Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Finals!

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Finals!

Post by Brad »

We've reached the Final Round of Moderately Acclaimed Albums!
This is for all the marbles!

ote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = November 2nd at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=474290

Match-up:
Astor Piazzolla - Tango: Zero Hour vs. Nils Frahm - Spaces

We won't say goodbye
so long, so much more
Brad
Higher Ground

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Finals!

Post by Brad »

My pick:

Thanks!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Final vote for Spaces!
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

1 | Astor Piazzolla | Tango: Zero Hour
2 | Nils Frahm | Spaces
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Both high on my all-time list.

Spaces for the top spot
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Seems like I've been voting against Astor Piazzolla almost every week lately, which is odd because I really like that album. (And he's probably one of my top 100 artists of all-time.) However, here I go again!

Nils Frahm - Spaces

Thanks so much for all the years you've run this game, Brad! I've looked forward to it every year and made so many great discoveries. You'll be missed, but you sure picked an outstanding host to replace you with Honorio! (Every thread he touches turns to gold, so we're in good hands.) :greetings-waveyellow:
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Astor Piazzolla - Tango: Zero Hour
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

ASTOR PIAZZOLLA - TANGO: ZERO HOUR
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Nils Frahm - Spaces
Both are fantastic, some of my favourites from the entire competition.
ElizabethJackson82
Debut

Post by ElizabethJackson82 »

Nils Frahm - Spaces!

He's great, and the live show is "live" - everything happens in real time. It clearly distinguishes between live music and recorded music.
Check hear his work on the deaf center LP "owl splinters," which was named 2011's most striking unknown recording.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

jamieW wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:36 pmThanks so much for all the years you've run this game, Brad! I've looked forward to it every year and made so many great discoveries. You'll be missed, but you sure picked an outstanding host to replace you with Honorio! (Every thread he touches turns to gold, so we're in good hands.) :greetings-waveyellow:
Thank you for the kind words jamieW, as well as for your continued participation all these years.
And I could not agree more about Honorio!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

ElizabethJackson82 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:36 am Nils Frahm - Spaces!

He's great, and the live show is "live" - everything happens in real time. It clearly distinguishes between live music and recorded music.
Check hear his work on the deaf center LP "owl splinters," which was named 2011's most striking unknown recording.
Welcome ElizabethJackson82! Stick around these boards... it's fun!
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Having listened to both of these seven times now, I can say that Piazzolla would be a deserved winner, Frahm... not so much. The more I listen to Spaces, the less I like it. It's rather shallow and almost boring.

So my vote is:

Astor Piazzolla | Tango: Zero Hour

My 20 favorite albums I hadn't heard before this tournament (preliminary ranking):

1. John Coltrane | Ascension
2. Don Cherry | Eternal Rhythm
3. Built to Spill | Keep It Like a Secret
4. Auktyon | Hangover
5. Utopia | Todd Rundgren's Utopia
6. Tortoise | TNT
7. Roy Harper | Man and Myth
8. The Magnetic Fields | 50 Song Memoir
9. Ministry | The Land of Rape and Honey
10. The Cure | Bloodflowers
11. Robert Fripp | Exposure
12. The Feminine Complex | Livin' Love
13. American Football | American Football
14. Bubu | Anabelas
15. Smog | Knock Knock
16. Harold Budd | The Pavilion of Dreams
17. Jackson C. Frank | Jackson C. Frank
18. Laura Marling | Once I Was an Eagle
19. Astor Piazzolla | Tango: Zero Hour
20. Madrugada | Industrial Silence

Thanks for running this!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Brad wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:01 pm
jamieW wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:36 pmThanks so much for all the years you've run this game, Brad! I've looked forward to it every year and made so many great discoveries. You'll be missed, but you sure picked an outstanding host to replace you with Honorio! (Every thread he touches turns to gold, so we're in good hands.) :greetings-waveyellow:
Thank you for the kind words jamieW, as well as for your continued participation all these years.
And I could not agree more about Honorio!
Thank you very much, my friends! And congratulations, Brad, for another excellently hosted edition of MAA! Thank you very much, Brad!!
My vote goes to Spaces. I'll try to write something (brief) during the weekend...
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Piazzolla was already in his sixties when he recorded this, but it became a milestone of the new tango styles, which combines traditional tango/milonga with influence from jazz, classical music and flamenco. Highlight is the melancholic Milonga del Angel.

Thanks for hosting all these years, Brad!
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Tango: Zero Hour has been my favorite since round 1. I even learned to love it more than my own nominations! It's a shame I didn't check it out sooner, as I already loved Piazzolla's Libertango, which appeared in a previous edition from Moderately Acclaimed. Spaces is great too, but regardless this isn't a hard choice for me.

As per usual, my top 20 discoveries of this year's line-up (so excluding albums I already knew and loved, like Spaces and 50 Song Memoirs):

1. Astor Piazzolla - Tango: Zero Hour
2. Jonathan Richman - I, Jonathan
3. American Football - American Football
4. Built to Spill - Keep It Like a Secret
5. Conor Oberst - Ruminations
6. Boris - Pink
7. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
8. Tortoise - TNT
9. Roy Harper - Man And Myth
10. Carla Bley & Paul Haines - Escalator Over the Hill
11. Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm
12. Smog - Knock Knock
13. Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry
14. Faust - Faust
15. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
16. ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead - Source Tags & Codes
17. Four Tops - Reach Out
18. Neil Young - Time Fades Away
19. Leyla McCalla - A Day for the Hunter, a Day for the Prey
20. Mariah - Utakata No Hibi
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

The final! As I did on the previous 6 editions, these are the songs where Brad's quotes come from. Again we have a fantastic collection of quotes and a fantastic collection of songs. If you click on the following links you will find (if available) live versions or official clips of the songs to showcase the look of the artists. If you prefer to listen to the original studio versions you have the Spotify playlist.
This time there are two quotes I haven't found on the Internet, the weeks 1.12 and 3.1. Which ones are them, Brad? Tell me and I'll include them...

1.1 Phase one in which Doris gets her oats! (The Beatles | Two of Us | 1970)
1.2 It's a new dawn / It's a new day (Nina Simone | Feeling Good | 1965)
1.3 Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good (Run-D.M.C. | Peter Piper | 1986)
1.4 Lo, they did rejoice / Fine and pure of voice (Big Star | Jesus Christ | 1978)
1.5 We're born again, there's new grass on the field (John Fogerty | Centerfield | 1985)
1.6 Music seems to help the pain / Seems to cultivate the brain (Pink Floyd | Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk | 1967)
1.7 Eenie, meenie, mienie, mo / Whichever way you wanna go / Talk about... (M | Pop Muzik | 1979)
1.8 O sol nas bancas de revista / Me enche de alegria e preguiça / Quem lê tanta notícia / Eu vou... (Caetano Veloso | Alegria, Alegria | 1967)
1.9 Get higher, baby / And don't ever come down! (Grandmaster & Melle Mel | White Lines (Don't Don't Do It) | 1983)
1.10 Drink up, happy hour is now enforced by law! (Dead Kennedys | We've Got a Bigger Problem Now | 1981)
1.11 "Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns" (Johnny Cash | Folsom Prison Blues | 1955)
1.12 You just whip it to a jelly / If you like good jelly roll (Clara Smith | Whip It to a Jelly | 1926)
1.13 But you'd better listen, man / Because the kids know where it's at (The Jam | In the City | 1977)
1.14 I'm so young / I'm so god-damn young (R.E.M. | Just a Touch | 1986)
1.15 Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere (Elvis Costello & the Attractions | New Lace Sleeves | 1981)
1.16 Hey, your enemy won't do you no harm / (Rap on) 'cause you'll know where he's comin' from (The Undisputed Truth | Smiling Faces Sometimes | 1971)
2.1 Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missing (Led Zeppelin | Over the Hills and Far Away | 1973)
2.2 Ya mama's glasses are so thick she look into a map / and see people wavin at her (The Pharcyde | Ya Mama | 1992)
2.3 Life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman (Aesop Rock | Daylight | 2001)
2.4 If it's jug band music or rhythm and blues / Just go and listen it'll start with a smile (The Lovin' Spoonful | Do You Believe in Magic | 1965)
2.5 Oh, love, love, love / Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens (Iggy Pop | Lust for Life | 1977)
2.6 So, fiddley-dee, fiddley-dum / Look out, baby, 'cause here I come (The Temptations | Get Ready | 1966)
2.7 Me hiding me head in the sand (The Beatles | Fixing a Hole | 1967)
2.8 Going where the weather suits my clothes (Nilsson | Everybody's Talkin | 1968)
3.1 Count your buttons before doing them up (The Rolling Stones | Between the Buttons album drawings | 1967)
3.2 When you walk through the garden / You gotta watch your back (Tom Waits | Way Down in the Hole | 1987)
3.3 Get into the groove! (Madonna | Into the Groove | 1985)
3.4 Man in the looking glass smiling away / How's your sacroiliac today? (Frank Sinatra | The Man in the Looking Glass | 1965)
4.1 I thought I saw Lauren Bacall / I thought I saw Lauren Bacall (The Clash | Car Jamming | 1982)
4.2 Sing Sing Sing (With A Swing!) (Benny Goodman and His Orchestra | Sing, Sing, Sing (Parts 1 & 2) | 1937)
Quarter-Finals Has the perrier gone straight to my head? (The Smiths | I Won't Share You | 1987)
Semi-Finals It's getting very near the end! (The Beatles | Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) | 1967)
Finals We won't say goodbye / so long, so much more (R.E.M. | Auctioneer (Another Engine) | 1985)

Brad clearly alludes with the last two quotes to the fact that this will be his last edition hosting the game. So it will be also the last edition with quotes (I admit I'm not going to be able to reproduce that awesome feature), something I'm going to miss a lot. I'm going to seize the opportunity to thank Brad for the impeccable way he has been hosting the game for so many years. I just hope to live up to the confidence he has in me as the host of the following editions. A standing ovation for Brad!!!

And now my vote for the MAA12:

2. Astor Piazzolla and the New Tango Quintet - Tango: Zero Hour (1986) vs. 1. Nils Frahm - Spaces (2013)

The change of rules on this edition (as ListyGuy previously pointed), not allowing albums included in AM Top 1000 list, rendered a very different final this time. The last four years the winners were female-fronted pop acts. As a reminder the albums were "The Archandroid," "Art Angels," The Woods" and "So Tough" (well, if we can file Sleater-Kinney under pop). Now we have two purely instrumental albums that cannot be filed under Pop genre at all. Even if I enjoyed a lot each and every one of the past winners I consider this a refreshing change. Let's see if the trend follows on successive years.

I discovered "Tango: Zero Hour" thanks to Henrik, it was one of the albums I downloaded from his computer when I visited him in Sweden for the first time many years ago (2009? 2010?). Since then I enjoyed many other albums by him, particularly "Piazzolla interpreta a Piazzolla" (1961), "Concierto de tango en el Philharmonic Hall de New York" (1965), "Adiós Nonino" (1969) and, of course, "Libertango" (1974), an album that went to semifinals on MAA8. I even included Piazzolla in my thread about "impressive musicianship" in world music (see here). Let me reproduce here what I wrote there: "Born in Argentina from Italian parents, raised in NYC in the jazz age, back to Argentina to play classic tango in night clubs and then to Paris to study classical contemporary music. With all these influences and his virtuoso playing of bandoneón (the Argentinian accordion) he created the "nuevo tango" and, in Steve Huey words for allmusic, "took an earthy, sensual, even disreputable folk music and elevated it into a sophisticated form of high art".
The good thing about "Tango: Zero Hour" is that it comes late in Piazzolla's career. All the innovations he introduced little by little throughout his career came here so fully integrated that it doesn't feel like tango with added touches of jazz and modern classical, it feels like his own brand of music, with more aspects in common with Third Stream albums (and I'm thinking about the Miles Davis albums produced by Gil Evans like "Skecthes of Spain") than with traditional tango music. Piazzolla makes here a great use of the possibilities of the quintet, with special mention to the subdued guitar of Horacio Malvicino (every appearance is a highlight) and the violin of Fernando Suárez. But the star here is of course Piazzolla himself playing his outstanding bandoneón. The feelings evoked from this music range from the unabashedly romantic (there are sublime melodies in "Milonga del ángel" or "Mumuki") to the downright diabolical (quoting Jonny Khatru, a youtuber that made a very interesting review, see here) in songs like "Tanguedia III" or "Milonga loca." Well, I think I've made clear that I love this album (and Piazzolla's music in general) and I wouldn't mind at all to see his winning but the next album was my own nomination so my vote goes for…

Nils Frahm's "Spaces," one of my favourite albums of the 2010s decade, right now at #17. Just behind Leyla McCalla's "A Day for the Hunter, a Day for the Prey," my other nomination that performed surprisingly well (I had expectations instead for Robert Fripp's "Exposure" but it was eliminated on Round 1, so were my other three nominations).
My favourite album by Nils Frahm is this live album recorded in different locations over the course of two years, reinterpreting songs from previous studio albums (by 2013 Frahm already had a solid body of work), sometimes reducing it to the essence (like "Peter" or "Tristana") but sometimes expanding on the original (specially on "Said and Done," "almost tripled in length, extrapolating the romance of the original into an almost Reichian ten-minute tour de force," in Tristan Bath's words for The Quietus).
The album has been described by Frahm himself as a "collage of field recordings rather than a live album," interacting with the audience in tracks like the humorously named "Improvisation for Piano, Laughs, Coughs and a Cell Phone." The sounds on the albums go from the intimate to the (almost) bombastic, with a varied range of emotions that prevent the album for being shallow and boring (sorry, Schüttelbirne, but I can't agree with you on that). I'm not going to do a Rank the Tracks here but let me post my personal Top 5 accompanied by professional reviews:
1. "While the excellent "Spaces," which comprises several different performances, might not totally capture the experience of seeing a Frahm concert, the eight-minute "Says" comes the closest. You can almost see him running between his instruments, setting loops and adding little flourishes to his gradually blooming wall of sound. There's a particularly great moment about five minutes in, when the rising synth line takes off as if it were finally breaking free, and then it does an upward dance that feels both wounded and victorious. It's one of those moments on Spaces—and in his concerts—where you figure out that Frahm is no average pianist, nor an average modern classical composer. Instead, he's a near-genius who makes emotional epics that scale the heights of post-rock with the mere stroke of his fingers." (Andrew Ryce for Pitchfork).
2. "This isn't to say that Frahm's pure piano performance isn't still at the core of his music. Indeed, there are plenty of pieces on here which see Nils alone at the piano, performing with as much aching beauty as he ever has. Pieces like "Over There, It's Raining" could almost have been lifted directly from "Screws," with its almost unbearably sad melody skipping up the keys, betrayed only by its slightly higher technical accomplishment." (Russell Warfield for Drowned in Sound)
3. "The Reichian "Said and Done," from "The Bells," is a highlight, Frahm's one-note figure lasting a full minute and a half before he plays a single chord. He extends the three-minute original to over nine minutes. Where the album version is restrained, here "Said and Done" is moodily cinematic, with additional swirling figures and countermelodies underpinned by that single note, growing in intensity with each repetition." (Maya Kalev for Fact)
4. "What's fascinating about Frahm's work here is how he plays with time, working strictly within its limits through tiny repeating motifs, but blowing the overall picture up over such a wide canvas that it's easy to forget how long it's taken to get to where he’s going. The almost 17-minute long medley "For - Peter - Toilet Brushes - More" is an example of that idea. Plates of coiling synth sound indebted to the new age markers set down by Jean Michel Jarre open up the track, before Frahm glides through bursts of rim-shot percussion, arpeggiated synths, and a return to the strident piano of "Said and Done". All the component parts work in miniature, based around fragments of sound and ideas that gradually merge into one despite their wildly different roots. The huge burst of applause at the end is deserved, to say the least." (Nick Neyland for Pitchfork).
5. "The brand new piece, "Hammers" makes similar use of the stage to show off Frahm's considerable chops via a high speed set of face-melting virtuoso arpeggios." (Tristan Bath for The Quietus).

Nuff said, I think. Thank you very much again, Brad, and I hope I could count with the participation of the AMers for the next editions of MAA!!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Honorio wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:14 am This time there are two quotes I haven't found on the Internet, the weeks 1.12 and 3.1. Which ones are them, Brad? Tell me and I'll include them...
This is excellent Honorio, thank you so much!

1.12 is from the amazing Clara Smith, one of the great "blue" sides from 1926:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNZcRx2I8KQ

3.1 is a bit of a cheat I suppose... actually comes from a poem. Here's another clue - can you name the source/artist/poet?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I'll walk where Schüttelbirne and Rob ran and share my favourite albums this year's tourney has opened my ears to:

1. The Feminine Complex - Livin' Love
2. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir
3. Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Utopia
4. Madrugada - Industrial Silence
5. Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
6. Hooverphonic - A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular
7. Cecil Taylor Unit - Dark unto Themselves
8. Smog - Knock Knock
9. Wayne Jarrett - Showcase, Vol. 1
10. Jenny Wilson - EXORCISM

It wouldn't be right if Zero Hour didn't finish Brad's legendary tenure as MAA chief on a high! I hope Honorio will continue his excellent commentary in this game even as host?
All I got inside is vacancy!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Brad wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:21 pm 1.12 is from the amazing Clara Smith, one of the great "blue" sides from 1926:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNZcRx2I8KQ
Edited.
Brad wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:21 pm 3.1 is a bit of a cheat I suppose... actually comes from a poem. Here's another clue - can you name the source/artist/poet?:
Oh, I see!!! It comes from the drawings on the back cover of the Rolling Stones' album "Between the Buttons" (1967), drawings made by Charlie Watts. So you post them as an homage to him on the week of his decease. Brilliant....
mileswide wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:19 pm I hope Honorio will continue his excellent commentary in this game even as host?
Don't know if excellent but I will continue writings comments, of course...
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Honorio wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:37 pm Don't know if excellent but I will continue writings comments, of course...
:mrgreen:
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Sorry for delay final results will be revealed tomorrow morning!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Moderately Acclaimed Album XII CHAMPION 2021:

Nils Frahm - Spaces
defeats Astor Piazzolla and the New Tango Quintet - Tango: Zero Hour 9-8

Past Winners:
2010: Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
2011: The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
2012: Fela Kuti and Afrika 70 - Zombie
2013: Jacques Brel - Jacques Brel - Olympia 1964
2014: Jacques Brel - [Ces gens-là]
2015: Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
2016: King Crimson - Red
2017: Saint Etienne - So Tough
2018: Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
2019: Grimes - Art Angels
2020: Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid

Honorio submits the winner!
Sweepstakes Ron won the Predict-It bracket, with 235 points - amazingly picking the tournament winner! He was followed by spiritualized (176) then Holden (162)!

I will post the full list of album nominations soon.

Thank you all for participating... stay tuned for Jirin's "Best Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2021" (sometime in December), then the 13th annual edition of MA in early 2022 with your new Host, Honorio!

I appreciate you guys!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Brad, thanks for running it this year and for all the years of Moderately Acclaimed!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I couldn't be happier!! Thank you very much Brad for hosting all these editions of MAA!!!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Yes, Brad, thanks for all these years!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Thank you, friends
Wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you!
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Thank you Brad.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Will we get a full list of nominated albums soon?
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

^No bother about making it soon Brad but I'd also like a peep at the album nominations list whenever suits!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Yeah guys I’ll try to get it out tomorrow… sorry been a rough week
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Brad wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:44 am Yeah guys I’ll try to get it out tomorrow… sorry been a rough week
Sorry mate, all in your own time, hope you're ok
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Yeah, I'm fine, just sometimes you get busy with other stuff, you know? :)

Here's the list of nominations:
acroamor 1. Conor Oberst - Ruminations
acroamor 2. Joni Mitchell - Song to a Seagull
acroamor 3. Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer
acroamor 4. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
acroamor 5. Tortoise - TNT
acroamor 6. OutKast - ATLiens
acroamor 7. Dan Deacon - Spider Man Of The Rings
acroamor 8. CAKE - Motorcade of Generosity
acroamor 9. Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
acroamor 10. Moondog - Moondog
Bang Jan 1. Bubu - Anabelas
Bang Jan 2. Hector Berlioz - Symphonie fantastique [New York Philharmonic / Leonard Bernstein]
Bang Jan 3. Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry
Bang Jan 4. Pulp - We Love Life
Bang Jan 5. The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot
bonnielaurel 1. Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
bonnielaurel 2. Sinéad O’Connor - The Lion and the Cobra
bonnielaurel 3. Astor Piazzolla - Tango: Zero Hour
bonnielaurel 4. Laura Marling - Once I Was an Eagle
bonnielaurel 5. Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl
bonnielaurel 6. Judee Sill - Judee Sill
bonnielaurel 7. Neneh Cherry - Raw Like Sushi
bonnielaurel 8. Caetano Veloso - Transa
bonnielaurel 9. Blondie - Plastic Letters
bonnielaurel 10. Tori Amos - Under the Pink
Brad 1. Pierre Akendengue - Nandipo
Brad 2. The Feminine Complex - Livin' Love
Brad 3. Bad Brains - Bad Brains
Brad 4. Television Personalities - ...And Don't the Kids Just Love It
Brad 5. Four Tops - Reach Out
Brad 6. Paul Kelly - Comedy
Brad 7. Normil Hawaiians - More Wealth Than Money
Brad 8. John Wesley Harding - Here Comes The Groom
Brad 9. Nina Simone - Fodder On My Wings
Brad 10. The "5" Royales - Dedicated to You
DaveC 1. tricot - T H E
DaveC 2. Wayne Jarrett - Showcase, Vol. 1
DaveC 3. Madrugada - Industrial Silence
DaveC 4. АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover]
DaveC 5. Yezda Urfa - Sacred Baboon
DaveC 6. Shannon Wright - Dyed in the Wool
DaveC 7. Harmonium - Les Cinq Saisons
DaveC 8. Harmonia - Deluxe
DaveC 9. Songs: Ohia - Axxess & Ace
DaveC 10. Obywatel G.C - Tak Tak
hectorthebat 1. Odyssey - Happy Together
hectorthebat 2. Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives
hectorthebat 3. Lady Gaga - Born This Way
hectorthebat 4. The marcels - Blue Moon
hectorthebat 5. The Pretty Things - s.f. sorrow
hectorthebat 6. Brenda Lee - Brenda Lee
hectorthebat 7. Barbara - Dis, quand reviendras-tu?
hectorthebat 8. Stephen stills - Stephen stills
hectorthebat 9. Jarabe de palo - La Flaca
hectorthebat 10. Peggy Lee - is that all there is
Henry 1. Utopia - Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Henry 2. Steely Dan - Katy Lied
Henry 3. The Style Council - Cafe Bleu
Henry 4. Yes - The Yes Album
Henry 5. Pink Floyd - Animals
Henry 6. Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
Henry 7. Joe Satriani - Surfing With the Alien
Henry 8. The Style Council - Our Favourite Shop
Henry 9. Todd Rundgren - Hermit of Mink Hollow
Henry 10. Todd Rundgren - Todd
Holden 1. IDLES - Brutalism
Holden 2. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
Holden 3. Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray
Holden 4. Beach House - 7
Holden 5. ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead - Source Tags & Codes
Holden 6. Echo & The Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here
Holden 7. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
Holden 8. The Strokes - Room on Fire
Honorio 1. Leyla McCalla - A Day for the Hunter, A Day for the Prey
Honorio 2. The Colourfield - Virgins and Philistines
Honorio 3. Robert Fripp - Exposure
Honorio 4. Nils Frahm - Spaces
Honorio 5. The Style Council - Café Bleu
Honorio 6. Depeche Mode - Ultra
Honorio 7. Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
Honorio 8. David Sylvian - Secrets Of The Beehive
Honorio 9. Cesaria Evora - Miss Perfumado
Honorio 10. Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Bird And Diz
jaimeW 1. Hooverphonic - A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular
jaimeW 2. Sarah McLachlan - Touch
jaimeW 3. Jenny Wilson - EXORCISM
jaimeW 4. The Cure - Bloodflowers
jaimeW 5. The Fixx - Reach the Beach
jaimeW 6. Paul Dolden - L’Ivresse de la Vitesse
jaimeW 7. Dido - No Angel
jaimeW 8. Deep Forest - Deep Forest
Jirin 1. Perfume Genius - No Shape
Jirin 2. Roy Harper - Man And Myth
Jirin 3. KARYYN - The Quanta Series
Jirin 4. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir
Jirin 5. Fever Ray - Plunge
Jirin 6. Gang Gang Dance - Kazuashita
Jirin 7. Stina Nordenstam - And She Closed Her Eyes
Jirin 8. White Denim - Fits
Jirin 9. Ben Harper - Call It What It Is
Jirin 10. Black Keys - El Camino
Kingoftonga 1. Catherine Wheel - Ferment
Kingoftonga 2. Smog [Bill Callahan] - Knock Knock
Kingoftonga 3. Neil Young - Time Fades Away
Kingoftonga 4. Jonathan Richman - I, Jonathan
Kingoftonga 5. Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers
Kingoftonga 6. Kate Bush - Aerial
Kingoftonga 7. Tori Amos - To Venus and Back
Kingoftonga 8. Silver Jews - American Water
Kingoftonga 9. Bill Drummond - The Man
Kingoftonga 10. Peter Gabriel - Up
Listyguy 1. John Coltrane - Ascension
Listyguy 2. Alvvays - Antisocialites
Listyguy 3. Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank
Listyguy 4. Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit
Listyguy 5. American Football - American Football
Listyguy 6. Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Listyguy 7. Don Cherry - Don Cherry [aka "Brown Rice"]
Listyguy 8. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Listyguy 9. Marquis de Sade - Rue De Siam
Listyguy 10. McCoy Tyner - Enlightenment
Madzong 1. The Bats - Daddy's Highway
Madzong 2. Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke
Madzong 3. David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
Madzong 4. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
Madzong 5. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
mileswide 1. Arab Strap - Philophobia
mileswide 2. Boris - Pink
mileswide 3. Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm
mileswide 4. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever
mileswide 5. Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey
mileswide 6. Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban
mileswide 7. Mercury Rev - Yerself Is Steam
mileswide 8. The Last Poets - This Is Madness
mileswide 9. Pierre Henry - Le voyage, d'après le livre des morts tibétain
mileswide 10. Håkan Hellström - Känn ingen sorg för mig Göteborg
Nassim 1. Flavien Berger - Contre
Nassim 2. Built to Spill - Keep It Like a Secret
Nassim 3. Smog - Knock Knock
Nassim 4. Daniel Johnston - 1990*
Nassim 5. Shame - Songs of Praise
Nassim 6. Borokov Borokov - Eerlijk Delen
Nassim 7. Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle
Nassim 8. Carcass - Heartwork
Nassim 9. Espers - Espers II
Nassim 10. Black Grape - It's Great When You're Straight… Yeah
rdwdbob 1. Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous
rdwdbob 2. My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
rdwdbob 3. KD Lang - Invincible Summer
rdwdbob 4. Roberta Flack - Oasis
rdwdbob 5. Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour Of Bewilderbeast
rdwdbob 6. Duran Duran - Duran Duran (The Wedding Album)
rdwdbob 7. The Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
rdwdbob 8. Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World
rdwdbob 9. Weezer - Make Believe
rdwdbob 10. Josh Rouse - Nashville
Rob 1. Harold Budd - The Pavilion Of Dreams
Rob 2. Planxty - Planxty
Rob 3. Charlie Musselwhite - Stand Back! Here Comes Charley Musselwhite’s South Side Band
Rob 4. Madlib - Shades of Blue: Madlib Invades Blue Note
Rob 5. Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator
Rob 6. John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers - A Hard Road
Rob 7. 10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
Rob 8. Kris Kristofferson - Kristofferson
Rob 9. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Sleeps With Angels
Rob 10. Fatima Al Qadri - Atlantique (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Romain 1. Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole
Romain 2. Wax Tailor - By Any Beats Necessary
Romain 3. The Black Keys - El Camino
Romain 4. Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Nancy & Lee
Romain 5. La Femme - Psycho Tropical Berlin
Romain 6. M83 - Saturday = youth
Romain 7. Christine and The Queens - Chaleur Humaine
rumpdoll 1. Naked Lunch - Songs for the Exhausted
rumpdoll 2. März - Love Streams
rumpdoll 3. Ka - Honor killed the Samurai
rumpdoll 4. Mariah - Utakata No Hibi
rumpdoll 5. Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze
rumpdoll 6. Ghost Poet - Dark Days + Canapés
Safetycat 1. The Bats - Daddy's Highway
Safetycat 2. Hot Chip - In Our Heads
Safetycat 3. Florence + The Machine - Lungs
Safetycat 4. The Waterboys - This Is the Sea
Safetycat 5. Split Enz - Dizrythmia
Safetycat 6. R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction
Safetycat 7. Tally Hall - Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum
Safetycat 8. Foals - What Went Down
Safetycat 9. Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Safetycat 10. Scissor Sisters - Ta-Da
Schüttelbirne 1. Cecil Taylor Unit - Dark to Themselves
Schüttelbirne 2. Faust - Faust
Schüttelbirne 3. Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
Schüttelbirne 4. Richard Dawson - 2020
Schüttelbirne 5. Carla Bley & Paul Haines - Escalator Over the Hill
Schüttelbirne 6. Oscar Brown Jr. - Sin & Soul
Schüttelbirne 7. Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra
Schüttelbirne 8. Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
Schüttelbirne 9. Skylark - Seven Words from the Cross
Schüttelbirne 10. These New Puritans - Hidden
spiritualized 1. Piano Magic - Low Birth Weight
spiritualized 2. Rollerskate Skinny - Shoulder Voices
spiritualized 3. Woods - City Sun Eater in the River of Light
spiritualized 4. The Pentangle - Basket of Light
spiritualized 5. Strapping Young Lad - SYL
spiritualized 6. Placebo - Placebo
spiritualized 7. The Roots - Game Theory
spiritualized 8. U2 - Pop
spiritualized 9. Silent Servant - Negative Fascination
spiritualized 10. SUUNS - Images du Futur
Wisnu Tirta Aji 1. Ten2Five - I Will Fly
Wisnu Tirta Aji 2. The Outfield - Play Deep
Wisnu Tirta Aji 3. Air Supply - Lost in Love
Wisnu Tirta Aji 4. Echosmith - Talking Dreams
Wisnu Tirta Aji 5. Sam Hunt - Montevallo
Wisnu Tirta Aji 6. Exile - Mixed Emotions
Wisnu Tirta Aji 7. Dokken - Tooth and Nail
Wisnu Tirta Aji 8. Barry Ryan - Barry Ryan Sings Paul Ryan
Wisnu Tirta Aji 9. Kelsea Ballerini - The First Time
Wisnu Tirta Aji 10. Century - ...And Soul It Goes
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Hope you don't mind but, like I did in previous years, I ranked the nominators according to the "success" of our nominations, one point for every album on Round 2, one point for every album on Round 3, etc. And this year the winner was neither bonnielaurel nor me (the ones who nominated the two albums on the final) but… Listyguy! Four of his nominations passed to round 2, 2 of them getting to round 4 ("Ascension" and "American Football") and one of them to semifinals ("Expensive Shit"). The Top 5 (6 this time) was:
1. Listyguy (13 points)
2 (tie). bonnielaurel and Honorio (11 points)
4 (tie). Jirin, Kingoftonga and Nassim (8 points)
The provisional winners after round 1 were Madzong and Romain, with 5/5 nominations passing to round 2. And the last position was for Wisnu Tirta Aji, with 0/5 of his nominations passing to round 2.
The winners of the last 3 editions were:
MAA11: bonnielaurel
MAA10: Brad
MAA9: Rob
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Honorio wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:14 am The final! As I did on the previous 6 editions, these are the songs where Brad's quotes come from. Again we have a fantastic collection of quotes and a fantastic collection of songs. If you click on the following links you will find (if available) live versions or official clips of the songs to showcase the look of the artists. If you prefer to listen to the original studio versions you have the Spotify playlist.
Weeks later, I finally worked my way through these clips... great stuff here Honorio! Loved the Tom Waits, Johnny Cash & (of course) R.E.M. footage, but especially thrilled by the Caetano Veloso clip... not entirely sure what the occasion was, but such a riveting performance!

Thank you again!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”