the songs from my youth will still likely have an advantage, because these will always be the songs the made the greatest impression on me and shaped who I am.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Henrik wrote:
Jackson wrote:[100] Eminem feat. Dido | Stan: I used to like this song but can't stand it anymore; I think it's good musically but can't take how arrogant the lyrics are.
Because he wrote a story that includes himself he is arrogant?
I don't know if "arrogant" was exactly the right word to use. If this song was based off a true story, I would find it a lot more interesting. But as it stands, writing a song about a fictional obsessive fan killing himself just because you won't respond to his letters doesn't come off very well for me. I wouldn't say I hate this song--I think I may have even ranked it for the last poll--but its story doesn't hold my interest anymore.

Re: Stairway, I completely understand why people ranked Stairway, I just think it may be an interesting experiment to compare lists of the "Stairway" group to the "non-Stairway" group. Like sonofsam said, that was an all-or-nothing song in the rankings, and I have a feeling there is a big divide between the two groups.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

To some extent I have lost interest in classic rock over the last few years. Or perhaps I should say that I have found many other genres that are just as great. Anyway, "Stairway to Heaven" is one of several classic rock songs that have been big favorites but I've tired upon a bit. For me it's not so much that I've heard the songs too many times though, as I don't listen to radio much. The thing is rather that these songs don't feel like personal favorites anymore, they're rather everybody's favorites, so if I listen to the radio and StH come on I would think "What a predictable song. Boring choice".

For the same reason I didn't include StH in my top 500. But it was close and I probably like it as much as the songs in the lower half of my list, but the other songs needed my points more.

I am a grey man. Usually when something is considered a love/hate thing I am in the middle.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Jackson wrote: [080] The Stooges | I Wanna Be Your Dog: One of my favorite results of the entire top 100. This song is just so badass.
One day, this and Search and Destroy will switch places, and the true classic Stooges song will find itself in the top 100!

(alternatively, both can be in here, I don't really mind.)
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henrik wrote:To some extent I have lost interest in classic rock over the last few years. Or perhaps I should say that I have found many other genres that are just as great. Anyway, "Stairway to Heaven" is one of several classic rock songs that have been big favorites but I've tired upon a bit. For me it's not so much that I've heard the songs too many times though, as I don't listen to radio much. The thing is rather that these songs don't feel like personal favorites anymore, they're rather everybody's favorites, so if I listen to the radio and StH come on I would think "What a predictable song. Boring choice".

For the same reason I didn't include StH in my top 500. But it was close and I probably like it as much as the songs in the lower half of my list, but the other songs needed my points more.

I am a grey man. Usually when something is considered a love/hate thing I am in the middle.
I understand this sentiment completely. I never tire of many of my "classic rock" favorites; however, there have been several songs that carry fond memories with them, but I just don't connect with as personal favorites anymore. I also can play the contrarian at times when it comes to friends who believe that great music ceased to exist once the classic rock era ended. There is still so much great music today. It doesn't bother me that somebody could listen to my favorite artists of the past decade (such as Arcade Fire and Nightwish) and dislike them: that's just a matter of personal preference. What bothers me is that some of my classic rock friends will not listen to modern artists and genres at all. Opinions will always vary: all that I ask is that all music be given a fair listen, regardless of era or genre.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I would envision that the top 5 of the Stairway voter's list would look something like this:
1- Stairway to Heaven (obviously it would have 100% of the votes)
2- Bohemian Rhapsody
3- Gimme Shelter
4- Sweet Child O' Mine
5- All Along the Watchtower

Actually, I'm only sure about the first two, but the others make sense, being top-of-the-list classic rock songs.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Listyguy wrote:I would envision that the top 5 of the Stairway voter's list would look something like this:
1- Stairway to Heaven (obviously it would have 100% of the votes)
2- Bohemian Rhapsody
3- Gimme Shelter
4- Sweet Child O' Mine
5- All Along the Watchtower

Actually, I'm only sure about the first two, but the others make sense, being top-of-the-list classic rock songs.
It's a small sample-size; but as a "Stairway" voter, this is how I ranked Listyguy's predictions:

Stairway to Heaven (#8)
All Along the Watchtower (#41)
Sweet Child O' Mine (#450)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Honorable Mentions)
Gimme Shelter (Not Ranked--although it probably deserved to be.)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Bruno_Antonio wrote: Actually, I posted the top was a mix based on personal taste and greatness.
Speaking only for myself, I think that is what might be inducing a negative reaction. So much classic rock has been lionized by critics that the big songs are seen as HAVING to be part of the list. I'm not saying that's what you did, but your post has made me curious about which songs in your list were ones you really loved and which songs you included out of a sense of duty. I think the latter is what makes so many critics lists boring. Henrik himself said that we are better than the critics, and based on this list, I'd have to agree somewhat. And because classic rock has been given this preferential treatment among rock critics, it has dominated and will continue to dominate the critical consensus. Again, I don't want to make this personal to you, Bruno, or anyone else with a lot of classic rock on your list. But I find it much more interesting to see which songs you LOVE.

Personally, I find it much more fun and interesting to do just that and compile a list of songs that I love as opposed to songs that I think deserve canonization. Some of my favorite artists have songs that are widely canonized, but it didn't stop me from putting 54 Prince songs ahead of "When Doves Cry" or 71 David Bowie songs on my list without including "'Heroes'".
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Moonbeam wrote:
Bruno_Antonio wrote: Actually, I posted the top was a mix based on personal taste and greatness.
Speaking only for myself, I think that is what might be inducing a negative reaction. So much classic rock has been lionized by critics that the big songs are seen as HAVING to be part of the list. I'm not saying that's what you did, but your post has made me curious about which songs in your list were ones you really loved and which songs you included out of a sense of duty. I think the latter is what makes so many critics lists boring. Henrik himself said that we are better than the critics, and based on this list, I'd have to agree somewhat. And because classic rock has been given this preferential treatment among rock critics, it has dominated and will continue to dominate the critical consensus. Again, I don't want to make this personal to you, Bruno, or anyone else with a lot of classic rock on your list. But I find it much more interesting to see which songs you LOVE.

Personally, I find it much more fun and interesting to do just that and compile a list of songs that I love as opposed to songs that I think deserve canonization. Some of my favorite artists have songs that are widely canonized, but it didn't stop me from putting 54 Prince songs ahead of "When Doves Cry" or 71 David Bowie songs on my list without including "'Heroes'".
Despite the fact that classic rock still dominates (and will likely always dominate) my lists, I do not incude the CR songs based on any sense of duty. I include them because I love them!!!

For me it's the opposite, for a variety of reasons I find myself searching for a reason to include newer non-classic rock songs in my lists, even if I don't thoroughly enjoy such non-CR songs but instead appreciate that the songs are solid and attempting to break new ground. In other words, despite abundant evidence to the contrary I continually strive to include a modicum of variety in my lists because the newness or difference of non-CR songs advantage them somewhat over CR songs that share basic elements with their CR brethren.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

A message to AMF. Warning: Ridiculous dancing ahead if you click the image!

Last edited by Moonbeam on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I’m pleased to see people defending certain classic rock songs that they love (and classic rock in general). I made a couple of antagonistic posts about rock and classic rock, partly because I have a slightly mischievous sense of humour, but mostly because I felt that rock was over-represented compared to other genres. Like Moonbeam often says, why is there a consensus that white guys with guitars are better than the rest? To question the merit of a majority opinion is something that happens automatically to me by now (perhaps it happens too easily) and guitar-driven classic rock has a macho crudeness that makes it an easy target to pick on. But by criticizing a majority opinion, it’s easy to overlook the good things about it. As usual on this forum, though, there are people who can defend their choices/tastes very eloquently. And besides, I run the risk of being a hypocrite – the male-female ratio on my lists is not nearly as balanced as it should be, and there are a lot of songs with a raw masculinity that I love.

As I’ve mentioned in another post, there are so many other genres represented in our top 1000, and we’ve actually come up with a pretty eclectic list. There were some nice surprises, too. What I liked most was Billie Holiday’s “Strange Fruit” ending as high as #22. IMHO the most effective and poignant way to make a political point is by doing it subtly rather than being in-your-face about it. The simple arrangements and Billie Holiday’s sensitive vocals helped to make “Strange Fruit” the original protest song (and I think it’s still the best one). Because the song's part-jazz, part-folk, part-ballad approach is so understated, the powerful lyrics are even more haunting. It sends shivers down my spine every time.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black body swinging in the Southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Pastoral scene of the gallant South,
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
Scent of magnolia sweet and fresh,
And the sudden smell of burning flesh!

Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck,
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
For the sun to rot, for a tree to drop,
Here is a strange and bitter crop.
...will keep us together.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Thanks Dan, for bringing the conversation back around to "Strange Fruit". Have you heard Nina Simone's version? It's similar, but with a rage brewing down below that creeps to the top every now and again. Amazing.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

OK list junkies, here are the songs ordered by artist...

[343] ABBA | Dancing Queen
[456] AC/DC | You Shook Me All Night Long
[568] AC/DC | Back In Black
[190] Aerosmith | Walk This Way
[262] Aerosmith | Dream On
[426] A-ha | Take on Me
[918] Mahmoud Ahmed | Erè Mèla Mèla
[817] Alice In Chains | Would?
[859] Alphaville | Forever Young
[979] America | Sister Golden Hair
[580] Amerie | 1 Thing
[888] Tori Amos | Winter
[472] Amy Winehouse | Rehab
[416] Animal Collective | My Girls
[061] The Animals | House of The Rising Sun
[496] Annie | Heartbeat
[279] Antony and The Johnsons | Hope There's Someone
[095] Arcade Fire | Rebellion (Lies)
[129] Arcade Fire | Wake Up
[490] Arcade Fire | Intervention
[530] Arcade Fire | In The Backseat
[914] Arcade Fire | Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
[374] Arctic Monkeys | I Bet You Look Good on The Dancefloor
[238] Louis Armstrong | What a Wonderful World
[421] Louis Armstrong | St. James Infirmary
[877] Arrested Development | Tennessee
[240] The Art Ensemble of Chicago | Theme de Yo-Yo
[819] The Association | Never My Love
[956] The Association | Cherish
[235] The Avalanches | Frontier Psychiatrist
[625] The Avalanches | Since I Left You
[922] David Axelrod | The Human Abstract
[945] The B-52's | Rock Lobster
[988] Bachman-Turner Overdrive | You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet
[896] Chet Baker | My Funny Valentine
[125] The Band | The Weight
[383] The Band | The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
[895] The Band | Whispering Pines
[405] Alain Bashung | La Nuit je mens
[006] The Beach Boys | Good Vibrations
[015] The Beach Boys | God Only Knows
[191] The Beach Boys | Don't Worry Baby
[254] The Beach Boys | I Get Around
[263] The Beach Boys | Surf's Up
[484] The Beach Boys | Wouldn't It Be Nice
[249] Beastie Boys | Sabotage
[749] Beastie Boys | Intergalactic
[003] The Beatles | A Day In The Life
[031] The Beatles | Tomorrow Never Knows
[035] The Beatles | Strawberry Fields Forever
[055] The Beatles | I Am The Walrus
[057] The Beatles | Hey Jude
[093] The Beatles | Eleanor Rigby
[097] The Beatles | In My Life
[116] The Beatles | Let It Be
[120] The Beatles | Yesterday
[133] The Beatles | Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
[141] The Beatles | Help!
[144] The Beatles | Come Together
[146] The Beatles | While My Guitar Gently Weeps
[188] The Beatles | Something
[245] The Beatles | Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
[251] The Beatles | Across The Universe
[277] The Beatles | I Want To Hold Your Hand
[281] The Beatles | Revolution
[285] The Beatles | A Hard Day's Night
[295] The Beatles | You Never Give Me Your Money
[322] The Beatles | Here Comes The Sun
[327] The Beatles | Happiness Is a Warm Gun
[373] The Beatles | Penny Lane
[488] The Beatles | She Loves You
[538] The Beatles | She Said She Said
[636] The Beatles | Blackbird
[642] The Beatles | Dear Prudence
[647] The Beatles | And Your Bird Can Sing
[755] The Beatles | Helter Skelter
[769] The Beatles | Rain
[770] The Beatles | Paperback Writer
[775] The Beatles | Get Back
[802] The Beatles | Julia
[837] The Beatles | Twist and Shout
[848] The Beatles | Ticket to Ride
[894] The Beatles | Eight Days a Week
[915] The Beatles | Here, There and Everywhere
[938] The Beatles | Rocky Raccoon
[961] The Beatles | Sexy Sadie
[972] The Beatles | For No One
[991] The Beatles | You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
[071] Beck | Loser
[591] Beck | Devil's Haircut
[074] The Bee Gees | Stayin' Alive
[422] The Bee Gees | How Deep Is Your Love
[025] Chuck Berry | Johnny B. Goode
[425] Chuck Berry | Maybellene
[218] The Beta Band | Dry The Rain
[370] Beyonce feat. Jay-Z | Crazy In Love
[159] Big Star | September Gurls
[579] Big Star | Thirteen
[377] Benjamin Biolay | Brandt rhapsodie
[180] Björk | Bachelorette
[305] Björk | Hyper-Ballad
[502] Björk | Jóga
[503] Björk | Isobel
[694] Björk | Hunter
[331] The Black Keys | Lonely Boy
[335] Black Sabbath | Paranoid
[760] Black Sabbath | Iron Man
[965] Black Sabbath | Black Sabbath
[359] Blondie | Call Me
[448] Blondie | Heart of Glass
[990] Blondie | Atomic
[418] Blue Öyster Cult | (Don't Fear) The Reaper
[078] Blur | Song 2
[617] Blur | Girls and Boys
[710] Blur | Tender
[947] Blur | The Universal
[985] Boards of Canada | Roygbiv
[808] Bonnie "Prince" Billy | I See a Darkness
[203] Booker T. and The MG's | Green Onions
[230] Boston | More Than a Feeling
[004] David Bowie | "Heroes"
[027] David Bowie | Life on Mars?
[039] David Bowie | Space Oddity
[140] David Bowie | Starman
[148] David Bowie | Changes
[234] David Bowie | Ziggy Stardust
[414] David Bowie | Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
[424] David Bowie | Ashes To Ashes
[430] David Bowie | Aladdin Sane
[454] David Bowie | Rebel Rebel
[470] David Bowie | Suffragette City
[474] David Bowie | Moonage Daydream
[564] David Bowie | Sound and Vision
[726] David Bowie | Station To Station
[737] David Bowie | Five Years
[900] David Bowie | Warszawa
[936] David Bowie | Let's Dance
[738] Georges Brassens | La Marine
[787] Georges Brassens | Je me suis fait tout petit
[222] The Breeders | Cannonball
[714] Goran Bregovic | Ederlezi
[122] Jacques Brel | Amsterdam
[468] Jacques Brel | Ne me quitte pas
[702] Jacques Brel | Ces gens-là
[975] Jacques Brel | La valse à mille temps
[119] James Brown | Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine
[306] James Brown | It's a Man's Man's Man's World
[350] James Brown | I Got You (I Feel Good)
[471] James Brown | Papa's Got a Brand New Bag
[697] James Brown | Make It Funky, Pt. 1
[344] Dave Brubeck Quartet | Take Five
[872] Gavin Bryars | Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet
[101] Jeff Buckley | Hallelujah
[381] Jeff Buckley | Grace
[924] Jeff Buckley | Last Goodbye
[409] Buena Vista Social Club | Chan Chan
[291] Buffalo Springfield | For What It's Worth
[811] Built To Spill | I Would Hurt a Fly
[779] Burial | Archangel
[415] Kate Bush | Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
[469] Kate Bush | Wuthering Heights
[744] Busta Rhymes | Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check
[437] Buzzcocks | Ever Fallen in Love?
[182] The Byrds | Eight Miles High
[367] The Byrds | Mr. Tambourine Man
[274] Glen Campbell | Wichita Lineman
[475] Can | Halleluhwah
[754] Can | Oh Yeah
[897] Caribou | Odessa
[304] The Cars | Just What I Needed
[079] Johnny Cash | Hurt
[167] Johnny Cash | I Walk The Line
[181] Johnny Cash | Folsom Prison Blues
[354] Johnny Cash | Ring of Fire
[466] Johnny Cash | The Mercy Seat
[363] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | The Mercy Seat
[453] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | Into My Arms
[588] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | Red Right Hand
[767] Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue | Where The Wild Roses Grow
[940] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | There She Goes, My Beautiful World
[427] Cee-Lo Green | Fuck You!
[396] Tracy Chapman | Fast Car
[098] Ray Charles | What'd I Say
[557] Ray Charles | Georgia on My Mind
[616] Ray Charles | I've Got a Woman
[460] The Chemical Brothers | Block Rockin' Beats
[411] Chic | Good Times
[732] Chic | Le Freak
[661] Lou Christie | Paint America Love
[259] Eric Clapton | Tears In Heaven
[931] Eric Clapton | Cocaine
[009] The Clash | London Calling
[112] The Clash | Train In Vain (Stand By Me)
[127] The Clash | (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
[397] The Clash | The Magnificent Seven
[431] The Clash | The Guns of Brixton
[465] The Clash | Spanish Bombs
[514] The Clash | Rock The Casbah
[712] The Clash | Complete Control
[518] Jimmy Cliff | Many Rivers To Cross
[720] Jimmy Cliff | The Harder They Come
[615] Patsy Cline | Crazy
[413] Eddie Cochran | Summertime Blues
[473] Leonard Cohen | Famous Blue Raincoat
[667] Leonard Cohen | Suzanne
[751] Leonard Cohen | So Long, Marianne
[919] Leonard Cohen | Everybody Knows
[202] Coldplay | Clocks
[641] Coldplay | The Scientist
[745] Coldplay | Yellow
[842] Nat King Cole | Nature Boy
[928] Phil Collins | In The Air Tonight
[920] Colosseum | The Valentyne Suite
[132] John Coltrane | My Favorite Things
[204] John Coltrane | Acknowledgement
[841] John Coltrane | Olé
[906] John Coltrane | Psalm
[889] Ry Cooder | Paris, Texas
[040] Sam Cooke | A Change Is Gonna Come
[271] Sam Cooke | Wonderful World
[686] Sam Cooke | Bring It on Home To Me
[151] Elvis Costello | Alison
[392] Elvis Costello and The Attractions | Beyond Belief
[451] Elvis Costello and The Attractions | I Want You
[693] Elvis Costello and The Attractions | Radio Radio
[863] Elvis Costello | Watching The Detectives
[313] Cream | Sunshine of Your Love
[399] Cream | White Room
[126] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Fortunate Son
[150] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Proud Mary
[506] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
[638] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Run Through The Jungle
[681] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Ramble Tamble
[974] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Lookin' Out My Back Door
[670] Crosby, Stills and Nash | Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
[493] Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young | Ohio
[226] The Cure | Lullaby
[242] The Cure | Just Like Heaven
[290] The Cure | A Forest
[519] The Cure | Lovesong
[546] The Cure | Boys Don't Cry
[959] The Cure | A Night Like This
[250] Daft Punk | One More Time
[407] Daft Punk | Digital Love
[527] Daft Punk | Around The World
[577] Daft Punk | Da Funk
[179] Dick Dale and His Del-Tones | Miserlou
[704] Karen Dalton | Katie Cruel
[253] Miles Davis | So What
[781] Miles Davis | Concierto de Aranjuez (Adagio)
[444] Spencer Davis Group | Gimme Some Lovin'
[505] Claude Debussy | Clair de Lune
[403] Deee-Lite | Groove Is In The Heart
[276] Deep Purple | Smoke on The Water
[784] Deep Purple | Child in Time
[691] Deerhunter | Desire Lines
[881] Deerhunter | Nothing Ever Happened
[551] Desmond Dekker | The Israelites
[688] Camarón de la Isla | La leyenda del tiempo
[130] Depeche Mode | Enjoy The Silence
[447] Depeche Mode | Personal Jesus
[048] Derek and The Dominoes | Layla
[778] Dexys Midnight Runners | Come on Eileen
[567] Bo Diddley | Bo Diddley
[759] Dinosaur Jr. | Freak Scene
[187] Dire Straits | Sultans of Swing
[569] Dire Straits | Private Investigations
[905] Dire Straits | Money for Nothing
[913] Disco Inferno | The Last Dance/The Long Dance
[743] The Divine Comedy | The Summerhouse
[457] DJ Shadow | Building Steam With a Grain of Salt
[964] DJ Shadow | Midnight In a Perfect World
[583] Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Dogg | Nuthin' But a "G" Thang
[799] Fats Domino | Blueberry Hill
[941] Donovan | Hurdy Gurdy Man
[060] The Doors | Light My Fire
[124] The Doors | Riders on The Storm
[225] The Doors | The End
[489] The Doors | Break on Through (To The Other Side)
[176] Nick Drake | River Man
[718] Nick Drake | Three Hours
[660] Jacques Dutronc | Il est 5 heures Paris s'éveille
[043] Bob Dylan | Tangled Up In Blue
[066] Bob Dylan | Subterranean Homesick Blues
[099] Bob Dylan | Desolation Row
[178] Bob Dylan | Hurricane
[264] Bob Dylan | Ballad of a Thin Man
[267] Bob Dylan | It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
[324] Bob Dylan | Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
[332] Bob Dylan | Visions of Johanna
[340] Bob Dylan | Knockin' on Heaven's Door
[342] Bob Dylan | Blowin' In The Wind
[345] Bob Dylan | Love Minus Zero/No Limit
[382] Bob Dylan | Blind Willie McTell
[387] Bob Dylan | Just Like a Woman
[428] Bob Dylan | Mr. Tambourine Man
[501] Bob Dylan | A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
[552] Bob Dylan | I Want You
[598] Bob Dylan | Positively 4th Street
[607] Bob Dylan | Masters of War
[626] Bob Dylan | Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands
[640] Bob Dylan | Shelter From The Storm
[652] Bob Dylan | The Times They Are A-Changin'
[069] Eagles | Hotel California
[721] Eagles | One of These Nights
[650] Echo and The Bunnymen | The Killing Moon
[998] Elbow | Grounds for Divorce
[633] Missy Elliott | Get Ur Freak On
[100] Eminem feat. Dido | Stan
[257] Eminem | Lose Yourself
[584] Brian Eno | Golden Hours
[629] Brian Eno | By This River
[656] Brian Eno | Needles In The Camel's Eye
[850] Brian Eno | Baby's on Fire
[939] Brian Eno | The Big Ship
[955] Eric B. & Rakim | I Know You Got Soul
[090] Eurythmics | Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
[692] The Everly Brothers | All I Have To Do Is Dream
[554] Cesária Évora | Sodade
[740] Exuma | Exuma, The Obeah Man
[408] Faith No More | Epic
[858] Faithless | Insomnia
[611] Fatboy Slim | Praise You
[651] Fatboy Slim | The Rockafeller Skank
[800] Léo Ferré | Avec le temps
[709] Fever Ray | I'm Not Done
[986] The 5th Dimension | Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In
[933] Roberta Flack | Killing Me Softly With His Song
[379] The Flaming Lips | Race for The Prize
[654] The Flaming Lips | Do You Realize??
[658] The Flaming Lips | Fight Test
[449] The Flamingos | I Only Have Eyes for You
[207] Fleet Foxes | White Winter Hymnal
[173] Fleetwood Mac | Go Your Own Way
[614] Fleetwood Mac | The Chain
[844] Fleetwood Mac | Rhiannon
[300] Foo Fighters | Everlong
[068] The Four Tops | Reach Out I'll Be There
[730] Jackson C. Frank | I Want To Be Alone (Dialogue)
[075] Aretha Franklin | Respect
[384] Aretha Franklin | Think
[464] Aretha Franklin | Chain of Fools
[705] Aretha Franklin | I Say a Little Prayer
[094] Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out
[137] Funkadelic | Maggot Brain
[785] Funkadelic | One Nation Under a Groove
[937] Funkadelic | Can You Get To That
[494] Peter Gabriel | Solsbury Hill
[801] Peter Gabriel | In Your Eyes
[164] Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin | Je t'aime ... moi non plus
[550] Serge Gainsbourg | Cargo Culte
[683] Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot | Bonnie and Clyde
[724] Serge Gainsbourg | Initials B.B.
[976] Serge Gainsbourg | Requiem pour un con
[380] Gang of Four | Damaged Goods
[298] Judy Garland | Somewhere Over The Rainbow
[021] Marvin Gaye | I Heard It Through The Grapevine
[037] Marvin Gaye | What's Going On
[174] Marvin Gaye | Let's Get It On
[239] Marvin Gaye | Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)
[680] Marvin Gaye | Sexual Healing
[861] Marvin Gaye | Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
[462] Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell | Ain't No Mountain High Enough
[575] Gloria Gaynor | I Will Survive
[243] Stan Getz and João Gilberto | The Girl from Ipanema
[558] Girls | Vomit
[046] Gnarls Barkley | Crazy
[804] Goo Goo Dolls | Iris
[163] Gorillaz | Clint Eastwood
[318] Gorillaz | Feel Good Inc.
[923] Gorillaz | El Mañana
[049] Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five | The Message
[632] Green Day | When I Come Around
[835] Green Day | Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
[058] Al Green | Let's Stay Together
[978] Al Green | Jesus Is Waiting
[059] Guns N' Roses | Sweet Child O' Mine
[957] Guns N' Roses | Welcome To The Jungle
[459] Bill Haley and His Comets | (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
[825] Happy Mondays | Step On
[912] Ben Harper | Another Lonely Day
[461] George Harrison | My Sweet Lord
[228] PJ Harvey | Down By The Water
[432] PJ Harvey | Rid of Me
[833] Donny Hathaway | I Love The Lord (He Heard My Cry), pts. 1 and 2
[307] Screamin' Jay Hawkins | I Put a Spell on You
[734] Heart | Crazy on You
[008] Jimi Hendrix Experience | All Along The Watchtower
[118] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Purple Haze
[136] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Hey Joe
[147] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
[273] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Little Wing
[703] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Burning of The Midnight Lamp
[765] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Crosstown Traffic
[789] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Manic Depression
[949] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Bold As Love
[987] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Fire
[993] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Are You Experienced
[192] Don Henley | The Boys of Summer
[555] Hercules and Love Affair | Blind
[814] Bernard Herrmann | Psycho: Prelude/ The Murder: Finale
[022] Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit
[930] The Hollies | Bus Stop
[255] Buddy Holly and The Crickets | That'll Be The Day
[621] Buddy Holly and The Crickets | Peggy Sue
[969] Hot Chip | Over and Over
[589] Howlin' Wolf | Smokestack Lightnin'
[175] The Human League | Don't You Want Me
[824] The Human League | Love Action (I Believe in Love)
[882] Hüsker Dü | Sorry Somehow
[960] Ice Cube | It Was a Good Day
[388] The Impressions | People Get Ready
[742] Iron Maiden | Hallowed Be Thy Name
[839] The Isley Brothers | Shout (Parts 1 and 2)
[092] The Jackson 5 | I Want You Back
[014] Michael Jackson | Billie Jean
[169] Michael Jackson | Beat It
[270] Michael Jackson | Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
[549] Michael Jackson | Thriller
[196] The Jam | That's Entertainment
[366] The Jam | Going Underground
[547] Etta James | At Last
[668] Tommy James and The Shondells | Crimson and Clover
[154] Jay-Z | 99 Problems
[198] The Jefferson Airplane | White Rabbit
[435] The Jefferson Airplane | Somebody To Love
[791] Jefferson Starship | Miracles
[201] The Jesus and Mary Chain | Just Like Honey
[209] Elton John | Your Song
[346] Elton John | Tiny Dancer
[352] Elton John | Rocket Man
[644] Blind Willie Johnson | Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground
[831] Robert Johnson | Cross Road Blues
[843] Robert Johnson | Love In Vain
[898] Robert Johnson | Sweet Home Chicago
[773] Journey | Don't Stop Believin'
[023] Joy Division | Love Will Tear Us Apart
[560] Joy Division | Atmosphere
[630] Joy Division | Decades
[752] Joy Division | Disorder
[526] Justice | D.A.N.C.E.
[908] The Killers | Mr. Brightside
[971] The Killers | When You Were Young
[356] King Crimson | Starless
[581] King Crimson | 21st Century Schizoid Man
[109] Ben E. King | Stand By Me
[685] Kings of Leon | Use Somebody
[286] The Kingsmen | Louie, Louie
[019] The Kinks | Waterloo Sunset
[065] The Kinks | You Really Got Me
[364] The Kinks | Shangri-La
[601] The Kinks | Lola
[856] Rahsaan Roland Kirk | Saxophone Concerto
[086] The Knife | Heartbeats
[193] The Knife | Silent Shout
[479] The Knife | We Share Our Mother's Health
[698] Gladys Knight and The Pips | Midnight Train to Georgia
[205] Kraftwerk | Das Model
[486] Kraftwerk | Autobahn
[498] Kraftwerk | Trans-Europe Express
[561] Kraftwerk | Computer Love
[675] Kraftwerk | Radioaktivität
[966] Kraftwerk | Pocket Calculator
[981] Kraftwerk | Neon Lights
[165] Fela Kuti | Zombie
[220] The La's | There She Goes
[419] Cyndi Lauper | Time After Time
[044] LCD Soundsystem | All My Friends
[284] LCD Soundsystem | Losing My Edge
[386] LCD Soundsystem | Someone Great
[637] Leadbelly | Where Did You Sleep Last Night?
[782] Leadbelly | Goodnight Irene
[005] Led Zeppelin | Stairway to Heaven
[142] Led Zeppelin | Kashmir
[156] Led Zeppelin | When The Levee Breaks
[292] Led Zeppelin | Whole Lotta Love
[401] Led Zeppelin | Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
[543] Led Zeppelin | Over The Hills and Far Away
[553] Led Zeppelin | Since I've Been Loving You
[663] Led Zeppelin | D'yer Mak'er
[719] Led Zeppelin | Trampled Under Foot
[725] Led Zeppelin | The Song Remains The Same
[750] Led Zeppelin | Dazed and Confused
[762] Led Zeppelin | The Battle of Evermore
[794] Led Zeppelin | Black Dog
[892] Led Zeppelin | The Rain Song
[907] Led Zeppelin | In My Time of Dying
[999] Led Zeppelin | Ramble On
[062] John Lennon | Imagine
[482] John Lennon | Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)
[508] John Lennon | Working Class Hero
[852] John Lennon | Jealous Guy
[237] Jerry Lee Lewis | Great Balls of Fire
[604] Jerry Lee Lewis | Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
[131] Little Richard | Tutti Frutti
[570] Little Richard | Long Tall Sally
[700] Little Richard | Good Golly Miss Molly
[818] Live | Lightning Crashes
[851] Julie London | Cry Me a River
[232] Love | Alone Again Or
[404] Love | You Set The Scene
[946] Love | The Red Telephone
[420] The Lovin' Spoonful | Summer In The City
[103] Lynyrd Skynyrd | Free Bird
[476] Lynyrd Skynyrd | Sweet Home Alabama
[395] M83 | Midnight City
[166] Madonna | Like a Prayer
[592] Madonna | Like a Virgin
[620] Madonna | Into The Groove
[038] The Mamas and The Papas | California Dreamin'
[070] Bob Marley and The Wailers | No Woman, No Cry
[402] Bob Marley and The Wailers | Get Up, Stand Up
[713] Bob Marley and The Wailers | Redemption Song
[904] Bob Marley and The Wailers | Sun Is Shining
[161] Martha and The Vandellas | Dancing In The Street
[104] Massive Attack | Unfinished Sympathy
[121] Massive Attack | Teardrop
[398] Massive Attack | Angel
[231] Curtis Mayfield | Move on Up
[365] Curtis Mayfield | Right on for The Darkness
[989] Curtis Mayfield | Freddie's Dead
[890] Mazzy Star | Fade Into You
[393] The MC5 | Kick Out The Jams
[528] Paul McCartney | Maybe I'm Amazed
[810] Paul McCartney and Wings | Band on The Run
[954] George McCrae | Rock Your Baby
[410] Don McLean | American Pie
[902] Mercury Rev | Holes
[283] Metallica | One
[429] Metallica | Enter Sandman
[445] Metallica | Master of Puppets
[216] MGMT | Kids
[338] MGMT | Time To Pretend
[081] M.I.A. | Paper Planes
[600] M.I.A. | Galang
[806] The Millennium | Prelude/To Claudia on Thursday
[200] Charles Mingus | Modes D, E, F: Trio and Group Dancers, Single Solos and Group Dance, Group and Solo Dance
[594] Charles Mingus | The Shoes of The Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive-Ass Slippers
[219] Kylie Minogue | Can't Get You Out of My Head
[618] Mission of Burma | That's When I Reach for My Revolver
[873] Joni Mitchell | River
[980] Joni Mitchell | Free Man In Paris
[707] Moby | Porcelain
[995] Moby | Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?
[585] The Modern Lovers | Roadrunner
[728] Modest Mouse | Float On
[433] Janelle Monáe | Cold War
[891] The Monkees | Porpoise Song
[943] The Monkees | I'm a Believer
[260] The Moody Blues | Nights in White Satin
[541] Ennio Morricone | L'estasi dell'oro (The Ecstasy of Gold)
[138] Van Morrison | Brown Eyed Girl
[351] Van Morrison | Moondance
[619] Van Morrison | Into The Mystic
[624] Van Morrison | Madame George
[628] Van Morrison | And It Stoned Me
[666] Van Morrison | Astral Weeks
[717] Van Morrison | Sweet Thing
[500] Motörhead | Ace of Spades
[545] Mott The Hoople | All The Young Dudes
[671] Muse | Starlight
[194] My Bloody Valentine | Soon
[321] The National | Fake Empire
[478] The National | Mr. November
[696] The National | Bloodbuzz Ohio
[838] The National | Runaway
[849] The National | Ada
[795] Neu! | Hallogallo
[676] Neutral Milk Hotel | Holland, 1945
[067] New Order | Blue Monday
[288] New Order | Temptation
[816] New Order | Bizarre Love Triangle
[649] The New Radicals | You Get What You Give
[772] Randy Newman | Sail Away
[539] Nine Inch Nails | Head Like a Hole
[020] Nirvana | Smells Like Teen Spirit
[111] Nirvana | All Apologies
[296] Nirvana | Heart-Shaped Box
[400] Nirvana | Lithium
[605] Nirvana | Come As You Are
[917] Nirvana | Dumb
[834] No Doubt | Don't Speak
[774] The Notorious B.I.G. | Juicy
[899] N.W.A. | Straight Outta Compton
[064] Oasis | Wonderwall
[224] Oasis | Live Forever
[645] Oasis | Supersonic
[247] Sinéad O'Connor | Nothing Compares 2 U
[333] Of Montreal | The Past Is a Grotesque Animal
[265] The Only Ones | Another Girl, Another Planet
[139] Roy Orbison | In Dreams
[258] Roy Orbison | Crying
[497] Roy Orbison | Oh, Pretty Woman
[860] Roy Orbison | Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
[542] Os Mutantes | Panis et Circenses
[017] OutKast | B.O.B.
[026] OutKast | Hey Ya!
[105] OutKast | Ms. Jackson
[741] OutKast | Rosa Parks
[423] Parliament | Flash Light
[442] Arvo Pärt | Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten
[757] Dolly Parton | Jolene
[195] Pavement | Summer Babe
[275] Pavement | Fillmore Jive
[609] Pavement | Range Life
[646] Pavement | Cut Your Hair
[793] Pavement | Gold Soundz
[336] Pearl Jam | Jeremy
[369] Pearl Jam | Alive
[531] Pearl Jam | Black
[846] Carl Perkins | Blue Suede Shoes
[516] Pet Shop Boys | Being Boring
[766] Peter Bjorn and John | Young Folks
[711] Tom Petty | Free Fallin'
[805] Liz Phair | 6'1"
[727] Phoenix | 1901
[595] Édith Piaf | La vie en rose
[758] Wilson Pickett | In The Midnight Hour
[041] Pink Floyd | Wish You Were Here
[170] Pink Floyd | Time
[213] Pink Floyd | Comfortably Numb
[341] Pink Floyd | Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2
[483] Pink Floyd | Money
[695] Pink Floyd | Echoes
[916] Pink Floyd | Shine on You Crazy Diamond
[925] Pink Floyd | The Great Gig In The Sky
[052] Pixies | Debaser
[212] Pixies | Monkey Gone To Heaven
[311] Pixies | Where Is My Mind?
[360] Pixies | Hey
[672] Pixies | Wave of Mutilation
[706] Pixies | No. 13 Baby
[753] Pixies | Gigantic
[106] The Police | Every Breath You Take
[535] The Police | Roxanne
[665] The Police | Message in a Bottle
[217] Iggy Pop | Lust for Life
[289] Iggy Pop | The Passenger
[362] Portishead | Sour Times
[376] Portishead | Glory Box
[441] Portishead | The Rip
[507] Portishead | Roads
[586] The Postal Service | Such Great Heights
[076] Elvis Presley | Suspicious Minds
[172] Elvis Presley | Heartbreak Hotel
[199] Elvis Presley | Hound Dog
[417] Elvis Presley | Jailhouse Rock
[438] Elvis Presley | That's All Right
[823] Elvis Presley | Mystery Train
[864] The Pretenders | Brass In Pocket
[573] Primal Scream | Movin' on Up
[948] Primal Scream | Loaded
[013] Prince | When Doves Cry
[117] Prince | Purple Rain
[128] Prince | Kiss
[152] Prince | Sign 'O' The Times
[256] Prince | 1999
[317] Prince | Little Red Corvette
[353] Prince | Raspberry Beret
[375] Prince | Let's Go Crazy
[606] Prince | Sometimes It Snows In April
[684] Prince | When You Were Mine
[701] Prince | I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man
[866] Prince | The Cross
[869] Prince | Controversy
[893] Prince | Cream
[177] Procol Harum | A Whiter Shade of Pale
[534] The Prodigy | Firestarter
[763] Sergei Prokofiev | Romeo and Juliet : The Knights' Dance (Montagues and Capulets)
[084] Public Enemy | Fight The Power
[544] Public Enemy | Bring The Noise
[612] Public Enemy | Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos
[768] Public Enemy | Welcome To The Terrordome
[029] Pulp | Common People
[033] Queen | Bohemian Rhapsody
[434] Queen | Don't Stop Me Now
[512] Queen and David Bowie | Under Pressure
[983] Queen | We Are The Champions
[210] Queens of The Stone Age | No One Knows
[477] ? and The Mysterians | 96 Tears
[868] The Raconteurs | Steady as She Goes
[012] Radiohead | Paranoid Android
[088] Radiohead | Karma Police
[102] Radiohead | Creep
[162] Radiohead | Fake Plastic Trees
[168] Radiohead | No Surprises
[171] Radiohead | Pyramid Song
[208] Radiohead | The National Anthem
[303] Radiohead | Reckoner
[320] Radiohead | Everything In Its Right Place
[329] Radiohead | Exit Music (For a Film)
[339] Radiohead | Let Down
[446] Radiohead | How To Disappear Completely
[463] Radiohead | Just
[574] Radiohead | Idioteque
[643] Radiohead | Street Spirit (Fade Out)
[679] Radiohead | Climbing Up The Walls
[733] Radiohead | You and Whose Army?
[830] Radiohead | Lotus Flower
[878] Radiohead | Where I End and You Begin
[880] Radiohead | High and Dry
[669] Rage Against The Machine | Killing In The Name
[927] Bonnie Raitt | I Can't Make You Love Me
[280] The Ramones | Blitzkrieg Bop
[334] The Ramones | Sheena Is a Punk Rocker
[847] The Rapture | House of Jealous Lovers
[087] Red Hot Chili Peppers | Under The Bridge
[822] Red Hot Chili Peppers | Can't Stop
[007] Otis Redding | (Sittin' on) The Dock of The Bay
[244] Otis Redding | I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)
[287] Otis Redding | Try a Little Tenderness
[036] Lou Reed | Walk on The Wild Side
[143] Lou Reed | Perfect Day
[815] Lou Reed | Satellite of Love
[032] R.E.M. | Losing My Religion
[266] R.E.M. | Radio Free Europe
[328] R.E.M. | Nightswimming
[371] R.E.M. | Everybody Hurts
[372] R.E.M. | It's The End of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
[504] R.E.M. | Drive
[548] R.E.M. | The One I Love
[689] R.E.M. | Fall on Me
[746] R.E.M. | Find The River
[876] R.E.M. | Country Feedback
[330] The Replacements | Unsatisfied
[385] The Replacements | I Will Dare
[603] The Replacements | Bastards of Young
[635] The Replacements | Answering Machine
[812] The Replacements | Alex Chilton
[582] Ride | Vapour Trail
[272] The Righteous Brothers | You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
[481] The Righteous Brothers | Unchained Melody
[826] Rihanna feat. Jay-Z | Umbrella
[110] Smokey Robinson and The Miracles | The Tracks of My Tears
[929] Smokey Robinson and The Miracles | The Tears of a Clown
[001] The Rolling Stones | Gimme Shelter
[011] The Rolling Stones | Sympathy for The Devil
[018] The Rolling Stones | (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
[034] The Rolling Stones | Paint It, Black
[189] The Rolling Stones | Jumpin' Jack Flash
[233] The Rolling Stones | You Can't Always Get What You Want
[248] The Rolling Stones | Street Fighting Man
[261] The Rolling Stones | Brown Sugar
[308] The Rolling Stones | Rocks Off
[316] The Rolling Stones | Wild Horses
[439] The Rolling Stones | Under My Thumb
[576] The Rolling Stones | Jigsaw Puzzle
[602] The Rolling Stones | Honky Tonk Women
[648] The Rolling Stones | Midnight Rambler
[653] The Rolling Stones | Start Me Up
[747] The Rolling Stones | Tumbling Dice
[756] The Rolling Stones | Miss You
[780] The Rolling Stones | Stray Cat Blues
[790] The Rolling Stones | Moonlight Mile
[911] The Rolling Stones | Angie
[963] The Rolling Stones | Sister Morphine
[973] The Rolling Stones | Shine a Light
[992] The Rolling Stones | Can't You Hear Me Knocking
[024] The Ronettes | Be My Baby
[867] The Roots feat. Cody ChesNUTT | The Seed (2.0)
[874] Rotary Connection | I Am The Black Gold of The Sun
[520] Roxy Music | If There Is Something
[613] Roxy Music | Editions of You
[622] Roxy Music | Virginia Plain
[792] Roxy Music | A Song for Europe
[840] Roxy Music | Love Is The Drug
[390] Run-D.M.C. feat. Aerosmith | Walk This Way
[776] Todd Rundgren | Hello It's Me
[631] Henri Salvador | Dans mon île
[515] Sam and Dave | Soul Man
[183] Pharoah Sanders | The Creator Has a Master Plan
[533] Santana feat. Rob Thomas | Smooth
[323] Erik Satie | Gymnopédie n°1
[509] Erik Satie | Gnossienne n°1
[677] Gil Scott-Heron | Home Is Where the Hatred Is
[716] Gil Scott-Heron | The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
[870] Screaming Trees | Nearly Lost You
[674] Seal | Kiss from a Rose
[153] The Sex Pistols | Anarchy In The U.K.
[293] The Sex Pistols | God Save The Queen
[294] Del Shannon | Runaway
[529] The Shirelles | Will You Love Me Tomorrow
[241] Sigur Rós | Svefn-g-englar
[953] Sigur Rós | Viðrar vel til Loftárása
[077] Simon and Garfunkel | Bridge Over Troubled Water
[114] Simon and Garfunkel | The Sound of Silence
[157] Simon and Garfunkel | The Boxer
[302] Simon and Garfunkel | The Only Living Boy In New York
[309] Simon and Garfunkel | America
[597] Simon and Garfunkel | Mrs. Robinson
[788] Paul Simon | Mother and Child Reunion
[155] Nina Simone | Sinnerman
[523] Nina Simone | My Baby Just Cares for Me
[537] Simple Minds | Don't You (Forget About Me)
[796] Frank Sinatra | In The Wee Small Hours of The Morning
[827] Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood | Some Velvet Morning
[996] Sister Sledge | Lost In Music
[310] Percy Sledge | When a Man Loves a Woman
[325] Slint | Good Morning, Captain
[108] Sly and The Family Stone | Family Affair
[214] Sly and The Family Stone | Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)
[221] Sly and The Family Stone | Everyday People
[639] Sly and The Family Stone | Stand!
[786] Sly and The Family Stone | I Want To Take You Higher
[821] Sly and The Family Stone | Dance To The Music
[845] Sly and The Family Stone | If You Want Me To Stay
[480] The Smashing Pumpkins | 1979
[524] The Smashing Pumpkins | Disarm
[764] The Smashing Pumpkins | Tonight, Tonight
[229] Elliott Smith | Waltz #2 (XO)
[722] Elliott Smith | Between The Bars
[921] Elliott Smith | Twilight
[072] Patti Smith | Gloria
[857] Patti Smith | Land: Horses/Land of a Thousand Dances/La Mer (de)
[884] Patti Smith | Piss Factory
[056] The Smiths | There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
[085] The Smiths | How Soon Is Now?
[149] The Smiths | This Charming Man
[355] The Smiths | Bigmouth Strikes Again
[246] Soft Cell | Tainted Love
[091] Sonic Youth | Teen Age Riot
[682] Sonic Youth | The Diamond Sea
[282] Soundgarden | Black Hole Sun
[211] The Specials | Ghost Town
[982] The Spinners | I'll Be Around
[513] Spiritualized | Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
[145] Dusty Springfield | Son of a Preacher Man
[016] Bruce Springsteen | Born To Run
[073] Bruce Springsteen | Thunder Road
[227] Bruce Springsteen | Atlantic City
[389] Bruce Springsteen | Born In The U.S.A.
[492] Bruce Springsteen | Jungleland
[511] Bruce Springsteen | The River
[599] Bruce Springsteen | Dancing In The Dark
[678] Bruce Springsteen | Streets of Philadelphia
[699] Bruce Springsteen | Spirit In The Night
[887] Bruce Springsteen | Adam Raised a Cain
[536] Stardust | Music Sounds Better With You
[690] Edwin Starr | War
[761] Steely Dan | Reelin' In The Years
[836] Steely Dan | My Old School
[871] Steely Dan | Doctor Wu
[299] Steppenwolf | Born To Be Wild
[657] Stereolab | French Disko
[729] Cat Stevens | Father and Son
[950] Cat Stevens | Wild World
[082] Sufjan Stevens | John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
[123] Sufjan Stevens | Chicago
[563] Sufjan Stevens | Casimir Pulaski Day
[803] Sufjan Stevens | Vesuvius
[319] Rod Stewart | Maggie May
[197] The Stone Roses | Fools Gold
[736] The Stone Roses | I Am The Resurrection
[080] The Stooges | I Wanna Be Your Dog
[115] Iggy and The Stooges | Search and Destroy
[783] The Stooges | 1970
[807] The Stooges | TV Eye
[934] The Stooges | Loose
[909] The Stranglers | Golden Brown
[587] Igor Stravinsky | Tableau II, Le sacrifice: Section VI, Danse sacrale - L'élue
[855] The Streets | Blinded By The Lights
[952] The Streets | Weak Become Heroes
[185] The Strokes | Last Nite
[394] The Strokes | Hard To Explain
[556] The Sugarhill Gang | Rapper's Delight
[223] Donna Summer | I Feel Love
[883] Supergrass | Caught By The Fuzz
[566] The Supremes | Stop! In The Name of Love
[865] The Supremes | You Can't Hurry Love
[967] System of a Down | Chop Suey!
[715] Rachid Taha | Ya Rayah
[030] Talking Heads | Once In a Lifetime
[378] Talking Heads | Psycho Killer
[450] Talking Heads | The Great Curve
[739] Talking Heads | This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
[832] Talking Heads | Burning Down The House
[798] James Taylor | Fire and Rain
[063] Television | Marquee Moon
[158] The Temptations | My Girl
[215] The Temptations | Papa Was a Rollin' Stone
[659] The Temptations | Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
[708] The Temptations | Ain't Too Proud To Beg
[879] Third Eye Blind | Semi-Charmed Life
[997] T.I. | What You Know
[664] Justin Timberlake | What Goes Around…Comes Around
[935] Justin Timberlake feat. T.I | My Love
[910] Tindersticks | She's Gone
[942] Tindersticks | City Sickness
[901] Toots and The Maytals | Pressure Drop
[522] Tortoise | Djed
[391] T. Rex | Bang a Gong (Get It On)
[593] A Tribe Called Quest | Scenario
[951] Trió Matamoros | Lágrimas Negras
[1000] Tubeway Army | Are 'Friends' Electric?
[358] Ike and Tina Turner | River Deep - Mountain High
[510] The Turtles | Happy Together
[134] TV on The Radio | Wolf Like Me
[627] TV on The Radio | Staring at The Sun
[634] TV on The Radio | DLZ
[028] U2 | One
[050] U2 | With or Without You
[053] U2 | Sunday Bloody Sunday
[348] U2 | I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
[455] U2 | Where The Streets Have No Name
[590] U2 | Pride (In The Name of Love)
[829] U2 | Beautiful Day
[962] U2 | The Fly
[994] U2 | Until The End of The World
[368] The Undertones | Teenage Kicks
[735] Underworld | Born Slippy .NUXX
[984] The United States of America | The American Way of Love
[932] Ritchie Valens | La Bamba
[797] Vampire Weekend | A-Punk
[314] Van Halen | Jump
[977] Van Halen | Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
[662] Townes Van Zandt | Pancho and Lefty
[047] The Velvet Underground | Heroin
[096] The Velvet Underground | Venus In Furs
[107] The Velvet Underground | I'm Waiting for The Man
[113] The Velvet Underground | Sunday Morning
[186] The Velvet Underground | Sweet Jane
[268] The Velvet Underground | Pale Blue Eyes
[312] The Velvet Underground | All Tomorrow's Parties
[315] The Velvet Underground | Rock and Roll
[578] The Velvet Underground | Sister Ray
[820] The Velvet Underground | I'm Set Free
[045] The Verve | Bitter Sweet Symphony
[885] Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps | Be-Bop-a-Lula
[443] Violent Femmes | Blister In The Sun
[412] Tom Waits | Jockey Full of Bourbon
[452] Tom Waits | Tom Traubert's Blues
[610] Tom Waits | I Don't Wanna Grow Up
[623] Tom Waits | Downtown Train
[926] Tom Waits | Martha
[723] Scott Walker | The Seventh Seal
[540] The Walkmen | The Rat
[499] Dionne Warwick | Walk on By
[521] Muddy Waters | Mannish Boy
[525] Weezer | El Scorcho
[687] Weezer | Say It Ain't So
[184] Kanye West | Runaway
[532] Kanye West feat. Cam'ron and Consequence | Gone
[809] Kanye West feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Bon Iver and Nicki Minaj | Monster
[886] Kanye West | Gold Digger
[042] The White Stripes | Seven Nation Army
[252] The White Stripes | Fell In Love With a Girl
[436] The White Stripes | The Hardest Button To Button
[559] The White Stripes | Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground
[051] The Who | Won't Get Fooled Again
[054] The Who | Baba O'Riley
[083] The Who | My Generation
[160] The Who | Behind Blue Eyes
[406] The Who | I Can See for Miles
[571] The Who | Pinball Wizard
[748] The Who | We're Not Gonna Take It
[813] The Who | I Can't Explain
[828] The Who | Eminence Front
[337] Wilco | Impossible Germany
[655] Wilco | I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
[731] Wilco | Jesus, etc.
[862] Hank Williams | I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
[853] Dennis Wilson | River Song
[608] Jackie Wilson | (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher
[903] Jackie Wilson | Lonely Teardrops
[458] Wire | Outdoor Miner
[517] Wire | Mannequin
[236] Bill Withers | Ain't No Sunshine
[958] Bill Withers | Lean on Me
[206] Bobby Womack | Across 110th Street
[089] Stevie Wonder | Living for The City
[485] Stevie Wonder | I Wish
[562] Stevie Wonder | As
[596] Stevie Wonder | Higher Ground
[771] Stevie Wonder | Sir Duke
[777] Stevie Wonder | He's Misstra Know-It-All
[875] Link Wray | Rumble
[968] The Wrens | 13 Months In 6 Minutes
[269] Wu-Tang Clan | Protect Ya Neck
[673] Wu-Tang Clan | C.R.E.A.M.
[944] Wu-Tang Clan | I Can't Go To Sleep
[135] Robert Wyatt | Sea Song
[970] Robert Wyatt | Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road
[297] XTC | Making Plans for Nigel
[467] XTC | Dear God
[278] Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Maps
[301] Neil Young | Cortez The Killer
[347] Neil Young | Southern Man
[349] Neil Young | Heart of Gold
[357] Neil Young | After The Gold Rush
[361] Neil Young | Rockin' In The Free World
[440] Neil Young | Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
[572] Neil Young | The Needle and The Damage Done
[854] Neil Young | Ambulance Blues
[326] The Zombies | Hung Up on a Dream
[487] The Zombies | She's Not There
[491] The Zombies | Care of Cell 44
[495] The Zombies | Time of The Season
[565] The Zombies | This Will Be Our Year
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Awesome presentation sonofsamiam! I could only be here for the beginning, but it's been a joy to read through. The results are really cool as well, but it does make me wonder to which extent is the change in the list due to a change in formula. If you have time could you post the top 25 or something using the formula we used last time?
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Stephan wrote:Awesome presentation sonofsamiam! I could only be here for the beginning, but it's been a joy to read through. The results are really cool as well, but it does make me wonder to which extent is the change in the list due to a change in formula. If you have time could you post the top 25 or something using the formula we used last time?
Stephan, do you have the formula from last time on hand?
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

For more perusing fun, here is the list broken down by release date (or approximate date for the older items)

1888 [323] Erik Satie | Gymnopédie n°1
1893 [509] Erik Satie | Gnossienne n°1
1905 [505] Claude Debussy | Clair de Lune
1913 [587] Igor Stravinsky | Tableau II, Le sacrifice: Section VI, Danse sacrale - L'élue
1927 [644] Blind Willie Johnson | Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground
1929 [421] Louis Armstrong | St. James Infirmary
1929 [951] Trió Matamoros | Lágrimas Negras
1936 [782] Leadbelly | Goodnight Irene
1936 [831] Robert Johnson | Cross Road Blues
1936 [898] Robert Johnson | Sweet Home Chicago
1937 [843] Robert Johnson | Love In Vain Blues
1939 [022] Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit
1939 [298] Judy Garland | Somewhere Over The Rainbow
1940 [763] Sergei Prokofiev | The Knights' Dance (Montagues and Capulets)
1944 [637] Leadbelly | Where Did You Sleep Last Night?
1945 [595] Édith Piaf | La vie en rose
1947 [842] Nat King Cole | Nature Boy
1949 [862] Hank Williams | I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
1954 [438] Elvis Presley | That's All Right
1954 [459] Bill Haley and His Comets | (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
1954 [616] Ray Charles | I've Got a Woman
1954 [738] Georges Brassens | La Marine
1954 [896] Chet Baker | My Funny Valentine
1955 [131] Little Richard | Tutti Frutti
1955 [425] Chuck Berry | Maybellene
1955 [521] Muddy Waters | Mannish Boy
1955 [567] Bo Diddley | Bo Diddley
1955 [796] Frank Sinatra | In The Wee Small Hours of The Morning
1955 [823] Elvis Presley | Mystery Train
1955 [851] Julie London | Cry Me a River
1956 [167] Johnny Cash | I Walk The Line
1956 [172] Elvis Presley | Heartbreak Hotel
1956 [181] Johnny Cash | Folsom Prison Blues
1956 [199] Elvis Presley | Hound Dog
1956 [307] Screamin' Jay Hawkins | I Put a Spell on You
1956 [570] Little Richard | Long Tall Sally
1956 [589] Howlin' Wolf | Smokestack Lightnin'
1956 [787] Georges Brassens | Je me suis fait tout petit
1956 [799] Fats Domino | Blueberry Hill
1956 [846] Carl Perkins | Blue Suede Shoes
1956 [885] Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps | Be-Bop-a-Lula
1957 [237] Jerry Lee Lewis | Great Balls of Fire
1957 [255] Buddy Holly and The Crickets | That'll Be The Day
1957 [417] Elvis Presley | Jailhouse Rock
1957 [604] Jerry Lee Lewis | Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
1957 [621] Buddy Holly and The Crickets | Peggy Sue
1958 [025] Chuck Berry | Johnny B. Goode
1958 [413] Eddie Cochran | Summertime Blues
1958 [523] Nina Simone | My Baby Just Cares for Me
1958 [692] The Everly Brothers | All I Have To Do Is Dream
1958 [700] Little Richard | Good Golly Miss Molly
1958 [875] Link Wray | Rumble
1958 [903] Jackie Wilson | Lonely Teardrops
1958 [932] Ritchie Valens | La Bamba
1959 [098] Ray Charles | What'd I Say
1959 [253] Miles Davis | So What
1959 [344] Dave Brubeck Quartet | Take Five
1959 [449] The Flamingos | I Only Have Eyes for You
1959 [468] Jacques Brel | Ne me quitte pas
1959 [631] Henri Salvador | Dans mon île
1959 [839] The Isley Brothers | Shout (Parts 1 and 2)
1959 [975] Jacques Brel | La valse à mille temps
1960 [271] Sam Cooke | Wonderful World
1960 [529] The Shirelles | Will You Love Me Tomorrow
1960 [547] Etta James | At Last
1960 [557] Ray Charles | Georgia on My Mind
1960 [615] Patsy Cline | Crazy
1960 [781] Miles Davis | Concierto de Aranjuez (Adagio)
1960 [814] Bernard Herrmann | Psycho: Prelude/ The Murder: Finale
1960 [860] Roy Orbison | Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
1961 [109] Ben E. King | Stand By Me
1961 [132] John Coltrane | My Favorite Things
1961 [258] Roy Orbison | Crying
1961 [294] Del Shannon | Runaway
1961 [841] John Coltrane | Olé
1962 [179] Dick Dale and His Del-Tones | Miserlou
1962 [203] Booker T. and The MG's | Green Onions
1962 [686] Sam Cooke | Bring It on Home To Me
1963 [024] The Ronettes | Be My Baby
1963 [139] Roy Orbison | In Dreams
1963 [200] Charles Mingus | Modes D, E, F: Trio and Group Dancers, Single Solos and Group Dance, Group and Solo Dance
1963 [243] Stan Getz and João Gilberto | The Girl from Ipanema
1963 [277] The Beatles | I Want To Hold Your Hand
1963 [286] The Kingsmen | Louie, Louie
1963 [324] Bob Dylan | Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
1963 [342] Bob Dylan | Blowin' In The Wind
1963 [354] Johnny Cash | Ring of Fire
1963 [488] The Beatles | She Loves You
1963 [501] Bob Dylan | A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
1963 [607] Bob Dylan | Masters of War
1963 [837] The Beatles | Twist and Shout
1964 [061] The Animals | House of The Rising Sun
1964 [065] The Kinks | You Really Got Me
1964 [122] Jacques Brel | Amsterdam
1964 [158] The Temptations | My Girl
1964 [161] Martha and The Vandellas | Dancing In The Street
1964 [191] The Beach Boys | Don't Worry Baby
1964 [254] The Beach Boys | I Get Around
1964 [272] The Righteous Brothers | You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
1964 [285] The Beatles | A Hard Day's Night
1964 [487] The Zombies | She's Not There
1964 [497] Roy Orbison | Oh, Pretty Woman
1964 [499] Dionne Warwick | Walk on By
1964 [652] Bob Dylan | The Times They Are A-Changin'
1964 [894] The Beatles | Eight Days a Week
1965 [002] Bob Dylan | Like a Rolling Stone
1965 [018] The Rolling Stones | (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
1965 [038] The Mamas and The Papas | California Dreamin'
1965 [040] Sam Cooke | A Change Is Gonna Come
1965 [066] Bob Dylan | Subterranean Homesick Blues
1965 [083] The Who | My Generation
1965 [097] The Beatles | In My Life
1965 [099] Bob Dylan | Desolation Row
1965 [110] Smokey Robinson and The Miracles | The Tracks of My Tears
1965 [114] Simon and Garfunkel | The Sound of Silence
1965 [120] The Beatles | Yesterday
1965 [133] The Beatles | Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
1965 [141] The Beatles | Help!
1965 [155] Nina Simone | Sinnerman
1965 [204] John Coltrane | Acknowledgement
1965 [244] Otis Redding | I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)
1965 [264] Bob Dylan | Ballad of a Thin Man
1965 [267] Bob Dylan | It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
1965 [345] Bob Dylan | Love Minus Zero/No Limit
1965 [350] James Brown | I Got You (I Feel Good)
1965 [367] The Byrds | Mr. Tambourine Man
1965 [388] The Impressions | People Get Ready
1965 [428] Bob Dylan | Mr. Tambourine Man
1965 [471] James Brown | Papa's Got a Brand New Bag
1965 [481] The Righteous Brothers | Unchained Melody
1965 [566] The Supremes | Stop! In The Name of Love
1965 [598] Bob Dylan | Positively 4th Street
1965 [702] Jacques Brel | Ces gens-là
1965 [730] Jackson C. Frank | I Want To Be Alone (Dialogue)
1965 [758] Wilson Pickett | In The Midnight Hour
1965 [813] The Who | I Can't Explain
1965 [848] The Beatles | Ticket to Ride
1965 [906] John Coltrane | Psalm
1965 [991] The Beatles | You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
1966 [006] The Beach Boys | Good Vibrations
1966 [015] The Beach Boys | God Only Knows
1966 [031] The Beatles | Tomorrow Never Knows
1966 [034] The Rolling Stones | Paint It, Black
1966 [068] The Four Tops | Reach Out I'll Be There
1966 [093] The Beatles | Eleanor Rigby
1966 [113] The Velvet Underground | Sunday Morning
1966 [136] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Hey Joe
1966 [182] The Byrds | Eight Miles High
1966 [287] Otis Redding | Try a Little Tenderness
1966 [306] James Brown | It's a Man's Man's Man's World
1966 [310] Percy Sledge | When a Man Loves a Woman
1966 [332] Bob Dylan | Visions of Johanna
1966 [358] Ike and Tina Turner | River Deep - Mountain High
1966 [387] Bob Dylan | Just Like a Woman
1966 [420] The Lovin' Spoonful | Summer In The City
1966 [439] The Rolling Stones | Under My Thumb
1966 [444] Spencer Davis Group | Gimme Some Lovin'
1966 [477] ? and The Mysterians | 96 Tears
1966 [484] The Beach Boys | Wouldn't It Be Nice
1966 [538] The Beatles | She Said She Said
1966 [541] Ennio Morricone | L'estasi dell'oro (The Ecstasy of Gold)
1966 [552] Bob Dylan | I Want You
1966 [626] Bob Dylan | Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands
1966 [647] The Beatles | And Your Bird Can Sing
1966 [708] The Temptations | Ain't Too Proud To Beg
1966 [769] The Beatles | Rain
1966 [770] The Beatles | Paperback Writer
1966 [865] The Supremes | You Can't Hurry Love
1966 [915] The Beatles | Here, There and Everywhere
1966 [930] The Hollies | Bus Stop
1966 [943] The Monkees | I'm a Believer
1966 [956] The Association | Cherish
1966 [972] The Beatles | For No One
1967 [003] The Beatles | A Day In The Life
1967 [019] The Kinks | Waterloo Sunset
1967 [035] The Beatles | Strawberry Fields Forever
1967 [047] The Velvet Underground | Heroin
1967 [055] The Beatles | I Am The Walrus
1967 [060] The Doors | Light My Fire
1967 [075] Aretha Franklin | Respect
1967 [096] The Velvet Underground | Venus In Furs
1967 [107] The Velvet Underground | I'm Waiting for The Man
1967 [118] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Purple Haze
1967 [138] Van Morrison | Brown Eyed Girl
1967 [177] Procol Harum | A Whiter Shade of Pale
1967 [198] The Jefferson Airplane | White Rabbit
1967 [225] The Doors | The End
1967 [232] Love | Alone Again Or
1967 [238] Louis Armstrong | What a Wonderful World
1967 [260] The Moody Blues | Nights in White Satin
1967 [273] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Little Wing
1967 [291] Buffalo Springfield | For What It's Worth
1967 [312] The Velvet Underground | All Tomorrow's Parties
1967 [313] Cream | Sunshine of Your Love
1967 [373] The Beatles | Penny Lane
1967 [404] Love | You Set The Scene
1967 [406] The Who | I Can See for Miles
1967 [435] The Jefferson Airplane | Somebody To Love
1967 [462] Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell | Ain't No Mountain High Enough
1967 [489] The Doors | Break on Through (To The Other Side)
1967 [510] The Turtles | Happy Together
1967 [515] Sam and Dave | Soul Man
1967 [608] Jackie Wilson | (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher
1967 [667] Leonard Cohen | Suzanne
1967 [683] Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot | Bonnie and Clyde
1967 [724] Serge Gainsbourg | Initials B.B.
1967 [751] Leonard Cohen | So Long, Marianne
1967 [789] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Manic Depression
1967 [819] The Association | Never My Love
1967 [827] Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood | Some Velvet Morning
1967 [929] Smokey Robinson and The Miracles | The Tears of a Clown
1967 [946] Love | The Red Telephone
1967 [949] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Bold As Love
1967 [987] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Fire
1967 [993] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Are You Experienced
1968 [007] Otis Redding | (Sittin' on) The Dock of The Bay
1968 [008] Jimi Hendrix Experience | All Along The Watchtower
1968 [011] The Rolling Stones | Sympathy for The Devil
1968 [021] Marvin Gaye | I Heard It Through The Grapevine
1968 [057] The Beatles | Hey Jude
1968 [125] The Band | The Weight
1968 [145] Dusty Springfield | Son of a Preacher Man
1968 [146] The Beatles | While My Guitar Gently Weeps
1968 [147] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
1968 [189] The Rolling Stones | Jumpin' Jack Flash
1968 [221] Sly and The Family Stone | Everyday People
1968 [248] The Rolling Stones | Street Fighting Man
1968 [274] Glen Campbell | Wichita Lineman
1968 [281] The Beatles | Revolution
1968 [299] Steppenwolf | Born To Be Wild
1968 [309] Simon and Garfunkel | America
1968 [326] The Zombies | Hung Up on a Dream
1968 [327] The Beatles | Happiness Is a Warm Gun
1968 [384] Aretha Franklin | Think
1968 [399] Cream | White Room
1968 [464] Aretha Franklin | Chain of Fools
1968 [491] The Zombies | Care of Cell 44
1968 [495] The Zombies | Time of The Season
1968 [542] Os Mutantes | Panis et Circenses
1968 [565] The Zombies | This Will Be Our Year
1968 [576] The Rolling Stones | Jigsaw Puzzle
1968 [578] The Velvet Underground | Sister Ray
1968 [597] Simon and Garfunkel | Mrs. Robinson
1968 [624] Van Morrison | Madame George
1968 [636] The Beatles | Blackbird
1968 [642] The Beatles | Dear Prudence
1968 [660] Jacques Dutronc | Il est cinq heures... Paris s'éveille
1968 [666] Van Morrison | Astral Weeks
1968 [668] Tommy James and The Shondells | Crimson and Clover
1968 [703] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Burning of The Midnight Lamp
1968 [705] Aretha Franklin | I Say a Little Prayer
1968 [717] Van Morrison | Sweet Thing
1968 [755] The Beatles | Helter Skelter
1968 [765] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Crosstown Traffic
1968 [780] The Rolling Stones | Stray Cat Blues
1968 [802] The Beatles | Julia
1968 [806] The Millennium | Prelude/To Claudia on Thursday
1968 [821] Sly and The Family Stone | Dance To The Music
1968 [891] The Monkees | Porpoise Song
1968 [938] The Beatles | Rocky Raccoon
1968 [941] Donovan | Hurdy Gurdy Man
1968 [961] The Beatles | Sexy Sadie
1968 [976] Serge Gainsbourg | Requiem pour un con
1968 [984] The United States of America | The American Way of Love
1969 [001] The Rolling Stones | Gimme Shelter
1969 [039] David Bowie | Space Oddity
1969 [076] Elvis Presley | Suspicious Minds
1969 [080] The Stooges | I Wanna Be Your Dog
1969 [092] The Jackson 5 | I Want You Back
1969 [126] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Fortunate Son
1969 [144] The Beatles | Come Together
1969 [150] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Proud Mary
1969 [157] Simon and Garfunkel | The Boxer
1969 [164] Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin | Je t'aime ... moi non plus
1969 [176] Nick Drake | River Man
1969 [183] Pharoah Sanders | The Creator Has a Master Plan
1969 [188] The Beatles | Something
1969 [233] The Rolling Stones | You Can't Always Get What You Want
1969 [245] The Beatles | Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
1969 [268] The Velvet Underground | Pale Blue Eyes
1969 [292] Led Zeppelin | Whole Lotta Love
1969 [295] The Beatles | You Never Give Me Your Money
1969 [322] The Beatles | Here Comes The Sun
1969 [364] The Kinks | Shangri-La
1969 [383] The Band | The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
1969 [393] The MC5 | Kick Out The Jams
1969 [401] Led Zeppelin | Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
1969 [518] Jimmy Cliff | Many Rivers To Cross
1969 [551] Desmond Dekker | The Israelites
1969 [571] The Who | Pinball Wizard
1969 [581] King Crimson | 21st Century Schizoid Man
1969 [602] The Rolling Stones | Honky Tonk Women
1969 [639] Sly and The Family Stone | Stand!
1969 [648] The Rolling Stones | Midnight Rambler
1969 [670] Crosby, Stills and Nash | Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
1969 [718] Nick Drake | Three Hours
1969 [723] Scott Walker | The Seventh Seal
1969 [748] The Who | We're Not Gonna Take It
1969 [750] Led Zeppelin | Dazed and Confused
1969 [775] The Beatles | Get Back
1969 [786] Sly and The Family Stone | I Want To Take You Higher
1969 [820] The Velvet Underground | I'm Set Free
1969 [895] The Band | Whispering Pines
1969 [920] Colosseum | The Valentyne Suite
1969 [922] David Axelrod | The Human Abstract
1969 [986] The 5th Dimension | Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In
1969 [999] Led Zeppelin | Ramble On
1970 [048] Derek and The Dominoes | Layla
1970 [077] Simon and Garfunkel | Bridge Over Troubled Water
1970 [116] The Beatles | Let It Be
1970 [119] James Brown | Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine
1970 [186] The Velvet Underground | Sweet Jane
1970 [209] Elton John | Your Song
1970 [214] Sly and The Family Stone | Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)
1970 [231] Curtis Mayfield | Move on Up
1970 [240] The Art Ensemble of Chicago | Theme de Yo-Yo
1970 [251] The Beatles | Across The Universe
1970 [302] Simon and Garfunkel | The Only Living Boy In New York
1970 [315] The Velvet Underground | Rock and Roll
1970 [335] Black Sabbath | Paranoid
1970 [347] Neil Young | Southern Man
1970 [351] Van Morrison | Moondance
1970 [357] Neil Young | After The Gold Rush
1970 [461] George Harrison | My Sweet Lord
1970 [482] John Lennon | Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)
1970 [493] Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young | Ohio
1970 [506] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
1970 [508] John Lennon | Working Class Hero
1970 [528] Paul McCartney | Maybe I'm Amazed
1970 [553] Led Zeppelin | Since I've Been Loving You
1970 [601] The Kinks | Lola
1970 [619] Van Morrison | Into The Mystic
1970 [628] Van Morrison | And It Stoned Me
1970 [638] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Run Through The Jungle
1970 [681] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Ramble Tamble
1970 [690] Edwin Starr | War
1970 [729] Cat Stevens | Father and Son
1970 [740] Exuma | Exuma, The Obeah Man
1970 [760] Black Sabbath | Iron Man
1970 [783] The Stooges | 1970
1970 [784] Deep Purple | Child in Time
1970 [798] James Taylor | Fire and Rain
1970 [807] The Stooges | TV Eye
1970 [901] Toots and The Maytals | Pressure Drop
1970 [934] The Stooges | Loose
1970 [950] Cat Stevens | Wild World
1970 [965] Black Sabbath | Black Sabbath
1970 [974] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Lookin' Out My Back Door
1971 [005] Led Zeppelin | Stairway to Heaven
1971 [027] David Bowie | Life on Mars?
1971 [037] Marvin Gaye | What's Going On
1971 [051] The Who | Won't Get Fooled Again
1971 [054] The Who | Baba O'Riley
1971 [058] Al Green | Let's Stay Together
1971 [062] John Lennon | Imagine
1971 [108] Sly and The Family Stone | Family Affair
1971 [124] The Doors | Riders on The Storm
1971 [137] Funkadelic | Maggot Brain
1971 [148] David Bowie | Changes
1971 [156] Led Zeppelin | When The Levee Breaks
1971 [160] The Who | Behind Blue Eyes
1971 [236] Bill Withers | Ain't No Sunshine
1971 [239] Marvin Gaye | Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)
1971 [261] The Rolling Stones | Brown Sugar
1971 [263] The Beach Boys | Surf's Up
1971 [316] The Rolling Stones | Wild Horses
1971 [319] Rod Stewart | Maggie May
1971 [346] Elton John | Tiny Dancer
1971 [391] T. Rex | Bang a Gong (Get It On)
1971 [410] Don McLean | American Pie
1971 [473] Leonard Cohen | Famous Blue Raincoat
1971 [475] Can | Halleluhwah
1971 [550] Serge Gainsbourg | Cargo Culte
1971 [594] Charles Mingus | The Shoes of The Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive-Ass Slippers
1971 [659] The Temptations | Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
1971 [661] Lou Christie | Paint America Love
1971 [677] Gil Scott-Heron | Home Is Where the Hatred Is
1971 [695] Pink Floyd | Echoes
1971 [697] James Brown | Make It Funky, Pt. 1
1971 [704] Karen Dalton | Katie Cruel
1971 [716] Gil Scott-Heron | The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
1971 [754] Can | Oh Yeah
1971 [762] Led Zeppelin | The Battle of Evermore
1971 [790] The Rolling Stones | Moonlight Mile
1971 [794] Led Zeppelin | Black Dog
1971 [800] Léo Ferré | Avec le temps
1971 [852] John Lennon | Jealous Guy
1971 [861] Marvin Gaye | Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
1971 [873] Joni Mitchell | River
1971 [874] Rotary Connection | I Am The Black Gold of The Sun
1971 [904] Bob Marley and The Wailers | Sun Is Shining
1971 [937] Funkadelic | Can You Get To That
1971 [963] The Rolling Stones | Sister Morphine
1971 [992] The Rolling Stones | Can't You Hear Me Knocking
1972 [010] Stevie Wonder | Superstition
1972 [036] Lou Reed | Walk on The Wild Side
1972 [140] David Bowie | Starman
1972 [143] Lou Reed | Perfect Day
1972 [215] The Temptations | Papa Was a Rollin' Stone
1972 [234] David Bowie | Ziggy Stardust
1972 [276] Deep Purple | Smoke on The Water
1972 [308] The Rolling Stones | Rocks Off
1972 [349] Neil Young | Heart of Gold
1972 [352] Elton John | Rocket Man
1972 [414] David Bowie | Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
1972 [470] David Bowie | Suffragette City
1972 [474] David Bowie | Moonage Daydream
1972 [520] Roxy Music | If There Is Something
1972 [545] Mott The Hoople | All The Young Dudes
1972 [572] Neil Young | The Needle and The Damage Done
1972 [579] Big Star | Thirteen
1972 [622] Roxy Music | Virginia Plain
1972 [662] Townes Van Zandt | Pancho and Lefty
1972 [720] Jimmy Cliff | The Harder They Come
1972 [737] David Bowie | Five Years
1972 [747] The Rolling Stones | Tumbling Dice
1972 [761] Steely Dan | Reelin' In The Years
1972 [772] Randy Newman | Sail Away
1972 [776] Todd Rundgren | Hello It's Me
1972 [788] Paul Simon | Mother and Child Reunion
1972 [795] Neu! | Hallogallo
1972 [815] Lou Reed | Satellite of Love
1972 [958] Bill Withers | Lean on Me
1972 [973] The Rolling Stones | Shine a Light
1972 [982] The Spinners | I'll Be Around
1972 [989] Curtis Mayfield | Freddie's Dead
1973 [089] Stevie Wonder | Living for The City
1973 [103] Lynyrd Skynyrd | Free Bird
1973 [115] Iggy and The Stooges | Search and Destroy
1973 [170] Pink Floyd | Time
1973 [174] Marvin Gaye | Let's Get It On
1973 [206] Bobby Womack | Across 110th Street
1973 [262] Aerosmith | Dream On
1973 [340] Bob Dylan | Knockin' on Heaven's Door
1973 [365] Curtis Mayfield | Right on for The Darkness
1973 [402] Bob Marley and The Wailers | Get Up, Stand Up
1973 [430] David Bowie | Aladdin Sane
1973 [483] Pink Floyd | Money
1973 [543] Led Zeppelin | Over The Hills and Far Away
1973 [596] Stevie Wonder | Higher Ground
1973 [613] Roxy Music | Editions of You
1973 [656] Brian Eno | Needles In The Camel's Eye
1973 [663] Led Zeppelin | D'yer Mak'er
1973 [698] Gladys Knight and The Pips | Midnight Train to Georgia
1973 [699] Bruce Springsteen | Spirit In The Night
1973 [725] Led Zeppelin | The Song Remains The Same
1973 [757] Dolly Parton | Jolene
1973 [777] Stevie Wonder | He's Misstra Know-It-All
1973 [792] Roxy Music | A Song for Europe
1973 [810] Paul McCartney and Wings | Band on The Run
1973 [833] Donny Hathaway | I Love The Lord (He Heard My Cry), pts. 1 and 2
1973 [836] Steely Dan | My Old School
1973 [845] Sly and The Family Stone | If You Want Me To Stay
1973 [850] Brian Eno | Baby's on Fire
1973 [856] Rahsaan Roland Kirk | Saxophone Concerto
1973 [892] Led Zeppelin | The Rain Song
1973 [911] The Rolling Stones | Angie
1973 [925] Pink Floyd | The Great Gig In The Sky
1973 [926] Tom Waits | Martha
1973 [933] Roberta Flack | Killing Me Softly With His Song
1973 [978] Al Green | Jesus Is Waiting
1974 [070] Bob Marley and The Wailers | No Woman, No Cry
1974 [135] Robert Wyatt | Sea Song
1974 [159] Big Star | September Gurls
1974 [356] King Crimson | Starless
1974 [454] David Bowie | Rebel Rebel
1974 [476] Lynyrd Skynyrd | Sweet Home Alabama
1974 [486] Kraftwerk | Autobahn
1974 [854] Neil Young | Ambulance Blues
1974 [884] Patti Smith | Piss Factory
1974 [954] George McCrae | Rock Your Baby
1974 [970] Robert Wyatt | Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road
1974 [980] Joni Mitchell | Free Man In Paris
1974 [988] Bachman-Turner Overdrive | You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet
1975 [016] Bruce Springsteen | Born To Run
1975 [033] Queen | Bohemian Rhapsody
1975 [041] Pink Floyd | Wish You Were Here
1975 [043] Bob Dylan | Tangled Up In Blue
1975 [072] Patti Smith | Gloria
1975 [073] Bruce Springsteen | Thunder Road
1975 [142] Led Zeppelin | Kashmir
1975 [190] Aerosmith | Walk This Way
1975 [301] Neil Young | Cortez The Killer
1975 [492] Bruce Springsteen | Jungleland
1975 [584] Brian Eno | Golden Hours
1975 [640] Bob Dylan | Shelter From The Storm
1975 [675] Kraftwerk | Radioaktivität
1975 [719] Led Zeppelin | Trampled Under Foot
1975 [721] Eagles | One of These Nights
1975 [791] Jefferson Starship | Miracles
1975 [840] Roxy Music | Love Is The Drug
1975 [844] Fleetwood Mac | Rhiannon
1975 [857] Patti Smith | Land: Horses/Land of a Thousand Dances/La Mer (de)
1975 [871] Steely Dan | Doctor Wu
1975 [872] Gavin Bryars | Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet
1975 [907] Led Zeppelin | In My Time of Dying
1975 [916] Pink Floyd | Shine on You Crazy Diamond
1975 [918] Mahmoud Ahmed | Erè Mèla Mèla
1975 [939] Brian Eno | The Big Ship
1975 [979] America | Sister Golden Hair
1976 [069] Eagles | Hotel California
1976 [153] The Sex Pistols | Anarchy In The U.K.
1976 [178] Bob Dylan | Hurricane
1976 [230] Boston | More Than a Feeling
1976 [280] The Ramones | Blitzkrieg Bop
1976 [343] ABBA | Dancing Queen
1976 [418] Blue Öyster Cult | (Don't Fear) The Reaper
1976 [452] Tom Waits | Tom Traubert's Blues
1976 [485] Stevie Wonder | I Wish
1976 [562] Stevie Wonder | As
1976 [585] The Modern Lovers | Roadrunner
1976 [726] David Bowie | Station To Station
1976 [734] Heart | Crazy on You
1976 [771] Stevie Wonder | Sir Duke
1977 [004] David Bowie | "Heroes"
1977 [063] Television | Marquee Moon
1977 [074] The Bee Gees | Stayin' Alive
1977 [151] Elvis Costello | Alison
1977 [165] Fela Kuti | Zombie
1977 [173] Fleetwood Mac | Go Your Own Way
1977 [217] Iggy Pop | Lust for Life
1977 [223] Donna Summer | I Feel Love
1977 [289] Iggy Pop | The Passenger
1977 [293] The Sex Pistols | God Save The Queen
1977 [334] The Ramones | Sheena Is a Punk Rocker
1977 [378] Talking Heads | Psycho Killer
1977 [422] The Bee Gees | How Deep Is Your Love
1977 [423] Parliament | Flash Light
1977 [494] Peter Gabriel | Solsbury Hill
1977 [498] Kraftwerk | Trans-Europe Express
1977 [517] Wire | Mannequin
1977 [564] David Bowie | Sound and Vision
1977 [614] Fleetwood Mac | The Chain
1977 [629] Brian Eno | By This River
1977 [712] The Clash | Complete Control
1977 [853] Dennis Wilson | River Song
1977 [863] Elvis Costello | Watching The Detectives
1977 [900] David Bowie | Warszawa
1977 [931] Eric Clapton | Cocaine
1977 [983] Queen | We Are The Champions
1978 [127] The Clash | (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
1978 [187] Dire Straits | Sultans of Swing
1978 [205] Kraftwerk | Das Model
1978 [265] The Only Ones | Another Girl, Another Planet
1978 [304] The Cars | Just What I Needed
1978 [368] The Undertones | Teenage Kicks
1978 [380] Gang of Four | Damaged Goods
1978 [434] Queen | Don't Stop Me Now
1978 [437] Buzzcocks | Ever Fallen in Love?
1978 [448] Blondie | Heart of Glass
1978 [458] Wire | Outdoor Miner
1978 [469] Kate Bush | Wuthering Heights
1978 [535] The Police | Roxanne
1978 [575] Gloria Gaynor | I Will Survive
1978 [693] Elvis Costello and The Attractions | Radio Radio
1978 [732] Chic | Le Freak
1978 [756] The Rolling Stones | Miss You
1978 [785] Funkadelic | One Nation Under a Groove
1978 [887] Bruce Springsteen | Adam Raised a Cain
1978 [945] The B-52's | Rock Lobster
1978 [977] Van Halen | Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
1978 [981] Kraftwerk | Neon Lights
1979 [009] The Clash | London Calling
1979 [112] The Clash | Train In Vain (Stand By Me)
1979 [213] Pink Floyd | Comfortably Numb
1979 [270] Michael Jackson | Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
1979 [297] XTC | Making Plans for Nigel
1979 [341] Pink Floyd | Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2
1979 [411] Chic | Good Times
1979 [431] The Clash | The Guns of Brixton
1979 [440] Neil Young | Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
1979 [465] The Clash | Spanish Bombs
1979 [546] The Cure | Boys Don't Cry
1979 [556] The Sugarhill Gang | Rapper's Delight
1979 [665] The Police | Message in a Bottle
1979 [688] Camarón de la Isla | La leyenda del tiempo
1979 [752] Joy Division | Disorder
1979 [864] The Pretenders | Brass In Pocket
1979 [990] Blondie | Atomic
1979 [996] Sister Sledge | Lost In Music
1979 [1000] Tubeway Army | Are 'Friends' Electric?
1980 [023] Joy Division | Love Will Tear Us Apart
1980 [030] Talking Heads | Once In a Lifetime
1980 [196] The Jam | That's Entertainment
1980 [290] The Cure | A Forest
1980 [359] Blondie | Call Me
1980 [366] The Jam | Going Underground
1980 [397] The Clash | The Magnificent Seven
1980 [424] David Bowie | Ashes To Ashes
1980 [450] Talking Heads | The Great Curve
1980 [456] AC/DC | You Shook Me All Night Long
1980 [500] Motörhead | Ace of Spades
1980 [511] Bruce Springsteen | The River
1980 [560] Joy Division | Atmosphere
1980 [568] AC/DC | Back In Black
1980 [630] Joy Division | Decades
1980 [684] Prince | When You Were Mine
1980 [713] Bob Marley and The Wailers | Redemption Song
1981 [175] The Human League | Don't You Want Me
1981 [211] The Specials | Ghost Town
1981 [246] Soft Cell | Tainted Love
1981 [266] R.E.M. | Radio Free Europe
1981 [512] Queen and David Bowie | Under Pressure
1981 [561] Kraftwerk | Computer Love
1981 [618] Mission of Burma | That's When I Reach for My Revolver
1981 [653] The Rolling Stones | Start Me Up
1981 [773] Journey | Don't Stop Believin'
1981 [824] The Human League | Love Action (I Believe in Love)
1981 [869] Prince | Controversy
1981 [909] The Stranglers | Golden Brown
1981 [928] Phil Collins | In The Air Tonight
1981 [966] Kraftwerk | Pocket Calculator
1982 [014] Michael Jackson | Billie Jean
1982 [049] Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five | The Message
1982 [169] Michael Jackson | Beat It
1982 [227] Bruce Springsteen | Atlantic City
1982 [256] Prince | 1999
1982 [288] New Order | Temptation
1982 [317] Prince | Little Red Corvette
1982 [392] Elvis Costello and The Attractions | Beyond Belief
1982 [443] Violent Femmes | Blister In The Sun
1982 [514] The Clash | Rock The Casbah
1982 [549] Michael Jackson | Thriller
1982 [569] Dire Straits | Private Investigations
1982 [680] Marvin Gaye | Sexual Healing
1982 [742] Iron Maiden | Hallowed Be Thy Name
1982 [778] Dexys Midnight Runners | Come on Eileen
1982 [828] The Who | Eminence Front
1983 [053] U2 | Sunday Bloody Sunday
1983 [067] New Order | Blue Monday
1983 [090] Eurythmics | Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
1983 [106] The Police | Every Breath You Take
1983 [149] The Smiths | This Charming Man
1983 [739] Talking Heads | This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
1983 [832] Talking Heads | Burning Down The House
1983 [936] David Bowie | Let's Dance
1984 [013] Prince | When Doves Cry
1984 [085] The Smiths | How Soon Is Now?
1984 [117] Prince | Purple Rain
1984 [192] Don Henley | The Boys of Summer
1984 [314] Van Halen | Jump
1984 [330] The Replacements | Unsatisfied
1984 [375] Prince | Let's Go Crazy
1984 [385] The Replacements | I Will Dare
1984 [389] Bruce Springsteen | Born In The U.S.A.
1984 [419] Cyndi Lauper | Time After Time
1984 [426] A-ha | Take on Me
1984 [442] Arvo Pärt | Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten
1984 [590] U2 | Pride (In The Name of Love)
1984 [592] Madonna | Like a Virgin
1984 [599] Bruce Springsteen | Dancing In The Dark
1984 [635] The Replacements | Answering Machine
1984 [650] Echo and The Bunnymen | The Killing Moon
1984 [859] Alphaville | Forever Young
1985 [201] The Jesus and Mary Chain | Just Like Honey
1985 [353] Prince | Raspberry Beret
1985 [412] Tom Waits | Jockey Full of Bourbon
1985 [415] Kate Bush | Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
1985 [537] Simple Minds | Don't You (Forget About Me)
1985 [603] The Replacements | Bastards of Young
1985 [620] Madonna | Into The Groove
1985 [623] Tom Waits | Downtown Train
1985 [889] Ry Cooder | Paris, Texas
1985 [905] Dire Straits | Money for Nothing
1985 [959] The Cure | A Night Like This
1986 [056] The Smiths | There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
1986 [128] Prince | Kiss
1986 [355] The Smiths | Bigmouth Strikes Again
1986 [390] Run-D.M.C. feat. Aerosmith | Walk This Way
1986 [445] Metallica | Master of Puppets
1986 [451] Elvis Costello and The Attractions | I Want You
1986 [467] XTC | Dear God
1986 [606] Prince | Sometimes It Snows In April
1986 [689] R.E.M. | Fall on Me
1986 [801] Peter Gabriel | In Your Eyes
1986 [816] New Order | Bizarre Love Triangle
1986 [882] Hüsker Dü | Sorry Somehow
1987 [050] U2 | With or Without You
1987 [059] Guns N' Roses | Sweet Child O' Mine
1987 [152] Prince | Sign 'O' The Times
1987 [242] The Cure | Just Like Heaven
1987 [348] U2 | I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
1987 [372] R.E.M. | It's The End of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
1987 [455] U2 | Where The Streets Have No Name
1987 [544] Public Enemy | Bring The Noise
1987 [548] R.E.M. | The One I Love
1987 [701] Prince | I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man
1987 [812] The Replacements | Alex Chilton
1987 [866] Prince | The Cross
1987 [955] Eric B. & Rakim | I Know You Got Soul
1987 [957] Guns N' Roses | Welcome To The Jungle
1988 [091] Sonic Youth | Teen Age Riot
1988 [220] The La's | There She Goes
1988 [283] Metallica | One
1988 [311] Pixies | Where Is My Mind?
1988 [363] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | The Mercy Seat
1988 [396] Tracy Chapman | Fast Car
1988 [612] Public Enemy | Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos
1988 [714] Goran Bregovic | Ederlezi
1988 [753] Pixies | Gigantic
1988 [759] Dinosaur Jr. | Freak Scene
1988 [899] N.W.A. | Straight Outta Compton
1988 [919] Leonard Cohen | Everybody Knows
1989 [052] Pixies | Debaser
1989 [084] Public Enemy | Fight The Power
1989 [166] Madonna | Like a Prayer
1989 [197] The Stone Roses | Fools Gold
1989 [212] Pixies | Monkey Gone To Heaven
1989 [226] The Cure | Lullaby
1989 [360] Pixies | Hey
1989 [361] Neil Young | Rockin' In The Free World
1989 [408] Faith No More | Epic
1989 [447] Depeche Mode | Personal Jesus
1989 [519] The Cure | Lovesong
1989 [539] Nine Inch Nails | Head Like a Hole
1989 [672] Pixies | Wave of Mutilation
1989 [706] Pixies | No. 13 Baby
1989 [711] Tom Petty | Free Fallin'
1989 [736] The Stone Roses | I Am The Resurrection
1990 [130] Depeche Mode | Enjoy The Silence
1990 [194] My Bloody Valentine | Soon
1990 [247] Sinéad O'Connor | Nothing Compares 2 U
1990 [403] Deee-Lite | Groove Is In The Heart
1990 [516] Pet Shop Boys | Being Boring
1990 [582] Ride | Vapour Trail
1990 [768] Public Enemy | Welcome To The Terrordome
1990 [825] Happy Mondays | Step On
1990 [948] Primal Scream | Loaded
1991 [020] Nirvana | Smells Like Teen Spirit
1991 [028] U2 | One
1991 [032] R.E.M. | Losing My Religion
1991 [087] Red Hot Chili Peppers | Under The Bridge
1991 [104] Massive Attack | Unfinished Sympathy
1991 [195] Pavement | Summer Babe
1991 [325] Slint | Good Morning, Captain
1991 [336] Pearl Jam | Jeremy
1991 [369] Pearl Jam | Alive
1991 [382] Bob Dylan | Blind Willie McTell
1991 [400] Nirvana | Lithium
1991 [429] Metallica | Enter Sandman
1991 [531] Pearl Jam | Black
1991 [573] Primal Scream | Movin' on Up
1991 [593] A Tribe Called Quest | Scenario
1991 [605] Nirvana | Come As You Are
1991 [876] R.E.M. | Country Feedback
1991 [893] Prince | Cream
1991 [927] Bonnie Raitt | I Can't Make You Love Me
1991 [962] U2 | The Fly
1991 [994] U2 | Until The End of The World
1992 [102] Radiohead | Creep
1992 [259] Eric Clapton | Tears In Heaven
1992 [269] Wu-Tang Clan | Protect Ya Neck
1992 [328] R.E.M. | Nightswimming
1992 [371] R.E.M. | Everybody Hurts
1992 [504] R.E.M. | Drive
1992 [554] Cesária Évora | Sodade
1992 [583] Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Dogg | Nuthin' But a "G" Thang
1992 [610] Tom Waits | I Don't Wanna Grow Up
1992 [669] Rage Against The Machine | Killing In The Name
1992 [746] R.E.M. | Find The River
1992 [817] Alice In Chains | Would?
1992 [870] Screaming Trees | Nearly Lost You
1992 [877] Arrested Development | Tennessee
1992 [888] Tori Amos | Winter
1992 [960] Ice Cube | It Was a Good Day
1993 [071] Beck | Loser
1993 [111] Nirvana | All Apologies
1993 [222] The Breeders | Cannonball
1993 [296] Nirvana | Heart-Shaped Box
1993 [432] PJ Harvey | Rid of Me
1993 [524] The Smashing Pumpkins | Disarm
1993 [657] Stereolab | French Disko
1993 [673] Wu-Tang Clan | C.R.E.A.M.
1993 [678] Bruce Springsteen | Streets of Philadelphia
1993 [715] Rachid Taha | Ya Rayah
1993 [805] Liz Phair | 6'1"
1993 [890] Mazzy Star | Fade Into You
1993 [910] Tindersticks | She's Gone
1993 [913] Disco Inferno | The Last Dance/The Long Dance
1993 [917] Nirvana | Dumb
1993 [942] Tindersticks | City Sickness
1994 [101] Jeff Buckley | Hallelujah
1994 [224] Oasis | Live Forever
1994 [249] Beastie Boys | Sabotage
1994 [275] Pavement | Fillmore Jive
1994 [282] Soundgarden | Black Hole Sun
1994 [362] Portishead | Sour Times
1994 [376] Portishead | Glory Box
1994 [381] Jeff Buckley | Grace
1994 [507] Portishead | Roads
1994 [588] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | Red Right Hand
1994 [609] Pavement | Range Life
1994 [617] Blur | Girls and Boys
1994 [632] Green Day | When I Come Around
1994 [645] Oasis | Supersonic
1994 [646] Pavement | Cut Your Hair
1994 [674] Seal | Kiss from a Rose
1994 [687] Weezer | Say It Ain't So
1994 [743] The Divine Comedy | The Summerhouse
1994 [774] The Notorious B.I.G. | Juicy
1994 [793] Pavement | Gold Soundz
1994 [818] Live | Lightning Crashes
1994 [883] Supergrass | Caught By The Fuzz
1994 [924] Jeff Buckley | Last Goodbye
1995 [029] Pulp | Common People
1995 [064] Oasis | Wonderwall
1995 [162] Radiohead | Fake Plastic Trees
1995 [228] PJ Harvey | Down By The Water
1995 [305] Björk | Hyper-Ballad
1995 [463] Radiohead | Just
1995 [480] The Smashing Pumpkins | 1979
1995 [503] Björk | Isobel
1995 [577] Daft Punk | Da Funk
1995 [643] Radiohead | Street Spirit (Fade Out)
1995 [682] Sonic Youth | The Diamond Sea
1995 [735] Underworld | Born Slippy .NUXX
1995 [764] The Smashing Pumpkins | Tonight, Tonight
1995 [767] Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue | Where The Wild Roses Grow
1995 [834] No Doubt | Don't Speak
1995 [858] Faithless | Insomnia
1995 [880] Radiohead | High and Dry
1995 [912] Ben Harper | Another Lonely Day
1995 [947] Blur | The Universal
1996 [457] DJ Shadow | Building Steam With a Grain of Salt
1996 [522] Tortoise | Djed
1996 [525] Weezer | El Scorcho
1996 [534] The Prodigy | Firestarter
1996 [591] Beck | Devil's Haircut
1996 [744] Busta Rhymes | Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check
1996 [964] DJ Shadow | Midnight In a Perfect World
1997 [012] Radiohead | Paranoid Android
1997 [045] The Verve | Bitter Sweet Symphony
1997 [078] Blur | Song 2
1997 [088] Radiohead | Karma Police
1997 [168] Radiohead | No Surprises
1997 [180] Björk | Bachelorette
1997 [218] The Beta Band | Dry The Rain
1997 [300] Foo Fighters | Everlong
1997 [329] Radiohead | Exit Music (For a Film)
1997 [339] Radiohead | Let Down
1997 [409] Buena Vista Social Club | Chan Chan
1997 [453] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | Into My Arms
1997 [460] The Chemical Brothers | Block Rockin' Beats
1997 [502] Björk | Jóga
1997 [513] Spiritualized | Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
1997 [527] Daft Punk | Around The World
1997 [679] Radiohead | Climbing Up The Walls
1997 [694] Björk | Hunter
1997 [722] Elliott Smith | Between The Bars
1997 [811] Built To Spill | I Would Hurt a Fly
1997 [835] Green Day | Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
1997 [879] Third Eye Blind | Semi-Charmed Life
1998 [121] Massive Attack | Teardrop
1998 [229] Elliott Smith | Waltz #2 (XO)
1998 [398] Massive Attack | Angel
1998 [405] Alain Bashung | La Nuit je mens
1998 [536] Stardust | Music Sounds Better With You
1998 [611] Fatboy Slim | Praise You
1998 [649] The New Radicals | You Get What You Give
1998 [651] Fatboy Slim | The Rockafeller Skank
1998 [676] Neutral Milk Hotel | Holland, 1945
1998 [741] OutKast | Rosa Parks
1998 [749] Beastie Boys | Intergalactic
1998 [804] Goo Goo Dolls | Iris
1998 [902] Mercury Rev | Holes
1998 [985] Boards of Canada | Roygbiv
1999 [241] Sigur Rós | Svefn-g-englar
1999 [379] The Flaming Lips | Race for The Prize
1999 [533] Santana feat. Rob Thomas | Smooth
1999 [707] Moby | Porcelain
1999 [710] Blur | Tender
1999 [808] Bonnie "Prince" Billy | I See a Darkness
1999 [953] Sigur Rós | Viðrar vel til Loftárása
1999 [995] Moby | Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?
2000 [017] OutKast | B.O.B.
2000 [100] Eminem feat. Dido | Stan
2000 [105] OutKast | Ms. Jackson
2000 [208] Radiohead | The National Anthem
2000 [235] The Avalanches | Frontier Psychiatrist
2000 [250] Daft Punk | One More Time
2000 [320] Radiohead | Everything In Its Right Place
2000 [446] Radiohead | How To Disappear Completely
2000 [466] Johnny Cash | The Mercy Seat
2000 [574] Radiohead | Idioteque
2000 [625] The Avalanches | Since I Left You
2000 [745] Coldplay | Yellow
2000 [829] U2 | Beautiful Day
2000 [944] Wu-Tang Clan | I Can't Go To Sleep
2001 [163] Gorillaz | Clint Eastwood
2001 [171] Radiohead | Pyramid Song
2001 [185] The Strokes | Last Nite
2001 [219] Kylie Minogue | Can't Get You Out of My Head
2001 [252] The White Stripes | Fell In Love With a Girl
2001 [394] The Strokes | Hard To Explain
2001 [407] Daft Punk | Digital Love
2001 [559] The White Stripes | Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground
2001 [633] Missy Elliott | Get Ur Freak On
2001 [733] Radiohead | You and Whose Army?
2001 [967] System of a Down | Chop Suey!
2002 [079] Johnny Cash | Hurt
2002 [202] Coldplay | Clocks
2002 [210] Queens of The Stone Age | No One Knows
2002 [257] Eminem | Lose Yourself
2002 [284] LCD Soundsystem | Losing My Edge
2002 [641] Coldplay | The Scientist
2002 [654] The Flaming Lips | Do You Realize??
2002 [655] Wilco | I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
2002 [658] The Flaming Lips | Fight Test
2002 [731] Wilco | Jesus, etc.
2002 [822] Red Hot Chili Peppers | Can't Stop
2002 [847] The Rapture | House of Jealous Lovers
2002 [867] The Roots feat. Cody ChesNUTT | The Seed (2.0)
2002 [952] The Streets | Weak Become Heroes
2003 [026] OutKast | Hey Ya!
2003 [042] The White Stripes | Seven Nation Army
2003 [086] The Knife | Heartbeats
2003 [154] Jay-Z | 99 Problems
2003 [278] Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Maps
2003 [370] Beyonce feat. Jay-Z | Crazy In Love
2003 [436] The White Stripes | The Hardest Button To Button
2003 [586] The Postal Service | Such Great Heights
2003 [627] TV on The Radio | Staring at The Sun
2003 [878] Radiohead | Where I End and You Begin
2003 [968] The Wrens | 13 Months In 6 Minutes
2004 [094] Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out
2004 [095] Arcade Fire | Rebellion (Lies)
2004 [129] Arcade Fire | Wake Up
2004 [496] Annie | Heartbeat
2004 [530] Arcade Fire | In The Backseat
2004 [540] The Walkmen | The Rat
2004 [600] M.I.A. | Galang
2004 [728] Modest Mouse | Float On
2004 [855] The Streets | Blinded By The Lights
2004 [908] The Killers | Mr. Brightside
2004 [914] Arcade Fire | Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
2004 [921] Elliott Smith | Twilight
2004 [940] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | There She Goes, My Beautiful World
2005 [082] Sufjan Stevens | John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
2005 [123] Sufjan Stevens | Chicago
2005 [279] Antony and The Johnsons | Hope There's Someone
2005 [318] Gorillaz | Feel Good Inc.
2005 [374] Arctic Monkeys | I Bet You Look Good on The Dancefloor
2005 [478] The National | Mr. November
2005 [532] Kanye West feat. Cam'ron and Consequence | Gone
2005 [563] Sufjan Stevens | Casimir Pulaski Day
2005 [580] Amerie | 1 Thing
2005 [886] Kanye West | Gold Digger
2005 [923] Gorillaz | El Mañana
2006 [046] Gnarls Barkley | Crazy
2006 [134] TV on The Radio | Wolf Like Me
2006 [193] The Knife | Silent Shout
2006 [472] Amy Winehouse | Rehab
2006 [479] The Knife | We Share Our Mother's Health
2006 [664] Justin Timberlake | What Goes Around…Comes Around
2006 [671] Muse | Starlight
2006 [766] Peter Bjorn and John | Young Folks
2006 [868] The Raconteurs | Steady as She Goes
2006 [935] Justin Timberlake feat. T.I | My Love
2006 [969] Hot Chip | Over and Over
2006 [971] The Killers | When You Were Young
2006 [997] T.I. | What You Know
2007 [044] LCD Soundsystem | All My Friends
2007 [081] M.I.A. | Paper Planes
2007 [216] MGMT | Kids
2007 [303] Radiohead | Reckoner
2007 [321] The National | Fake Empire
2007 [333] Of Montreal | The Past Is a Grotesque Animal
2007 [337] Wilco | Impossible Germany
2007 [338] MGMT | Time To Pretend
2007 [386] LCD Soundsystem | Someone Great
2007 [490] Arcade Fire | Intervention
2007 [526] Justice | D.A.N.C.E.
2007 [779] Burial | Archangel
2007 [797] Vampire Weekend | A-Punk
2007 [826] Rihanna feat. Jay-Z | Umbrella
2007 [849] The National | Ada
2008 [207] Fleet Foxes | White Winter Hymnal
2008 [441] Portishead | The Rip
2008 [555] Hercules and Love Affair | Blind
2008 [634] TV on The Radio | DLZ
2008 [685] Kings of Leon | Use Somebody
2008 [881] Deerhunter | Nothing Ever Happened
2008 [998] Elbow | Grounds for Divorce
2009 [377] Benjamin Biolay | Brandt rhapsodie
2009 [416] Animal Collective | My Girls
2009 [709] Fever Ray | I'm Not Done
2009 [727] Phoenix | 1901
2010 [184] Kanye West | Runaway
2010 [427] Cee-Lo Green | Fuck You!
2010 [433] Janelle Monáe | Cold War
2010 [691] Deerhunter | Desire Lines
2010 [696] The National | Bloodbuzz Ohio
2010 [803] Sufjan Stevens | Vesuvius
2010 [809] Kanye West feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Bon Iver and Nicki Minaj | Monster
2010 [838] The National | Runaway
2010 [897] Caribou | Odessa
2011 [331] The Black Keys | Lonely Boy
2011 [395] M83 | Midnight City
2011 [558] Girls | Vomit
2011 [830] Radiohead | Lotus Flower
Greg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Greg »

whoa, moonbeam just took the forum to a new level!
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

OK, just for fun, I pulled the lists for those who voted for Stairway vs. those who did not...THIS IS JUST FOR FUN, and since the question was asked. I think the results are interesting, though someone could really do this for any song and have a similar discussion...

Top 300: Those who voted for "Stairway to Heaven"

[001] Led Zeppelin | Stairway to Heaven
[002] Jimi Hendrix Experience | All Along The Watchtower
[003] The Beach Boys | Good Vibrations
[004] The Beatles | A Day In The Life
[005] The Rolling Stones | Gimme Shelter
[006] The Rolling Stones | Sympathy for The Devil
[007] The Rolling Stones | (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
[008] Otis Redding | (Sittin' on) The Dock of The Bay
[009] Radiohead | Paranoid Android
[010] Bob Dylan | Like a Rolling Stone
[011] Bruce Springsteen | Born To Run
[012] The Clash | London Calling
[013] Prince | When Doves Cry
[014] The Beatles | Strawberry Fields Forever
[015] Stevie Wonder | Superstition
[016] U2 | One
[017] Derek and The Dominoes | Layla
[018] Chuck Berry | Johnny B. Goode
[019] David Bowie | "Heroes"
[020] Michael Jackson | Billie Jean
[021] The Beatles | Hey Jude
[022] Nirvana | Smells Like Teen Spirit
[023] Guns N' Roses | Sweet Child O' Mine
[024] Queen | Bohemian Rhapsody
[025] Marvin Gaye | I Heard It Through The Grapevine
[026] R.E.M. | Losing My Religion
[027] Marvin Gaye | What's Going On
[028] The White Stripes | Seven Nation Army
[029] U2 | Sunday Bloody Sunday
[030] The Who | Won't Get Fooled Again
[031] The Kinks | Waterloo Sunset
[032] The Mamas and The Papas | California Dreamin'
[033] Joy Division | Love Will Tear Us Apart
[034] The Beach Boys | God Only Knows
[035] Pink Floyd | Wish You Were Here
[036] The Rolling Stones | Paint It, Black
[037] The Verve | Bitter Sweet Symphony
[038] Eagles | Hotel California
[039] The Who | Baba O'Riley
[040] Oasis | Wonderwall
[041] John Lennon | Imagine
[042] David Bowie | Space Oddity
[043] Red Hot Chili Peppers | Under The Bridge
[044] U2 | With or Without You
[045] The Velvet Underground | Heroin
[046] The Kinks | You Really Got Me
[047] The Who | My Generation
[048] Simon and Garfunkel | Bridge Over Troubled Water
[049] Gnarls Barkley | Crazy
[050] David Bowie | Life on Mars?
[051] Bob Marley and The Wailers | No Woman, No Cry
[052] The Doors | Light My Fire
[053] The Police | Every Breath You Take
[054] The Animals | House of The Rising Sun
[055] Al Green | Let's Stay Together
[056] Aretha Franklin | Respect
[057] Bob Dylan | Tangled Up In Blue
[058] Radiohead | Karma Police
[059] Talking Heads | Once In a Lifetime
[060] The Beatles | Tomorrow Never Knows
[061] Elvis Presley | Suspicious Minds
[062] Lou Reed | Walk on The Wild Side
[063] Johnny Cash | Hurt
[064] The Beatles | Let It Be
[065] The Beatles | Eleanor Rigby
[066] Pulp | Common People
[067] OutKast | Hey Ya!
[068] The Beatles | Yesterday
[069] Bob Dylan | Subterranean Homesick Blues
[070] Lynyrd Skynyrd | Free Bird
[071] Sam Cooke | A Change Is Gonna Come
[072] The Ronettes | Be My Baby
[073] The Four Tops | Reach Out I'll Be There
[074] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Proud Mary
[075] Bruce Springsteen | Thunder Road
[076] Radiohead | Creep
[077] The Beatles | In My Life
[078] Nirvana | All Apologies
[079] Blur | Song 2
[080] The Who | Behind Blue Eyes
[081] Led Zeppelin | Kashmir
[082] The Velvet Underground | Sunday Morning
[083] Jeff Buckley | Hallelujah
[084] Sufjan Stevens | Chicago
[085] The Temptations | My Girl
[086] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Fortunate Son
[087] The Band | The Weight
[088] Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out
[089] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Purple Haze
[090] The Jackson 5 | I Want You Back
[091] The Beatles | While My Guitar Gently Weeps
[092] Aerosmith | Walk This Way
[093] M.I.A. | Paper Planes
[094] David Bowie | Changes
[095] The Beatles | Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
[096] Pink Floyd | Time
[097] Elvis Presley | Hound Dog
[098] Eurythmics | Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
[099] New Order | Blue Monday
[100] Don Henley | The Boys of Summer
[101] The Beatles | Help!
[102] Beck | Loser
[103] Stevie Wonder | Living for The City
[104] The Beatles | I Am The Walrus
[105] The Smiths | There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
[106] Dire Straits | Sultans of Swing
[107] OutKast | B.O.B.
[108] The Byrds | Eight Miles High
[109] Procol Harum | A Whiter Shade of Pale
[110] The Bee Gees | Stayin' Alive
[111] Simon and Garfunkel | The Sound of Silence
[112] Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit
[113] Ray Charles | What'd I Say
[114] Van Morrison | Brown Eyed Girl
[115] The Stooges | I Wanna Be Your Dog
[116] Ben E. King | Stand By Me
[117] Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five | The Message
[118] Michael Jackson | Beat It
[119] Elvis Presley | Heartbreak Hotel
[120] Fleetwood Mac | Go Your Own Way
[121] LCD Soundsystem | All My Friends
[122] The Doors | Riders on The Storm
[123] The Temptations | Papa Was a Rollin' Stone
[124] Coldplay | Clocks
[125] The Beatles | Something
[126] Elton John | Your Song
[127] Marvin Gaye | Let's Get It On
[128] Eric Clapton | Tears In Heaven
[129] The Rolling Stones | Brown Sugar
[130] Simon and Garfunkel | The Boxer
[131] Jay-Z | 99 Problems
[132] The Velvet Underground | I'm Waiting for The Man
[133] Arcade Fire | Rebellion (Lies)
[134] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
[135] Elvis Costello | Alison
[136] Eminem | Lose Yourself
[137] Eminem feat. Dido | Stan
[138] Pavement | Summer Babe
[139] The Moody Blues | Nights in White Satin
[140] The Knife | Heartbeats
[141] Jacques Brel | Amsterdam
[142] Patti Smith | Gloria
[143] Soundgarden | Black Hole Sun
[144] The Velvet Underground | Venus In Furs
[145] Gorillaz | Clint Eastwood
[146] The Smiths | How Soon Is Now?
[147] The Beach Boys | I Get Around
[148] Sufjan Stevens | John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
[149] Martha and The Vandellas | Dancing In The Street
[150] The Beatles | Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
[151] Steppenwolf | Born To Be Wild
[152] The Rolling Stones | You Can't Always Get What You Want
[153] Pink Floyd | Comfortably Numb
[154] Television | Marquee Moon
[155] The Strokes | Last Nite
[156] Cream | Sunshine of Your Love
[157] Smokey Robinson and The Miracles | The Tracks of My Tears
[158] Prince | Kiss
[159] Dusty Springfield | Son of a Preacher Man
[160] Fleet Foxes | White Winter Hymnal
[161] David Bowie | Starman
[162] TV on The Radio | Wolf Like Me
[163] James Brown | Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine
[164] Oasis | Live Forever
[165] Boston | More Than a Feeling
[166] Deep Purple | Smoke on The Water
[167] The Cars | Just What I Needed
[168] Pearl Jam | Jeremy
[169] The Sex Pistols | Anarchy In The U.K.
[170] Johnny Cash | I Walk The Line
[171] Neil Young | Southern Man
[172] Sinéad O'Connor | Nothing Compares 2 U
[173] Van Halen | Jump
[174] Public Enemy | Fight The Power
[175] Aerosmith | Dream On
[176] Radiohead | Pyramid Song
[177] The Stone Roses | Fools Gold
[178] U2 | I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
[179] The Rolling Stones | Wild Horses
[180] Radiohead | Reckoner
[181] Radiohead | Everything In Its Right Place
[182] Buffalo Springfield | For What It's Worth
[183] Massive Attack | Teardrop
[184] Buddy Holly and The Crickets | That'll Be The Day
[185] Lou Reed | Perfect Day
[186] Rod Stewart | Maggie May
[187] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Hey Joe
[188] The Beatles | Here Comes The Sun
[189] Louis Armstrong | What a Wonderful World
[190] The Smiths | This Charming Man
[191] Nirvana | Heart Shaped Box
[192] Antony and The Johnsons | Hope There's Someone
[193] R.E.M. | Everybody Hurts
[194] The Doors | The End
[195] The Rolling Stones | Jumpin' Jack Flash
[196] Bob Dylan | Blowin' In The Wind
[197] Little Richard | Tutti Frutti
[198] The Velvet Underground | Pale Blue Eyes
[199] Jefferson Airplane | White Rabbit
[200] Sly and The Family Stone | Family Affair
[201] R.E.M. | Nightswimming
[202] The Righteous Brothers | You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
[203] Bruce Springsteen | Born In The U.S.A.
[204] Massive Attack | Unfinished Sympathy
[205] The Kingsmen | Louie, Louie
[206] Pixies | Debaser
[207] The National | Fake Empire
[208] The Beatles | Revolution
[209] The Byrds | Mr. Tambourine Man
[210] Sly and The Family Stone | Everyday People
[211] Metallica | One
[212] Dick Dale and His Del-Tones | Misirlou
[213] The Beatles | Penny Lane
[214] Bill Withers | Ain't No Sunshine
[215] Otis Redding | I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)
[216] Don McLean | American Pie
[217] Elton John | Rocket Man
[218] Bob Dylan | Ballad of a Thin Man
[219] Nina Simone | Sinnerman
[220] The Beatles | Come Together
[221] Elvis Presley | Jailhouse Rock
[222] Bob Dylan | Knockin' on Heaven's Door
[223] Radiohead | The National Anthem
[224] The Beatles | A Hard Day's Night
[225] Cyndi Lauper | Time After Time
[226] The Lovin' Spoonful | Summer In The City
[227] The Bee Gees | How Deep Is Your Love
[228] LCD Soundsystem | Losing My Edge
[229] The Clash | (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
[230] Cee-Lo Green | Fuck You!
[231] Prince | Little Red Corvette
[232] The Rolling Stones | Street Fighting Man
[233] Pink Floyd | Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2
[234] Led Zeppelin | Whole Lotta Love
[235] Roy Orbison | Crying
[236] The Clash | Train In Vain (Stand By Me)
[237] Sonic Youth | Teen Age Riot
[238] Daft Punk | One More Time
[239] Gorillaz | Feel Good Inc.
[240] The Jam | That's Entertainment
[241] Del Shannon | Runaway
[242] Radiohead | No Surprises
[243] Roy Orbison | In Dreams
[244] Tom Waits | Tom Traubert's Blues
[245] Neil Young | After The Gold Rush
[246] AC/DC | You Shook Me All Night Long
[247] Bob Dylan | It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
[248] George Harrison | My Sweet Lord
[249] Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell | Ain't No Mountain High Enough
[250] Cream | White Room
[251] Prince | Purple Rain
[252] Tracy Chapman | Fast Car
[253] The White Stripes | Fell In Love With a Girl
[254] Soft Cell | Tainted Love
[255] Blondie | Call Me
[256] Johnny Cash | Ring of Fire
[257] Lynyrd Skynyrd | Sweet Home Alabama
[258] Pixies | Hey
[259] Booker T. and The MG's | Green Onions
[260] The Righteous Brothers | Unchained Melody
[261] Depeche Mode | Enjoy The Silence
[262] The Rolling Stones | Rocks Off
[263] The Doors | Break on Through (To The Other Side)
[264] The Specials | Ghost Town
[265] Pearl Jam | Alive
[266] Jerry Lee Lewis | Great Balls of Fire
[267] The Beatles | I Want To Hold Your Hand
[268] A-ha | Take on Me
[269] Percy Sledge | When a Man Loves a Woman
[270] Metallica | Enter Sandman
[271] Roy Orbison | Oh, Pretty Woman
[272] Van Morrison | Moondance
[273] R.E.M. | Drive
[274] Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin | Je t'aime ... moi non plus
[275] Judy Garland | Somewhere Over The Rainbow
[276] Bruce Springsteen | The River
[277] Animal Collective | My Girls
[278] Michael Jackson | Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
[279] Foo Fighters | Everlong
[280] Prince | Sign 'O' The Times
[281] Radiohead | Exit Music (For a Film)
[282] Neil Young | Heart of Gold
[283] Bob Dylan | Desolation Row
[284] Big Star | September Gurls
[285] Bruce Springsteen | Atlantic City
[286] Sly and The Family Stone | Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)
[287] The Smashing Pumpkins | 1979
[288] U2 | Where The Streets have No Name
[289] The Knife | We Share Our Mother's Health
[290] Paul McCartney | Maybe I'm Amazed
[291] The Beach Boys | Don't Worry Baby
[292] Radiohead | How To Disappear Completely
[293] Pearl Jam | Black
[294] Nick Drake | River Man
[295] R.E.M. | It's The End of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
[296] Bob Dylan | Mr. Tambourine Man
[297] Santana feat. Rob Thomas | Smooth
[298] Iggy and The Stooges | Search and Destroy
[299] Bill Haley and His Comets | (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
[300] Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Maps

Top 300: Those who did not vote for "Stairway to Heaven"

[001] OutKast | B.O.B.
[003] The Rolling Stones | Gimme Shelter
[004] Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit
[005] David Bowie | "Heroes"
[006] The Beatles | A Day In The Life
[007] The Ronettes | Be My Baby
[008] Pixies | Debaser
[009] The Beach Boys | God Only Knows
[011] LCD Soundsystem | All My Friends
[012] OutKast | Hey Ya!
[013] The Clash | London Calling
[014] Pulp | Common People
[015] The Kinks | Waterloo Sunset
[016] Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five | The Message
[017] Television | Marquee Moon
[018] Talking Heads | Once In a Lifetime
[019] The Beatles | Tomorrow Never Knows
[021] Sam Cooke | A Change Is Gonna Come
[022] David Bowie | Life on Mars?
[023] Lou Reed | Walk on The Wild Side
[024] Pharoah Sanders | The Creator Has a Master Plan
[025] Prince | When Doves Cry
[026] Otis Redding | (Sittin' on) The Dock of The Bay
[027] Charles Mingus | Modes D, E, F: Trio and Group Dancers, Single Solos and Group Dance, Group and Solo Dance
[028] The Smiths | There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
[029] My Bloody Valentine | Soon
[030] The Beatles | I Am The Walrus
[031] John Coltrane | Acknowledgement
[032] Sonic Youth | Teen Age Riot
[033] Bob Dylan | Desolation Row
[034] Joy Division | Love Will Tear Us Apart
[035] Patti Smith | Gloria
[036] OutKast | Ms. Jackson
[037] Public Enemy | Fight The Power
[038] Robert Wyatt | Sea Song
[039] Funkadelic | Maggot Brain
[040] The Beta Band | Dry The Rain
[041] Nirvana | Smells Like Teen Spirit
[042] The Beach Boys | Good Vibrations
[044] John Coltrane | My Favorite Things
[045] New Order | Blue Monday
[046] Marvin Gaye | I Heard It Through The Grapevine
[047] Sufjan Stevens | John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
[048] Bruce Springsteen | Born To Run
[049] Iggy and The Stooges | Search and Destroy
[050] Wu-Tang Clan | Protect Ya Neck
[051] The Art Ensemble of Chicago | Theme de Yoyo
[052] PJ Harvey | Down By The Water
[053] The Smiths | How Soon Is Now?
[054] The Clash | Train In Vain (Stand By Me)
[055] Bobby Womack | Across 110th Street
[056] The Avalanches | Frontier Psychiatrist
[057] Prince | Purple Rain
[058] The Beach Boys | Surf's Up
[059] Arcade Fire | Wake Up
[060] Massive Attack | Unfinished Sympathy
[061] Björk | Bachelorette
[062] The Knife | Heartbeats
[063] Johnny Cash | Folsom Prison Blues
[064] Beck | Loser
[065] The Bee Gees | Stayin' Alive
[066] Sly and The Family Stone | Family Affair
[067] The Rolling Stones | Sympathy for The Devil
[068] Slint | Good Morning, Captain
[069] Kanye West | Runaway
[070] Of Montreal | The Past Is a Grotesque Animal
[071] The Cure | A Forest
[072] The Jesus and Mary Chain | Just Like Honey
[073] Depeche Mode | Enjoy The Silence
[074] Madonna | Like a Prayer
[075] The Stooges | I Wanna Be Your Dog
[076] Gnarls Barkley | Crazy
[077] David Bowie | Space Oddity
[078] Kraftwerk | Das Modell
[079] The Clash | (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
[080] Curtis Mayfield | Move on Up
[081] The Kinks | Shangri-La
[082] The Rolling Stones | Paint It, Black
[083] The Velvet Underground | Venus In Furs
[084] Radiohead | Paranoid Android
[085] The Breeders | Cannonball
[086] Kylie Minogue | Can't Get You Out of My Head
[087] Jimi Hendrix Experience | All Along The Watchtower
[088] Led Zeppelin | When The Levee Breaks
[089] The Four Tops | Reach Out I'll Be There
[090] Roy Orbison | In Dreams
[091] Massive Attack | Teardrop
[092] Smokey Robinson and The Miracles | The Tracks of My Tears
[093] The Velvet Underground | Heroin
[094] Fela Kuti | Zombie
[095] Arcade Fire | Rebellion (Lies)
[096] Love | You Set The Scene
[097] Eminem feat. Dido | Stan
[098] Bob Dylan | Subterranean Homesick Blues
[099] Prince | Sign 'O' The Times
[100] Gang of Four | Damaged Goods
[101] Louis Armstrong | St. James Infirmary
[102] King Crimson | Starless
[103] Little Richard | Tutti Frutti
[104] David Bowie | Aladdin Sane
[105] The Human League | Don't You Want Me
[106] James Brown | Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine
[107] The Knife | Silent Shout
[108] Radiohead | Fake Plastic Trees
[109] M.I.A. | Paper Planes
[110] Bob Dylan | Hurricane
[111] Big Star | September Gurls
[112] Elliott Smith | Waltz #2 (XO)
[113] The Velvet Underground | Sweet Jane
[114] Curtis Mayfield | Right on for The Darkness
[115] Bruce Springsteen | Thunder Road
[116] Marvin Gaye | Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)
[117] Stevie Wonder | Living for The City
[118] Al Green | Let's Stay Together
[119] The Beatles | Come Together
[120] Donna Summer | I Feel Love
[121] Mamas and The Papas | California Dreamin'
[122] Stan Getz and João Gilberto | The Girl from Ipanema
[123] David Bowie | Moonage Daydream
[124] Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin | Je t'aime ... moi non plus
[125] Nick Drake | River Man
[126] Jimi Hendrix Experience | Hey Joe
[127] Chuck Berry | Johnny B. Goode
[128] R.E.M. | Losing My Religion
[129] Miles Davis | So What
[130] The Velvet Underground | I'm Waiting for The Man
[131] Prince | Kiss
[132] Eurythmics | Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
[133] Ray Charles | What'd I Say
[134] Prince | Let's Go Crazy
[135] The La's | There She Goes
[136] Portishead | Roads
[137] Erik Satie | Gnossienne n°1
[138] Pavement | Fillmore Jive
[139] The Cure | Lullaby
[140] Blur | Song 2
[141] The Clash | The Magnificent Seven
[142] Iggy Pop | Lust for Life
[143] The Animals | House of The Rising Sun
[144] Arvo Pärt | Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten
[145] Roxy Music | If There Is Something
[146] U2 | With or Without You
[147] Screamin' Jay Hawkins | I Put a Spell on You
[148] Tortoise | Djed
[149] Jacques Brel | Amsterdam
[150] DJ Shadow | Building Steam With a Grain of Salt
[151] Queen | Bohemian Rhapsody
[152] New Order | Temptation
[153] The Verve | Bitter Sweet Symphony
[154] Nina Simone | Sinnerman
[155] The Beach Boys | Don't Worry Baby
[156] Queens of The Stone Age | No One Knows
[157] TV on The Radio | Wolf Like Me
[158] The Doors | Light My Fire
[159] The Velvet Underground | Rock and Roll
[160] The Impressions | People Get Ready
[161] The Undertones | Teenage Kicks
[162] Lou Reed | Perfect Day
[163] Radiohead | No Surprises
[164] The Strokes | Hard To Explain
[165] The Velvet Underground | All Tomorrow's Parties
[166] Pink Floyd | Wish You Were Here
[167] MGMT | Kids
[168] Jeff Buckley | Grace
[169] Dave Brubeck Quartet | Take Five
[170] Can | Halleluhwah
[171] The Smiths | This Charming Man
[172] R.E.M. | Radio Free Europe
[173] Pixies | Monkey Gone To Heaven
[174] David Bowie | Starman
[175] Marvin Gaye | What's Going On
[176] David Bowie | Ziggy Stardust
[177] The Cure | Just Like Heaven
[178] Daft Punk | Digital Love
[179] Ben E. King | Stand By Me
[180] Ride | Vapour Trail
[181] Igor Stravinsky | Le sacre du printemps: Tableau II, Le sacrifice: Section VI, Danse sacrale - L'élue
[182] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | Red Right Hand
[183] A Tribe Called Quest | Scenario
[184] Charles Mingus | The Shoes of The Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive-Ass Slippers
[185] David Bowie | Rebel Rebel
[186] The Ramones | Sheena Is a Punk Rocker
[187] The Beatles | You Never Give Me Your Money
[188] The MC5 | Kick Out The Jams
[189] Sigur Rós | Svefn-g-englar
[190] Prince | 1999
[191] LCD Soundsystem | Someone Great
[192] The Replacements | I Will Dare
[193] The Clash | Spanish Bombs
[194] Erik Satie | Gymnopédie n°1
[195] The Jackson 5 | I Want You Back
[196] Portishead | Sour Times
[197] Wire | Outdoor Miner
[198] Sly and The Family Stone | Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)
[199] Bob Dylan | Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
[200] The Zombies | Hung Up on a Dream
[201] Joy Division | Decades
[202] Talking Heads | The Great Curve
[203] Dusty Springfield | Son of a Preacher Man
[204] The Doors | Riders on The Storm
[205] Björk | Isobel
[206] The Beatles | Across The Universe
[207] Love | Alone Again Or
[208] Dionne Warwick | Walk on By
[209] Blind Willie Johnson | Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground
[210] Claude Debussy | Suite bergamasque: Clair de Lune
[211] Kraftwerk | Autobahn
[212] Parliament | Flash Light
[213] Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | The Mercy Seat
[214] Booker T. and The MG's | Green Onions
[215] Dick Dale and His Del-Tones | Misirlou
[216] The Sex Pistols | Anarchy In The U.K.
[217] Stereolab | French Disko
[218] Sam Cooke | Wonderful World
[219] Lou Christie | Paint America Love
[220] The Jam | That's Entertainment
[221] The Specials | Ghost Town
[222] Os Mutantes | Panis et Circenses
[223] Big Star | Thirteen
[224] Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out
[225] Otis Redding | Try a Little Tenderness
[226] Bruce Springsteen | Atlantic City
[227] PJ Harvey | Rid of Me
[228] The Flamingos | I Only Have Eyes for You
[229] The Only Ones | Another Girl, Another Planet
[230] Sonic Youth | The Diamond Sea
[231] Camarón de la Isla | La leyenda del tiempo
[232] ? and The Mysterians | 96 Tears
[233] Björk | Hunter
[234] Johnny Cash | The Mercy Seat
[235] Simon and Garfunkel | The Sound of Silence
[236] Glen Campbell | Wichita Lineman
[237] David Bowie | Ashes To Ashes
[238] The Replacements | Bastards of Young
[239] Leonard Cohen | Famous Blue Raincoat
[240] Kate Bush | Wuthering Heights
[241] Mission of Burma | That's When I Reach for My Revolver
[242] U2 | One
[243] Beastie Boys | Sabotage
[244] Arcade Fire | In The Backseat
[245] Karen Dalton | Katie Cruel
[246] Deee-Lite | Groove Is In The Heart
[247] The White Stripes | Seven Nation Army
[248] Fever Ray | I'm Not Done
[249] Elliott Smith | Between The Bars
[250] David Bowie | Station To Station
[251] The Zombies | Care of Cell 44
[252] Arctic Monkeys | I Bet You Look Good on The Dancefloor
[253] Etta James | At Last
[254] Talking Heads | This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
[255] Roxy Music | Virginia Plain
[256] OutKast | Rosa Parks
[257] The Zombies | This Will Be Our Year
[258] Kate Bush | Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
[259] Kraftwerk | Computer Love
[260] The Rolling Stones | Under My Thumb
[261] Busta Rhymes | Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check
[262] Janelle Monáe | Cold War
[263] Elvis Costello and The Attractions | Beyond Belief
[264] Simon and Garfunkel | The Only Living Boy In New York
[265] Can | Oh Yeah
[266] The Rolling Stones | (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
[267] Bob Marley and The Wailers | No Woman, No Cry
[268] The Kinks | You Really Got Me
[269] Jerry Lee Lewis | Great Balls of Fire
[270] Smiths | Bigmouth Strikes Again
[271] Spiritualized | Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
[272] Public Enemy | Welcome To The Terrordome
[273] Wilco | Impossible Germany
[274] Radiohead | Pyramid Song
[275] Johnny Cash | I Walk The Line
[276] Burial | Archangel
[277] Radiohead | The National Anthem
[278] M83 | Midnight City
[279] Björk | Hyper-Ballad
[280] TV on The Radio | Staring at The Sun
[281] Massive Attack | Angel
[282] The Stooges | 1970
[283] Iggy Pop | The Passenger
[284] Roxy Music | A Song for Europe
[285] The Rolling Stones | Jumpin' Jack Flash
[286] Elvis Presley | Suspicious Minds
[287] Metallica | Master of Puppets
[288] The Millennium | Prelude/To Claudia on Thursday
[289] Elvis Costello and The Attractions | I Want You
[290] Roxy Music | Editions of You
[291] Benjamin Biolay | Brandt rhapsodie
[292] Brian Eno | Needles In The Camel's Eye
[293] Annie | Heartbeat
[294] Black Sabbath | Paranoid
[295] Goran Bregovic | Ederlezi
[296] Bernard Herrmann | Psycho: Prelude/ The Murder: Finale
[297] Amerie | 1 Thing
[298] The Jefferson Airplane | White Rabbit
[299] Pixies | No. 13 Baby
[300] Pet Shop Boys | Being Boring

How's about that "B.O.B."!!!
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

sonofsamiam wrote:Thanks Dan, for bringing the conversation back around to "Strange Fruit". Have you heard Nina Simone's version? It's similar, but with a rage brewing down below that creeps to the top every now and again. Amazing.
Just listened to Nina Simone's version for the first time. And yes, it's amazing!

Thank you.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

That non-StH list is all over the place! Really cool.

And the StH list is a great introduction to classic rock.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

sonofsamiam wrote: Top 300: Those who did not vote for "Stairway to Heaven"

[001] OutKast | B.O.B.
[008] Pixies | Debaser
[012] OutKast | Hey Ya!
[027] Charles Mingus | Modes D, E, F: Trio and Group Dancers, Single Solos and Group Dance, Group and Solo Dance

Wow, you are awesome for actually doing this! I do think there's a really interesting distinction, particularly with the prevalence of jazz and hip-hop in the no-Stairway group. I must say, I do really prefer this list, and I don't think it gives the shaft to CR choices too much (still plenty of Beatles/Dylan/Stones/Bowie). Honestly, I think the divide between the two groups is less based on CR and more based on correlation with the AM list.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Greg wrote:whoa, moonbeam just took the forum to a new level!
I'm glad somebody saw it! :happy-partydance:
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Jackson wrote:

[001] OutKast | B.O.B.
[008] Pixies | Debaser
[012] OutKast | Hey Ya!

Wow, you are awesome for actually doing this! I do think there's a really interesting distinction, particularly with the prevalence of jazz and hip-hop in the no-Stairway group. I must say, I do really prefer this list, and I don't think it gives the shaft to CR choices too much (still plenty of Beatles/Dylan/Stones/Bowie). Honestly, I think the divide between the two groups is less based on CR and more based on correlation with the AM list.
What it also shows is "Gimme Shelter" is universally loved on the forum.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Jackson wrote:Honestly, I think the divide between the two groups is less based on CR and more based on correlation with the AM list.
I was going to say the same thing. Lots of interesting placements in both lists. Who would have thought "When Doves Cry" would stay at 13 in the "Stairway" list? Or that "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" would be higher in that list than in the non-"Stairway" list? Maybe there's some CR in me after all. ;)
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

You're right, a lot of the top picks (Gimme Shelter, LARS, Heroes, Hey Ya, All My Friends, Day in the Life) did very well in both groups. There were definitely some surprises, like "Paranoid Android" placing much higher in the Stairway group and "Waterloo Sunset" placing higher in the no-Stairway group.

Below are the picks I found interesting or particularly representative of the no-Stairway group's aesthetic. I do realize each individual vote matters a lot more when you break the voters down into smaller sample sizes, so the distinction between the lists gets less meaningful the further down you go.

[001] OutKast | B.O.B.
[008] Pixies | Debaser
[051] The Art Ensemble of Chicago | Theme de Yoyo
[052] PJ Harvey | Down By The Water
[054] The Clash | Train In Vain (Stand By Me)
[055] Bobby Womack | Across 110th Street
[056] The Avalanches | Frontier Psychiatrist
[058] The Beach Boys | Surf's Up
[060] Massive Attack | Unfinished Sympathy
[061] Björk | Bachelorette
[068] Slint | Good Morning, Captain
[069] Kanye West | Runaway
[070] Of Montreal | The Past Is a Grotesque Animal
[074] Madonna | Like a Prayer
[081] The Kinks | Shangri-La
[085] The Breeders | Cannonball
[088] Led Zeppelin | When The Levee Breaks
[094] Fela Kuti | Zombie
[102] King Crimson | Starless
[114] Curtis Mayfield | Right on for The Darkness
[137] Erik Satie | Gnossienne n°1
[138] Pavement | Fillmore Jive
[141] The Clash | The Magnificent Seven
[144] Arvo Pärt | Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten
[145] Roxy Music | If There Is Something
[148] Tortoise | Djed
[170] Can | Halleluhwah
[180] Ride | Vapour Trail
[181] Igor Stravinsky | Le sacre du printemps: Tableau II, Le sacrifice: Section VI, Danse sacrale - L'élue
[184] Charles Mingus | The Shoes of The Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive-Ass Slippers
[194] Erik Satie | Gymnopédie n°1
[197] Wire | Outdoor Miner
[205] Björk | Isobel
[210] Claude Debussy | Suite bergamasque: Clair de Lune
[217] Stereolab | French Disko
[222] Os Mutantes | Panis et Circenses
[245] Karen Dalton | Katie Cruel
[254] Talking Heads | This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
[265] Can | Oh Yeah
[271] Spiritualized | Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
[273] Wilco | Impossible Germany
[276] Burial | Archangel
[288] The Millennium | Prelude/To Claudia on Thursday
[289] Elvis Costello and The Attractions | I Want You
[291] Benjamin Biolay | Brandt rhapsodie
[295] Goran Bregovic | Ederlezi
[296] Bernard Herrmann | Psycho: Prelude/ The Murder: Finale
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Great moves, Moonbeam! I think the video link didn't work at first so I missed it (consequently, I didn't get your message about crazy dancing at all...) I'm really glad Greg caught it.

:happy-partydance:
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I couldn't get Moonbeam's link to work initially either. But now suddenly The Gap Band's "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" is my #4 song of 1982. :mrgreen:
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:Great moves, Moonbeam! I think the video link didn't work at first so I missed it (consequently, I didn't get your message about crazy dancing at all...) I'm really glad Greg caught it.

:happy-partydance:
If I ever make my way to Sweden, we're going to have to throw down, 1982-style! :music-rockon:
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Dan wrote:I couldn't get Moonbeam's link to work initially either. But now suddenly The Gap Band's "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" is my #4 song of 1982. :mrgreen:
:o :o :o

I'm totally not above making a fool of myself for the sake of my favorites!

:o :o :o
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

sonofsamiam, I have a request! A list with songs with two votes among the top 200 in any individual list. Top 1000 songs excluded. I did those songs yesterday.

PS. Is there a gathering somewhere in the world for AM:ers this spring/winter? Los Angeles, New York, Paris or Canary Island? Could be fun if we let Moonbeam lead the troops... now I understand his Prince obsession.

PSS. Can you dig how C-L-O-S-E I was to include StH as my 500th song? It fell on me thinking including all of HC (Hotel California) and BR (Bohemian Rhapsody), not to mention female classic rock (Wuthering Heights), would make me normal. Please!
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Moonbeam wrote:I'm totally not above making a fool of myself for the sake of my favorites!
Or:

I'm totally not above convincing others how excellent a song is by making a fool of myself showing some real personality for the sake of my favorites!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I find it funny that When the Levee Breaks ranks higher on the "non StH list". And it makes me realize that I forgot to vote for it, which would have enhanced this even more !
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Very late to the party here, but I just wanted to echo everyone's praise of sonofsamiam for doing such an amazing job with this poll (in which I didn't participate, unfortunately). I can honestly say that this may be the finest top 1000 songs list I've ever seen.

Because I'm an album guy, I thought I'd present a list of all the albums containing 3 or more entries in the top 1000. I trust that artist names are unnecessary:

8 songs:
The Beatles [The White Album]

6:
OK Computer
Revolver
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

5:
Abbey Road
Are You Experienced
Doolittle
Sticky Fingers
The Velvet Underground & Nico

4:
Automatic for the People
Beggars Banquet
Blonde on Blonde
Bringing It All Back Home
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Electric Ladyland
Funeral
Help!
Houses of the Holy
Kid A
Led Zeppelin IV
London Calling
Odessey and Oracle
The Bends
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

3:
Achtung Baby
Astral Weeks
Born to Run
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Cosmo's Factory
Dummy
Exile on Main St.
Forever Changes
Fun House
Grace
Highway 61 Revisited
Homogenic
Illinois
In Utero
Innervisions
Let It Be [1970]
Let It Be [1984]
Let It Bleed
Magical Mystery Tour
Moondance
Nevermind
Physical Graffiti
Purple Rain
Sign O' the Times
Songs in the Key of Life
Stand!
Ten
The Dark Side of the Moon
The Doors
The Joshua Tree
Thriller
Transformer
What's Going On
Who's Next
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Nassim wrote:I find it funny that When the Levee Breaks ranks higher on the "non StH list". And it makes me realize that I forgot to vote for it, which would have enhanced this even more !
You're right--I think this may have been the most interesting result of the whole exercise. How does a song from the same album as Stairway make the top 100 among only people who excluded Stairway? There must be something to it though; "When the Levee Breaks" was the top LZ song I voted for and I left off Stairway.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

sonofsamiam wrote:
Jackson wrote:
What it also shows is "Gimme Shelter" is universally loved on the forum.
I also noticed the the non-StH group included numerous classical songs and I did not see a single classical song in the StH group. This appears to be one criteria on which I trend with the non-StH group.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”