EOY 2017: Grammy Nominations (Record, Album)

Harold
Into the Groove

EOY 2017: Grammy Nominations (Record, Album)

Post by Harold »

The Grammy nominations are out. Here are the nominees for Record of the Year and Album of the Year, which will be added to the respective EOY spreadsheets:

Record Of The Year:
“Redbone” — Childish Gambino
“Despacito” — Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee Featuring Justin Bieber
“The Story Of O.J.” — Jay-Z
“HUMBLE.” — Kendrick Lamar
“24K Magic” — Bruno Mars

Album Of The Year:
“Awaken, My Love!” — Childish Gambino
4:44 — Jay-Z
DAMN. — Kendrick Lamar
Melodrama — Lorde
24K Magic — Bruno Mars

Remember, Record of the Year is for the overall recording, while Song of the Year is strictly for the songwriters themselves. For the record (no pun intended), here are those nominees as well:

Song Of The Year:
“Despacito” — Ramón Ayala, Justin Bieber, Jason “Poo Bear” Boyd, Erika Ender, Luis Fonsi & Marty James Garton, songwriters (Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee Featuring Justin Bieber)
“4:44” — Shawn Carter & Dion Wilson, songwriters (Jay-Z)
“Issues” — Benny Blanco, Mikkel Storleer Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Julia Michaels & Justin Drew Tranter, songwriters (Julia Michaels)
“1-800-273-8255” — Alessia Caracciolo, Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, Arjun Ivatury & Khalid Robinson, songwriters (Logic Featuring Alessia Cara & Khalid)
“That’s What I Like” — Christopher Brody Brown, James Fauntleroy, Philip Lawrence, Bruno Mars, Ray Charles McCullough II, Jeremy Reeves, Ray Romulus & Jonathan Yip, songwriters (Bruno Mars)

Also note that because of the way the Grammys define "the year," Taylor Swift won't be eligible until 2018. Maybe they'll make up for TPAB losing to 1989 by giving Kendrick AOTY this time around, but that's not a sure thing. Jay-Z has the most overall nominations, so this might be his year.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: EOY 2017: Grammy Nominations (Record, Album)

Post by StevieFan13 »

Should we post the genre categories as well?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:Should we post the genre categories as well?
You can post whatever you want, but only the overall Record and Album nominees are going on their respective spreadsheets.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
You can post whatever you want, but only the overall Record and Album nominees are going on their respective spreadsheets.
But genre lists count now.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Harold wrote:
Henrik, what's the verdict here? Wouldn't this mean going back and adding every genre album of the year Grammy from all previous years? Also, this would add an unwieldy number of columns to the EOY spreadsheet.

I'll say this now: I am not adding every single EOY genre list from every single eligible source to the EOY spreadsheet. That's just not going to happen.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Harold wrote:
Henrik, what's the verdict here? Wouldn't this mean going back and adding every genre album of the year Grammy from all previous years? Also, this would add an unwieldy number of columns to the EOY spreadsheet.

I'll say this now: I am not adding every single EOY genre list from every single eligible source to the EOY spreadsheet. That's just not going to happen.
I’d agree that EOY genre lists shouldn’t count.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

What about Latin Grammy?
TVFan365
Strange Fruit

Post by TVFan365 »

I will still never understand why we take Record of the Year but not Song of the Year into consideration. Record of the Year of the year only takes the proudction and vocals into considerations not the lyrics. Song of the Year takes the lyrics into consideration. So they both make up the whole of what a song can be. Production/vocals + lyrics. This rule needs to be evaluated again because I think both Record of the Year and Song of the Year should be taken into consideration.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

TVFan365 wrote:I will still never understand why we take Record of the Year but not Song of the Year into consideration. Record of the Year of the year only takes the proudction and vocals into considerations not the lyrics. Song of the Year takes the lyrics into consideration. So they both make up the whole of what a song can be. Production/vocals + lyrics. This rule needs to be evaluated again because I think both Record of the Year and Song of the Year should be taken into consideration.
Yeah!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

TVFan365 wrote:I will still never understand why we take Record of the Year but not Song of the Year into consideration. Record of the Year of the year only takes the proudction and vocals into considerations not the lyrics. Song of the Year takes the lyrics into consideration. So they both make up the whole of what a song can be. Production/vocals + lyrics. This rule needs to be evaluated again because I think both Record of the Year and Song of the Year should be taken into consideration.
As song of the year is for lyrics/songwriting alone I don’t think it is appropriate for AM. So I’m thinking either keep record of the year or remove that too.

If these categories are non-overlapping, then why is often a song nominated for both Record and Song?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:I’d agree that EOY genre lists shouldn’t count.
Thanks. And, sorry if my earlier post came off a little defensive - I just don't want to expand my workload here any more than necessary, because, you know, life and work and sanity and stuff like that. :mrgreen:
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I’d agree that EOY genre lists shouldn’t count.
Thanks. And, sorry if my earlier post came off a little defensive - I just don't want to expand my workload here any more than necessary, because, you know, life and work and sanity and stuff like that. :mrgreen:
Absolutely! No worries.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Henrik wrote:
As song of the year is for lyrics/songwriting alone I don’t think it is appropriate for AM. So I’m thinking either keep record of the year or remove that too.

If these categories are non-overlapping, then why is often a song nominated for both Record and Song?
For the same reason the Oscar nominees for Best Picture, Director and Writing almost always overlap - art and pop culture is often celebrated for the sum of its parts. With voting bodies this large, there isn't any singular push for people to try and vote for their favorite song lyrics vs. their favorite song production. Sometimes it sticks out, but often it's inevitably just their favorite song.

Shows in this website too - the artists in the top 10 of every EOY Album list always closely resemble the artists in the top 10 of every EOY Songs list. It's a result of large, unorganized, though similarly minded voting populations.
TVFan365
Strange Fruit

Post by TVFan365 »

Henrik wrote:

I'm pretty sure the American Songwriter list that comes out every year are for lyrics/songwriting.

Return to “EOY 2017”