Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.9

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.9

Post by Brad »

Welcome to Round 1.9 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums!
We've gone through half the albums in the tournament - participation has been strong, let's keep it up!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = May 4th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=474290

Match-ups:
1. Florence + The Machine - Lungs vs. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow
2. Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator vs. Robert Fripp - Exposure
3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love vs. KARYYN - The Quanta Series
4. Bubu - Anabelas vs. The Fixx - Reach the Beach

Get higher, baby
And don't ever come down!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.9

Post by Listyguy »

Pretty strong week. I was considering nominating Exposure myself, I'm glad someone did!
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

1. Florence + The Machine - Lungs
2. Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator
3. Karyyn - The Quanta Series
4. The Fixx - Reach The Beach
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Have less time, so the comments will be shorter.

Florence + the Machine | Lungs (2009)

There was a time when I was listening to some of this band‘s songs quite a lot, namely „Shake It Out“ and „Spectrum“, but this was before I really started listening to albums, so I never checked out a full album. Listening to this, it turns out I should have, because this is really good.
Call me a victim of cheap emotional manipulation, but I have a fondness for songs that get louder and louder and end in a cathartic climax (just look at my EOY songs list last year). Florence + the Machine has a formula that works within in this framework, and it only works because Welch‘s voice is incredibly strong (there‘s a reason the band decided to call the album Lungs). The percussion propels the songs forward and progressively hits harder.
There‘s not a lot of variation of the formula (with „Kiss with a Fist“ being an outlier), but in this case I don‘t really care, because the songs still sound distinct and most of them work well on their own.
Highlights: „Dog Days Are Over“, „Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)“, „Drumming Song“, „Cosmic Love“, „You‘ve Got the Love“

The Pretty Things | S.F. Sorrow (1968)

I love narratives in music, be it in individual songs or as concept albums, so naturally I‘m predisposed to like this. It‘s interesting that a lot of the noteworthy rock operas from the ‚60s and ‚70s have a very similar story about a man whose childhood isn‘t particularly nice, then goes into some kind of magical spirit world and finds out about the hopelessness of life. Tommy, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and The Wall are very similar in this regard, but S.F. Sorrow seems to have been the first to tell this story.
The way the story is told is not very opera-like, which isn‘t entirely bad. It is pretty hard to tell your story just in songs without spoken word interludes like most musicals have them, so I don‘t mind them having the story connecting the songs spelled out in the booklet.
The sound is clearly the kind of psychedelic rock popular in the late ‚60s, which works really fine but also doesn‘t add much to the stuff other bands were doing. The melodies are often very catchy and upbeat, which contrasts a bit with the lyrics. They could have worked on this a bit more, so the two parts fit together better. But as it is, it is a successful experiment.
Highlights: „S.F. Sorrow Is Born“, „She Says Good Morning“, „Balloon Burning“, „The Journey“, „Old Man Going“

Hurray for the Riff Raff | The Navigator (2017)

I really do see the appeal of this, and I should like this in theory, but I don‘t. It‘s certainly not bad, but it all seems forced and unnatural. „Pa‘lante“ for example consists of different parts that don‘t go together well at all, instead it just feels like someone thought: „Let‘s make a song with different parts“. The combination of elements from different cultural traditions seems similarly forced.
I‘m not a fan of lyricists turning the subtext into text and I also have a large disdain for songs that try to be inspiring, so this didn‘t do much for me, though I really expected to like this.
Highlight: „Hungry Ghost“

Robert Fripp | Exposure (1989)

King Crimson is one of my favorite rock bands, and Fripp is an immensely talented guitarist. I‘ve just never had a chance to check out his solo work. This is really great, but it probably works better as an album than as a collection of songs. The order of the songs here is incredibly important and the way the songs flow into one another and create a unique mood is similar to a journey you‘re taking while listening to the album. There are tracks that only fulfill the task of setting the scene for a different track, the best example being the two parts of „Water Music“ surrounding „Here Comes the Flood“.
Fripp doesn‘t put himself in the center, so there‘s no extensive guitar soloing („Breathless“ is really the only track that can be put into that category). He teams up with a number of vocalists who all give their unique spin to their material. My favorites are Peter Hammill on „Disengage“ and Terre Roche on „Exposure“.
The result is a great album full of surprising turns, comprising a unique kind of journey.
Highlights: „Breathless“, „Disengage“, „NY3“, „Exposure“, „I May Not Have Had Enough of Me But I‘ve Had Enough of You“, „Here Comes the Flood“

Deafheaven | Ordinary Corrupt Human Love (2018)

If you‘d have told me five years ago I‘d enjoy listening to metal, I would have called you crazy, but I‘ve developed a real affinity for it since. I‘m not sure why I‘m putting this here, because this is only occasionally metal. Most of the time it sounds more like shoegaze with metal vocals but that‘s not exactly a bad thing. I do wish the vocals were mixed in a different way, because they are pretty good and get lost under the guitars (which are great). Not all the songs are good and some of them are too stretched-out, especially the opener. I also feel like it could have been better had they changed a few things, but overall I enjoyed it.
Highlights: „Honeycomb“, „Glint“, „Worthless Animal“

K Á R Y Y N | The Quanta Series (2019)

The cover looks like Holly Herndon‘s PROTO, released in the same year, but it sounds different. Both are Pop albums with electronic influences, but KARYYN (which is a bad name by the way) goes the ambient route, making her music less about songs and more about mood. This does work in some cases, but most of the time it just wanders aimlessly around. If the first three songs were spread around the album instead of the beginning, it would maybe gain some traction. As it is, it just falls flat for me.
Highlights: „PURGATORY“, „ALEPPO“

Bubu | Anabelas (1978)

The great thing about Progressive Rock is the sheer force of creativity behind it. It doesn‘t always work, but most of the time it‘s interesting and that‘s already a good thing. From its two members, two are especially important for the sound: Violinist Sergio Polizzi and flutist Cecilia Tenconi. Violin and flute give the songs character, while the more ‚conventional‘ instruments provide the foundation. The songs are rather long and feature a lot of things, but they lack a bit of progression. As I said above, I‘m a sucker for carthatic endings, and you won‘t find those here. But that‘s just a minor point, because this album is very good and so consistent, that I can‘t really name a highlight.

The Fixx | Reach the Beach (1983)

This failed to resonate with me. It just felt very shallow to me, so shallow in fact that I could hardly remember anything from it after listening to it.
Highlight: „Opinions“

4 | Florence + the Machine | Lungs vs. 3 | The Pretty Things | S.F. Sorrow
6 | Hurray for the Riff Raff | The Navigator vs. 1 | Robert Fripp | Exposure
5 | Deafheaven | Ordinary Corrupt Human Love vs. 7 | KARYYN | The Quanta Series
2 | Bubu | Anabelas vs. 8 | The Fixx | Reach the Beach
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

1. Florence + The Machine - Lungs
2. Robert Fripp - Exposure
3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

1. Florence + The Machine - Lungs 7 vs. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow 7
2. Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator 7 vs. Robert Fripp - Exposure 5
3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love 6 vs. KARYYN - The Quanta Series 6
4. Bubu - Anabelas 8 vs. The Fixx - Reach the Beach 10 (nostalgia)
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Florence + The Machine - Lungs
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

1. Florence + the Machine - Lungs v. 6. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow
2. Hurray for the Riff Raff - The Navigator v. 8. Robert Fripp - Exposure
3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love v. 5. KARYYN - The Quanta Series
4. Bubu - Anabelas v. 7. The Fixx - Reach the Beach

Standouts: Dog Days Are over | Balloon Burning | Rican Beach | I May Not Have Had Enough of Me... | Canary Yellow | AMBETS GORAV | El cortejo de un día amarillo | Priviledge
All I got inside is vacancy!
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

1. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow
2. Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator
4. Bubu - Anabelas
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:
Deafheaven = my favorite album of 2018 (and I wasn't the nominator!)

Thanks!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

SF Sorrow 87 - Lungs 83
The Navigator 83 - Exposure 79
The Quanta Series 91 - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love 79
Anebelas 81 - Reach The Beach 75
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

6 | Florence + The Machine | Lungs
2 | The Pretty Things | S.F. Sorrow

5 | Hurray For The Riff Raff | The Navigator
3 | Robert Fripp | Exposure

4 | Deafheaven | Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
7 | KARYYN | The Quanta Series

1 | Bubu | Anabelas
8 | The Fixx | Reach the Beach

Favourite song of the week: Bubu | El Cortejo de un día amarillo
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

In a week filled by experimental and prog(ressive) sounds let me choose one of the pioneers of these sounds, Robert Fripp with his first solo album, the second installment of a trilogy with "Peter Gabriel II" and Daryl Hall's "Sacred Songs," both produced by Fripp. Two pleasant suprises were The Pretty Things (a band that fell under my radar until recently with two excellent albums discovered thanks to this forum) and Deafheaven (I never thought I could like a metal album so much, or is this post-metal?).

7. Florence + The Machine - Lungs (2009) vs. 2. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow (1968)
4. Hurray for the Riff Raff - The Navigator (2017) vs. 1. Robert Fripp - Exposure (1979)
3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love (2018) vs. 6. Káryyn - The Quanta Series (2019)
5. Bubu - Anabelas (1978) vs. 8. The Fixx - Reach the Beach (1983)

Favourite song from every album:
Dog Days Are Over | S.F. Sorrow Is Born | Hungry Ghost | Exposure | Near | Ambets Gorav | El cortejo de un día amarillo | One Thing Leads to Another
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow
2. Robert Fripp - Exposure
4. Pass
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

1. Florence + The Machine - Lungs (7) vs. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow (9)
2. Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator (7) vs. Robert Fripp - Exposure (7)
3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love (8) vs. KARYYN - The Quanta Series (6)
4. Bubu - Anabelas (5) vs. The Fixx - Reach the Beach (6)
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

In retrospect, I do feel bad about nominating The Fixx. This is the first time I've nominated for MAA and I tried to find albums I thought many would enjoy. (Thankfully, for the most part, I have. Of my 3 other nominees, 2 advanced and 1 lost by a narrow margin.) The Fixx was a severe miscalculation, since this was an album I loved at the age of 12 and a very personal nominee. I would listen to it on an old Sony Walkman when I helped my mom clean offices at night in an all-glass building completely surrounded by woods. It was an exceedingly creepy setting, and songs like "Running," "Saved by Zero," and "The Sign of Fire" can really play havoc with a young kid's imagination when they're wondering who (or what) may be watching from the dark forest. Of course, who in the world would be able to connect with this without the same childhood experience? And I also knew that keyboard-oriented '80's New Wave is not a forum favorite. (Okay, there's Moonbeam, but he doesn't usually participate in MAA.) If I ever do nominate again, I'll do better and avoid such purely personal nominees. (At least, I knew better than to nominate something by Nightwish or Rebecca St. James, so I can take solace in the fact I spared you all that!)
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Florence + The Machine - Lungs
Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator
KARYYN - The Quanta Series
Bubu - Anabelas
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

18 hours left to vote!
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Lungs > S.F. Sorrow
The Navigator > Exposure
Ordinary Corrupt Human Love > The Quanta Series
Anabelas < Reach the Beach
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

So The Navigator is one of my nominations, so some words on why I love it.

The appeal of the album is rather simple to explain, as group leader Alynda Mariposa Segarra isn't very unclear about what she wants to say. I don't think Schüttelbirne's criticism that this album makes subtext into text is very fair, as this is a protest album of sorts and protest music by its very purpose doesn't exactly thrive on subtext. The Navigator is about the exploitation and displacement of Puerto Ricans and Segarra wants you to know this. What makes a good protest album instead of a bad one isn't subtext, but scene setting and detail. And there the album does shine.

Segarra's lyrics skip between personal (Life to Save, Nothing's Gonna Change That Girl, Fourteen Floors) and the communal (Living in the City, Fourteen Floors, Rican Beach) experience. In this way the songs never become too generalized, nor too individual. On two of the most powerful songs, Segarra combines the personal and the communal and turns into something more spiritual, prophetic even: The Navigator and Pa'lante. On that last song she actually moves from the personal to the communal in one track. In contrast to again Schüttelbirne I don't think it is a forced pasting together of two songs, but I think the radio-like bridge is essential to the whole message. The album feels like a hard-earned plea for Puerto Rican dignity and tries to offer some hope in bleak times (this is very clearly a Trump-era album). The music that accompanies this is folky, but never feels traditionalist or predictable.

On a side-note, I saw Hurray for the Riff Raff live during their tour for this album. It was a very impressive concert, almost Bruce Springsteen-like in power and character. It felt like a communal exorcism, no matter that probably nobody in the audience was from Puerto Rico (as this was in The Netherlands). I highly recommend trying to catch them if you ever have the chance.

I also hope we get another album from them in the near future.

6. Florence + The Machine - Lungs vs. 5. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow
Lungs is hard one to judge. Musically it is pretty great and at times Florence gives some great vocals. At other times though she just gives into loud yelling that I grow weary of very soon. She belongs to a group of singers, see also Aretha Franklin and Freddy Mercury, who new a little too well how powerful their voice was and sometimes tire me out with proving it. In general people love that stuff though and I should say I have a very, very low tolerance for yelling people in general.

1. Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator vs. 2. Robert Fripp - Exposure
Too bad that once again my choice is against a massive enemy.

3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love vs. 7. KARYYN - The Quanta Series
Damn, much of Ordinary Corrupt Human Love is so great that it could have even beat The Navigator as album of the week for me, but those grunting vocals... I can't take anyone serious who sings that way. People who sing like orcs just make me laugh. It is a general problem with the genre, that I otherwise would probably listen to a lot more, because instrumentally it hits a sweet spot. Luckily this isn't too much of a vocal album.

4. Bubu - Anabelas vs. 8. The Fixx - Reach the Beach
Anabelas is very good prog. Great discovery.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

jamieW wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:02 pm In retrospect, I do feel bad about nominating The Fixx. This is the first time I've nominated for MAA and I tried to find albums I thought many would enjoy. (Thankfully, for the most part, I have. Of my 3 other nominees, 2 advanced and 1 lost by a narrow margin.) The Fixx was a severe miscalculation, since this was an album I loved at the age of 12 and a very personal nominee. I would listen to it on an old Sony Walkman when I helped my mom clean offices at night in an all-glass building completely surrounded by woods. It was an exceedingly creepy setting, and songs like "Running," "Saved by Zero," and "The Sign of Fire" can really play havoc with a young kid's imagination when they're wondering who (or what) may be watching from the dark forest. Of course, who in the world would be able to connect with this without the same childhood experience? And I also knew that keyboard-oriented '80's New Wave is not a forum favorite. (Okay, there's Moonbeam, but he doesn't usually participate in MAA.) If I ever do nominate again, I'll do better and avoid such purely personal nominees. (At least, I knew better than to nominate something by Nightwish or Rebecca St. James, so I can take solace in the fact I spared you all that!)
I'm always sad to read such things. No, I didn't care for The Fixx either, but I would always encourage people to go more with their own tastes instead of what you expect people to like. It just makes for a more diverse competition. And you never know if your album will reach someone who loves it, even if it doesn't win. So let those Rebecca St. James albums come!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Rob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 amSo let those Rebecca St. James albums come!
Careful what you wish for, Rob! :mrgreen:

But you do bring up a great point. As someone who loves all genres of music, both good and "bad", if someone nominated an album that lost 30-2 but really connected with me and became a personal favorite, the fact that it lost would probably be the least of my concerns. I'd just be happy to have discovered it. (I'm actually always a little surprised that there aren't more people in the forum who love "acclaimed" music, but also have unacclaimed pop music from their youth that ranks really highly on their lists due to the nostalgia/memories. I often wonder, "Did others just grow out of it, or am I the only one who didn't exit the birth canal listening to Dylan & The Beatles?")
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Rob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am
jamieW wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:02 pm In retrospect, I do feel bad about nominating The Fixx.
I'm always sad to read such things. No, I didn't care for The Fixx either, but I would always encourage people to go more with their own tastes instead of what you expect people to like. It just makes for a more diverse competition. And you never know if your album will reach someone who loves it, even if it doesn't win. So let those Rebecca St. James albums come!
Totally agree. Go with what you love - that, to me, is the whole point of this game!
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

I had no time to listen to the fourth lineup, sorry
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Brad wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:12 pm
Rob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am
jamieW wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:02 pm In retrospect, I do feel bad about nominating The Fixx.
Totally agree. Go with what you love - that, to me, is the whole point of this game!
Right on Brad! :banana-guitar: :banana-dreads:
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

19 total voters this week:
acroamor
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
hectorthebat
Honorio
jaimeW
Jirin
Listyguy
Madzong
mileswide
Rdwdbob
Rob
Romain
rumpdoll
Safetycat
Schüttelbirne
spiritualized

Winners:
1. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow over Florence + The Machine - Lungs 11-8
2. Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator over Robert Fripp - Exposure 10-8
3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love vs. KARYYN - The Quanta Series 14-4
4. Bubu - Anabelas vs. The Fixx - Reach the Beach 11-4

Round 1.10 up next!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Huh, I thought The Navigator was going to lose this one. Happy to have a nomination of mine go to round two, even if it cost us another good entry.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Barcelona FC defeated Valencia CF.
The conservative party is winning the elections in Madrid.
And my nomination ("Exposure") has been eliminated in round 1.
What else can happen today? Zombie apocalypse??
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Honorio wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:13 pm Barcelona FC defeated Valencia CF.
The conservative party is winning the elections in Madrid.
And my nomination ("Exposure") has been eliminated in round 1.
What else can happen today? Zombie apocalypse??
A bummer of a day, my friend. :angry-banghead:

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”