Express your love for random artists in this thread.

Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Express your love for random artists in this thread.

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Sometimes I am listening to an artist that I have loved for years and just want to sit down and write a little piece about why I love that artist. I love spreading positive discussions on these forms and what better way to do that than sit down and write about some of your favorite artists!

I can't wait to hear about some of your fav artists!
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Re: Express your love for random artists in this thread.

Welp, I'll start!

GREEN DAY

Even after listening to hundreds of genres and thousands of albums, I always comeback to and love Green Day's early catalog. Depeche Mode, Radiohead, Kanye West, Nine Inch Nails, etc... may be artists I like more overall, I can't deny the impact Green Day has had on me as a music listener.

Green Day's early years are still some of my favorite streak of albums of all time. Even though I am well aware that Green Day is far from the most technical or unique band in the world, the blend of nostalgia, infectious songwriting, stoner punk aesthetic, and overall solid albums make their 90s material some of my favorites ever. Their first two albums on Lookout records, 39/Smooth and Kerplunk, radiate energy that is very primitive yet relatable. The songwriting is about as basic as it gets when it comes to writing rebellious punk tracks about love and self-esteem but the way they deliver with their energy and juvenile presence makes it some of my favorites. Even when they signed to a major label and released Dookie in 1994, they held on to that stoner punk/care-free image while producing one of the greatest albums of all time. Those first three albums will always be my favorite of them. Their young energy, catchy songs, passionate performances and live performances from this era in my opinion is the sound of one of the most passionate bands of all time. The following two album, Insomniac and Nimrod were great followups that were often darker, more aggressive, and often showed Green Day stepping out of their box while sticking true to the elements I loved of them. Both are great albums that more often than not radiate the same energy as my favorite material from them.

In the 21st century, Green Day started having a more bumpy discog for my personal taste regarding them. Warning from 2000 was a good album that featured some very fun highlights but up to that point was their most flawed record. American Idiot in 2004 introduced a whole new fanbase for the band and is an album that at one point would have been tied with Dookie for me. But as the years go on and I appreciate their older material more, American Idiot, while still a very very solid record, is also a product of its time and is aging much more as a time capsule for 2004 rather than a staple in their discog. Ever since then I haven't enjoyed a Green Day album enough to rate any of them in the green. Between the bloated rock operas in 21st Century Breakdown, the messy trilogy, the attempted throwback on Revolution Radio, and the embarrassing Father of All, Green Day have lost touch with much of what made me love them to begin with and while I don't mind band's changing things up, they way they chose to do it was by watering down their sound.

Overall, despite a relative fall from grace in my opinion, I never get old or tired of coming back to their first five albums to the point where I even have a tatto that comes from the back cover of their debut album!
Edre the Depeche Head
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Nice write-up, Edre

My relationship with Green Day is one of mild interest initially, pure fandom for a while and a fall from grace, as you put it yourself.
I liked Dookie as an introducer for the Green Day Californian-style punk. I was in America at the time of its release, and Basket Case was all over the place.
When I came back to Europe, they disappeared from my radar until a fateful evening in Birmingham, UK where my wife dragged me to one of their "21st Century Breakdown" tour. We were enthralled. On stage, GD are simply a reference, they're fun, raucous and a blast to watch, bringing kids on stage but never forgetting how to rock.
As we didn't see the show til the end (limited babysitter time, you see ?) and we found out they played in Manchester 2 days later, we just looked at each other with my wife and decided what the hell, let's go, this time with the kids (3 of them, aged 2,6 and 10 !). And we loved it again.
Armed with our blissed smiles, we decided to enroll in their fanclub and got randomly selected to see them in Berlin at the MTV Video Awards (with Foo Fighters, Beyoncé, Shakirah, U2 and...Katy Perry and Tokyo Hotel...) - I spare you the hoops I had to go through to get us to Berlin...
From then on, it was Manchester + Frank Turner, Wembley (+ Joan Jett) and finally Paris, with Paramore and Billy Talent.

These concerts were mindblowing and we probably will never do this again.

After this, I think we got GD'd out cold. Of course we went back through their whole discography, but never got really interested beyond "21st Century Breakdown"
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

spiritualized wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:41 pm Nice write-up, Edre

My relationship with Green Day is one of mild interest initially, pure fandom for a while and a fall from grace, as you put it yourself.
I liked Dookie as an introducer for the Green Day Californian-style punk. I was in America at the time of its release, and Basket Case was all over the place.
When I came back to Europe, they disappeared from my radar until a fateful evening in Birmingham, UK where my wife dragged me to one of their "21st Century Breakdown" tour. We were enthralled. On stage, GD are simply a reference, they're fun, raucous and a blast to watch, bringing kids on stage but never forgetting how to rock.
As we didn't see the show til the end (limited babysitter time, you see ?) and we found out they played in Manchester 2 days later, we just looked at each other with my wife and decided what the hell, let's go, this time with the kids (3 of them, aged 2,6 and 10 !). And we loved it again.
Armed with our blissed smiles, we decided to enroll in their fanclub and got randomly selected to see them in Berlin at the MTV Video Awards (with Foo Fighters, Beyoncé, Shakirah, U2 and...Katy Perry and Tokyo Hotel...) - I spare you the hoops I had to go through to get us to Berlin...
From then on, it was Manchester + Frank Turner, Wembley (+ Joan Jett) and finally Paris, with Paramore and Billy Talent.

After this, I think we got GD'd out cold. Of course we went back through their whole discography, but never got really interested beyond "21st Century Breakdown"
I loved reading this. As someone just entering adulthood, I was obviously not there when my favorite releases of them were released but despite that, they still are on my list of artists I want to see live! I can't wait to see more write-ups of other users favorite artists so I am glad you took the time to respond!
Edre the Depeche Head
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I really like Weezer
acr0320
Are You Experienced?

Post by acr0320 »

Growing up my folks loved playing some singles from this Spanish duo called Pimpinela. I loved these songs growing up, and over the last couple months have been diving into the duo’s discography out of a sense of nostalgia. I’ve been really pleasantly surprised by how much I love the albums I’ve heard of theirs, the deep cuts are every bit as good as the big hits. It’s hard to explain what it is that I love so much about the music. Honestly the best way I could describe it would be to say it feels like Spanish soap operas compressed down to some really catchy songs. Truly a great gem of 80s Latin pop, really loved digging deeper into their music
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

spiritualized wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:41 pm Nice write-up, Edre

Strictly speaking, my love, we missed Frank Turner... who I still want to see ;)
I’m just a girl... (don’t you think I know exactly where I stand ?)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”