The Shuffle Game - Season 4 starting, get your lists ! (6 players minimum)

Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - S3E2 - Spiritualized's list

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

1. The Beatles - A Day In The Life
2. The Beatles - I'll Be Back
3. Metronomy - Corinne
4. Primal Scream - Shoot Speed / Kill Light
5. R.E.M. - Fall On Me
6. Yo La Tengo - Don't Say A Word (Hot Chicken #2)
7. Lisa Germano - A Guy Like You
8. Limp Bizkit - 9 Teen 90 Nine
9. Linkin Park - One Step Closer
10. Rollerskate Skinny - Bella
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Metronomy - Corinne (9)
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of interest in "Corinne". Metronomy's The English Riviera is one hell of a great album. This song is a good example why : Groovy bassline, a really infectious keyboard and a chorus which is so memorable I can't shake it out my head, the interplay between the guy and the girl singing has always been a favourite feature for me. The guitar on the bridge, augmented by the swooshing keyboards, is taking us nicely into the second part of the song. Definitely a highlight.

The Beatles - A Day In The Life (8)
Of course a great classic, the last song on the best Beatles album. Everything gels, the piano, the gentle acoustic guitar.

Primal Scream - Shoot Speed / Kill Light (8)
The chameleons that Bobby Gillespie and his band are striked again with XTRMNTR. Gone are the early days of C86 pop, the baggy trousers and rave leanings of Screamadelica, the blues rock of Jailbird, they teamed up with an elusive Kevin Shields in tow to lay this monster of an album - this is the final song (another one !). Very agressive, political, harsh, it only proved that Gillespie was not afraid to take risks.
To be noted : this album was the last ever for the Creation record label (an ever so fine stable of fantastic records)

Yo La Tengo - Don't Say A Word (Hot Chicken #2) (8)
A sleepy number from the Tengo, beautiful singing from Georgia Hubley, this is miles from the angry music further down below. I love the fact that YLT is deep rooted in folksy songs but like to make some noise at times. Their 1990s albums are a testimony to this.

Rollerskate Skinny - Bella (7)
A droning little song with a short looped guitar and dreamy singing. I don't know what attracted me to Rollerskate Skinny in the first place, but they hold a dear place in my heart. The song is more an interlude than a properly formed one.

R.E.M. - Fall On Me (7)
The good side of the 80s. Less jangly than their earlier stuff, almost a duet between Mills & Stipe.

The Beatles - I'll Be Back (7)
Earlier Beatles still takes the cake. Another good closer for the Fab Four. Apparently, Lennon got inspired by Del Shannon's Runaway for the chords of this song.

Linkin Park - One Step Closer (7)
One of the big hits from the nu-metal genre, I still find it good. The downbeaten, angry feeling is quite well reproduced here, the play between the heavy guitars and the DJ scratching is done better than Limp Bizkit ever did. A angst-ridden anthem for the 2000s, although I was no teenager then !

Limp Bizkit - 9 Teen 90 Nine (6)
One of the LB better songs and I'm sorry, but this is definitely NOT terrible. One can moan and be grumpy about Fred Durst, but in the right environment, this is good stuff. Wes Borland has the power this genre needs, the drumming is really quite OK. I do appreciate the quiet/loud structure of the song. Granted, FD can't sing for shit, but the teenager is me is still appreciating this.

Lisa Germano - A Guy Like You (6)
A bit of an underwhelming song from the sultry Germano's best album, on the 4AD stable. Typical singer/songwriter stuff, but the rest of the album is far darker than this little acoustic number. The lady has been everywhere though...featuring her virtuoso qualities on the violin, she was part of Simple Minds for 5 years, played on Eels albums, David Bowie's Heathen, Sheryl Crow, Iggy Pop, John Mellencamp, the list is big.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Here are the results for my 3rd Shuffle :

Limp Bizkit - 9 Teen 90 Nine (-49)
Linkin Park - One Step Closer (-46)
Lisa Germano - A Guy Like You (-33)
Rollerskate Skinny - Bella (-24)
Metronomy - Corinne (-17)
Yo La Tengo - Don't Say A Word (Hot Chicken #2) (-16)
The Beatles - I'll Be Back (-11)
R.E.M. - Fall On Me (-4)
Primal Scream - Shoot Speed / Kill Light (-3)
The Beatles - A Day In The Life (3)

Yeah ! got my prediction right
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

It's Mileswide's time !

Waze feat. FABER - Games
Luke Abbott - River Flow
Jackie McLean & Michael Carvin - Antiquity: The hunter and his game
Terri Lyne Carrington & Social Science feat. Rapsody - The Anthem
Ike & Tina Turner - Bold Soul Sister
The Beths - Out of Sight
They Hate Change - Ozone
Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour, autant de fleurs
Fleetwood Mac - Not That Funny
Bomba - Kilumba dia ngola

mileswide
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - S3E3 - Mileswide's list

Post by mileswide »

I want to see all your most honest opinions/scores for my round, don't hold back! None of these all AT contenders but I still firmly get a lot out of them, so they merit descending degrees of 8/10 from me:

1. Ike & Tina Turner - Bold Soul Sister

2. They Hate Change - Ozone: It wouldn't be me without some DnB but hearing American accents rapping over it makes it feel reinvigorated, I hope they can build on last year's tight EP.

3. Luke Abbott - River Flow: I have TheLastEnemy to thank for this, I'm sure it was this song he played on his Thursday radio show. The rest of the album is composed of similarly brainy electronics with subtle washes of sound from more organic sources.

4. The Beths - Out of Sight: These lot need no introduction to AMF but the version on the Auckland 2020 live album may even outstrip the the studio recording.

5. Fleetwood Mac - Not That Funny: Another appearance here after its showing in Biggest Fan where no one was more elated to see it crop up than me!

6. Bomba - Kilumba dia ngola: One of the many nuggets that Jackson's Non-Anglophone poll has opened my ears to.

7. Terri Lyne Carrington & Social Science feat. Rapsody - The Anthem
8. Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour, autant de fleurs
9. Jackie McLean & Michael Carvin - Antiquity: The hunter and his game

10. Waze feat. FABER - Games: Handbag house par excellence!
All I got inside is vacancy!
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

The Beths - Out of Sight
They Hate Change - Ozone
Jackie McLean & Michael Carvin - Antiquity: The hunter and his game
Terri Lyne Carrington & Social Science feat. Rapsody - The Anthem
Bomba - Kilumba dia ngola
Luke Abbott - River Flow
Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour, autant de fleurs
Waze feat. FABER - Games
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

1. Ike & Tina Turner - Bold Soul Sister: This song just jumps
2. Terri Lyne Carrington & Social Science feat. Rapsody - The Anthem: sweet!
3. Fleetwood Mac - Not That Funny: I have a strange liking for this tune, an oddity (in my mind)
4. Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour, autant de fleurs: great, classic sound, suave
5. Jackie McLean & Michael Carvin - Antiquity: The hunter and his game: Wow - this is good!
6. The Beths - Out of Sight: I don't dislike The Beths, but think they might be a bit overrated on these boards; still, a good track
7. Luke Abbott - River Flow: smooth electronica… nice!
8. Bomba - Kilumba dia ngola: interesting - I suspect there may be better tracks by this artist though
9. They Hate Change - Ozone: Can't relate, though some cool beats
10. Waze feat. FABER - Games: Can't get into this at all

Thanks!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Excellent shuffle, mileswide.
Even if I didn't like everything, I love its scope and variety. IDM, alt rock, funk, free jazz, Angolan folk...I thought I had varied taste, but you trump me easily here.

The Beths - Out of Sight (8)
I couldn't not put this first. Alternative rock, power chords, good tunes and fun. Great album, very good song.

Ike & Tina Turner - Bold Soul Sister (7)
After Marva Whitney's praise you gave on Biggest Fan (Album), I am not surprised anymore. This is in the same vein, a very funky and groovy tune, with the added benefit of lacking the shrieks of Whitney.

Terri Lyne Carrington & Social Science feat. Rapsody - The Anthem (7)
I'm not into this kind of jazz poetry usually, as the "singer" tends to overdo it. Not the case here, the music is at the forefront. It's jazzy, but not strictly jazz as the guitar and bass tend to have a more "rock" structure. "Waiting Game" in general, in spite of running for almost 2 hours, is quite good.

Fleetwood Mac - Not That Funny (6)
Surprisingly upbeat and rocking for Fleetwood Mac, who I envisaged playing a far more mellow affair. Quite like it...and I know I should like Tusk more, but haven't listened enough of it.

Luke Abbott - River Flow (6)
Decent droning ambient techno, it's a bit too much on the short side to have a true picture of what Abbott's capable of. But based on this, it's worth investigating

Bomba - Kilumba dia ngola (5)
World music at its finest... A bit of Spanish guitar and African drums, I can't really pinpoint where this is coming from, just based on the music. It's a bit repetitive on the chorus, though. (edit: from Angola...not surprised at the Latin influence, then...)

Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour, autant de fleurs (5)
Ferrat has suffered from stigma linked to his political views (he was close to the Communist party in its heyday). Musically however, this is jolly and fun, inoffensive and upbeat. I've never been a big fan of my own country's "chansonniers" (Léo Ferré, Serge Reggiani, Brassens), preferring a good Anglo-Saxon rocker to my fellow citizens. Ferrat falls into this category.

They Hate Change - Ozone (4)
This is not really DnB to my liking, too much hip hop, not enough jazz licks, augmented by ultra fast drum beats.

Jackie McLean & Michael Carvin - Antiquity: The hunter and his game (4)
Jazz can be awesome and can be ear-hurting. There are extreme examples (Anthony Braxton springs to mind) which I will tend to stay away from. In this case, this is too improvised, free for me. I can't hook to a single musical phrase, too messy and disjointed. I, as always, appreciate the technical prowess, but this is not enough on its own.

Waze feat. FABER - Games (2)
Yuck, it seems that your prediction is going to be prophetised. The house beats are OK-ish but the keyboards sound so very 90s. Faber's voice is not to my liking either, not soulful enough. Fortunately it's short, I can't imagine having 6 or so minutes of below-the-grade house music.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Brad wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:42 pm 6. The Beths - Out of Sight: I don't dislike The Beths, but think they might be a bit overrated on these boards
I find them really endearing and hooky but I can imagine some people not seeing what the hype's about, they don't exactly break new ground.
spiritualized wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:43 pm Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour, autant de fleurs (5)
Ferrat has suffered from stigma linked to his political views (he was close to the Communist party in its heyday).
I never knew that and, like you say, nothing of what I've heard of his music hints at such rebellion- I'd have expected the more political likes of Brassens, Vian or Dutronc to turn out to be Communist sympathisers over Ferrat (ok, JD is hardly Pete Seeger in his views but L'Opportuniste is pretty dismissive of mainstream politics).

Move onto Brad's list if you like, spiritualized, I want an excuse to hear a live version of the finest Dylan song anyway!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

mileswide wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:01 pm Move onto Brad's list if you like, spiritualized, I want an excuse to hear a live version of the finest Dylan song anyway!
Before we do that, let's call the last players !!

Edre Peraza wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:33 pm
Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:38 pm
Safetycat wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:54 am
Guys, please submit your rankings !
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

1. Waze feat. FABER - Games
2. Ike & Tina Turner - Bold Soul Sister
3. Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour, autant de fleurs
4. Bomba - Kilumba dia ngola
5. The Beths - Out of Sight
6. Fleetwood Mac - Not That Funny
7. They Hate Change - Ozone
8. Terri Lyne Carrington & Social Science feat. Rapsody - The Anthem
9. Jackie McLean & Michael Carvin - Antiquity: The hunter and his game
10. Luke Abbott - River Flow

Hey man, I love garage house.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Sorry for the delay!

Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour, autant de fleurs - 8
Ike & Tina Turner - Bold Soul Sister - 8
The Beths - Out of Sight - 7
Terri Lyne Carrington & Social Science feat. Rapsody - The Anthem - 7
Bomba - Kilumba dia ngola - 6
Waze feat. FABER - Games - 6
Jackie McLean & Michael Carvin - Antiquity: The hunter and his game - 5
They Hate Change - Ozone - 4
Luke Abbott - River Flow - 4
Fleetwood Mac - Not That Funny - 3
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Sorry!

The Beths - Out of Sight
Waze - Games
They Hate Change - Ozone
Bomba - Kilumba Dia Ngola
Terri Lyne Carrington - The Anthem
Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour
Luke Abbott - River Flow
Jackie McLean - Antiguity
Edre the Depeche Head
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Mileswide gets going ! Here are your results
10. Jackie McLean & Michael Carvin - Antiquity: The hunter and his game (-31)
8. Luke Abbott - River Flow (Equal rating with Waze, just random ballot tie breaker decided !) (-24)
8. Waze - Games (-23)
7. They Hate Change - Ozone (-16)
6. Bomba - Kilumba Dia Ngola (-15)
5. Jean Ferrat - Autant d'amour (-12)
4. Terri Lyne Carrington - The Anthem (-13)
3. Fleetwood Mac - Not That Funny (-10)
2. The Beths - Out of Sight (-3)
1. Ike & Tina Turner - Bold Soul Sister (3)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - S3E4 - Brad's list

Post by spiritualized »

And we reach Brad's list !

I found the two Dylan tracks on Spotify, but not the Jack Drag one...so I uploaded it here

The Fiery Furnaces - Crystal Clear
Bob Dylan - I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (from The 1966 Live Recordings: Belfast, May 6, 1966)
The Treniers - Poon Tang
Wipers - Return Of The Rat
Jack Drag - Veenus
Bob Dylan and The Band - What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up (from The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete)
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Boy With A Problem
Laura Nyro - December’s Boudoir
The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape
Crass - Angels
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Wipers - Return Of The Rat (8)
Classic song from an underrated band. It feels Wipers were so influential in post-punk bands and yet they never got the credit they deserved. This is one of their better songs, I just love the guitar play, but the bass ain't half bad either.

The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape (7)
This sounds like the Jam meeting TV Personalities. (PS : I wrote this before finding out this was an Edward Ball's side project, so no surprise really !). Rather funny lyrics, but not just. Musically, this is good.

The Fiery Furnaces - Crystal Clear (6)
I don't get a sense of melody in the beginning of the song, fortunately it spurts in punk rockish guitars and the piano takes over. Nice and short.

Bob Dylan - I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (from The 1966 Live Recordings: Belfast, May 6, 1966) (6)
I'm not a fan of Dylan's harmonica antics. I find it disagreeable and too shreeky to be enjoyable. As a matter of fact, I don't think the song needs it. It's a well known one, the Hawks (later to be called "The Band") are stellar.

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Boy With A Problem (6)
A decent, if a bit average Costello song. The man has an instantly recognisable voice.

Crass - Angels (5)
Crummy punk, feels dirty and raucous. Sadly, this is nothing really original or special. Give me a helping of Sex Pistols over Crass please.

Jack Drag - Veenus (5)
Lo-fi power pop from a complete unkwown guy. This is a bit amateurish, but the tune's OK.

Laura Nyro - December’s Boudoir (4)
Not a fan of Nyro's voice. In this song, we're not subjected too much to her belting, except in a few difficult moments. The song has in a nice, upper tempo in the middle but quietens down later. I've never seen the acclaim.

Bob Dylan and The Band - What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up (from The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete) (4)
This is no wonder this stayed at the demo stage and wasn't released until the Bootleg Series. This is rather average, a bit of a jam between Dylan and the band.

The Treniers - Poon Tang (3)
This is rather Hymie territory, isn't it ? The word "Poon Tang" actually comes from the French word "Putain" (whore). I'm not a fan, irrespective of the word or not.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Crass - Angels 8 The rest of Feeding of the Five Thousand is going down easily too!

Jack Drag - Veenus 7 Unknown guy? You would've heard the band a couple of times courtesy of Zombeels in Biggest Fan! I like this heaps more than their previous forum entries, partly for placing their bets on a riskier, more modern style.

The Fiery Furnaces - Crystal Clear 7
Wipers - Return of the Rat 7
Laura Nyro - December's Boudoir 6

Bob Dylan - I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (from The 1966 Live Recordings: Belfast, May 6, 1966) 6 It just doesn't sound like he means it in contrast with the original. Sonically, though, it's got That Thin Wild Mercury Sound® running through it, which only serves to help it.

Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Boy with a Problem 6

The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape 5 The intro is just Spencer Davis Group's Keep on Running, isn't it? And I don't mean this in my archetypal way of "Don't these really disparate songs have some tenuous link?" but the riff follows the same rhythm, just in a different key. Shame as that's the most satisfying part of the tune.

Bob Dylan and The Band - What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up (from The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete) 4
The Treniers - Poon Tang 4
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Just out of inquisitiveness: would it be considered uncouth for me to add albums to my library without actually listening to them, and not knowing when I eventually will?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:32 am Just out of inquisitiveness: would it be considered uncouth for me to add albums to my library without actually listening to them, and not knowing when I eventually will?
Of course Ron, I have no problem with that. A music library is an dynamic entity, so add away !
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

1. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Boy With A Problem: #410 on my AT list; this album is supreme!
2. The Fiery Furnaces - Crystal Clear: #8407 on my AT list
3. Bob Dylan - I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (from The 1966 Live Recordings: Belfast, May 6, 1966): original is #1919 on my AT list; not best version but great nonetheless
4. Wipers - Return Of The Rat: Sage smokes (as always)
5. The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape: lots of fun here… actually quite catchy
6. The Treniers - Poon Tang: yes, certainly Hymie territory, but dig that mad sax solo! Got this from WFMU's "Lux & Ivy's Favorites" series… lots of rare treasures there… google it!
7. Crass - Angels: abrasive but beautiful in it's way
8. Jack Drag - Veenus: not a bad tune, huh?
9. Laura Nyro - December’s Boudoir: always pleasant to listen to her voice but not one of my fave songs
10. Bob Dylan and The Band - What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up (from The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete): pretty weak track from a pretty great album

Thanks!
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

1. Wipers - Return Of The Rat

Great track! Haven’t heard much from the Wipers but loved this!

2. Jack Drag - Veenus

Another great surprise - love all the feedback / Lo-fi production on this!

3. The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape

This one makes me smile! Love the younger-in-cheek ‘Prisoner’ references! “I am Number Two”

4. The Fiery Furnaces - Crystal Clear

Pretty good

5. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Boy With A Problem

Okay EC tune but nothing super special in my opinion

6. Bob Dylan - I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (from The 1966 Live Recordings: Belfast, May 6, 1966)

Okay Bob track but not my favourite live track of his - too much harmonica!

7. Bob Dylan and The Band - What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up (from The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete)

Sadly doesn’t really go anywhere

8. The Treniers - Poon Tang

Don’t really feel much for this track…

9. Laura Nyro - December’s Boudoir

Not really a fan of this either - (I feel there are a million+ singer songwriters that sound like this)

10. Crass - Angels

On first listen sounds unlistenable
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Wipers - Return Of The Rat
Crass - Angels
Bob Dylan - I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (from The 1966 Live Recordings: Belfast, May 6, 1966)
The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape
Laura Nyro - December’s Boudoir
The Fiery Furnaces - Crystal Clear
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Boy With A Problem
Jack Drag - Veenus
The Treniers - Poon Tang
Bob Dylan and The Band - What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up (from The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Let's move on soon, a few more rankings from our regulars, perhaps ?

Edre Peraza wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:33 pm
Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:38 pm
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

1. The Treniers - Poon Tang
2. Laura Nyro - December’s Boudoir
3. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Boy With A Problem
4. The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape
5. Bob Dylan - I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (from The 1966 Live Recordings: Belfast, May 6, 1966)
6. The Fiery Furnaces - Crystal Clear
7. Wipers - Return Of The Rat
8. Jack Drag - Veenus
9. Crass - Angels
10. Bob Dylan and The Band - What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up (from The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete)

Poon-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing ta Fuck Wit

I really need to listen to that Laura Nyro album, I could get lost in her voice for hours.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

OK - we reached the 6 participants mark, let's carry on.

The results of Brad's list !
10. Bob Dylan and The Band - What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up (from The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete) (-44)
9. The Treniers - Poon Tang (-22)
8. Laura Nyro - December’s Boudoir (-14)
7. Jack Drag - Veenus (-14)
6. Crass - Angels (-12)
4. Bob Dylan - I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (from The 1966 Live Recordings: Belfast, May 6, 1966) (-4)
4. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Boy With A Problem (-4)
2. The Fiery Furnaces - Crystal Clear (-2)
2. The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape (-2)

Wipers - Return Of The Rat (4)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Safetycat's next !

The Mutton Birds - Envy of Angels (Envy of Angels, 1997)
The Bravery - (The Bravery, 2005)
David Bowie - Move On (Lodger, 1979)
Bon Iver - Lump Sum (For Emma, Forever Ago, 2007)
Taylor Swift - All Too Well (Red, 2012)
Jet - Hey Kids (Shine On, 2006)
Bear McCreary - Fight Night (Battlestar Galactica Soundtrack - Season 3, 2007)
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Everybody I Love You (Déjà Vu, 1970)
Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning (Fleetwood Mac, 1975)
James Blunt - Give Me Some Love (All the Lost Souls, 2007)

mileswide
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - S3E5 - Safetycat's list

Post by mileswide »

The Bravery - An Honest Mistake 8 It escapes me why I wasn't familiar with what would have been prime student disco fare round about the time I was at uni. Dizzying in the best way!

The Mutton Birds - Envy of Angels 8 Slow burning brilliance!

Taylor Swift - All Too Well 6
Jet - Hey Kids 6
CSNY - Everybody I Love You 6
Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning 5
David Bowie - Move on 5
Bon Iver - Lump Sum 5
Bear McCreary - Fight Night 5
James Blunt - Give Me Some Love 3
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

The Mutton Birds - Envy of Angels (Envy of Angels, 1997)

Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning (Fleetwood Mac, 1975)

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Everybody I Love You (Déjà Vu, 1970)

The Bravery - (The Bravery, 2005)

Jet - Hey Kids (Shine On, 2006)

David Bowie - Move On (Lodger, 1979)

Bon Iver - Lump Sum (For Emma, Forever Ago, 2007)

Bear McCreary - Fight Night (Battlestar Galactica Soundtrack - Season 3, 2007)

Taylor Swift - All Too Well (Red, 2012)

James Blunt - Give Me Some Love (All the Lost Souls, 2007)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

1. Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning (Fleetwood Mac, 1975): barely eeks out the top spot, solid catchy hit here
2. David Bowie - Move On (Lodger, 1979): his voice is at it's prime here
3. The Mutton Birds - Envy of Angels (Envy of Angels, 1997): intriguing band here, solid production, "slow burning brilliance" indeed (mileswide)
4. Bear McCreary - Fight Night (Battlestar Galactica Soundtrack - Season 3, 2007): pretty cool piece
5. Bon Iver - Lump Sum (For Emma, Forever Ago, 2007): pretty average BI track
6. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Everybody I Love You (Déjà Vu, 1970): good song, obviously the album has better
7. The Bravery - (The Bravery, 2005): belongs in the "good but not my thing" bucket
8. James Blunt - Give Me Some Love (All the Lost Souls, 2007): not half as bad as I thought it would be… not my thing exactly, but nice song structure
9. Jet - Hey Kids (Shine On, 2006): good rockin' tune, if nothing new
10. Taylor Swift - All Too Well (Red, 2012): Old Red, New Red, not a fan

Thanks!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

The Bravery - (7)
Definitely influences of the Strokes (the voice is eerily similar), but with more electronics added to it, this is a good song, if only for the other influence, the Killers. Great hook.

The Mutton Birds - Envy of Angels (7)
Good song from the Kiwi Indie Rock band, I liked their first two albums but never went further. Very bright and jangly, this made me add the Envy of Angels on the pile to listen !

Jet - Hey Kids (6.5)
I like Jet in general, they managed to bring in a bit of the AC/DC vibe in recent times. Simple, 4x4, almost by the numbers rock'n'roll, nonetheless, it's catchy

Bon Iver - Lump Sum (6)
Decent song, I do like his voice on here and the tempo lends itself well to the voice harmonies.

James Blunt - Give Me Some Love (6)
I agree - this is better than I expected. Uptempo, nice rocker which focuses on the music rather than Blunt's voice which can be quite irritating at times.

Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning (6)
The first tune for their second eponymous album, Fleetwood Mac started with a bang - this is a rather good, uptempo song sung by Lindsay Buckingham, far more pop than usual for the band.

Bear McCreary - Fight Night (5)
Quite amazing that this can pass as a space series soundtrack with all its celtic influence. Nonetheless, it makes kind of sense.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Everybody I Love You (5)
I'm not fond of the harmonies, Young has done much better in other CSNY songs. As Brad mentioned, there are better songs on this fine album !

David Bowie - Move On (5)
Unlike Brad, I'm not a big fan of Bowie's voice here - too deep, not melodic enough. The album is not my favorite either.

Taylor Swift - All Too Well (4)
Don't really see the appeal in the swift, although she has been played for ages in this household. Too tame, too meek, not enough ooomph.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Oh god, I'm late for my own list! I assume leaving off the title of An Honest Mistake was a genuine error :whistle: ?

Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning (Fleetwood Mac, 1975) - 9 (#904 on my top 1000 list)
The Mutton Birds - Envy of Angels (Envy of Angels, 1997) - 9 (I've been most happy to see all the positive reactions to this song. I have overlooked its beauty too much, although it doesn't win this round for me)
Taylor Swift - All Too Well (Red, 2012) - 9 (Can't agree with the comments on this song so far, this is one of her best.)
James Blunt - Give Me Some Love (All the Lost Souls, 2007) - 8 (I maintain that James Blunt was more than just You're Beautiful, and actually did some really good stuff that wasn't released as singles, like this track.)
The Bravery - An Honest Mistake (The Bravery, 2005) - 7 (Good verses, weak chrous, overall solid)
Bear McCreary - Fight Night (Battlestar Galactica Soundtrack - Season 3, 2007) - 7 (One of the finest TV soundtracks, this is a pretty good part of Season 3)
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Everybody I Love You (Déjà Vu, 1970) - 6 (Acceptable CSNY song)
Bon Iver - Lump Sum (For Emma, Forever Ago, 2007) - 6 (It's fine? Not really my thing)
David Bowie - Move On (Lodger, 1979) - 5 (I don't really like Lodger as an album, in all honesty)
Jet - Hey Kids (Shine On, 2006) - 2 (Musically fine, despise the lyrical content. Why is it in my library? I don't like deleting stuff).
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

1. Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning
2. The Bravery - An Honest Mistake
3. Bear McCreary - Fight Night
4. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Everybody I Love You
5. Taylor Swift - All Too Well
6. James Blunt - Give Me Some Love
7. The Mutton Birds - Envy of Angels
8. David Bowie - Move On
9. Jet - Hey Kids
10. Bon Iver - Lump Sum
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Results time !

Safetycat's list :

10. James Blunt - Give Me Some Love (-20)
9. Bon Iver - Lump Sum (-20)
8. David Bowie - Move On (-18)
6. Jet - Hey Kids (-16)
6. Taylor Swift - All Too Well (-16)
4. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Everybody I Love You (-12)
4. Bear McCreary - Fight Night (-12)
3. The Bravery - An Honest Mistake (-2)
1. The Mutton Birds - Envy of Angels (0)
1. Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning (0)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - S3E6 - Madzong's list

Post by spiritualized »

And last but not least, Madzong's

Chuck Prophet - You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp)
Alice Cooper - Clones (We’re All)
13th Floor Elevators - You’re Gonna Miss Me
Eels - Fresh Blood
Roy Orbison - In Dreams
Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better (James Bond Soundtrack Version)
Len - Steal My Sunshine (Single Version)
Lupe Fiasco ft. Jill Scott - Daydreamin’
The Naked And Famous - Punching In A Dream
EPMD - Strictly Business

Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Good week! Lots to enjoy from Madzong's playlist.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams - 10 (#145 on my all time list)
13th Floor Elevators - You’re Gonna Miss Me - 9 (I didn't like this song originally but it has grown on me a lot since discovering it through AM)
Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better (James Bond Soundtrack Version) - 8 (Incidentally, have we ever done a poll for James Bond theme songs?)
Alice Cooper - Clones (We’re All) - 8 (I was very surprised to enjoy this! Not what I expected from the artist)
Lupe Fiasco ft. Jill Scott - Daydreamin’ - 7 (The last minute is fantastic)
The Naked And Famous - Punching In A Dream - 7 (Pretty good, like Young Blood from the same album, but maybe not as distinctive)
Eels - Fresh Blood - 7 (Again, not exactly what I expected from an Eels song. Solid)
Len - Steal My Sunshine (Single Version) - 7 (Mostly great)
EPMD - Strictly Business - 6 (Fine, not huge on one of the rapper's vocals)
Chuck Prophet - You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp) - 6 (Apparently I put the bomp in the bomp-shooby-dooby-bomp, so that's good to know)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Len - Steal My Sunshine (Single Version) (8)
Such a catchy song. Used to love this in the olden day. The difference between the rough male singer and the sweet female singing "You still my Sunshine" makes the song.

13th Floor Elevators - You’re Gonna Miss Me (8)
A favorite of mine. Love the psychedelia and the bubbling keyboard sound.

Lupe Fiasco ft. Jill Scott - Daydreamin’ (7)
Coincidentally, I listened to Food & Liquor for the first time this week and this is on of its highlight. Of course the sample makes the song, but Fiasco does a good job with his rapping. I still prefer I Monster's original.

Eels - Fresh Blood (7)
Very dark song, from a later album which I didn't pay attention to. Shame, this is a rather good song as E knows how to pen a hook.

EPMD - Strictly Business (7)
Really quite like the beats and the rap delivery here, this is my style of hip hop !

Alice Cooper - Clones (We’re All) (6)
As I listen to more and more Cooper, I do start to enjoy. This is a rather good upbeat track

The Naked And Famous - Punching In A Dream (6)
This reminds me of Chvrches, am I right to think so ?

Roy Orbison - In Dreams (6)
I'm rather ambivalent about Roy Orbison. He can write really good songs (like this one) or he can be way to schmoozy.

Chuck Prophet - You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp) (5)
Strange song. The voice is very Eels-like but the music is kinda off erring on the hip hop side. Not transcending.

Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better (James Bond Soundtrack Version) (4)
Almost sounded like an ABBA song to start with. But no soaring chorus, it's rather bland, apart from the end. The last bit, with the added strings and brass is very good.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

1. 13th Floor Elevators - You’re Gonna Miss Me: #1894 on my AT list - such a cool track
2. Roy Orbison - In Dreams: #3508 on my AT list - a voice like none other
3. Len - Steal My Sunshine (Single Version): #7513 on my AT list - maybe I have this too high, song gets annoying after a bit
4. Eels - Fresh Blood: typical Eels perhaps - solid quality
5. Chuck Prophet - You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp): good track - sets the tone nicely for this playlist
6. Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better (James Bond Soundtrack Version): I'm old enough to remember this on the radio constantly. In fact, I saw "The Spy Who Loved Me" first-run in the theater. I couldn't stand this then, but it's ok now - that nostalgia effect.
7. Alice Cooper - Clones (We’re All): Alice trying to sound like The Cars? I bet hardcore fans were up in arms over this upon release
8. EPMD - Strictly Business: Not bad but I get annoyed with the prevalence of overwhelming samples on a lot of these hip-hop tracks
9. The Naked And Famous - Punching In A Dream: doesn't move me like it's trying to
10. Lupe Fiasco ft. Jill Scott - Daydreamin’: kind of dull, again with the sample... too much

Thanks!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

13th Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me 7 More bands of the time should have had an electric jug player, it's an addictive sound!

Eels - Fresh Blood 7
Len - Steal My Sunshine (Single Edit) 7
The Naked and Famous - Punching in a Dream 7
Alice Cooper - Clones (We're All) 6
Roy Orbison - In Dreams 6
Chuck Prophet - You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp) 6
Lupe Fiasco feat. Jill Scott - Daydreamin' 5
EPMD - Strictly Business 5
Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better 4
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 am
Madzong wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:48 am
Last call !!!
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

1. 13th Floor Elevators - You’re Gonna Miss Me

I found this back in the day o the High Fidelity OST. Loved it ever since! A true garage acid rock psychedelic classic from a band who burned out too quick.

2. Eels - Fresh Blood - great track that has been on lots of TV show soundtracks. The sound of Halloween!

3. Alice Cooper - Clones (We’re All). Loved this since I tracked it down after listening to the Smashing Pumpkins cover from the 1979 single.

4. Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better (James Bond Soundtrack Version). As Radiohead once proclaimed, ‘One of the most sexiest songs ever written’

5. Len - Steal My Sunshine (Single Version). A one-hit-wonder BUT what a one-hit-wonder! Great beat and apparently based on the dynamic of ‘Don’t you want me’ by the Human League.

6. EPMD - Strictly Business. Love the sample - it makes this song.

7. Lupe Fiasco ft. Jill Scott - Daydreamin’. Love the sample. I think I first came across this due to the Beta Band sample on their song Squares.

8. The Naked And Famous - Punching In A Dream. Good track but not as good as Young Blood from the same album.

9. Chuck Prophet - You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp)

10. Roy Orbison - In Dreams
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 am
Really need that last list to close off the season, please !!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

This one may have just been the best set all around!

1. Len - Steal My Sunshine (Single Version)
2. Roy Orbison - In Dreams
3. EPMD - Strictly Business
4. Lupe Fiasco ft. Jill Scott - Daydreamin’
5. The Naked And Famous - Punching In A Dream
6. Alice Cooper - Clones (We’re All)
7. 13th Floor Elevators - You’re Gonna Miss Me
8. Chuck Prophet - You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp)
9. Eels - Fresh Blood
10. Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better (James Bond Soundtrack Version)

I'm so sorry... I may have to drop out from future rounds if I'm going to be so consistently late...
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:53 pm I'm so sorry... I may have to drop out from future rounds if I'm going to be so consistently late...
Don't be. I don't mind remind players. If you enjoy the game, please continue playing, your contributions matter to the game !
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Madzong's list results !!

10. Chuck Prophet - You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp) (-30)
9. Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better (James Bond Soundtrack Version) (-18)
7. The Naked And Famous - Punching In A Dream (-16)
7. EPMD - Strictly Business (-18)
6. Lupe Fiasco ft. Jill Scott - Daydreamin’ (-12)
5. Alice Cooper - Clones (We’re All) (-8)
4. Eels - Fresh Blood (-6)
3. Roy Orbison - In Dreams (-4)
2. Len - Steal My Sunshine (Single Version) (-2)
1. 13th Floor Elevators - You’re Gonna Miss Me (2)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

So the winners of the 3rd season are :

13th Floor Elevators - You’re Gonna Miss Me (2)
The Mutton Birds - Envy of Angels (0)
Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning (0)
Wipers - Return Of The Rat (4)
Ike & Tina Turner - Bold Soul Sister (3)
The Beatles - A Day In The Life (3)
Prince - Let's Go Crazy

Quite a nice roster !
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

And I will start the recruitment for a 4th season. Get your randomizers ready and submit your lists !
Check the rules on the OP and if we have less than 6 players, I will fold the game.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - Season 4 starting, get your lists ! (6 players minimum)

Post by spiritualized »

1. Johnny Cash - Life Goes On
2. The Psychedelic Furs - Until She Comes
3. Arctic Monkeys - Cornerstone
4. Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians : Section IIIA
5. The Clash - Lover's Rock
6. Rocket Science - In My Head
7. Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools
8. Hardfloor - Strikeout - Surgeon Remix
9. Lucievacarme - Souffle Incandescent
10. Tackhead - Hard Left
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

1. The Verlaines - Stop Messing Around
2. Crass - Heard Too Much About
3. Scott Walker - If You Go Away
4. Bert Jansch - Needle Of Death
5. Kraut - Bogus
6. Comet Gain - The Ballad Of A Mix Tape
7. Husker Du - From The Gut
8. Cream - Strange Brew
9. Guided By Voices - I Am A Scientist
10. Joni Mitchell - Sugar Mountain (from Archives - Volume 1)

Thanks!
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

1. We Used To Be Friends - Dandy Warhols
2. Subhuman - Garbage
3. Southern Girls - Cheap Trick
4. Dead Flowers - Rolling Stones
5. Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine - The Killers
6. On With The Show - Mötley Crüe
7. Red Right Hand - Nick Cave
8. History Repeating - Propellerheads ft. Shirley Bassey
9. Under The Moonlight - Denis Wilson
10. Shut ‘Em Up - Prodigy Vs. Public Enemy & Manfred Mann
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

1. R.E.M. - Driver 8
2. Sigur Rós - Hoppípolla
3. Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse ft. Jason Lytle - Jaykub
4. Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
5. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Woodstock
6. Pink Floyd - Pigs (Three Different Ones)
7. Dave Dobbyn - Naked Flame
8. Howard Shore - The Hidden Valley
9. Howard Shore - Under Hill
10. The Beatles - Please Mr. Postman

All the standard versions. Also, my shuffle managed to chose two pieces in a row from the soundtrack for the first Hobbit movie, which given the size of the library is frankly incredible.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”