The New Led Zeppelin

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

The New Led Zeppelin

Post by Hymie »

What do you guys think of the new Led Zeppelin?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

I like them!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: The New Led Zeppelin

Post by StevieFan13 »

I know that they are very hesitant to be called the new Led Zeppelin, but I do enjoy Highway Tune.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

StevieFan13 wrote:I know that they are very hesitant to be called the new Led Zeppelin, but I do enjoy Highway Tune.
I just watched their Austin City Limits show. They can really play, and Robert Plant says that they are Led Zeppelin I. Real young guys just getting going. He's jealous of their youth, wishing he could do it all over again.

There's some old clips of them just starting out like 4-5 years ago, doing Zep songs. The sound quality is not that good, and they have come a long way since then, but they have a big future.

And as far as them being accused of copying Zep, Led Zeppelin stole several songs from other acts and claimed to have written them themselves, losing laswsuits, etc.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I think they are meh. Not as bad as much of the press has tagged them, but still not very interesting.
It's OK to cover other bands, or to do homages but in their case it borders on mimicking without getting much of what made the band they love great in the first place. The singer is the worst offender on that aspect, he is aping Robert Plant's high pitched singing pretty much all the time, while Plant is was one tool among others.
But in the end, the real issue is that the songs are not memorable.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Nassim wrote: But in the end, the real issue is that the songs are not memorable.
Give them time to become better songwriters. There was nothing memorable on Led Zep I except for "Dazed And Confused" which they stole from Jake Holmes.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Nassim wrote:It's OK to cover other bands, or to do homages but in their case it borders on mimicking without getting much of what made the band they love great in the first place.
Oh, I think the 3 players are already very strong on their instruments. Yes, the singer is not very unique, but at this point, all these years after Zep broke up, there's a whole world of possible new fans who don't even know much, if anything, about Zep. Nobody had a problem with Janis Joplin aping several different black singers because most Joplin fans never heard of those black singers.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Hymie wrote:
Nassim wrote: But in the end, the real issue is that the songs are not memorable.
Give them time to become better songwriters. There was nothing memorable on Led Zep I except for "Dazed And Confused" which they stole from Jake Holmes.
I mean, it's one thing to support the growth of musicians whom, I agree, can technically compose music. But you're just digging yourself a hole here now, dude.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

They remind me more of Boston honestly.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I watched a lot of material digging into GVF for being a Led Zeppelin cover band without the covers. Maybe it's because I am not that familiar with Led Zeppelin's catalogue, but after listening to GVF a little, their lack of artistry and obsession with nostalgia seem forgivable. They aren't great songwriters yet, but I'm okay with them. Hopefully they eventually develop their own space, though.
Last edited by prosecutorgodot on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

prosecutorgodot wrote:I watched a lot of material digging into GVF as being a Led Zeppelin cover band without the covers.
They did plenty of Zep songs early on before they had any records out. Check out youtube videos. The quality of the sound is not that good, and they were not really polished and ready for the big time then, like 4-5 years ago.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

whuntva wrote:They remind me more of Boston honestly.
I don't hear that at all. The Boston lead singer had a much more melodic voice and they had very lush background vocals too.
GretaZepHolly
Superunknown

Post by GretaZepHolly »

Greta Van Fleet: yes, they sound a bit like their influences - so listen to them; Led Zep, Guns & Roses, Aerosmith. But a lot of bands through the decades sounded a bit like their influences. Rolling Stones plagiarised Chuck Berry, Zep: Cream, Willie Dixon, Queen: T-Rex, Zep, Whitesnake: Zep etc. etc. But the songs are good so listen to 'Highway Tune', 'Black Smoke Rising', 'Talk on the Street', 'Lover, Leaver (Taker, Believer)', 'Brave New World'. They sound nothing like Boston?! 'From the Fires' is a class album & 'Anthem of the Peaceful Army' is a grower. Give them a listen, you might find they're good!!! {1st Led Zep album is not just 'Dazed & Confused'! Try 'Communication Breakdown', 'Your Time Is Gonna Come' & 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You'!!}

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”