EOY Albums Spreadsheet - Updates

Harold
Into the Groove

EOY Albums Spreadsheet - Updates

Post by Harold »

It's time for the first posting of the 2012 EOY albums spreadsheet! The file currently comprises the following lists:

US: Decibel, Paste
UK: The Fly, Rough Trade, Piccadilly Records, Mojo, NME, Q, The Guardian (11-50), Uncut, Jazzwise
Rest of World: HotTracks [S. Korea], MondoSonoro-Intl [Spain], Sonic [Sweden], Rumore [Italy]

All updates to the albums spreadsheet will be posted to this thread, so check it regularly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: EOY Albums Spreadsheet - Updates

Post by Henrik »

Thanks Harold and everyone who posted the lists in the critics' lists section!

What an evening with the all-time songs poll, and this.

I think there will be a lot of changes in the spreadsheet. So far it's more or less the UK results.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik wrote: I think there will be a lot of changes in the spreadsheet. So far it's more or less the UK results.
There have been changes already with two more European lists posted since this afternoon. Not enough to justify reposting the file yet, but here's the revised top 20:

1 Ocean, Frank Channel Orange
2 White, Jack Blunderbuss
3 Django Django Django Django
4 Grimes Visions
5 Tame Impala Lonerism
6 Grizzly Bear Shields
7 Van Etten, Sharon Tramp
8 Cat Power Sun
9 Beach House Bloom
10 xx, The Coexist
11 Alt-J An Awesome Wave
12 Cohen, Leonard Old Ideas
13 Dirty Projectors Swing Lo Magellan
14 Dylan, Bob Tempest
15 First Aid Kit The Lion's Roar
16 Alabama Shakes Boys & Girls
17 TOY TOY
18 Fay, Bill Life is People
19 Goat World Music
20 Chromatics Kill for Love

The Seer is now at #27.
good kid, mA.A.D. city is #33.
The Idler Wheel etc. is #35.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I am amazed that kin hasn't appeared on a single list yet! I would have figured it was a surefire bet for top 10.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Thanks, Harold.

I hope Killer Mike can rise above his current measly ranking of #153...I'm sure the American lists will help, though. Always interesting to see what ends up being popular where.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Moonbeam wrote:I am amazed that kin hasn't appeared on a single list yet! I would have figured it was a surefire bet for top 10.
Really? "Kin" is only ranked 99 on Otisredding's MCCh November 30th chart. I don't see it placing any higher than 50 on the EOY spreadsheet when all is said and done.
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

Realize it's early...but my own personal favs are so more out of sync with consensus list than they usually are.

Blunderbuss, Tramp, Co-Exist, An Awesome Wave, Temptest, Boys & GIrls are all albums I find average at best...and most from Artists that I've loved before.

Blunderbuss is just too Jack White samey-samey to past efforts for me, Co-Exist just is too far off quality mark of the debut (though opening track is dynamite.) Tramp is just a production disaster...love The National, but that type of lush production is all wrong for Van Etan...her's is a voice that belongs high front and center, not playing in balance with other elements like MB from National...songs on are weaker to begin with on Tramp than on Epic, Aaron's production sends many in the toilet...though Zach Condon has a glorious cameo in We Are Fine and I do like Serpents. Alabama Shakes is a live band trading in some killer festival performances for way too high regard for their actual material...An Awesome Wave just sucks, and Temptest is worst non-holiday oriented Dylan in last 15 years...doesn't belong on any best of list.

Will be anxious to see how some of my top dogs - Swans The Seer, Liars WIXIW, Anais Mitchell's Young Man In America, Allo' Darlin's Europe, Menomena's Moms, Dr. John's Locked Down, Death Grips The Money Store, Japandroids Celebration Rock, The Men's Open Your Heart, El-P's Cancer For Cure, Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music fare when all is said and done.

Do still like several on present top 20 - Django Django (though #3 is way, way, way too high), Tame Impala, Cat Power, Chromatics, Grimes, Grizzly Bear, Frank Ocean, First Aid Kit...but not really rooting for Fiona or Kendrick...Nakedly emotional albums with potent lyrics, but both (especially Fiona) bore me some on the musical front.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Nick wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:I am amazed that kin hasn't appeared on a single list yet! I would have figured it was a surefire bet for top 10.
Really? "Kin" is only ranked 99 on Otisredding's MCCh November 30th chart. I don't see it placing any higher than 50 on the EOY spreadsheet when all is said and done.
Craziness. It's better than Robyn.
mattadam
Start Me Up

Post by mattadam »

Harold and Henrik you guys are saints! Love this site!
Best album of 2013: Reflektor by Arcade Fire

How did it only get an 80 on metacritic!?
drxfilek
Debut

Post by drxfilek »

Hm, I wonder how well the U.S. will do this year
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Spreadsheet updated with the following lists:

USA: Spin, American Songwriter, Filter
Rest of World: Rumore [Italy], Blitz [Portugal], Gaffa [Denmark], Intro [Germany], FasterLouder [Australia], OOR [The Netherlands]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Thanks Harold again for helping to compile such a list. I look forward to the end of the year... well, all year, haha ^_^

Out of curiosity, I'm not too familiar with how it works here (or how end-of-year lists work, really), but is a similar song list being worked on? Or should I expect it more towards the end of December? I love those lists just as much as albums :)
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Sigh... I guess it was too much to ask for Death Grips, Dan Deacon and Nas to do well. Great reviews, but now mostly forgotten.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

irreduciblekoan wrote:Sigh... I guess it was too much to ask for Death Grips, Dan Deacon and Nas to do well. Great reviews, but now mostly forgotten.
Keep in mind that the USA lists are just starting to come in. Those albums will likely start to do better soon. (Conversely, look for a lot of the UK albums to tumble - it's already starting to happen, even with Django Django.)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I'm stunned that kin hasn't been listed once yet.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Lana Del Rey's "Born to Die" at 34? Hopefully that album falls a lot once the American lists start coming in. That album was truly horrible.

And hopefully the Spiritualized album can break the top 30, but I'm not sure how much the American lists will help with that. At least Pitchfork should be giving it a solid position.
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

great ! i've been waiting for this. but Franck Ocean #1 :/ and Swans only 23# wtf !
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Moonbeam wrote:I'm stunned that kin hasn't been listed once yet.
I don't get this either! kin is the 4th highest ranked pop album of 2012 at RYM, based on 1,154 ratings...
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

cartoken wrote:great ! i've been waiting for this. but Franck Ocean #1 :/ and Swans only 23# wtf !
Cartoken, I probably won't be posting another update until Friday (when a few of these gradually-rolling-out lists will be complete), but I can tell you that The Seer is now #18.

In other news about heretofore-underperforming albums, with USA lists now pouring in rapidly Fiona Apple is also now in the top 20, and Kendrick Lamar has climbed all the way into the top 10.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Nick wrote:Lana Del Rey's "Born to Die" at 34? Hopefully that album falls a lot once the American lists start coming in. That album was truly horrible.
I'm afraid it will be on a few French top 10, I'm pretty sure it will even be in LesInrocks top 3...
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

If Dr. John's album enters the Top 3000 would that be the longest dry spell between albums on the list (40 years)? Also, not one EOY list has decided to included Lambchop... :|
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Nick wrote:Lana Del Rey's "Born to Die" at 34? Hopefully that album falls a lot once the American lists start coming in. That album was truly horrible.
She might score a top 10 because of Slant Magazine, they gave her a 4 star rating and usually these kind of well-rated pop albums score high placements (Robyn, Lady Gaga). Honestly, if she hadn't received such a backlash in America and the whole blogosphere she would score even higher placements in British critics and Continental European -- where it looks like she had a more remarkable presence throughout the year. I went to relisten to the album again for an eminent AM's 2012 Poll and it is still pretty awful to me -- production values aside, the lyrics and the majority of the Lolita references are truly atrocious; Tiny Mix Tapes, which not only gave the best reviews of Lana Del Rey records, also had a great piece on Lana and Lolita that enhanced my still very low opinion of Del Rey -- if she actually intentioned to use background noises the way the writer interpreted.
Harold wrote: Cartoken, I probably won't be posting another update until Friday (when a few of these gradually-rolling-out lists will be complete), but I can tell you that The Seer is now #18.
Hopefully The Seer will keep on improving its position. I knew Swans was a niche band, but watching artists that also fit that category successfully place strong records in the upper areas of the top 20 and even the top 10, I hope they can make it with the help of American lists. It's been a weak year and Swans had delivered what is arguably their best and most individual record yet -- It's a tough nihilistic race that include both Soundtracks for the Blind and White Light from the Mouth of Infinity.
Nick wrote: And hopefully the Spiritualized album can break the top 30, but I'm not sure how much the American lists will help with that. At least Pitchfork should be giving it a solid position.
Unless they pull off a High Violet and place them out of the top 20 (The National was #27 in 2010) after such a high score. It's been such a slower year, so I guess chances of this happening are almost none. There were not a lot of 9 rated records, so I guess that might be unheard of records sneaking inside the top 30 and those BNM records that readers tend to overlook, like EMA's Past Life Martyred Saints. Also, seeing that an 8.8-record from a established artist -- PJ Harvey's Let England Shake -- actually sneaked among the higher parts of the top 10 of last year's list, I guess Sweet Light Sweet Heart might score a solid position inside the top 10 even with the lack of such a hype.

Some observations:

- I really thought that Fiona Apple's The Idler Wheel would actually become her breakthrough throughout Europe and Britain. Fiona's performance on American lists has enhanced in time: Tidal has been reaching the lower parts of the top 100 of the 90s list, When the Pawn -- arguably more deserving -- made that Spin list of the best records of the last 25 years. This all pointed to a "comeback" that arrived in the form of this last album -- that really isn't my favorite output of hers, falling behind When the Pawn and perhaps the Brion version of Extraordinary Machine. Maybe NME confusing Fiona with Alanis Morissette should have been the first sign that they weren't giving a dime for Apple, independently of 8s. The Idler Wheel is a highlight of the year -- one of my top 5 favorites -- and with the help of American lists it might not pull off a Have One On Me and fail to crack into the top 10 after such an earlier warm reception.

- I will put straight away: in my opinion Cat Power's Sun is a mess. When I read some reviews that mentioned how much more mature and wiser she seemed, I wondered if those same people had actually gave a few spins to the likes of Moon Pix. Cherokee and Ruin are great tracks, though tiresome in time, and the second half of the album is forgettable at best. That 10-minute Nothing But Time song has no business being so long. Maybe it was the unexpected thing that turned people on into that, but melodies were poor, lyrics poorer and only looking into Cat Power's personal battles these days I actually took songs like Human Being a little more serious. Sun is not bad because is a poppier Cat Power -- hasn't she been this way since You Are Free? -- but because it's too superficial in its approaches to actually connect with the themes it actually strives to place in table; Seeing -- and in front of more deserving records -- this in the top 10 is actually saddening.

- It's the same way I feel about the xx's Coexist; This one was dead on arrival for me. Everything on the records has not only been done before by the band, but the few "sonic innovations" it brought were basically dated club sounds. The record failed to build an atmosphere like the previous one, it didn't sound minimalist as much as undercooked in everything -- lyrics, guitar melodies, sonic elements. This album was honestly the most boring moment I had this year while listening to a record and I even gave it a further amount of spins -- no signs of being a grower; The record seemed much longer and repetitive than it actually were, and this was all the more disappointing coming from such a great first album. They seemed much worried about the prettiness of the songs, ultimately forgetting to actually build some; The loss of a member was actually felt, since the keyboards are absent from most of the record and when it appears it tries to copy the same notes and feel of Night Time, failing to achieve throughout. This album dangerously placed the xx on my list of one-trick-ponys. Some could argue that Beach House's also suffered from some of those very same problems, but Bloom is a more successful affair, it gets repetitive and it does bring to mind Teen Dream, but is ultimately more enjoyable than Coexist; A sidestep for Beach House rather than a step backwards like the xx's.

- Animal Collective is nowhere to be seen and I find it fair enough. It was an all over the place record, that actually ended what might have been the strongest strike of great records from a band since Radiohead. There were fans that actually proclaimed this their Kid A and time would do it justice. I can't predict the effects of time, but the Kid A card has been played a little too much the last couple of years. I wasn't aware of music by 2000, but reading some of the reviews of the album from that times, Kid A divided music critics, but it was an actually positive division, containing extremes, but a higher amount of 100 scores, of people already proclaiming a masterpiece that very same year. It was an universal acclaimed record that surprised many and scored mixed and negative reviews that never outweighed the positive ones; To see poorly received albums by bands -- and even by Radiohead itself with King of Limbs -- actually compared to such a reception, which only "disappointed" back in those days because it came right after the OK Computer boom, is rather lame.

- It was a good year for the likes of Dr John, Bill Fay, Dylan, Wommack and Cohen. Perfect timing to release strong releases that would inevitable pale in comparison to their older records; Wish Patti Smith's Banga had received similar attention.

- Frank might actually pull off an Arcade Fire and achieves an AM topper and the Grammy of Album of the Year. Keeping in mind that AF might likely loose their spot to Kanye, it might actually stand alone. Channel Orange is an excellent album -- not my personal favorite and let's see what time holds for this and other records after 2012's EOYs are said and done. It's funny that in an era that saw an increase of R&B records making lists again, How to Dress Well is underperforming -- maybe the American lists will help it. Jessie Ware has also been surprising overall, though i expected a bigger showing in some of the more mainstream lists of Great Britain.

- This year I realised that I got tired of many of the indie trends of the last couple of years that have been repeating themselves endlessly since the last decade -- shoegaze (except Deerhunter), indie pop, twee pop, chilllwave, synthpop, indie folk. This genres have not only been done before and better in other eras, they lacked in the last couple of years any innovation at all; If you're not going to innovate like the likes of Swans and Scott Walker -- albeit their new works arguably recall their older experiments -- you at least differ yourself from the current scene with strong songcrafts and passionate/consistent deliveries. Tame Impala's Lonerism mix of synths and space rock is actually one of the most exciting things I have listened on a record in a long time. I can make a case of the record bringing in mind other bands -- from Todd Rundgren to Flaming Lips, or like a friend of mine has put it "as if brazilian Jovem Guarda had collided with Os Mutantes and the offspring actually worked". It's a piece of pop bliss with many highlights and the best Flaming Lips song ever in the form of "Feels Like We Always Go Backwards"; They have manipulated well-enough the essence of their influences and actually delivered a kaleidoscope of a sound of their own that took the form of one of the greatest records I have listened this new decade.

- I will wait for the American lists to give my opinion on the performance and my overall opinion of other records.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

I'm curious about how Can's The Lost Tapes Box Set is being considered, if at all. Should this be a 2012 release, similar to The Smile Sessions in 2011? Or is it a compilation? Have no sources cited this as "best of 2012" material? It's really quite an incredible release!
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

Harold wrote:
cartoken wrote:great ! i've been waiting for this. but Franck Ocean #1 :/ and Swans only 23# wtf !
Cartoken, I probably won't be posting another update until Friday (when a few of these gradually-rolling-out lists will be complete), but I can tell you that The Seer is now #18.

In other news about heretofore-underperforming albums, with USA lists now pouring in rapidly Fiona Apple is also now in the top 20, and Kendrick Lamar has climbed all the way into the top 10.
great, +5 is a good start !
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated Dec. 7:

USA: Rolling Stone, Amazon, Stereogum, NPR
UK: The Guardian (#6-10), Wire, Clash, This is Fake DIY, Fact, Drowned in Sound, The Skinny, BBC Music
Rest of World: Gaffa [Sweden], Magic [France]
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

Harold wrote:Updated Dec. 7:

UK: The Guardian (#6-10), Wire, Clash, This is Fake DIY, Fact, Drowned in Sound, The Skinny, BBC Music

Thank you sir ! +9 for The Seer :happy-partydance:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Great update, Harold!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

cartoken wrote:
Harold wrote:Updated Dec. 7:

Thank you sir ! +9 for The Seer :happy-partydance:
Good to see I'm not the only one here obsessed with seeing it recognized. While it would be an achievement for a band like Swans to make T15, man are some of the bands above it boring. I wouldn't like 2012 much if I thought xx, Beach House, alt-J, Jack White, and Dirty Projectors released some of the best albums this year. Not that they're terrible, but is this really how 2012 will be remembered 10-15 years from now? Wouldn't mind Chromatics and Godspeed moving up either.

Frank Ocean's lead is probably insurmountable, but I would be surprised if Kendrick doesn't make it to number 2.
mattadam
Start Me Up

Post by mattadam »

Listening to Lonerism for the first time now...WOW absolutely phenomenal
Best album of 2013: Reflektor by Arcade Fire

How did it only get an 80 on metacritic!?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

A quick update, to get what's posted here up to date with recent EOY list posts in the forum (re: the checklist I posted of album sources yet to be added).

New additions:
USA: Magnet, PopMatters, Antiquiet
UK: SoundsXP (+ Guardian #5)
Rest of World: Spex [Germany]
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

I miss them:

The Music Network
Loud & Quiet
Idolator
Spinner

Not eligible?
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

Harold wrote:A quick update, to get what's posted here up to date with recent EOY list posts in the forum (re: the checklist I posted of album sources yet to be added).

New additions:
USA: Magnet, PopMatters, Antiquiet
UK: SoundsXP (+ Guardian #5)
Rest of World: Spex [Germany]
Thanks !

The Seer still 14th :/
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Otisredding wrote:I miss them:

The Music Network
Loud & Quiet
Idolator
Spinner

Not eligible?
Idolator and Spinner were two of the sites retroactively deemed ineligible by Henrik last year. The others seem to be new here; Loud & Quiet looks definitely ineligible, based on its Alexa stats. I haven't looked up The Music Network yet. I'm sticking to pre-existing sources right now, as I don't want to bug Henrik with eligibility questions. In other words, everyone should feel free to post any EOY list they find, but unless it's on that checklist I posted in the Critics' Lists section, don't expect to see it included in the spreadsheet.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

I ran the numbers quickly on the higher-ranked albums from the newly posted eligible lists, and thanks to the A.V. Club, Treble, and especially a #1 ranking from The Quietus, The Seer is now #7. Don't know how long that will last, but I know it will make a few people here very happy!
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

great great !
my biggest surprise this year is to see the xx in the top 10, strange :/
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Harold wrote:I ran the numbers quickly on the higher-ranked albums from the newly posted eligible lists, and thanks to the A.V. Club, Treble, and especially a #1 ranking from The Quietus, The Seer is now #7. Don't know how long that will last, but I know it will make a few people here very happy!
When the first few lists came out I was concerned that Swans' EOY placement wasn't matching up with the positive reviews they received. Now it's the opposite--I'm absolutely stunned that this 2+hr album has found its way to the critical mainstream. Even relatively straightforward lists like Treble and AV Club have high placements for The Seer. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what the breakthrough was--perhaps positive momentum following 2010's MY Father..., which finished #32 in our year-end spreadsheet, is partially responsible. But obviously, I'm thrilled with the reception, and I think with a top-ten placement coming from Pitchfork and most critics having already declared their albums lists, The Seer has a very good shot of staying in the top 10.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

HRS wrote: This year I realised that I got tired of many of the indie trends of the last couple of years that have been repeating themselves endlessly since the last decade -- shoegaze (except Deerhunter), indie pop, twee pop, chilllwave, synthpop, indie folk. This genres have not only been done before and better in other eras, they lacked in the last couple of years any innovation at all
I agree. And I like the sincerity of all your comments, HRS. Please keep posting about music of 2012, like you said you would. If there's no response to your posts, it doesn't mean that people are not interested in what you have to say. Far from it.
...will keep us together.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Still not a single vote for Undun... don't release your album in December if you want it to make it to the AM3000 ;)
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Dan wrote:
I agree. And I like the sincerity of all your comments, HRS. Please keep posting about music of 2012, like you said you would. If there's no response to your posts, it doesn't mean that people are not interested in what you have to say. Far from it.
Oh, Thank You very much Dan! :P Right now I'm putting all my energies onto listening to the records that compose the Excel file of the 90 albums Poll! I've been having such a great time listening to things I love from that decade and the things I dismiss and dislike (WMWEGs included haha). I really want to make it, so I can finally be part of a decade Poll over here -- I have this awful trait of start participating on them then quitting afterwards because I get all paranoid over other things that I have to do; Right now I'm positive that I'll go all the way throughout it! I know that is unfair to compare the cream of crop of that decade the made up our final 150s to the more recent music I listened to this year, but those albums have not helped my overall opinion of 2012 at all! I still need to go through The Quietus list and see if this year might at least surpass 2011 -- that was also a weak year to me :/

A lot of the records I listened to this year have been like this song: pleasant, albeit nothing more; Nothing that sounds like an individual achievement or truly remarkable at the moment or on the long run.

How long until some band shows up and pull out a Strokes/White Stripes circa 2001 and re-write the indie rock trends? I understand that there have been experimentations, especially in the electronic/ambient field -- that's the point I believe that the Quietus list tried to make -- but I don't see a lot of experiments with guitar music like in Swan's The Seer -- albeit I can see this album as something easier to admire than fully embrace and listen continuously to most people that cared to listen to -- or Scott Walker's Bich Bosch genre fusions. I can totally see younger people experimenting again and delivering interesting guitar music, not the same look-I-just-learnt-to-play-a-guitar or I-just-recorded-this-album-in-my-bathroom-and-filled-the-mix-with-noise indie rock band or more same-y indie pop in the twee vein of Belle and Sebastian or Camera Obscura. Whatever happened to the ambition that younger bands like Stereolab or Broadcast showed back in the day; All I can see now are synth pop bands mirroring the 80s while trying to rewrite some MOR hits from that decade, mixing it with some electroindie trends that we saw last decade. There are some mirroring the folk-sy sound of Fleet Foxes and My Morning Jacket, while others fail to capture the minimalistic feel of something like Tender Buttons or Colossal Youth. And as much as I like Beach House, is their next step re-record Heaven or Las Vegas? haha I really don't think it is a coincidence that more established acts are delivering critically acclaimed records those days and scoring better placements on EOYs...

Edit: This might shed some light to those that disliked The xx's sophomore slump Coexist ->https://twitter.com/bariaq/status/251736006418653184
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with the following:

USA: Treble, A.V. Club, Glide, Slant, Consequence of Sound, Beats Per Minute [formerly OneThirtyBPM]
UK: The Guardian (complete), The Quietus, MusicOMH, Gigwise, Resident Advisor
Rest of World: Laut [Germany], Jenesaispop [Spain], Playground-International [Spain] (26-75)
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Swans in the top 10 and Killer Mike in the top 30 with a huge jump. Andy Stott inches closer to the top 50. Mumford with a large drop. I am happy.
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

i don't got all the fuss around Franck Ocean but i'm glad ti see The Seer in the top 10 now :D
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Irreduciblekoan and cartoken--you guys better vote in our year-end poll!

One thing I love about this spreadsheet that you can't get anywhere else is the breakdown between the US and UK critics.

Fiona Apple - #2 US, #105 UK
Django Django - #237 US, #4 UK
alt-J - #57 US, #5 UK
TOY - Unranked US, #16 UK
Actress - #237 US, #12 UK
Japandroids - #3 US, #54 UK
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

Jackson wrote:Irreduciblekoan and cartoken--you guys better vote in our year-end poll!
will do ;)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

It's nice to see Julia Holter in the top 50. Saw her in concert in September in a cramped basement, was literally standing within arms reach of her through her concert. She's rather amazing, and hopefully she'll get more respect as time goes on. Heck, one of the people I was with geeked out and had to get a picture with her after, so now I'm in a picture with her, my first (semi-)celebrity photo. The only problem with this event was that this cramped basement performance was at 2:00 in the morning...
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

New update:

USA: Tiny Mix Tapes
UK/Ireland: fRoots, Thrash Hits, Bowlegs, State [IE]
Rest of World: Playground-Intl (complete) [Spain], Kalporz [Italy], Soundi-Intl & Natl [Finland], Blitz-Natl [Portugal], Les Inrockuptibles [France], Knack [Belgium], Heaven [The Netherlands], MuzikExpress [Germany], Humo [Belgium]
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

an update yay ! ... but disappointed to see The Seer kicked out the top 10 :angry-banghead:
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

To talk even more of the Seer, I have given it (at least for now) a 5/5 on Moonbeam's Album Ranker. That's the first 5 star album since Joanna Newsom's Ys. I am a convert.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

BleuPanda wrote:now I'm in a picture with her
Can we see that picture?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada: AllMusic (#11-50), Pretty Much Amazing, The L, Pitchfork, CokeMachineGlow, Exclaim! [Canada]
UK/Ireland: No Ripcord
Rest of World: Nojesguiden-Intl [Sweden], Storia della Musica [Italy], Blow Up [Italy], Rolling Stone Germany [Germany], Mowno [France], Fluctuat [France]

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”