What artists do you listen to nearly daily?

Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

What artists do you listen to nearly daily?

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

I will make the assumption that everyone on this forum is a music nerd like me who listens to a shit ton of music across a wide array of genres. For example, I am active on Albumoftheyear and have rated well over 1,000 albums from a wide variety of genres and artists.

However, even though I am discovering music (new and old) almost every other day in my life, I find that there is always an artist that I come back to nearly every day and at the bare minimum every week. For me, that artist is Depeche Mode. Depeche Mode was the artist that got me into music as a whole. I still remember the first time I heard "Enjoy The Silence", it changed my life and view of music. I pretty much listen to Depeche Mode almost daily (it helps that I love their whole discography) but I can't say that about many of my other favorite artists. I find that if I listen to any artist too much I get burnt out on their music and have to listen to something else for a bit. But that never seems to apply to Depeche Mode for me.

This got me wondering, what artists do any of you people on this forum listen to obsessively and never get sick of like I am with Depeche Mode?
Edre the Depeche Head
Romain
Happy Up Here

Re: What artists do you listen to nearly daily?

Post by Romain »

Bowie, Gainsbourg, Prince... CD in my car completely scratched, used... albums, compilations, these three I listen to often!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Is this it has been the CD in my car for going on a month now, so I guess the Strokes.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Holden wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:36 pm Is this it has been the CD in my car for going on a month now, so I guess the Strokes.
Nice! I for one also have CDs in my car for a long time too since I can store 6 at a time. Right now my CD roster is Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel, Kanye West - 808s/Yeezus, Jay-Z - The Black Album, The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form, and Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Edre the Depeche Head
aalamar
Strange Fruit

Post by aalamar »

The Who, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones and The Doors.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I couldn't imagine listening to any artist/band etc. almost every day, that just sounds too limiting when there's such an abundance of music out there!
All I got inside is vacancy!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Generally there is no single artist I would listen to every day, or even every week. Every month would be hard enough even for my favorite acts.

As it is though, the last couple of weeks I have listened to Bob Dylan about every day. Happen to be right in the middle of a Dylan binge as happens once in a while.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

mileswide wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:48 pm I couldn't imagine listening to any artist/band etc. almost every day, that just sounds too limiting when there's such an abundance of music out there!
I might listen to Depeche Mode almost every other day but also discover new music almost every day as well!
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

aalamar wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:23 pm The Who, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones and The Doors.
Pretty solid grouping if you ask me!
Edre the Depeche Head
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm a bit like Mileswide. Even artists I frequently return to like Bob Dylan might sometimes take a couple of week or months of. But yeah, Dylan is the one I return the most to.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Nothing daily, but there probably aren't a lot of weeks when I don't listen to at least a LCD Soundsystem, Run the Jewels and Car Seat Headrest track.
Monthly for sure : Elliott Smith, Built to Spill, Beastie Boys and Queens of the Stone Age, a.k.a. my 4 artists ever.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

The Beatles, Pavement, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones.
These are the artists I've played at least 700 times in the past 365 days.
(np: The Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers)

Thanks!
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Nassim wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:09 pm Nothing daily, but there probably aren't a lot of weeks when I don't listen to at least a LCD Soundsystem, Run the Jewels and Car Seat Headrest track.
Monthly for sure : Elliott Smith, Built to Spill, Beastie Boys and Queens of the Stone Age, a.k.a. my 4 artists ever.
I am the same with Elliott Smith and Run The Jewels as well!
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Brad wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:16 pm The Beatles, Pavement, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones.

Thanks!
Nice to see Pavement sneak in there! I haven't listened to much else other than Slanted and Crooked and like them a lot. What other albums do you reccomend?
Edre the Depeche Head
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

There's only one artist I listen to at least a song per day on average, and that's The Beatles. But I'd say I only listen to them once or twice a week on average.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Edre Peraza wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:06 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:16 pm The Beatles, Pavement, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones.

Thanks!
Nice to see Pavement sneak in there! I haven't listened to much else other than Slanted and Crooked and like them a lot. What other albums do you reccomend?
def check out Wowee Zowee next, then Brighten The Corners, some killer B-sides as well
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

David Bowie, Deltron 3030, Ramones, Handsome Boy Modelling School, Fleetwood Mac, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Public Enemy, Pixies, Beach Boys, The Cure, Beatles (incl. solo albums)

These artists are usually feature in my favourite mixes which I play in the car or when preparing meals
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

If I listened to any artist daily I’d get bored of them.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Jirin wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:22 pm If I listened to any artist daily I’d get bored of them.
Pls read my actual post smh... I said if not daily, artists you are able to listen too a lot and often without getting tired.
Edre the Depeche Head
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I often find that I get absolutely obsessed with a couple of songs for a few days/weeks and will just listen to them on repeat. I'm currently doing ten songs a day from the 10000 songs list, so usually they come from there.

Right now, I've listened to "The Fear" by Lily Allen, "How Deep Is Your Love?" by The Rapture, "Kim & Jessie" by M83, and Evil by "Interpol" for the last few weeks, among others.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Holden wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:00 pm I often find that I get absolutely obsessed with a couple of songs for a few days/weeks and will just listen to them on repeat. I'm currently doing ten songs a day from the 10000 songs list, so usually they come from there.

Right now, I've listened to "The Fear" by Lily Allen, "How Deep Is Your Love?" by The Rapture, "Kim & Jessie" by M83, and Evil by "Interpol" for the last few weeks, among others.
How Deep Is Your Love has been high on rotation on my side too recently. Also love the other 3 songs (The Fear is in my top 1000 too)
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Nassim wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:54 pm
Holden wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:00 pm I often find that I get absolutely obsessed with a couple of songs for a few days/weeks and will just listen to them on repeat. I'm currently doing ten songs a day from the 10000 songs list, so usually they come from there.

How Deep Is Your Love has been high on rotation on my side too recently. Also love the other 3 songs (The Fear is in my top 1000 too)
Tragically, none of the four are in my Top 1000, I discovered them too late!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Edre Peraza wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:52 pm
Jirin wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:22 pm If I listened to any artist daily I’d get bored of them.
Pls read my actual post smh... I said if not daily, artists you are able to listen too a lot and often without getting tired.

I did read it, and answered your question. There are none.
aalamar
Strange Fruit

Post by aalamar »

Edre Peraza wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:24 pm
aalamar wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:23 pm The Who, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones and The Doors.
Pretty solid grouping if you ask me!
And every other day:

The Clash, Lou Reed/VU, Wilko Johnson/Dr. Feelgood and Sonny Boy Williamson II.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I can't imagine listening to songs on repeat. I'd get bored after only a couple of listens, even with new songs that I love.

I remember as teenagers me and my friends would put some obscure songs on repeat just for the heck of it. Mostly to annoy some among us and to baffle folks dropping by. Other than that, no songs on repeat for me.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Even if I don't have an artist I listen to daily/ weekly, I do have a personal playlist I always use. I have talked about this a few years ago, but I have a playlist called Rob's Rotation. It is basically for songs I currently play a lot. It is never longer than 60 minutes and I change songs every Sunday. Each song is there until I feel like I have enough; usually about four weeks. The new songs of the week I play each day, at least once. So that's my major music routine.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

Arctic Monkeys. Their songs are so catchy.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Jirin wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:30 pm
Edre Peraza wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:52 pm

I did read it, and answered your question. There are none.
Fair enough!
Edre the Depeche Head
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I don't know about daily, but some of the albums I've played the most in 2021 are:

The Strokes - Is This It
Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure
Ghost - Meliora
Ariana Grande - thank u, next
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Julee Cruise - Floating Into the Night
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

For the past year and a half it's mostly been:
Alice in Chains, Beastie Boys, Led Zeppelin, The Police, Radiohead, U2, and Yes
There is No More Firmament.
Le Jeune Rylan
Wannabe

Post by Le Jeune Rylan »

The National.
Specifically, for the past few years, I have been listening to The National's albums (for example my favorite, Sleep Well Beast) almost every night, especailly when I walk or drive through the metropolis of East Asia style alone (I live in China by the way). It seems that night-time is the best and only time to listen to their music!
In addition, Slowdive was also recently added to my very night-time playlist, lol.
Last edited by Le Jeune Rylan on Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rylan, you should try to get some sun."
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Le Jeune Rylan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:51 am The National.
Specifically, for the past few years, I have been listening to The National's albums (for example my favorite, Dark Side of the Gym) almost every night, especailly when I walk or drive through the metropolis of East Asia style alone (I live in China by the way). It seems that night-time is the best and only time to listen to their music!
In addition, Slowdive was also recently added to my very night-time playlist, lol.
I see you are newer here! Welcome! The National is definitely great nighttime driving music!
Edre the Depeche Head
Le Jeune Rylan
Wannabe

Post by Le Jeune Rylan »

Edre Peraza wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:02 pm
Le Jeune Rylan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:51 am The National.
Specifically, for the past few years, I have been listening to The National's albums (for example my favorite, Dark Side of the Gym) almost every night, especailly when I walk or drive through the metropolis of East Asia style alone (I live in China by the way). It seems that night-time is the best and only time to listen to their music!
I see you are newer here! Welcome! The National is definitely great nighttime driving music!
Glad to join you! :banana-dreads:
p.s. DAMN...I found that I misremembered the album "Sleep Well Beast" name again! I always muddle the names of the last two songs! Embarassing!
"Rylan, you should try to get some sun."
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Not even close for me. I may go months or even years without listening much to artists I know and love. I think it's a result of the streaming age; back when my listening was centered around my iPod, there was only so much variety on there, and if you have to scroll by your favorite artists, you might play them more. But with the endless possibilities that Spotify offers (not to mention all of the games on this forum that encourage new discovery), it seems like I always should be checking out new things.

In fact, I've been wondering whether I should listen to my favorites more. During the 60s poll it's been a real pleasure to hear The Kinks, Dylan, The Beach Boys, etc., as it's been a while since I actually put on a lot of the classics.
JacobGraham
Debut

Post by JacobGraham »

For me, it's all about my love for the Irish flute these days! I'm exploring the world of music through this beautiful instrument, and it's been a real game-changer in my life. And just like you with Depeche Mode, I find myself coming back to the flute almost daily – it's simply enchanting!But hey, I totally get what you mean about listening to an artist too much and needing a little break. It's good to mix it up and discover new tunes to keep things fresh and exciting! And speaking of discovering, have you checked out the flute buy webpage to compare prices? It's always smart to find the best deals when you're passionate about something!
Last edited by JacobGraham on Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Off the top of my head: A Tribe Called Quest, Outkast, Samia, Käärijä (helps that he’s my alarm clock), and Weird Al.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
ManPerson
Let's Get It On

Post by ManPerson »

Britney Spears
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I don't drive, so I am limited only by what Spotify offers. I often cycle through whole albums, but have a 'Songs of 20xx' playlist that is always downloaded, so often the songs I replay are early/non-album singles. I looked at my highest ranking non-album singles for the last few years and I did not expect when I came into this thread that this would be my answer:

Azealia Banks?!

But it maked sense when I thought about her output; it has been like a decade since any hint of an album, so there is no worry about over listening to the lead single, which means her songs stay on my 'Songs of 20xx' playlists and, most importantly, she loves a rapid-fire banger. Her singles are the ear candy I crave when I don't know what to listen to.
o.m.
Different Class

Post by o.m. »

Hey JacobGraham, if you like irish flute, I highly recommend you to expand your horizon by listening to a master called Hariprasad Chaurasia.
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/haripra ... 0000530569
Wellington, I actually had the chance to meet him in Mumbai in December 1996 as he was humbly teaching in a school.
Enjoy :music-listening:
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

There are many artists I listen to a LOT...but no artist nearly daily or even weekly.

Part of that is a consequence of spending so much of my time sampling new (to me) music as I try to keep from completely losing touch with 2023 while interspersing 2010s tunes for the decade polls and occasionally taking a break from those just to listen to whatever I want (typically older stuff only because I'm seeking "comfort music" I can sing along with.)

These are likely the ones I spend the most time with overall:
The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson (natch)
The Beatles
The Choir
Steely Dan
Elvis Presley
Johnny Cash
Bob Dylan
Stevie Wonder
Nat King Cole
Paul Simon
Elton John
Daniel Amos
Tom Petty (& the Heartbreakers)
Weezer
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Father2TheMan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:46 am There are many artists I listen to a LOT...but no artist nearly daily or even weekly.

Part of that is a consequence of spending so much of my time sampling new (to me) music as I try to keep from completely losing touch with 2023 while interspersing 2010s tunes for the decade polls and occasionally taking a break from those just to listen to whatever I want (typically older stuff only because I'm seeking "comfort music" I can sing along with.)

These are likely the ones I spend the most time with overall:
The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson (natch)
The Beatles
The Choir
Steely Dan
Elvis Presley
Johnny Cash
Bob Dylan
Stevie Wonder
Nat King Cole
Paul Simon
Elton John
Daniel Amos
Tom Petty (& the Heartbreakers)
Weezer
Very understandable. My listening rotations has also consisted of a blend of 2010s albums (often due to the poll), my lists of artists to check out based on other favorites of mine, as well as comfort music which has been indie and emo for me with usual artists like Depeche Mode, Bright Eyes, Radiohead, Modest Mouse... all in rotation
Edre the Depeche Head

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”