New Poll/Game ! Covers vs Originals 2021 - NOMINATION PHASE

spiritualized
Full of Fire

New Poll/Game ! Covers vs Originals 2021 - NOMINATION PHASE

Post by spiritualized »

Welcome to the newest game in town !

The idea behind this is to be able to pit your opinions on what are the best covers in the musical world by matching them against their originals.

Of course, this should lead to multiple discussions whether which one is best, whether the covering artists made the song into their own by changing it drastically or sticking to the original, but refreshing it.

There are probably thousands if not millions of cover songs in the musical sphere, so we're going to have to stick to a few rules.

1. First and foremost, you, the nominator, will have to believe the cover is somehow better than the original. It could be because of artistic qualities, but could be because you knew the cover before the original and never quite adhered to the initial creation.

2. Original old folk songs renewed by later artists (and I can think of a few) are eligible, you just need to find the oldest recorded version of the song to match against.

3. Any language is eligible, instrumentals are too.

The modus operandi :

1. You nominate 10 songs and PM them to me, with Spotify or YT links for both songs. Please rank your nominations in the order you wish them to be taken. In case of duplicates, I will move to the next one.
2. You may nominate several covers for one original, each will count as one of your nomination
3. Initially, there will be a first round of 128 songs in groups of 4, unseeded, unless the pools are severely unbalanced (if one of the song is acclaimed, don't hesitate to give its ranking). This may increase or decrease, depending on the amount of people playing
4. 2 groups of 4 will be presented each week. You will vote for what you think is the best for each match-up
5. If the "original" wins, the song is removed from the pool altogether. The subsequent rounds will therefore pit cover versions against each other. There may be seeding in the second round to avoid unfair matching.

I think all is said, please send me your lists and let's have a bit of fun !
No deadline for the moment, but I'll revisit next weekend and advise everyone of the take-up on this game.
Henry
Into the Groove

Re: New Poll/Game ! Covers vs Originals 2021 - NOMINATION PHASE

Post by Henry »

Folks may want to look at the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9G6mVo_AbQ
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

bump !

We have 70 songs, 58 remain

Received nominations from
Rob
Spiritualized
Henry
bonnielaurel
SL3
hero
Schüttelbirne
mroldies
The Only Way Is Up

Post by mroldies »

I don't want to offend, anger or upset anyone here.
I'm just copying an opinion from another online music forum that I agree with.

I say balderdash. Here on this board, we have made the distinciton between a cover song and a remake. A cover song came out roughly the same time as the "original". Everything else is a remake. As far as using your term "by definition", here is Don McLean's take...

The word “cover” is now used by music writers and music fans incorrectly. They use it to describe any attempt by an artist to perform old songs or previously recorded material. The use of this term gives them a bit of authority since it makes them sound like they are in the music business. They are in fact ignorant of what a cover version of a song really is.

Back in the days of black radio stations and white radio stations (i.e. segregation), if a black act had a hot record the white kids would find out and want to hear it on “their” radio station. This would prompt the record company to bring a white act into the recording studio and cut an exact, but white, version of the song to give to the white radio stations to play and thus keep the black act where it belonged, on black radio. A “cover” version of a song is a racist tool. Many examples can be found from “Sha Boom” to “Good Lovin’” It is NOT a term intended to be used to describe a valid interpretation of an old song. In that case every pop singer is nothing more than a cover artist (a derogatory description if ever there was one). I am not a “cover” artist and I do not do “covers”. The Crewcuts were cover artists.

The term has morphed into its present misuse and I suppose I’ll not see this change anytime soon but I do hope the readers of this website and fans who are kind enough to write concert reviews will not use this term.

Madonna did not “cover” American Pie, she just sang an old song, and made an old songwriter mighty happy.

Thanks, DON McLEAN
August 26, 2004
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

We had a great mate here called Bruce or Hymie I think. You remind me a lot of his style. You wouldn't be a good friend of him by any chance?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Romain wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:28 pm We had a great mate here called Bruce or Hymie I think. You remind me a lot of his style. You wouldn't be a good friend of him by any chance?
I had an inkling too.
The initial disclaimer raised a lot of flags.

Mr Oldies, why don't you participate ?
I have a suggestion :
mroldies
The Only Way Is Up

Post by mroldies »

I'm sorry, but I don't think I have "a specific style". I just wrote my opinion decently.

My father used to say:
Let's clarify the terms first to name the same thing with the same term. And only then we can discuss.

And why am I not voting?
All I need is music magazine charts. I mainly deal with the identification of recordings.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Cover is just one of those terms where the meaning changed over decades. Happens all the time.
mroldies
The Only Way Is Up

Post by mroldies »

Rob wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:14 am Cover is just one of those terms where the meaning changed over decades. Happens all the time.
I'm so sorry, but I have to answer you, that I see what you have written only as a convenient justification.
Bread still means bread, rocket still means rocket.
The term "cover version" originated in the 1950s. At that time, he described the way the next recording was made and why it was made. And the term still belongs to that period.

I suppose that for later new versions of old hits, it is appropriate to use terms such as: remake, reworking, redone, re-recording, new rendition, adapting previous song, new version ...
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

I don't agree.
You can't compare bread with cover version because their significance in the world is completely different. Bread is one of (if not the) most basic food, so obviously the word will not change. Cover version however describes a concept that was only made possible in the late 19th century through recording techniques. Before the grammophon was invented the concept of a recording didn't exist. So you can well guess that it needs a few years to introduce the basic mechanics before people start to distinguish between original version and different version and by that point we're already in the 20th century. So you're comparing a word that has been around for literally thousands of years with a word that has been around for about a hundred. (Rocket has also been around for about 400 years, btw -> from the Italian word rocchetta)
Different version needs to have a specific word, and people 'chose' cover for it (it's not really a conscious choice, it's more or less something that was agreed on without people even being aware they were changing language).
It's clear that there was a period where people tried to cash in on a song's success by recording their own version of it in the hopes that people who only knew the song's title would buy their version. That still exists: Just look at the Direct-to-DVD market with titles that are VERY similar to current blockbusters. However, saying that this is the ONLY true meaning of the word cover is not correct. You may think it should be this way, and you may very well think that (I couldn't possibly comment); but if you look in any dictionary or any encyclopedic article on 'cover version' you will find a definition like this: "Recording of a song not done by the original artist."

Most people use the word like this. And if 98% of people agree on a definition and 0,5% insist that THEY are the ones who are wrong, something is most probably off.

P.S. The German Wikipedia article for 'cover version' defines 'remake' as a "different version of the same song by the original artist", so the term remake can't replace cover version as a word. :mrgreen:
hero
Strange Fruit

Post by hero »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:50 pm I don't agree.
You can't compare bread with cover version because their significance in the world is completely different. Bread is one of (if not the) most basic food, so obviously the word will not change. Cover version however describes a concept that was only made possible in the late 19th century through recording techniques. Before the grammophon was invented the concept of a recording didn't exist. So you can well guess that it needs a few years to introduce the basic mechanics before people start to distinguish between original version and different version and by that point we're already in the 20th century. So you're comparing a word that has been around for literally thousands of years with a word that has been around for about a hundred. (Rocket has also been around for about 400 years, btw -> from the Italian word rocchetta)
Different version needs to have a specific word, and people 'chose' cover for it (it's not really a conscious choice, it's more or less something that was agreed on without people even being aware they were changing language).
It's clear that there was a period where people tried to cash in on a song's success by recording their own version of it in the hopes that people who only knew the song's title would buy their version. That still exists: Just look at the Direct-to-DVD market with titles that are VERY similar to current blockbusters. However, saying that this is the ONLY true meaning of the word cover is not correct. You may think it should be this way, and you may very well think that (I couldn't possibly comment); but if you look in any dictionary or any encyclopedic article on 'cover version' you will find a definition like this: "Recording of a song not done by the original artist."

Most people use the word like this. And if 98% of people agree on a definition and 0,5% insist that THEY are the ones who are wrong, something is most probably off.

P.S. The German Wikipedia article for 'cover version' defines 'remake' as a "different version of the same song by the original artist", so the term remake can't replace cover version as a word. :mrgreen:
I totally agree with every word in here. Language is always evolving and as long as people has the same understanding of a word, that is the new definition. There are millions of words in all languages evolving throughout time. For example the word Girl meant a young person regardless of their sex. If you would use Girl like that today, everybody would misunderstand you. Therefor everyone uses it different today meaning a young woman instead. Gay is a perfect example as well. You can still here the word gay in a lot of songs from the 60's and 70's, before it come to mean something else.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

A lot of my favorite covers (or remakes, or whatever you want to call them) are either obvious choices (I Heard It Through the Grapevine, All Along the Watchtower, Hallelujah, Respect, Hurt, Mr. Tambourine Man) or they're the reverse, where the original is obviously more revered, so the covers wouldn't fare well in this format (Wilson Pickett's Hey Jude, Prince et al's While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Sturgill Simpson's In Bloom, Playing for Change's The Weight and Ripple)... I don't have many that hit the sweet spot this game is geared toward, so I'm probably going to sit this one out. But I'm glad there's a space to give love to some of these, because I've been criticized for nominating covers for other games in the past, and I always thought discovering a great cover is just as valuable as discovering a great original song! It's hard to make a new version of a great song that truly stands out, and that should be celebrated.
mroldies
The Only Way Is Up

Post by mroldies »

My English is poor and I can't discuss it in detail with you. I would just like to write this:

Percent argumentation?
In our country, 99 percent of people pronounce some foreign words (names) incorrectly and are convinced that their pronunciation is correct.

The term "cover" means "a rival version".
When I write that Pat Boone's "Ain't That A Shame" is a cover version of Fats Domino's "Ain't That A Shame", then I can't write that GFR's "The Loco-Motion" is a cover version of "The Loco- Motion" by Little Eva .
I just agree with Don McLean's view, which I copied above.

There is probably no point in arguing more about it. We just have a different perspective.
Cadavaca
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Cadavaca »

99 percent of people pronounce some foreign words (names) incorrectly and are convinced that their pronunciation is correct.
This sounds like 1% of people are pronouncing those words incorrectly then. "Correct" is determined within the language, not by some external authority.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Just saw these post now. mroldies is without doubt Bruce/Hymie and has been banned.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Henrik wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:06 pm Just saw these post now. mroldies is without doubt Bruce/Hymie and has been banned.
Thanks Henrik,
I think this was wise.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Well done, Henrik. Sorry for not doing myself, been a busy week.
Bruce is getting a new level of sophistication trying to get again into the forum. This time he pretended to be from Czech Republic! :o
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

... who doesn't speak English well but knows a singer unknown in Europe who talks about the racial problems inherent in the United States and has an unhealthy obsession with the skin color of people.
It was funny. Short but funny!

Bruce, if you read me, from the first word of your first message, we immediately knew it was you because you express yourself in such a special way. Please leave us alone. Thanks.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

OK - State of Play as of Saturday

Adding
Nassim
acroamor
Romain
Cadavaca
Miguel
phil

to the roster, we have room for 1 more list, and we should be able to reach the 128 mark. There are a few duplicates (and a clear runaway for the most nominations) and a couple of songs covered (yes that word again) by different artists. But overall, this is an excellent list. Just need one more !
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Which is the clear runaway I wonder, Hurt or Hallelujah??
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm pretty sure it is Rockstar by Nickelback with the cover by Scott Bradlee.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Holden wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:32 pm Which is the clear runaway I wonder, Hurt or Hallelujah??
All along the watchtower ?
Hurt is a tough one for me, I like the original better by a fair margin but I also think it's a textbook example of what a great cover is, something that leads to something really different from the original, not just a straight copy or a lazy slowed down folk rendition
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Nassim wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:08 pm
Holden wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:32 pm Which is the clear runaway I wonder, Hurt or Hallelujah??
All along the watchtower ?
Hurt is a tough one for me, I like the original better by a fair margin but I also think it's a textbook example of what a great cover is, something that leads to something really different from the original, not just a straight copy or a lazy slowed down folk rendition
Shucks forgot about that one! That’s probably it. Both versions of that are super good but also so unique
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Actually....None of those (and there were two clear runaways...)
I needed ONE MORE list, The Last Enemy just provided it...So you will know soon ! The game starts tomorrow
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

Henrik wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:06 pm Just saw these post now. mroldies is without doubt Bruce/Hymie and has been banned.
I'm pretty positive he's not. I've known Bruce for quite a while longer than you guys have and posting Czech songs, asking what the English original is is not Bruce. Bruce would probably know the English original, especially of songs from the 50s/60s, but would not even bother checking into Czech stuff.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

pauldrach wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:15 pm
I'm pretty positive he's not. I've known Bruce for quite a while longer than you guys have and posting Czech songs, asking what the English original is is not Bruce. Bruce would probably know the English original, especially of songs from the 50s/60s, but would not even bother checking into Czech stuff.
At the same time, it took me all of five seconds to find Bruce posting that exact Don McLean quote on his other forum, which feels like way too much of a coincidence. It's the same shtick as when he tried to act like Hymie was just Bruce's biggest fan - the Czech stuff reads like a cheap attempt at plausible deniability before immediately posting with his same condescending ways in this thread.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Holy crap, why the hell does Bruce keep coming back JUST TO ARGUE with random people. Does he have a life?
Edre the Depeche Head
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:34 pm
pauldrach wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:15 pm
At the same time, it took me all of five seconds to find Bruce posting that exact Don McLean quote on his other forum, which feels like way too much of a coincidence. It's the same shtick as when he tried to act like Hymie was just Bruce's biggest fan - the Czech stuff reads like a cheap attempt at plausible deniability before immediately posting with his same condescending ways in this thread.
Bruce posted it on DDD after he saw the same quote here because it fit the topic and we all know how adamant Bruce is about the definition of the terms. You can't ban him from still checking out the AM forum and he does still visit it. But, ok, if you want to ban random Czech people just because they insist on the older definition of the term cover, which btw is certainly not Bruce's invention, go ahead.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Btw, Henrik, can you see the IP adresses of posters? If mroldies posted with an American IP adress, you're probably right that it's Bruce. If it was a Czech one, an apology might be in order.
nquoid
Wannabe

Post by nquoid »

pauldrach wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:14 pm Btw, Henrik, can you see the IP adresses of posters? If mroldies posted with an American IP adress, you're probably right that it's Bruce. If it was a Czech one, an apology might be in order.
Except VPNs exist. Writing style matters far more than location in the current state of the internet.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Googling mroldies and Czech does bring up someone with that username on a variety of websites asking about Czech music, at least one of which was dated 2006. So, it is entirely possible they stumbled across our forum in their decade-plus search for answers (and that search is clearly about cover versions and thus could lead to this apparent coincidence).
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

pauldrach wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:12 pm Bruce posted it on DDD after he saw the same quote here because it fit the topic and we all know how adamant Bruce is about the definition of the terms. You can't ban him from still checking out the AM forum and he does still visit it. But, ok, if you want to ban random Czech people just because they insist on the older definition of the term cover, which btw is certainly not Bruce's invention, go ahead.
There is just no way that a random newcomer chimes in into an argument that doesn't even exist on the forum apart from Bruce's older posts with the exact line of reasoning that Bruce has been known for, and even putting a prefix saying that he doesn't want to offend anyone a few weeks after Bruce has been banned after repeatedly doing exact that. That prefix just doesn't make any sense if the poster isn't Bruce himself. Also, Bruce already has a history of blatantly lying when it comes to revealing his identity. But yes, disguising as a Czech oldies fan is a new low even for him.
nquoid
Wannabe

Post by nquoid »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:58 pm Googling mroldies and Czech does bring up someone with that username on a variety of websites asking about Czech music, at least one of which was dated 2006. So, it is entirely possible they stumbled across our forum in their decade-plus search for answers (and that search is clearly about cover versions and thus could lead to this apparent coincidence).
If anything this makes me doubt it more, if mroldies was registered to the forum that they sourced the comment from and asking the same questions then maybe. But the fact that they're browsing that forum enough to directly quote Bruce a few hours after he posted it there, but isn't asking the same questions seems highly suspicious.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

nquoid wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:09 pm
BleuPanda wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:58 pm Googling mroldies and Czech does bring up someone with that username on a variety of websites asking about Czech music, at least one of which was dated 2006. So, it is entirely possible they stumbled across our forum in their decade-plus search for answers (and that search is clearly about cover versions and thus could lead to this apparent coincidence).
If anything this makes me doubt it more, if mroldies was registered to the forum that they sourced the comment from and asking the same questions then maybe. But the fact that they're browsing that forum enough to directly quote Bruce a few hours after he posted it there, but isn't asking the same questions seems highly suspicious.
To be clear, the forum post I found with Bruce saying the same quote is also nearly a decade old.
nquoid
Wannabe

Post by nquoid »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:14 pm
nquoid wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:09 pm
To be clear, the forum post I found with Bruce saying the same quote is also nearly a decade old.
Ahh I saw this one from around the same time (although might be different time zones confusing me)

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/forum/view ... 08#p724208
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

...you're right and I must have only looked at when the thread itself started.

But I do think the time shows mroldies posting it here and then Bruce posting it there, so pauldrach could be right that Bruce is simply lurking and this Don McLean quote caught his eye (Bruce's post was the first in the thread you linked in over a year)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Checked the IPs and mroldies and Karel K. share the same IP.
Not the same as Bruce/SavoyBG/Hymie though...
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Considering Bruce has a morbid fascination with this forum, I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a Czech alias to cover his tracks.
Besides, if mroldies was banned unfairly and created Karel K, wouldn't he consider complaining of being banned unfairly rather than go straight into a factual question ? I would...

I personally felt that the comments on the etymology of the word "cover" was textbook Hymie. The disclaimer at the beginning of the post was too.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Googling "mroldies" brings up this thread from a German forum: https://www.memoryradio.de/memoryforum/ ... f=4&t=8300
There he writes the exact same text he writes in one of his threads here, just in German (probably using Google Translate). It was posted here first, btw.

I can't comment on whether he-who-shall-not-be-named would spend time on a German Schlager forum.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Honorio wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:38 am Checked the IPs and mroldies and Karel K. share the same IP.
Not the same as Bruce/SavoyBG/Hymie though...
Well, IMO this should be enough to unban poor Karel until he commits a bannable offence himself. "mroldies" is not a name Bruce would have used in 2006 on completely different forums. Bruce does not refer to the music he likes as "oldies" and never has. Yes, he has always been one to visit different sites (I believe he's had an RYM account once) but usually under the name of Bruce. Also, Bruce is not capable of speaking German. Even though I admit that the guy on memoryradio does not seem to be a native German speaker and may have even used a web translator.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nah, he isn’t Hymie. I believe Hymie might be trying to break into Stereogum’s comments section.
CED614AB-F45A-47E7-89BA-E8A174F107F2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I don't get upset at Bruce very often and would prefer to just consider his point and perhaps consider using the term remakes when appropriate. Otherwise, we could clarify that this forum uses an expansive version of the term "cover" despite the documented protestations of the great Don McLean.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I wrote this in a pm to Hymie in 2019:

”[…] if you ever write any of those offensive posts again, you will be permanently banned. If you would then try to come back again, I would ban anyone who writes in a similar style.”

I’m sticking to that last sentence as long as I think someone is Bruce/Hymie (and I still do in this case). I let him stay in the forum a lot longer than some of you felt was reasonable, but now when he is banned I really don’t want him or his beaviour back.

Of course, I’m incredibly sorry to anyone else who gets banned due to this strategy.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:59 pm I wrote this in a pm to Hymie in 2019:

”[…] if you ever write any of those offensive posts again, you will be permanently banned. If you would then try to come back again, I would ban anyone who writes in a similar style.”

I’m sticking to that last sentence as long as I think someone is Bruce/Hymie (and I still do in this case). I let him stay in the forum a lot longer than some of you felt was reasonable, but now when he is banned I really don’t want him or his beaviour back.

Of course, I’m incredibly sorry to anyone else who gets banned due to this strategy.
Well, I guess Karel will have to "Czech" out another forum. Maybe one devoted to "Prague" rock.

I'll see myself out...
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Sorry, Henrik, but this is turning into a completely ridiculous witch hunt. What's your reasoning for still thinking mroldies is Bruce? As I see it, all evidence points against it. And banning people simply for writing in a certain (completely inoffensive) "style", which is all mroldies did, seems inacceptable to me. Of course this is your forum and wonderful site and you can do whatever you want here but this seems to cross a line.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Sorry pauldrach but I agree with Henrik in this. If mroldies had entered the forum again as Karel K. and (as spiritualized previously said) asked for the reason for his ban we could consider to keep him as a member. But he entered in a masked way as if it was a new member. As a moderator I don't like banned members getting again to the forum in disguise. Unless they state it. Then we can talk.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”