Full of Fire

Re: Biggest Fan Songs - May 2021

Post by spiritualized »

856. The Bats - Boogey Man - 9
857. Lô Borges - O trem azul - 7
858. Arne Domnerus & Gunnar Svensson - Karl-Bertil Jonssons julafton - 5
859. Gang Gang Dance - Princes - 7
860. Roy Brown - Good Rocking Man - 7
861. Bright Eyes - Old Soul Song (For the New World Order) - 6.
862. Barbara Manning – Smoking Her Wings - 5. I don't see how this is better than the original, sorry. She's on the verge of singing off-key, going too low and should aim for a higher octave. The song is great though, like most of the Bats' songs
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

862. Barbara Manning | "Smoking Her Wings": 6/10
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Barbara Manning – Smoking Her Wings: 7
I only heard the Bats original once, but from first glance I prefer this one. The voice isn't mixed in the whole greatly, which holds it back somewhat, but the guitar and the bass are very strong here, creating a better atmosphere. An atmosphere that suits Manning's voice otherwise.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I actually thought for a minute that this one came from my list, but apparently I didn’t have it in my top 1000, so it’s Depeche Mode’s second entry this week instead.

863. Wild Beasts – All the King’s Men
Year: 2009
Album: Two Dancers
Biggest Fan: Depeche Mode (#180)

Don’t forget you can always vote for earlier songs or change your vote!
LunarPiper
Different Class

Post by LunarPiper »

863. Wild Beasts – All the King’s Men: 7.5
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:05 am I actually thought for a minute that this one came from my list, but apparently I didn’t have it in my top 1000, so it’s Depeche Mode’s second entry this week instead.

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:05 am863. Wild Beasts – All the King’s Men
The music is pretty good, but the vocalist can't sing.

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Hymie wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:10 pm
Rob wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:05 am I actually thought for a minute that this one came from my list, but apparently I didn’t have it in my top 1000, so it’s Depeche Mode’s second entry this week instead.

You did not put the song in the Spotify playlist.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Hymie wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:12 pm You did not put the song in the Spotify playlist.
I did put it on Spotify, but apparently a little too quickly as it ended at the bottom of the playlist. I fixed it.

Wild Beasts – All the King’s Men: 8
It's odd to say this singer can't sing. The vocal histrionics can perhaps not be your taste, but it is on point. It feels like a strange kind of glam music for me; very playful and memorable.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

863. Wild Beasts - All the King's Men: 6/10
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:46 pm It's odd to say this singer can't sing.
I don't think so. Like most of these modern rock guys he sings in a horrible monotone. You'd see what I mean if he tried to sing a standard like "Heart And Soul" or "I Only Have Eyes For You."
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

862. Barbara Manning – Smoking Her Wings - 5
863. Wild Beasts – All the King’s Men - 9
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

864. Boyz II Men – Water Runs Dry
Year: 1994
Album: II
Biggest Fan: Neil (#636)

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:36 am864. Boyz II Men – Water Runs Dry
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Boyz II Men – Water Runs Dry: 5
I know I must have heard this group back in the day. Their band name I have heard mentioned many times. But for the love of me I can't remember any of their songs. Water Runs Dry might give a hint why. It isn't bad so much as dull.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Wezzo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:06 am 861. Bright Eyes – Old Soul Song (for the New World Order)
I'm missing your vote for The Things We Do for Love still.
spiritualized wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:55 pm 856. The Bats - Boogey Man
It seems you never voted for the four songs preceding this, from People Need Love until The Things We Do for Love.
LunarPiper
Different Class

Post by LunarPiper »

864. Boyz II Men – Water Runs Dry: 5.5
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

864. Boyz II Men | "Water Runs Dry": 4/10
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:01 pm Boyz II Men – Water Runs Dry: 5
I know I must have heard this group back in the day. Their band name I have heard mentioned many times. But for the love of me I can't remember any of their songs. Water Runs Dry might give a hint why. It isn't bad so much as dull.
"End Of The Road" was number one in the US for 13 weeks, and they had to other hits that were number one for even longer here, including one with Mariah Carey.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Today another Hymie. It is bubbling under on AM.

865. Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush
Year: 1953
Released as a single
Biggest Fan: Hymie (#36)

Wezzo
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Wezzo »

855. 10cc – The Things We Do for Love - 7 (thank you for pointing out I missed this Rob)

863. Wild Beasts – All the King’s Men - 7.5
864. Boyz II Men – Water Runs Dry - 6
865. Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush - 5
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:19 am865. Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush
A pleasant surprise this morning.

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

862. Barbara Manning - Smoking Her Wings: 7.25
863. Wild Beasts – All the King’s Men: 7
864. Boyz II Men – Water Runs Dry: 3
865. Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush: 8 (#6597 on my AT list)

Thanks!
LunarPiper
Different Class

Post by LunarPiper »

865. Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush: :?

The baseball bat line somehow went over my head upon first listen and to me it does add unfortunate meaning beyond asking someone to be quiet.
Last edited by LunarPiper on Wed May 26, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush: 3

I'm being generous, because I can't deny that if it was just the music with the same voice singing different lyrics I would have liked it. As it is though, I don't have time for a guy insulting, demeaning and even violently threatening his wife simply because she talks. You could say that this is light-hearted or that the lyrics are comedy, but that makes it only worse. Domestic violence isn't a good joke. Not now, not in 1953 and not ever.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

865. Big Joe Turner | "Honey Hush": 4/10
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:41 pm Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush: 3

I'm being generous, because I can't deny that if it was just the music with the same voice singing different lyrics I would have liked it. As it is though, I don't have time for a guy insulting, demeaning and even violently threatening his wife simply because she talks. You could say that this is light-hearted or that the lyrics are comedy, but that makes it only worse. Domestic violence isn't a good joke. Not now, not in 1953 and not ever.
Stop wasting your time listening to what the lyrics mean and just enjoy the awesome voice, groove and musicianship.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:41 pm Domestic violence isn't a good joke. Not now, not in 1953 and not ever.
I guess you are not a "Honeymooners" fan.

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

My girlfriend commented on this post:

All together now, one two three: YOU CAN NOT JUDGE A WORK OF ART MADE IN THE PAST BY THE MORAL STANDARDS OF TODAY. Domestic violence *was* a good joke in 1953. My mother used to slap me around *in the street, in front of neighbors and strangers alike*, in 1953 and no one would have thought of reporting her. It wasn't something everybody did, but it wasn't completely unacceptable, much less criminal. Obviously this is not the case today. Moral standards change. Ted Cruz is under fire for tweeting an anti-gay slur ("pansies"), and rightfully so. But go back 40 years or so and no one would have blinked an eye if he said it on TV. You should get Rob to listen to "Big Bruce" to get a sense of what was socially acceptable years ago.

"Big Bruce" was a chart hit in the US in 1969.

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

On "Honey Hush" the counter melody played by the trombone is incredible.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

The second appearance by Danny & the Champions of the World.

866. Danny & the Champions of the World – (Never Stop Building) That Old Space Rocket
Year: 2013
Album: Stay True
Biggest Fan: Wezzo (#487)

Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

864. Boyz II Men – Water Runs Dry - 4
B2M are kind of boring, I only really like I'll Make Love to You

865. Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush - 6
It's just Shake Rattle and Roll with worse lyrics. Also here's some more actual historical context on domestic violence at the time of this recording. I'm not going to reply about this myself but it might be useful reading, specifically the two top level comments.

866. Danny & the Champions of the World – (Never Stop Building) That Old Space Rocket - 6
Wezzo
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Wezzo »

866. Danny & the Champions of the World – (Never Stop Building) That Old Space Rocket - 10 [from my list]
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Safetycat wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:46 am865. Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush - 6
It's just Shake Rattle and Roll with worse lyrics.
It's not even close to "Shake, Rattle And Roll" in structure or tempo, and besides, it's from BEFORE "Shake, Rattle And Roll."
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:58 am866. Danny & the Champions of the World – (Never Stop Building) That Old Space Rocket
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Hymie wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Stop wasting your time listening to what the lyrics mean and just enjoy the awesome voice, groove and musicianship.
Well no, that is not how it works for me. When I hear words I can understand I can not just stop hearing them. That is not how my senses work.

The Honeymooners clip is interesting in combination with Honey Hush. I have never seen the show, but knowing sitcoms I feel that this is one of those comedy marriages were the couple are frequently exasperated with each other. His threat to her is absurd and unrealistic and a way of venting off steam. Typically, these types of shows keep confirming that beneath the bluster, the husband actually loves his wife very much.

I did actually think that this was what Big Joe Turner was going for, but the lyrics don't pull it off for several reasons. First, there is no hint of tenderness. As far as we know the husband in the song completely hates his wife. He curses her ("alley-cat") and orders her to go to the kitchen. Secondly, his threat of violence is not nonsensical, but he actually threatens her with a baseball bat. It's something he could actually do and I think he wouldn't be the first husband to do so. It is why the argument that we have to put it in its time isn't as effective for me in this case. This isn't a case of ignorance but of cruelty. Not many old songs I know seem to be about domestic abuse, because as far as I know it was never looked on favorably.

And just to be clear, this is just my opinion. I don't ask you to suddenly dislike the song. I'm not calling for it to be censored, nor for the cancellation of Big Joe Turner. Your high vote and those of others in the Biggest Fan tally still stand. I'd rather listen to other Big Joe Turner songs.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:53 pm Well no, that is not how it works for me. When I hear words I can understand I can not just stop hearing them. That is not how my senses work.
I am the exact opposite. I never care what the words mean. They are just phonetics to me. The voice is just an instrument that blends in with the other instruments. I have huge favorites where I could not even tell you what they are about unless i purposely sat down and studied the lyrics first.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

866. Danny & the Champions of the World | "(Never Stop Building) That Old Space Rocket": 5/10
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Danny & the Champions of the World – (Never Stop Building) That Old Space Rocket: 7
Pretty good. Strong melody with some fine country tones.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:53 pm
Hymie wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Well no, that is not how it works for me. When I hear words I can understand I can not just stop hearing them. That is not how my senses work.

The Honeymooners clip is interesting in combination with Honey Hush. I have never seen the show, but knowing sitcoms I feel that this is one of those comedy marriages were the couple are frequently exasperated with each other. His threat to her is absurd and unrealistic and a way of venting off steam. Typically, these types of shows keep confirming that beneath the bluster, the husband actually loves his wife very much.

I did actually think that this was what Big Joe Turner was going for, but the lyrics don't pull it off for several reasons. First, there is no hint of tenderness. As far as we know the husband in the song completely hates his wife. He curses her ("alley-cat") and orders her to go to the kitchen. Secondly, his threat of violence is not nonsensical, but he actually threatens her with a baseball bat. It's something he could actually do and I think he wouldn't be the first husband to do so. It is why the argument that we have to put it in its time isn't as effective for me in this case. This isn't a case of ignorance but of cruelty. Not many old songs I know seem to be about domestic abuse, because as far as I know it was never looked on favorably.

And just to be clear, this is just my opinion. I don't ask you to suddenly dislike the song. I'm not calling for it to be censored, nor for the cancellation of Big Joe Turner. Your high vote and those of others in the Biggest Fan tally still stand. I'd rather listen to other Big Joe Turner songs.
Diane responded to this:

Wow, does he have a lot to learn. Sounds like he's one of those young people Bill Maher talks about--"If it didn't happen in my lifetime, it didn't happen."

Does he know that until the late 1970s there was "no such thing as rape in marriage?" Forcible, violent, nonconsensual sex was perfectly legal as long as the victim was married to the perpetrator. Even if they were legally separated. And it could not be used as a cause for divorce either. Oh yes, there was no such thing as no-fault divorce back then, either.

People who want to go back to the good old days conveniently forget all this, among other things. But that's old people like me. Rob just doesn't know the history.
LunarPiper
Different Class

Post by LunarPiper »

866. Danny & the Champions of the World – (Never Stop Building) That Old Space Rocket: 6
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

I have a feeling that if Big Joe Turner was singing about raping his wife instead of beating her with a baseball bat, Rob wouldn't raise his rating from a 3, and I don't think that means he has a lot to learn.

Like Rob said, he's not trying to cancel him. I agree with you, Hymie, that historical context is important when judging older figures... I'm not going to go delete Shake, Rattle and Roll from my library because Big Joe Turner said something objectionable here, but it can still be hard to tune out lyrics like that even when taking that context into account... And even with the context, being slapped around is different than being beaten up with a baseball bat. I can't imagine that was ever acceptable (I know he only threatens, but still).

I'm much more into the music/melody than the lyrics in general, and it's true for me as well that I don't know what plenty of my favorite songs are about. But few of us have your ability to tune out the words completely. I like the music to Honey Hush, but the lyrics are jarring enough that I'm giving it a 5.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

865. Big Joe Turner – Honey Hush: 2
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Hymie wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:04 pm It's not even close to "Shake, Rattle And Roll" in structure or tempo...
I'm being reductive for a quip; they have similarities. A Wikipedia editor (or the writer who's referenced for the paragraph) seems to think they're similar too: "A year later, in 1954, a Turner song very similar to this one, "Shake, Rattle and Roll,"..."
Hymie wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:04 pm , and besides, it's from BEFORE "Shake, Rattle And Roll."
I don't understand your point, a song can sound like another one if it was made before it.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

The fourth Beach Boys song to appear here and finally one with a Summer theme (although it is still Spring).

867. The Beach Boys - Hawaii
Year: 1963
Album: Surfer Girl
Biggest Fan: andyramones1234 (#34)

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Hymie wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:54 pm
Diane responded to this:

Wow, does he have a lot to learn. Sounds like he's one of those young people Bill Maher talks about--"If it didn't happen in my lifetime, it didn't happen."

Does he know that until the late 1970s there was "no such thing as rape in marriage?" Forcible, violent, nonconsensual sex was perfectly legal as long as the victim was married to the perpetrator. Even if they were legally separated. And it could not be used as a cause for divorce either. Oh yes, there was no such thing as no-fault divorce back then, either.

People who want to go back to the good old days conveniently forget all this, among other things. But that's old people like me. Rob just doesn't know the history.
I am very familiar with all this, but I fail to see why it would have to make me appreciate Honey Hush more. Knowing the violent and demeaning history of marriage only makes the song more creepy as Turner's threats are all the more real. I can't fault anyone for not going beyond the standards of their time, but that also doesn't mean I have to celebrate a song about domestic abuse as a joke. It just isn't my kind of entertainment.
Wezzo
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Wezzo »

867. The Beach Boys - Hawaii - 7.5
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Safetycat wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:44 am
Hymie wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:04 pm It's not even close to "Shake, Rattle And Roll" in structure or tempo...
I'm being reductive for a quip; they have similarities. A Wikipedia editor (or the writer who's referenced for the paragraph) seems to think they're similar too: "A year later, in 1954, a Turner song very similar to this one, "Shake, Rattle and Roll,"..."
Hymie wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:04 pm , and besides, it's from BEFORE "Shake, Rattle And Roll."
I don't understand your point, a song can sound like another one if it was made before it.
It should be that the later record sounds like the earlier record, not the other way around.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:04 am867. The Beach Boys - Hawaii
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:11 am I am very familiar with all this, but I fail to see why it would have to make me appreciate Honey Hush more. Knowing the violent and demeaning history of marriage only makes the song more creepy as Turner's threats are all the more real. I can't fault anyone for not going beyond the standards of their time, but that also doesn't mean I have to celebrate a song about domestic abuse as a joke. It just isn't my kind of entertainment.
I suppose you won't "celebrate" this 1907 hit either:

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”