Site update is here

Henrik
Site Admin

Site update is here

Post by Henrik »

The site has been updated. I hope you will enjoy it and don't find too many errors. Now I will go to sleep...
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Site update is here

Post by Henrik »

Just one more thing before I go to bed...thanks to everyone who has helped out in any way! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:Just one more thing before I go to bed...thanks to everyone who has helped out in any way! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Congrats, Henrik! Very excited to look into it! :happy-partydance:
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Thanks, Henrik! A perfect end to the weekend. Looking forward to exploring.
kzaccaro
I'm New Here

Post by kzaccaro »

I noticed Geogaddi is now at 666 and the album is 66:06 long as a joke. Weird!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Henrik wrote:The site has been updated.
5 of the most beautiful words in the English language, along with "France won the world cup".
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Amazing as always, Henrik! Can't wait to look through the new update!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nassim wrote:
Henrik wrote:The site has been updated.
5 of the most beautiful words in the English language, along with "France won the world cup".
Amen to that!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

A pair of albums fell out of the top 500 that would be very strong ModAcc contenders if somebody nominated them: "Lift Yr Skinny Fists" and "The ArchAndroid." The former has been outside of the top 500 before, but I can't personally recall it ever being nominated (but someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Mostly the 2017 looks like it was expected to. 50 Song Memoir only a bubbler probably a symptom of price and length. I'm a little surprised that Luciferian Towers isn't even bubbling since I see it as similar quality to all the other Godspeed albums.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Jirin wrote:Mostly the 2017 looks like it was expected to. 50 Song Memoir only a bubbler probably a symptom of price and length. I'm a little surprised that Luciferian Towers isn't even bubbling since I see it as similar quality to all the other Godspeed albums.
"50 Song Memoir" is probably the most disappointing thing to me. To where I've always felt "69 Love Songs" is a bit inconsistent, I thought the concept of "Memoir" was both ingenious and well-executed throughout. I'm not sure why it wasn't more acclaimed by the critics. (The length shouldn't have bothered them - at least, I'd sure hope not. Perhaps it was because some of the publications just look at the Fields as being past their prime?)

And, of course, many thanks for the update, Henrik! I may be increasingly falling out of touch with the critics, but I'll always find their opinions fascinating!
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Thank you so much Henrik!
DadHasADD
Only Sixteen

Post by DadHasADD »

Thank you for the update! In the past, I remember there also being spreadsheets of the top songs & albums, showing past rankings, whether a song or album was new to the list etc. Are those still available anywhere on the site?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

DadHasADD wrote:Thank you for the update! In the past, I remember there also being spreadsheets of the top songs & albums, showing past rankings, whether a song or album was new to the list etc. Are those still available anywhere on the site?
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/history.htm
DadHasADD
Only Sixteen

Post by DadHasADD »

Henrik wrote:
DadHasADD wrote:Thank you for the update! In the past, I remember there also being spreadsheets of the top songs & albums, showing past rankings, whether a song or album was new to the list etc. Are those still available anywhere on the site?
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/history.htm
Thank you! I don't quite know how I missed that since it is linked right there on the home page. Maybe being up as 3:15 a.m. EST has something to do with it!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Thank you Henrik!! Now to spend a great deal of time looking it all over...
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Was Pitchfork's 1998 album list added?
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

A very big thank you, Henrik!
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Is anyone interested in another 9825/10000 style tournament? I’m on holiday right now so I won’t be able to start it until next week but I want to see if people are still interested in this tournament.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
carlos74
Wannabe

Post by carlos74 »

Thanks!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm also a little surprised that Plunge isn't a little higher. At least in my opinion, Plunge is much better than the more droning self titled which is six hundred spots higher.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Big thank-you to Henrik and the other crewmates keeping this majestic ship sailing, though it may have to dock real soon...

Snapshot of artist moves:
Kesha into top 3000
Cardi B and Paramore into top 2000
Algiers ALMOST to top 1000 (grr...)
Charli XCX, Calvin Harris and SZA into top 1000
The xx into top 200
Frank Ocean almost top 100 (this really caught me off-guard)
The National into top 100
LCD Soundsystem (back) into top 50
Kendrick Lamar into top 50
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bang Jan wrote:Is anyone interested in another 9825/10000 style tournament? I’m on holiday right now so I won’t be able to start it until next week but I want to see if people are still interested in this tournament.
I’m in, I really like this concept. But perhaps the game would need some alterations? First of all, there is a huge overlap between the songs in the 9825/10000 segment compared to the last update, but I’m sure you are aware of that. Replacements could be picked from the songs closest above I guess. But based on voters’ comments I also think people felt that there were quite a lot of uninteresting songs in the first tournament. Although I am really pleased that I managed to create a top 10000 songs list, I admit it tends to get rather ”arbitrary” below, say, the top 7000, with almost no difference in scores. Perhaps more people would enjoy the game more if we do something like 6001/6176? Just a thought.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

I like the idea of 6001/6176! I do think however that 16 songs per week is a bit too much to digest when most people aren’t likely to be familiar with most of them. I’ll probably end up reducing the field to something like 96 songs and have 8 songs per week which I think is more manageable.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Thanks again for the update Henrik! Hope you can take a good rest now.

Still surprised that Lana Del Rey and Wolf Alice didn't make it. Thought they would have enough points. And yes, I agree about Magnetic Fields being deserving, although I didn't expect them to make it. The same goes for Phoebe Bridgers.

Also, I would like a 6001/6176 game.

Now, another thing. For MegaCritic I always post the A Taste of MegaCritic Spotify playlist with every update. I have been toying with making a list like that for the top 3000 albums on AM. Originally, I wanted to do it after the last update, but Henrik quickly announced an update with only 2017 entries, so I decided to wait.

This playlist will work like A Taste of MegaCritic: 3 songs per album. I will pick the three highest ranked songs of the album on AM. If there are not enough songs on AM for the album I will pick the most listened to on Spotify. If I have to pick between two or more bubblers I will pick the bubbling song with the most Spotify streams. Of course, this will get some weird results: three songs from a Buddy Holly album will be very short, while Tubular Bells has only two songs and will be included in full, but it will be a fun sampler regardless. I'm not sure how I will handle albums with different track lists per country, like Are You Experienced?, so suggestions are welcome.

I hope people like this idea. I will leave on holiday for two weeks on Saturday and won't start on this until after that.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Rob wrote:Now, another thing. For MegaCritic I always post the A Taste of MegaCritic Spotify playlist with every update. I have been toying with making a list like that for the top 3000 albums on AM. Originally, I wanted to do it after the last update, but Henrik quickly announced an update with only 2017 entries, so I decided to wait.

This playlist will work like A Taste of MegaCritic: 3 songs per album. I will pick the three highest ranked songs of the album on AM. If there are not enough songs on AM for the album I will pick the most listened to on Spotify. If I have to pick between two or more bubblers I will pick the bubbling song with the most Spotify streams. Of course, this will get some weird results: three songs from a Buddy Holly album will be very short, while Tubular Bells has only two songs and will be included in full, but it will be a fun sampler regardless. I'm not sure how I will handle albums with different track lists per country, like Are You Experienced?, so suggestions are welcome.

I hope people like this idea. I will leave on holiday for two weeks on Saturday and won't start on this until after that.
Oh yes!!! :D Sorry, but may I ask if I could copy this list to the acclaimedmusic spotify account and publish it on the alltime top 3000 albums page?
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Rob wrote:Thanks again for the update Henrik! Hope you can take a good rest now.

Still surprised that Lana Del Rey and Wolf Alice didn't make it. Thought they would have enough points. And yes, I agree about Magnetic Fields being deserving, although I didn't expect them to make it. The same goes for Phoebe Bridgers.

Also, I would like a 6001/6176 game.

Now, another thing. For MegaCritic I always post the A Taste of MegaCritic Spotify playlist with every update. I have been toying with making a list like that for the top 3000 albums on AM. Originally, I wanted to do it after the last update, but Henrik quickly announced an update with only 2017 entries, so I decided to wait.

I love it!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Henrik wrote:
Rob wrote:Now, another thing. For MegaCritic I always post the A Taste of MegaCritic Spotify playlist with every update. I have been toying with making a list like that for the top 3000 albums on AM. Originally, I wanted to do it after the last update, but Henrik quickly announced an update with only 2017 entries, so I decided to wait.

Oh yes!!! :D Sorry, but may I ask if I could copy this list to the acclaimedmusic spotify account and publish it on the alltime top 3000 albums page?
Of course! Once it is done it can be linked.
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

Thanks, Henrik! I can only imagine how much work this is, but I just wanted you to know that I owe 99% of what I know about music to you!
woodymac
Strange Fruit

Post by woodymac »

Future Critic wrote:Thanks, Henrik! I can only imagine how much work this is, but I just wanted you to know that I owe 99% of what I know about music to you!
I'd like to echo this. AM and RYM have served as the two most important resources in shaping my musical taste thus far.
What will happen in the morning
when the world it gets so crowded that you can’t look out the window in the morning?
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Congratulations for the update, Henrik, and thank you very much! Just one quick question: I thought the update included only the 2017 lists but checking changes on the order of the song of the 100 albums of Rank the Tracks I detected changes on 5 of the 100 albums. Maybe you said it in the forum before but... are there other lists included apart of the 2017 ones?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Honorio wrote:Congratulations for the update, Henrik, and thank you very much! Just one quick question: I thought the update included only the 2017 lists but checking changes on the order of the song of the 100 albums of Rank the Tracks I detected changes on 5 of the 100 albums. Maybe you said it in the forum before but... are there other lists included apart of the 2017 ones?
Thanks Honorio! Take a look at the updates page (via the history page). There are some updated allmusic ratings and hall of fame lists.

However, even without those there would be other changes to the alltime list, as the list is a result of an iterative process. Especially when new albums are being added, the set of albums that are used for comparison/pairwise matchups changes, which has an impact on the results.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Holy crap, if we ever have another "Favorite songs by AM top 100 artists" poll, I'm going to have to find a song I like by the National.

Anyway, thanks Henrik for one last update; I don't think I'd be useful on this front but I hope there's a way for the main page to keep going.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Great job, Henrik!
Thanks!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

As the tradition goes, here is the list of years and artists with new #1 songs or albums.
The way I filter, if someone had only one album in the top 3000 or 10000, that now dropped from the list but has been replaced by a different one, I would have missed it.
Also I take whoever is listed as artists in the AM excel sheets, so for instance for Pharrell Williams my formula is completely overlooking Get Lucky.

Songs :
1923 : Bessie Smith - Downhearted Blues over King Oliver - Dipper Mouth Blues
1941 : Billie Holiday - God Bless the Child over Duke Ellington - Take the "A" Train
1977 : Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen over David Bowie - "Heroes" (the songs switched position, at #25 and #26, let’s call it a virtual tie)

Simon and Garfunkel : Bridge Over Troubled Water over The Sound of Silence
Kendrick Lamar : HUMBLE. (2017 song) over King Kunta
Green Day : American Idiot over Basket Case
Snoop Dogg : Drop It Like It's Hot over Gin and Juice
Kelela : LMK (2017 song) over Rewind
Vince Staples : Big Fish (2017 song) over Norf Norf
Pharrell Williams : Happy over Frontin'
Sampha : (No One Knows Me) Like the Piano (2017 song) over Blood on Me
Katy Perry : Teenage Dream over I Kissed a Girl
Charli XCX : Boys (2017 song) over Boom Clap
Future : Mask Off / Mask Off (Remix feat. Kendrick Lamar) (2017 song) over Move That Dope
King Krule : Dum Surfer (2017 song) over Easy Easy
Migos : T-Shirt (2017 song) over Versace (Remix)
Falco : Rock Me Amadeus over Der Kommissar
Fall Out Boy : Sugar, We're Going Down over This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race
Kid Rock : Bawitdaba over All Summer Long
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers : Blues March/Blues March for Europe No. 1 over Moanin'
Larry Williams : Short Fat Fannie over Bony Moronie
Bilderbuch : Bungalow (2017 song) over Maschin
Andy Williams : Moon River over Music to Watch Girls By
Miranda Lambert : The House That Built Me (New entry) over Gunpowder and Lead
Lush : De Luxe over Ladykillers
Radio Futura : Veneno en la piel over Escuela de calor
Tove Lo : Cool Girl over Habits (Stay High)
Japanese Breakfast : Road Head (2017 song) over Everybody Wants to Love You
Paramore : Hard Times (2017 song) over Still Into You
Guy Clark : L.A. Freeway over Desperados Waiting for a Train

Albums :
1998 : Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill over Air - Moon Safari
2012 : Frank Ocean - Channel Orange over Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city

Frank Sinatra : Songs for Swingin' Lovers! over In the Wee Small Hours
Vince Staples : Big Fish Theory (2017 album) over Summertime '06
Built to Spill : There's Nothing Wrong with Love over Keep It Like a Secret (Built to Spill has only 3 albums ranked, but they are ranked 1009, 1012 and 1031. I wonder if there is another band or artist with such a stacked bunch of albums)
Perfume Genius : No Shape (2017 album) over Too Bright
Rickie Lee Jones : Pirates over Rickie Lee Jones
The Meters : Look-Ka Py Py over Rejuvenation
Slowdive : Slowdive (2017 album) over Souvlaki
Lorde : Melodrama (2017 album) over Pure Heroine
Cabaret Voltaire : Red Mecca over Mix-Up
Arca : Arca (2017 album) over Xen
King Krule : The Ooz (2017 album) over 6 Feet Beneath the Moon
Algiers : The Underside of Power (2017 album) over Algiers
Protomartyr : Relatives in Descent (2017 album) over The Agent Intellect
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

While checking out the top 6001-6096 songs section, for the first time it was quite heavy for me to load the top 10,000 songs page (at work). Do many of you have this problem?

I think it was the two long spotify lists that slowed down the process, which means that splitting the list into pieces, with for example 1000 songs on each page, wouldn't really solve the problem (as long as the spotify lists are still there). Loading the top 3000 albums page was much faster.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Henrik wrote:While checking out the top 6001-6096 songs section, for the first time it was quite heavy for me to load the top 10,000 songs page (at work). Do many of you have this problem?

I think it was the two long spotify lists that slowed down the process, which means that splitting the list into pieces, with for example 1000 songs on each page, wouldn't really solve the problem (as long as the spotify lists are still there). Loading the top 3000 albums page was much faster.
I just loaded it and it took 3 seconds. I think it's nice to have it on one page to make it easy to search for things.
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Listyguy wrote:A pair of albums fell out of the top 500 that would be very strong ModAcc contenders if somebody nominated them: "Lift Yr Skinny Fists" and "The ArchAndroid." The former has been outside of the top 500 before, but I can't personally recall it ever being nominated (but someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
I'm a bit late to the party but from what I can tell there are 6 new entries into the Top 500 and that of course means 6 are also leaving.

Entering:
188 Kendrick Lamar DAMN.
410 LCD Soundsystem American Dream
419 Lorde Melodrama
496 U2 The Unforgettable Fire
497 Small Faces Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake
499 David Bowie Aladdin Sane

Leaving:
501 Jackson Browne Late for the Sky
502 Godspeed You! Black Emperor Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
505 Solange A Seat at the Table
509 Janelle Monáe The ArchAndroid