We Will Rank You, Rank The Tracks in podcast form

wewillrankyou
Superunknown

We Will Rank You, Rank The Tracks in podcast form

Post by wewillrankyou »

Hey there,
Been meaning to stop by and say cheers. Me and a few friends started a podcast late last year ranking classic albums a lot like you do in Rank the Tracks. We did Love's Forever Changes and when I was googling the link to the episode, I accidentally found you folks! Holy great minds, we've also ranked the Queen is Dead, OK Computer and the Stone Roses and have thought about or talked about doing dozens of others that you have. We probably sound a lot like you do when you ramble about music with YOUR pals. Anyways, feel free to listen and chime in on our social media, where I just posted praising you guys. Cheers!
Adam
http://www.WeWillRankYouPod.com

PS If you want to try to name all the albums in our logo for fun, go nuts. We did it recently as a contest with a San Diego record store.
main.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: We Will Rank You, Rank The Tracks in podcast form

Post by Nassim »

Going to listen to the OK Computer one, as the one guy who thinks Electioneering is top 3 of the album

I only got :
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
The B-52s - The B-52s
The Beatles - 1

That 9 looks familiar though...
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

The 7 surely comes from a 'Sounds from the 70s' compilation, the 8 looks like the Red Stripe logo (and not just because there's a red stripe on it), the 2's bugging me- maybe an early 90s album?
All I got inside is vacancy!
wewillrankyou
Superunknown

Post by wewillrankyou »

Ah, another Electioneering fan. Seems that most folks don't like that one. Love its clangy goodness!

Yes on the 9,5, 1 and mostly right on the 7. The 8 looks strangely pink close up. Possibly the hardest one because i'm not even sure I would get it out of context and it's a huge fave. The 2 was released in 1992 but hint: it's a singles compilation.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

9 is Old 97s - Wreck Your Life
That 2 is bugging me too…

This is fun!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Got it! (with help of the hint above)

2 is Erasure - pop! 20 hits
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
wewillrankyou
Superunknown

Post by wewillrankyou »

yes & yes! I'll post the answers tomorrow. If it's fun enough, I can post a couple of other fun album collages I did for the podcast in a copule of days. Don't wanna be the overposting rookie. Still gotta chime in on some of those rankings we did in the appropriate thread....
wewillrankyou
Superunknown

Post by wewillrankyou »

contest answers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Ok, shame on me for Figure 8...

I listened to the OK Computer episode, I enjoyed the banter but I think I'd enjoy it more if you went through songs one by one.
I'd go the "Henrik and his friends" way, were everybody sends their ranked list to a 5th person who tabulates the results to get a global ranking (by giving 1 points to the song ranked last, 2 to the one second to last and so on, to keep it simple) and send it back to one of the podcast participants, who won't open it before the recording not to spoil the result.
You could still go "I had it last because it sucks", "I had it first because it's awesome" etc... but you'd focus on one song after the other (from the least loved to the consensus winner), not going back and forth between tracks, and you could really confront each other's opinions.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

I loved the Parklife episode, it’s my favorite album ever. Liked specially your comments on Clover Over Dover, a clear highlight of the disc for me. Also I loved to discover that Jubilee (my #2) is among the most beloved tracks.

I’d like to know if you disclose the whole final results. I haven’t found it on instragram.

Looking forward to hear your other episodes too. Nice job!
wewillrankyou
Superunknown

Post by wewillrankyou »

Wow. Thanks for listening, you guys! Funny that you suggested the outside person tabulating way. A friend of mine suggested the same and then a cohost came up with it too. We used that format for our XTC episode and our recently recorded Yeah Yeah Yeahs ep and it was a ton of fun. Although it can be a little confusing sometimes, I still like the basic starting with the songs we like least and ending with the ones we like best. Gives the show a natural flow from hate to love. Since we like the different ways, we keep rotating from countdown to track by track to the Team Total Countdown (a la Henrik). Keeps it interesting, as much as I sorta wish we could pick one thing n stick with it!

Is "Henrik and his friends" a podcast or a regular feature here? Googled it and came up empty.

Thanks again.
wewillrankyou
Superunknown

Post by wewillrankyou »

Oh and Toni, the host in charge of posting the results of our countdowns is rather behind. As in....he hasn't posted any. I hate spoilers so I haven't shared them on social media. He did build two cool webpages for our Police & Smiths episodes but I haven't shared them anywhere because they didn't include how we ranked them. Glad to know someone is curious!
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

wewillrankyou wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:34 am Oh and Toni, the host in charge of posting the results of our countdowns is rather behind. As in....he hasn't posted any. I hate spoilers so I haven't shared them on social media. He did build two cool webpages for our Police & Smiths episodes but I haven't shared them anywhere because they didn't include how we ranked them. Glad to know someone is curious!
Nice, man! Looking after the results and next podcasts, then.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”