Casual Music Hobbies Discussion Thread

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Casual Music Hobbies Discussion Thread

Post by Jirin »

We all love music and discussing the product of professional musicians. But how many people play or write for fun in their spare time?

I learned some guitar maybe a decade ago, let my skills lapse and just a week ago picked the guitar back up using justinguitar.com.

For this time I’ve been gradually throwing songs together in my head and just now started figuring out music to them. (Turns out, I think in G major.). Also I have both family and friends pushing me to get back into guitar to play together.

Anyone else play or song write in their spare time without any prospect of it being an income source?
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Re: Casual Music Hobbies Discussion Thread

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

I have been making music for the past like 6 or 7 years. I have promoted a bit here but I am far from professional. Making music brings out the best in me.
Edre the Depeche Head
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Re: Casual Music Hobbies Discussion Thread

Post by acroamor »

I've been a hobbyist musician for most of my life, playing guitar, sax, and drums, as well as tinkering with keys, bass, and some more "novelty" instruments like accordion or xun. I've made some strides at turning it into an income source, with one notable success so far:

I handled all the scoring - composing, playing, recording, and mixing the soundtrack to this movie, which sadly just left Netflix, but is still available on Hoopla for anyone interested. I've also scored two features I've done myself, and a handle of short films, but always looking for new projects! I've also been kicking around the plans for a first proper studio album, hopefully I can get a handle on that later this year.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”