AMF's 100 Greatest TV and Film Actors and Actresses of All Time (2017): Results

Superpan
The Only Way Is Up

Re: AMF's 100 Greatest TV and Film Actors and Actresses of All Time (2017): Results

Post by Superpan »

Shame. Without spoiling too much, he placed on my ballot. Though there is an argument to be made that he was more of stage actor than a film one.

Also, a bunch of my favorites placed in the top 50! Expect that write-up sooner than later.
Last edited by Superpan on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Re: AMF's 100 Greatest TV and Film Actors and Actresses of All Time (2017): Results

Post by Dexter »

Thank you Listyguy for pointing that error on Brad Pitt...

40. Gene Hackman (1930-)
Bio: A remarkably prolific and versatile talent, Hackman was a successful character actor whose uncommon abilities and smart career choices ultimately made him a most unlikely leading man. In the tradition of Spencer Tracy, he excelled as an Everyman, consistently delivering intelligent, natural performances which established him among the most respected and well-liked stars of his era. He studied acting at the Pasadena Playhouse Theatre in the '50s and with future roommate Dustin Hoffman shared the dubious distinction of being voted "least likely to succeed" by their peers. His breakout film was in Bonnie and Clyde (1967), playing as Buck Barrow in which he gained his first Supporting Actor Oscar nomination. He gained another Best Supporting nomination in I Never Sang for My Father (1970). The next year, he leapt to playing lead and became a star; as narc agent Popeye Doyle, a character rejected by 7 other actors, he headlined The French Connection, winning a Best Actor Oscar. He delivered his strongest performance to date (surprising without an Oscar nomination) as a haunted surveillance expert in The Conversation and went on to tap his under-utilized comedic skills in Young Frankenstein (both 1974). He delivered another strong turns in Mississippi Burning (1988), earning him an Oscar nomination, and The Unforgiven (1992), appearing as a small-town sheriff corrupted by his own desires for justice, won him a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. His last notable role was playing a dysfunctional patriarch in 2001's The Royal Tenenbaums; he has since retired from acting.

39. Kevin Spacey (1959-)
Bio: An actor whose remarkable versatility has often been described as chameleon-like, Spacey has made an art of portraying a gallery of morally ambiguous characters ranging from the mildly shady to the all-out murderous. His reputation as one of the best-respected actors of his generation was bolstered by an Oscar and an award as Best Actor of the Decade from Empire magazine in 1999. While he won acclaim for his roles as foul-mouthed jerks in Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) and Swimming With Sharks (1994), it was with his performance in the following year's The Usual Suspects that he stepped into the spotlight. As the enigmatic, garrulous Verbal Kint, Spacey was one of the more celebrated aspects of the critically lauded film, winning an Oscar for his work. The actor won additional acclaim the same year for his role as a serial killer in the stylish and creepy thriller Seven. In 1999, Spacey won an Oscar for American Beauty, playing a man experiencing a mid-life crisis. In addition to film acting, he turned to TV in 2013 on Netflix's House of Cards, playing ruthless congressman Frank Underwood, earning him nominations from the Emmys, SAGs and Golden Globes, winning the latter in 2015. He remarked "I think people just like me evil for some reason. They want me to be a son of a bitch."

38. Sidney Poitier (1927-)
Bio: Poitier was to Hollywood what Jackie Robinson was to major league baseball: simply put, the man who broke the color barrier. He forever altered the racial perceptions long held by both motion picture audiences and executives, rising to superstar status in an industry forever dominated on both sides of the camera by whites. His impressive turn in 1955's gritty The Blackboard Jungle brought him acclaim, and in 1958 he earned his first Oscar nomination in the social drama The Defiant Ones. The film's focus on racial politics, as well as his increasing popularity with all audiences solidified Poitier's standing as a key figure in the burgeoning civil rights movement, as roles in features including 1959's Porgy and Bess and 1961's Raisin in the Sun established him as the premier black actor of his generation. He the first African-American ever to take home an Oscar for Best Actor for his role in Lilies of the Field (1964). The significance of this achievement was bolstered in 1967, when he starred in successful films which dealt with issues involving race and race relations: To Sir, with Love; In the Heat of the Night; and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, making him the top box-office star of that year. In 2002, he received a Honorary Oscar, in recognition of his "remarkable accomplishments as an artist and as a human being".

37. Elizabeth Taylor (1932-2011)
Bio: Elizabeth Taylor was the ultimate movie star: violet-eyed, luminously beautiful, and bigger than life; although never the most gifted actress, she was the most magnetic, commanding the spotlight with unparalleled power. She achieved stardom as a teen with National Velvet (1944). Unlike so many child stars, she proved she could make a seamless transition to more adult roles; her stunning looks helped. Nevertheless, she was largely dismissed as an actress prior to an excellent performance in the drama A Place in the Sun (1951), and she turned things up even more in Giant (1956). The following years saw her earning Oscar nominations: Raintree County (1957), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958), Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) and Butterfield 8 (1960), winning the Oscar for the latter. Her love life only boosted the success of her films; in all, she has married eight times, including twice to actor Richard Burton with whom she had an affair with while filming Cleopatra (1963). Dubbed "Liz and Dick" by the media, they starred in 11 films together, including Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) for which she received the best reviews of her career and winning her a second Oscar.

36. Gregory Peck (1916-2003)
Bio: One of the postwar era's most successful actors, Gregory Peck was long the moral conscience of the silver screen; with very few exceptions, his performances embodied the virtues of strength, conviction, and intelligence so highly valued by American audiences. As the studios' iron grip on Hollywood began to loosen, he also emerged among the very first stars to declare his creative independence, working almost solely in movies of his own choosing. This resulted in 4 Best Oscar nominations in 5 years: The Keys of the Kingdom (1945), The Yearling (1946), Gentleman's Agreement (1947), and Twelve O'Clock High (1949) along with impressive turns in Spellbound (1945), Duel in the Sun (1946), and Roman Holiday (1953). Playing Atticus Finch, an idealistic Southern attorney defending a black man charged with rape, in To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) finally won him an Oscar. His portrayal of Atticus Finch was named the greatest film hero of the past 100 years by the American Film Institute.
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

As to Laurence Olivier, Superpan already stated that he voted for him. That others perhaps also voted for him does not necessarily mean that he made the cut (I'll post my excel file at the end for anyone to fiddle around with the formula). As shown below, not even five votes is safe from being cut from the top 100 or four votes qualified in the top 200:
5 votes, Joaquin Phoenix (#104)
4 votes, John Travolta (#107)
4 votes, James Cagney (#123)
4 votes, Eddie Murphy (#124)
4 votes, Alec Guiness (#134)
4 votes, Tony Curtis (#137)
4 votes, Vivien Leigh (#138)
4 votes, William Holden (#143)
4 votes, Paul Giamatti (#145)
4 votes, Sissy Spacek (#146)
4 votes, Deborah Kerr (#159)
4 votes, Frances McDormand (#185)
4 votes, Sean Penn (#193)
4 votes, Charles Laughton (#197)
4 votes, Gary Oldman (#218)

This situation is not limited to this poll; the AMF 1950s Song Poll Results had four songs at the 91st position due to a #1 vote by a single voter. In this poll, Petri's #1 actor almost made it to the top 100. Personally, there's nothing wrong with giving the spotlight to an entry not as well-known as others as long as it is not done for trolling purposes.

...on the other hand, maybe Laurence Olivier is one of the all-male top 10 film/TV performers. You'll soon find out. :whistle:
Superpan
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Superpan »

Another round of hot takes!

Jim Carrey - Who would have thought that the hyper-comedian could be so capable of such quiet dramatic turns as well? Carrey's go-for-broke nature may create at times, but that innate need to perform and the fear of ostracization that drives it animates all of his work, be it The Riddler, Count Olaf, or Joel Barish. Number of Films I've Seen: 8 Favorite Film: Objectively it should be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but his most definitive performance for me may well be the Riddler in Batman Forever. Of course, I have to say Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues may be my favorite film that involves him I've seen.

Buster Keaton - Keaton's a figure I've evolved with in my opinions of him and his rival, Charlie Chaplin. Based on a childhood fear of Chaplin and critics such as Roger Ebert, I fully expected to prefer him to Chaplin. Indeed, when I started to explore their short work, I preferred Keaton to Chaplin. However, once I moved into their features, Chaplin's appealed to me far more than Keaton's which grew boring at large points. It seemed to me that Keaton's films are more obsessed with the stunts than the story, which I never quite got that invested in as opposed to Chaplin's. Having seen all of his major independent features, I may need to revisit his shorts to see if Keaton's genius was more built towards a shorter run-time or if he may just be only mildly enjoyable to me.
Number of Films I've Seen: 14 (including 2 shorts) Favorite Film: Sunset Boulevard is the best but he's only in it for a shot or two. In his own work, I'd put Sherlock Jr. as his best, with the caveat that Our Hospitality is my favorite of his films over an hour long.

Spencer Tracy - It's been said that Spencer Tracy was the best actor of Golden Age Hollywood. While I don't know if I'd go that far, it's hard to disagree when you see his preternaturally aged visage deliver a rousing monologue on-screen or strangely intimidating (usually in a courtroom for both). When you see him argue for the temple of the human mind in Inherit The Wind, you know you're watching a giant at his craft. Number of Films I've Seen: 8 Favorite Film: Inherit The Wind

Marcello Mastroianni - Yes! Love to see this guy get some credit. Fellini's suave alter-ego, Mastroianni brought a sense of weariness and masculine bravado to every role he ever played. There perhaps was never a cooler onscreen presence to this man, as he bore the cross of postwar European drudgery. Personally, if I had to pick a cinematic Adam & Eve, I'd pick him and his lover Catherine Deneuve. Number of Films I've Seen: 4 Favorite Film: 8 1/2

Christopher Walken - Walken's an actor who I love but I didn't place on my ballot because I felt perhaps he's all personality instead of disappearing in his roles. But what a personality! It's hard to describe Walken's off-kilter personality except as "weird" or "dangerous" or "what exactly is that accent." Yet its enough to elevate fare like The Country Bears into something special. Or at least into "something." Number of Films I've Seen: 8 Favorite Film: Pennies From Heaven

Emma Stone - While I wasn't as hot on La La Land as some people (and didn't hate it as much as some people either), Emma Stone still would deserve an Oscar for being one of the best actors working. Easy A is arguably the best teen film the 21st Century has produced and its all thanks to her performance, while Gwen Stacy remains one of the best superhero movie love interests. While other actors have struggled to keep the reliability that made them big, she's kept it along with her humor, her voice (though no one sounded great in La La Land besides John Legend), and her eyes that put Bette Davis to shame. TO SHAME, I SAY! Number of Films I've Seen: 10 Favorite Film: Easy A

Anthony Hopkins - An actor who can bring prestige (or horror) to any film, I don't know if I have anything particularly interesting to say about this classically trained master of his craft. His interviews are getting a lot of fun though. A while ago on James Corden, he claimed he doesn't have any friends and that being on stage isn't worth it anymore because he doesn't feel he needs to please an audience. Fun stuff. Number of Films I've Seen: 5 Favorite Film: The Elephant Man

Lucille Ball - The First Lady of Television and of comedy. While I've seen episodes of I Love Lucy, I'll admit it doesn't tickle my funny bone like other vintage TV Shows like The Dick Van Dyke Show. It's good, just not as memorable. However, I do have very vivid memories of her film career that preceded it. Getting her start in the Astaire/Rogers series as a glorified extra, she worked her way up into either playing the snarky best friend or the gutter trash that's playing all the guys in Dance, Girl, Dance. Number of Films I've Seen: 12 Favorite Film: Top Hat is the best but she has only one line, so that honor goes to Dance, Girl, Dance

Edward Norton - An actor I didn't really know about until he was in the The Incredible Hulk that was incredibly average. He's a good actor who can disappear into roles even if he wears his reputation as an "actor" on his sleeve. Still, quite talented, quite talented indeed. Number of Films I've Seen: 5 Favorite Film: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Naomi Watts - When I first saw her in King Kong, I thought she was talented and pretty but then put her out of my mind. Until I saw Mulholland Drive that not only intensified my crush on her, but my realization that she might be the most underrated actor working today. Without trying to explain, she is by turns an optimistic detective and a depressed failure with everything in between. She needs more roles to show a range that can go from Nicole Kidman-esque grace to Kristen Bell-level spunk. Number of Films I've Seen: 4 Favorite Film: Mulholland Drive

John Wayne - My grandfather's favorite movie star. It took a while for me to come around to watching Wayne's films because I associated him with being old-fashioned and a throwback to outdated masculinity. And yes he is these things but he's also is the personification of the Old West. No matter how much debate there is, he'll cut the Gordian Knot and do what needs to be done. He both knows what to do and, in his later roles, when he's outlived his purpose. Number of Films I've Seen: 11 Favorite Film: Stagecoach

Peter Sellers - Many actors are character actors who put on a variety of outlandish characters, but Peter Sellers is perhaps the most bizarre of the lot. Never before or since has one actor played so many radically different characters with the sense that there's no person underneath. This connotes an air of danger to all his performances...except, of course, Inspector Closeau. Number of Films I've Seen: 4 Favorite Film: Apparently he's in Beat The Devil but I'll put Lolita for my personal favorite of what little I've seen all the way through.

Bill Murray - Perhaps our most profound actor-clown. After earning his keep as the king of the snark in the 1980s, Bill Murray deepened his exploration of the roots behind the disaffected snark in classics such as Groundhog Day and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissouto the point that now you don't know if Murray will play a character that's completely depressive or over-filled with joy. What a delightful continuum that only produced two Garfield movies, so on the whole I'd call him one of the best working today. Number of Films I've Seen: 15 Favorite Film: Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

Brad Pitt Should probably see more of his work to form a stronger opinion. I'll cop to not being so hot on a lot of the important period dramas that have dominated his filmography as of late, but he's definitely proven his chops as an actor. I remember The Devil's Own looking good. Number of Films I've Seen: 6 Favorite Film: Megamind

Denzel Washington - Along with Tom Hanks, the heir to Jimmy Stewart's relatable everyman type. But if Hanks is Stewart's "aw-shucks" side, Washington is Stewart's darker side. Washington excels at showing the corruption behind the smiling facade, the simmering anger at the world lurking underneath the charm. One of those actors that can make a monologue a meal. Number of Films I've Seen: 4 Favorite Film: Philadelphia

Gary Cooper - Gary Cooper's really weird in that he plays the same role in every movie (at his own request) and as such didn't have the biggest range. But I want to see every movie he's ever been in. Chalk it up to being a creature of the cinema like Garbo and Monroe. Until near the end when the ravages of his lifestyle made him look too old for the leading man parts, Cooper carried in him the romance, the comedy, and the heroic spirit that symbolize Hollywood. When he looked devastated in films such as High Noon, his stare could go for a thousand miles. Number of Films I've Seen: 14 Favorite Film: Design For Living

Orson Welles - My second favorite filmmaker and (for better or worse) one of my personal role models. But what about his acting? Orson's control of the written word is of course part of what he's known for: endless numbers of his lines are quotable and hearing him read Shakespeare is music to my ears. But see the light shine on his smile in The Third Man or his glowering at the opera house in Citizen Kane and you'll see that his acting is one of the primary ways he was one of the great storytelling artists of the 20th Century. Number of Films I've Seen: 17 (Not counting Heart Of Ages and his trailers, which were mini short films) Favorite Film: Citizen Kane

Kate Winslet - Unfortunately is in the middle of some of my idols, so I worry my praise won't be as effusive. But she's still a remarkable actor able to laugh, cry, and be stern in equal measure. Often a lady, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind shows she's able to play so much more. Number of Films I've Seen: 3 Favorite Film: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Fred Astaire - Oh boy, how to write only a paragraph about this guy? I had known about Fred since I was a young kid, but seeing him with Ginger in Top Hat was a revelation. Here was to put it simply, the coolest nerd in film history: able to toss off witticism after witticism, could banter with the ladies, and maybe couldn't take you in a fight but his feet weren't on your playing field. His dancing was bar none the best, always focused on the storytelling and committed to his partners. His singing introduced the classic songs that would make up Frank Sinatra's best hits. As for his acting, it's telling that he was actually nominated for a competitive acting Oscar late in life while Gene Kelly never was. The complete movie star. Number of Films I've Seen: 29 Favorite Film: Swing Time

Catherine Deneuve - Possibly the most beautiful woman of the 20th Century, but so much more. Her inscrutable face gave her a reputation for iciness used to great effect in such films as Belle De Jour and The Hunger but it's in the magical films of Jacques Demy I love her most as the tragic princess of the modern age, her fairy tale face expressing the tragedy of life not going your way. Glad to say she's still working but I feel like I should have said more! Number of Films I've Seen: 7 Favorite Film: The Young Girls of Rochefort
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Wow, I just realized we potentially have some serious amount of women coming up. Katharine Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Bette Davis, Audrey Hepburn, Meryl Streep, Joan Crawford, and Barbara Stanwyck are just some who could make it in the top thirty-five. That's impressive. Okay, I know a couple of them will, but still... Girl power!

Oh, and Dexter, I placed Catherine Deneuve at #8. I should be a fan.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I really enjoyed reading your personal comments Superpan, and I tend to agree with most of them such as Keaton's over-reliance on stunts (though I still placed him at #99). Keep up the great work, you're a great addition to the forum!

And yes, you are Deneuve's fan babydoll, in fact, the poll's biggest Deneuve fan, mistake on my part.

#35 to #31....

35. Harrison Ford (1942-)
Bio: If Ford had listened to the advice of studio heads early in his career, he would have remained a carpenter and never gone on to star in some of Hollywood's biggest films and become one of the industry's most bankable stars. The struggling actor's luck changed when a casting director friend for whom he was doing some construction helped him get a part in George Lucas' American Graffiti (1973). Many audience members responded to his gruffly macho, subtly charismatic performance that would later become his trademark. He then gained worldwide fame for his starring roles as Han Solo in the Star Wars film series and as the title character of the Indiana Jones film series. He is also known for his roles as Rick Deckard in the neo-noir dystopian science fiction film Blade Runner (1982); John Book in the thriller Witness (1985), for which he was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actor (his only nomination) and was praise by critics who had previously ignored his acting ability; and Jack Ryan in the action films Patriot Games (1992) and Clear and Present Danger (1994). The success of The Fugitive (1993) and Air Force One (1997) proved that even in his 50s he was still a bona fide action hero. The new millennium had him reprising his roles as Indiana Jones and Han Solo.

34. Clint Eastwood (1930-)
Bio: With his rugged good looks and icon status, Eastwood was long one of the few actors whose name on a movie marquee could guarantee a hit. After achieving success in the Western TV series Rawhide in the late '50s, he rose to international fame with his role as the cool, laconic Man with No Name in Sergio Leone's Dollars Trilogy of Spaghetti Westerns during the '60s, and as the gritty antihero cop Harry Callahan in the five Dirty Harry films throughout the '70s and '80s. These roles, among others, have made him an enduring cultural icon of masculinity. He has since earned widespread praise for directing such films as Unforgiven (1992) and Million Dollar Baby (2004), which not only won him Oscars for Best Director and Best Picture, but also receiving nominations for Best Actor. In 2003, he was honored with the SAG Life Achievement Award.

33. Leonardo DiCaprio (1974-)
Bio: Over the course of the '90s, DiCaprio graduated from TV supporting work to one of the most sought-after young Hollywood actors. He started out in TV commercials in the early 1990s, after which he had recurring roles in TV shows Santa Barbara and Growing Pains before moving on to film, He scored an Oscar nomination for his role in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993), and at 19, was hailed as an actor to watch. But it wasn't until 1996 that he became a bona fide star, thanks to his portrayal of Romeo in Romeo + Juliet. The next year, he starred in Titanic, which made him a global star notwithstanding his much-discussed exclusion from the Oscar nominations. The actor has also paired up with iconic director Martin Scorsese for several projects, including The Aviator (2004), The Departed (2006) and The Wolf of Wall Street (2013), earning Oscar nominations for the first and third films. His other recent and well-received films include Blood Diamond (2006) for which he was also nominated for an Oscar, Inception (2010), Django Unchained (2012), and The Revenant (2015), winning his first Oscar for the latter.

32. Toshiro Mifune (1920-1997)
Points: 183.02Votes: 5Biggest Fans: Petri (#7) and BleuPanda (#10)
Bio: With no prior acting experience, Mifune launched his movie career in 1946 and, two years later, worked for the first time with legendary director Akira Kurosawa in Drunken Angel. His raw, unbridled masculinity was ideal for such Kurosawa films as Rashomon (1950) and The Seven Samurai (1954). But as he matured artistically, the actor proved he was no one-trick pony, as demonstrated by his low-key, carefully crafted performance as a tormented business executive in High and Low (1963). His imposing bearing, acting range, facility with foreign languages and lengthy partnership with Kurosawa made him the most famous Japanese actor of his time, and easily the best known to Western audiences. He was held in as high esteem by the film industry as he was by the public, winning Venice Film Festival awards for his performances in Kurosawa's Yojimbo (1960) and Red Beard (1965). His wandering warrior persona and ability to shift from macho to subtle sensitivity was adapted by Clint Eastwood, who, ironically, played the Mifune-character role in A Fistful of Dollars, the 1964 remake of Yojimbo.

31. Cate Blanchett (1969-)
Bio: With her regal and elegant visage, Blanchett broke through the mob of aspiring actors and instantly ascended the ranks to Hollywood stardom with her Oscar-nominated turn as Queen Elizabeth I in Elizabeth (1998). Her concomitantly poignant and fierce portrayal won admiration from critics and filmgoers, but she had maintained a low enough profile in years prior (and her celebrity materialized so quickly) that the Elizabeth triumph appeared to pull the heretofore unseen actress from out of thin air and caught just about everyone off guard. She is the only actress to receive Oscar nominations for portraying the same role in two films, accomplished in by reprising her above role in the 2007 sequel Elizabeth: The Golden Age. A seven-time Oscar nominee, she has also received nominations for Notes on a Scandal (2006), I'm Not There (2007), Carol (2015), and won twice; for her supporting role in the 2004 film The Aviator and as an unhinged socialite in 2013's Blue Jasmine. For big-budget films, she was cast as Galadriel in the The Lord of the Ring & The Hobbit trilogies, and her turn as Hela in the upcoming Thor: Ragnarok film is anticipated by many.
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Strong group!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I see what you did there.

An intergalactic rogue, gunslinger, samurai, and an uhmm... bear-proof guy would make a tough team but really rendered redundant by either Galadriel or Hela.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

30. Woody Allen (1935-)
Bio: Allen redefined film comedy during the '70s, bringing a new measure of sophistication and personal complexity to the form. Drawing universal insight from the traditions of Yiddish humor, he established himself both as a comic Everyman and one of American filmmaking's true auteurs, acting, writing and directing features which broke with established narrative conventions and infused the screen-comedy form with unprecedented substance and depth. Allen often stars in his films, typically in the persona he developed earlier as a standup. Allen's pace of dialogue, nervous verbosity, awkward gesticulations and overconfidence mixed paradoxically with self-consciousness are so uniquely his own that he has not gotten enough credit over the years for his work as an actor; perhaps because of the longstanding perception that he only plays himself. Even when he casts somebody else to play one of his movies’ intensely neurotic leading men, critics refer to it as “the Woody Allen role,” as though what he does can be reduced to a series of tics, gestures, and inflections. However, a comparison of his over 40 films, the best-known of which are Annie Hall (1977), for which he was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar, Manhattan (1979), Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), and Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) will show an actor of many layers.

29. Henry Fonda (1905-1982)
Bio: One of the cinema's most enduring actors, Fonda enjoyed a highly successful career. He made his Hollywood debut in 1935, and his career gained momentum after his Oscar-nominated performance as Tom Joad in 1940 adaptation of the novel The Grapes of Wrath. The year before, critical praise came his way for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln in Young Mr. Lincoln. Throughout five decades, he cultivated a strong, appealing screen image in such classics as The Lady Eve (1941), The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), My Darling Clementine (1946), Fort Apache (1948), Mister Roberts (1955), and 12 Angry Men (1957), earning an Oscar nomination for the latter film. Later, he went against type with great effect as the villain in Once Upon a Time in the West (1968). He finally won for an Oscar for Best Actor for his final on-screen performance in 1981's On Golden Pond, a year after receiving an Honorary Oscar for Lifetime Achievement.

28. Jeff Bridges (1949-)
Points: 186.92Votes: 7Biggest Fans: acroamor and Midaso (#12)
Bio: Bridges broke through with The Last Picture Show (1971), for which he earned his first Oscar nomination. Two years later, he garnered another Oscar nomination, for his role in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974). Bridges worked steadily thereafter, starring in a number of films, such as Heaven's Gate (1981) and TRON (1982). In 1984, he earned yet another Oscar nomination for his role in Starman and continued to find acclaim for his work, in such movies as The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989) and Fearless (1993). In 1998, Bridges experienced a resurgence in popularity with the cult hit, The Big Lebowski. Playing Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, a hippie bowler who goes on a strange, drug-induced journey in order to have his favorite rug replaced, he was a hit with the audiences who were drawn to his character. His role in 2000's The Contender was also well received, earning him another Oscar nomination. In 2010, he received his fifth Oscar nomination and first win, this time for his role in the previous year's romantic drama Crazy Heart. He continues to regularly appear on the big screen such as True Grit (2010) and Hell or High Water (2016), both of which were Oscar-nominated roles.

27. Laurence Olivier (1907-1989)
Points: 187.32Votes: 5Biggest Fan: Dexter (#1) and Bruno (#10)
Bio: Olivier has been variously lauded as the greatest Shakespearean interpreter of the 20th century, the greatest classical actor of the era, and the greatest actor of his generation. Although his career took a rather desperate turn toward the end when he seemed willing to appear in almost anything, the bulk of his 60-year career stands as a sterling example of extraordinary craftsmanship. Along with his contemporaries Ralph Richardson and John Gielgud, he dominated the British stage but he also worked in films throughout his career. He was Oscar-nominated for the following: Wuthering Heights (1939), Rebecca (1940), a trilogy of Shakespeare films as actor-director: Henry V (1944), Hamlet (1948), and Richard III (1956), The Entertainer (1960), Othello (1965), Sleuth (1972), Marathon Man (1976) and The Boys from Brazil (1978), winning the Oscar for Hamlet. While he did not the Oscar for Best Actor in Henry V, Olivier was given an Oscar "special award."His TV appearances included Emmy wins for his roles in The Moon and Sixpence (1960), Long Day's Journey into Night (1973), Love Among the Ruins (1975), Brideshead Revisited (1981) and King Lear (1983). While it is debated whether or not he is the definitive actor of the last century, some colleagues, such as Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, came to regard him as the finest of his peers.

26. Bette Davis (1908-1989)
Bio: Regarded as one of the greatest actresses in Hollywood history, Davis was noted for her willingness to play unsympathetic, sardonic but strong-willed women who defied society's rules and was reputed for her performances in a range of film genres, from contemporary crime melodramas to historical and period films and occasional comedies, although her greatest successes were her roles in romantic dramas. After a brief theater career, she became one of the biggest stars in the Hollywood studio system, appearing in nearly 100 films before her death in 1989, amassing numerous Oscar nominations: Dangerous (1935), Jezebel (1938), Dark Victory (1939), The Letter (1940), The Little Foxes (1941), Now, Voyager (1942), Mr. Skeffington (1944), All About Eve (1950), The Star (1952), What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962), winning her first two nominations. Her most indelible performance, though, was in the show-business drama All About Eve, starring as Margo Channing, a theater actress who fends off the insecurities of approaching middle age (and the scheming of a manipulative protégé) with sarcastic wit and more than a few cocktails. In one of her many memorable lines, she quipped, "Fasten your seatbelts: it's going to be a bumpy night." She received the American Film Institute Life Achievement Award in 1977.
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Karla
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Karla »

33. Leonardo DiCaprio (1974-)
:happy-partydance:
So come on let it go..
Just let it be... :music-listening:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Glad to see Laurence Olivier place! And so high too!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

25. Bryan Cranston (1956-)
Bio: A familiar face to TV viewers thanks to his Emmy-nominated role as the more-than-slightly demented father on the sitcom Malcolm in the Middle (2000-2006), longtime stage and screen actor Bryan Cranston has had a rich and varied career, lending his talents to everything from anime voice work (Armitage III and Macross Plus) to daytime TV (as an original cast member of Loving). His commanding but off-kilter presence and quirky charm have easily provided him with the necessary range to essay such diverse roles, and the actor can always be counted on to inject a healthy dose of personality into his performances, no matter how large or small the role may be. He had supporting roles in such high-profile films as That Thing You Do! (1996), Saving Private Ryan (1998), Little Miss Sunshine (2006), Drive (2011), Argo (2012) and Godzilla (2014). He earned his greatest fame, however, for the portrayal of Walter White in the critically acclaimed drama Breaking Bad (2008-2013), garnering four Emmy wins for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series. Cranston has also claimed Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for his performance in the 2015 biopic Trumbo.

24. Audrey Hepburn (1929-1993)
Points: 203.60Votes: 5Biggest Fans: bonnielaurel (#6) and Miguel (#8)
Bio: Magical screen presence, fashion arbiter, shrine to good taste, and tireless crusader for children's rights, Hepburn has become one of the most enduring screen icons of the 20th century. Known for her Oscar-nominated performances in Sabrina (1954), The Nun's Story (1959), Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) and Wait Until Dark (1963), with a Best Actress win for her first leading role in Roman Holiday (1953). In fact, audiences and critics alike were wowed by her portrayal of Princess Ann, the royal who escapes the constrictions of her title for a short time that she was the first actress to win an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a BAFTA Award for a single performance. Showcasing her dancing abilities (she was a trained ballerina and a chorus girl in musical theater productions), she starred opposite Fred Astaire in the musical Funny Face (1957), it was also the first of many collaborations with designer Givenchy, helping her become a fashion icon. She also earned critical and commercial success in Charade (1963) and My Fair Lady (1964). In her later years, acting took a back seat to her work on behalf of children and won a special Oscar for her humanitarian work in 1993.

23. Michael Caine (1933-)
Bio: An icon of British cool, Caine has enjoyed a prolific career. He made his breakthrough in the '60s in British films such as Zulu (1964), The Ipcress File (1965), Alfie (1966), for which he was nominated for an Oscar for playing the '60s ultimate ladies' man, The Italian Job (1969), and Battle of Britain (1969). His most notable roles in the '70s included Get Carter (1971), Sleuth (1972), for which he earned his second Academy Award nomination, The Man Who Would Be King (1975), and A Bridge Too Far (1977). He achieved some of his greatest critical success in the '80s, with Educating Rita (1983) earning him an Oscar nomination and the BAFTA and Golden Globe Award wins. In 1986, he received an Oscar for for his supporting role in Hannah and Her Sisters. His career hit a bit of a lull in the '90s until he gave great performances in Little Voice (1998) and The Cider House Rules (1999), the latter bringing him his second Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. In 2000, Caine was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in recognition of his contribution to cinema. In 2002, he took home a slew of awards and was nominated for even more, including an Oscar for The Quiet American. Three years later, he began a relationship with director Christopher Nolan and would go on to appear in the Dark Knight trilogy (2005-2012), The Prestige (2006), Inception (2010), and Interstellar (2014). He is one of only two actors nominated for an Oscar for acting in every decade from the '60s to '00s (the other one being Jack Nicholson; Laurence Olivier was also nominated for an acting Oscar from the '30s-'70s).

22. Nicole Kidman (1967-)
Points: 209.06Votes: 7Biggest Fans: bonnielaurel and BleuPanda (#8)
Bio: Once relegated to decorative parts and acknowledged primarily as the wife of Tom Cruise, Kidman spent the late '90s and onward earning much-deserved critical respect. She entered the American mindset with her role opposite Cruise in Days of Thunder (1990), but it wasn't until she starred as a homicidal weather girl in 1995's To Die For that she achieved recognition as a thespian of considerable range and talent. When her marriage to Cruise ended, her career reached new heights. She was nominated for an Oscar for her portrayal of a Parisian singer and courtesan in the musical Moulin Rouge! (2001). The following year, she wowed critics and audiences alike with her performance as Virginia Woolf in The Hours (2002); she received several major honors for her work, including her first Oscar. Her performances in The Others (2001), Cold Mountain (2003), Dogville (2004), Birth (2004), Rabbit Hole (2010) and The Paperboy (2012) were also well-received with Rabbit Hole earning her another Oscar nomination. In 2012, she earned her first Emmy Award nomination for for her role in the HBO biopic Hemingway & Gellhorn (2012). Lion (2016) gave her a fourth Oscar nomination and the next year, she returned to TV, starring in the HBO miniseries Big Little Lies.

21. Morgan Freeman (1937-)
Bio: Except for 1980's Brubank, Freeman's filmography was undistinguished until he played the dangerously emotional pimp in Street Smart (1987), earning him an Oscar nomination. Two years later in Driving Miss Daisy (1989), playing the role of a dignified, patient Southern chauffeur, he again earned an Oscar nomination. His role in Glory that same year was also praised. By the '90s, he was starring in high-profile films such as Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991), 1994's The Shawshank Redemption, giving him another Oscar nomination, Seven (1995), and Deep Impact (1998). He was a natural to play God in the 2003 comedy Bruce Almighty and its sequel. His eloquent, distinctive voice has also made him a natural for narration. In 2005 alone, his voice can be heard the War of the Worlds and the March of the Penguins. That same year, he won an Oscar for his role in Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby. He teamed up with Eastwood again in 2009, playing the role of South African President Nelson Mandela in Invictus, earning him another Oscar nomination. In 2012, he received the Cecil B. DeMille Award for "outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment." In 2016, President Obama presented him with a National Medal of Arts, honoring him "for his outstanding work as an actor, director, and narrator. His iconic stage and screen performances have brought to life characters from the whole spectrum of the human experience, moving audiences around the world, and influencing countless young artists."
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Very surprised by Cranston. Not that I'm complaining because I had him at 26th on my list but surprised he even made it and made it so high.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Embarrassing fact: Cranston earned high marks on my list not just for Breaking Bad and All the Way (which I had the great privilege of seeing on Broadway), but also for his role as Vitaly the tiger in the highly underrated Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:Embarrassing fact: Cranston earned high marks on my list not just for Breaking Bad and All the Way (which I had the great privilege of seeing on Broadway), but also for his role as Vitaly the tiger in the highly underrated Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.
Malcolm in the Middle is on Netflix; he's great in it. Check it out.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

25. Bryan Cranston (1956-)
Great surprise.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Good places for Audrey Hepburn and Nicole Kidman, two actresses with a broad range from drama to comedy.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Embarrassing fact: Cranston earned high marks on my list not just for Breaking Bad and All the Way (which I had the great privilege of seeing on Broadway), but also for his role as Vitaly the tiger in the highly underrated Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.
Malcolm in the Middle is on Netflix; he's great in it. Check it out.
Maybe I'm biased because I watched this show every schoolnight when I was a kid, but I think this sitcom has a very memorable cast of personalities among the main characters. Definitely worth checking out.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I'm personally surprised with Cranston's very high ranking and to a lesser extent the guys on the 20th & 19th spot, also two of StevieFan's favorites, though I'm not really complaining, I think they're superb actors.

20. Robin Williams (1951-2014)
Bio: Onstage, on TV, in films or in a serious interview, listening to and watching comedian/actor Robin Williams was an extraordinary experience. An improvisational master, his words rushed forth in a gush of manic energy. They punctuated even the most basic story with sudden subject detours that often dissolved into flights of comic fancy, bawdy repartee, and unpredictable celebrity impressions before returning earthward with some pithy comment or dead-on observation. After developing this style as a stand-up comedian, he landed his own TV show, Mork and Mindy (1978-82), and then moved into film. In 1987, writer-director Barry Levinson drew from both sides of Williams - the manic shtickmeister and the studied Juliard thesp - for Good Morning, Vietnam, in which the actor portrayed a real-life DJ stationed in Saigon during the late '60s. Levinson shot the film strategically, by encouraging often outrageous, behind-the-mike improvisatory comedy routines for the scenes of radio broadcasts but evoking more sober drama for Williams's scenes outside it. Williams received a much-deserved Oscar nomination. Another Oscar nomination came for playing an inspirational English teacher in Dead Poets Society (1989). He subsequently tackled a restrained performance in Awakenings (1990) and his tragi-comic portrayal of a mad, homeless man in search of salvation and the Holy Grail in The Fisher King (1991) earned him a third nomination. In 1993, he lent his voice to Aladdin, in which he played a rollicking genie and was allowed to go all out with ad-libs, improvs, and scads of celebrity improvisations. Further successes came in 1993's Mrs. Doubtfire and The Birdcage (1995). In 1997, Williams turned in one of his best dramatic performances in Good Will Hunting, a performance for which he was rewarded with an Oscar.

19. Samuel L. Jackson (1948-)
Points: 245.36Votes: 6Biggest Fans: prosecutorgodot (#3) and StevieFan (#7)
Bio: Jackson emerged in the '90s as one of the most prominent and well-respected actors in Hollywood. Work on a number of film has given him ample opportunity to display an ability marked by both remarkable versatility and smooth intelligence. He was discovered by the public in the role of the hero's tempestuous, drug-addict brother in 1991's Jungle Fever. Roles in Patriot Games (1992), Amos & Andrew (1993), True Romance (1993) soon followed. 1994 was a particularly felicitous year for Jackson; while his appearances in Jurassic Park (1993) and Menace II Society (1993) were still being seen in second-run houses, he starred as a mercurial hit man in Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction, a performance that earned him an Oscar nomination. He teamed with Tarantino again in Jackie Brown (1997), Django Unchained (2012), and The Hateful Eight (2015). As one of the hardest-working Hollywood actors, he have appeared in over 100 films, including Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995), Unbreakable (2000), Shaft (2000), The 51st State (2001), Black Snake Moan (2006), Snakes on a Plane (2006), and the Star Wars prequel trilogy (1999–2005), as well as the Marvel Cinematic Universe, playing the role of Nick Fury. As a result, he was named in 2011 (and is still is) the highest grossing actor of all time.

18. Julianne Moore (1960-)
Points: 272.31Votes: 8Biggest Fans: acroamor (#5) and Midaso (#8)
Bio: Boasting talent and versatility, Moore has proven herself equally adept in both mainstream blockbusters and smaller, more intelligent films. First became known for her Emmy-winning role on the soap opera As The World Turns (1985-88), she later turned to films. She first received critical attention with Short Cuts (1993), and successive performances in Vanya on 42nd Street (1994) and Safe (1995) continued this acclaim. Moore later received considerable recognition earning Oscar nominations for Boogie Nights (1997), The End of the Affair (1999), Far from Heaven (2002) and The Hours (2002). In the first of these she played a '70s pornographic actress, while the others featured her as an unhappy, mid-20th century housewife. She also had critical success with the films The Big Lebowski (1998), An Ideal Husband (1999), Magnolia (1999), Children of Men (2006), A Single Man (2009), and The Kids Are All Right (2010), and won several awards for her portrayal of Sarah Palin in the TV film Game Change (2012). 2014 was also a highlight, as she gave an Oscar-winning performance as an Alzheimer's patient in Still Alice, was named Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival for Maps to the Stars, and joined the lucrative Hunger Games series.

17. Philip Seymour Hoffman (1967-2014)
Points: 299.03Votes: 6Biggest Fans: acroamor (#3), Petri (#4), and Midaso (#8)
Bio: One of the most original, versatile, and steadily employed actors in Hollywood, Hoffman made a name for himself playing some of the most dysfunctional characters -typically lowlifes, bullies, and misfits- in movie history. Although he had been acting for years, most audiences were first introduced to the actor in 1997's Boogie Nights, where he played a nebbishy soundman with a jones for Mark Wahlberg's Dirk Diggler. Imbuing his character with both humor and poignant complexity, he was one of the more memorable aspects of an unforgettable film. Notable roles in Happiness (1998), The Big Lebowski (1998), Magnolia (1999), and The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) soon followed. He began to occasionally play leading roles, and for his portrayal of the author Truman Capote in Capote (2005), won multiple accolades including the Best Actor Oscar. His profile continued to grow, and he received three more Oscar nominations for his supporting work as a brutally frank CIA officer in Charlie Wilson's War (2007), a priest accused of pedophilia in Doubt (2008), and the charismatic leader of a Scientology-type movement in The Master (2012). While he mainly worked in independent films, including The Savages (2007) and Synecdoche, New York (2008), he also appeared in Hollywood blockbusters, such as Twister (1996) and Mission: Impossible III (2006), and in one of his final roles, as Plutarch Heavensbee in the Hunger Games series (2013–15, starting in Catching Fire).

16. Meryl Streep (1949-)
Points: 300.44Votes: 6Biggest Fans: Dexter (#3), Bruno (#5), StevieFan (#8), and acroamor (#8)
Bio: Sydney Pollack once proclaimed Streep as the most gifted film actress of the late 20th century. Most insiders would concur with this assessment. To avid moviegoers, she represents the essence of onscreen dramatic art. She demonstrates a transcendent ability to plunge into her characters and lose herself inside of them, transforming herself physically to meet the demands of her roles not to mention her gift of accent adaptation. She began appearing in films in the '70s and soon began earning major accolades, eventually winning Oscars for Kramer vs. Kramer (1979), playing a scarred and torn spouse in the heartbreaking divorce saga, Sophie's Choice (1982), a gut-wrenching interpretation of the titular Holocaust survivor, and The Iron Lady (2012), playing English Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, among a league of nominations: The Deer Hunter (1978), The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981), Silkwood (1983), Out of Africa (1985), Ironweed (1987), Evil Angels (1988), Postcards from the Edge (1990), The Bridges of Madison County (1995), One True Thing (1998), Music of the Heart (1999), Adaptation (2002), The Devil Wears Prada (2006), Doubt (2008), Julie & Julia (2009), August: Osage County (2013), Into the Woods (2014) and Florence Foster Jenkins (2016). Equally able to wow audiences in drama, comedy, and musicals (2008's Mamma Mia! is U.K.'s biggest film and her biggest U.S. hit), she has come to be considered one of the greatest film actresses of our time. She also won two Emmy Awards for her roles the 1978 miniseries Holocaust and 2004's HBO miniseries Angels in America (2003).

...and yes Meryl Streep is not the highest ranked actress
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Very surprised and happy to see Bryan Cranston ranking so high. His performance in Breaking Bad elevated that show from "great" to "superb".
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Glad to see a few of my higher picks show up, including my #1 (I guess it would've been too much to expect him in the top 10, but a comfy spot in the top 20 suits him fine). I've been pleased in general with the amount of comic actors on the list (although Robin Williams did his fair share of dramatic work as well).

Now, who is the highest ranked actress? Also, Julianne Moore is really 56? She looks great!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Also, just saying: unless I missed her, Katherine Hepburn doesn't seem to have shown up yet...
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:Also, just saying: unless I missed her, Katherine Hepburn doesn't seem to have shown up yet...
Good! Because I watching Suddenly, Last Summer with both Elizabeth Taylor and Katharine Hepburn. I used to think Katharine Hepburn was nothing compared to Elizabeth Taylor in this movie, but watching this again, I realized what a strange quality Katharine Hepburn has that just draws you in. Oh, and Katharine Hepburn played the role of Violet Venable really well, of course.

I love how high Julianne Moore ranked; if I expanded my list from 30 to 100, Julianne Moore would have easily been on it.

Samuel L. Jackson at #19? Really? Really? Maybe it's because I've totally forgotten what other movies he was in and how good he was in them, but his performances in Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown felt a little too samey for me.

Oh, and I watched Mulholland Dr. for the first time the other night, and no wonder Naomi Watts landed a place on this list! Holy shit. Just amazing.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

15. Katharine Hepburn (1907-2003)
Points: 323.74Votes: 6Biggest Fans: babydoll (#2), Dexter (#2), Miguel (#6), and Bruno (#9)
Bio: Known for her fierce independence and spirited personality, which she imbued in the characters she portrayed, whether in screwball comedy or literary drama. Her early years in film a success, including an Oscar for her third picture, Morning Glory (1933) and an Oscar nomination for Alice Adams (1935), but this was followed by commercial failures that led her to be labeled "box office poison" in 1938, despite the acclaim she received in Stage Door (1937) and Bringing Up Baby (1938). She masterminded her own comeback, buying out her contract and acquiring the film rights to The Philadelphia Story, which she sold on the condition that she be the star. The film was a success and earned her another Oscar nomination. In the '40s, she was contracted to MGM, where her career focused on an 25 year, 9 movie alliance with Spencer Tracy. Their first teaming, Woman of the Year (1942), resulted in another Oscar nomination. Later, she challenged herself, regularly appearing in stage productions and finding a niche playing middle-aged spinsters, such as her Oscar-nominated performance in The African Queen (1951), a persona the public embraced. She was also nominated for an Oscar for Summertime (1955), The Rainmaker (1956), Suddenly, Last Summer (1959), and Long Day's Journey into Night (1962), but it wasn't until 1967 that she got another win for her work in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, her last film with Tracy, and followed it with another win the next year in The Lion in Winter. She remained active into old age, garnering her final and record-setting fourth win with On Golden Pond (1981). In 1999, she was named by the AFI as the greatest female star of Classic Hollywood Cinema. With her unconventional lifestyle (she was outspoken, assertive, athletic, and wore trousers before it was fashionable for women to do so) and the independent characters she brought to the screen, Hepburn epitomized the "modern woman" in the 20th-century U.S.A. and is remembered as an important cultural figure.

14. Daniel Day-Lewis (1957-)
Points: 332.14Votes: 8Biggest Fans: BleuPanda and bootsy (#4)
Bio: An actor whose on-screen intensity is rivaled only by his off-screen intensity, Day-Lewis is one of the most acclaimed and least understood performers of his generation. Despite his traditional actor training he is considered to be a method actor; his complete immersion in his roles are legendary, from his insistence on remaining in a wheelchair between takes for My Left Foot to his refusal to accept manufactured cigarettes in favor of rolling his own, 18th-century style, while filming The Last of the Mohicans; to the point of adversely affecting his health. His first critically acclaimed roles were in 1985's My Beautiful Laundrette, playing a gay street punk, and A Room with a View, playing an insufferable Edwardian prig. He astonished critics and audiences with his chameleon-like versatility. He then assumed leading man status with The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988). The acclaim he received for his portrayal of a philandering Czech surgeon paled in comparison to that surrounding his performance as the cerebral palsy-stricken author and artist Christy Brown in My Left Foot (1989) winning an Oscar for it. After a break from film he returned in 1992's Last of the Mohicans. His second Oscar nomination came the next year for his powerful portrayal of a man wrongfully convicted of taking part in an IRA Bombing in In the Name of the Father. In 1997, he suddenly moved to Italy to become a cobbler though, he was back in 2002 for a much-lauded performance as the knife-wielding gangster Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York. Again submerging himself so much in the character (rumors persisted that he would speak with his film accent even while off-screen in addition to taking lessons by a genuine butcher) paid off as many cited his Oscar nominated performance as one of the most convincing of his career. He would again be showered with praise for his portrayal of Daniel Plainview, the ambitious, misanthropic center of There Will Be Blood (2007). His dominating performance won him his second Oscar. In 2012, he became the first to win a third Best Actor Oscar for his lauded performance as the title character in the biopic Lincoln. That same year, Time named him the "World's Greatest Actor." He announced his retirement in 2017, after completing his role in Phantom Thread, a drama about the fashion world.

13. Ingrid Bergman (1915-1982)
Image[/br]

Votes: 8[/br]
Biggest Fans: bonnielaurel (#2) and babydoll (#10)[/br]
Bio: Bergman is best remembered for her roles as Ilsa Lund in Casablanca (1942) and as Alicia Huberman in Notorious (1946); two roles inexplicably not given any Oscar nod. A star in her native Sweden, her introduction to American audiences came with Intermezzo (1939) an English-language remake of her earlier success. Her Nordic beauty and vitality set her squarely apart from the typical movie starlet, and quickly both Hollywood executives and audiences became enchanted with her. However, it was 1942's Casablanca which launched her to superstardom; she was positively radiant, her chemistry with Humphrey Bogart the stuff of pure magic. She then appeared in several films that earned her Oscar nominations: For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943), Gaslight (1944), The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) and Joan of Arc (1948), winning the Oscar for Gaslight. The 1945 Spellbound, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was another massive hit, and a year later they reunited for Notorious. Her portrayal of a spy in the latter film is considered as one of her greatest performances.After a decade in American films, she starred in Roberto Rossellini's Stromboli (1950) but the resulting affair, pregnancy, and then marriage with Rossellini created a scandal in the U.S. that forced her to remain in Europe for several years. Their films were boycotted by audiences. Few stars of her magnitude had ever suffered such a sudden and disastrous fall from grace; even fewer enjoyed as remarkable a comeback as the one she mounted with 1956's Anastasia, a historical tale which not only proved successful with audiences but also with critics, resulting in a second Oscar. She returned to Sweden to star in 1978's Autumn Sonata, the first and only time she worked with her namesake, the legendary director Ingmar Bergman as this was her final film performance. This resulted in her last Oscar nomination. Her final acting role was in the TV mini-series, A Woman Called Golda (1982) for which she was honored posthumously with her second Emmy Award (her first was in 1959 for her role in Startime's presentation of The Turn of the Screw).

12. Jack Lemmon (1925-2001)[/br]

Points: 346.24Votes: 8Biggest Fans: Miguel (#2) and Superpan (#5)
Bio: An everyman who could play outrageous comedy and wrenching tragedy, Lemmon burst onto the movie scene in the '50s and remained a beloved star until his death. Whether through humor or pathos, he excelled at illuminating the struggles of average men against a callous world. Drawing on his Navy memories to play the wily Ensign Pulver, he won an Oscar for his fourth film, Mister Roberts (1955). Later, writer/director Billy Wilder tapped him to play one of the cross-dressing musicians in the gender-tweaking comic classic Some Like It Hot (1959). As enthusiastically female bull fiddler Daphne, he danced a sidesplitting tango with a millionaire suitor and delivered a sublime speechless reaction to the latter's nonchalant acceptance of his manhood. Fresh off an Oscar nomination for that film, he then gave another Oscar-nominated performance in Wilder's The Apartment (1960). As ambitious New York office drone C.C. Baxter, who climbs the corporate ladder by loaning his small one-bedroom to his philandering bosses, he was both the likeable cynic and beleaguered romantic, perfectly embodying Wilder's sardonic view of a venal world. Lemmon's turn as the put-upon quotidian schnook pervaded the rest of his career. Determined to prove that he could play serious roles as well as comic, he played a fun-loving alcoholic husband in Days of Wine and Roses (1962). Revealing the darker side of middle-class desperation, he earned another Oscar nomination. For the rest of his career, he would comfortably shift back and forth between light comedic fare and serious dramas, most notably for the former was his partnership with Walter Matthau with 1966's The Fortune Cookie and The Odd Couple and Grumpy Old Men films. He won an Oscar in 1973 playing a man having a midlife crisis in Save the Tiger. More Oscar nominations followed: in The China Syndrome (1979), for his passionate turn as a conscience-stricken nuclear plant executive, in 1980's Tribute, he starred as a press agent dying of cancer, and in Missing (1982), he played an anguished father searching for his politically radical son who disappeared in Chile during the 1973 coup. In 1986, the U.S. National Board of Review of Motion Pictures gave him a "Career Achievement" award and two years later, the AFI gave him its Lifetime Achievement Award. He won an Emmy in his final TV role as a serenely wide dying profession, Tuesdays with Morrie (1999), a fitting end to a stellar career.

11. Paul Newman (1925-2008)
Points: 351.52Votes: 9Biggest Fans: babydoll (#7), bootsy (#9) and Dexter (#9)
Bio: Newman came to be known as one of the finest actors of his time. His first two films bombed, however, his third, Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956) garnered much attention and acclaim for his role as Rocky Graziano. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) was his first true hit and earned him his first Oscar nomination. The true depths of his acting abilities was fully explored in 1961's The Hustler, in which he essayed one of his most memorable performances as pool shark "Fast" Eddie Felson, gaining a second Oscar nomination. His third nod came for 1963's Hud, which cast him as an amoral Texas rancher. For 1967's Cool Hand Luke, perhaps his best remembered performance for his titular role- a prisoner in a Florida prison camp who refuses to submit to the system- scored a fourth Oscar nomination, but again went home empty-handed. He is also known for teaming with Robert Redford in the highly successful films Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) and The Sting (1973). A string of disappointments followed, but the 80's proved fruitful as he notched his nominations for Absence of Malice (1981) and The Verdict (1982). He finally won an Oscar for reprising the role of Eddie Felson in 1986's The Color of Money, a year after receiving an Honorary Oscar for his "many and memorable and compelling screen performances." Approaching his seventies, he continued to delight audiences and critics with more character-driven roles. He played an aging, but crafty rascal who struggles with renewing a relationship with his estranged son in Nobody's Fool (1994) and played a crime boss in Road to Perdition (2002). Both roles brought him another Oscar nominations. He earned an Emmy for his nuanced depiction of a lay-about father in the TV miniseries Empire Falls (2005).

... the cream of the crop is up next, let the guessing game begin.
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Anastasia was released in 1956. However, I am a bit surprised and pleased that Ingrid Bergman ended up being this high. I honestly expected Katharine Hepburn, Meryl Streep and Bette Davis to rank higher than her.

And Paul Newman died in 2008.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

What a sequence!
Superpan
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Superpan »

Oh boy, 3 of my top 6 made it to the top 20! That's where Hepburn and Day-Lewis went, knew they would be here someplace. Nurtured a hope that Jack Lemmon would make the top ten, but 12 is just as good for someone who never was a public giant. As for Jimmy and Cary though...

Gene Hackman - The definitive "balding but not quite there yet" star of the silver screen, Hackman was one of many solid character actors who became stars in the 1970s. While not as flashy as say a Dustin Hoffman, I always find his work solid even if he'll always be a somewhat campy and not too accurate Lex Luthor in my eyes. We'll always have Otisburg. Number of Films I've Seen: 6 Favorite Film: Superman

Kevin Spacey - Wow, two Lex Luthors in a row! If any working actor defines the craft of "acting" today, it's this man. Often typecast as a villain, he has a full range ranging from comedy to pathetic twerp all inevitably tinged with a smarmy menace that makes you unable to take his eyes off him. Not only that, he can do a mean Johnny Carson to boot. Number of Films I've Seen: 9 (plus two HBO movies and I'm definitely going to see Baby Driver) Favorite Film: L.A. Confidential

Sidney Poitier - Could a man ask for a more important and yet deceptively limited career? The great strides Poitier made as an icon and as a positive role model in the 1960s came at by his own admission the cost of complex characterizations and films that challenged more than American social mores of the day. Because of this, I can't say I've seen more than bits of Guess Who's Coming To Dinner and In The Heat of the Night. His career is a blindspot I hope to rectify soon.

Elizabeth Taylor - A child star who endured into becoming a starlet and eventually took a stab at legitimate acting. While quite good in her roles, I can't help but feel her off-screen stardom overshadows my appreciation of her acting talents. This might be because the peak of her career was when Hollywood was doing "important pictures" that were over-long and had their characters screaming important themes. This is where I interject that her Cleopatra may be the longest single film released theatrically by a Hollywood studio at 4 hours and 8 minutes. Yet she's quite charming in her work in the early fifties and earlier. Number of Films I've Seen: 8 Favorite Film: Ivanhoe

Gregory Peck - Everybody's dad. He's immortal as Atticus Finch, though I'll admit it's a type he never really shook for me in his other performances. He was a consummate professional with a quiet reserve and a certain gravitas. A decent guy who I'll admit to not having much to say about. Number of Films I've Seen: 4 Favorite Film: To Kill A Mockingbird

Harrison Ford - Around the time I got really into Star Wars was when my grandma declared this guy her favorite movie star. Because of this, I've had quite the exposure to his work. Few men are as naturally cinematic as Ford, a Bogart/Cagney type who can play an Errol Flynn swashbuckler or Clark Gable ladykiller. He's usually playing a variation on the "Harrison Ford" type, but that's a legendary type to play. Number of Films I've Seen: 20 Favorite Film: Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Clint Eastwood - The rugged actor/auteur with over 60 years of experience under his belt, I've more read about his work than seen it. I've seen most of A Fistful of Dollars and it was good, but The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly remains perhaps the biggest classic I haven't seen and Unforgiven is one I intend to watch soon. The internet tells me he was in the Casper movie, but I don't remember. Honestly, it's his offscreen conduct that has somewhat affected my viewing choices as well as the fact that the less said about American Sniper, the better.

Leonardo DiCaprio - In some respects the male Elizabeth Taylor in that he parlayed a child star career and a reputation for his looks into being a respected actor. However, Leo has one thing Liz didn't: consistent work with Martin Scorsese, one of the greatest working directors. Under the direction of him and other directors such as Baz Luhrmann, Leo has grown a go-for-broke acting style that is perhaps at its most powerful when he's playing over-the-top versions of himself such as in The Wolf of Wall Street. Number of Films I've Seen: 9 Favorite Film: The Great Gatsby

Toshirō Mifune - Kurosawa's boldest actor. While many of the Kurosawa's films he's starred in are overlong and perhaps invite ridiculousness at points, his by turn animal or sage presence is the highlight of them all. I honestly think with a less committed performer in Seven Samurai, it would not be anywhere as much of a classic as it is today. Number of Films I've Seen: 4 Favorite Film: Seven Samurai

Cate Blanchett - Another person who grew on me during college and not just because I don't get her confused with Tilda Swinton. Her unconventional presence can go from the haughty realistic characters in films such as Blue Jasmine and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou to the almost ethereal presence of Galadriel and Carol. I can't stop rewatching the Thor: Ragnarok trailer almost solely because of her. Number of Films I've Seen: 11 Favorite Film: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Woody Allen - I don't know if it's a controversial point around here to point out that Allen only plays himself. Obviously, he's very funny in Love and Death but with a caveat. I think I already made my point with my Annie Hall post in that film's thread that Woody Allen is both a deeply personal filmmaker yet seems to tolerate his more egregious aspects as not being as bad as a neurotic. As his offscreen life gets more and more controversial, it is a bit hard to see this man not acknowledge that in his work., but it might be interesting here to note that in my favorite film of his, Hannah and Her Sisters, he's not as dominant at acting as in others. Number of Films I've Seen: 4 Favorite Film: Hannah and Her Sisters

Henry Fonda - Not to sound like a broken record but he's someone I've gotten into recently as well to the point that I'm watching Fort Apache right now! Much like his lifelong friend Jimmy Stewart, he personified the American Ideal of decency, democracy, and common sense. However, unlike Stewart's everyman roles, Fonda always seemed to end up inspiring awe on screen be it as a liberal Superman standing up for the right thing in a country that had forgotten its credo only to end up spurned and sometimes destroyed by the cynical crowd. Sometimes his dark side came out and when it did, it showed there's not much difference between confidence levels in heroes and villains. He was the only man who could be both The Best Man and The Wrong Man. Number of Films I've Seen: 14 Favorite Film: My Darling Clementine, though in ten years time it may very well be Fail-Safe if I can get past how disturbing it is.

Jeff Bridges - When he cast Bridges as Duane in The Last Picture Show, Bogdanovich said he wanted him because he could make what was an unlikable character on page charming. This seems to be the perfect description for a guy who can make anyone from a cloying car salesman to an Iron Monger to a pot-smoking bowling bum an affable, charming screen presence. He just abides. Number of Films I've Seen: 6 Favorite Film: Iron Man

Laurence Olivier - The definitive actor of the 20th Century. While we've already talked a lot about him and I've already put forth my opinion that perhaps his career-best work wasn't necessarily on film, it's hard not to get excited when you see his name in the credits. I've seen 2 of his earlier films where he plays brooding romantic leads (Wuthering Heights and Rebecca), 2 of his directorial efforts that felt somewhat stage bound (Henry V and The Prince and the Showgirl) and two late in life supporting roles that are quite fun (The Seven-Per-Cent Soulution and Clash of The Titans). As for my favorite of his roles, all I can say is RELEASE THE KRAKEN! Number of Films I've Seen: 6 Favorite Film: Clash of Titans

Bette Davis - While I had all but seen Dark Victory, I never really saw a Bette Davis film until my last film school class ended with the one-two punch Jezebel and All About Eve. Her filmography had been the perfect mix of repetitive, lack of major auteurs, and genres not to my taste for me to be able to ignore it. After watching those two films, it's clear that she was a talent, the winsomeness of her performance in Jezebel in particular standing out from the later grotesqueries and caricature that defined much of her later work. Number of Films I've Seen: 2-3 Favorite Film: All About Eve

Bryan Cranston - While a lot of people seem surprised by his ranking so high, I can't say I am...and i haven't even really watched Breaking Bad or Malcolm in the Middle! He's a high-profile example of someone who paid his dues working his way up from Power Rangers villains and Ted's boss on How I Met Your Mother to playing the leader of the Power Rangers and Dalton Trumbo. A class act who's always fun to watch. Number of Films I've Seen: 4 Favorite Film: Drive

Audrey Hepburn - The second most iconic female star after Marilyn Monroe? Perhaps. Her style and sensibility was unlike anybody else, a mixture between a fairy and ideal youth. This latter aspect was enhanced as she seemed to be always paired onscreen with every single aging star of Hollywood's Golden Age. But still she endures due to her aching vulnerability always on display. Number of Films I've Seen: 7 Favorite Film: Funny Face

Michael Caine - Oy guvnor, I'm Michael Caine! More than just the old angry cockney guy in Christopher Nolan films, he's also the young angry cockney guy in movies from the 60s and 70s. All kidding aside, he always brings a sense of upper class flair to lower class characters whether it be (boy is this movie coming up a lot) Hannah and Her Sisters, The Dark Knight, or The Man Who Would Be King Number of Films I've Seen: 10 Favorite Film: The Dark Knight

Nicole Kidman - One of the most beautiful stars in the last 30 years, Kidman radiates a regal cinematic simmer overtime she pops up on screen. The range behind the simmer can go from sultry to silly to deadly but no matter what role she's in, there's always an intriguing sense of wondering what's under that unflappably cool facade. It's the digging in to that which makes her such an interesting star, though I'm sure David Thomson has more thoughts on the matter. Number of Films I've Seen: 4 Favorite Film: Moulin Rouge!

Morgan Freeman - More than just that old guy with no cockney accent in all those Christopher Nolan movies, Freeman was once that young guy with no cockney accent in the Electric Company! I kid, I kid, but it's safe to say that Morgan Freeman is always playing the "Morgan Freeman" type. Of course, when that type is the only definitive choice to pick for God or Nelson Mandela, it's not such a bad type to have. Number of Films I've Seen: 10 Favorite Film: The Dark Knight

Also, while I'm typing up a post, the top ten ladies of the list are:

1. Ingrid Bergman
2. Katharine Hepburn
3. Meryl Streep
4. Julianne Moore
5. Nicole Kidman
6. Audrey Hepburn
7. Bette Davis
8. Cate Blanchett
9. Elizabeth Taylor
10. Catherine Deneuve
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Good for Ingrid Bergman. In her early Swedish movies she was already a ray of sunshine. Then she appeared in some Hollywood classics, and worked with some of the greatest directors. She could be the impenetrable Hitchcock blonde or the complex Ingmar Bergman character.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I'm pretty satisfied with the top 10 actresses, nice mix of the old and the current.

I'll reveal numbers 10 to 3 one by one for the rest of the day and reveal the top 2 the following day.

10. Tom Hanks (1956-)
Points: 405.22Votes: 8Biggest Fans: prosecutorgodot (#2), Bruno (#6), Miguel (#7), Midaso (#9), and bootsy (#10)
Bio: One of the most beloved stars in contemporary cinema, Hanks first starred in the TV sitcom Bosom Buddies (1980-82) but became far more known when he starred in Splash (1984) where viewers were drawn to his amiable, laid-back style and keen sense of comic timing. A string of mostly unsuccessful comedies followed before Big (1988), in which he gave a delightful performance as a child in a grown man's body, earning him his first Oscar nomination. 1990's Bonfire of the Vanities bombed but in 1992, his star again rose when he played the outwardly disgusting, inwardly warm-hearted coach in A League of Their Own. This led to a co-starring role with Meg Ryan in Nora Ephron's hit 1993 rom-com Sleepless in Seattle (they would again reunite in 1998's You've Got Mail). He won an Oscar for a dramatic role when he played a tormented AIDS-afflicted homosexual lawyer in the drama Philadelphia (1993). He lost 35 pounds and thinned his hair but it was his deeply felt, carefully nuanced performance that resonated with the critics. He won again the next year for his convincing portrait of the slow-witted but phenomenally lucky Forrest Gump. His success continued with the smash space epic Apollo 13 and voicing Sheriff Woody in Toy Story (and its sequels) in 1995. In 1998, was nominated again for an Oscar in Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan (1998). He again underwent a striking physical transformation, to play shipwrecked FedEx systems engineer who learns the virtues of wasted time in Cast Away (2000), earned him yet another well-deserved Oscar nomination. The new millennium had him team up again with Spielberg in Catch Me If You Can (2002), The Terminal (2004), and Bridge of Spies (2015). Other notable roles include Road to Perdition (2002), The Da Vinci Code (2006) and its sequels, Charlie Wilson's War (2007), Captain Phillips, Saving Mr. Banks(both in 2013), and Sully (2016).
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

9. Cary Grant (1904-1986)
Points: 413.74Votes: 7Biggest Fans: Miguel (#1), Superpan (#2), bonnielaurel (#5), and babydoll (#5)
Bio: Sometimes referred to as the "epitome of elegance," Grant exuded style, charm and sophistication. The former acrobat, born Archie Leach, was likewise known for his transatlantic accent, debonair demeanor, and light-hearted approach to acting and sense of comic timing. After a series of nondescript roles, he was selected by Mae West to be her leading man in She Done Him Wrong (1933) and I'm No Angel(1934). A bit stiff-necked but undeniably sexy, he vaulted to stardom, though Paramount continued wasting his potential in second rate films. Free from his Paramount obligations in 1935, he vowed never to be bound again and signed contracts allowing him to choose any "outside" role. Sylvia Scarlett (1936) was the first film to fully demonstrate his inspired comic flair, which would be utilized to the utmost in such knee-slappers as Topper, The Awful Truth (both in 1937), Bringing Up Baby (1938), His Girl Friday (1939), and The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer (1947), and I Was a Male War Bride (1949); (Only 1941's Arsenic and Old Lace did he overplay his hand and lapse into mugging). He was also accomplished at straight drama, as evidenced in Only Angels Have Wings (1939), Destination Tokyo (1942), and Crisis (1950). Most of his co-workers liked working with him, one of whom was director Alfred Hitchcock, who cast the actor in Suspicion (1941), Notorious (1946), To Catch a Thief (1955), and most notably the quintessential Hitchcock thriller North by Northwest (1959). Although he was twice nominated for an Oscar, for his portrayal of a star-crossed newspaperman in 1941's Penny Serenade and three years later for his impersonation of a London street tough in None but the Lonely Heart, considered to be his finest dramatic role, it was not until 1970, after his career was over (1966's Walk Don't Run was his last film but 1963's Charade, which gently poked fun at romantic thrillers, was his last lauded film), that he received a special Oscar "for his unique mastery of the art of film acting."
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

8. Humphrey Bogart (1899-1957)
Points: 428.80Votes: 9Biggest Fans: StevieFan (#3), bonnielaurel (#3), Miguel (#4), and BleuPanda (#7)
Bio: Bogart's inimitable onscreen persona -hard-bitten, cynical, and enigmatic- continues to cast a shadow in modern cinema. Sensitive yet masculine, cavalier yet heroic, his ambiguities and contradictions combined to create a larger-than-life image which remains the archetype of the contemporary antihero. His first great success was in The Petrified Forest (1936), and this led to a period of typecasting as a gangster with films such as Angels with Dirty Faces (1938). The 1939 tearjerker Dark Victory was a break out and he delivered a strong performance indicative of his true range and depth as a performer. In 1941 came his acclaimed performance in High Sierra and as as gumshoe Sam Spade in John Huston's The Maltese Falcon, he enjoyed one of his most legendary roles, achieving true stardom and establishing the archetype for all hardboiled heroes to follow. A year later his on-screen magic with Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca garnering him his first Oscar nomination. He was paired with Lauren Bacall in 1944's To Have and Have Not. Their onscreen chemistry was electric and they later married. They paired again in the masterful film noir The Big Sleep (1946), Dark Passage (1947), and Key Largo (1948). He teamed up again with Huston in 1948's superb The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. In Huston, he found a director sympathetic to his tough-as-nails persona who was also capable of subverting that image. He often cast the actor against type, to stunning effect; under Huston's sure hand, he won his lone Oscar in 1951's The African Queen. His other pivotal director of the period was Nicholas Ray, who helmed 1949's Knock on Any Door and 1950's brilliant In a Lonely Place. After reuniting with Huston in 1953's Beat the Devil, Bogart mounted three wildly different back-to-back 1954 efforts -the tearful The Barefoot Contessa, the romantic comedy Sabrina, and the historical drama The Caine Mutiny- which revealed new, unseen dimensions to his talents and earning him an Oscar nomination for the latter film. His subsequent work was similarly diffuse, ranging in tone from the grim thriller The Desperate Hours to the comedy We're No Angels (both 1955). His last film was the 1956 boxing drama The Harder They Fall and his acclaim has grown enormously since his passing a year later. During the '60s, his films became the objects of superlative critical praise and his personality the object of cultish adulation. He remains timelessly cool in a way few celebrities have ever been able to achieve. In 1997, Entertainment Weekly named him "the number one movie legend of all time" and in 1999, the AFI ranked him the greatest male movie star of all time.

...be back later
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superpan
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Superpan »

Wow, Grant and Bogie in the bottom half of the top ten? Excited to see who could top them...though I know the identity of one...
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

7. Charles "Charlie" Chaplin (1889-1977)
Points: 439.08Votes: 8Biggest Fans: Petri (#2), Miguel (#5), babydoll (#6), bonnielaurel (#7), and Bruno (#7)
Bio: The first great screen comedian, Chaplin was also one of the most gifted directors in history (second only to D.W. Griffith of the silent film era), in addition to being a formidable talent as a writer and composer. He worked with a children's dance troupe before making his mark on the big screen. In 1914, he made his film debut in a forgettable one-reeler. To differentiate himself from others, he decided to play a single identifiable character in his next film and "The Tramp", the sweet little man with a bowler hat, mustache, and cane, was born. Over the next year, he appeared in 35 films. By 1918, he was one of the best-known figures in the world and the following year he co-founded the distribution company United Artists, which gave him complete control over his films. His first feature-length was The Kid (1921), followed by A Woman of Paris (1923), The Gold Rush (1925), and The Circus (1928). Gold Rush contains some of his most famous sequences, such as the Tramp eating his shoe and the "Dance of the Rolls" while The Circus earned him a Best Actor nomination at the 1st Oscars. Although he lost, Chaplin was given a special trophy "For versatility and genius in acting, writing, directing and producing The Circus." He refused to move to talkies in the '30s, instead producing two of his greatest films, City Lights (1931) and Modern Times (1936), without dialogue (albeit with a musical score composed by Chaplin himself). City Lights was cited as his finest accomplishment, and its closing scene as "the greatest piece of acting and the highest moment in movies" at that time. Modern Times received mixed reviews but today is seen as his unrivalled peak as a creator of visual comedy. He became increasingly political, and his next film, The Great Dictator (1940), satirised Adolf Hitler and he was rewarded with another Oscar Best Actor nomination. The '40s were a decade marked with scandals (FBI investigations as to his alleged political/communist leanings, paternity suits, and marriages to young women), and his popularity declined and he even had to leave the U.S. His fall from may be the most dramatic in the history of stardom in America with his last films (wherein he abandoned the Tramp) being box-office failures. In 1972, as part of a renewed appreciation for his work, he received an Honorary Oscar for "the incalculable effect he has had in making motion pictures the art form of this century". He returned to the U.S. for the first time in 20 years and, at the Oscars gala, he was given a twelve-minute standing ovation, the longest in its history.
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

6. Dustin Hoffman (1937-)
Points: 468.66Votes: 11Biggest Fans: acroamor (#1), Midaso (#4), bootsy (#6), and Bruno (#8)
Bio: The emergence of Hoffman in 1967 heralded the arrival of a new era of Hollywood stardom. Diminutive, wiry and unassuming, he was anything but the usual star, yet he distinguished himself among the most popular and celebrated actors of his generation. A notoriously difficult talent famous for his battles with directors as well as his total immersion in his performances, he further battled against stereotypes by accepting roles which cast him firmly as an antihero, often portraying troubled, even tragic figures rarely destined for a happy ending. By extension, he broke new ground for all actors -not only were stars no longer limited to heroic, larger-than-life characterizations, but in his wake virtually anyone, regardless of their seeming physical limitations, could attain success on the big screen. Though 30 at the time of filming of his breakthrough film The Graduate (1967), Hoffman was perfectly cast as an alienated college student, and his work earned him not only an Oscar nomination but also made him a hugely popular performer with the youth market. His status as a burgeoning counterculture hero was solidified thanks to his work in Midnight Cowboy (1969), which earned him a second Oscar bid for the role of a NYC homeless man. 1969's John and Mary received mixed reviews but his performance was widely praised. He was on a roll in the '70s, starring in several acclaimed movies such as Little Big Man (1970), Straw Dogs (1971), Papillon (1973), Lenny (1974), Marathon Man (1976), and All the President's Men (1976), garnering an Oscar nomination for playing the titular stand-up comedian in Lenny. He finally won an Oscar for his portrayal of a divorced father in Kramer vs. Kramer (1979). In 1982, playing yet another antihero, he starred in Tootsie as a down-and-out actor who must dress up as a woman to get a part on a daytime soap opera, earning another Oscar nomination. Following a brief return to the stag, he starred in Rain Man (1988) and his portrayal of an autistic genius earned him a second Oscar and remains one of his most iconic performances. The '90s brought appearances in a series of big-budget movies with mixed results. His next critically acclaimed role wouldn't come around until 1997 with the political satire Wag the Dog. Playing an unscrupulous Hollywood executive out to fool the public into thinking the country was at war, he scored yet another Oscar nomination. In 1999, Hoffman received the AFI Life Achievement Award and still continues to act (and lend his voice) in films well into the 2010's.
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

5. Al Pacino (1940-)
Points: 535.26Votes: 10Biggest Fans: BleuPanda (#2), Bruno (#2), Midaso (#3), and bonnielaurel (#9)
Bio: Brooding and intense, Pacino has remained one of Hollywood's premier actors throughout his lengthy career, a popular and critical favorite whose list of credits includes many of the finest films of his era. He shot to stardom as Michael Corleone, the son of an infamous crime lord reluctantly thrust into the family business, in The Godfather (1972). His soulful performance earned him his first Oscar nomination (for supporting actor) and would reprise the role and awarded with another Oscar nomination in The Godfather Part II (1974). His performance as Michael Corleone is now regarded as one of the greatest screen performances in film history. In between films, he received his first Best Actor Oscar nomination for Serpico (1973), playing the titular policeman who went undercover to expose the corruption of fellow officers. In 1975, he enjoyed further success and another Oscar nomination with Dog Day Afternoon, playing the unusual role of John Wojtowicz, who attempted to rob a bank to pay for his boyfriend's sex change. The courtroom drama ...And Justice for All (1978), again saw him lauded by critics and nominated for an Oscar for a fourth time. For most of the '80s his career slumped; however, 1983's Scarface, though moderately successful, proved to be a career highlight and a defining role as the crazed drug dealer Tony Montana. In 1989, he finally had a hit again with the stylish thriller Sea of Love. A virtually unrecognizable turn as a garish gangster in 1990's Dick Tracy and his role in the highly regarded Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) earned him more Oscar nominations. In a Scent of a Woman (1992), he at last earned an Oscar by playing a blind man. Other notable roles include Frankie and Johnny (1991), Carlito's Way (1993), Heat (1995), Donnie Brasco (1997), The Devil's Advocate (1997), Any Given Sunday (1999), The Insider (1999) and Insomnia (2002). In TV, he has acted in HBO miniseries Angels in America (2003) and the biopic You Don't Know Jack (2010), both of which earned him Emmy Awards.
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

4. James "Jimmy" Stewart (1908-1997)
Points: 555.74Votes: 11Biggest Fans: bonnielaurel (#1), Superpan (#1), babydoll (#4), and Miguel (#10)
Bio: Stewart was the quintessential Everyman, an actor who parlayed his easygoing persona into one of the most successful and enduring careers in film history. On paper, he was anything but the typical Hollywood star: Gawky and tentative, with a pronounced stammer and a folksy "aw-shucks" charm, he lacked the dashing sophistication and swashbuckling heroism endemic among the other stars. Yet it's precisely the absence of affectation which made him so popular; while others seemed remote and larger than life, he never lost touch with his humanity, projecting an uncommon sense of goodness and decency which made him immensely likable and endearing to successive generations of moviegoers. He made his film debut in 1935 after signing a contract with MGM. He was then loaned to Columbia for two Frank Capra classics that proved pivotal in his career, You Can't Take It With You (1938) and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939). The latter was his breakthrough; a hugely popular modern morality play set against the backdrop of the Washington political system, it cemented the all-American persona which made him so adored by fans, earning him his first Oscar nomination. He then embarked on a string of successes; the first was the idiosyncratic 1939 western Destry Rides Again, followed by the 1940 rom-com The Shop Around the Corner. He starred opposite Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant in the sublime The Philadelphia Story (1940). His performance as an intrusive, fast-talking reporter earned him his only Oscar in a competitive category. However, Stewart soon entered duty in WWII, serving as a bomber pilot and highly decorated for flying 20 missions over Germany. The war left him a changed man; while remaining as genial and likable as ever, he began to explore new, more complex facets of his acting abilities, accepting roles in darker and more thought-provoking films. The first was Capra's 1946 perennial It's a Wonderful Life, which cast him as a suicidal banker who learns the true value of life. This remains arguably his best-known and most-beloved performance, earning him an Oscar nomination. After completing another Oscar-nominated turn as a drunk in the comedy Harvey (1950), he appeared in the Anthony Mann's Winchester '73 (1950) and Delmer Dave's Broken Arrow (1950), both westerns. He also became a favorite of director Alfred Hitchcock, who cast him in the thrillers Rope (1948), Rear Window (1954), The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), and Vertigo (1958). The latter is considered by many to be Hitchcock's masterpiece and one of Stewart's best performances. The following year, he also won rave reviews for his work in Anatomy of a Murder. In his later years, he was a recipient of numerous tributes; in 1984, he picked up an honorary Oscar "for his high ideals both on and off the screen."
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

3. Marlon Brando (1924-2004) Image
Points: 626.94Votes: 11Biggest Fans: Michel (#1), BleuPanda (#3), bootsy (#3), Bruno (#3), and Dexter (#5)
Bio: Brando was quite simply one of the most celebrated and influential screen and stage actors of the postwar era; he rewrote the rules of performing, and nothing was ever the same again. Brooding, lusty, and intense, his greatest contribution was popularizing Method acting, a highly interpretive performance style which brought unforeseen dimensions of power and depth to the craft; in comparison, most other screen icons appeared shallow, even a little silly. A combative and often contradictory man, he refused to play by the rules of the Hollywood game, openly expressing his loathing for the film industry and for the very nature of celebrity, yet later exploiting his fame by accepting any role offered him as long as the price was right. He is one of the screen's greatest enigmas, and there will never be another quite like him. He gained film acclaim and an Academy Award nomination for reprising his Broadway star-making role of Stanley Kowalski in 1951's A Streetcar Named Desire. He stunned filmgoers and critics who did not saw him on Broadway with his performance of remarkable honesty, sexuality, and intensity. He delivered perhaps his definitive screen performance and winning a well-deserved Oscar, as the washed-up boxer Terry Malloy in On the Waterfront, and his portrayal of the rebel motorcycle gang leader Johnny Strabler in The Wild One proved to be a lasting image in popular culture. He also received Oscar nominations for playing Emiliano Zapata in Viva Zapata!; Mark Antony in the 1953 film adaptation of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar; and Air Force Major Lloyd Gruver in Sayonara (1957). During the '60s, however, his career had more downs than ups, especially well-documented was the disastrous 1962 remake of Mutiny on the Bounty; he was criticized for his on-set tantrums and for trying to alter the script. Off the set, he had numerous affairs, ate too much, and distanced himself from the cast and crew. His career was reborn in 1972 with his depiction of Mafia boss Don Corleone in The Godfather, a brilliant portrayal (and reportedly good on-set behavior) for which he won another Oscar (which he turned down). He proceeded the following year to the both controversial and acclaimed Last Tango in Paris, for which he bagged another Oscar nomination (this legacy is marred by the director's recent claim that the notorious "butter" scene was not consensual). Since then, he has received huge salaries for playing small but still memorable parts in such movies as Superman (1978) and Apocalypse Now (1979). Nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for A Dry White Season in 1989, Brando also appeared in the comedy The Freshman (1990), scored enthusiastic reviews for his caricature of his Vito Corleone role in the film.
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

The last two spots will be revealed tomorrow. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the two remaining actors on the list. It was a back and forth battle for the top spot during the last days of voting, so in my mind, they're both the definitive film/TV actors of this forum.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Delmer Daves directed Broken Arrow, not Anthony Mann.

And I say Jack Nicholson is runner-up with Robert De Niro being crowned supreme. Dear Lord, I have gotta watch Taxi Driver and Raging Bull one of these days.
Superpan
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Superpan »

Oh yeah, I was trying to wonder who we had missed but yeah those two haven't been spotted yet.

Raging Bull is one of Scorsese's weaker films for me which means it's still really good. Taxi Driver though was a truly disturbing experience to watch and one of those masterpieces which succeeds because in part because it shows a real-life monster without any comeuppance.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I didn't think of Nicholson's absence until now. If he did make it this high, it'd be a nice surprise.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Good description of James Stewart as the Everyman. I voted for 51 actors in the top 100. Barring a major surprise these are the highest people in my list who didn't make it:

12. Michelle Pfeiffer
14. Mia Farrow
17. Laurel & Hardy
23. Louis de Funès
27. Robert Redford
Superpan
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Superpan »

Without spoiling my ballot, I was actually surprised at how high Michelle Pfeiffer ranked on my list. She really has an incredibly large range to play drama and comedy in addition to her still stunning looks. I hope Murder on the Orient Express proves a good showcase for her and the rest of that incredibly over-powered cast.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

bonnielaurel wrote:23. Louis de Funès
I know Louis de Funès is an icon, but I have never ever heard the title of any one of his movies. Can you recommend some? I would certainly like to see some of his work.

And these are mine of my meager 30:
09 | Setsuko Hara
12 | Jeanne Moreau
24 | Vivien Leigh
29 | Lillian Gish
30 | Anna Karina

bonnielaurel, out of your list, I would have definitely voted for Michelle Pfeiffer and maybe Robert Redford.

The TV stars that I didn't know I could vote for and, let's face it, I would have if I expanded my list to 100 would include Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, Bea Arthur, Betty White, Carroll O'Connor, Jean Stapleton, Alan Alda, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Sarah Michelle Gellar, James Garner, Jennifer Aniston, John Ritter, Kiefer Sutherland, James Gandolfini, Lucille Ball, Alec Baldwin, Kelsey Grammer, Bill Cosby (you gotta admit he's a good actor if he successfully managed to make America love him for 40+ years), and John Goodman (I don't think I've seen any of his movies).
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

babydoll wrote:
bonnielaurel wrote:23. Louis de Funès
I know Louis de Funès is an icon, but I have never ever heard the title of any one of his movies. Can you recommend some? I would certainly like to see some of his work.

And these are mine of my meager 30:
09 | Setsuko Hara
12 | Jeanne Moreau
24 | Vivien Leigh
29 | Lillian Gish
30 | Anna Karina

bonnielaurel, out of your list, I would have definitely voted for Michelle Pfeiffer and maybe Robert Redford.

The TV stars that I didn't know I could vote for and, let's face it, I would have if I expanded my list to 100 would include Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, Bea Arthur, Betty White, Carroll O'Connor, Jean Stapleton, Alan Alda, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Sarah Michelle Gellar, James Garner, Jennifer Aniston, John Ritter, Kiefer Sutherland, James Gandolfini, Lucille Ball, Alec Baldwin, Kelsey Grammer, Bill Cosby (you gotta admit he's a good actor if he successfully managed to make America love him for 40+ years), and John Goodman (I don't think I've seen any of his movies).
I had Vivien Leigh at #88. She could have been higher if it wasn't for her lack of quantity. Jeanne Moreau just fell off, but she's great too.

The few TV stars I included were those who also had a film career: John Cleese and Rowan Atkinson. In a TV poll I would also include Peter Falk, Bill Cosby and Horst Tappert - you have to judge them on their work.

Louis de Funès was a beloved comedian on the European mainland in the sixties and seventies, but hardly known overseas. He often played the hyperactive man with fits of anger and funny faces. His film career only really took off after his 50th. La Grande Vadrouille (1966) is probably his best film, but the series of six films starting with Le Gendarme de St. Tropez was also popular. After suffering a heart attack he came back to play Molière's L'Avare (The Miser) in 1980.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Thanks babydoll re: Broken Arrow

2. Robert De Niro (1943-) Image
Points: 727.60Votes: 12Biggest Fans: BleuPanda (#1), bootsy (#1), Bruno (#1), Midaso (#2), Michel (#9), and Dexter (#10)
Bio: Considered one of the best actors of his generation, Robert De Niro built a durable star career out of his formidable ability to disappear into a character. He first gained popular attention with his role as a dying Major League Baseball player in Bang the Drum Slowly (1973) and began his collaboration with Martin Scorsese when he played the small-time criminal Johnny Boy in Mean Streets (1973). Both films made waves with critics and caught the attention of Francis Ford Coppola who then casted him in the pivotal role of the young Vito Corleone in The Godfather Part II (1974). Closely studying Marlon Brando earlier performance as Don Corleone, and perfecting his accent for speaking his lines in subtitled Sicilian, he was so effective as the lethally ambitious and lovingly paternal Corleone that he took home an Oscar for the role. Two years later, he teamed up again with Scorcese in Taxi Driver (1976), delivering the most chilling performance of his career. After working for two weeks as a Manhattan cabbie and losing weight, he transformed himself into disturbed "God's lonely man" Travis Bickle, an iconic role forever linked his name with the famous "You talkin' to me?" monologue. This role earned him his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor. The duo's next project, the musical New York, New York (1977) flopped but De Niro quickly recovered with an Oscar nominated performance in Michael Cimino's The Deer Hunter (1978), starring as one of three Pennsylvania steel-town friends thrown into Vietnam War's inferno who emerged as profoundly changed men. Returning to the realm of more personal violence. His other notable roles in the '70s are 1900 (1976) and The Last Tycoon (1976). He followed the '70s with his and Scorsese's masterpiece, Raging Bull (1980), a tragic portrait of boxer Jake La Motta. Along with his notorious 60-pound weight gain that rendered him unrecognizable as the middle-aged Jake, De Niro also trained so intensely for the outstanding fight scenes that La Motta himself stated that De Niro could have boxed professionally. Along with his physical dedication, he won over critics with his ability to humanize La Motta without softening him. His performance earned him his second Oscar. Their next collaboaration was in The King of Comedy (1983), with him giving an underrated performance as an aspiring standup comedian. He then played a Jewish mobster in the epic Once Upon a Time in America (1984). His other notable projects for the '80s included sci-fi art film Brazil (1985), the historically inspired The Mission (1986), and the crime drama The Untouchables (1987), in which he memorably portrayed the rotund, charismatic, bat-wielding Al Capone opposite Kevin Costner's Eliot Ness, and as a bounty hunter in the action comedy Midnight Run (1988). He opened the '90s with Scorcese's GoodFellas, playing a cruelly duplicitous Irish mobster opposite Ray Liotta's turncoat. He next starred in a project that earned him another Oscar nomination, portraying a catatonic patient brought back to awareness in Awakenings (1990). Soon afterwards, the actor was once again front and center and reunited with Scorsese in a terrifying way, bulking up to become a tattooed rapist who stalks a family in the 1991 remake of Cape Fear, earning him his sixth Oscar nomination. 1995 saw another Scorsese pairing, starring as Vegas kingpin Sam Rothstein in Casino (1995). Michael Mann's Heat followed that same year, which offered the then rare spectacle of him and Al Pacino sharing the screen, if only in two scenes. He was front and center, and knee deep in self-parody, in the comedy Analyze This (1999). He would continue to lampoon his own tough-guy image in the sequel as well as the Meet the Parents franchise. As the new millenium wore on, he took on roles that failed to live up to his acclaimed earlier work, with one of the notable exceptions being 2012's Silver Linings Playbook which earned him another Oscar nomination. In 2016, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Obama for his contribution to the arts.

1. Jack Nicholson (1937-)
Points: 751.16Votes: 11Biggest Fans: Midaso (#1), bootsy (#2), Petri (#3), Michel (#3), Bruno (#4), Dexter (#4), BleuPanda (#5) and acroamor (#6)
Bio: With his devil-may-care attitude and potent charisma, Nicholson emerged as the most popular and celebrated actor of his generation. A classic anti-hero, he typified the new breed of Hollywood star -rebellious, contentious and defiantly non-conformist. A supremely versatile talent, he uniquely defined the zeitgeist of the '70s, a decade which his screen presence dominated virtually from start to finish, and remained an enduring counterculture icon for the duration of his long and renowned career. After appearing in mostly low-budget films, his breakthrough came as an ill-fated, alcoholic lawyer in the counterculture epic Easy Rider (1969), earning him an Oscar nomination. Another Oscar nod came in 1970, when he starred in Five Easy Pieces, playing a disaffected former musical prodigy. The film's notorious diner scene remains among the definitive moments in American cinematic history. His next stellar performance was as a profane U.S. Navy petty officer in the The Last Detail (1973), once again landing him an Oscar nomination. The next year, he turned in one of the most acclaimed performances of his career in 1974's Chinatown. He portrayed a private eye tasked with tracking down a murder in perhaps his most nuanced and complex role. The part earned him his fourth Oscar nomination. He finally broke through with his first Oscar win in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975). He played an anti-authoritarian patient at a mental hospital where he becomes an inspiring leader for the other patients. In 1980, he played a now iconic role as an eerie, maniacal if perhaps over-the-top performance as a deranged hotel caretaker in the The Shining. He also had memorable turns in Carnal Knowledge (1971) and The Passenger (1975). Throughout the '80s, he largely moved away from the subtle, understated roles that had earned him such acclaim in favor of more outlandish comic performances. He nevertheless delivered several brilliant Oscar nominated performances during the decade: playing Eugene O'Neill with quiet intensity in Reds (1981), playing a retired astronaut in Terms of Endearment (1983) with such complexity that he won an Oscar for the role, playing a hitman in Prizzi's Honor (1985), and as a drunk in Ironweed (1987). Other notable 80's roles include The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981), The Witches of Eastwick (1987), Broadcast News (1987), and as the Joker in Batman (1989) The '90s brought stirring performances in such films as his Oscar nominated performance as a base commander Colonel in A Few Good Men (1992), and As Good As It Gets (1997), for which he won a third Oscar for his portrayal of a wickedly funny, mean-spirited, obsessive-compulsive novelist. He continued to earn acclaim for such films as About Schmidt (2002), his quietly restrained performance, as a retired actuary who questions his own life, bagged him another Oscar nomination, Anger Management (2003), Something's Gotta Give (2003) and The Departed (2006) and the Bucket List (2007). His last film role to date was in 2010's How Do You Know. It had been widely reported in subsequent years that Nicholson had retired from acting because of memory loss; however, in February 2017, it was reported that he would be starring in an English-language remake of Toni Erdmann. No matter what the future brings, his status as one of, if not, the greatest actors of all time is secured.

To be fair to Robert De Niro, he had 3 #1 votes (and more votes than Jack). Thank you so much to those who participated and hopefully we'll get to revisit this in a couple of years.
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Here are the voters and their votes:

1. Robin Williams
2. Bryan Cranston
3. Humphrey Bogart
4. Sidney Poitier
5. Gregory Peck
6. Emma Stone
7. Samuel L. Jackson
8. Meryl Streep
9. Danny DeVito
10. Alan Rickman
11. Steve Carell
12. Gilda Radner
13. John Belushi
14. Gene Wilder
15. Jimmy Stewart
16. Jack Nicholson
17. Kristen Wiig
18. Anne Hathaway
19. Kristen Bell
20. Ryan Reynolds
21. Morgan Freeman
22. Jack Lemmon
23. Zero Mostel
24. Julianne Moore
25. John Goodman
26. Viola Davis
27. Octavia Spencer
28. Louis C.K.
29. Eddie Murphy
30. Audra McDonald

1. James Stewart
2. Ingrid Bergman
3. Humphrey Bogart
4. Scarlett Johansson
5. Cary Grant
6. Audrey Hepburn
7. Charlie Chaplin
8. Nicole Kidman
9. Al Pacino
10. Marilyn Monroe
11. Robert De Niro
12. Michelle Pfeiffer
13. Gérard Depardieu
14. Mia Farrow
15. Woody Allen
16. Shirley MacLaine
17. Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy
18. Jodie Foster
19. Jack Lemmon
20. Bette Davis
21. Fred Astaire
22. Ginger Rogers
23. Louis de Funès
24. Elizabeth Taylor
25. Sean Connery
26. Catherine Deneuve
27. Robert Redford
28. Jane Fonda
29. Anthony Hopkins
30. Deborah Kerr
31. Clark Gable
32. Diane Keaton
33. Marcello Mastroianni
34. Natalie Portman
35. Dustin Hoffmann
36. Emmanuelle Béart
37. Jack Nicholson
38. Winona Ryder
39. Paul Newman
40. Bibi Andersson
41. Gregory Peck
42. Hanna Schygulla
43. Marlon Brando
44. Gwyneth Paltrow
45. Max von Sydow
46. Isabelle Adjani
47. Michael Caine
48. Faye Dunaway
49. Burt Lancaster
50. Sophia Loren
51. Alec Guinness
52. Greta Garbo
53. The Marx Brothers
54. Grace Kelly
55. William Holden
56. Lana Turner
57. Kirk Douglas
58. Goldie Hawn
59. Tom Hanks
60. Natalie Wood
61. John Cleese
62. Olivia de Havilland
63. Colin Firth
64. Penélope Cruz
65. David Niven
66. Kati Outinen
67. Joseph Cotten
68. Gong Li
69. Mads Mikkelsen
70. Giulietta Masina
71. Laurence Olivier
72. Marlene Dietrich
73. Gene Hackman
74. Isabelle Huppert
75. Sidney Poitier
76. Mary Pickford
77. Klaus Maria Brandauer
78. Pam Grier
79. Rowan Atkinson
80. Julia Roberts
81. Donald Sutherland
82. Jennifer Lawrence
83. Henry Fonda
84. Kim Novak
85. James Mason
86. Victoria Abril
87. John Travolta
88. Vivien Leigh
89. Peter Sellers
90. Whoopi Goldberg
91. Morgan Freeman
92. Gena Rowlands
93. Fernandel
94. Alicia Vikander
95. Tony Chiu-Wai Leung
96. Zhang Ziyi
97. Jan Decleir
98. Monica Vitti
99. Montgomery Clift
100. Emily Blunt

1. Robert De Niro
2. Al Pacino
3. Marlon Brando
4. Daniel Day-Lewis
5. Jack Nicholson
6. Edward Norton
7. Humphrey Bogart
8. Nicole Kidman
9. Liv Ullmann
10. Toshiro Mifune
11. Clint Eastwood
12. Philip Seymour Hoffman
13. James Stewart
14. Julianne Moore
15. Max von Sydow
16. Jennifer Lawrence
17. Charles Chaplin
18. John Wayne
19. Marlene Dietrich
20. Henry Fonda
21. Harrison Ford
22. George Clooney
23. Scarlett Johannson
24. Marcello Mastroianni
25. Buster Keaton
26. Cary Grant
27. Heath Ledger
28. Peter Sellers
29. Tilda Swinton
30. Leonardo DiCaprio
31. Juliette Binoche
32. Kevin Spacey
33. Natalie Portman
34. Brad Pitt
35. Ryan Gosling
36. Cate Blanchett
37. James Dean
38. Samuel L. Jackson
39. Anthony Hopkins
40. Morgan Freeman
41. Julie Andrews
42. Grace Kelly
43. Patrick Stewart
44. Bruce Willis
45. Orson Welles
46. Joaquin Phoenix
47. Steve Buscemi
48. Bibi Andersson
49. Peter Lorre
50. Sigourney Weaver
51. Alan Rickman
52. Joan Crawford
53. Gloria Swanson
54. John Travolta
55. Naomi Watts
56. Gary Oldman
57. Takashi Shimura
58. Mel Blanc
59. Ingrid Bergman
60. Meryl Streep
61. Robert Downey Jr.
62. Jim Carrey
63. William H. Macy
64. Emma Stone
65. John Goodman
66. Johnny Depp
67. Tom Cruise
68. Shelley Duvall
69. Uma Thurman
70. Hugh Jackman
71. John C. Reilly
72. Robin Williams
73. J.K. Simmons
74. Christian Bale
75. Gene Wilder
76. Kirk Douglas
77. James Cagney
78. Woody Allen
79. Jodie Foster
80. Dustin Hoffman
81. Bette Davis
82. Harvey Keitel
83. Jake Gyllenhaal
84. Tony Curtis
85. Sean Penn
86. Groucho Marx/The Marx Brothers
87. Robert Duvall
88. Katharine Hepburn
89. Nicholas Cage
90. Jean Gabin
91. Jeff Bridges
92. Denis Lavant
93. Frances McDormand
94. Renee Jeanne Falconetti
95. Mickey Rourke
96. Clark Gable
97. Kate Winslet
98. Michael Caine
99. Paul Giamatti
100. Takeshi Kitano

1. Jimmy Stewart
2. Cary Grant
3. Ginger Rogers
4. Fred Astaire
5. Jack Lemmon
6. Orson Welles
7. Paulette Goddard
8. Jean Dujardin
9. Catherine Deneuve
10. Mark Hamill
11. Joseph Cotten
12. Tim Curry
13. Ewan McGregor
14. Patrick Stewart
15. Myrna Loy
16. Will Ferrell
17. Greta Garbo
18. Willem Dafoe
19. Ella Raines
20. Ian McShane
21. Claude Rains
22. Vincent Price
23. Patrick Wilson
24. Kevin Spacey
25. Helen Mirren
26. Walter Huston
27. Donald Sutherland
28. Burgess Meredith
29. Bill Murray
30. Harrison Ford
31. John Barrymore
32. Daniel Day-Lewis
33. F. Murray Abraham
34. Stanley Tucci
35. Michael McKean
36. Mel Blanc
37. Lon Chaney Sr.
38. Natalie Wood
39. Keith David
40. Christopher Lloyd
41. Dustin Hoffman
42. Michelle Pfeiffer
43. Alan Rickman
44. Naomi Watts
45. Madeline Kahn
46. Janet Leigh
47. James Cagney
48. Ann-Margret
49. Will Friedle
50. Marcello Mastroianni
51. Fredric March
52. Rachel Hurd-Wood
53. Henry Fonda
54. Ralph Fiennes
55. Bryan Cranston
56. William Daniels
57. Jeff Bridges
58. Elizabeth Banks
59. Emma Stone
60. Bill Hader
61. Billy Bob Thornton
62. Richard Harris
63. Lisabeth Movin
64. Kristen Bell
65. Robert Downey Jr.
66. Lucy Boynton
67. Nancy Olson
68. Paul Robeson
69. Nicole Kidman
70. William Holden
71. Colin Firth
72. Charles Laughton
73. Michael Fassbender
74. George Sanders
75. Matthew Broderick
76. Tony Curtis
77. Katherine Hepburn
78. Vivian Leigh
79. Miriam Hopkins
80. Malcolm MacDowell
81. Alida Valli
82. Robert De Niro
83. Amy Adams
84. Humphrey Bogart
85. Everett Sloane
86. Julianne Moore
87. Nathan Lane
88. Gary Cooper
89. John C. Reilly
90. Sean Connery
91. John Goodman
92. Marlene Dietrich
93. Vanessa Redgrave
94. Steve Martin
95. Laurence Olivier
96. Spencer Tracy
97. Judy Garland
98. Dominique Sanda
99. Ray Wise
100. Bob Hoskins

1. Dustin Hoffman
2. Amy Adams
3. Philip Seymour Hoffman
4. Cate Blanchett
5. Julianne Moore
6. Jack Nicholson
7. Christian Bale
8. Meryl Streep
9. Greta Gerwig
10. Annette Bening
11. Brie Larson
12. Jeff Bridges
13. Kate Winslet
14. Marlon Brando
15. Christopher Walken
16. Nicolas Cage
17. Al Pacino
18. Jennifer Jason Leigh
19. Joaquin Phoenix
20. Rooney Mara
21. Charlize Theron
22. Nicole Kidman
23. Paul Dano
24. George Clooney
25. Natalie Portman
26. Robert DeNiro
27. Michael Shannon
28. Ellen Burstyn
29. LaKeith Stanfield
30. Jake Gyllenhaal
31. Bill Murray
32. Julie Delpy
33. Gael Garcia Bernal
34. Reese Witherspoon
35. Colin Farrell
36. Will Ferrell
37. Saoirse Ronan
38. Naomi Watts
39. Michael Keaton
40. Philip Baker Hall
41. Emma Stone
42. Jim Carrey
43. Tom Hanks
44. John Hawkes
45. Tom Cruise
46. Meg Ryan
47. Melissa Leo
48. Kirsten Dunst
49. Robin Williams
50. Paul Giamatti

1 Robert DeNiro
2 Jack Nicholson
3 Marlon Brando
4 Daniel Day-Lewis
5 Henry Fonda
6 Dustin Hoffman
7 Denzel Washington
8 Sally Field
9 Paul Newman
10 Tom Hanks
11 Al Pacino
12 Gene Hackman
13 Mary Tyler Moore
14 Robert Duvall
15 Faye Dunaway
16 Robin Williams
17 Jessica Lange
18 Jeff Bridges
19 Morgan Freeman
20 Lucille Ball
21 Michael Caine
22 Glenn Close
23 Leonardo DiCaprio
24 Harrison Ford
25 Kathy Bates
26 Bryan Cranston
27 Helen Mirren
28 Kevin Spacey
29 Steve McQueen
30 Frances McDormand
31 Kate Winslet
32 James Gandolfini
33 Michael Douglas
34 Jodie Foster
35 Sidney Poitier
36 Sissy Spacek
37 Tommy Lee Jones
38 Viola Davis
39 Andy Griffith
40 Susan Sarandon
41 Christian Bale
42 Judi Dench
43 Larry David
44 George Clooney
45 Edie Falco
46 Christopher Walken
47 Benicio Del Toro
48 Clint Eastwood
49 Samuel L. Jackson
50 Sigourney Weaver
51 Sean Connery
52 Forrest Whitaker
53 Martin Sheen
54 Gregory Peck
55 John Malkovich
56 Matthew McConaughey
57 Steve Buscemi
58 Heath Ledger
59 Hugh Jackman
60 Phil Hartman
61 Russell Crowe
62 Will Smith
63 Michael Chiklis
64 Melissa Gilbert
65 Don Knotts
66 Walton Goggins
67 Barbara Eden
68 Edward Norton
69 Viggo Mortensen
70 Charles Bronson
71 Eddie Murphy
72 Ian McShane
73 James Earl Jones
74 Jim Carrey
75 Redd Foxx
76 Michael C. Hall
77 Brad Pitt
78 Jon Hamm
79 Joan Collins
80 Jackie Gleason
81 Bill Murray
82 Tom Cruise
83 Don Cheadle
84 Gary Oldman
85Billy Bob Thornton
86 Idris Elba
87 James Garner
88 Bill Cosby
89 Tim Robbins
90 Dave Chappelle
91 Kurt Russell
92 Woody Harrelson
93 Jamie Foxx
94 J.K. Simmons
95 Reese Witherspoon
96 William Shatner
97 Michael K. Williams
98 Jean Stapleton
99 Vincent D'Onofrio
100 LeVar Burton

1 Robert De Niro
2 Al Pacino
3 Marlon Brando
4 Jack Nicholson
5 Meryl Streep
6 Tom Hanks
7 Charles Chaplin
8 Dustin Hoffman
9 Katharine Hepburn
10 Laurence Olivier
11 James Stewart
12 Paul Newman
13 Humphrey Bogart
14 Ingrid Bergman
15 Daniel Day-Lewis
16 Cary Grant
17 Sidney Poitier
18 Grace Kelly
19 Morgan Freeman
20 Jack Lemmon
21 Gregory Peck
22 Bette Davis
23 Denzel Washington
24 Henry Fonda
25 Audrey Hepburn
26 John Wayne
27 Olivia de Havilland
28 Gary Cooper
29 Barbara Stanwyck
30 Alec Guinness
31 Spencer Tracy
32 Peter O'Toole
33 Gene Hackman
34 Diane Keaton
35 Michael Caine
36 Clint Eastwood
37 Faye Dunaway
38 Clark Gable
39 Peter Sellers
40 James Cagney
41 Elizabeth Taylor
42 Robert Duvall
43 Buster Keaton
44 Susan Hayward
45 Anthony Hopkins
46 Toshiro Mifune
47 Ava Gardner
48 Leonardo DiCaprio
49 Sean Connery
50 Vivien Leigh
51 Sean Penn
52 Burt Lancaster
53 Robin Williams
54 Sophie Loren
55 hilip Seymour Hoffman
56 Tom Cruise
57 Richard Burton
58 Shirley MacLaine
59 Marcello Mastroianni
60 Robert Mitchum
61 Julia Roberts
62 William Holden
63 Kirk Douglas
64 Kate Winslet
65 George C. Scott
66 Robert Redford
67 Montgomery Clift
68 Jodie Foster
69 Gene Kelly
70 Fred Astaire
71 Harrison Ford
72 Johnny Depp
73 Bill Murray
74 Kathy Bates
75 Gary Oldman
76 Ben Kingsley
77 Sally Field
78 Gérard Depardieu
79 Russell Crowe
80 Jeff Bridges
81 Susan Sarandon
82 Max von Sydow
83 Jean Gabin
84 Kevin Spacey
85 Deborah Kerr
86 Christopher Walken
87 Orson Welles
88 Anthony Quinn
89 Edward G. Robinson
90 Jane Fonda
91 Judy Garland
92 Charles Laughton
93 Jessica Lange
94 Brad Pitt
95 Walter Matthau
96 Jim Carrey
97 Julie Andrews
98 James Dean
99 Edward Norton
100 Sissy Spacek

1. Tommi Korpela
2. Charlie Chaplin
3. Jack Nicholson
4. Philip Seymour Hoffman
5. Klaus Kinski
6. Orson Welles
7. Toshiro Mifune
8. Mads Mikkelsen
9. Naomi Watts
10. Kevin Spacey
11. Edward Norton
12. Marlon Brando
13. The Marx Brothers
14. Harvey Keitel
15. Kati Outinen
16. Robert De Niro
17. Al Pacino
18. Tilda Swinton
19. Samuel L. Jackson
20. Steve Buscemi
21. Woody Allen
22. Dustin Hoffman
23. Christopher Walken
24. Buster Keaton
25. Matti Pellonpää
26. Max von Sydow
27. Bill Murray
28. Jani Volanen
29. Joseph Gordon-Levitt
30. Ryan Gosling
31. Julianne Moore
32. Adam Driver
33. Michelle Williams
34. Carey Mulligan
35. Nicole Kidman
36. Julie Delpy
37. Sissy Spacek
38. Juliette Binoche
39. Sally Hawkins
40. Elizabeth Taylor,
41. Daniel Day-Lewis
42. Jake Gyllenhaal
43. Johnny Depp
44. Anthony Hopkins
45. Takeshi Kitano
46. John Malkovich
47. Jennifer Jason Leigh
48. Denzel Washington
49. John Wayne
50. Chishu Ryu
51. Gene Wilder
52. Giulietta Masina
53. Kate Winslet
54. Morgan Freeman
55. Jack Lemmon
56. Sean Penn
57. Setsuko Hara
58. Ewan McGregor
59. Isabelle Huppert
60. Jacques Tati
61. James Stewart
62. Cate Blanchett
63. Michael Fassbender
64. Kyle MacLachlan,
65. Natalie Portman
66. Paul Newman
67. Brad Pitt
68. Sulevi Peltola
69. Willem Dafoe
70. Leonardo DiCaprio
71. Tatsuya Nakadai
72. Robin Williams
73. Elina Salo
74. Christopher Lee
75. Harold Lloyd
76. Humphrey Bogart
77. John Turturro
78. Leslie Nielsen
79. Tom Hardy
80. Anthony Perkins
81. Kathy Bates
82. Harriet Andersson
83. Nicolas Cage
84. Marlene Dietrich
85. Javier Bardem
86. Joaquin Phoenix
87. Jennifer Lawrence
88. Harry Dean Stanton
89. Leea Klemola
90. Alain Delon
91. Billy Bob Thornton
92. Eddie Murphy
93. Ethan Hawke
94. Frances McDormand
95. Tony Chiu-Wai Leung
96. Robert Carlyle
97. Ingrid Bergman
98. Peter Sellers
99. Mia Farrow
100. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bubblers in alphabetical order:
Adrien Brody
Alec Guinness
Alicia Vikander
Amy Adams
Ana Torrent
Andy Lau,
Andy Serkis
Anna Karina
Annette Bening
Anouk Aimée
Antonio Banderas
Audrey Hepburn
Audrey Tautou
Bela Lugosi
Ben Kingsley
Bette Davis
Bibi Andersson
Boris Karloff
Bradley Cooper
Bridget Fonda
Bruce Dern
Bruce Lee
Bruce Willis
Bruno S
Burt Lancaster
Burt Reynolds
Cameron Diaz
Carmen Maura
Cary Grant
Catherine Deneuve
Celia Johnson
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Charlotte Rampling
Chloe Sevigne
Christian Bale
Christina Ricci
Christopher Lloyd
Clint Eastwood
Cliwe Owen
Colin Firth
Danny DeVito
Debbie Reynolds
Denis Lavant
Dennis Hopper
Diane Keaton
Elena Leeve
Elina Knihtilä
Ellen Barkin
Ellen Burstyn
Ellen Page
Emily Watson
Emma Thompson
Emmanuelle Riva
Ezra Miller
Faye Dunaway
Forest Whitaker
Frank Sinatra
Gabriel Byrne
Gael García Bernal
Gary Oldman
Gena Rowlands
Gene Hackman
Gene Kelly
George C. Scott
George Clooney
Gong Li
Grace Kelly
Gregory Peck
Greta Gerwig
Harrison Ford
Heath Ledger
Henry Fonda
Holly Hunter
Ian Holm
Imelda Staunton
Irène Jacob
Isabella Rossellini
Isabelle Adjani
Jackie Chan
James Dean
James Gandolfini
Jamie Bell
Jane Fonda
Jean Seberg
Jean-Louis Trintignant
Jean-Pierre Léaud
Jeanne Moreau
Jeff Bridges
Jeff Goldblum
Jeremy Irons
Jesse Eisenberg
Jim Broadbent
Jim Carrey
Joan Fontaine
Jodie Foster
John C. Reilly
John Goodman
John Hurt
John Travolta
Joonas Saartamo
Jude Law
Judi Dench
Julie Andrews
Julie Christie
Juliette Lewis
Jörn Donner
Kari Väänänen
Katharine Hepburn
Keanu Reeves
Kevin Costner
Kevin Kline
Kim Bodnia
Kim Novak
Kirk Douglas
Kirsten Dunst
Kristen Wiig
Kristiina Halkola
Laura Dern
Léa Seydoux
Lee Marvin
Lee Van Cleef
Leslie Cheung
Liv Ullmann
Maggie Cheung
Marcello Mastroianni
Marilyn Monroe
Marion Cotillard
Martin Sheen
Matt Damon
Matthew McConaughey
Meryl Streep
Mia Wasikowska
Michael Caine
Michael Douglas
Michael J. Fox
Michael Keaton
Michael Shannon
Michelle Pfeiffer
Mickey Rourke
Minna Haapkylä
Oliver Hardy
Patricia Arquette
Paul Dano
Paul Giamatti
Penélope Cruz
Pertti Sveholm
Peter Falkin
Peter Fonda
Peter Franzén
Peter Lorre
Peter O'Toole
Pirkka-Pekka Petelius
Rachel Weisz,
Ralph Fiennes
Ray Milland
Renée Falconetti
Richard Burton
Ricky Gervais
Robert Downey Jr.
Robert Duvall
Robert Redford
Roberto Benigni
Rooney Mara
Rosamund Pike
Rudolf Klein-Rogge
Russell Crowe
Sakari Kuosmanen
Samantha Morton
Scarlett Johansson
Sean Connery
Shelley Duvall
Sidney Poitier
Sigourney Weaver
Silu Seppälä
Spike Lee
Stan Laurel
Stellan Skarsgård
Steve Carell
Steve Coogan
Steve McQueen
Susan Sarandon
Sylvester Stallone
Tim Robbins
Tim Roth
Tom Cruise
Tom Hanks
Tom Waits
Tom Wilkinson
Tommy Lee Jones
Tony Curtis
Udo Kier
Vesa-Matti Loiri
Viggo Mortensen
Ville Virtanen
Vincent Cassel
W.C. Fields
Warren Beatty
Wesley Snipes
Whoopi Goldberg
William Holden
Winona Ryder
Woody Harrelson
Zbigniew Cybulski
Zooey Deschanel
Susumu Terajima
Takashi Shimura

1. Cary Grant
2. Jack Lemmon
3. Michael Caine
4. Humphrey Bogart
5. Charles Chaplin
6. Katharine Hepburn
7. Tom Hanks
8. Audrey Hepburn
9. Anthony Hopkins
10. James Stewart
11. Ingrid Bergman
12. Eusebio Poncela
13. Federico Luppi
14. Daniel Auteil
15. Robert de Niro
16. Kirk Douglas
17. Paul Newman
18. Tony Curtis
19. Robert Mitchum
20. Woody Allen
21. José Sacristán
22. Gene Hackmann
23. José Luis López Vázquez
24. Groucho Marx/The Marx Brothers
25. Sean Connery
26. Gerard Depardieu
27. Jane Fonda
28. Christopher Plummer
29. Fernando Rey
30. Marisa Paredes
31. Robert Redford
32. William Holden
33. Ralph Fiennes
34. Samuel L. Jackson
35. Burt Lancaster
36. Al Pacino
37. Marcelo Mastroianni
38. Peter Sellers
39. George Clooney
40. Jean Rochefort
41. Dustin Hoffman
42. Fabrice Luchinni
43. Morgan Freeman
44. Lawrence Olivier
45. John Wayne
46. Gregory Peck
47. Charles Laughton
48. José Isbert
49. Henry Fonda
50. Luis Tosar
51. Andrés Pajares
52. Michael Ironside
53. Bradley Cooper
54. Javier Bardem
55. Fernando Fernán Gómez
56. Alfredo Landa
57. Sideney Poitier
58. Clint Eastwood
59. William Hurt
60. Gene Kelly
61. Buster Keaton
62. Carmelo Gómez
63. Deborah Kerr
64. John Turturro
65. Peter O’Toole
66. Jerry Lewis
67. Joan Fontaine
68. Zooey Deschanel
69. Vittorio Gassman
70. Marilyn Monroe
71. Walter Mathau
72. Charlon Heston
73. Jean Reno
74. Leonardo Dicaprio
75. Greg Kinnear
76. Jennifer Lawrence
77. Pilar Bardem
78. Shirley McLaine
79. Ian Mckellen
80. Marlon Brando
81. Robert Taylor
82. Liv Ullman
83. Carmen Maura
84. Audrey Totou
85. Cecilia Roth
86. Paul Giamatti
87. Bill Murray
88. Carole Lombard
89. Kenneth Brannagh
90. Kate Winslet
91. Matt Damon
92. Bette Davis
93. Dean Martin
94. Charo López
95. Ana Belén
96. Spencer Tracy
97. Carrie Ann-Moss
98. Gary Oldman
99. Robert Duvall
100. Denzel Washington

1. Marlon Brando
2. Louis Jouvet
3. Jack Nicholson
4. Jean-Louis Trintignant
5. Gena Rowlands
6. Peter Sellers
7. Charles Denner
8. Sandrine Kiberlain
9. Robert De Niro
10. Isabelle Huppert
11. Karin Viard
12. Ingrid Bergman
13. Louise Brooks
14. Anna Mouglalis
15. Christopher Walken
16. Benicio Del Toro
17. François Cluzet
18. Michel Serrault
19. Jean-Pierre Bacri
20. Toni Servillo
21. Dirk Bogarde
22. Jim Carrey
23. Patrick Dewaere
24. Marie Trintignant
25. Isabelle Adjani
26. Bill Murray
27. Robert Mitchum
28. Romy Schneider
29. Cate Blanchett
30. Jeremy Irons
31. Dustin Hoffman
32. Benoit Poelvoorde
33. Albert Dupontel
34. Gene Tierney
35. Kate Winslet
36. Julianne Moore
37. Isabelle Carré
38. Hélène Fillières
39. Emmanuelle Devos
40. Mathieu Amalric
41. Guillaume Depardieu
42. Michel Simon
43. Lon Chaney
44. Peter Falk
45. Casey Affleck
46. Edward Norton
47. Marcello Mastroianni
48. Michel Piccoli
49. Kevin Spacey
50. Gabriel Byrne
51. Gérard Depardieu
52. Alberto Sordi
53. Jean Yanne
54. Michael Caine
55. Michael Sheen
56. Harvey Keitel
57. Charlize Theron
58. Jean Seberg
59. Céline Sallette
60. Irene Jacob
61. Michel Bouquet
62. Yves Montand
63. Robert Duvall
64. John Cleese
65. Donald Pleasence
66. Peter Lorre
67. Jack Lemmon
68. Nicole Kidman
69. Scarlett Johansson
70. Maggie Smith
71. Frances McDormand
72. Emily Watson
73. Meryl Streep
74. Alec Guinness
75. Charles Laughton
76. Michael Shannon
77. John Hurt
78. Daniel Day-Lewis
79. Al Pacino
80. Jean-Pierre Marielle
81. Jean Rochefort
82. Paul Newman
83. Tony Curtis
84. Dominic West
85. Jean-Pierre Darroussin
86. Alain Chabat
87. Denis Lavant
88. Delphine Seyrig
89. Donald Sutherland
90. Matthieu Kassowitz
91. Joachin Phoenix
92. Sandra Hüller
93. Naomi Watts
94. Shelley Winters
95. Brigitte Bardot
96. Marilyn Monroe
97. Bette Davis
98. Peter Capaldi
99. Jon Hamm
100. Kerry Fox

1. Ian McKellan
2. Tom Hanks
3. Samuel L. Jackson
4. Harrison Ford
5. Leonardo DiCaprio
6. Will Smith
7. Jackie Chan
8. Brad Pitt
9. Julie Andrews
10. Johnny Depp
11. Robert De Niro
12. Helena Bonham Carter
13. Daniel Radcliffe
14. Zachary Quinto
15. Robert Downey Jr.
16. John Travolta
17. Morgan Freeman
18. Hugh Jackman
19. J.K. Simmons
20. William Powell
21. Myrna Loy
22. Alan Rickman
23. Paul Giamatti
24. Vin Diesel
25. Heath Ledger
26. Bryan Cranston
27. Dan Castellaneta
28. Jennifer Lawrence
29. Anne Hathaway
30. Maggie Smith
31. Ben Kingsley
32. Natalie Portman
33. Eddie Murphy
34. Steve Carell
35. Andy Serkis
36. Mike Myers
37. Orlando Bloom
38. Hayden Panettiere
39. Keira Knightley
40. Edward James Olmos
41. Emma Watson
42. Matt Damon
43. Patrick Stewart
44. Jonah Hill
45. James Stewart
46. Daniel Kaluuya
47. Cate Blanchett
48. Rachel McAdams
49. Elijah Wood
50. Viggo Mortensen

1. Gary Cooper
2. Katharine Hepburn
3. Elizabeth Taylor
4. James Stewart
5. Cary Grant
6. Charlie Chaplin
7. Paul Newman
8. Catherine Deneuve
9. Setsuko Hara
10. Ingrid Bergman
11. John Wayne
12. Jeanne Moreau
13. Marlon Brando
14. Bette Davis
15. Humphrey Bogart
16. Fred Astaire
17. Clark Gable
18. Marlene Dietrich
19. Woody Allen
20. Judy Garland
21. Toshiro Mifune
22. Marilyn Monroe
23. Spencer Tracy
24. Vivien Leigh
25. Jack Nicholson
26. Audrey Hepburn
27. Greta Garbo
28. Buster Keaton
29. Lillian Gish
30. Anna Karina

1. Lucille Ball
2. Bea Arthur
3. Betty White
4. Vicki Lawrence
5. Rue McLanahan
6. Jackie Gleason
7. Tony Randall
8. Jack Klugman
9. Katherine Helmond
10. Robert Guillaume
11. Estelle Getty
12. Richard Mulligan
13. Cathryn Damon
14. Vivian Vance
15. Art Carney
16. Judy Garland
17. Robin Williams
18. Carol Burnett
19. Sigourney Weaver
20. Audrey Meadows
21. Sarah Michelle Gellar
22. Lynda Carter
23. Caroll O'Connor
24. Judith Light
25. Jamie Lee Curtis
26. Susan Lucci
27. Jodi Foster
28. Candice Bergen
29. John Ritter
30. Whoopi Goldberg
31. Erika Slezak
32. Doris Roberts
33. Jean Stapleton
34. Ray Romano
35. Charlotte Rae
36. Geena Davis
37. David Canary
38. Patricia Heaton
39. Julia Barr
40. Cher
41. Dorothy Lyman
42. Desi Arnaz
43. Marla Gibbs
44. Leah Remini
45. William Frawley
45. John Travolta
47. Gloria Swanson
48. Olivia Newton-John
48. Lana Parilla
50. Ginnifer Goodwin
51. Sherman Hemsely
52. Sharon Gless
53. Dinah Manoff
54. Isabel Sanford
55. Hal Sparks
56. Jennifer Morrison
57. Nancy McKeon
58. Lisa Whelchel
59. Brad Garrett
60. Madonna
61. Valerie Harper
62. Marisa Hargitay
63. Megan Mullally
64. Christopher Meloni
65. Beverly Archer
66. Ken Berry
67. Mary Tyler Moore
68. Shirley McLaine
69. Peter Boyle
70. Kevin James

1. Jack Nicholson
2. Robert De Niro
3. Al Pacino
4. Dustin Hoffman
5. Clint Eastwood
6. Tom Cruise
7. Jake Gyllenhaal
8. Philip Seymour Hoffman
9. Tom Hanks
10. Julianne Moore
11. Brad Pitt
12. Jeff Bridges
13. Robert Downey Jr.
14. Paul Newman
15. Jim Carrey
16. Dianne Keaton
17. Bryan Cranston
18. John Goodman
19. Naomi Watts
20. Daniel Day Lewis
21. Ethan Hawke
22. Marlon Brando
23. Charles Chaplin
24. Emma Stone
25. Michael Keaton
26. James Stewart
27. Gene Hackman
28. Bill Murray
29. Woody Allen
30. Emily Watson

1. Laurence Olivier
2. Katharine Hepburn
3. Meryl Streep
4. Jack Nicholson
5. Marlon Brando
6. Peter O'Toole
7. Bette Davis
8. Spencer Tracy
9. Paul Newman
10. Robert De Niro
11. Jack Lemmon
12. Al Pacino
13. Burt Lancaster
14. Daniel Day-Lewis
15. Denzel Washington
16. Viola Davis
17. Jane Fonda
18. Tom Hanks
19. Liv Ullmann
20. Isabelle Huppert
21. Dustin Hoffman
22. Ingrid Bergman
23. Shirley MacLaine
24. Sally Field
25. Kate Winslet
26. Michael Caine
27. Cate Blanchett
28. Robert Mitchum
29. Gary Cooper
30. Kirk Douglas
31. Robert Duvall
32. Joaquin Phoenix
33. Gene Hackman
34. Jeff Bridges
35. James Stewart
36. Gena Rowlands
37. Greta Garbo
38. James Cagney
39. Faye Dunaway
40. Elizabeth Taylor
41. Judy Garland
42. Julie Andrews
43. Marlene Dietrich
44. Gregory Peck
45. Catherine Deneuve
46. Morgan Freeman
47. Lucille Ball
48. Leonardo DiCaprio
49. Betty White
50. Audrey Hepburn
51. Julianne Moore
52. John Goodman
53. Gong Li
54. Diane Keaton
55. Clark Gable
56. Alec Guiness
57. Amy Adams
58. Toshiro Mifune
59. Jodie Foster
60. Philip Seymour Hoffman
61. Anthony Hopkins
62. Marcello Mastroianni
63. Nicole Kidman
64. Humphrey Bogart
65. Jennifer Lawrence
66. Jessica Lange
67. Sissy Spacek
68. Judi Dench
69. Maggie Smith
70. Richard Burton
71. Christian Bale
72. Vanessa Redgrave
73. Glenn Close
74. Deborah Kerr
75. Olivia de Havilland
76. Sidney Poitier
77. Bea Arthur
78. Henry Fonda
79. Joan Crawford
80. Sean Penn
81. Johnny Depp
82. Penelope Cruz
83. Natalie Portman
84. Kevin Spacey
85. Sophia Loren
86. Juliette Binoche
87. Marion Cotillard
88. Michelle Williams
89. Javier Bardem
90. Benecio Del Toro
91. Charlie Chaplin
92. Cary Grant
93. Gerard Depardieu
94. Max Von Sydow
95. Peter Sellers
96. The Marx Brothers
97. Clint Eastwood
98. Isabelle Adjani
99. Sean Connery
100. Buster Keaton
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Thanks Dexter for putting this together. I struggled for about 5 hours putting my list together so I can only imagine how long it took you to tabulate everyone's list into the final results. I'm sure it was well worth it as it was for me putting my list together. Great job, Dexter.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Thanks a lot, Dexter. Wonderful job!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Thank you very much bootsy and Bruno!I really appreciate it. Yes, the long hours and extra work was well worth it. I have a newfound appreciation for those who run and tabulate AMF polls (Good luck notbrianoeno on the albums poll!); in the meantime, I'll return to participating in them.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”