More Wisdom From Keith Richards

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

More Wisdom From Keith Richards

Post by Hymie »

September 4, 2015, Rolling Stones' guitarist Keith Richards told The New York Daily News that Rap music was for "tone deaf people." He went on to say "All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they're happy. There's an enormous market for people who can't tell one note from another."
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Re: More Wisdom From Keith Richards

Post by Akhenaten »

Why listen to someone who falls out of coconut trees?

I don't know any songs by Keith Richards anyway. He hasn't had any hits according to my big book of Billboard Hits 1900-1960.

It's a fact, nobody my age likes anything but rap music. Ask anyone. Music is of no interest to me anyhow, I only care about lyrics.

My girlfriend says Keith Richards has funny hair, and the saxophone breaks in I Get A Kick Out Of You and Dig Lazarus Dig beats anything Richards has done.

Here's a song about pineapple trees:
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
aalamar
Strange Fruit

Post by aalamar »

+1
I completely agree with Keith Richards
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Why would you listen to someone with as dangerous a life style as Keith Richards. With all the drugs he’s done, how can you take anything he says seriously? I would you trust your kids with a man like that?
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

You have made me lol at work
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Holden wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:43 pm Why would you listen to someone with as dangerous a life style as Keith Richards. With all the drugs he’s done, how can you take anything he says seriously? I would you trust your kids with a man like that?
I would definitely trust Keith Richards with other people's kids. (I don't have any myself, so I don't need to worry.)

Didn't Keith once say, "While I was on heroin, I accomplished two things - I learned to ski, and I made Exile on Main St."?
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I had that attitude at one point as a teenager when my sampling of rap was limited to what was popular on MTV at the time.

For me meter and flow are more important than lyrics. And if you consider storytelling a factor for country, blues and folk, why is rap any different just because the tempo is faster and aesthetic is harsher?
SJ1990
Debut

Post by SJ1990 »

I mean, it doesn't matter if I agree or not. The thing is: listen to what you like to. Why judge others that may like to listen to rap? That's the beauty in music - variety and choice. I'm myself a metalhead and I know what people think about it. I don't mind it!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Welcome SJ1990!
That's exactly the right spirit I would say. To each their own.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Holden wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:43 pm Why would you listen to someone with as dangerous a life style as Keith Richards. With all the drugs he’s done, how can you take anything he says seriously? I would you trust your kids with a man like that?
Nobody who uses drugs or makes music about them is worth taking seriously, I say. The only musicians who've ever made good music are straight-living types like Pat Boone.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

I would hate to derail a thread by Hymie, but whuntva is looking for warm bodies for the Simpsons poll, tucked away in the General Discussion section. We're trying to blow past the 5 contributions thus far.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Keith's last sentence is more about the tragedy of American education (in the arts) than anything else.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

StevieFan13 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:07 pm
Nobody who uses drugs or makes music about them is worth taking seriously, I say. The only musicians who've ever made good music are straight-living types like Pat Boone.
StevieFan - you always crack me up! Love your comments!
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Hymie wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:05 am "All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they're happy."
If you get down to it, isn't basically all non-instrumental music this?
There is No More Firmament.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Akhenaten's Hymie parody above has made me laugh out loud several times now. Underappreciated.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Yes, I just read this thread today and it’s hilarious! :D
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Anyway, I’m sure we should all probably go and check out a list of top Keith Richards songs at Digital Dream Door or something…
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Rob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:48 am Akhenaten's Hymie parody above has made me laugh out loud several times now. Underappreciated.
It's probably the funniest thing I've seen in our forum.
spiderpig
Strange Fruit

Post by spiderpig »

Hymie wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:05 am September 4, 2015, Rolling Stones' guitarist Keith Richards told The New York Daily News that Rap music was for "tone deaf people." He went on to say "All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they're happy. There's an enormous market for people who can't tell one note from another."
September 4, 1965, some 80 year old musician told The New York Daily News that The Rolling Stones' brand new hit "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" was for "tone deaf people." He went on to say "All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they're happy. There's an enormous market for people who can't tell one note from another."

In that song's middle sections Jagger is almost a proto-rapper. Keith, don't you remember what old people were saying about your music when YOU were young? (I also wanna join the consensus: this thread does have some hilarious moments)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

And the horrible sexually explicit way he moved his hips!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jirin wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:04 pm And the horrible sexually explicit way he moved his hips!
Won’t somebody PLEASE think of the children?!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
spiderpig
Strange Fruit

Post by spiderpig »

StevieFan13 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:30 pm
Jirin wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:04 pm And the horrible sexually explicit way he moved his hips!
Won’t somebody PLEASE think of the children?!
YOU think of the children! I don't wanna be arrested for pedophilia!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”